[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 428
Thread images: 97

File: sntnazheader.png (320KB, 600x261px) Image search: [Google]
sntnazheader.png
320KB, 600x261px
Are you ready for the return of the Space Genre? personally I've been playing Elite Dangerous, and it's been super fun. Pic related, Wings of Saint Nazaire.
>>
my buddy is ready
>tfw no daily LT dev logs because josh parnell is on vacation
>>
>>258912474
I might enjoy ED when I can finally get a maneuverable ship. The one you start with is a cow and I just can't get used to it.
And why doesn't the ship yaw as fast as it pitches? In space there's no atmosphere, and maneuvering thrusters should be able to rotate you in any direction with ease.
Why do I have to constantly bank and roll like I'm flying through air? I find it needlessly frustrating.
>>
>>258912837
Limit Theory looks so badass too. All these different space games have their own flavor of how they play, so all of them are super refreshing.
>>
>>258913059
I think its because the thrusters are not as powerful as the later on ships. I have been using the Hauler, which is a tank to fly, but it has tons of space.
>>
>>258913523
Any recs on getting some starting cash in solo? I've just been sort of pissing around, but I can't win any dogfights at all. I feel like the AI ships are doing this yo-yo thing where they come at me, turn quickly, then come back at me. No matter what I do, I can't turn as quickly as them, nor can I dodge their fire no matter how much I juke. Frankly, I find it easier to kill pirates via ramming than shooting.

I use the flight assist toggle and everything, but I think I'm just too used to dogfighting in X3, Evochron and SC. Intuitively, cutting throttle to zero (thus maxxing power to maneuvering thrusters) should make you turn super-fast so you can whip around and fire backwards at someone coming at you in a straight line, or circle-strafe larger slower ships keeping your guns on them the whole time.

In ED this just doesn't feel possible, and it's like everything I've ever "known" about sci-fi space battles is a lie. All the way back to X-Wing / TIE Fighter, I've been trained to cut engines to turn. ED is the first game to punish me for it.
>>
File: enemystarfighter.jpg (225KB, 600x879px) Image search: [Google]
enemystarfighter.jpg
225KB, 600x879px
I'm most hype for Enemy Starfighter.

Nazaire looks pretty but still doesn't seem to have an actual game idea around it.. and that doesn't look like it'll change.

And SC is fucking vaporware
>>
I'm hype as fuck for Flagship.
It's like if Bridge Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire had a love child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVr98bTzxH8
>>
>>258914336
Doing trade routes can make you a lot of dosh, you can pick up Animal Meat from Eranin, sell it in Aulin, pick up Terrain enrichment systems in Aulin and sell them in I Bootis, and buy crop harvesters in I Bootis, and take them back to eranin.

But like I said though, later on ships have better thrusters, like the Eagle. ED does have a weird setup for fighting though.
>>
>>258914361
Enemy Starfighter looks great, and I would definitely pick that up when it's released.
>>
>>258914756
Holy crap I didn't see that one before, I want that!
>>
This game looks neat, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnMZzsV03Y

Basically any game where you're inside the ship instead of welded into a cockpit gets my spacedick hard.
>>
>>258912474
Is there a torrent for elite dangerous yet? after X rebirth i aint buying without checking it out first.
>>
>>258915786
>Look down
>See feet
Looks neat
>>
>>258916258
Fuck that, no immersion whatsoever
>>
>>258915786
Personally I'm just hype for all space games, I'm sick of FPS and Fantasy and Medieval games.
>>
Star Citizen master race reporting in

ED sucks hahahaha
>>
>>258916075
I would assume not since its all online for now, but this is a game worth buying on release though.
>>
>>258916576
haha all these games have good merits to them.
>>
>>258914361
>SC is fucking vaporware

wat

im playin it rite now
>>
>Already bought into SC
>Hype for ED
>Hype for Limit Theory
>All these neat games I haven't even heard of before
How does the strategy side look? I'm honestly a bit skeptical of Star Ruler 2
>>
>>258915786
This. me too.

I would LOVE to play a game with my mates like this. Not necessarily pvp but with coop it would be great
>>
>>258918016
HOLY SHIT I JUST CHECKED THE WEBSITE AND ITS ACTUALLY THAT!!

thank you based >>258915786 for telling us about it
>>
Call it scam citizen, but that last reveal was pretty fucking intense
>Four players aboard a ship
>Enemy missle or space shot thing breaches the hull of the ship
>Player puts on magnetic boots
>He struggles his way to the cockpit as shits getting sucked out of the hole
>He enters the cockpit
>Proper fucking air movement as the breach room is sealed off
>Proceeds to enter turrets and shit as the captain fly's it with other people

Then they teased the FPS module. If they can add both of those together, and actually pull off the boarding and walking around outside of your ship to repair shit, I'll have a reason to put off killing myself.
>>
>>258918781
Link?
>>
>>258918781
>Proceeds to enter turrets and shit as the captain fly's it with other people
That was fucking awesome, reminded me of that scene in New Hope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBagc1Ww0_Y
>>
File: Aquila_InFlight.jpg (2MB, 4750x1625px) Image search: [Google]
Aquila_InFlight.jpg
2MB, 4750x1625px
>>258919006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0grZDNdUYY

That's their gamescom stream.
>>
File: 1408212409627.jpg (2MB, 2635x3248px) Image search: [Google]
1408212409627.jpg
2MB, 2635x3248px
I'm patiently awaiting ANY news on Homeworld HD, and also waiting for the Arena Commander patch for Star Citizen which should be dropping in like, what, 10 days or so.

Has Elite: Dangerous dropped in price yet or is it still like 100+ dollarydoos to play it. I think it looks comfy.
>>
>>258914361
>A civilization's ascension or downfall always begins with one thing: you.

That's the shittiest wording I've read since those Bioware promotional images
>>
>>258919006
see>>258919317
It's towards the end.
>>
>>258919654
>Has Elite: Dangerous dropped in price yet or is it still like 100+ dollarydoos to play it. I think it looks comfy.

It's going to stay like that until retail.
>>
File: 1247808907608.jpg (60KB, 527x681px) Image search: [Google]
1247808907608.jpg
60KB, 527x681px
>>258918183
Just doing my part for the good of spehss.
>>
>>258919654
its 75 bucks right now, it'll be 50 on release.
>>
>>258919930
It's pretty close to release right? I mean they're in a full on beta right now correct? I was under the impression they were going to do a retail release and continue to add game mechanics and features.
>>
>>258920407
They say Q4 this year, but the game really feels bare bones at the moment.
>>
>>258920407
I think that's the plan, they're hoping to add walking around stations and exploring planets in the future.
>>
>>258920563
Considering how they've chopped off stuff to sell as DLC, those will be too.
>>
>>258918781
Is anyone else hyped for Interstellar?
>>
File: 1408141046707.webm (3MB, 642x360px)
1408141046707.webm
3MB, 642x360px
>>258918781
>>
>>258914361
>SC is fucking vaporware
That's literally wrong at this point. People who still think it's a scam or is vaporware just want something to be mad about.
>>
>>258920563
I saw a video on that a while back, that also showed a large capital-ish ship with an interior, I haven't been following the development that closely so I wasn't sure if they had made any progress on that front.

Problem for those guys is that you can't procedurally generate that shit, you have to hand make it.
>>
File: 1408140434868.webm (3MB, 640x360px)
1408140434868.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>258918781
And don't forget
>Now this is podracing
>>
>>258921102
Should'a skipped all that bullshit at the beginning so you could see him spacing the flight deck.
>>
File: capital.jpg (161KB, 1192x870px) Image search: [Google]
capital.jpg
161KB, 1192x870px
>>258915786
I'm interested to see how SC handles capital ship crew mechanics, would be fun to be part of a ship working with other people.
>>
>>258920723
Got an example?
>>
>>258921812
https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-expansion-pass.html
>We intend to continue expanding the game with both new content and new features such as planetary landings and ship boarding.
>>
>>258922261
Huh did not know that. Oh well, I'm still enjoying the game immensely, and wouldn't mind supporting it more after release.
>>
>>258921797
There's a lot of speculation but it will probably boil down to how their instancing system works. They've outright said that they're shooting for between 50 - 100 ships in an instance...but that doesn't really account for how many people are in that instance because ships can have a large number of crew.

A ship like the bengal carrier, seen here >>258919654
is supposed to have hundreds of crew members aboard. So that, NPC crewmen, and how much they can modify CryEngines shitty netcode is all going to come into play when figuring out capital ship systems and individual crew mechanics.
>>
>>258921797
I dont see a 100 crew ship being effective, its just too much chain of command for an online game, 20 five-man ships will be far more effective.

>>258921372
Its like F-Zero and Wipeout had a love child.
>>
What about free space games?
>>
Space sims are nice, but I want a new Descent.
>>
>>258912474
MY SPACESHIP IS READY
>>
File: 1405882556650.webm (3MB, 720x405px)
1405882556650.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>258923285
It's unlikely to be 100 crew on even the Bengal given the ball park figure of 100 players being the limit. Large ships are supposed to be only obtainable by the most organised people anyways due to the lengths you have to go to get one, so given that I'm guessing they would expect you to already have good cooperation.
>>
File: 201308.jpg (270KB, 825x825px) Image search: [Google]
201308.jpg
270KB, 825x825px
The Bagel Carrier will be 98% NPC's.
>>
>>258916576
>Star Citizen
>master race

Maybe in 5 years, once they've sorted out all of their current problems, and dealt with the ones to come.
>>
>>258923551
Didn't you get one and it sucked ass? Wasn't it called like "mining wars" or some shit?

I could personally go for a new Colony Wars.
>>
>>258923983
Isn't that the thing that was supposed to be Descent/red faction?
>>
>>258922940
They completely rewrote the netcode
>>
>>258924470
I think no, I never played it personally but I watched a trailer or two. It wasn't called Descent though but it was supposed to be a spiritual successor somehow. I'd personally rather just play Forsaken, which was a Descent ripoff for sure, but better in almost every way.
>>
File: wallpaper_19.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_19.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
Aegis Master Race
>>
>>258921797
>one guy has all the fun piloting it
>a couple guys shoot stuff from turrets sometimes
>the rest occasionally pushes buttons in a dark room and just sits on their asses for most of the time

That would be great.
>>
Anyone here know some good classic space games?
>>
>>258925541
Poor mans Hornet.

Super Hornet and 350r master race.
>>
>>258925786
I don't want to pilot anything, personally. I want to be an engineer.
The thought of being able to watch the ongoing battle from a window somewhere, and then suddenly having to run off and repair some failing reactor or something is hype as fuck.

Piloting..meh.
Turret..bleh.
Passenger? Nice.
Science officer scanning stuff? Cool.
C&C tagging targets and feeding data to pilot/gunners? Awesome.
Engineer keeping the ship together with blood, sweat and tears? Fucking ace.
>>
File: earthlike_planet_02.jpg (362KB, 1920x1229px) Image search: [Google]
earthlike_planet_02.jpg
362KB, 1920x1229px
Wow, Elite: Dangerous really looks incredible, much better than I thought. Seems they're actually aiming even higher than fucking Star Citizen.

I really don't understand how this game remained under the radar, Star Citizen got way too much attention for its own good.
>>
>>258925998
Well homeworld is considered one of the finest, but it's an RTS. If you're looking for something where you're "in the pilots seat" you can always go classic chris roberts and play Wing Commander, Freespace and Freelancer. If you want to emulate you can play Colony Wars games, Descent (which I think you need dosbox for) and Elite games.

I usually default to emulation because it plays better with a controller as opposed to classing joystick stuff...or Freelancer which has solid, but simplistic, mouse controls.
>>
>>258925998
Freespace 2

Best mission based game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIWdolT9xY
>>
>>258927057
Me either considering Christ Roberts put an article on the RSI website for Elite during it's initial funding campaign. I think it probably has more to do with CR focusing on arcadey fun stuff in spired by Star Wars space opera...which people gravitate towards.
>>
>>258927131
Nice, they all sound really interesting. thanks
>>
>>258927057

SC is created from the same talent who made Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer, made by two different companies and they were all very popular thanks to EA and Microsoft.

Elite was super popular much earlier than say Wing Commander but then went under the radar since and stayed under, failing to get any attention despite being in a similar situation.

People are just more excited for stories over sandboxes I guess. X basically BTFO elite anyway for things to do with an industry chain over planetary flight but only came up to par with Freelancer that had weaker gameplay overall.
>>
>you'll never get to play Infinity: Quest for Earth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrcEUO7TC28
>>
File: 1406344359964.gif (2MB, 365x333px) Image search: [Google]
1406344359964.gif
2MB, 365x333px
>attempting to get into ED for the ~7th time
>tfw they start you with the shittiest possible ship and 1000 CR which isn't enough to buy a single crate of animal meat
>each previous time i crashed/exploded and didn't have any money to repair/refuel so had to erase data and start again
>finally get hotas setup optimized for the game
>finally re-learning how to fly in ED's gotta-be-different flight system
>take a little mission to ferry some fabric two systems over
>first jump dumps me out right on top of the fucking star
>EMERGENCY STOP OVERHEATING HOLY FUCK
>pull a spaceballs-style u-turn as i set the nav to the next system and jump out of there
>get dumped right on top of the fucking star AGAIN
>IS THERE NO NAV COMPUTER WITH SANE JUMP-TO-THE-RIM PROGRAMMING? GOD
>pull a hard banking maneuver at 4c and head towards my destination
>inch towards it at superluminal speeds until i'm within 10km and then jump out of frame shift
>station pops into existence in the middle of empty space like fuck you
>fly around and park in front of its hangar
>try to figure out how to contact these fuckers for docking permission again
>try to hail them on the COMMS - nope
>try to bring up the option on its NAV entry - nope
>oh yeah, CONTACTS okay, permission granted have a nice fucking stay
>fly in there and set my ship up for landing all nice
>carefully maneuver and swivel that butt down
>reach for the landing gear
>press the engine boost
>Would you like a new free ship with fucking nothing equipped? Or would you like to re-purchase the basic dirt-poor starter garbage kit, which is almost twice the cost of the money we started you with?

I give up.
I'm too plebeian for E:D.
It's beaten me.
>>
>>258928298
That's not even still being developed, is it?
I've been following that dude's twitter for years and all he talks about are playing other video games and occasionally showing how well he can texture a sphere.
>>
>>258928605

I-Novae studio has the engine developed and are working on Infinity: Battlescape. IF they could get the proper funding the game would be sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7PmFHlaz8Q
>>
>>258928418
>first jump dumps me out right on top of the fucking star
>get dumped right on top of the fucking star AGAIN

That's always where you land. Just slow down, you won't fly into it anyway before some time.

It actually makes little sense, originally they had designed the game to have micro jumps within a system, where you would jump near objects of large mass: stars by default, planets and moons, and in the middle of nowhere, the largest object available, meaning, a ship, thus facilitating encounters.

Then they added the frameshift drive and it changed everything, but you still jump to stars.
>>
>>258928985
>IF they could get the proper funding the game would be sick
And if they can actually finish it too.
>>
>>258929285
I would kill for an Evochron-style navicomputer where you can plot your entry and exit positions down to 500m accuracy.
>>
>>258928418
What HOTAS do you use?
>>
>>258929646
Well that would make things like trading far too easy.
>>
>>258929713
T-Flight Hotas X, the cream of the crap.
I've been saving up for a warthog, but it'll be another few years before my piggy bank is fat enough for that.

>>258929761
>too easy
Well if they still kept track of your custom-plotted routes and extended Super-Cruise interdiction to rip people out of Frame Shift as well, then it would fix things.

Besides, it'd be much scarier being torn out of FTL in the deep void lightyears from any system, rather than always being within scanner range of stations and the like.
>>
File: ScreenShot0008.jpg (316KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot0008.jpg
316KB, 1600x900px
>>258921160
>>258917298
>6 months late on the schedule
>One of the most outrageous cash shop in the industry
>Clearly a difference of quality between the different components (animations, UI, pure game design..)

>B-But it's ok I have something to play now!
Yeah thanks god after a year and half we have something to play, praise the fucking lord.
It's incredible how this game turned people into fucking drones who don't want to let their dream game go.
I was hyped too
I was fooled too
And ffs what was so create about creating this game on the CryEngine? I mean apart from having shiny visuals to show early to gather money for the kickstarter?
The engine is limiting them so much, it clearly shows in gameplay and in all the things as simple as being able to walk around in your ship WHILE in space not working just because it's hard the make this work shit without completely revamping chunks of the CryEngine.
This game will be mediocre at best, and i'm glad I woke up before the release.
>>
>>258931129
>Clearly a difference of quality between the different components (animations, UI, pure game design..)
That's not really a problem to be honest.

The real problem is the difference of quality between different assets: some ships look great, some are ugly, some sound effects are nice, others are straight up annoying and generic, some UI elements are a great idea, others are atrocious and whoever came up with the fucking missile lock animation should die...

It's how inconsistent it all is that bothers me the most.
>>
>>258931784
>missile lock animation
Yeah, that space boomerang. I cringed when one of my friends, watching a gameplay video, thought the lock-on animation was "cool".
They removed it already, right?
>>
>>258932761
Last time I tried, it was still there.
>>
can you use the avenger is SC yet?

is the multiplayer any good?

I'm not really motivated to download the like 10gb patches i missed
>>
I want to buy ED and Star Citizen, but is 75 dollars really worth it for beta access to ED?
And SC just looks like some weird fucking pay to win shit right now so I'm definitely gonna wait on that one
Really want to play No Mans Sky as well
>>
>>258933375
Only the Hornet (which is actually the mil-spec version) the 300i and the Arorua are in currently.

0.9 which releases in a week (planned) adds a bunch more ships as well as racing, I dont know if the avenger is in that list though.

The multiplayer is fun and they give you an appropiate ship if your one isnt in yet, which for the Avenger would be the Hornet.
>>
>>258933531
Wait some more for ED. It's pretty fun, but pretty empty and barebones too. The later beta stages might be more interesting, but for now it's not entirely worth it.

Actually I'm wondering if we'll ever get an actual "beta". They're really testing key features right now, many features are still lacking, and it doesn't actually seem like they plan on making it all playable before the very, very late beta stage, if it even happens.

But then there's still another early access phase to the final version for people who preordered, after the beta, so maybe this phase will be the "beta" in a way, as in "you can try the finished game albeit with a couple bugs".
>>
File: blues_mobile-2.jpg (121KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
blues_mobile-2.jpg
121KB, 900x450px
>>258934161
>I can't use my blues brothers space ship yet

feels bad
>>
>>258928418
When you're starting out, check the bulletin boards in stations for light cargo deliveries. You'll get paid a few thousand credits for taking a unit of cargo to a destination (but make sure you can actually reach the system in question, the Sidewinder has fuck all jump range and the requirement doesn't take into account ). It's dull work but it pays well and will give you a reason to practice docking and supercruise stuff. Once you can afford a Hauler you can start taking on heavier cargo jobs and do some meaningful trading on your own.
I'd suggest you keep trading until you've got about 200k credits, since that will let you buy and outfit a Viper with cash left over for insurance. Grab a K-warrant scanner and camp nav points/resource extraction sites for pirates, or find the conflict zones in Eranin/Dahan and sign up to shoot Federals/Commies as appropriate. Turn in the bounty vouchers/combat bonds at the relevant places for dosh. It's nowhere near as lucrative as trading, but it's a lot more fun. Just be sure not to die before you turn in your vouchers, because you lose them on death.

>>258934161
If you're desperate for it and simply can't wait, do it. Otherwise, grab the regular pre-order for now and wait and see if the beta gets any better, since >>258934389 pretty much has the right of it. After the "beta" there'll be a "gamma", which to me sounds like it'll be a "Release, but still actively adding features and polish" phase.
>>
>>258933531
>some weird fucking pay to win shit right now
At the moment it is I wont deny that because we cant earn the ships and weapons in game yet.

Think of it as a headstart, when the persistant universe drops they have promised they will remove the option for buying ships straight up with cash and you will have to earn them in game.
>>
>>258935249
>they have promised they will remove the option for buying ships straight up with cash and you will have to earn them in game
What about the promise that you'll still be buying the game in "packages"?
>>
>>258935207
>trading until 200k credits
But..but trade missions from the boards I've seen pay 500-1200 credits tops.
Please tell me there are missions that pay 10k - 50k eventually?
>>
>>258935626
I would assume that would be starter packages, like Fighter, Racer, Hauler. You'd likely start with either an Aurora or a Mustang and some basic kit configuration based on what you choose.

I doubt they'll have packages for more advanced ships after launch, but then I can't say for sure, can I?
>>
>>258935664
You don't need missions to trade. You buy cargo at low prices and sell them somewhere else at high prices. Even in a sidewinder, you should be able to make more than 1200 per trip.
>>
I need a new HOTAS setup for all the new spess shit stuff coming out. Between a rift, a joystick, a throttle, and possibly pedals it's going to get expensive.
>>
>>258937386
Logitech make a big package for like 250, and saitek HOTAS + Pedals will go for around 250. To me those are some of the highest quality sticks still in production that aren't ungodly expensive
>>
>>258935249
They already confirmed that you will be able to buy in game money with cash even after release. The rest is true though.
>>
Is there a way to go to a lower tier hanger in star citizen? I hate the fancy one
>>
>>258937823

I was thinking of going the CH Products route. I think I could live without pedals and bind rolling to a hat switch but my autism would never forgive me. I still have a lot of stuff to review though.
>>
File: 1396658474574.gif (47KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1396658474574.gif
47KB, 429x410px
>Want to be a sick ass space pirate
>Start rumaging through space sims
>Find a bunch of 4x titles about controlling an empire. Nope.
>Tons of sims based on trading and smuggling, but piracy is hilariously lacking
>Finally find something that encourages piracy
>All the ships under your command are ai run.

The search continues.
>>
>>258938123
Yea but the have a limit on the amount you can purchase per day, so buying UEC and then buying a ship with that will take far longer compared to just earning it in game. And hopefully we will see it also being priced out of being viable as well as well as measured put in place to keep money changers to a minimum.
>>
>>258938606
Next patch introduces completely redone hangars and the ability to switch between them

For a price
>>
>>258938915
Just wait until the persistant universe in SC releases, they even have a ship manufacturer which makes pirate oriented ships but claim they are for legit purposes.
>>
File: SURELY YOU JESTIN.png (230KB, 594x480px) Image search: [Google]
SURELY YOU JESTIN.png
230KB, 594x480px
>>258939378
>For a price
You shitting me?
>>
>>258938915
Distant Worlds: Universe
>>
>>258939378
They have already confirmed they are free to swap at will
>>
File: 1407661328381.jpg (93KB, 508x785px) Image search: [Google]
1407661328381.jpg
93KB, 508x785px
>>258938915
muh waifu
>>
>>258939536
Hangar "upgrades" are already available for money now, so presumably when that changes for the new system, they'll keep the cost

Because god knows they don't want to piss off the chumps who already paid for that shit
>>
>>258939652
Well, sucks to be whoever spent 40 bucks getting a Business/Deluxe upgrade add-on
>>
>>258939880
Most people got the upgraded hangars as part ofg a ship package so its only the retarded 0.01% who are affected.
>>
>>258939542
Looking bretty cool, but also a hefty price tag

Will it make me feel like a sickass pirate?
>>
File: 1405539677735.jpg (1MB, 2160x3072px) Image search: [Google]
1405539677735.jpg
1MB, 2160x3072px
There a more recent version of this yet?

Terraformer scale is still off and it's missing the Glaive
>>
>no Escape Velocity

you pleb cunts, definetely one of my favorite games of all time.

anyone know anything similar?
>>
File: ev nova.png (86KB, 806x625px) Image search: [Google]
ev nova.png
86KB, 806x625px
>>258941262
forgot pic
>>
Whats the spookiest thing in space?
>>
>>258943282
Space Skeletons
>>
File: 12165_91946.jpg (67KB, 600x464px) Image search: [Google]
12165_91946.jpg
67KB, 600x464px
So is SC strictly in space? I want to be a bounty hunter with a couple buddies but will there be stations or planets for us to go to or will we be just dicking around on the spaceship whilst waiting for something to happen?
Also it is a shame 0x10c got shelved I thought the idea of the in game computer was really interesting.
>>
File: Drake_cutlass_back-Left_visual.jpg (174KB, 2048x683px) Image search: [Google]
Drake_cutlass_back-Left_visual.jpg
174KB, 2048x683px
>>258943563
There's supposed to be a planetside component. As in; you'll land on planets/space stations and get to walk around and engage in fights. How far bounty hunting will go is too early to tell.
>>
File: Mako.jpg (253KB, 1140x390px) Image search: [Google]
Mako.jpg
253KB, 1140x390px
>>258943563
There are planetside and space station locations to visit, yes. You can even start firefights with other players on some of them

And planet exploration in tanks, at some stage
>>
File: observable universe.jpg (762KB, 3850x1925px) Image search: [Google]
observable universe.jpg
762KB, 3850x1925px
>>258943282
The cold vastness of space.
Nobody will ever find your derelict ship or body.
Entire solar systems can disappear and nothing will change, no one will see, the universe wont even care for something so pathetic small.
>>
>>258943563
It's not even right to call SC a space sim at this point, it's more like a future sim. There will be ship-to-ship boarding, planetside content (lifestyle sim stuff) and FPS content, most of which there is already footage of on their YT page. It's a much more ambitions project than Elite Dangerous which is basically just another space shooter.
>>
>>258943563
What >>258944216 said, its not so much a space sim as it is a simulation of humanity in the year 2944.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk
>>
>>258943840
Players can put bounties on each other on public job boards and hunters can mark their targets so they don't get lost in the instancing system
>>
File: 1408499557312.png (13KB, 354x465px) Image search: [Google]
1408499557312.png
13KB, 354x465px
When is E:D dropping in price
>>
>>258943840
>Choosing to post the Cutlass
Pirate scum detected... weapons online... targeting...
>>
File: 1401719096653.jpg (397KB, 1920x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1401719096653.jpg
397KB, 1920x1199px
>>258944956
When it comes out.
>>
File: 1405711989524.jpg (575KB, 2272x1884px) Image search: [Google]
1405711989524.jpg
575KB, 2272x1884px
>>
>>258927057
dunno man, I'm pretty hyped for both, but not gonna buy the beta cause its gonna be cheaper on launch. Also, anyone have problems getting into Arena commander? I load the game up and it crashes every five minutes, and I haven't actually been able to get into anything yet. Got a 760 and I meet all the other requirements, is this just me?
>>
>>258944956
Prices are already known anon. You can either get the beta for $75, or the retail game for $50.

Prices won't drop any further.
>>
File: 1407604980281.png (473KB, 640x547px) Image search: [Google]
1407604980281.png
473KB, 640x547px
>>
>>258944035
One main difference is that Star Citizen's universe size stop at "Solar Interstellar Neighborhood" in your pc, and E:D's stops at "Milky Way Galaxy".

That's not to say that their respective sandbox sizes are a pissing contest, but it's worth mentioning. E:D's will also be mostly procedural, while SC's will be mostly hand-crafted.
I'm actually interested and excited to see how they both compare and contrast when they're done.
>>
>>258941262
>>258941406
My nigga. I played that series since the very first Escape Velocity. EV: Override blew my mind and I lost my shit when EV: Nova came out.

I'd buy it again for modern comps, but they really like to charge a lot for it. At least last time I checked.
>>
>>258938714
CH Products fag here, I play a lot of Falcon 4 BMS and will probably get into SC or ED when they become more developed. I fucking love my CH products stuff, I have the fighterstick, pro pedals and pro throttle and they all work great. Very good for the price.
>>
>>258946760
I don't have much interest in either, I'm more into space x4 & rts.
>>
File: FE2.png (74KB, 957x594px) Image search: [Google]
FE2.png
74KB, 957x594px
>>258946149
Does it look like it will make Q4 2014 ?
>>
>>258940165
>hefty price tag
It includes all of the content from the base game and like 4-5 expansions, all in a single standalone priced as a single retail release. That's a pretty good deal, and it's a fantastic game IMO.

But it's a 4X. One of the best since MOO2 to be sure, but still a 4X. Not a whole lot of piracy going on, though there are some interesting pirate and mercenary faction scenarios.
>>
>>258946760
You can leave the neighborhood in SC, its just that you enter unexplored space and it becomes procedurally generated.

Its also far harder to leave though since you first need to find a jump point (similar to a wormhole), navigate it, and then hope it leads you somewhere useful. If it doesnt then you need to scout around for any more jump points and do the same. The good thing is that you can choose to sell the location of the jump points if you want and any planets you find can be named by you.
>>
>>258947108
see: >>258914756 if you haven't already
>>
INB4 wormholes are added to E:D and someone winds up reliving ST: Voyager
>>
File: oii tomato.jpg (55KB, 616x584px) Image search: [Google]
oii tomato.jpg
55KB, 616x584px
Goddamn CIG final Vanduul model reveal when
>>
Alright /v/, make your pick. What game do you think will end up as the best? SC or ED?
>>
>>258947415
I hadn't heard of them expanding it indefinitely like that. What CR said was they were putting 122 star systems into the game, and only a small number of them would be known and explored at launch, and the rest would have to be charted and discovered by the player base.
He said they'd be slowly expanding the size as players expanded outwards to the borders, but I never read anything about it just generating more universe when players got to the edge.

You have a source on that? I'm interested to know, because that's kind of a big deal.
>>
>>258947675
Both
>>
>>258947675
I think SC will be more successful and E:D will be more of a cult classic. I have no idea which one will actually be better, though I'm leaning towards SC just because its flight model feels much more gratifying at the moment.
I won't know for sure until they're both gold though.
>>
>>258947478
ayyy lmao
>>
>>258947478
Probably never, the Vanduul are the space equiv of nomad vikings, they come into your system, wreck your shit, steal what they can, and then fly off. The other races dont even know if they have a home planet any more.

The only reason why some people have scythes in the lore is because they were captured or occasionally traded by Vanduul when they are desperate enough.
>>
File: 1381481608911.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1381481608911.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>258948002
SQ42 is confirmed to have FPS missions in it, so you'll be shooting them in the face eventually
>>
>>258948002
CR said there will be Vanduul in pirate bases and such that you can smuggle weapons to in exchange for cash, alien tech or possibly an attempt to kill you without paying.
An early concept drawing was released a year ago, so I assume the model is coming eventually.
>>
>>258947714
I cant remember the exact source but it was in one of the 10ftC or Jump Point. Go ask on /scg/ and they will give an exact answer.
>>
File: Im glad its over.jpg (37KB, 396x388px) Image search: [Google]
Im glad its over.jpg
37KB, 396x388px
>Don't follow Star Citizen that much
>Miss most of the ship sales because of it
>Find out about the Super Hornet
>Visions of Grandeur about me and a bro flying a space version of a F-14 or F-4 where I'm the pilot and he's the Radar Intercept Officer as we kick the shit out of other ships in PvP.
>Can no longer buy the Super Hornet
Why.
>>
>>258948256
>they're not space kittyrathi
kinda disappointed
>>
File: Braced For Impact.jpg (147KB, 1280x636px) Image search: [Google]
Braced For Impact.jpg
147KB, 1280x636px
>>258948002
Also the lore behind the Scythes is that the UEE captured a Vanduul Carrier intact and sold most of the Scythes off on the private market
>>
>>258948461
Lets hope we can mod cat tails and ears
>>
>>258948430
its all right nigga, there's other 2 or more person ships out there, you and your bro can still coop
>>
>>258948256
Oh right you are talking about the actual character models, I though you meant more Vanduul ship reveals.
>>
>>258948430
It was a limited model and a unique chassis.
It will be available in-game, so just get it when you play.
>>
I'm interested after that multi-person ship showcase. I would love to play star trek with less exploding consoles.
>>
>>258948524
Isn't that kinda the space equivalent of capturing a bunch of Cold War USSR soldier uniforms and then selling them to the American public in 1960? It would cause confusion and tension at best, and a whole lot of people accidentally blowing friendly scythes out of the sky at worst.

Even with IFF transponders, the safe assumption is that the signal's been spoofed and that's actually an enemy vessel, because they're at fucking war.
>>
File: 1407428061036.png (405KB, 891x649px) Image search: [Google]
1407428061036.png
405KB, 891x649px
>>258948430
So get a Cutlass. Or a Gladiator when they inevitably re-release it
>>
>>258947675
Both are in a very questionable state at the moment. ED is missing a good seventy-to-eighty percent of it's actual content and mechanics while SC has barely gotten the actual flying of the spaceships into public alpha, shiny trailers notwithstanding.
It's still too early to say anything for certain. In fact, I'd say you should stop trying to start pointless arguments and be excited that they're happening at all. Argue when they're finished and not playable largely by people with more money than sense.
>>
>>258949175
It's a carrier based dogfighter and the Vanduul aren't big on subtlety

If you see just the one and it's transmitting friendly, chances are very good it's some rich faggot
>>
>>258949134
Same here. Something not as big as the corvette but not as small as the constellation for me.
Maybe a nice 6-10 person vessel.

Or one with less crew as long as it's got lots of space inside. the 890JUMP yacht or whatever it's called looks fun to just cruise around in, and the starfarer tanker looks fantastic as long as it has some amenities inside, like a full lounge, maybe an office, etc. For only crewing what, 2? And being almost the size of the corvette? I hope it's got some very nice insides.
>>
File: deus vult3.png (172KB, 1221x928px) Image search: [Google]
deus vult3.png
172KB, 1221x928px
Who aurora here?
>>
File: F-15E.jpg (839KB, 2100x1341px) Image search: [Google]
F-15E.jpg
839KB, 2100x1341px
>>258949247
I hate the design of the Cutlass, the Hornet is very appealing to me. Gladiator looks cool too. Is Elite Dangerous going to have any two seat ships where one seat is behind the other? I love that type of design.
>>
>>258949789
Have E:D devs even mentioned multi-crew ships? They're not even planning to let you leave your cockpit or see your avatar's body as far as I've heard.
>>
>>258912474
>care bears space edition

no thanks
>>
>>258949715
Yep. I like the idea of a cozy mobile home in that sense. An ideal model for me would be something with a hangar, but not quite a hulking carrier.
>>
>All this talk about multi-crew ships
>Not one mention of Artemis
>>
>>258950145
I played it, it was fun, and I want more like it. Is it more finished now?
>>
>>258918781

>reveal

you mean the scripted bullshot hype trailer?

its funny watching geeks on the low end of the IQ scale fall for this shit
>>
I started playing ED once I got my oculus. Fuck me, it feels so fucking amazing.
Borrowed a joystick/throttle off one of my friends and it's just the most amazing thing to see my virtual hands doing the same thing as my actual hands. I haven't showered in days
>>
>>258949781
This shit looks super customizable.

I don't care how "bad" the actual graphics of a game are, as long as I can tailor my empire to my liking. Guess I'll check it out.
>>
>>258950230
>more like artemis
see >>258915786

also sort of space engineers when it's done. but it's a loooong way from being done
>>
File: aztecha3.png (87KB, 1450x817px) Image search: [Google]
aztecha3.png
87KB, 1450x817px
>>258950345
Aurora is crazy customizable. That's one thing I love about it.
>>
>>258950345
>graphics
Ha...
It's a blue-and-white vector star map and about ten thousand multi-layered spreadsheets.

If you can get into it, it's interesting, but it's really kind of...not a game? It was made as a GM's tool for some space tabletop game like GURPS Traveller or something.
>>
>>258950452
I saw that, looks pretty neat. I wish I could coma until everything is done and I can finally SPESS game again.
>>
>>258947203
It's still planned for Q4 2014, and it really looks like it'll make it.

So far they've proven to be quite competent and able to deliver on time. They're an actual company after all, not a bunch of school dropouts, and the crowfunded part is in fact only a portion of their budget, which means they have more than backers to answer to, so if it was late, they'd say it.
>>
>>258916330
> lack of body parts increases immersion
No, it fucking doesn't. It makes me realize I'm a floating eyeball with midget arms and horse blinders on.
>>
>>258949715
The Idris got upgraded to a Frigate because of size issues, so it seems the replacement Corvette will be a bit smaller than the Idris was because of the difficulty of making a small carrier

I'd go for a Retaliator, myself
>>
>>258950664
That's what it was back when it was first created. It's actually a game now.
>>258950345
If you're gonna check it out, take a look at this pastebin.
http://pastebin.com/CnHV9StF
Aurora Portable is almost completely bug free, but the download link for it doesn't appear to be on the forums anymore.
>>
File: 1407429947379.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px)
1407429947379.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>258950909
>>
>>258949715
Merchantman
>>
File: 1306994626996.png (168KB, 376x348px) Image search: [Google]
1306994626996.png
168KB, 376x348px
>tfw Oculus DK2 is coming Friday and you've mounted your hotas to your chair in prep for Elite Dangerous.
It's almost happening. I can finally escape this world.
>>
File: Elite Dangerous with Oculus Rift.jpg (241KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
Elite Dangerous with Oculus Rift.jpg
241KB, 1024x640px
>>258951651
>tfw not enough money for Oculus DK2

I'll have to do with my man tits for now.
>>
I'm trying to remember the name of an upcoming space game that's designed to be reminiscent of oldschool Wing Commander.
I mean with the art style and everything, anyone know what I'm talk about?
>>
>>258953241
Check the OP
>>
I like St. Nazaire, it's really beautifully done. Is it gonna be stuck at 640x480 forever though? Because I don't think I can play it like that.
>>
File: 1406572047413.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1406572047413.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>258953241
Wings of Saint Nazaire.
>>
>>258953241
you mean like wing commander saga: darkest dawn?
>>
>>258950283
well, yeah, obviously it's all pre-rendered. But those are in-game assets, and they're literally adding some version of everything you see into the game eventually.
>>
File: f9FW2.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
f9FW2.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>258953471
Oh fuck, I didn't even realize that was the game.
I'm a faggot.
>>
>>258949175
you'll see them well within safe sectors almost exclusively. No rogue vanduul strike fighter is going to get that far into sector, spoofed transponder or not.
>>
>>258944216
Except ED is doing just as much.

Which I'm not happy about, because I'm tired of all of you overambitious faggots fucking up my space sims with this shit
>HEY GUYS WE'RE REVIVING THE SPACE SIM GENRE!
>LOL, NEVERMIND, WE'RE MAKING SECOND LIFE 2944
>>
>>258954172
And then the Sacking of Earth happens
>>
>>258949894
Dude, do some research. Multi-crew ships and FPS modules are all planned. Just not this year. Releasing those parts of the game later down the line because they wanted to focus on the core spaceshippy parts first.
>>
File: Harlock.webm (3MB, 1000x600px)
Harlock.webm
3MB, 1000x600px
I just want to be a space pirate and do space pirate things.

I played distant worlds, EvE, X2 and X3, SINS, smuggler and a bunch of older vidya.
I'm tired of pirates being shitty cannons fodder tier.
What are my options beside games releasing in half a decade?
>>
>>258954559
And literally nothing changes since that happens in SQ42, not the PU.

And god. It is going to be so hamfisted. "HEY GUYS ITS LIKE ROME YOU GET IT THE VANDUUL ARE ACTUALLY ANALOGUES FOR MIGRATORY TRIBES LIKE THE VANDALS HAHAHA SHIT THIS IS GOLD JERRY!"
>>
>>258955189
It's the first event in the PU
>>
>>258955173
>What are my options beside games releasing in half a decade?
Elite: Dangerous releases at the end of the year if all goes well, and so far, it's going very well.
>>
>>258955173
Aren't pirates dangerous as fuck in Distant Worlds, though?
Especially in the Age of Shadows.
>>
>>258951382
i don't really like the look. i'm more into blocky and chunky designs than pointy ones
>>
>>258955384
Ah, my mistake. That's still incredibly stupid, since the UEE will still be around in force in the PU. It's kind of like what's the point if the UEE is going to have their capital sacked and just be like
>lol evs
>It's not even a big deal

Like shit, is it like Mass Effect 3, where everybody is just sitting there inhaling farts and SUDDENLY
>SURPRISE VANDUUL FLEET RIGHT ABOVE US!
>OH NO THEY MUST HAVE COMPLETELY BYPASSED SEVERAL LIGHTYEARS OF OUR TERRITORY WITHOUT US KNOWING FOR SOME REASON
>I'M MILDLY UPSET ABOUT THIS SEQUENCE OF INEXPLICABLE EVENTS, FORTUNATELY WE'LL RETAKE EARTH AND THIS WILL HAVE NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT
>>
>>258955913
Kinda, if you expand without cares or pump the difficulty to maximum AI cheat level.
>>
Hi /v/, please give me a space game to get hyped for.

I did pay the minimal $40 or so to be part of Star Citizen when it launches, but I just don't care for it anymore. I think it will end up being pay to win.
>>
>>258956717
ED, I guess? I don't know, though. I'm afraid that ED will be more impressive from a computer science perspective instead of a game perspective, especially since the community seems to be trying its best to kill any PVP or gameplay that revolves around combat.

Limit Theory is looking good.
>>
>>258912474
>Elite Dangerous

when the fuck is it coming out, I'm not paying EXTRA for an unfinished game
>>
>>258954257
ED is adding DLC on top of an already expensive game to hastily add features Star Citizen had from the beginning, in an effort to make themselves relevant.

And Star Citizen already has better ship to ship combat than ED, if you actually play both the distinction in the way the ships handle becomes immediatly apparent, and you only have to pay 40$ to get instant beta access to SC. Racing module comes out in two weeks.

Elite who?
>>
>>258914361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOlKYrz3t8

dat PAX trailer
>>
>>258927463
I've got my finger on the buy button on GOG.

Is this game I can jump in to completely new? Or do I need to play the first game?
>>
>>258957563
jump in completely new, don't forget the mods, they're HUGE graphical upgrades and you can get entirely new campaigns or total conversion mods like BSG.

http://www.fsoinstaller.com/downloads.html
>>
>>258956967
Wait, is it a game or not? It sounds like some drama may be going on too..

That sounds a bit off-putting.
>>
>>258957563
Don't skip the first game if you can help it. You can even play the first game's campaign in FS2.
>>
File: 1350937147444.gif (333KB, 278x200px) Image search: [Google]
1350937147444.gif
333KB, 278x200px
>>258957563
Seconding
>>258957716

Good joystick support too.
>>
File: ibuRnXUiQkQrih.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ibuRnXUiQkQrih.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>258957190
That's a lot of bullshit though.

ED goes for an incremental approach, making each feature right and interesting before moving to the next one, while SC attempts everything at once, and will take years to balance properly.

As for combat, it's a joke in SC right now. Let's not mention the shit UI, the bad sound design, the shit controls and physics, oh and all the fucking bugs.

SC won't be in a proper playable state with all planned features before some more two years. I'd rather play ED and pay extra for expansions than play a dozen disjointed SC minigames in the meantime.

Also the game isn't expensive, it's $50.
>>
I like the combat in ED more, but SC has such better fucking ships and the cockpits are way cooler it's hard to play the ED beta after because they just feel like a vans dashboard
>>
File: Elite Dangerous.webm (3MB, 1280x720px)
Elite Dangerous.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>258958337
At least they offer some visibility in ED. SC is more like the typical WC cockpits, with the reticle in the upper third of the screen, and a lot of pointless shit in the way.
>>
File: 1355031911023.gif (340KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1355031911023.gif
340KB, 500x375px
>>258957190
Oh, fuck off shill. ED shill posts less and less, but now I'm convinced he's just switched sides to being an enormous SC shill.

Star Citizen hasn't had any features since the fucking beginning, because it's still in development. They don't have FPS integrated. Multicrew is still plodding along, and all we've seen is a buggy, scripted sequence. And DLC? Keep using buzzwords more you fukkin nerd. They're expansion paks, in other words, they add significant amounts of content for a reasonable price of 40 bucks. Meanwhile, SC is selling ships for 400 dollars, and is objectively pay 2 win since the only way to unlock ships and weapons is through real money.

Currently, in Arena Commander, the Hornet (which is OP as fuck right now ever since the Omniskies got nerfed) costs ~120 bucks to use. For a single ship. A single fucking ship. To get weapons, you have to buy ludicrously expensive Microsoft Points-esque fake currency, and they cost around 15 dollars each.

Meanwhile, ED is selling their full game for $50, with an expansion per year for around $40 or so (I'm assuming). I'd rather take 90's/early 2000's expansion model over Star Citizens Micro (or would it be better to call it macro?) transactions.

But you know what? I'm looking forward to both of them. And I wouldn't recommend playing either of them early, since currently, they're both craptastic.

Fuck you.
Fuck you shill.
>>
>>258958337
I like that SC has in game joystick movement, missing your pilot's hands kind of feels like the whole "look down can't see feet" bit in most shooters.
>>
File: EliteDangerous_3Feb14_Minin.jpg (605KB, 1920x1035px) Image search: [Google]
EliteDangerous_3Feb14_Minin.jpg
605KB, 1920x1035px
I seriously don't get why people hate on ED.

It's releasing in a couple months and is looking pretty good for now. No need to lie, everyone perfectly knows we'll all be playing it when it releases.
>>
File: premium beta.png (44KB, 128x127px) Image search: [Google]
premium beta.png
44KB, 128x127px
>>258958286
>>
>>258958984
fuck yes I will, more space games the better. you can't stop the Space Renaissance because there are no brakes in space.
>>
>>258958984
better be out in a couple months, I'm through with betas, early accesses, whatever the hell they want to call it. I want a finished game.
>>
File: starcitizen.webm (2MB, 711x400px)
starcitizen.webm
2MB, 711x400px
>>258958337
I use to like SC's ships more, but then I just started noticing all the blatant design flaws in them that make them really stupid looking to me. Like "how the fuck would any sane engineer let that shit happen holy shit" levels of autistic anger towards the damn things.

Also, they fuck up their designs. Like how the 300i used to be super sexy, but CR came in and fucked up its silhouette, added tons of greeble and other shit so it looks like a junkyard ship. Or how the Hornet increased in size a fuckton compared to the Original model, and they didn't alter the design whatsoever to accommodate that, so now it has a MASSIVE cockpit. And the Mustang in general, and how it is an abortion of clusterfuck design philosophy.

ED's ships don't really inspire me, but I don't hate them. And they kinda grow on me a little bit, since they remind me of old science fiction novels. Also I prefer minimalism for my mechanical design, because artists cock it up by adding tons of shit that would break it.
>>
>>258958739
Then you'll be happy to hear both games have this functional right now. Well hand movement is a bit jerky in SC, but it'll obviously improve.
>>
>>258959474
>I just started noticing all the blatant design flaws in them that make them really stupid looking to me. Like "how the fuck would any sane engineer let that shit happen holy shit"

well you're right, that is autistic
>>
>>258959075
Wait, is that the nigga from Lostwinds? I loved that game.
>>
>>258959639
Having common sense isn't being autistic anon.
>>
>>258959474
I like super fancy implausible looking shit
Hard scifi inspired things just dont interest me
>>
>>258959792
the designs were never made to be functional in the first place, so yes it is autistic.
>>
File: elite_cockpitright.jpg (210KB, 580x320px) Image search: [Google]
elite_cockpitright.jpg
210KB, 580x320px
>>258958739
ED actually has that as well. It's part of what makes the Oculus so rad.
>>
>>258959980
well I wish they were in plain view when you're just flying. looks kind of weird just seeing your dashboard.
>>
>>258959873
Well, here's my problem with them. They're ugly, and overdesigned from an aesthetic point of view because CIG just can't not fuck up their ship designs after the fact. But in addition to that, the realism and poor engineering actually has an effect on the fucking gameplay because they simulate thrusters/the actual mechanics of the stupid things.

So what you end up with are these ships that realistically handle like dog shit and break apart like structurally brittle turds, because SC LOOOOVES talking about how much of a simulation it is, and how realistic it is, but can't even make its ships work with their own laws of realism.

tl;dr don't make ugly star wars ships and apply actual physics to them while talking about how incredibly realistic your game is, when everything is fucking broken and cosmonauts are laughing at your game designer ass.
>>
File: Lakon type 9.webm (3MB, 1280x720px)
Lakon type 9.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>258960082
Well you can adjust the height and orientation of your view to make it lower so you can see your hands while flying. Some cockpits may be better for that too.

Still, you shouldn't be seeing them unless you want the common FPS effect that has you stick your guns in your face.
>>
>>258960082
...Why? That would be retarded, anon. >"Hold on guys, instead of placing my controls in an ergonomic and easily workable spot, allow me to put them directly at eye level, so that I can look at my hands instead of what's in front of me."
Besides, I see them all the time because I actually look around. Because looking around is important.
>>
I wish there were an online Elite game like Elite Dangerous, but with the original graphics.
I can't run this shit.
>>
http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/

this place some has some decent space game podcasts depending on the topic/guest.
>>
why is everything so far away, it's terrible.
>>
>>258958715
Honestly, I'll be a bit worried if the expansions for ED cost that much. It's all well and good for the people who bought the expansion pass or will be buying each expansion as they come out and have the income to support that kind of spending, but for people getting into the game later they might not have several games' worth of cash to spend on just the one, or be willing to, regardless of the arguments for the pricing. That's not even getting into the whole mess that will be people complaining about having to pay for features that they feel should have been in the base game (planetary landings, for instance).
>>
>>258913059
>what is inertia
>>
>>258961328
>That's not even getting into the whole mess that will be people complaining about having to pay for features that they feel should have been in the base game (planetary landings, for instance).
That kind of argument always surprised me: just how many space sims have such a feature? I'm talking about freeflight in the atmosphere and manual landing, not cutscene landing like in Freelancer though.

Same applies to FPS combat, plenty people act like this should be mandatory, when it has never been, I can only count four games that did something similar, and neither is on par with what SC or ED aim to do.

To be honest, that's unprecedented, and while I'd sure rather spend the least money on it, I'm still fine with paying more than the usual game for it, because it really is well beyond what we've seen in vidya until now.
>>
File: 1407270623135.jpg (579KB, 2481x1518px) Image search: [Google]
1407270623135.jpg
579KB, 2481x1518px
>>258959873
Actually, one of the big things that CIG likes to talk about is how much thought they put into their ship designs in terms of functionality and consideration of how people would interact with them.
>In a lot of ways, we're kind of becoming real life space engineers
Yeah. They actually said that.

That would be cool and all if you just took a brief glance at the ships. But take the mustang for example. That piece of shit doesn't even give off the illusion of being functional. Or how all of these ships have completely unlivable living spaces, with no thought put into how they're going to use the space, or if they should really put the toilet right next to your head while you sleep. Oh, and hey, if you want to drop your cargo on the 300i, you can enjoy spacing your entire ship, and if you don't have a seatbelt on, I guess you can get sucked out along with your cargo, because airlocks are stupid.

Basically, CIG disagrees with you, and they think they're very realistic and well engineered, and they're centering the gameplay around that.

When I can look at your average Gundam/Ship from Gundam and be like "that makes a lot more sense than anything in SC from a realistic perspective" you've got problems, nigga.

Also, I wish we still had the old 300i.
>>
Space games and all, does anyone know where I could download Paragon?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291250/
>>
>>258962472
>hey look a cool looking space game
>early access

EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
Is Galactic Civilizations 2 good
>>
File: StarCitizen_SotA_Crossbow2.jpg (116KB, 925x700px) Image search: [Google]
StarCitizen_SotA_Crossbow2.jpg
116KB, 925x700px
>>258962145
>>258961328
No kidding. This mentality really does surprise me. No other games have been trying to blend these elements like ED and SC have, so pretending like it's to be expected is idiotic. Especially so in the case of ED, which did not originally promise these features because to do it right takes a lot of time and money, and they wanted to make a space sim first.

Not to mention many of you people don't seem to understand the engineering problems with mixing all those components together. You know how in GTA when you get on top of a moving car, you jump around a lot and clip through shit? Yeah. That shit doesn't really have a standard solution to it. SC and ED have to break new ground from a computer science perspective to even get this shit to work. CIG has talked at length about what they're TRYING (not sure if it will work in the end) to do to solve it, which is giving ships their own special bubble of physics, and it's one of the reason they don't want to do orbital mechanics because then they'd have to give all those planets special physics, too, so you don't clip through the fucking things while they're moving several thousands km/h.

I don't know how ED is doing it, but since they do have orbital mechanics, and since everything fucking rotates, I imagine that it would be a nightmare.

>But noooo. This should have been in on release :(

Bitch more. Shit like this is why SC is so far behind in development. It's not fucking easy and it postpones everythi
>>
>>258963750
I just want these games to focus on space. not planet landings, not FPS, fucking space. space is an interesting enough setting, just throw in a bunch of stellar phenomena, screwy gravity areas, and just generally wrecking havoc with the terrain of each system. not that I wouldn't mind exploring planets, but at the end of the day I want to be in space not on a planet.
>>
>>258963750
>and it's one of the reason they don't want to do orbital mechanics because then they'd have to give all those planets special physics, too, so you don't clip through the fucking things while they're moving several thousands km/h.
Movement is relative anon, and if you handle it similarily in the engine, it's fine. I mean, you've never seen a helicopter struggle to land because Earth rotates.

There are several referentials, and there's absolutely no problem with that.
>>
File: Pioneer_Barrys_Folly_2_By_DraQ.jpg (235KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Pioneer_Barrys_Folly_2_By_DraQ.jpg
235KB, 1600x900px
>>258962472
HOLD THE FUCKING PRESSES

I think I'll need time to confirm this, but it looks incredibly similar to an open source space sim I happen to be currently contributing to. I'm dead serious.

It's called Pioneer, it's actually an Elite 2 clone: http://pioneerspacesim.net/
There are many striking similarities, and that includes one I'm working on right now and that I could recognize among thousand others.

What is this bullshit?
>>
>>258964354
Which is why E:D is making just space the core game. And all the planetary landings, FPS shit are optional expansions that come in after the core game is done.
>>
>>258964442
No shit, anon. This isn't real life. Things that are easy in real life oftentimes aren't easy to simulate in a fucking videogame.
If you don't believe me, go watch the video were the lead technical director talks about how they're trying to avoid that shit.
>>258964354
Same here. I feel like they're losing focus due to the overwhelming yelling of people who don't even give a shit about space in the first place. Going to the SC forums is horrible. They don't even consider dogfighting or ship mechanics a core part of the game now because they're all furry roleplayers that have never played a space sim in their life.

I didn't want Second Life in space why is my genre revival getting hijacked ;_;
>>
>>258964992
>No shit, anon. This isn't real life. Things that are easy in real life oftentimes aren't easy to simulate in a fucking videogame.
>If you don't believe me, go watch the video were the lead technical director talks about how they're trying to avoid that shit.

Those things are very easy to handle anon. Really. They just have the wrong approach, but even Havok has been supporting this for years.
>>
>>258964804
Are there any cheats or anything to this game?
I just wanna cruise around in a fast ship
>>
File: Pioneer_Howletts_Hope_By_DraQ.jpg (204KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Pioneer_Howletts_Hope_By_DraQ.jpg
204KB, 1600x900px
>>258962472
>>258964804
Holy shit, I just checked this, Paragon is indeed a fork of Pioneer. Which means, Paragon remains an open source project.

That solves the problem, if you want this game, you only need to compile its sources, only the content remains their property, or just play Pioneer.

This also just ended my contributions to Pioneer, really. I'm not providing anything more to people who want to make money on my back.
>>
File: space engine ship.jpg (150KB, 1023x536px) Image search: [Google]
space engine ship.jpg
150KB, 1023x536px
>>258965720
Not to my knowledge, and the save system is cryptic, you won't do much with that.
The flight mechanics are quite complex to.

To be honest, you're better off with Space Engine, it has ships now.
>>
>>258965318
Not really.
http://youtu.be/wf2_9-6Fmyc?t=12m56s
That's their lead technical designer. I've seen this in most games that I've played. If you stand on top of a fast moving object, your character will typically update slower than the geometry moving underneath you, and jittering, clipping, and all other sorts of shit happen. You're thinking of something else.
http://youtu.be/wf2_9-6Fmyc?t=12m56s
>>
>>258964804
You're slow as fuck man. Both of those have been in development for over two years now.
The Paragon guy basically went "Wow, Pioneer is great. But there are some things I would do different..." and then he did exactly that.

He posts on spacesimcentral if you want to talk to him.
>>
>>258965996
We were talking about planets, not ships. That's a very different context.

Still, plenty games did this right. Their "unique solution" isn't unique.
>>
>>258966175
Well I'd say I'm pretty fast considering how quickly I noticed the similarities. I simply had never heard of Paragon before.
>>
>>258966409
What planets in games are you actually talking about that have done this? Because if by planet you "4km squared map" like most games have, that aren't actually simulating orbital mechanics whatsoever then, yeah, I guess. Or if you mean Space Engine where you can hang out as a camera, and not an actual entity I guess so.

Besides, he said that they would have to do the same thing for planets in the interview. I'm curious, though, which games are you talking about that have done this?
>>
File: reach_1860544_Full.jpg (210KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
reach_1860544_Full.jpg
210KB, 1920x1080px
>>258966849
That's precisely the point: simulating orbital mechanics doesn't require you to have everything on a planet move. You can have different contexts and coordinate systems, this is perfectly supported by many games.

As for games that "did this", I was refering to their solution for ships that creates different independant contexts. You only need to look at Halo games for proper vehicle physics, pic related: riding vehicles had been a viable technique for 13 years now.
>>
>>258967485
You don't quite understand how that works, do you? When you're "riding" on vehicles in game, what they do to get around this is make you a *part* of whatever it is that you want to ride. You're no longer your player model anymore, you've been grafted into that helicopter to serve as an organic component. For what ED and SC are doing, there will be cases when you have to *not* be a part of the ship and transition back to an independent character model. Like in the case of your ship spinning wildly out of control at speeds of 0.2c and you having to get up, run across the room, and eject.

>That's precisely the point: simulating orbital mechanics doesn't require you to have everything on a planet move. You can have different contexts and coordinate systems, this is perfectly supported by many games.

For ED, since all the planets are typically spinning, and moving at several thousands of kilometers per hour, and since they want everything to be completely seamless (like not having you go through a loading screen to a completely separate pocket dimension where rules don't apply) I wouldn't be so sure of that. Especially since the devs themselves have said that it's a challenge that they need to overcome.
>>
>>258963750
I think it's because the expectations are that, because it's a modern game being made by talented developers with a lot of money and no evil publisher lurking over their shoulder, it should have all the stuff we dreamed that games would have by now while somehow still taking about the same time to develop as any other big title. Except most people don't realise how bloody expensive these things can get in terms of time and effort and money to create. It's certainly doable, but you need to be able to pay for a lot of people to do the work and those people can't work 24/7.
I was going to try and make a point about how the fidelity of interaction in games has gone down roughly in step with the increase in visual fidelity, but it's almost five in the morning and my brain is probably shorting out, so, er, that's a thing I've noticed. It was easier to cram in features back in the "good old days" because features required, on the whole, less work. I might not even be wholly right there.
>>
File: UDK 2014-08-21 03-28-18-80.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UDK 2014-08-21 03-28-18-80.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>258968753
Look at that guy in this picture: >>258967485
He's on top of the vehicle. He's not "tied" to it, he's walking freely. This works with all vehicles in this game. You can even have a traffic cone land on someone's head, and the cone will just get stuck there.

I perfectly know what I'm talking about. You can create contexts, which is supported by any proper physics engine, and it solves all of those problems. Physics engine can create various "instances" if maybe you like it better, though the technical term is "island", and it groups objects together that are likely to interact with each other, and determines proper behavior. If the planet is moving, everything on the planet moves relative to that planet, and is thus immobile. If an object goes from outer space to the atmosphere, it changes its context, and its space coordinates are turned into planetary coordinates, and suddenly it's working fine!

Even Viscera Cleanup Detail, an indie game made on UDK, allows to fill bins with trashes and then carry said bins without having all the stuff inside clip through it. The tools are there, and it's not a problem, really.
>>
>>258970107
Ah, didn't see that guy. Although I can tell you from experience from playing Reach that the problem of lagging behind moving objects is absolutely still prevalent, although it's mitigated by going at really, really slow speeds. You will still randomly clip through them fairly often.

Anyway, don't take it from me. Take it from their seemingly incompetent (not even being sarcastic) lead technical designer.
>>
>>258960708

To you guys playing ED. There's no way to have an external facing camera for piloting is there?

As in, all the flying is purely cockpit bound right?
>>
>>258970858
Yes.
>>
Is E:D worth buying right now? Or should I just impatiently wait for release?
>>
>>258970961
It's fun for like a week, kinda, but it's super barebones.

That said, it keeps my attention for longer than AC does.

I'd say wait for release or the next large update.
>>
>>258970961

It's fun, but the entry price is kinda high. 75 bucks for preorder + beta access. Plus, you'll need a good joystick to truly enjoy the game, Oculus Rift is the cherry on top.
>>
HELP ME OUT

http://strawpoll.me/2388503

>>
>>258970961
Right now? Wait. There's going to be at least one beta update before release and that might make paying the premium more worth it, but until we see what that update might contain there's really no reason to get the beta other than to show your support.
>>
>>258971221
>>258971142
>>258971294
Alright, thanks, I'll keep waiting.
>>
Novus Aeterno when?
>>
>>258971557
>MMORTS

no thanks
>>
File: 1408510296781.png (92KB, 267x186px) Image search: [Google]
1408510296781.png
92KB, 267x186px
>>258914361
Is that really their poster?
>>
>>258971753
To each their own. I'm hyped as dick though.
>>
>>258971871
http://enemystarfighter.com/game/
>>
File: 1395122251475.jpg (157KB, 1320x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1395122251475.jpg
157KB, 1320x1169px
>Ctrl+f "wikia"
>0 results
Good job E:D shill, you're learning.
>>
Are there any space space sims that look good and play well at the moment? I want to be immersed. I have X3 AP & TC but I can't find any mods that really wow me.
>>
>>258943282
>>258944035
Wrong. It's a black hole, the only thing stopping a black hole from eating the entire universe is proximity.
>>
>>258972495
Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.
>>
>>258972495
Evochron for Newtonian physics, Freespace 2 for dogfighting, Strike Suit Zero for arcade space combat, Freelancer for immersion.
>>
>>258972642
I looked around and I can't find any good graphical mods for evochron or Freelancer, can you point me in the right direction?
>>
File: dickisdiamonds.jpg (96KB, 1615x948px) Image search: [Google]
dickisdiamonds.jpg
96KB, 1615x948px
>>258972040
I haven't been following this closely - but now my dick is diamonds
>>
>>258972820
http://www.moddb.com/games/freelancer/addons/hd-textures-12
>>
>>258972820
Freelancer really doesn't have anything in the way of graphical mods, almost all its mods are standalone, you only can get one and then move on.
>>
>>258972873
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAdOtx4ElBQ

might wanna mute the guy though
>>
>>258972885
That's not really that impressive, but thanks for the help.
>>258972938
I see.
>>
>>258972938
On that subject, Itano Circus or /v/lancer are really good for that kind of mod.
Stay the hell away from Crossfire though.
>>
>>258973120
>Stay the hell away from Crossfire though.

I hate the AI changes in that mod
>>
>>258973250
There's really nothing good about that mod, and the creator is the most pretentious fuck.
>>
File: ten out of ten textures.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ten out of ten textures.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>258973250
The mod in general is god-awful, and I struggle to understand why it's one of the top rated mods on ModDB when on average 7 people on the sever.
>>
>>258973684
Privateer had better environments than that shit
>>
>>258973684
And some are just outright ripped from Freespace, and they pretend that somehow they're original or lore-friendly.
>>
>>258973684
>>258974049
now this is a fucking good mod
>>
>>258974286
>tfw diaspora dogfighting is almost perfect
>tfw both SC and ED can't compete with a fan mod for a 15 year old game
>>
>>258974518
man, playing SC I miss Freelancer's combat. It was simple, but a few tweaks and it's so fun.
>>
>>258974667
it was pretty repetitive though
>>
>>258914336
You pull up faster than you turn or pitch down.

>>258953858
>>258950283
Dude what? It was real-time.

Something failed to go off and the camera got stuck in space the first time they tried.
>>
>>258974667
/v/lancer's combat was fun, mostly because it turned things into a super fast multidirectional laser fest.
>>
>>258974667
I know, right? It was really simple and intuitive, but had a good deal of depth to it to keep you coming back. And when Diaspora perfected the 6dof and glide, it was just great. Responsive, fast, and intense as fuck.

I feel like SC's "realism" is holding it back at this point. All the ships feel like poorly engineered pieces of shit, I have a stupid fucking IFCS constantly holding me back like a drunk overprotective mother, and the game thinks I'm too stupid to actually aim for myself so I have to use their gimballed targetting computer which NEVER FUCKING HITS ANYTHING.

I just want to go back to when space sims were all about pseudo realism and fun, instead of poorly executed realism and furry erping.
>>
>>258975325
Realism can be fun sometimes, but in this case, I went into Star Citizen looking for Freespace or Freelancer style stuff, I don't want to micromanage my non-newtonian Alcubierre drive
>>
>Look at Elite Dangerous
>Don't really like the design of the ships

Are they planning to add more ship styles or are they all going to be similar to what we have?

The Empire Courier concept art looks cool but it's implied to be an NPC only ship.
>>
>>258975325
>>258975559
they haven't even unlocked controls for ture 6 dof, not really even bothering with AC until it's in.
>>
File: gfs_45287_2_2.jpg (55KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_45287_2_2.jpg
55KB, 1024x768px
>>258925998
Escape Velocity: Nova is the tits

dunno if there's a version that works for modern Windows but I'll be damned if it doesn't still work on OSX Mavericks with zero updates
>>
>>258975559
At the same time, I'm reserving final judgement. They have been listening to feedback, and newer videos have shown better controls.
>>
>>258975559
I absolutely agree that realism can be fun. It's just that SC is mixing and matching realistic aspects with bullshit game aspects, and they don't work together, so it all gets fucked up.

It would be like if you took Star Wars and suddenly decided that you wanted that shit to be realistic, so without changing anything, you impose realism on the space wizards and death stars.

Suddenly, nothing works and everybody is dead.
>>
File: elite_dangerous_245m.jpg (208KB, 461x422px) Image search: [Google]
elite_dangerous_245m.jpg
208KB, 461x422px
For those Elite pilots just starting out and hate the slow responsiveness of your ship turning - look at the throttle bar for a few little blue marks. Those mark the speed at which your ship is the most maneuverable. Not perfect, but better than if you try to fight at full throttle.
>>
>>258976138
>It's just that SC is mixing and matching realistic aspects with bullshit game aspects
My biggest problem.
>hey guys look at our autismally simulated thruster system isn't that cool it'll be super realistic!
Awesome guys! Do you have any aerospace engineers who are familiar with making functional space-ships who can help you make the ships work?
>Don't worry! We've been watching lets plays of KSP all day!
But guys, the ships aren't stable. Chris crashes into something everytime he plays don't you think-
>SHUT UP IT HANDLES THIS WAY BECAUSE REALISM I HAVE A GAME DESIGN DEGREE FROM VIRGINIA TECH MY THRUSTER PLACEMENT IS FUCKING PERFECT SO JUST GIT GUD
>>
>>258974804
What happened to /v/lancer?
>>
>>258977881
The dev finished it and moved on to actually making games, apparently his latest one will be a spacesim.
>>
>be watching that SC demo video where they first show the flight controls
>dev is walking to his ship in the hangar
>see a warning sign on a SPACEship engine labeled 'jet intake'
>mfw
>>
>>258979283
The ships are also capable of atmospheric flight.
>>
>>258979462

yeah in 10 years when they finally implement that feature
>>
File: oh shit fuck.jpg (251KB, 642x1081px) Image search: [Google]
oh shit fuck.jpg
251KB, 642x1081px
Space is fucking scary. What could it be?
>>
>>258983194
So, it's sucking up our universe? I don't get it. Maybe it's just a universe-sized black hole?
>>
>>258983194
Probably another universe; if our universe can exist, others can too. Either that or the same issue as the BLOOP and it's just something simple we can't explain yet.
>>
>>258983194
Can we build bigger telescopes to see this, or is there something preventing us like how we can't see the beginning of the Universe?
>>
>>258983716
Thanks to the big bang, everything is moving away from the centre of the universe. The dark flow being the exception, certain parts of the universe are being attracted towards an unknown area beyond the visible universe.
>>
>>258983946
Light from that point simply hasn't reached Earth yet. Not much we can do about that.
>>
File: Jesus.jpg (9KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.jpg
9KB, 266x189px
>>258983194
Is it Jeeeeesus?
>>
>>258983194
Probably just a big fuckload of dark matter.
>>
>>258983194
Lol, that sounds like the plot for a JRPG.
>>
>>258983194
2spooky
>>
Why is Eve Onlne such shit?
>>
>>258985631
It's not. It just isn't for everyone.
>>
File: enemystarfighter.jpg (2MB, 1000x1481px) Image search: [Google]
enemystarfighter.jpg
2MB, 1000x1481px
>>258919702
I'm pretty sure that entire poster's point is to look like these cheesy 80's ones. There's that guy who's really good at them.
Have higher rez
>>
File: 1338148142030.png (6KB, 156x166px) Image search: [Google]
1338148142030.png
6KB, 156x166px
>>258914756
I'm still bummed about the entire "reveal" towards the end of the trailer.
They absolutely blew it, if they saved it for the final game, it could be Freespace 2 all over again. Now, it won't be a surprise.
>>
File: pringles.jpg (53KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
pringles.jpg
53KB, 500x439px
>>
>>258990163
That's just a cloud waiting to become a star though.
>>
>>258990410
>no matter of any kind
>become a star
And the retard of the year award goes to you.
>>
File: 5SiyNIC.gif (1MB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
5SiyNIC.gif
1MB, 260x187px
>>258990163
>>
>>258912474
Me and my best friend want to be fucking bounty hunters\pirates in Star Citizen, and we are getting MOAR powerful PCs to handle the next gen. So yeah, mah body is ready. But in my country you have to do a massive exam your last year in high school, one which takes a whole month of tests, and i turned 18 a couple of months ago, which means I'll have to take that fucking exam when Star Citizen comes out. So fuck it, I'll have to study and plow chicks all the time and go outside. I just want some vidya ffs.
>>
>>258990519
The text in the image is either old or outdated.
http://kencroswell.com/theblackcloud.html
Website looks like something from the '90s but it's just a transcription of a magazine article.
>>
>>258990941
Wrong or outdated*
>>
>>258990923
It's a good thing you'll probably be done with college by the time Star Citizen comes out then.
>>
>>258991089
In reality that means that when I'm done studying for the exam, I can't play Star Citizen because i have to move to Rome to attend an acting university. Which also means losing all my current friends.
Told ya, just want vidya ffs.
>>
File: khartu scout.webm (1MB, 640x360px)
khartu scout.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>
What about 4X in space ?
>Distant World
>Galactic Civ 3
>Endless Space
>>
When will we have Space Rangers 3 ?
>>
File: my setting.jpg (64KB, 675x466px) Image search: [Google]
my setting.jpg
64KB, 675x466px
I'm ready
>>
>>258992473
>Sins of a Solar Empire
>>
>>258958715
Every since space game thread without fail this asshole posts the same image with the same SC hating theme attacking some poor anon who posted something positive about SC.

Holy fuck he must be one assblasted ED fanboy.
>>
It's shit, only No man's sky look good.
>>
>>258994970
Literally never seen that image in context with SC.
>>
>>258949789
The Cutlass is like that.
>>
>>258998189
Yes, and if you read the post he states that he hates the Cutlass, probably because its a shit design made for pirate scum like all Drake ships.
>>
>>258992059
>trailer
>ships flying fast and following reasonable curves when turning
>actual game
>ships are slow as fuck and rotate way too fast for their mass, effectively making them flying turrets
Even Chris Roberts knows the current flying model is shit and yet he won't do anything about it.
Arena Commander completely killed my hype for this game.
>>
>>258999020
>yet he won't do anything about it.

Except outline a heap of changes for the flight model in the next patch.
>>
File: MQmLFRd.jpg (387KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MQmLFRd.jpg
387KB, 1920x1080px
>>258998189
>>258998189
Too bad the cutlass is a shitty design with fucked up proportions.
>larger than a c130
>wouldn't even know it cuz the cockpit is huge
>makes horrible use of the space it has.

Every time I look at it I think "why couldn't I have the Brutus instead"

And then I remember.

It's because Chris is an idiot and lets the community make decisions.
>>
File: ss+(2014-08-21+at+03.12.16).jpg (9KB, 257x124px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-08-21+at+03.12.16).jpg
9KB, 257x124px
>>258917653

I'm hoping that SR2 will just be SR1 but with more shit. I fucking LOVED SR1 as it was, especially with the Galactic Armory mod added on.

>Me and my friend spent over 40 hours perfecting blueprints alone for GA
>We would spend dozens of hours pitting 10v10 of ships of varying tech tiers and varying ship types against each other
>I had the best ship building ships, fighters, bombers, frigates, corvettes, and capital ships at the mid and higher tech ranges
>He had some really fucking awesome long range artillery ships that I could not for the life of me defeat with my own artillery ships no matter how many times I refined the blueprint

Man that game was fun as fuck, lackluster in diplomacy to be sure, but god damn was designing my own ships and pitting them against others awesome.
>>
>>258999435
Got a link?
>>
>>258999919
Fuck you for reminding me about the Shimapan's ship. This thing blew all the other ships in TNGS out of the water, and made CIG's ships look like trash.

And it got shafted for 3dildoes because they had a sobstory, and 4whores won with their crappy hair straightener ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEExeBzEGMM

it still hurts ;_;
>>
File: Frontier_First_Encounters_box.jpg (29KB, 355x449px) Image search: [Google]
Frontier_First_Encounters_box.jpg
29KB, 355x449px
I kind of really want to believe Braben won't fuck this up...

I really do.

But his track record sometimes makes me wonder. I had so much faith in Frontier First Encounters only to have it turn out to be a shitty half-finished buggy mess.

Till this day I wonder why all the stuff from ArcElite never got implemented into FFE - convos, police and pirates fighting, ships being towed etc. Also why the abortion of storyline that we got teased with got put in there even if it was half-baked and half finished.

I'm a bit worried that E:D will be the same as Frontier and F:FE - a giant lifeless space with really nothing to do and little to impact it.
>>
>>259000187
I think that anon is refering to the the stuff CR was talking about at Gamescom for 0.9

They are upping the ship movespeed quite a bit while adding full 6DOF control and from what I remember engine tuning (since its the patch they are adding racing to the game).
>>
File: M50_new_comp47.jpg (753KB, 3001x1699px) Image search: [Google]
M50_new_comp47.jpg
753KB, 3001x1699px
>>259000187
It's in the gamescom stream.

From what I remember;
>350r and m50
>6DoF
>Doublespeed
>engine tuning
>racing game mode
>>
>trying to get into E:D yet again
>do a trading run
>make a whopping 380 credit profit off 10 minutes of work
>it's not even enough to pay for the refueling costs
>fuck refueling let's try to build up some stacks and compound this trading
>make second run
>0.9ls from target station INTERDICTED
>try to frame shift back in
>CAN'T DO IT TOO MUCH INTERDICTION
>look who it is
>some pirate in an eagle
>he can fly circles around me
>figure out how to get some hits on him and get his shields down
>can't figure out how to see how damaged his ship is so just keep shooting getting hits in now and then
>back and forth with his shields and mine for 10-20 minutes
>get his shields down again
>about to kill him
>some NPC faggot white knight flies in and steals my kill at the last second
>i don't get any credits
>pirate didn't even drop any loot or weapons or anything
>hull is at 35%
>it will cost twice my current savings just to repair my ship
>quit and erase file for an 8th time

HOW DO I MAKE A VIABLE START? I JUST NEED A NICE 30-50k CREDITS AND I'LL BE OKAY BUT FUCKING CHRIST THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. THE DOGFIGHTING ISN'T EVEN FUN IT'S JUST TEDIOUS TURNING WAR BULLSHIT.
>>
>>259000857
>IT'S JUST TEDIOUS TURNING WAR BULLSHIT.
Learn how to use vertical and lateral thrust + the fucking sweetspot and flight assist off you fukkin scrub. You should NEVER be fucking around with a turning war because you have about 10 different ways to break that shit.

Go to LP-132-68 or whatever it is. Next to eranin. Go to unidentified signals. Keep doing that until you find tons of gold just floating there.
Pick them up. Go to freeport. Sell them. Watch out for players griefing in freeport and dock as soon as possible.

Buy hauler. Trade fish. Make 6 k or so profit per run. Buy cobra. Make twice as much. Buy lakon. Make 3 times as much. Buy type 9 after 5 years of running fish. Buy viper after deciding that trading sucks and go PVP against carebears and google your commander name to read about them bitching about you.

Turn off game, wait until next update.

Fucking. Simple.
>>
>>259000620
What's 6DOF compared to what there is now?
Now I can go forward, backward, up, down, left, right, yaw, pitch, roll.
That's like... 9DOF
>>
>>259001368
I use vertical thrust + sweet spot to sail above or below the AI while they fly straight, that's the only way I get the shields down, but inevitably I lose sight of him and he spins around like a hurricane and takes my shields down in a single pass, while it takes me 3-4 passes hitting him 10+ times each pass to get his shields down.

I put engines up when i'm turning, shift to weapons when I'm shooting, crank shields when I'm being attacked. I just don't get it.
Are there other HUD modes that can put big arrows on my screen to see where enemies are, too? The radar is really tiny and hard to see.
>>
File: 6DOF_en.jpg (61KB, 1032x683px) Image search: [Google]
6DOF_en.jpg
61KB, 1032x683px
>>259001375
>6DOF
Having all those movements available in the same mode for a unified control scheme. Currently, decoupled or coupled gimps you pretty hard and only gives you life 4 axis.
>>
>>259001375
3 rotation axis
>yaw
>pitch
>roll
3 linear axis
>strafe up and down
>strafe left and right
>throttle up and reverse

at the moment all we have is 4 in coupled mode, and 4 in decoupled mode
>>
>>259001368
>Go to unidentified signals. Keep doing that until you find tons of gold just floating there.
I asked about those in another thread and I was told to never go there because they just kill you. Bah humbug.

Anyway, I don't want to trade because that shit is seriously boring with how long it takes to dock/undock/frameshift/cruisecontrol and then most of the time it doesn't even dump you out of cruise in front of the station door so you have to fly around a big 7-sided die looking for the fucking door for 3 minutes.

I just need a ship that's maneuverable as fuck, fast as fuck, turns on a dime. I don't care if its hull is made of paper and it shoots spitballs, I just want a proper high-speed interceptor.
>>
>>259001585
>Are there other HUD modes that can put big arrows on my screen to see where enemies are, too? The radar is really tiny and hard to see.
No, thank god. Are you using head-look mode to look out of your windows when you lose site of them? Cuz that's super important, otherwise you won't be able to turn into them cuz you won't know where they're going. You're having a turning war because it sounds like you're always turning into where they are, not where they're going.

But if you look right at them through your skylight, you can easily head them off. I mean, I know what you mean. It took me awhile to get used to it.
>>
>>259001921
You want the viper. Those signals won't kill you if you're smart enough to run away when 5 cobras jump out instead of free gold.

Get gold. Get viper. Get more gold. Buy 4 cannons (not multi-cannons). Be fastest ship in the game at 500m/s with god tier maneuverability.

win all of your fights, make anaconda owners cry. Keep enough creds for insurance.
>>
>>259001941
I can't head-look because my hotas doesn't have enough buttons. I can't reach the keyboard on my setup so I have to bind everything useful to the hotas that I can and do without the rest.

As it is I have to use buttons awkwardly placed around the throttle for lateral/vertical control because strafing with the hat felt too janky.
I got energy transfer to weapons and shields spread out all over my shit just wherever I could fit it.

I'd need an oculus rift to be able to look around, but that's not going to be out for another year or two. It'd also be nice if there was aim assist like any other space sim or, you know, actual fighter jets that swivels the guns within a narrow angle of your forward arc when you're close enough.
Having to pinpoint shit is really frustrating honestly.
>>
>>259002195
How do I frame shift when I'm jumped? I tried but it just said I was going to explode if I tried.
I tried putting engines to max and spamming boost over and over again, but I can't figure out how to do a sustained boost-burn, and putting my shit into newtonian mode and burning doesn't seem to let you build up speed indefinitely which is also kinda bullshit.

Fuck, I miss Evochron. Sure it'd take me 20 minutes to decelerate sometimes, but at least I could get away when I had to.
>>
>>259002343
I can't think of many other space sims that had a heavy emphasis on aim assist. Freespace 2 didn't.

But you do. Get gimballed weapons, because those are exactly what you want. Minimal aiming required. Just point your ship in the direction you want and they'll like hit it for you. However, they will be 1 tier less powerful than non-gimballed counterparts. And you will get rekt by people who know how to use non [G] cannons.

What Hotas do you have? Does it have any sort of analogue stick on it? If you live in England you can order an ED tracker for like 25 quid that will take care of all of your headtracking needs forever, or you can make one yourself for 10 bucks if you have a soldering iron. Look it up.

>>259002523
You have to wait for it to cool down. Typically like 30 seconds or so. To keep the boost speed, you just turn flight assist off. In a viper, this makes you literally uncatchable because you just boost away at 500m/s, so by all rights you should never, ever die.
>>
File: 1363314876839.jpg (584KB, 740x740px) Image search: [Google]
1363314876839.jpg
584KB, 740x740px
>>258912474
75$ omfg
>>
>>259000760
>>259000620
>no mention of reducing maneuvering thrusters' strength
So now we'll have fast flying turrets instead of slow flying turrets.
Well, that's better than nothing I guess.
>>
>>259002939
How do I into Unknown Signal Source?
>drop out of supercruise within 200km of one
>nothing there
>lock one and drop out <20km of one
>"dropping out at current destination because what you locked isn't locked"
>nothing there
I don't understand.

Gimballed weapons would be nice. Projectile weapons would also be nice. Anything with a travel time. It's easier to lead shots than hitscan IMO, but that's just what I'm used to.

I'm not in England, but I'll look into this ED tracker and see what my options are. Sounds handy to say the least.
>>
>>259004034
You might be going too fast. <1000km/s? Or I dunno, you might be fucking up and locking something. You do actually target the thing, right? Because it will be all life "safe to disengage" if so.

Projectile weapons are actually really, really fucking hard to hit with, because ships are small, distances are like 1-3km typically, and they can move in weird vectors since 6dof. The 4 cannon build on a viper works because you're so fast that you can get right on top of them and blow their fucking heads off with a single one or two bursts. That said, projectiles are practically useless against other vipers since they're so fast and nimble that you can pretty much dodge them forever
>tfw getting shot at by like ten thousand station guns
>stafe up
>they all go under me
>strafe left
>They all go to the right of me
Made me feel like a goddamn newtype or something.
>>
>>259004685
Yeah, figured it out.
It was a sidewinder pirate that kicked my ass.
I see him flip his ship around from facing directly away from me to directly facing me in under 3 seconds. How in the fuck do I do that?
Even with lateral/vertical thrusters + sweet spot it takes my 9 seconds to about-face.

Half the time when I turn to face my enemy, he's already passing me and done with his strafing run. I just don't understand this really bizarre flight model.
>>
>>259004935
Are you using boost at all for maneuvering? It puts your maneuvering to max, basically, in addition to making you go sanic speeds. If you want to quickly change where you're facing, FA+boost (then turn FA back when you're pointing where you want to otherwise you'll spin out of fucking control). Like, I dunno. I used to have a lot of trouble with the A.I's, and it's hard to explain exactly how I figured the flight model out. But now they don't even give me trouble whatsoever. Also, don't feel obligated to fight whatever is at the unknown signal. If there's no gold, just leave and go to the next one. It's boring, but getting out of the sidewinder is a must.
>>
File: 3e7c14d20d[1].jpg (11KB, 254x110px) Image search: [Google]
3e7c14d20d[1].jpg
11KB, 254x110px
>>258999951
>tfw no friends to play it with
I guess it's for the best

I also literally just now found out Star Ruler 2 is early access http://store.steampowered.com/app/282590/. Should I do it?
>>
>>259005597

I dunno man...I like Blind Mind Studios and all, but I have no clue what state SR2 is in.
>>
>>259005687

Though it might be worth it to see if there is going to be a Galactic Armory 2, gonna check the forum to see what is going on.
>>
>>259005337
Just tried with the boosting and actually got my first kill. Very counter-intuitive IMO because forward inertia should retard imparted angular momentum, but it works so whatever.

Still disappointed that the guy didn't drop any loot.
>>
File: 0be3012e26[1].jpg (13KB, 422x106px) Image search: [Google]
0be3012e26[1].jpg
13KB, 422x106px
Watched a bit of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0HUdrVMOs and the game looks incredibly solid so I bought it
>>
>>259005890
>>259005337
And then immediately got jumped by an Eagle that called me a criminal and destroyed me.
I don't understand this game, I just don't.
Tried three more unidentified signals, and they were all pirates, too.

Is there a particular system where there's just lots of gold flying around, or is this a low chance? Because this shit is feeling borderline sisyphean.

Also just to clarify:
>interdicted by a pirate
>tells me over the comm "give me your cargo or die"
>immediately blast on him like crazy
>get a 50cr reward for killing the pirate
>ALSO get branded a criminal by the people who paid me

How? Why? Who? Is this some UK shit where I have to allow someone to shoot me before I'm legally allowed to defend myself?
>>
>>259006518
This game is seriously just designed to fucking troll you.
>see a mission in azelstan city to transport one unit of fabric 1 system away
>it only pays a measly 1200cr but whatever i'm fucking poor
>leave the station
>STOLEN GOODS DETECTED JUDGE DREDD ACTIVATED
>dead

What the absolute fucking fuck.
>>
>>259006425

Make a thread about whether it's good or bad later. I'm genuinely interested.
>>
Will Elite:Dangerous scratch my space Jew itch like Terran Conflict?
>>
>>259009741
SPACE GOYIM KNOWS
>>
You know, I've played E:D, and I've played what little there is of SC; and you know whay I want and what neither of them are?

Freespace 3. I want fucking Freespace 3. I want Volition's Freespace 3. They can call it Freespace: The Third, if they want. I don't care.

Give me shivans, damnit.
>>
Is Elite : Dangerous beta worth playing?
I know I'm gonna buy the game, so should I just wait for the release or would I have fun playing the beta?
>>
>>259010821
Oh well I hadn't seen this post :
>>258934389
>>
File: 2014-08-21_00002.jpg (350KB, 1920x1028px) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-21_00002.jpg
350KB, 1920x1028px
>>259009282
I really love the planet upgrade system so far:

Planets produce things, Water, food or level 1,2,3(4 if it exists) resources. To become a level 1 planet, it needs food and water and a planet needs to be the same level as its resource to produce said resource so you have to make lines of export to maximize your planets
>>
>>259012380

Yea I remember reading about that in an old dev blog post they made, it seemed iffy at the time but they wanted to encourage your planets actually feeling like a cohesive whole and being interdependent on each other, which SR 1 didn't really do a good job of... well unless you were like me and liked to make rampant use of trade ports so that I could maximize production until I could get my mobile constructor/mining fleet made which made my planets woefully obsolete.
>>
>>259012848

I am finding myself wanting to play SR again...

I wonder if I remembered to bring my ship blueprints over when I reformatted?
>>
Damn you guys, you made me want to play space sims again.
>ED costs 200$ and is pre-alpha
>SC will never be released

I might just have to reinstall Freespace and Freespace 2.
Any HD mods for those or something?
>>
>>259013475

Ohhh shit, an old prototype for my Vanir Mothership!
>>
>>259013617

...Why did I make this thing?

Ohhh right, there was a thing in SR that you could actually make ships whose sole purpose was to be scavenged after dieing, they would yield more metal dead than they cost to build.
>>
>>259013793

Forgot my pic.

The Vanir was by no means meant to be scrapped, it was quite expensive and highly valuable. Granted a single Vanir could make 9 more Vanirs by the time my best planet got done with 4 Vanirs.
>>
>>259013475

...Apparently I didn't bring my blueprints over.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
>>
File: 1405447417903.jpg (131KB, 840x587px) Image search: [Google]
1405447417903.jpg
131KB, 840x587px
>>258999020
Might have something to do with the fact that AC ships are limited to 200m/s because of the map size.
>>
File: 2014-08-21_00003.jpg (296KB, 1920x1028px) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-21_00003.jpg
296KB, 1920x1028px
It seems you can no longer blow up galaxy cores at will
>>
E:D is seriously fucking painful to play.

Options to make money:
1. Hunt pirates at 50cr a pop / 500 credits every 10-20 minutes.
2. Haul goods back and forth for ~500 credits every 10-20 minutes until you can upgrade to a ship that can haul more shit.
3. Go to a system and fly back and forth for an hour or two until you find gold just fucking floating in space, then pick it up and sell it for 20,000cr, but 9/10 times you'll just find pirates and if you delay for more than a second escaping they'll fire an unholy barrage of gundam-style swarm missiles that shred you in an instant from every direction.

Is it too much to fucking ask to have some nice, efficient and FAST money-making methods from the start that aren't risky as fuck? I just want to make lots of money, get a good ship and THEN start fighting. Playing at a disadvantage isn't really playing, more like being bullied.
>>
>>259016261
Keep in mind the cheapest ship costs 16,000cr
>>
>>259013562
Look up FS2Open. It's a massive engine overhaul that lets you use the massive visual upgrade mods the community has put out.
Also E:D is now $75 and will be $50 on release. SC is actually starting to become a game now.

>>259016261
Check the bulletin boards for light cargo runs that pay between 2-3k credits each, sometimes more. You can also check out nav beacons for pirates that often have bounties in the 1000+ range.
Once you get some decent cargo space, you can start making money at a less painstaking pace.
>>
I want a space game where I'm in a cockpit like OP's pic and I'm just exploring space and planets with the standard missions and explorations and battles of course. Just want to comfily explore in my claustrophobic ship.
>>
>>258912474
>Elite Dangerous
>Go to site
>Game is $75 for beta

Is this a fucking joke?
>>
>>259018261
>Check the bulletin boards for light cargo runs that pay between 2-3k credits each, sometimes more.
I did that. 1 unit of textiles for 1200cr.
I got blasted to bits for possession of stolen property before I could even raise my landing gear.
>>
>>259018582
Evochron Mercenary.
>>
>>259018865
It's crowdfunded anon, and considering they didn't go down the P2W road, they made beta and alpha access the highest tier rewards.
>>
>>258914361
This looks fucking amazing, I can't wait for this one
>>
>>259019220
I've never had that happen to me and I did plenty of those missions starting out. File a bug ticket and try another one, maybe check the mission description to make sure it doesn't say "This shit is illegal, yo. Don't get scanned."
They can pay more than that, and they can pay less. They'll always pay massively over the odds for whatever you're taking, though, so it's more profitable than trading.
>>
>>259018865
>Go check
>It's 60€
Europe getting fucked again
>>
>>259024124
Except you'd paying for currency exchange, and it would cost you more than that in the end.
>>
>>258912837
I know that feel bro
>>
Any games with capital ships and fleet actions?

Really want to do a massive space navy fight
>>
shit this is still up?
>>
>>258923582
>dat UI

as an oolite and original elite fag, this UI is of giving me the boner...
>>
>>258913059
>And why doesn't the ship yaw as fast as it pitches?
Game design. It's done on purpose so you get the feeling of flying an aircraft, not a spaceship.
>>
>>258912474
>I've been playing Elite Dangerous
Is it anywhere like Freelancer? Can I land on planets?
>>
>>259024964
It's actually done to make it have interesting combat, and not just make it a 6DOF FPS. If yaw was better, you could just turn and aim freely like in Freelancer. Instead, you have to tame your ship's thrusters and come up with actual manoeuver, just following an enemy requires following his rolling, otherwise he can just roll to the side and pitch to escape you.

It was needed to be honest, space combat itself just makes no fucking sense from countless perspectives, and they had to make it less realistic and more interesting.
>>
>>259024629
eve online.
But it will get boring after some time.

Since each side wants to win they will use the most efficient way to fight - concentrate all fire on a single ship. It's nothing like star wars where everyone shoots whatever he wants.
>>
>>259025350
Then why is Star Citizen fun?
Don't call it a space sim if it isn't one.
>>
>>259024971
Sort of, but there's no meaningful exploration. Just waypoints with either space stations or pirates at them.
No. You're welded to your cockpit.
>>
>>258912474
how much like the old elite is it? /vr/fag here legitimately interested...
>>
>>259025457
"Space Sim" is shorthand for "What Space Would Be Like If It Were Actually Fun Simulator"
>>
>>259025721
>You're welded to your cockpit.
Well shit. Still gonna give a try, but I don't expect much anymore
>>
>>259025457
In the current state it's less fun than Wings of St Nazaire mentioned above in this thread.

The only thing that makes it somehow interesting is the presence of obstacles, but that doesn't work in open space.
>>
>>259025856
yeah....this

orbiter is the only "space sim" I've played that lives up to its name as a sim...and it requires 16 hours of training to use and is boring as dick unless you legitimately love learning physics. Srsly, I wrote a program to calculate launch azimuth just to make plane changes less of a hassle...THAT's a fucking sim...
>>
File: planetaryLanding_2.jpg (658KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
planetaryLanding_2.jpg
658KB, 1920x1080px
>>259025721
Well you're stuck in your cockpit for now, planetary landing and FPS movement are to come in expansions. That'll take some 2 years at the very least, but it'll come.
>>
>>259025856
>>259026107
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_flight_simulator_game#Space_trading_and_combat_game
This is what's being referred to with Space Sim in regard to video games.
Thread posts: 428
Thread images: 97

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.