[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /v/ think of the Age of Empires series.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

What does /v/ think of the Age of Empires series.
>>
1 was good 2 was awesome 3 was shit.
>>
>>261887592
Such a shame ensemble died. Fuck microsoft.
>>
>>261887735
dees
>>
>>261887592
1) Amazing game. Set the standards for the RTS genre for years to come

2) One of the best video games ever created. Stellar graphics, OST, voice acting, mechanics, simplicity, and amazing community. Aged beautifully.

3) Gimmicky and ultimately worse than its predecessors. Not a bad game by any means and still a very strong RTS compared to other series.

AOM) Excellent spin off. Utilized Gimmicks effectively and had a perfect pacing to its gameplay that kept it as fun to play now as it was at release.

Overall: 10/10 series, RIP in pieces Ensemble you amazing bastards.
>>
>>261887592
1 was great
2 was great
3 was my childhood but looking back on it its 7/10
9.5/10
>>
>>261888990
>3 was my childhood
What birth year considers AoE3 to be its childhood? I'm curious.
>>
I loved them all. I don't understand why people tend to dislike the 3rd when it had so many more features, which I felt were pretty gud.
>>
>>261888176
>OST
I never see anyone post or talk about AOE2's soundtrack in any thread but god damn if it isn't the comfiest fucking music in the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZMQ9Q1Jko
>>
Can we consider Rise of Nations part of Empire, seeing as how it's the same devs?
>>
3>2>1
>>
I want to see more of 3, i loved the card system
fuck what all of you think that shit was innovative
>>
>>261890038
>>261892343
this.
AoE 1 & 2 were classics, but AoE 3 did try a lot of innovation and most of it was fucking amazing.
people only shit on 3 because it wasent a carbon copy of its predecessors.

I would have liked to see another AoE set in the middle ages though.
>>
>>261891262
Too different game mechanics from AoE not unlike the Caesar family of games.
>>
>>261887592
Picture Unrelated?
>>
1 was fun, 2 was more fun, 3 I quit after 5 minutes
>>
Age of Empires was my favorite series. And I even think AOEIII was the best game in the series, ss long as you played with both expansions.

However, the series died because the vast majority of the fanbase is just too focused on AOEII. As can be seen by AOEIII being completly ignored and every game since being a weak remix of AOEII.
>>
1. I didn't play much off but it was fun
2. I loved it and played a ton of it as a kid
3. I liked to get tons of skirmishers and line them up for line battles and the explorer stuff where you find units and resources was fun for a while but didn't spend as much time with it as with 2.
>>
>it's 1998
>you create your first random game after carefully choosing you civilization
>the loading bar completes and you see three brave man standing around a simple built structure, waiting for orders
>this music starts playing

http://youtu.be/0o2aBk86UKY
>>
I fucking love 1 why can't you find that shit anywhere. I'm not a dirty pirate
>>
>>261892343
The card system could've used some balance, like the cards from the Germans could run over your opponents real quick because of the free cavalry.
IMO, still a great game.
>>
I've played a lot of Age of Empires II but I'm shit at it. I play against easy AI and they still make more progress in me in every area.
>>
2 is fucking great, but the multiplayer fanbase (what actually keps it alive) can be a bitch to get into. Understanding how to perfectly advance in ages, getting low castle times in betwen around 16~ minutes, takes a lot of practice, and ou never know what can happen.

Aoe3 had a really bad problem, that being France was so OP. Best Horse unit, best villager, so all the multiplayer matches became france only no war for 6 20 slug fests.
>>
>>261890038
>>261891563
>>261892343
>>261895169
>>261897225
Finally some love for III. I thought I was the only one who liked it.The card system was great and let you build your civ just how you wanted it. Mills and plantations made resource-gathering so much better. And having artillery become crazy powerful but cost more population changed how battles played out. Dammit, I wish I could play right now.
Iroquois master race
>>
>>261892343

I completely agree with you. The focus on exploration snd using cards really was sn improvement. Plus AOEIII fixed issues AOEII had. No more refreshing resources, more unit variety, better group AI, better building trees, etc.

But the cards did a major thing most RTS don't. It allowed for different strategies for the same race. Unlike in AOEII which tutns into the same strategy for each race. Just the first person to reach unit cap wins.
>>
>>261898367

>France was best

I think you mean Japan.
>>
>>261898085
Focus on your macro more than your micro.
>>
File: gbat.jpg (157KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gbat.jpg
157KB, 640x480px
>>261887592
Galactic Battlegrounds doesn't get nearly enough love. I played this more than AoEII, and I played a fuckload of AoEII.
>>
>>261897535
>I'm not a dirty pirate
Enjoy giving money to Zynga.
>>
File: wololo.jpg (126KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
wololo.jpg
126KB, 600x405px
>>261887592
childhood in a nutshell

>tfw priest conversion war

Power of Christianity
>>
>>261901920
I remember that one scenario in AOE I called Holy Man, where you started with a single priest. That's it.
>>
>>261898085
Same here with every RTS because i like to turtle

Its not as fun or comfy but rushing(zerging?) is best strategy in almost every RTS
>>
>>261888176
AOM might be my favorite in the series. The custom Gods/abilities allowed enough variety, and the reg unit/monster/hero balance was nicely done.
>>
It was kinda slow, and I didn't grow up with it, so I find it hard to play now what with cavalry barely being faster than infantry most notably.

I grew up with Age of Mythology which is just a bit faster, and Command and Conquer which was fast a fuark, especially when you turned speed up.
>>
>>261899009
>I think you mean Japan.

You spelled Russia wrong
>>
>>261889646
>Game was released in 2005
>People born in 1995 are now 19 and would have been 10 when the game came out
>People born in 1996 would have been 11
It's reasonable.
>>
File: age-of-empires.jpg (712KB, 1200x1474px) Image search: [Google]
age-of-empires.jpg
712KB, 1200x1474px
What could have been...
>>
>>261903704

If the fanbase bitched over AOEIII being in colonial times, imagine their bitching over a WWII and Halo style RTS.

Oh wait....
>>
>>261903704
God damn it could have been wonderful.
>>
Funny, I was just playing 3 today. Still a great game despite the people that shit on it for not being more like 2.

Japanese master race.
>>
>>261903943
Full retard.
>>
>>261898367

i play on voobly. New player lobby have got more friendly to new users, but people expect you watch rec games and learn to play by your own, and thats requires time.

celts and mongols are the best civs. because strong siege

And the shittiest one are huns and vikings
>>
>>261901354
FUCK

YES

Damnit I loved Galactic Battlegrounds. Star Wars Age of Empires. Who made this was a genious.
>>
Spent more time in the map editor than the game. I wish I had friends back then to show my maps to or play MP...
>>
Wololo
>>
AoE 2 HD needs to get fixed. It has performance issues: more units can get more lag. Too bad it will never happen.
>>
>>261892343
I loved 3 but two things I really dislike about it were:
1. Maps were too damn small
2. Limit on how many buildings you could make of certain types

other than that it was great, I really liked how all the civilizations felt far more unique this time
>>
>>261911135
Yeah, the maps were definitely too small. I kinda liked the limit on buildings, especially the defensive ones. You could get cards that made defensive buildings stronger, and increased your build limit. That let you build your civ more defensive than your enemies, instead of everyone building as many towers as they wanted. Gotta find your balance.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.