[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DARK TOWER VIDEO GAME WHEN /V/? >dat post-apocalyptic multi-verse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 24

File: The-Dark-Tower-by-Stephen-King.jpg (85KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
The-Dark-Tower-by-Stephen-King.jpg
85KB, 500x440px
DARK TOWER VIDEO GAME WHEN /V/?

>dat post-apocalyptic multi-verse horror setting, blowing the fuck out of all the Fallouts and STALKERS
>survival mechanics dealing with hunt, herb gathering and stocking shit up
>huge deserted wasteland enviornments, filled with near-dead cities, hollowed out characters, demons, halflings, succubi, undead, lobstrosities etc.
>side quests where you have to hunt demons like in the Witcher, except you get to take a bodypart which yields new powers and new responses from demons
>motherfucking HIGH SPEECH mechanic, where you talk through the voice of god
>gunslinging gets upgraded through repeated use
>several shooting styles (quickfire, berserk, protector of gilead)
>scarce ammo, food, healing items,resources, everything... infections and diseases running rampant
>nightmarish hallucinations from fatigue, poison and illusions all around
>The motherfucking man in black and the whole story in general

What else would you want to see in a game based on the Dark Tower series?
>>
C'mon you illiterate fucks, there's gotta be at least one reader in this sea of /v/irgins
>>
>>260841310
I think it could work as an rpg.
On a similar note, I allways pictured earthbound as stephen king-esque.
>>
>>260842721
I've never read it but I'm looking for something new to read after the culture series, whats the general synopsis?
>>
>>260842721
People who read generally don't read Stephen King shit.
>>
>>260844232
A guy who is a knight/gunslinger is trying to reach the dark tower, which happens to be the pillar that holds every reality from falling apart. There is also this king who is trying to reach it to destroy it just for the sake of it. A lot of bullets and traveling between dimensions.
>>
>Dark Tower has a comic book line released with art by Jae Lee
>Buy the 7 issue series
>Finish it

What the fuck did I just read Im so confused. None of that shit made any sense
>>
>>260844232
It's like a fate-chooses-man type of deal. Intertwining universes and dimensions, seperate realities but it's all connected somehow in the grand picture. Basically the quest for the Dark Tower, is similar to any historical 'grand' quest, where the flawed hero tries to fulfill his destiny (his 'ka' in this case) by doing something which he does not yet know.

A dead world, with few remnants of what used to be, Roland, the last gunslinger - protector of the land basically, goes on a quest for the Dark Tower to get clarity and purpose to his life.

On the way there he discovers numerous otherworldy characters, space-time convolution, gains knowledge and experience in mythical proportions, emotions, horror and nice things like that.

Without giving it out too much, it's like a metaphyciscal and metauniversal Max Payne, in that same sence of darkness and despair, but amped up by an equaly dark and desperate world.
>>
>>260844232
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
>>
I'd buy it day one, but only after finding a flaw in it and shitposting about it on /v/ for months and then go back on it and say it was a good game later.
>>
>>260843316

Yeah absolutely as an rpg, open-world is a must.

Cool enviornments, and instead of dungeons with loot at the end, you could have haunted towns with saloons and shit.

Think Red Dead Redemption meets Witcher
>>
>>260845134
>metaphysical and metauniversal Max Panye

sign me up
>>
>giant lobstrosities cutting off fingers and toes
No thank you.
>>
>>260845329

This is actually a great description.
>>
>>260845547
Well it is the first and last line of the series.
>>
Would you a Susannah?
Would you a Detta?
>>
>>260845546
Dod-a-Chok?
>>
>>260845441
Man, that's a terrible monster design.
It would constantly be getting its eyeballs grabbed and squeezed by its own prey.
>>
>>260845759
I'd take Detta any day over Susan, I'd get her that for'special plate
>>
File: 1357520320243.jpg (105KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1357520320243.jpg
105KB, 750x500px
>>260845546
>you get perma-crippled
>have to go in another dimension to find antibiotics and food such as hot dogs and pepsi colas to replenish stamina
>disease is progressive slowing you down and fucking up your aiming and reloading

Lawdy momma, i can feel the awesome.
>>
>>260845546
DODA CHICK
DADA CHOCK
>>
File: 54919519.jpg (83KB, 487x460px) Image search: [Google]
54919519.jpg
83KB, 487x460px
>>260841310
Are you a Not See?
>>
>>260845961
>implying anyone in this thread actually read the books.
>>
>>260845884

>getting swarmed by them fuckers
>all of them chanting that dod-a-fucking-chuk

AWYISSS
>>
Someday I will finish the series.
>>
>>260845441
Plus some MGS4
Roland aging is one of the main aspects thru the series. Limiting the character by some gameplay here and there would add to the experience (specially in that part at the tunnel).
>>
>>260846053
It's my favorite series longer than 3000 pages.
>>
File: 1361643638351.jpg (158KB, 500x698px) Image search: [Google]
1361643638351.jpg
158KB, 500x698px
>>260845961
Actually, a monster called Honkey Mahfah.
>>
>>260845441
>Think Red Dead Redemption meets Witcher
fucking awesome
>>
>mfw reading the up to date edition and finding out the original ending before it got changed

Even with Crimson King or was it King Crimson throwing explosives and a kid literally erasing him from existence from a painting is one thing but never revealing what was in the tower as the ultimate end goal must've caused a lot of rage.

Still, a cripple girl and a junkie slowly becoming gunslingers made the story one of the best trips and a nice reference to The Stand
>>
this is pretty much the worst series possible to adapt into a video game. it simply couldn't work unless they shit all over the entire story and premise of the series, and even then it would still be a shitty game. just stop.

at least none of you neckbeard virgin faggots will ever have anything to do with making a video game so i don't have to worry about you shitting on my favorite series.
>>
>>260846183

Exactly, i too would like it to be very oppressive and progressively harder, due to age, wear and tear, diseases and such. Perma crippled might be somewhat gamebreaking, but it needs to have that sort of final feel to it, you lose your youth and the power it holds, but you gain sharpness, experience and mental fortitude, which makes you a whole new type of dangerous.

Or something in those lines
>>
>>260846596
It would work if you made it like the walking dead, at least they'd have the excuse that choices really don't matter.
>>
I just want to chill with Blaine and solve riddles.
>>
>>260842721
I've read this shit. It was alright, but the Gunslinger character is too edgy

I'd buy it if it was an isometric rpg. Otherwise, it's shit.
>>
>>260846596
Settle down Elizabeth, you know you will play this if it comes out.

Plus there are so many ways to tell this convoluted story, and an rpg only makes this process a whole lot easier, through choice of storyline, with or without the fluff, or the side stories.

If you could simplify enough for one game, and make that work, then you could do a bunch of sequels to this.
>>
>>260846676
Maybe changing the direction of the gameplay, involving more the leadership you take in organizing your party as Roland, in a final fantasy tactics fashion, and then again the action packet shooting with the other guys (each one of them could be played in a different style, hell, maybe even Oy)
>>
>>260841310
Too ambitious of a project to be a good video game.
>>
>>260846929
>I've read this shit. It was allright

No you haven't faggot
>>
>>260846676
>>260847004
>The one thing you can assume about a broken down old man is that hes a survivor.
>>
I just picked up the box set on the cheap. I read the preface and it said that the book series integrates into other books by Stephen King.

I haven't read any other of his books. Am I fucked? Or does it not matter?
>>
>>260847176

You can read the series on its own. There are references to his other books, implying a shared universe, but you should understand what's going on without a problem.
>>
>>260847176
It doesn't matter if you haven't read them yet. But if you did, you'll find some nice cameos here and there.
>>
So what about the soundtrack? Is there a way to mix sci fi and western sounds together?
>>
>>260847176

Nah, it doesn't matter but you might miss on a chuckle or two, when he mentions something from the Shining, or some of his earlier works.

Stephen King is a rickety jokester, i tell you hwat.
>>
I thought King mostly did horror?
>>
>>260847358
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWAcgefsQQ
>>
>>260846535
>I've told my tale all the way to the end, and am satisfied. It was the kind only a good God would save for last, full of monsters and marvels and voyaging here and there. I can stop now, put my pen down, and rest y weary hand. I can close my eyes to Mid-World and all that lies beyond Mid-World. Yet some of you who have provided the ears without which no tale can survive a single day are likely not so willing. You are the grim, goal-oriented ones who will not believe that the joy is in the journey rather than the destination no matter how many times it has been proven to you. You are the unfortunate ones who still get the lovemaking all confused with the paltry squirt that comes to end the lovemaking. You are the cruel ones who deny the Grey Havens, where tired characters go to rest. You say you want to know how it all comes out. You say you want to follow Roland into the Tower; you say that is what you paid money for, the show you came to see.
>I hope most of you know better. Want better. I hope you came to hear the tale, and not just munch your way through the pages to the ending. For an ending, you only have to turn to the last page and see what is there writ upon. But endings are heartless. An ending is a closed door no man can open. I've written many, but most only for the same reason that I pull on my pants in the morning before leaving the bedroom - because it is the custom of the country.
>>
File: Icewind-Dale-II-PC.jpg (243KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Icewind-Dale-II-PC.jpg
243KB, 1024x768px
>>260846929
Would only play if it played like pr

and only if it had great sound design and followed the story straight up

>>260847057
eat dick, my friend
>>
Would there be a new game plus mode with a horn?

Would you meet the developers?
>>
>>260847472
>>260847358

and some
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSBuer8tBY
>>
>>260841310

I dont want to see it because i know that inevitably they will fuck it up.
>>
>>260847528
>And so, my dear Constant Reader, I tell you this: You can stop here. You can let your last memory be of seeing Edie, Susannah, and Jake in Central Park, together again for the first time, listening to the children's choir sing "What Child Is This." You can be content in the knowledge that sooner or later Oy will also enter the picture. That's a pretty picture, isn't it? I think so. And close enough to happily ever after, too. Close enough for government work, as Eddie would say.
>Should you go on, you will surely be disappointed, perhaps even heartbroken. I have one key left on my belt, but all it opens is the final door, the one marked. What's behind it won't improve your love-life, grow hair on your bald spot, or add fire years to your natural span. There is no such thing as a happy ending. I never met a single one to equal "Once upon a time."
>Endings are heartless. Ending is just another world for goodbye.
>Would you still? Very well, then, come. Here is the Dark Tower, at the end of End-World. See it, I beg. See it very well. Here is the Dark Tower at sunset.
>>
File: 1368956026558.jpg (58KB, 482x700px) Image search: [Google]
1368956026558.jpg
58KB, 482x700px
>>260847725
>go to CDPROJEKT/Rockstar/Remedy studios
>open fire on every developer in there, blowing everyone's guts out
>game uninstalls

ohpleasegodyesthankyou.php
>>
>>260847472
not played Bastion but yeah it is a great fit

>>260847918
thats a bit more Jazzy

Also for some dark gothic country check out Graveyard Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ZPijIVsO8
>>
>>260847358
>>260847472
>>260847918
How about this? I always felt this album had a Enio Morricone vibe to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5byBT4SEA
>>
>>260848307
thats pretty great actually
>>
>>260847959

Out of my readings from different authors Stephen King has a certain charm that draws in this magical tone when he really writes. The Dark Tower and The Stand still remain the best
>>
>>260847949
>>260847024

It is, but i think it could be made into a simpler yet similarly satisfying experience if they made some core mechanics that stick to the feel of the story and only keep relevant stuff in the game, and ditch everything else.

But this is only if the developers are fans of the series and not actual retards without any sense of integrity, and not some coders in a cubicle working because of work.

It might work... but it's a one in a million chance.
>>
>>260847445
It has certain horror elements, pretty solid ones at that. But it has a lot more than that.

It would be great for a level design actually, where you could have otherworldly nightmare segments like in Silent Hill. Roland in the mines with the mutants and such.
>>
>>260848178
this is pretty fuckin rad

>>260848307
>Earth
oh yes mein negroid
>>
>>260848642
Sounds like Graveyard Train fits pretty well then sweet.

>>260848759
They are awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCQOwqvZY-4
One of my favorite songs here. They are a cool Horror/Gothic country band.
>>
>>260846168
Dont bother it sucks,
>>
I've never read any Stephen King books but I've seen some of the movies based on them (like Pet Semetary, Carrie, Shawshank Redemption, It, Stand by me, The Shining) and with the exception of The Shining I've hated all of those movies.

Would I still like Dark Tower? I've always been curious as I love fantasy, but those shitty films really put me off.
>>
>>260848947
Let me see myself, I'd like to waste some time.
>>
>>260849064
Dark Tower is very different that his horror books. He literally calls it his 'Lord of the Rings', but he doesn't say that with affection.

If you want to try it here's the first book of seven as an audiobook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8pZ_l70qLI
>>
>>260849064
Dark Tower was written for King fans, several other books' plots/characters of his appear in the series.
I'd suggest reading some of the books whose worlds connect to that of the Dark Tower before starting out on the Dark Tower. The Stand and Salems Lot, fr example, have a lot of presence in the Dark Tower world.
>>
>>260849237
who is reading it?
>>
>>260849321
George Goodell
>>
>>260849064
All of those books deal with pretty much human subjects on the verge of surrealism. Strong symbols, metaphores and all that.

This is basically an antithesis but also very strong on symbolism. It's an antithesis in the sense that it doesn't hide its supernatural, high-fantasy fashion but it doesn't cling to it by all costs. He makes some pretty rad connections to 'our' world and the world the series takes place in.

It's a great read however you look at it, King has a simplistic way of writing that keeps you invested in it much longer than say, George RR or what have you.
>>
>>260849390
>George Goodell
is he someone I should know?
>>
>>260849264
Have presence sure, but it's not pertinent to the story in general. It makes for a more interesting read, and some attention to detail but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>260845832
>eyes closed
>eyeballs protected
>humans are small and have tiny hands compared to the monster luring
>tear prey to pieces the moment touches it
>>
>>260849064
>Shawshank Redemption
>shitty film

hipster pls
>>
>>260849498
Yeah but knowing who Father Callahan/ Randall Flagg is and noticing all the little details here and there definitely enhance the experience.
>>
>>260849464
He's pretty famous for an audio book reader. He did a good job with this book, Gunslinger.
>>
>>260849237
I never could listen to an audiobook honestly. And I've tried.

I always feel like a retard that's getting a bedtime story before going to sleep.
>>
Beware of Dandelo
>>
>>260849616
Yes, yes it does enhance. Ofcourse it's a plus to have read some of his earlier works.

All I'm saying is that you don't have to be put off by thinking that you HAVE to have read all that to understand this.
>>
File: 1376739102513.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1376739102513.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
>>260849552
yeah that would be cool

>Roland sees a 11/10 babe with glowing boobs
>goes to mount her
>her stomach opens into a giant mouth
>Roland falls in love
>Kills her because THATS ROLAND FOR YA
>>
So does Roland use any specific model of revolver? Or is it some fantasy gun
>>
>>260850071
its a huge ass old timer revolver. No specific caliber, I THINK. I know Roland resupplied bullets in NYC in Book 2, but I don't remember the caliber being specified.

So yeah, a huge ass fantasy gun.
>>
>>260841310

Not to mention new game+
>>
>>260850339
>I know Roland resupplied bullets in NYC in Book 2
kinda weird how despite being in a different dimension they developed the same kind of ammunition
>>
>>260850071
There are probably Colt Single Action Army. They have sandlewood grips, a yellow wood. The old-tongue word for 'White' is written on both. They shoot .45s. The barrels may be extended as the guns are described as 'Comically large' The metal they are forged from is the sword Excalibur.
>>
File: Peacemaker.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Peacemaker.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>260850071
fantasy gun in the shape of a colt
>>
>>260850481
Absolutely. It's gotta be a mechanic
Repeating realities, multiverses, he has to do it all over for an eternity
>>
>>260850490
I think it's kinda hinted that Roland's dimension is a post-apocaliptic earth in book 4
There are Shell barrels and such
>>
>>260850601
>>260850671
I just looked them up and I was about to say they look like SAA which is fucking radical

>>260850723
though it makes sense if this is true

also Clint Eastwood should play Old Roland
Middle Age Roland should be played by Thomas Jane
>>
I just wanted to say that I love that line Eddie says about being afraid to kill himself using the wets because if it didn't go off he'd shit himself.
>>
>>260850071
An oversized, overglorified, thunder roaring, canon firing Colt .45 (although the description is like they're firing mortar shells), with a long barrel, sandalwood, yellow wood, with words written in high speech all over them and such.
>>
>>260850671

I believe the colt thunderer is the closest to its description.
>>
>>260850959
I heard that it may actually be chambered for .454 and thats why it has such a loud report
>>
>>260850071

His guns are forged from the melted down steel of Excalibur. You tell me.
>>
How about an Eternal Darkness kind of gameplay?
>>
>>260850863
Eddie has some of the best lines in the book.

>tired from running along the beach with a wheelchair on him to help move Roland
>Roland is all grim and dark
>Eddie: "Are you gonna thank me or do I have to shove this wheelchair up your ass?"
>Roland laughs
>I burst out laughing
>>
There are more important things than video games.

There are women being oppressed all over the world.
>>
File: 13543545345.jpg (27KB, 398x433px) Image search: [Google]
13543545345.jpg
27KB, 398x433px
>>260850481

>yfw you have the horn in NG+
>>
>The end of the game is the half way point and you have to finish it twice to get the real ending like Ghouls and Ghosts
>>
>>260851206

There another line I love that Eddie's brother actually said about him.

>When Eddie's in that fuckin zone, he could talk the devil into setting himself on fire
>>
File: 1408107606672.jpg (471KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1408107606672.jpg
471KB, 1920x1080px
>>260851076
This, so much.

Also here's some concept for the wasteland.
>>
I've read the first book recently.
Didn't like it very much.
>>
Has anyone read Wind Through the Keyhole? I still need to read that one.
>>
>>260850071
He uses the greatest gun ever made.
>>
A Dark Tower MMO set before the World Moved On would be best.
>growing up as a Gunslinger in Gilead learning to protect

>tfw no Black Company vidya
>tfw no Revelation Space vidya
>tfw no vidya set in Sanderson's Cosmere yet
>tfw no Sabriel vidya battling olden monsters with bells
>tfw no Everworld MMO interacting with Gods of different pantheons
>>
>>260845052
Yeah you kind of have to read the books first in order to enjoy it. Even then, you'll probably just enjoy it for the art and the extra background exposition.
>>
File: 1384688647435.jpg (70KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1384688647435.jpg
70KB, 330x319px
>>260842721
>muh genre fiction
>>
File: 1408091490317.jpg (144KB, 630x637px) Image search: [Google]
1408091490317.jpg
144KB, 630x637px
>>
A continuation of the book. This time you get the chance to really invest in your ka-tet, see them grow, train them, protect them as they protect you and such.
Who knows, maybe Jake doesn't have to die this time...
>>
>>260841310
>blowing the fuck out of all the Fallouts and STALKERS
>STALKERS
And this is how you know that person didn't read Roadside Picnic.
>>
>>260851460

Jesus, this makes me wonder. Has there been any game based on a King novel? His weirdness would be well suited to a video game.
>>
>>260851827
If someone doesn't die in Maine that cold night, the story ends.

That van isn't going to stop itself.
>>
>>260846053
I read it up to Wizard and Glass years ago, but the flashback that took up the entire front part of the book (or the entire book?) bored me as I wanted to get back to the present.
Put it away to get back to it later and never did.

No idea how many more books followed that one. I know King connected The Stand and several other of his works into the story via cameos and such.

>there will never be a The Stand game.
>>
>>260851460
That looks amazing.
>>
>>260851570
>>tfw no Black Company vidya
At least we have Myth.
>>
>>260851905

Maybe King can not write his personal tragedies into the fucking story this time.
>>
>>260852047
King wrote himself into the story at one point.

I miss the eighties era King.
>>
>>260851902
Yeah there have been some arcades of It and something like that, but not one legit game I can think of.

I might be wrong tho
>>
>>260851936
the 4th book is the best book though
>>
hail to the Gunslinger!
>>
>>260845441
I think the main thing it would need is some sort of narrative aspect to it. Whenever Roland shot someone, every detail of it was described as to communicate the perfection of it, and I think that's very exploitable for a videogame, if you set it up right. Like, you "level up" or whatever, maybe you just learn to play as the story progresses, and then there are moments where you need everything you've earned and learned so far, as well as a near-perfect execution. But the game rewards you big time by telling you how epic that is. Something like hearing Eddie's thoughts (khef) as you are slowmo shooting your way through a fight, and seeing he's amazed like he so often was in the books. It could be fucking awesome, but I'm just dreaming here.
>>
>>260851495
It's bretty good, you get more Randall Flagg shenanigans and a solid monster story
>>
>>260851936

Wizard and Glass is a great novel, but because it's so long and largely a prequel it gets a lot of shit. It's basically one long sit down of Roland telling the guys a story of his past. I found most of it really interesting, particularly his training and getting his guns.
>>
>>260852145
On the subject of 80s King, anyone watch the film Knightriders? he played a guy who believed the whole tournament was bullshit.
>>
>>260852250
I don't know man, I like the 7th better
>>
Alright, get this, hold on, wait for it:

The Stand

With stands
>>
>thinny level

NOPE
>>
>>260852362
>King writes a JoJo manga
>>
>>260852357

7th is the most deliberately anti-climatic book I've ever read. Everything other than the ending is a huge anti-climax.
>>
>>260852362
ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA
>>
>>260841310
I havent read the books yet but it looks like red steel 2 to me.
>>
>>260852332
>>260852250
I have been meaning to get back into the series, but I've moved twice since I started W&G and I can't find the majority of my old Stephen King books. The library here actually doesn't have several of his books, W&G actually being one of them.

Don't really have much time to read as much as I used to either, unfortunately.
>>
>>260852357
I partly biased, my great-great uncle wrote The Wizard of Oz.
>>
>>260852306
>some narrative aspect
>some

This is absolutely crucial. But executed in a way where it's not just reading text or cutscene after cutscene, but rather implemented in sublimated text or dialogue, or maybe even an optional sort of mechanic where you get to feel the weight of the years and years of perfecting the craft of the gunslingers.

Reloading trick could be made into a sort of reflex mechanic, quickshoot, covershoots, diveshoots, focus mode, eagle eye.

But i;m sure someone will fuck this up royally if they had tried it.
>>
Read the first 4 and like .25 of the 5th

Did I miss much? Drawing of the three was GOAT btw
>>
>>260852680
Nah....did he?

Also, I find kind of funny that we can talk Dark Tower better here than in /lit/
>>
>>260852573

Well, it's all down hill after W&G anyway.

Honestly, given King revised Gunslinger I wouldn't flinch if he decided one day to redo 5-7. Like, he completed the shit. He doesn't have to worry about it being unfinished now so maybe he can actually focus on the story this time if he did.
>>
>>260852557
>red steel 2

Yeah in the sense that its with revolvers and gunslingers, but take the Borderlands/Mad Max theme out of that and add some sort of a Solomon Kane/High Plains Driver atmosphere
>>
>>260852847

I made the first DT thread in /lit/ (as far as I know). The post number added up to 19.
>>
>>260852936
>High Plains Driver

Drifter. Drifter.
>>
so does stephen king have the deepest lore
>>
>>260852847
L. Frank Baum, he was my great-grandfather's uncle
>>
>>260852741
I said "some sort of narrative aspect" because there are many ways to do this, and the best ones are obviously the ones that integrate the narrative aspect with the gameplay. Like how the prince of persia would say "No, wait, that's not what happened." when you died.
>>
>>260853083

Not that deep to make you feel stupid for not getting the connections, but deep enough to make you feel that you're dealing with some grand happening of great importance
>>
>>260852362
>?CAPTAIN TRIPS?
>?THE MOON?
>>
>>260853083
Not 'deep', but he has connecting the majority of his stories to each other for most his career.
>>
File: the_dark_tower.jpg (115KB, 726x1000px) Image search: [Google]
the_dark_tower.jpg
115KB, 726x1000px
Now, guys, how big would the dark tower has to be?
>>
>>260853486
About yay high, ayup.
>>
File: best plot of the year.gif (491KB, 275x155px) Image search: [Google]
best plot of the year.gif
491KB, 275x155px
>>260853408
>mfw another author I read is doing this
>fully fleshed-out and crafted meta
>only have to wait for the books to be wrote and published
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
>>
>>260853486
your a big tower
>>
>>260853203
Yeah, I mean that's pretty simple to do. For example you can have Roland die before he does his shit, and then he wakes up suspended in netherspace with some obscure as fuck images, making an illusion of intertwining timelines, and cryptic messages from the man in black, such as "Death... but not for you gunslinger."
And you suddenly appear somewhere, with depleted resources, and then you have to go farm some more, or recover your remains or some shit, i dunno.
>>
Given how CDPR has Adapted the Witcher novels I wouldn't mind something similar to that. Also guys, is it me or is Just Cause 2 ripe with DT references.
>>
>>260853486

As big as this dick right here AWWYEEEEEEEEEA

BUT BIGGER
>>
>>260841310
more combat then just gunslinging, like that should be rare fucking shit, becoming a Gunslinger
>>
>>260853564
U U U U
>>
ANNE FRANK VIDEOGAME FUCKING WHEN?
>>
>>260853659
I don't know, making the Dark Tower microscopic would be pretty silly.
>>
>>260851936
I completely skipped the fourth book when i realized 90% of it was a flashback
>>
>>260853730
>Tower for ants
>>
>>260853573
>Just Cause 2 ripe with DT references

How do you mean?
>>
>>260853678
Yeah, ammo is a bitch to find but very fucking usefull when you actually do have it and not get it wet by falling into some cesspool.

Roland had some encounters where he had to use hand2hand, and some melee improvised weapons.
Im sure that could be somehow implemented, otherwise yea, gunslinging should have the weight of something special, a rarity.
>>
>>260853718
arent you already hiding away in a basement? what more do you want?
>>
>>260853779

There are some Lost references that cross pollinate with DT stuff since Lost is influenced by DT in some ways. It's mostly inadvertent. Though one of the fps tests is straight up called the dark tower.
>>
>>260853776
>the whole dark tower universe takes place in an anthill
>no wonder it's such a deserted shithole
>>
>>260853718
>hiding simulator 2016
>the whole screen is black and all you hear are sounds of Not-Sees
>internal monologue intensifies, Gone Home tier

GOATY BOATY
>>
>>260842721
Wooooooooooooooo, haven't finished it yet.
I have the others somewhere
>>
File: everything.jpg (74KB, 463x372px) Image search: [Google]
everything.jpg
74KB, 463x372px
>>260854129
>you can collect 5 different JUDEN stars during the game
>if you collect them all the you get the true ending
>you were the atomic bomb, hitler and stalin all in one person
>>
blaine is a real pain
>>
>>260854439
4 u?
>>
>>260854369
>I have the other's somewhere.

I can see all 7 books in that picture.
>>
>>260841310
>herb gathering
You gotta be able to chew some devilgrass.

It would make you trip out something fierce, but you get a disability buff or some shit.

Random hallucinations, heartburn draining HP or stamina or whatever.

Hellyeah, devilgrass.
>>
>>260854369
Is that OotP?
>>
>>260854639
Roland would never touch devilgrass. Eddie might, but not Roland.
>>
>>260854948
Yeah, yeah, but it could be also benefitial for the time being.

It could give him like a paranoia buff, where he's all jittery and quick on his reflexes, for a short while anyway.

Then it drains the living fuck out of him, so you wouldn't prefer to use it often in-game, but you could just eat some for shits and giggles.
>>
>>260853913
The NDSAP
>>
Opening doors to different universes, so you can get supplies and terrorize people.

One minute you're in Out-World, Fuckknowsheresville, and then you are in NYC scaring off some dealers in an alley by being all western and bloody and shit.
Could be a good mechanic
>>
File: 1332275098581.png (85KB, 232x233px) Image search: [Google]
1332275098581.png
85KB, 232x233px
The Dark Tower is getting a movie in the next 5 years, so there will likely be Video Game demand after it launches. Matthew Mcconaughey is being looked at as the main character.
>>
>>260842721
What the fuck are you even bitching about?
>>
>>260855904
>matthew Mcconaughey

Nah fuck that shit.

middle aged Roland, Javier Bardem or russel crowe
old Roland, clint eastwood or tommy lee jones
>>
>>260856306
Nigger have you seen Dallas Buyers Club? Mcconaughey is a great actor.
>>
>>260856306
McConaughey is fucking amazing in the right roles.

I've never read the Dark Tower series so I don't know if it suits him or not.
>>
>>260856409
The thing is that he is too skinny. I always pictured Roland as more of a Bulky dude.
>>
>>260856409

Dunno, I always imagined Roland to have that really low and raspy voice, like a bass/baritone type.

Matt is great for that cowboy gunslinger type, plus he can handle the speech in the books but somehow I imagined Roland, like 7ft tall monolith of a man. Skinny, yet tall and gaunt.

But he might be able to pull it off with the right direction
>>
>>260856558
He lost 50lbs to be in Dallas Buyers Club
>>
>>260856548
>We did it, we reached The Dark Towerâ„¢
>>
>>260856558
Roland was solid, but he was constantly half-starved.
>>
>>260855904
They should make a fucking series out of it.
I'm sure they'll cram everything up in the movie, and maybe even reach the tower by the end of it.

Seems like a series would be much better at covering the vastness.

Sort of like a game of thrones type of deal.
One season per book.
>>
>>260856885
It'll more than likely be two movies released over 2 years like The Stand
>>
>>260856885
It's supposed to be a collection of movies and mini-series'.
>>
I just finished the main books, reading 4.5 now.

That feeling when Roland Screams for the tower to have mercy on him when he realises he is repeating
>>
>>260856885
>On September 8, 2010, an official announcement was made that the series would be brought to both the big and the small screens via a trilogy of feature films and two seasons of a television series to bridge gaps between the films.[22] According to a press release from Universal Pictures from October 29, 2010, the first Dark Tower film would open on May 17, 2013.[23] On July 19, 2011, Universal pulled its support from the production of the Dark Tower films and television series. According to reports, the studio was unable to come to terms with producer Ron Howard.[24] Despite this, Stephen King remains confident Howard will see the project through with another studio, and Howard confirmed the adaptation is still on track, noting that HBO will now carry the television series portion of the project.[25][4] On March 13, 2012 it was reported that Warner Bros. is now interested in making at least the first film, and would be in prime position to green-light the TV element through its sister company, HBO. Russell Crowe, tipped to play Roland Deschain, is reportedly still on board. Reports indicated that filming may have commenced as early as the first quarter of 2013.[6] However, Warner eventually passed on the film.[26]

Looks like the plan is an HBO series and three movies.
>>
>>260857126
Yeah but the project is at a standstill.
Warner dropped the ball, and another studio took initiative, but nothing concrete has been stated as of yet.

But a trilogy and a bridging series is a great idea to tell the story.
>>
>>260851483

First book is pretty meh and different from the rest, you could actually skip it entirely without missing all that much.
>>
Is it odd that Wizard and Glass is my favourite book in the series?
>>
I read the first two books. First one's pretty dull but i really liked the second one. Not sure why i stopped.
>>
>>260857453
>skip it entirely

Nigger are you serious? And miss that speech at the end with the man in black? Not to mention Roland's origins, great settings and terrific premise.

Its simplistic sure, as any first book of a great saga should be. But it's probably one of my favorite from the series.

Do not miss it by any means
>>
>>260857523
No. Book 2, 3 and 4 are interchangeable for which is the best. I personally think book 2 is the best.
>>
Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
>>
>>260857764
Why doesn't no one mention 5,6 or 7? I've read up to 4, and I can't see how the next three are inferior in some way. So far they are terrific, progressively getting better
>>
>>260857949

Last three were rushed out one after the other and it shows
>>
>>260857949
They just don't have the same feeling as the previous 3, 4.5 helps a bit with this but doesn't change the actual books.

6 especially to me is just not up to the standard of the previous ones
>>
>>260858070
>last 3 books released in a span of a year and a half

Was Stevie afraid he was gonna die before finishing with Roland or something?
>>
>>260858227
Should i read 4.5 first or save it for after 7?
>>
>>260858378
Pretty much. Having a van hit you will do that.
>>
>>260858508
Read it first, I'm reading it after 7 but it feels weird.
>>
>>260857949
Yes, he was ran over by a van while jogging one day.
>>
>>260847528
>>260847959
I mean, I get it, Stephen, what you are trying to say. The only problem with that is what had come just before this spiel was so utterly retarded tat I just didn't care by that point. You know?
>>
>>260847472
Meh, too energetic.
>>260847358
Funnily enough, I was into a Camel pass while I was reading through The Dark Tower and I now heavily associate the band (particularly The Snow Goose album) with the series.

Not ideal music for a game but I think they fit well together.
>>
>>260859276
I like the irony in saying he had one door left, which inside contained infinitely many doors to be open.
>>
>>260859286
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg75nFifO90
Because why not.
Weird Uncle Rock best Rock.
>>
>>260853486
>PROLIFERATION OF TOWERS
>>
>>260860039
>Weird Uncle Rock best Rock.
It's on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOYD9AkqHE
>>
>>260860337
Nigga, you can't win this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6BS8WqtNs
>>
>>260860507
Puh-lese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msi2fhWU78w
>>
>>260860847
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peCO8A1npJI
Forfeit now and I'll allow you to walk away with your pride intact.
>>
Pass the whisky.
>>
>>260861172
Never!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3ezVBRtCY
>>
File: 2014-05-10_00014_zps9c9667ee[1].jpg (47KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-10_00014_zps9c9667ee[1].jpg
47KB, 800x449px
>>
File: 1344162600165.gif (472KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
1344162600165.gif
472KB, 500x250px
>DT game comes out
>It's all far-west and non stop revolvereedo shooty
>the weird shit is too weird so they left it out
>Revolver are about shooting stuff and not more of a statement as to your identity (and lineage)
>persuasion is not a major gameplay element
>crotch-high walls everywhere
>You can soak up bullets like crazy
>You have infinite ammo or ammo is otherwise fucking everywhere
>Story is about saving your pruddy grill
>mfw

>>260861435
Must you grovel in the mud so?
Hark, pray and live the life of the defeated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DrDa_aS2SE
>>
>>260841310
>tfw on book 5 and can't read thread because spoilers
Also Bioware was in the early stages of creating a DT game when the movie/tv series was still a possible thing.
>>
>>260861805
Say it aint so anon.
>>
>>260861979
Anons are pretty considerate, no major spoilers on non-spoiler text. Everything else is behind black highlight, just avoid that.
>>
>>260861805
You forgot the face of your father!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7GdFyuUWo
>>
>>260862025
You know it for the truth it is.
You know it.

It'll be Mass Effect all over again, except no first game to help with the overall quality of the series.

>Quirky follower
>Cute ineffective pet
>Arsenal of firearms
>bullet time out the ass
>CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE
>SILKY SMOOTH 30FPS
>washed out colors
>lens flares
>tacked-on multiplayer which unlocks stuff toward single-player

>>260862241
Shit, had not heard this before.
Consider this a temporary truce while I analyse this.
I will be back.

ALL TROOPS, RETREAT!
>>
File: xfiles1.jpg (166KB, 1445x1078px) Image search: [Google]
xfiles1.jpg
166KB, 1445x1078px
Y'all niggas have forgotten the face of your fathers.
>>
>>260862545
>half assed blockbuster movie gets released about DT
>Chris Hemsworth or Ryan Renolds as Roland
>Game adaptation by EA with 10 pre-order DLCs
>Everything you listed comes true

Fuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

I'd rather not have anything.
>>
File: 1299771901697.jpg (99KB, 694x448px) Image search: [Google]
1299771901697.jpg
99KB, 694x448px
>>260862996
stop, please
>>
>>260851247
hahahah oh wow. Oh fuck.
>>
>>260862996
this.
I'd rather not have anything, no movie, no series, no games. Just leave the books alone for now, please. We have literally no game company that exists right now that could do them justice.

Just leave it.
Leave me to my dreams. For I dream of the dark tower.
>>
>>260864541
CDPROJEKT could do it some justice or some other non-american developer, just so it wouldn't be made for a cashgrab.

Maybe funded by kickstarter, but I remain doubtful about that sort of funding, considering the recent major failures.

maybe bethesda could give it a try... wait, nah, scratch that. Leave it the fuck alone.
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.