[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 463
Thread images: 90
File: 1.jpg (108 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1.jpg
108 KB, 640x480
So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0 (no-trip electric bogaloo). At this point it either seems like Miyamoto Sakurai (and the higher ups) legitimately don't care about the fans of their game franchise....or maybe something much worse...

What if Mashpotato Samurai legitimately can't recreate the "bugs" in Melee? What if they have been trying to recreate the melee gameplay with the new platform all this time and through some fluke in all coding they can't recreate it correctly? What if our Senpai-kun has been taking the brunt backlash of the Smash community so they don't have to bear the crushing fact that any form of melee can't be re-created? He'd rather take on full force of all of our bitching and moaning so we don't have to know the ugly sad truth.

The game we want can't be made.
>>
File: 1286375704921.png (13 KB, 468x425) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286375704921.png
13 KB, 468x425
>>262672581
>>
>we
Speak for yourself, faggot. Even the competitive community it's excited with it. A good speed and pacing, combos are possible,, it's less floaty and new mechanics such as the new L-cancelling which was already discussed, having different landing lags for different attacks, the new ledge grab mechanic and the impossibily all mix up into a new, great game for both the casual and competitive audience.
The game you wanted was made in 2001 and then remaded as PM. Play that if you want, but please stop being an enourmous faggot.

Though that, by your image, I guess your little anus still hurts from having both Ice Climers AND chained combos removed.
>>
>implying Nintendo should cater to only tourneyfags
>>
>>262672581
>we want
I want a game with at least a third of the roster being viable.
>>
File: 1286375748166.jpg (2 KB, 126x103) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286375748166.jpg
2 KB, 126x103
Shitposts are alive and well.
>>
I hate Melee purists.
>>
Can't wait to see the 100+ guaranteed replies.
>>
Honestly I feel like Smash 4 is working to combine a bunch of good aspects from the previous entries. I am looking forward to seeing the final product
>>
>>262673652
>Implying melee purist.
>Implying nobody is looking forward to having to wait for release then a smash 4 Project M.
>>
File: 1409184663950.png (416 KB, 623x527) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409184663950.png
416 KB, 623x527
>>262672581
>What if Mashpotato Samurai legitimately can't recreate the "bugs" in Melee?
>>
You know that competitive players make up a very small portion of "the fans" right?

Sakurai himself thinks of Smash as a party game. Why people try to play Smash competitively when it wasn't designed to be is beyond me.

You know who Smash is made for? Nintendo fans. People who want to see a game with Mario and Pikachu on the same screen.
When you were little and played Smash 64 for the first time, did you care about the competitive scene? No.
There are hundreds of thousands of kids that are excited for this game, just like you were for the first game.

Competitive players are entitled assholes who think that the entire Smash Bros franchise revolves around their little tournaments. It doesn't.
>>
>>262674021
fucking this
>>
>>262672581
Well, I have a Jap 3DS and I am playing the demo right now.

The game is fucking perfect. There, said it. It feels like Brawl, if Brawl was a perfect game.

Think Brawl but flaws are gone. Its smooth as fuck and hitting your opponent feels great. It feels more competitive than Brawl ever did.
>>
File: 1410039209095.png (2 MB, 1214x1614) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410039209095.png
2 MB, 1214x1614
>>262674021
Why is 4chan the only place that doesn't consider smash a fighting game? Smash is even apart of the FGC.
>>
I like Melee more than Brawl, but I don't understand why you want the upcoming game to be exactly like it. You don't have to have wavedashing to make a competitively viable Smash game if 64 is anything to go by

I'm just hoping Smash 4 hits the middle ground well enough by having a fast enough pace. Going by what we know so far it's already shaping up better than Brawl to begin with, though we've yet to see the final build in practice.
>>
i liked brawl, stop thinking we're all tourneyfags who only care for melee.
>>
>>262674181
You can't kill an opponent with the numbers going up! What is this North Korea???
>>
>>262674181
Because the FGC is a bunch of niggers fapping over Mahvel and Street Fighter while /v/ actually knows about good fighting games.
>>
>>262672581

You are fucking retarded.

Literally no one outside of the autistic online competitive community thinks Melee is better than Brawl.

Brawl is better in every single way that actually matters to the majority of players. Amount of characters, content, music, graphics, single player, customizability, stages...

You're saying that Nintendo should cater to the 1% of players who treat Smash as a competitive fighting game? Well fuck you that will never happen.
>>
>>262674181
Because the CREATOR doesn't consider it one.
There are hundreds of other fighting games out there to compete in. I don't understand why so many competitive players try to make Smash into something it isn't.
>>
>>262674181
No it isn't. Smash isn't a fighting game. The creator doesn't consider it a fighting game, no matter what you autists think. It's something you'll have to deal with.
>>
>>262674021
>some little kids out there are as excited for this game as I was for Smash 64
>this will be their first Smash game

That warms my heart.
>>
Melee is stupid and is ironic for "competitive play"

It was made as a family fun game. Autistic kids like yourself turned it into a competitive scene.
>>
>>262672581
>So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0
Except its not, you idiot/bait.
>>
File: 1393909463652.gif (2 MB, 427x240) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1393909463652.gif
2 MB, 427x240
>>262674426
>>
>>262674428
>Literally no one outside of the autistic online competitive community thinks Melee is better than Brawl.
Me and everyone I know really enjoy melee over brawl, and we're hyper casual at "fighting" games, or party games, or what have you.

It was way too floaty and it ended up being a lot more boring and a lot less fun.

Plus the items kinda sucked compared to melee.
>>
>>262674442
>being this retarded
Tell you what. I'm going to make a game. Itll star a character with legs who can jump a lot. He will jump across platforms and all sorts of obstacles, and will jump all the time. And I'll call it a racing game and declare anyone who thinks otherwise a faggot because obviously since I'm the creator, my word is law and I can make bullshit up all the time. In fact, I'll call it a tactical espionage card based racing game. Because that's totally what the game is
>>
>pretending anything other then it being fun to have some beers and play with a few bros matters
>probably caring about "competitive gaming"\
i can smell the neck beard from here
>>
>>262674738
Isn't the Red Shell the ONLY item from melee that didn't come back? Just turn off everything else.

I've got a bunch of casual friends and they like Brawl better because it has a shitload more content. Anyone who plays Smash and complains about the "floatiness" should just be playing a different game.
>>
>>262672581
Starting a thread with shitposting will surely lead to an interesting discussion.
>>
File: 1277802849267.png (15 KB, 497x501) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1277802849267.png
15 KB, 497x501
>>262674764
>>
File: 692.png (57 KB, 160x166) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
692.png
57 KB, 160x166
>>262672581
>mfw all these meleefags shitposting after their shitty tourneycirclejerk retro garbage game has been usurped by the TRUE SMASH BROS EXPERIENCE
>>
>>262672581
I hope you get cancer and aids, then infect the rest of the project M: Muh Maylay sitters with your aids and cancer so you can all die like you fucking deserve. Then fans can finally enjoy smash brothers as brothers without your Diarrhea purifying every thread with "BASED PROJECT MELEE FUCK YOU SAMURAI" when your mod wouldn't exist without the hard work and dedication of Sakurai and those who put in real effort to try to deliver a product people will enjoy. You defame everything his games stand for while you beg for scraps of his work so you can cut them up and stitch them back together into a mangled, gruesome visage of his dream. Fuck off and die Melee faggots.
>>
MARIO CHAINGRAB RECONFIRMED.
DOWN GRAB DOWN A AND REPEAT
>>
>>262674764
You're extremely butthurt anon.

Sakurai isn't calling Smash Bros a shooter or a puzzle game. He's calling it a party game because it IS one. A damn good one.
>>
File: 1.png (14 KB, 300x330) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1.png
14 KB, 300x330
>>262674939
>>
>>262672581
>Brawl 2.0
Stopping reading right there. Game looks like it's own thing, and that's good.
>>
>>262674021
So the franchise needs to stay afloat purely from appealing mascots? Brawl was fun for a while, and I was very excited to see snake, but there's a reason I only play that game on rare occasion while Melee is a huge timesink.

Wanting good gameplay from a game is not entitlement.
>>
>>262674738
Thats your group of friends, the gaming circle in our town roughly 20 in size all prefer Brawl over Melee. I personally prefer Brawl over Melee and I am a tourny fag for SSF4.
>>
>>262674913
>Anyone who plays Smash and complains about the "floatiness" should just be playing a different game.
What? We like playing it because we get to beat the shit out of eachother, and brawl just gives you less control over that.

Actually scratch that. 1 friend of mine enjoys brawl over melee, purely because he loves playing ike and spamming that dash move and his B up. The other 20 odd people enjoy melee over brawl because it's just more fun. but then again over half of them prefer 64 > Melee > Brawl, because your hits are a lot more powerful in the older games
>>
>>262675032
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1dlvIKT8yI5
>>
>>262672581
Hey wobbles how did it feel to almost beat M2K in GFs?
>>
File: 1286375375843.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286375375843.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>262675186
ScarfLard?
>>
>>262674561
>What you autists think
99.9999% of the world would think the one being autistic here is you.
>>
>>262675186
not what we're talking about.
>Literally no one outside of the autistic online competitive community thinks Melee is better than Brawl.
>>
File: 1408562176713.jpg (37 KB, 720x552) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408562176713.jpg
37 KB, 720x552
>people actually taking OP's bait

You realize that most people, even tourneyfags are happy with the way the game's turning out?
>>
>>262674561
> Not a fighting game
> Consists entirely of fighting

Nah mate it's a fighting game, just an unconventional one.
>>
>>262672581
It looks fucking worse than Brawl, holy fuck, Sakurai needs to kill himself
>>
>>262672581
>we
Last time I checked I wasn't an underage or mentally disabled tryhard.
>>
>>262675336
No I hate his be a pussy and wait for time to run up playstyle.
I mained snake
>>262675419
>me and everyone I know
>I talk about the people I know personally
Never mind I forgot how ignorant melee supporters are sometimes
>>
>>262675112
I think a Brawl/Melee comparison is inherently flawed because we know that brawl was reactionary to the meta which arose around Melee. I agree that the reaction was too strong. Tripping and the general "weight" of brawl felt awful.

Looking at Smash4, I'm getting a vibe much closer to the original but with content levels on par with brawl - which I am very okay with.
>>
>>262675584
I don't think you understand
>>
>>262673293
This. It's retarded in any game when there are characters that aren't even viable on a casual level, or are so gimmicky and shitty that you wouldn't even want to play them. In Melee about 1/2 of the cast is S / A tier. In Brawl just about 1/6 are A or above, and the rest just get increasingly shittier until F.

Hilariously UMVC3 functions better as a party game because you can at least pick random characters and it won't be too much of a difference, if the point is fan service why should I be deterred from picking a character because they're so horrendously broken that they either require way too little or way too much effort to actually use?

Also I'm questioning if there is actually a living organism in this galaxy who legitimately enjoys playing as Pokemon Trainer for extended periods of time.
>>
heads up, half the posts in this thread (literally) are op. stop responding and let him try to bump it.
>>
I'm pretty optimistic about Smash 4 being the best one yet (mainly the Wii U version).

> Way more characters (and say what you want about clones, this game has the lowest ratio of them other than 64 which had a whopping 12 characters total). I think the roster is great - lots of unique movesets in there. I think people consume every little bit of info they can get their hands up for years before release and they lose that initial excitement from all the new characters. For example, people who are already bored of Megaman and call him shit before the game is out and before even having played the game.
> Seems to be a mix of the good things from Brawl and the good things from Melee (mainly the speed is better. Smash 4 Pikachu is supposedly faster than Melee Pikachu, among other speed increases). No tripping as well, and some moves have no landing lag.
> HD Visuals. Smash finally enters the era of HDTVs without looking like blurry ass.
> Online with items / no items as an option.
> Gamecube Controller support.

Sorry but I'd rather have all these improvements if all it costs me is a couple Melee maneuvers. People that want that can stay here, I'll take the 50 character roster game that fixes all of Brawl's shortcomings.
>>
>>262675654
Are you trying to imply people you meet online are somehow different than people you meet in real life? Cause if you are that just adds to your stupidity
>>
>>262675731
It'd be okay if the roster was good but it isn't
>>
>>262675579
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS_rV3lfSpY
;)
>>
>>262674813
/thread, its hilarious how obviously autistic you people are
>>
File: 1288567068404.gif (5 KB, 300x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1288567068404.gif
5 KB, 300x300
>>262675687
Are you OP?
>>
>>262675461
Xenoblade isn't magically a fighting game despite the frequency and quantify of combat you participate in. I don't consider Asura's Wrath a fighter even though the entire game is about fighting.
>>
>>262675751
What the hell are you talking about?
>Literally no one outside of the autistic online competitive community thinks Melee is better than Brawl.
That is what we're talking about. And that's a factually wrong statement. And that's why I posted.

So why are you posting?
>>
>>262675875
Yeah, it's pretty fucking horrible
>>
>>262675978
:^)
>>
>>262675807
It's the best roster we had so far.
The newcomers make more than up for the cuts and counting additions that you don't like as something that makes the roster worse is just retarded.
>>
>>262675807
How so?

This is just a matter of opinion, but I feel you should back yours up.
>>
>>262676042
None of my favorites made it in so I'm extremely angry and disappointed
>>
>>262675934
but your original point was still that lots of people prefer melee over brawl outside of just the online competitive community, that just happens to be your small sample size.
>>
>>262676107
And?
>>
>>262675913
Smash and other fighters have the same core fundamentals. If Sakurai didn't want people to play without items, why did he give the option?
>>
File: 1.jpg (73 KB, 400x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1.jpg
73 KB, 400x300
OP.... HOLEEE shit. HAHAHAHA.

Thanks for the laughs guys.
>>
>people saying Smash is a fighting game
LOL
This is a fighting game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXqzH-09_o
Notice the health bars and lack of platforms
It's also a 1vs1 game, there's no other option, because it isn't a party game
>>
>>262673878
Nobody is, project m is the worst unofficial smash product ever.
It's under 64 in terms of quality
>>
>>262675112
This. Brawl was extremely fun at a time, but it got stale fast. The menus aren't very pleasing to look at compared to other more stylized menus in Nintendo games, and a large amount of the content was fluff. Most of the stuff related to trophies, stage builder was pretty much only useful past the first 2 months unless you used homebrew, the demos were essentially just 2 minute advertisements, and more.

Subspace also felt terrible because the enemies were about as spongy and awful as late-Borderlands 2 enemies, the physics didn't make for fun platforming so the only rewarding parts were the cutscenes and knowing that you're unlocking things from it, the gameplay was a chore otherwise. This coupled with the fact target tests were disappointing and pointless, and aside from unlocking one VERY shitty stage and jigglypuff, events weren't really that great either.
>>
>>262676403
>It's under 64 in terms of quality
64 was the best one though
>>
File: wat.gif (352 KB, 366x235) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
wat.gif
352 KB, 366x235
>>262674426
>>
>>262676406
I agree with you but it seems a lot of people loved SSE. I think you're definitely right about the Smash physics just not working for that type of game.
>>
>>262675875
>>262675978
>>262676000
>Up-Tilts: The Movie
>>
>>262675913
I spent more time running around in Xenoblade than I did fighting, and Asura's Wrath is a Beat'em up. The difference between those and Smash is that Smash is focused on humans fighting other humans in the vein of traditional fighting games. Whether or not it's a party game inconsequential to whether or not it's a fighting game. Is Madden not a sports game because it's often played in groups?
>>
>>262676372
lol this is so laughably autistic, are you saying if you took the exact same game mechanics but added a platform it wouldn't be fighting game?
>>
Trying to argue with any of these people on /v/ who think smash isn't a fighting game is like hitting your head against a wall. Let the ignorant who know nothing about fighting games stay ignorant.
>>
>>262676734
Pretty much, that's how genres work
>>
>>262675898
Worsr of all
The op could be any one of us
It could you, it could be me, it could even be
>>
>>262676760
But I play a lot of fighting games, that's why I say Smash isn't one
>>
>>262676796
so what genre is smash then and what are some other examples of such a genre?
>>
>>262676760
if it isnt an exact clone of mortal combat in every way its not a fighting game, deal with it
>>
File: 1286376162144.jpg (42 KB, 491x398) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286376162144.jpg
42 KB, 491x398
OP here....

This shit is top kek 10/10 - IGN.

Will upload to facebok/twitter/instagram/reddit/9gag/pinterest/geocities/myspace and 4chan in 2 weeks.

Thanks for taking the bait guys; much appreciated.
>>
>>262676908
>what genre is smash
shit gimmicky non-game.

Other examples include dance-dance-revolution and angry birds
>>
>>262676885
if you avidly play fighting games and say smash isn't one you must have an extremely strict sense of what a fighting game is.
>>
>>262676908
It's a platform brawler and there are other games like this, like Sony smash and the jump games. There's probably more but I don't know them
>>
File: 1277802922851.png (19 KB, 589x375) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1277802922851.png
19 KB, 589x375
>>262677047
>>
>there are people who have reached such massive levels of autism that they dont think smash is a fighting game
>>
>>262676885
Anything that isn't SF like or tekken like isn't a fighting game
>>
>>262677234
That's not what I said, but would you call Powerstone a fighting game?
>>
>>262676587
The thing is, I loved SSE too, but I think it was also because the excitement made the game seem so amazing the first month, and because it was co-op gameplay that wasn't just re-playing Streets of Rage again. Though once you get to around the middle, the only thing that really motivates you to plow through all those shitty trumpet, eyeball, and totem enemies are the promise of unlockables.

It's strange that just seeing those barrels and doors give me a small unique feeling of disgust now. As a fun little exercise, if you have Brawl or Dolphin, play SSE up until when you're able to play as Donkey Kong and unless you really love that mode, you'll have a strong urge to turn the game off.
>>
File: 1410300422920.gif (499 KB, 450x296) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410300422920.gif
499 KB, 450x296
>>262677047
>was merely a ruse
>>
File: 1400999051707.jpg (92 KB, 966x982) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1400999051707.jpg
92 KB, 966x982
>>262677202
>its not a fighting game, its a fighting game where the maps may or may not have platforms
holy shit im not sure if i should laugh or feel sorry for you people
>>
File: 1277803508476.png (34 KB, 345x369) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1277803508476.png
34 KB, 345x369
>>262677297
Minecraft PVP. You're argument is invalid.
>>
>>262677394
what
>>
>>262676885
>I'm a stream monster, that's why I say Smash isn't one*
>>
>>262677297
Even Wikipedia calls power stone a fighting game. That shit is dope.
>>
>>262677297
It's basicly what you all say at this point about smash

I have no idea what a powerstone is
>>
>>262672581
Or maybe it's only retards like you that care abotu MUH COMPETITIVE PLAY, BUT IM THE REAL FANS, and normal people will actually love it.

Also you'll buy it anyway, so who gives a fuck.
>>
Dont play it then.

Instead, keep complaining about it on a videogame image board.
>>
>>262672581
>Brawl 2.0 (no-trip electric bogaloo).
so it's perfect?
>>
File: 1286375492740.png (15 KB, 523x497) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286375492740.png
15 KB, 523x497
>>262677517
Your mom's a powerstone.
>>
File: 1399609895764.jpg (66 KB, 420x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1399609895764.jpg
66 KB, 420x500
>>262677202
>its not a fighting game its a platform fighting game
>>
File: 1277802737729.jpg (39 KB, 450x268) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1277802737729.jpg
39 KB, 450x268
>>262677047
My jimmies ain't even rustled.
>>
>>262677380
There's also things like no health bars, multiple players and items. Accept it, Smash is too different to be called a fighint game.

If you really want to have the words "fighting game" just give it its own subgenre like platform fighter or some shit

>>262677503
>wikipedia
>>
File: 1286376436260.jpg (142 KB, 457x348) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286376436260.jpg
142 KB, 457x348
>>262677047
>>
File: 1408367912205.jpg (54 KB, 213x260) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408367912205.jpg
54 KB, 213x260
>>262677596
Is my mom a fighting game then?
this is important
>>
Anonymous 09/10/14(Wed)05:31:42 No.262677592 ?

you ridleyfags seriously shit up everything you get your hands on
>>
>>262677680
>stocks
>1v1
>no items

You don't know shit about anything. I can't believe I'm falling for this bait as I'm typing this.
>>
>>262677680
considering it the core gameplay mechanics are the same in almost ever aspect, yes id say its a sub genre at best
and saying no health bars is the most autistic argument i can image
>hit a certain %
>youre guaranteed to die
>hit a certain level of health
>youre guaranteed to die
>>
>>262672581
>So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0 (no-trip electric bogaloo)
According to a bunch of tourny people I hang with, it's not. Nice shitpost though.
>>
File: IMG_0715.jpg (35 KB, 448x452) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_0715.jpg
35 KB, 448x452
>>262677974
>>262677981
>>
File: 1286378217831.png (3 KB, 209x215) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1286378217831.png
3 KB, 209x215
>>262677803
If you hit her enough times and there isn't a platform.

She just might be.
>>
Fucks sake. Smash Fans are by far the whiniest fuckers in any fanbase.
>>
>>262677974
Just because you can turn shit off it doesn't change that it's there and that it's the core of the game in the first place. Holy fuck

>>262677981
They're very different and you know it, stop trying to spin things with unrealistic situations
>>
File: 1288567076093.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1288567076093.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
>>262678131
>>
File: 1409729746839.jpg (12 KB, 224x225) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409729746839.jpg
12 KB, 224x225
>>262677680
>multiple players
This just in Street Fighter X Tekken is not a fighting game because it allows more than two players at once!
>>
>>262678178
That doesn't make it not a fighting game.
>>
>>262678178
let me guess, youre only pretending to be retarded right?
>>
File: 1409476130778.jpg (13 KB, 250x250) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409476130778.jpg
13 KB, 250x250
>>262678131
>>
>>262678178
>Just because you can turn shit off it doesn't change that it's there and that it's the core of the game in the first place. Holy fuck
>NOOOOOOOOO! STOP ENJOYING THINGS THAT I DON'T
>>
>>262672581
>Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0
You haven't been paying attention, then.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (10 KB, 249x249) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Untitled.jpg
10 KB, 249x249
>>262678390
>>262678270
>>
File: 60.jpg (95 KB, 500x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
60.jpg
95 KB, 500x600
>>262678390
>>262678270
Hivemind
>>
>>262678325
Yes it does, or at the very least a sub genre

>>262678346
I'm not retarded

>>262678314
No, but Smash has enough different things that it needs to be separated from traditional 2D fighting games, labels and genres are important.

>>262678467
That's not what I'm saying you retarded fuck, I enjoy Smash
>>
The only way to fix the smash series to stop adding more and more shitty characters. Take it back to the N64 roster if you need to. Work on improving the actual gameplay.
>>
>>262678541
>im not retarded
ok, youre only pretending then. why dont you go be autistic in /b/ where you belong then?
>>
File: no can handle.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
no can handle.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>262678270
>>262678390
>>262678513
>>
>>262678541
Well I enjoy that bit of chaos and variety that comes with the items.
>>
>>262678652
I'm not pretending either, I don't understand how you can't comprehend my simple argument
>>
>>262678541
Yeah, you enjoy Smash, but only the way it was "meant" to be enjoyed. Nigga, fuck you.
>>
>>262678694
>>262678720
I never said anything about items being bad, jsut that thanks to stuff like items Smash is different enough to have its own subgenre, holy fuck reading comprehension is bad here
>>
File: 1292408464840.jpg (42 KB, 388x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1292408464840.jpg
42 KB, 388x360
>>262678541
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwjMZ8nFgIM

>Saltford Kelly is that you?
>>
>>262678805
I'm talking about turning items off to make it a fighting game, dweeb.
>>
>>262678541
I'm perfectly fucking with Smash being a sub-genre from Classic Fighting Games

But don't fucking tell me Smash is not a Fighting game

Fighting games are not just
Muh 2d streetfighter
Fuck
>>
>>262678714
you dont have a valid argument anon, the gameplay of smash is that of a fighting game, having unique stages does not change that
>>
>>262678805
are you autistic? You are aren't you?
>>
>>262678805
being a sub genre of a fighting game doesnt make it not a fighting game
>>
>>262678964
But that's what 2D fighting games are, that's what defined them, we could call them SF-likes the same way we call games roguelikes
>>
File: 1409435729989.jpg (80 KB, 553x567) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409435729989.jpg
80 KB, 553x567
>tfw no more Ice Climbers/DeDeDe team battle

I...I'm going to be okay...
>>
>>262679148
But it does, it's not a fighting game in the traditional sense
>>
>>262672581
>At this point it either seems like Miyamoto Sakurai (and the higher ups) legitimately don't care about the fans of their game franchise
Or it's a game made for children and they really couldn't give a fuck about an autistic group of faggots that take a party game as a competitive fighter. What's next, competitive Mario Party?
>>
File: 1408393634937.png (129 KB, 282x304) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408393634937.png
129 KB, 282x304
How does it feel knowing Sakurai is catering to tounreyfags with things like For Glory mode? I bet it tears you casual, dumbfucks up.
>>
>>262678964
Smash 4 is actually closer to a traditional fighter than the others in the series
>>
File: WHY.jpg (8 KB, 151x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
WHY.jpg
8 KB, 151x200
>>262679286
right, and 3d fighting games arent fighting games because they arent fighting games in the traditional sense
>>
>>262679563
Yes, that's why they're called 3D fighting games
>>
File: 1288424464205.jpg (19 KB, 308x459) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1288424464205.jpg
19 KB, 308x459
omg.... The autism in this thread is so real I don't know if mirrors are real.

HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>262679563
>>262679606
#knockout
>>
File: ryu.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ryu.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
Ryu Shoriyukens In!
>>
>>262679606
>tekken isnt a real fighting game

holy
fuck

my sides
>>
File: 1291671535797.jpg (21 KB, 418x384) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1291671535797.jpg
21 KB, 418x384
>>262679606
HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING.
>>
File: huehue.jpg (42 KB, 413x395) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
huehue.jpg
42 KB, 413x395
>>262679606
Holy shit guys. He actually is a retard.
>>
>>262679746
>>262679871
It's a 3D fighting game, I don't understand how you can't comprehend something so simple
>>
File: 1292363930171.jpg (20 KB, 476x322) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1292363930171.jpg
20 KB, 476x322
>>262679871
>>
File: ssb-simon.jpg (151 KB, 536x302) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ssb-simon.jpg
151 KB, 536x302
>>
>>262679172
It's two dudes fighting

No matter how many things you turn off or on in smash you are 2-4 dudes fighting.

Health bars are not essential for a fighting game to be a fighting game
>>
File: laughingwhores.png (475 KB, 449x399) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
laughingwhores.png
475 KB, 449x399
>>262679897
>>
>>262679897
I already addressed this way earlier: >>262676238
>>
>>262679897
The irony of this post, I mean I know it's bait but still.
>>
How can people say that Smash Bros. is not 'competitive'

I thought competition was about player skill, not the game itself.
>>
File: 1291671261931.png (517 KB, 984x688) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1291671261931.png
517 KB, 984x688
>>262680031
>>
>>262679381
>All those final destinations
It's just like my street fighter stages
>>
>>262674561
Smash is a fighting game because people fight when someone brings it up.
>>
File: 1322016606475.jpg (11 KB, 300x316) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1322016606475.jpg
11 KB, 300x316
>>262680161
>>
>>262680031
The core fundamentals are changed though, you have platforms and no health bars, also multiple players are possible.

Turning something off doesn't mean the features are not there.

Genres can't be too broad otherwise they lose meaning. That's why there's a distinction between fighting games, 3D fighting games, brawlers, arena fighters and all the others. But for some reason Smash players are the only ones who can't comprehend it

>>262680060
>>262680000
I really don't understand what's your problem
>>
>>262672581
>a couple murricane autists
>entire fanvase of smash
Yeah nah go back tp project mlp.
>>
>>262680090
Casuals anon
They never actually try to win
Call you a tryhard for beating them afterwards
>>
>gta isnt a 3rd person shooter because you can drive cars
this is how retarded you are
>>
File: ssb-kuros.jpg (149 KB, 536x302) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ssb-kuros.jpg
149 KB, 536x302
>>
File: 1406888935700.jpg (63 KB, 625x531) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1406888935700.jpg
63 KB, 625x531
>>262680282
Gta is also not a driving game because you can shoot
>>
>>262674764

>Implying that can't be a racing game.

>hasn't played a platform racer
>>
>>262680282
3rd person shooting is just one of the mechanics in GTA, it doesn't describe it in enough detail. That's why most people call GTA an open world action-adventure.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 609x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 609x480
>>262672581
>Mashpotato Samurai
>>
>>262680282
>>262680462
>/v/ doesn't understand how genres work
You guys suprise me every time
>>
>>262675685
Smash has way more ways to give you fanservice than just a balanced rooster.
All those stickers, CDs, trophies, events, stages, items and single player modi have way more fanservice impact.
>>
File: 1410160483221.png (574 KB, 1139x1347) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410160483221.png
574 KB, 1139x1347
>>262680234
>turning the feature off means they're not there

Except that's exactly what it does. It makes them not there.

>If Sakurai didn't want people to play without items, why did he give the option?

Quoting myself again because you're a retard and keep trying to make the same argument.

You don't even know what fundamentals are. You literally have no idea what you're arguing about. I can tell just by the way you're arguing that you've never played any fighting game competitive, so I will break it down for you.

>Most everything that can be considered fighting game fundamentals can be be summed up in one word: footsies. Footsies covers:
-when to attack
-what attack to use (poking/counter-poking)
-where to attack from (spacing)
-when to defend

Trying to say Tekken isn't a fighting game is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>262680640
See >>262676406
>>
>>262680462
Except even if you couldn't shoot, it wouldn't be categorized as a driving game. Are you retarded?
>>
>>262680728
Don't bother with this clown. he doesn't understand that fighting games is the over lying genre above the sub genres of 2d fighters, 3d fighters, etc.
>>
>>262680728
Holy fuck you're retarded. That's not what the core of fighting games is, the core of fighting games is SF2, you just made up your own definition on the fly.

Fighting games were defined by SF2 so SF2's mechanics are the definiton.

After SF2 came out games that diverged from the formula created its own sub genres like 3D fighters.
>>
>So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0
How many times have we had this thread now?
>>
>>262680234
>>262680234
>But for some reason Smash players are the only ones who can't comprehend it.

You don't have to play a game to realize what type of game it is. Mentally handicapped people like you think that if something even slightly deviates from the norm it deserves a new genre. Otherwise you'd have people stating that SMRPG is a platformer RPG, and Namco x Capcom is a turnbased fighting game. But you're probably just going to say every fighting game needs to be what SF2 and Mortal Kombat were because you're a fucking idiot.
>>
Sakurai could satisfy both Melee and Brawl players by giving us speed settings. He won't for some reason, even though many fighters have been doing this for generations now.
>>
>>262680871
Are you falling for his ruse?
Are you retarded?
>>
>>262680738
>complaining about "fluff" in a fanservice game
>implying melees "fluff" didnt get stale way faster than brawls
>>
>>262681087
I don't know any people who call SMRPG simply an RPG. It's too different for that. I don't know Namco x Capcom so I can't comment on that.

And yes if you want the label of a fighting game the game needs to be similar to SF2
>>
File: 1410038230159.jpg (21 KB, 249x289) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410038230159.jpg
21 KB, 249x289
>>262680972
>3d fighters aren't traditional 2d fighters, so they aren't fighting games even though they share the same core fundamentals

Dawg, you are beyond helpless.
>>
>>262680972
SF2 is two people fighting

Smash with items on or off are 2-4 people fighting

Somehow smash is not fight game
>muh health bars
>>
>>262672581
Project M did it. You're retarded if you seriously think it's not possible due to coding.
>>
>>262681387
They don't share the same core fundamentals because one of the core fundamentals is 2D plane.

That's why 3D fighting games are called 3D fighting games, because the distinction is the 3rd plane.
>>
>>262680972
please, your understanding of fighting games as a whole is just so poor. Just go to bed man.
>>
>>262681209
Except all it did was take what melee had, made it worse, and added timed roms with gigantic load times alongside them.
>>
>>262681506
>>262680728

This is what makes a fighting game a fighting game. It doesn't matter what dimension it is in.
>>
File: 18+.png (183 KB, 510x356) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
18+.png
183 KB, 510x356
>>262680972
>Every fighting game must be some variation of SF2
>>
>>262679742
>not Ryu Shoryuk-ins!
>>
>>262681453
You think you won an argument because you greentexted? Yes, health bars, that's a huge difference.

Also like I said before, just because you can turn something off doesn't mean it shouldn't be labeled.

>>262681557
No, your understanding is poor, I bet you're underage and didn't even play SF2 when it was new
>>
>>262681506
Hey whatta ya know they are still called fighting games

Meanwhile Smash is somehow now fighting games
>>
>never played brawl before
>wonder why everyone always bitches about it
>get my copy in the mail
>boot it up
>start playing
>"this isn't bad, why does-"
>start noticing my character occasionally trips for seemingly no reason
>"surely I'm doing something wrong"
>it keeps on happening
>look it up
>there's literally always a chance for you to randomly trip for no reason

How fucking retarded do you have to be to add something like that to any game?

>hurr lemme make a shooter but you randomly drop your gun for no reason
>>
File: Mr.Dubs&Check.jpg (6 KB, 253x199) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Mr.Dubs&Check.jpg
6 KB, 253x199
>>262681739
Smash Bros is a fighting game, and the post responding to me will have a 3.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/2535703/

http://strawpoll.me/2535690/

http://strawpoll.me/2535770/
>>
>>262681669
I'm not the one saying anything that isn't sf2 isn't a fighting game man. If you go to evo with that definition people would laugh in your face when you explain it.
>>
Melee love is a meme.
>>
>>262681793
>http://strawpoll.me/2535690/
>Worst Smash fanbase
>R.O.B

What kind of underaged faggot made this strawpoll?
>>
>>262681563
The fuck are roms? And the wii had no gigantic loading times compared to every other disc based system back then, now and gens before with the exception of the gc.
>>
>>262681506
So Naruto fighty fight game and DBZ reboot 99 the fightening game arent fighting games? My feels. I cant even anymore.

Anyways this is OP signing off thanks for all shitty shit post rebuttals; it brought me back to my youth.
>>
>>262681910
was for>>262681136
>>
>>262681669
>Health bars
Stocks

Health bars are not essential for a fighting game to be a fighting game

Maybe I did win because of greentext
>>
>>262681946
The shitters that got rob threads banned aka twitter drama and tumblr oc tan general.
>>
>>262682020
>The fuck are roms?
Hi reddit
>>
>>262681739
No they're not, they're called 3D fighting games. Smash isn't a fighting game, like I said, if you want to have "fighting" in the genre name call it platform fighting or something.

It's not a traditional fighting game though
>>
>>262682172
see >>262681910
>>
>>262676098
That doesn't mean the roster is bad. It could be better, yes, but it is still the best roster we've had in four games.
>>
>>262682212
Just because ignorant people would laugh it doesn't change anything.
>>
>>262672581
The entire competitive community is currently shitting themselves in happiness at this version of Smash Bros.
It's significantly faster than Brawl, there's very little landing lag and some moves even auto cancel. There's Pivot Smashes. There's Dash Dancing (to an extent). There's no tripping. Chain grabs have been removed. Link ISN'T SHIT. Mario ISN'T SHIT. Mega Man CAN KEN COMBO.
All of these things add up to make Smash Bros 4 greatest of all time.
We're not even anywhere near people being able to discover advanced techniques either, so we have that to come.
>>
File: facepalm picard.jpg (30 KB, 921x606) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
facepalm picard.jpg
30 KB, 921x606
>>262682259
>>
File: 1407752235868.png (369 KB, 600x451) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1407752235868.png
369 KB, 600x451
>>262682259
>fgc is ignorant about fighting games
>>
>>262674442
>something it isn't.
It's a game where people can win and lose.
Boom. It has competitive viability.
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>262682356
They're not ignorant about fighting game mechanics but they're most likely ignorant about genres and labeling
>>
>muh Melee
>muh Brawl 2.0
it looks like it's own thing, fuck off tourneyfag, I always hated Ice Climbers anyway
>>
File: 1407050702253.png (212 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1407050702253.png
212 KB, 640x480
>this thread

smashfags will never learn

I hope they patch tripping back in. That shit was hella funny
>>
>>262674442
>There are hundreds of other fighting games out there to compete in.
Most of which use similar mechanics and none of which have what Smash offers.

>I don't understand why so many competitive players try to make Smash into something it isn't.
Because it's the game we all wish more other fighters were like but aren't. It fixes all the shit I hate about other fighters and gives you the freedom and abilities to do awesome shit you can't in anything else.

http://youtu.be/fOPJ5LCxzvg?t=54s
>>
>>262674021
>When you were little and played Smash 64 for the first time, did you care about the competitive scene? No.
Because it never existed, you dipshit.

>Competitive players are entitled assholes...
Because wanting a more fluid game that doesn't have a skill ceiling is totally being entitled, when these things allow for a more fun game all around, from casual to competitive play.
>>
>>262682469
Maybe you're the ignorant one?
>>
>>262682621
No, I consider myself an expert in genres
>>
>>262674304
Nobody, or very few people, want Smash 4 to be "exactly like [Melee]"
Most want it to be its own thing that has speed and rewards aggressive play.

We're also not yet to see the final build in practice. That's what the demo is. It's the final build. Have you not heard that Smash for 3DS is currently in top 5 on Twitch for video game streams?
>>
>>262682172
Well I'm perfectly fine for smash to be called something else than fighting game like Platform Fighter or whatever

But it's still a fucking Fighting game
You can't just reserve that for 2D and 3D alone

And I never said Smash was a Traditional Fighter
>>
>>262682692
Why is everyone calling you a retard then?
>>
>>262682540
What you posted isn't awesome at all
>>
>>262674428
Ah, yes. I forgot that graphics, number of characters and stages make a better game than GAMEPLAY.
Holy fuck, you're retarded.
Even back when I was hyper casual, didn't know about the competitive community etc. I preferred Melee to Brawl, because Brawl was too slow, too floaty and tripping really ground my gears.
>>
>>262682753
Because they're clearly ignorant about genres

>>262682743
Yes you can, because fighting game is another name for SF2-like. You can't arbitrarily change the definition now
>>
>>262672581
>At this point it either seems like Miyamoto Sakurai (and the higher ups) legitimately don't care about the fans of their game franchise

Brawl sold 12 million copies and is the best selling entry in the franchise. Smash tournies are entered by a couple hundred and watched by around 20-30 thousand at max, normally much less. Silent majority overrules tiny vocal minority when it comes to business.

Nintendo don't give a fuck about the couple thousand neckbears crying over competitive gaming. They care about all those millions of kids that just want Mario to fight Link. Fuck, they're now even selling Smash as a skylanders product where you buy little plastic figures that interact with the game. I don't think Nintendo could be more open with who the Smash audience is unless they shot a fucking satellite into orbit that exploded to form the words "SMASH IS FOR CHILDREN."
>>
>>262682853
at this point you're so deep I can't actually tell if you are 'le trolling' or actually think you're right. Even if you were trolling im sure by now you've actually convinced yourself of the opinion you argue so congratulations and good bye
>>
>>262683059
I see you finally acknowledged you have no argument
>>
>>262675032
>>262673175
>>262674021
>>262674358
>>262674428
>>262674570
>>262674981
>>262676734

>all these butt devastated casual elitists
>liking a game causalized on purpose
>can't learn how to press three buttons at once

B-B-BUT MUH P-P-PARTY GAME GAYS. M-MUH LAY IS T-TOO FAST FOR MR G-GUYS.
>>
File: 1374573129692.jpg (364 KB, 700x990) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1374573129692.jpg
364 KB, 700x990
>>262682853
>fighting game is another name for SF2-like
Okay back to talking about how Tekken and all other 3D Fighting games are not Fighting games
>>
>>262683184
I said it multiple times, they're not "fighting games", they're "3D fighting games"
>>
>>262683176

If you want a competitive game go and play a real fighter.

Ironic how you call others casual when the only reason you play competitive smash is because you're not good enough to learn a real fighter.
>>
>>262683252
2D or 3D it's still fucking Fighting Games

Saying Fighting Games are only 2D, like you did
>fighting game is another name for SF2-like
Is fucking stupid
>>
>>262683527
How is that stupid? That's how the genre came to be, SF2 is the definition of fighting games
>>
>>262683607
samefag >>262682212
>>
>>262683379

Maybe I enjoy Melee because its not like other fighters but can still be played competitively due to its high learning curve? Maybe I enjoy being part of the scene? Maybe I don't have that special attachment that I have with Melee? Saying its a party game is nothing but an excuse.
>>
>>262683691
see >>262682259
>>
>>262683607
No SF2 is the game that defined it not the entire fucking definition of Fighting Game
>>
>>262672581
>Brawl 2.0
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>262684001
Yes, it defined it, ergo it's the template for the genre. If you diverge too much from it you make a subgenre, like 3d fighter
>>
>>262682307
> Responding serious to bait

Anon.
>>
>>262682769
I'll bite, hook and sinker. What is then?
>>
>>262684096
You're reserving Fighting game for SF alone, if it's not a catbon copy it's not a Fighting Game anymore suddenly

Fighting Game is the overarching Genre
2D or 3D are reffering to specific games

Yet you are telling me Fighting Game is something completly different from a 3D Fighting game
>>
>>262674021
>My little cousin's first Smash was Brawl
>He loved it as much as I loved 64 (immensely)

>This gonna be his Melee

Aww shit
>>
>>262672581
kill yourself. don't shit on smash 4 like you did with brawl.
>>
>>262684503
>Fighting Game is the overarching Genre
source?
Fighting games were 2D since the beginning, it doesn't make sense to say 2D fighter and 3D fighter when 3D is the only one that's different from the "fighting game" established by SF2.
>>
>>262684346
The game I like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvFNEWWVIU
>>
File: nickelodeon.gif (3 MB, 448x336) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
nickelodeon.gif
3 MB, 448x336
>>262684761
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0xM6Xvct0
You gotta go the distance
>>
File: 1409904709696.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409904709696.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>262684664
You just keep on saying 2D fighters=Fighting Game

Meaning anything that isn't a Carbon copy of SF2 is not fighting games

I give, you got me, hook line and sinker I can't do this anymore with you.

And I think you are retarded
>>
>>262672581
>People loved Brawl
>At this point it either seems like Miyamoto Sakurai (and the higher ups) legitimately don't care about the fans of their game franchise
Why are tourneyfags so dense? The game was not made for you, you never was the target demographic, why is this so hard to understand?
>>
>>262685363
You literally have no argument
You just make assumptions to fit the genre into your perception of it not what it actually is and now you're acting as if you're the one who's right.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>262685490
>Here is the sequel to that game you love and play a fucking lot
>It's not for you though
And casuals wonder why people are mad
>>
>>262685363
There are legitimately people who think like this though. Except they lack the self awareness to see that 3D fighters are as different from 2D ones as those are from Smash.

Smash is more of a fighter than any arcade game because its momentum and knockback system results in a dynamic that feels closer to actual real life sparring than any game without it and with tons of joystick buffering instead.
>>
>>262685307
sauce on that gif?
>>
>>262685514
Fuck it one last go

Smash will never ever be Fighting games because
>no health bars
>platforms
>items that can be turned on or off
>more than 2 players at once
>it's not SF2
>>
File: 1388837593550.png (427 KB, 485x614) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1388837593550.png
427 KB, 485x614
Wait, Is tripping in or not
>>
File: 1409090972104.png (15 KB, 350x352) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409090972104.png
15 KB, 350x352
>>262685889
Thank you... so... so much
>>
>>262686021
Yes, smash isn't a traditional fighting game because of combination of all of those
Though saying
>it's not SF2
isn't true. Traditional fighting games can be different from SF2, I mean SF3 and SF4 are quite different.

However when you change something as core as health bars it becomes its own sub genre and shouldn't be called a fighting game
>>
>>262685936
The next post to get 45 I'll respond to with the sauce
>>
>>262685889
>Except they lack the self awareness to see that 3D fighters are as different from 2D ones as those are from Smash.
But I've said that multiple times, both 3D fighters and Smash aren't fighting games
>>
>>262686067
Random tripping is gone, you can still trip through items & some attacks
>>
>>262686472
Okay good
>>
>people defend smash when it becomes shallow and casual

Why is it okay when Nintendo does it?
>>
>>262686312
Healthbars are not core
KO state is core

If you change the way you achieve a KO doesn't make it any less of a fighting game
>>
>>262686345
winrar?!
>>
>>262686345
guess your posting the sauce
5
>>
>>262686595
How is it not core? Health bars literally dictate how the game is played, because of the way you get KOs in Smash is changed drastically the gameplay is changed too.

Also health bars aren't the only thing that diverges from the standard fighting game.
>>
>>262686859
it's still a fighting game
just not traditional
>>
>>262686590
The point is that is has always been shallow and casual? Why don't you go play a real fighting game if you desire a hardcore experience?
You can even play DOA if you suck that much.
>>
>>262687008
Is not, is as much of a fighter as the DBZ tenkaichi games.
>>
>>262687008
Exactly, that's why it shouldn't be called a fighting game.
>>
File: 1347144660900.jpg (93 KB, 576x384) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1347144660900.jpg
93 KB, 576x384
Guys, I had a dream last night

>booting up SSB4 for the first time
>go to options
>see button: Melee (with the same font)
>game mechanics change to the Melee mechanics
>casuals can still play with "everybody wins" mentality
>others can try combos and get good in "Melee Mode"
>>
>>262686345
that was fast
>>
>>262686859
The core is still
Fighters beating eachother to force them into a KO State

That's right the bare bones of fighting games
>>
When will Nintendo take off the items on Mario Kart and make the track in a way you can't get outside of them?
Competitive MK will never take off like this.
>>
>>262687190
No, the bare bones of fighting games is SF2
>>
Thank you based Sakura for making a "for glory" mode so that we don't have to deal with autistic tourneyfags
>>
>>262687084
No you retard it's why it shouldn't be called a traditional fighter
It's still a fighting game
>>
>>262687376
No it's not, SF2 defined fighting games, if a game diverges too much from the core that's SF2 it isn't a fighting game
>>
>>262687260
So that's why everyone is calling you retarded
>>
>>262687569
Only retards who can't comprehend how genres work call me retarded
>>
>>262687486
>If it's not street fighter it's not fighting ges
>>
>>262686345
>45
>>
>>262687827
If it diverges too much from SF2 it isn't a fighting game, yes. It's a different genre then like a 3D fighting game or arena fighter or whatever.
>>
>>262683176
>stuttertyping
>>
>>262672581

>not giving two shit about muh fighting community means not caring about the overwhelming number of everyone else that plays smash

I'm pretty sure you're the faggots here.
>>
>>262686760
>>262686806
>>262687182
My post was a get, as well as a request for a get. I called a 45, so someone else needs to get a 45 as well.
>>
>>262683176
you're the one complaining about the game
>>
>>262687653
Fighting game is a video game genre in which the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent. These characters tend to be of equal power and fight matches consisting of several rounds, which take place in an arena. Players must master techniques such as blocking, counter-attacking, and chaining together sequences of attacks known as "combos".

SF2 refined the Fighting games genre not set it in stone
>>
>>262672581
No one cares about your bitching and moaning you self entitled douchebag. The game will be amazing and if you don't like it by all means go back to playing Playstation All Star Battle. Fuck off.
>>
smash bros was meant to be a competitive fighting game as much as the ninja storm games anyway
>>
>>262683176
Nobody cares about your autistic need to play smash competitively. Go play SFIV, everyone else is fine enjoying smash casually. I'm fucking sick of the cancerous tourneyfag community sperging out because its not as fast as muh melee.
>>
>>262672581
Are you fucking kidding me faggot? It's fucking anything but Brawl 2.0.
Fuck off you dumb piece of shit.
>>
>>262688184
>wikipedia
Street Fighter II popularized and standardized the conventions of the genre
>>
>>262674021
Just because it's a 'party game' doesn't mean it can't be competitive. That's fucking WHY 'party games' work, and are fun at parties, BECAUSE they're fucking competitive.
>>
>>262688570
smash bros isn't meant to have items off and have final destination be the only stage
>>
>>262688497
And now anything that isn't a traditional fighting game like SF2 is not a fighting game?
>>
>>262688701
Yes, because SF2 defined fighting games. They have their own sub genres like 3D fighting games
>>
>>262688652
Then fucking why does it give you the option in every game faggot? That's the beauty of Smash, it can be played however the fuck you want to play it.
>>
>>262683176
i can't believe you don't think what you're posting is fucking retarded
>>
Why can't people play a game differently from other people? Why is that a problem? Why can't we have fun the way we want it? Why?
>>
File: 1408225251321.jpg (17 KB, 199x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408225251321.jpg
17 KB, 199x200
>>262674426
>while /v/ actually knows about good fighting games.

I haven't laughed this hard in days
>>
>>262688892
because fags like you, smash bros has become more "casual" because its a game anyone can win, or at least have a low skill ceiling
>>
>>262689043
cause its like fags complaining about a show that they are not the target audience of
>>
>>262689056
Fucking what? Sakurai decided to put the ability to turn items off in the first game because of non-existent tourneyfags?
>>
>>262688789
No matter how you shake it
Fighting Games will always be games like Tekken SF Dragonball Smash

They are all different Fighting Games but they will always have that one thing common that they are all Fighting Games
>>
File: 1410236213922.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410236213922.gif
371 KB, 500x375
Antitourneyfags are the most obnoxious and whiny faggots on this board, they've basically switched places with the people they despise. Arguing with them is pointless, they still believe tourneyfags take the the Fox only FINAL DESTINATION maymay seriously.
>>
File: 1398921502053.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1398921502053.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>262686345
someone screencap this
>>
why don't Project M guys make their own smash like game with their own characters? do they just lack creativity and desire for money?
>>
File: Jontron.jpg (142 KB, 1202x849) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Jontron.jpg
142 KB, 1202x849
>>262674657
>>
>>262689172
That's not how it works, fighting games aren't an overarching genre, fighting games are restricted to games similar to SF2.

Everything else isn't a fighting game but its own thing
>>
>>262689462
I love how Melee is responsible for everything wrong with Smash, when there are people that make discussion of Smash Bros impossible, and the only thing that ends up being discussed are speculations on new games, and roster shitposting.
>>
>>262689561
Smash is popular only because if its characters, the gameplay and everything else about it is absolute garbage. If they abandoned the characters they'd have nothing left
>>
>>262689462
maybe you should play a real fighting game
>>
File: 136758993961.jpg (628 KB, 2808x3208) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
136758993961.jpg
628 KB, 2808x3208
>>262689561
>>
>>262689591
>fighting games aren't an overarching genre

Uh...that's excatly what they are though. Are you being sarcastic or something?
>>
>>262689682
its a real question
>>
>>262689806
Please give me a source for that
Fighting games came to be thanks to SF2, why would they be an overarching genre?
Your own made up definition doesn't matter here
>>
>>262689901
try harder
>>
The thing that makes Smash different from other fighting games, more than anything, is the amount of movement options you have with your character.

Everything in the game is based around being able to move your character smoothly in every direction. That's the fun part of it for me, too. Melee was the best for it. Brawl was terrible. Smash 4 looks better than Brawl but still makes absolutely irredeemable mistakes like not having forward momentum carry into your jumps. Like, what the fuck? That's something Nintendo figured out in 1985. That's what made Mario feel so much better than any other platformer at the time. Honestly, how could they take that out?
>>
>>262690032
Why don't Project M guys make their own smash like game with their own characters? Do they just lack creativity and desire for money?
>>
Reminder that there are shitheads on both sides.

Tourneyfags, competitive Melee players who are playing the current build are satisfied with it.

Anti-tourneyfags, YOU guys are the ones being elitist about how Smash should be played. And we prefer its gameplay over "real fighting games".
>>
>>262690060
its a platform fighting game
>>
>>262672581
>what if they have been trying to recreate the melee gameplay with the new platform all this time and through some fluke in all coding they can't recreate it correctly?

Coder here, shit would be easy to recreate on Wii U. Most of Melee's code is probably still in SSB4. Shit hasn't been written in assembly (non-portable code) since the SNES days.

Kerfuffle is different to Melee because he wants it to be.
>>
>>262672581
>recreate
>bugs
tourneyfags are truly abhorrent
>>
>>262690109
It would be orders of magnitude more work.

A bunch of PMBR people are helping with Air Dash Online, but that project seems to be at a standstill.
>>
>>262689909
>Your own made up definition doesn't matter here

But yours does? I seriously hope you're just triyng to ruse me here because if you honestly believe that fighting games aren't a video game genre and is limited only to SF2 then I just feel sorry for you.
>>
>>262690186
L-cancelling is hard because you have to make new animations for every aerial.

Wavedashing is super easy. All they have to do is add directional airdodging again.

Stuff like jump cancellable shine, land cancelled lasers, edgecancelling... all of those are super easy too.
>>
>>262689665

I love how you use Melee as a scaepgoat for all the problems with smash threads, as if speculations on new games and roster shitposting wouldn't happen regardless. Especially when it's really only on /v/ where discussion of Smash Bros is impossibe, and it's usually do the incessent amount of shitposting from people mad over tourneyfags and /v/'s overal ignorance on fighitng games as a whole (pic very related)
>>
>>262690396
Traditional fighting games are defines by SF2, that's common knowledge. Suddenly making fighting games some kind of overarching genres and putting tons of other stuff under the umbrella makes no sense.

Why should we say 2D fighting games and 3D fighting games when fighting games by default are 2D and 3D are the odd ones out?
>>
>>262690396
He's been like this the whole time
>>
>FGC stream monsters and other non-playing babies can't stand that Smash has been getting more attention then whatever version of SF4 we're up to
>Also can't come up with any reason that Smash isn't an interesting, skillful, competitive game
>Retreat to the exact same "not a real fighting game, it's a party game" arguments they've been using for over a decade
>Literally have not come up with a single new argument in a decade while Melee is more popular than ever

nice job you embarrassments
>>
>>262690674
I play melty blood, I don't care about popularity, smash isn't a fighting game
>>
>>262690559
>I love how you use Melee as a scaepgoat for all the problems with smash threads

Did you even read the post you're responding to retard? You said essentially the same thing but with completely unrelated FGC shit as well.
>>
>>262690564
>Traditional fighting games are defines by SF2, that's common knowledge.

You realize SF2 isn't the first fighting game right?

And no it's not common knowledge, that's your own made up definition. Fighitng games have been an overaching genre since fucking Karate Champ if not earlier

Also you seriously saying 3D fighters aren't real fighting games? Nobody is this retarded

>>262690654
Welp, too late I guess since I already typed this post. I'll stop feeding the troll now though, thanks.
>>
>>262690674
I have to go to class now, but I really want to emphasize that I've been having this argument on /v/ since before Brawl was announced I know that I'm pathetic too and only once has someone actually tried to argue against Smash on the merits of its gameplay. Just once. And he made several really good points about how the number of options in Melee made choosing proper approaches, conditioning and reads much less important. But he also acknowledged that Melee had a lot going on and was still a great competitive game.

Every single other time it's the same "hurr glitches, hurr items, hurr Fox only" bullshit with the exact same flaws.

I don't know why I bother.
>>
>>262691001
>You realize SF2 isn't the first fighting game right?
It isn't first but it literally defined the genre

And yes 3d fighting games aren't fighting games, they're 3d fighting games
>>
I dont care about melee's glitches, i liked melee's speed and momentum. If smash 4 has even some of it i'll be happy.
>>
>>262690832
who gives a shit?
lots of capcom diehards don't think anime fighters are real either, and i'm sure you don't care
>>
>>262691001
He already got me good
He's like a Brickwall with that SF2 crap
>>
>>262691068
You know everything that made SF2 competitive were glitch, development flaws and bugs, right ? The same as melee.
>>
>>262691148
I just don't like mislabeling games

>>262691213
Yes, and? It's still not a fighting game
>>
You guys getting seriously upset and aggravated that a party game designed for casual fun isn't meeting your requirements for a serious, competitive fighter is simultaneously the most hilarious and pathetic thing I've ever witnessed.

You people are the symptom of a diseased society. One in which people who should be productive, active members of the population are reduced to pathetic, greasy, stagnating blobs who dedicate their passion and energy to ranting and raving about a fucking video game.

Scrap what I said earlier - there is nothing hilarious about it - it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach.

Is this what you think you exist for? To spit bile at other bottom feeders like yourselves over the Internet?

After you're done savagely attacking me personally in an attempt to shift your self-loathing; take some time to reflect on your own worthlessness.
>>
>>262691213
Stop replying, he's baiting.
>>
>>262691262
>It's still not a fighting game

Where's your source?
>>
>>262691289
>a party game designed for casual fun can only be played that way
>>
>>262691404
The definition of the genre
Smash is too different from SF2
>>
>>262691309
And it worked
;_;
>>
>>262690846
>You said essentially the same thing

Yeah no, you definetely didn't read the post you're responding to or this thread at all. And the "FGC shit" isn't unrelated, /v/ really doesn't know jack shit about fighitng games whether it be Smash or SF or anime fighters. You're a full blown retard blaming melee for speculations on new games and rosters which happens regardless.
>>
>>262672581
Play Melee or Project M if you want that shit. Sakurai is making shit the way he wants.
>>
>>262682553
Are you a dipshit? The first smash DID have a competitive scene, in which everyone played Pikachu and Fox.
>>
>>262691516
>The definition of the genre

Again, where's your source? So far you're going off of your personal definition and calling it common sense
>>
>>262689568
>posting your own screencapped posts
>>
>>262691650
Yeah why not retard whenever someone comes up to me and says fighting game the first thing... the first thing I think of is specifically Street Fighter 2...

Wait a minute...
>>
>>262691650
Read any article about fighting games, SF2 is commonly acknowledged to be the defining game for fighting games.

It's only logical that anything that diverges too much from it isn't a fighting game anymore
>>
>>262673137

What is L-cancelling and how did it work vs how it works now?
>>
>>262691778
>not knowing about the video
http://youtu.be/cGPKKSymHHM?t=36m23s
>>
>>262691947
>Read any article about fighting games

Post an credible article about fighting games that states SF2 invented the genre and that only 2D games can be real fighitng games.
>>
>>262691947
But that's only 2D fighting games it defined

Not the entirety of Fighting Games
>>
File: 1381902101320.png (18 KB, 560x349) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1381902101320.png
18 KB, 560x349
>>262691068
>And yes 3d fighting games aren't fighting games, they're 3d fighting games

Never change /v/
>>
Holy fucking shit what the fuck is wrong with this thread? Smash is not a fighting game, at all, you would literally have to have no brain at all to be unable to see what separates it from the fighting genre.

Lets go on record first of all that Sakurai said it isn't a fighting game. The game creator specifically says that Smash is not a fighting game. http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jun/21/sakurai-says-smash-bros-isnt-fighting-game-completely-different-label-talks-game-development-fighting-genre-and-value-unpredictability/

Next, victory conditions are based on KOs and score generated by KOs in both stock and timed matches. Faggots keep saying "muh healthbar don't mean no fighting gaem >:(" but Smash's percent mechanic and stock based mechanics do completely separate it from the fighter genre. In fighting games, matches are divided into rounds, and once an opponents health bar reaches 0, both players start another round, on EQUAL footing. This is not true of smash, where you can revive and punish an opponent at high percentages while you yourself have a great advantage. In smash percent doesn't reset, andplayers don't go life for life on equal footing. This is a major difference, not to mention the percentage dynamic alone completely differentiates it.
>>
>>262692390
Another one is, yes, platforms, and no matter what you say this is another thing that changes things completely. There are no obstacles in 3D nor 2D fighters. Stages are generally completely flat. Even though you can jump in 2D fighters and traditional fighters, there's no platforms, nor obstacles. There is nothing to interfere with the fight between either player, its a controlled environment based completely on the calculations of both players. Smash is not this. Smash is a game with uncontrollable variables and items which destroy the balance and equal footing that fighting games struggle to achieve. A nonsensical, random chaos is always present whether you play with items or not. Stages have walls and obstacles. High percentage players can wall tech to prolong their deaths, moving or destructible stage elements can disadvantage players or change the play method entirely.

Simplicity of input should be a pretty easy one for everyone to understand as another element separating smash from fighting games. Fighting games have complex inputs for their special moves, but smash is designed in a way that complete beginners can pick the game up and learn it with incredible ease. This is one of the main elements that puts it into the party game genre. Sakurai designed it so that everyone of any age or skill could pick up the game and enjoy it with their friends, socially even. Fighting games require incredible practice and hours of combo training to even have basic competence, and the learning of whatever other mechanics that game offers (bursts, breaks, 1more, whatever).

I can't even believe people are trying to spin this as a fighting game. I mean I know smash players are just super casuals who can't play real fighting games so they settle for party brawler platformers but come on.
>>
>>262692108
From wikipeda, unfortunately I can't link to the source because it's dead, it was on gamespot
>Street Fighter II, though not the first fighting game, popularized and standardized the conventions of the genre,[4] and similar games released prior to Street Fighter II have since been more explicitly classified as fighting games.[3][4]

>>262692249
There weren't any other fighting games back then, there was no distinction between 2D and 3D, that's why by definition fighting games ARE 2D and the odd ones out, like 3D fighting games, have their own subgenres like "Arena fighters" or "3d fighting games"
>>
>>262675875
>Chaingrabbing now requires hit fillers in betweem

I like it
>>
Goddamit why people are such spoiled crybabies?
>>
>>262691557
>You're a full blown retard blaming melee for speculations on new games and rosters which happens regardless.

Except originally the post said that melee was the least of the problems, meanwhile only roster related discussion and shitposting was possible. Which was responding to how anti-tournyfags, the people who are usually blaming Melee for everything, are the worst. How fucking stupid do you have to be to read that and think that it meant melee was responsible especially when that's not even close to making sense? There was FGC discussion in the thread, but that wasn't related to THOSE two specific posts.

You're a fucking idiot for not being able to distinguish that.
>>
File: 1402645201479.gif (2 MB, 320x228) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402645201479.gif
2 MB, 320x228
>>262692390
>>262692502
>>262692697

tl;dr
>>
>>262692683
>A bunch of Nintendo fanbases coming together
>Expecting quality discussion
>>
>>262692641
Wasn't sheik shown to be able to do the exact same thing?
>Chaingrabbing now requires up-tilts*
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>262692509
Ignoring the fact that Wikipedia is a fucking terrible source for genre definitions, you're STILL wrong because nowhere in that quote does it say SF2 invented the fighitng game genre, it only popularized its conventions. Nor does it state that fighitng games are limited to 2D. The second half of your post is missing from the Wikipedia page on fighitng games. Here's Wikipedia's full definition of a fighting game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_game

>Fighting game is a video game genre in which the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent. These characters tend to be of equal power and fight matches consisting of several rounds, which take place in an arena. Players must master techniques such as blocking, counter-attacking, and chaining together sequences of attacks known as "combos". Since the early 1990s, most fighting games allow the player to execute special attacks by performing specific button combinations. The genre is related to but distinct from beat 'em ups, which involve large numbers of antagonists.

>This period spawned numerous popular fighting games in addition to Street Fighter, including successful and long running franchises like Mortal Kombat, and later Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

Notice how the definition includes games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter, which are 3D fighting games. You'll also find mentions of 3D fighters like Bushido Blade and Smash throughout the article, and they aren't given a special catagory of not being true fighting games.

So where's that source saying 3d fighting games aren't fighting games?
>>
File: BTFO.webm (822 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
BTFO.webm
822 KB, 1280x720
>>262692509
>>262693428
>>
>>262692390
>The game creator specifically says that Smash is not a fighting game

So I guess if I make a game where you get a car, and drive around a track competing with other players to see who can get to the finish line first, it's not a racing game because I specifically say it's not a racing game. Make sense.

>>262692509
Subgenres are by definition part of the genre they're under. A 3D fighting game is still a fighting game by definition.
>>
>>262693428
Not inventing the genre doesn't matter in this situation.

SF2 is what defined the genre and that's what's important.

Where's the logic in considering something a fighting game when it plays nothing like THE fighting game? What's the point of genres if they're so broad?

Also like you said, wikipedia is a bad place for this shit. I only used it because the source died.

>>262693703
Sub genres aren't the same as the main genre though, it makes no sense to equal Tekken and SF and that's what you faggots are trying to do.
>>
http://videobam.com/tgaOt

i rthink they made a mistake on the cheering for Murabito on this demo.... sounds like they are saying Nana Popo....
>>
After reading all these arguments over and over, the tourneyfags seem to approach the discussion in a way better mindset.
The casuals seem very spiteful and resort to memes more

As a casual player, I can care less, but god damn if I'm going to attack tryhards past a little teasing.
>>
>>262694306
there's nothing else to talk about besides shitposting, so why bother try?
>>
>>262672581
>we
speak for yourself assclown. I love everything about this game so far. It is easily going to be the best smash.
>god tier roster
b-but muh most wanted character didnt get in so rosters shit ;(
get over it faggot your most wanted would've been shit anyway
>god tier music
Fuck, i've never cared about a games soundtrack before but this games soundtrack just gets me fucking amped.
TL;DR Smash 4 confirmed for best smash
>>
>>262693879
>Not inventing the genre doesn't matter in this situation.
>SF2 is what defined the genre and that's what's important.

First of all, it does matter when it comes to genre definition. You don't get to arbitraliy decide what is and isn't important when it inconvinences your arugment.

Second you're just being pedantic, because defining and inventing are one and the same here. Fighitng games existed before SF2, which didn't redefine the genre to something completely different from SF1 or any other fighting game before it. It is not THE fighting game, and not all games need to adhere to the exact same structures and mechanics as the first one (which SF2 isn) in order to be considered part of the same genre.

Most genres are broad by their very nature, ones like "Adventure" and "RPG" cover a vast amount of games that are parts of all kinds of subgenres.

I didn't cite Wikipedia until you decided it was acceptable to use it as a source. You can't just blast your own source once its pointed out the same source doesn't match your argument. Saying your "real" source died isn't an excuse, you still need to provide one

>Sub genres aren't the same as the main genre though
Actually no, they are. Subgenres are the same as the main genre, if they weren't then they would be completely different genres, not subgenres. No one said Tekken and SF are exactly the same, it makes no sense to claim Tekken is not a fighting game because its not Street Fighter, adn that's exactly what you're trying to do. You're completely dishonest about you're own argument and what others are saying, you're just wasting my time.
>>
File: 1397088404083.gif (126 KB, 185x224) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1397088404083.gif
126 KB, 185x224
>all of these tourneyfags taking the bait

Why would you place yourself in this shit show? You're either retarded enough to play a part in this rat race where absolutely nothing productive is accomplished, or you're smart enough to realize 99% of people you're arguing against have no idea what they are talking about. There is no reason to engage in public discourse whatsoever on /v/, and even over the internet. Explaining things to people solves nothing, all that really matters is action. Stop feeding into peoples stupidity, if someone says something stupid ok ignore them they're retarded. If they automatically assume they are right because of no response then congrats, you have no responsibility to babysit retards especially over the internet where half are likely not even genuine.

Fuck this entire thread.
>>
>>262695354
Just because there were other similar games before SF2 it doesn't make it any less influential. SF2 is the fighting game no matter how you look at it.

If you want to go for broad genres then it still doesn't fit, because there's only one definition of a fighting game and that's SF2. All the other similar games that aren't quite like SF have their own genres, even if they're sub genres of fighting games they aren't THE fighting game that has been defined by SF2
>>
>>262695982
No one said SF2 wasn't influential you dense fuck.

>there's only one definition of a fighting game and that's SF2

Still waiting on that source. Your own made up definition doesn't matter here
>>
>>262696150
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/if-you-suck-at-street-fighter-read-this-book
> Street Fighter is special to me. I think that series is the core of fighting games. It is the game that defined the genre
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=street-fighter-ii-the-world-warrior-b-board-90629b&page=detail&id=2657
:the legendary fighting game that defined the fighting game genre
>>
>>262696417
>vice opinion piece
>catalog site entry for SF2

Neither of these are are credible articles that state the definition of fighting games, and neither of them state that SF2 is the definition of a fighting game. Try posting an actual source and be little less illiterate.
>>
>>262696950
>post a source
>i-it isn't a real source!
You got BTFO, now fuck off moron. There's no official definition for fighting game genre, just what is widely accepted and SF2 is widely accepted as the game which defined the genre.

The same way we had Doom likes or rogue likes, SF2 is on the same tier as those
>>
File: 1308451997295.jpg (7 KB, 170x213) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1308451997295.jpg
7 KB, 170x213
I'm both a tourneyfag and a casualfag
I enjoy wrecking shit on Melee, but also play brawl with my bro who doesn't go full tourneyfag and have a good time with them on it.

>Mfw Smash 4 will let me enjoy the best of both worlds
>>
>>262675186
>I am a tourny fag for SSF4.
No, you aren't. Why would you lie on the internet?
>>
>>262690060
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOzLW5_pKbU

Why is Smash so smooth?
>>
>>262697305
>he thinks an opinion article and catalog entry, neither of which contain the definition of fighting games, is a valid source
>move the goalposts from what the definition to what is "widely accepted" and bases this off of two articles he misread
>even Wikipeida, which you cited to begin with proves you wrong
>run out of arguments so use "You got BTFO fuck off moron!" responses like underage faggot he is

You got BTFO by your own lack of reading comprehension, shithead. An article about Street Fighter that says "SF2 defined the genre" is not the same as "there's only one definition of a fighting game and that's SF2 and anyhting that isn't like SF2 isn't a fighting game" If you seriously can't understand the difference between the two then just fucking kill yourself because you're just a waste of space at this point.

If there's no official definitnion for the fighting game genre, then you have to accept that games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken and even Smash are widely considered fighting games. You can't pick and choose faggot. Also here's an article on several games including the ones I just listed defined the fighting game genre.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/games-franchises-that-defined-the-fighting-genre

We can go back and forth posting shitty articles from Vice and ArcadeMuseum, or you can stop being a faggot and accept the fact that you don't have a textbook definitnion that excludes anything outside SF2 as a fighting game.
>>
>>262699018
They aren't widely considered fighting games though, Vritua Fighter and Tekken are widely considered 3D fighting games which is completely different.

My whole argument this thread was that Smash should have its own genre like that too
>>
You're a bit late with this OP.
>>
>>262699189
They are widely considred fighting games. Especially going by articles like the one I just posted.

Your sources don't say Virtua Fighter and Tekken are not fighting games, or that 3D figthing games are completely differient from fighting games.

Smash is a crossover fighter just like marvel and PSASB. By Wikipedia's definition you can call it a mascot fighter if that makes you feel better.

Come up with some proof that the "fighting games" part of 3D fighters is a misnomer or fuck off.
>>
>>262672581
There's a demo out on the Japanese e-shop that I've been playing for the past 12 hours testing out tech. It's way faster than Brawl and there's tons of combo potential.
>>
>>262691014
>proper approaches
That precisely why I like it though. If I play SF then almost everything I could do is 'wrong' in that it will likely lead to me getting punished, with no option to try to alter the outcome. Smash allows far more room to improvise and set up clutch situations in which I have the advantage and then capitalize on them, and learning how to to so is so much fun.

SF players frequently seem to hate everything that doesn't play like SF though. Everything about Smash is simply more enjoyable, satisfying and flat out fun to me in ways no other fighting game is. I just don't like the way arcade fighters work and feel like I'm fighting against the game's mechanics more then I am expressing myself by fighting against my opponent. I've been playing fighting games for years, and no matter how much I do I never find that I mesh with them or the way they work to the same degree.
>>
I don't care because I enjoyed both melee and brawl.
>>
i am excited for this video game
>>
>>262699018
He's been baiting you with ACfag tier patterns and you're responding to him with actual paragraphs, why the fuck even bother?
>>
>>262681669
Oh no, how dare it have some difference in the formula!
>>
>>262692031
You can kill landing lag by shielding/dashing.
>>
>>262675685
>>Also I'm questioning if there is actually a living organism in this galaxy who legitimately enjoys playing as Pokemon Trainer for extended periods of time.
Seriously. The sad thing is that every Pokemon individually is enjoyable, but the whole forced switching, stamina, and type-weakness fucking KILLS it.
>>
>>262673878
>>Implying nobody is looking forward to having to wait for release then a smash 4 Project M.
Stop spreading lies you fucking faggots, it's not happening
>>
>>262672581
If it's similar to a faster 64 in physics, and has Ridley and a BALANCED all-champs roughly viable roster, I'll be DAMN HAPPY.
I've waited a long time for this, Masturbator Soccer Eye. Don't let me down, buddy.
>>
>>262674021
>When you were little and played Smash 64 for the first time, did you care about the competitive scene?
Obviously not, but I cared about gameplay and beating people over the continuous novelty of it being a crossover. Most people do, the novelty of it has worn off, Smash can't (and barely even ever did) ride on that novelty of "OH WOW SONIC AND MARIO IN THE SAME GAME" any more. You fags are missing the point of the game.
>>
>>262674021
>Competitive players are entitled assholes who think that the entire Smash Bros franchise revolves around their little tournaments. It doesn't.
There's that tourneyfag boogeyman shit again. Keep it up /v/, just pretend you know all about them when really all you're hearing about them is fake greentext stories on /v/
>>
>>262674428
>Literally no one outside of the autistic online competitive community thinks Melee is better than Brawl.
Actually I know plenty of casuals who like Project M and Melee over Brawl, and these people haven't attended a single tournament in their fucking life.
>>
Why does /v/ keep using the epic meme of "Smash ain't a fighting game! Casual play is best play! Tourneyfags are game killing faggots!"
Even on a casual level, Brawl was much less fun than Melee.
>>
>>262674561
>Smash BRos was created by literally one person
Yeah, okay. So if I take a shit and then say "HEY GUYS THIS ISNT ACTUALLY SHIT THIS IS ACTUALLY CHOCOLATE" isn't actually chocolate? If Kanye West repeatedly said that his music wasn't rap/hip-hop would that actually make it not rap/hip-hop?
There's a sub-genre of fighting games called "Platformer fighters", this is definetly where Smash would fall into
>>
>>262703708
Yep, I've only very recently got involved in the competitive side of things, and I always found Melee more fun and rewarding to play than Brawl.
>>
>>262672581
>So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0
c.flacon is buffed so no
>>
>>262703779
- most of /v/ are casual as fuck and have double standards when it comes to fighting games

- shitposting and easy replies
>>
Let me just point something out to everyone here. Something everyone SHOULD be able to agree on.
Smash IS a fightan game.
Smash IS also casual.
And that's it, assholes. Smash is a casual fighting game. No need to deny it. It's marketed at casuals, it doesn't even have memorisable combos which are a hallmark of other fightan titles. Doesn't mean it can't be played at a higher level, hell people even have scissors paper rock tournaments or darts tournaments in this day and age. It has a high skill ceiling. But it's still what I said above.
Tourneyfags should be able to agree with this, as well as everyone saying it's not a fighter [although it does have a platforming element]
>>
>>262704481
And I do mean memorisable combos as in A+B+U+D+D+R, etc., not chained-move combos. Smash does have them to an extent, but generally only as far as spike+down B, the rest is learning to position yourself.
>>
>>262673137
>The man speaks the truth
>Only reply he get is bait
Classic /v/
>>
>>262702761
I was halfway saying that usually when people play them they can only stomach ONE of the pokemon, whichever one is up to preference, but I've never seen someone actually like using all 3. Or even just ONE of them for that matter, Lucario is also barely any fun to play and Brawl's physics don't help.
>>
>>262708460
I liked playing all of them. I just didn't like being forced to switch between them or they'd turn to shit.
>>
>>262672581
>So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0

I know this is bait but come on. The demo just released and it looks great. We don't need melee 2.0 for it to be good. It seems like they actualy care about it being competitive they took out chain grabs and ledge guards. Now people have to think up new tactics.
>>
>>262703708
Hell, I've found that Jump Ultimate Stars is more fun recently than Brawl. Assuming you know all the characters in Brawl, or played most of the games, you'd eventually start reaching the point where matches start to have lots of turtling the less players there are.
>>
>>262704481
>>262704720
I don't agree. I just call it a movement-based fightan because it's vastly different from traditional fighting games, but still is a fightan.
>>
File: newlogo2.png (108 KB, 400x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
newlogo2.png
108 KB, 400x300
Why, when discussing the competitive values of smash, we exclusively talk about project M and not the obviously superior Brawl-?

No really, playing them all (brawl, melee, project M and Brawl-), it's obvious the only enjoyable one is minus. Are you all just ignorant to the true path?
>>
File: 1410123336609.png (97 KB, 542x410) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410123336609.png
97 KB, 542x410
>So, Smash 4 looks like it's shaping up to be Brawl 2.0

False, i watched a high level play stream for about 2 hours yesterday, the only thing that was close to brawl was landing lag, everything else was closer to melee.

>ground game is much faster
>pivit smash op
>all characters now have combos
>speed of almost all smash attacks have gone up
>>
>>262672581
Brawl was better then Melee anyway. Im going to have have the time of my life playing Smash 4. Just fuck off to Melee and play that for the rest of your life.
>>
>>262674021
>You know who Smash is made for? Nintendo fans.
It's kind of been shitting on its intended demographic since Brawl in that case.
>>
>>262674561
>2+2=5
>2+2=5
>2+2=5
>2+2=5
>2+2=5
>>
>>262710416
Just looked it up. Doesn't look like anything special. Another "fans" idea of what the characters movesets should be.
>>
File: 004.jpg (57 KB, 1500x781) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
004.jpg
57 KB, 1500x781
>>262672581

Let's get this started

>Melee Tourneyfags
>>
>>262674021
Best post. Little sour, but all the right points are made.
>>
>>262673137
>new L-cancelling
Explain?
>>
File: vivian angry.jpg (63 KB, 500x515) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vivian angry.jpg
63 KB, 500x515
>>262716568
>Melee
>>
>>262672581
Stop projecting you fat piece of shit
What you say isn't even true. "Brawl 2.0" doesn't fucking mean anything.
It's faster than Brawl like you fucks wanted
Landing lag is cut like you fucks wanted
For Fun/For Glory modes just to cater to you and heavily advertised as a tournament fighting game by Nintendo as we've seen lately, like you fucks wanted

No one wants fucking "intentional bugs". Only you dumbasses want to dash around with your dumb ass glitches because of "m-muh mindgames" instead of just playing it how it was meant to be played.
Go pick up Street Fighter for your "advanced techs".
>>
>>262717032
I just want jump momentum.

I would be completely satisfied then
>>
>>262717032
>No one wants fucking "intentional bugs". Only you dumbasses want to dash around with your dumb ass glitches because of "m-muh mindgames" instead of just playing it how it was meant to be played.
This.
>>
>>262717032
So you responded to ignorance / bait, with even more ignorance / possible bait. Good job.

How do people still deny that the Smash Bros fanbase is one of the worst besides MOBAs?
>>
>>262712781

But the funny thing is most high level players are going to switch over. Especaly M2K he said he is going to be either the best in the world or top 5 in it and i believe him. Him and Armada and to a lesser extent Hbox and Mango all play Project M/Brawl. I don't know where people get this "Only melee" attitude" Sure the top players like melee the best but only because they have been playing for 10+ years and they know it inside and out(Mostly).
>>
File: g5UyNSn.gif (3 MB, 250x156) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
g5UyNSn.gif
3 MB, 250x156
brawl 2.0 looks pretty nice
>>
>>262721542
pretty sick ass combo

that's complete hitstun too, you cant airdodge out of it
>>
>>262716730

L Canceling only exists to get rid of the landing lag

New Smash now has simply attacking once you touch the ground to cancel your landing lag
>>
>We

Shut up faggot, a lot of people in the competitive community are very excited about Smash 4. Stop shit posting and making them look like assholes.

Also, the game looks tons better than the E3 build.
>>
>>262721542
That's brilliant. I can't wait for this demo.
>>
Anybody who calls Smash 4 Brawl 2.0 are butthurt Project M fags that are mad Smash 4 is actually shaping up to be good

Seriously, who else is gonna be ignorant and want Smash 4 to fail? The guys who want their shitty not even better than Melee mod to get credit if Smash 4 fails
>>
>>262672581
No-one can be this retarded, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're trolling.

But since you got me replying, I might as well point out something for you; Smash was never meant to be competitive. Nintendo always puts fun first, and makes sure the game is accessible for everyone, before they start working on any competitive elements. Melee wasn't a new direction for the game, it was just a test to see what works and what doesn't - they always change around a few things. And clearly they never meant for it to be so buggy, since both Brawl and 4 aren't.

You're looking at the wrong IP if you want a super competitive fighter. There are already a lot of those on the market. Smash isn't one of them.
>>
>>262723197
The OP here and a lot of posts in the thread seem like bait. Most people that play project m are excited as fuck for the game, since a lot of them migrated from brawl in the first place. This is like lumping in everyone that enjoyed brawl a lot saying they hate melee.
>>
File: discuss.png (292 KB, 600x389) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
discuss.png
292 KB, 600x389
I wish this to be real.
>>
>>262674181
"Being a part of FGC" implies it's consensual and agreed upon, which is strictly untrue. "Is Smash a fighting game?" STILL stirs up some heated discussion in FGC, so to say that it is as of now is false.
>>
File: 1391985172784.gif (3 MB, 387x432) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1391985172784.gif
3 MB, 387x432
>>262674426
>/v/ has never known jack shit about fighting games
>now all of a sudden they're the experts
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
File: 1397684615609.png (53 KB, 625x626) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1397684615609.png
53 KB, 625x626
>>262672581
the game looks fine fag. You are just one of those people who watched that one documentary and assume you know what you are talking about. I have the demo and its much much better than brawl so before you talk shit maybe play the game.
>>
>>262723913
Take out Ridley and add Trace and you got a deal.
>>
>>262676238
ok, I don't consider Smash to be not a fighting game, but I must disagree with you there. Smash and traditional fighters do not have the same core fundamentals, no. I know a lot of people who have just grown up playing smash all their lives, and they can't wrap their heads around traditional fighting games' fundamentals for their lives. Smash and traditional fighting games are just so different.
>>
>>262725404
I heard this pic was taken (assuming its real) before shulk was even confirmed.
>>
>>262672581
>wah smash isn't gonna be melee 2.5
get over it you get to fight megaman v sonic v mario v pacman v monkey
>>
File: 1408856037649.gif (92 KB, 265x310) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408856037649.gif
92 KB, 265x310
>tfw Smash 4 is exactly what Sakurai said it would be

>A mix of Melee and Brawl with it's own mechanics to be it's own game rather than Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0

>No Tripping
>Edge hogging and any exploits have been destroyed with the new Edge grabbing mechanics and in turn buffs recoveries to actually be useful
>Hitstun is back
>Link actually got good
>Mario is his own great character
Makes you wonder how Doc will fare when Mario is actually good this time
>>
>>262725134

so what makes it better than brawl?
>>
>>262674913
The Balloon Fight flipper didn't come back
>>
>>262726329

>Implying I edgehog
>Implying I don't jump off stage and chase you off
>>
>>262672581
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABQjWemFIDM

Mario can combo in and out of throws now.
This ain't Brawl 2, no matter how much you want it to be.
Thread replies: 463
Thread images: 90
Thread DB ID: 13011



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.