[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody else here ever teach themselves a language via video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

File: pokemonschwarze.jpg (28KB, 490x375px) Image search: [Google]
pokemonschwarze.jpg
28KB, 490x375px
Anybody else here ever teach themselves a language via video games?

I had a few shitty German classes in high school, but I've always wanted to learn German still. I just found my old supercard dstwo, and loaded up Pokemon Swarze, and over the past week, I've been using it to learn German.
I use a German dictionary, and refuse to pass by any text in the game until I understand it fully.
I'm using the dictionary less and less now, and much of the dialog (and all of the battle text) I understand now.

This is pretty cool. I've never picked up any language this quickly before, and I know a few others (Spanish, French, some Russian, some Japanese). Why don't schools use some method like this?
>>
I'm too stupid for something like that.
It's cool you're doing it.
Schools will never do anything like this cause the education is fucked and always will be. (Ausfag)
>>
>>260093469
*the education system
>>
>>260093205
>teach themselves
No. I play French vidya in accompaniment with my French classes to improve my reading.
>>
>>260093701
>French classes
I can't afford that shit. I live in Amurrikkka where education costs more than getting your teeth fixed.
But still, immersion is the best tool to learning a language, and video games are probably the best option outside of living somewhere where it's the primary language, given how it's an interactive medium.
>>
>>260094056
lolwut
Just go to any community college, shit's not that expensive.
>>
videogames greatly helped me with my english when I was a kid
>>
>>260094056
French is my major at university.
Things like Duolingo would be much better than simple foreign vidya.
>>
File: 10889060 .jpg (193KB, 812x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10889060 .jpg
193KB, 812x1000px
what ever faggot

just post pokegirls
>>
>>260093205
>Anybody else here ever teach themselves a language via video games?
No. And if you seriously have, or have tried to do that, kill yourself.
>>
>Why don't schools use some method like this?
there's a book about a method similar to yours called The Ignorant Schoolmaster by Jacques Ranciere
I'm actually studying to be an english teacher in an spanish speaking country, and during our philosophy classes we discussed this book.
>>
>>260093205
Yup that's how I've learnt English,keep at it OP,you'll be amazes by how fast you can progress using these kinds of methods especially when combined with coventional ones
>>
>>260095474

Probably the stupidist character design those poke-nips have ever made.
>>
>>260093205
language immersion is mch better than just classes, anyone knows this
except in cases like japanese or most other languages that don't use the latin alphabet, that shit is just alien
>>
Wenn du wirklich Deutsch lernen möchtest spiel NICHT Pokemon. Das ist ein dummes Spiel für Kinder und die Dialoge/Story sind viel zu einfach und sinnlos.

Spiel am besten etwas mit einer tieferen Story und Dialogen z.b. Mass Effect, Dragon Age oder Warcraft 3.

Gruesse aus Stuttgart
>>
>>260095660
>an spanish
I clearly need to keep practicing.
>>
File: 51BC26fCd8L._SX300_.jpg (27KB, 300x270px) Image search: [Google]
51BC26fCd8L._SX300_.jpg
27KB, 300x270px
so where these games effective at all? I remember trying the Spanish one when it first came out but i eventually lost interest in it and left it for a real game

Are there any other, more effective game based language games out there?
>>
finally a thread i can post in!

> be Russian
> know shit all english
> play Myth
> mission with an horde of spooky skellingtons
> beat them after shitloads of effort
> learn that the objective was "Escape"
>>
>>260095693
Well, obviously you need some sort of basis before jumping into immersion. You have to know the basics about grammar and shit first. It's good to hammer in vocabulary and context though.

>>260095747
I don't really give a shit about story and dialog here. I tried to jump into Das Glasperlenspiel and was pretty lost. Thought it would be good to start more simply.
Also, I did manage to read your entire post without looking up any words, and I don't think I would have been able to do that a week ago, so I think I'll stick with this for now. There's a reason that children first learning their native language don't start with Joseph Heller novels.
I think any more simple RPG would work just as well. Probably visual novels too (inb4 Unteralterbach).
>>
>>260095161
i took italian at community college

i got an A, and i don't remember a lick of it
>>
>>260096371
that's why i said it's better than JUST classes
>>
>>260095675
that ass doe mang
>>
>>260096323
Underrated post, you commie bastard
>>
>>260096642
Oh yeah, I get that, I was just clarifying that I don't think that you could realistically get by from the start with just video games, unless you're an actual genius, like that kid who taught himself 11 languages solely from different translations of the bible.
>>
>using fiction to teach yourself things
Holy shit, I had no idea /v/ was this retarded.
>>
>>260095161
>$500 a semester
>$1000 if I do it online
>Not that expensive
Man, $500 is half a month's rent. I'm not a poorfag, but I'm not rich enough that $500 is something I can drop on wanting to take a semester of a language, especially when you need upwards of 4 semesters to get fluency, and even that's far from ideal because it takes 2 full years.
>>
I forced myself to learn some moon runes for God Eater 2.
The only thing that stuck were the monster names and I've probably forgotten most them by now.
>>
>>260097912
people that have literally NO IDEA about education should just shut the fuck up.
>>
Just use Duolingo
>>
File: 1384900614994.jpg (58KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1384900614994.jpg
58KB, 300x300px
>>260096323
10/10 that's gold.
>>
English with the help from The Dig and dictionary
>>
>>260093205
I've never tried that, but it sounds like a really fucking good idea.
>>
I learned like 90% of my English from video games and internet.
>>
File: 1391734446057.jpg (37KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1391734446057.jpg
37KB, 320x287px
>>260093205
>Trying to learn Japanese
>Jouyou kanji and grammer giving me trouble
>Occasionally, the language sounds same-ish, bolstering the confusion further.
>Attempt to read something in Japanese in video games, but just ends in me skipping the dialogue in frustration.
Fucking hell, how do I do this, /v/?
>>
File: wow so fun such toys.jpg (494KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wow so fun such toys.jpg
494KB, 1024x1024px
>>260096323
10/10 post
>>
>>260100349
doesn't work for alien languages, fuckface
works for stuff like german because you have a base idea of how the letter sound, and there's enough similarities between english and german
>>
>>260100349
put the effort in, fuckface. Focus on Grammar, especially particles. Nouns, verbs, adjectives can be extrapolated or looked up.

Also playing something you already know by heart.. say Pokemon RBY makes it easy to understand
>>
My main lenguage is Spanish, I've learn english mostly due videogames.
>>
>>260098241
It's not real you delusional faggot. You cannot learn shit from fiction. Least of all how to fucking read.
>>
File: 1240393095655.jpg (78KB, 639x595px) Image search: [Google]
1240393095655.jpg
78KB, 639x595px
>>260093205
my college thesis is actually about how the simpler language and text techniques used in pokemon games help people learn other languages.

i will try using pokemon to learn japanese if i find a easy to use kanji dictionary.

but a easy to use kanji dictionary is kinda difficult to find

>mfw i can finally understand enough japanese to play super robot taisen without a guide
>>
>>260093205
Du scheinst mit deiner Methode allerdings nicht viel Erfolg zu haben, wenn du nicht einmal "schwarze" richtig schreiben kannst.
>>
>take spanish 1 in 9th grade
>learn the very fucking basics at the beginning of the year
>rest of the school year is spent doing fucking nothing
>come to class and just hang and talk with my friends literally the whole time
>sometimes we had discussions as a class on random shit not pertaining to spanish and watched movies

it was fun but not productive at all. spanish is gay anyways.
>>
>>260093469
Seriously? We (in QLD) learned German from Yr 4 onward, and once in highschool, the German elective involved doing everything in German. We'd watch dubs of movies, play games/vidya, and read books.
Maybe you just had a shitty school?
>>
>>260110042
genau das habe ich eben auch gedacht. zudem sollte der gute anon bedenken, dass die dialoge in pokemon spielen maximal das deutsche "grundschulniveau" beinhalten
>>
I did the same thing with french pokemon. It can't be your only resource of the language though. It blows me the fuck away when people learn moon.
>>
File: 2013-03-21 12.59.30.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
2013-03-21 12.59.30.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
I plan to eventually.

>No kanji
>Villager banter good for conversation learning
>>
>>260100349
Maybe get into VNs?
If the main focus is the text, it would miss the point to skip it.
That's how I learned Japanese, anyways, supplemented with Anki and grammar from Tae Kim.
You could try Baldr Sky. It has relatively simple language and it's also a very fun game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-5Yz1h__-w
>>
I used to teach myself moon by playing homosex games.
>>
>>260093205
Thats Amazing man, makes me want to find a french version of pokemon and try this out
>>
>>260093205
I bought Tales of Symphonia in France fully convinced I could change languages. I had to learn it the hard way and ask my parents for every single french word I didn't know.
Taught me a shitload though. Try doing the fucking wind dungeon puzzle with the legs arms head and colours and shit.
JAMBE VERT, MAIN JAUNE, TÊTE ROUGE BITCHES
>>
File: Happy Holidays.jpg (320KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Holidays.jpg
320KB, 1024x768px
Yes, I learned English by playing Guild Wars 1. You could just press right Ctrl to change all the in game text to english from your language.
>>
>>260093469

>educations is fucked and always will be

Abbott $$$ are literally sending me to go and study over in Japan for 8 months, all expenses paid with $4000 worth of reallocation funds.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.