[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is a good scare? faggots keep saying "all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 517
Thread images: 91

What exactly is a good scare?

faggots keep saying "all jump scares are bad"

then what is the alternative? like..creepy shit like the random faces appearing in exorcist? without sound?

what the hell other kinds of scares even are there?

goddamn autistic /v/
>>
>>258892052
First jumpscare I saw in a while was in P.T and big part of it was there as no fucking music leading up to it that peaks and basically acts as a countdown to the scare, as is normal in games/films these days.

Seriously, who thought big suspense building music was a good idea to lead up to a jump scare, because it being perfectly timed is basically saying HERE IS THE SCARE BRACE YOURSELVES.
>>
Feelings of anxiety and despair. Doesn't matter what kind of scare, as long as it gives you said feelings. Naturally, that varies between people, so that's why some shit on X type scare and others on Y type scare.
>>
File: 8uQQn[1].jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
8uQQn[1].jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
I think "jump scare" is a bit of an oxymoron, since scares are, at least to my knowledge, abrubt by nature. I think there is a higher form of horror than just throwing scares at the player/audience, as in creating an atmosphere of fear that sticks with you through the entire experience, which may or may not include scares.
>>
>>258892052
Take your pic for example. 5NAF would still be plenty scary if the robots didn't all pop up and make that fucking SCREEEE sound when they grab you.

Let's say you run out of power. Same thing happens as in the regular game up to a point. Toredores starts playing, you see the eyes, then everything goes dark and quiet. All you can hear are occasional footsteps and Freddy's "dum dee dum". Then a robot or two walks in and grabs you. Hell, they could even still pop up if they want, but instead of the camera just going to static, how about showing you getting dragged off and/or shoved into a suit. Maybe something gory like the stroggification in Quake 4.
>>
About FN@F, it was actually good at building atmosphere. But five nights wears on the gimmick pretty quick. It's either having multiple nights or having jack shit in content. At least you can dick around with the bot AI at the end so there's some replay value (in a game sense)

In a general sense atmosphere > "jump scares", but it's more of whether you want the feeling to be immediate or to wear on you slowly over time.
>>
File: 1403920350883.png (796KB, 457x443px) Image search: [Google]
1403920350883.png
796KB, 457x443px
>>258892052
thats nice.

where the vore at?
>>
So there are good jumpscares that involve atmosphere, okay then where does it go from there? Cause the best scares are still jumpscares, they just had good buildup, how can you just have eerie atmosphere that goes nowhere?

The jumpscare is like the punchline.
>>
>Playing Silent Hill 2
>Walking into restroom
>Notice one of the restroom stalls are closed
>Talk to door
>"There's no on in here"
>Walk off, nothing happens

>Second play through
>Do the same thing
>Walk away
>A huge scream and a sound of someone banging the restroom door occurs

It scared me.
>>
>>258894364
But that's not scary, it's just a visual of what is implied.
>>258892052
Suspense and surprise. It's 4chan arguing for the sake of arguing. Fear is subjective and thus no definite answer.
>>
Just lots of tension, suspense and atmosphere building is good. Even better if there's no climax to it and it's just left hanging.
>>
>>258895047
>But that's not scary,

The SCRREEEE and pop up isn't very scary either. It's just startling. You could play any loud noise after a sudden relative quiet and achieve the same effect.
>>
>>258892052
The tone/atmosphere leading up to the scare needs to be consistent with the rest of the game. If the whole game has been action-oriented, then when things get peaceful you know there is going to be a scare.
>>
Was anyone truly scared when playing Silent Hill games? Or were they just "omg this is kinda spooky", and then went on to rave about it because it was a good experience, and just claiming that it was scary on some level?

Only time I remember getting scared was silent hill 4, when I looked out the window and a bunny head just randomly floats by the window, there was no sound but it was a jumpscare because there was no reason to see it coming, and I remember that more than pretty much anything in the whole silent hill series.
>>
>>258895195
And you are entirely right, the sound is just another cue for alarm.
>>
>>258892052
The best scares come from making you feel comfortable.
>playing re2
>enter the two-way mirror rooms plenty of times
>both sides are clear of enemies
>eventually gain acess to an item on the side with the reflective mirror(can't see what's on the other side)
>fucking licker pops out of the mirror and wrecks me
>>
The Penumbra games from the developer behind amnesia are fucking good. The first one relies on a really shitty combat system a little too much but other than that they're damn good. I personally was massively disappointed by amnesia. Didn't find it scary at all as it was pretty obvious when anything at all scary was about to happen.
>>
File: arachnophobia.jpg (244KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
arachnophobia.jpg
244KB, 1600x900px
>>258892052
Things can be scary without jumping out at you. Know when that asshole friend sneaks up on you and goes boo? that's a cheap scare anyone can do.

Pic related creeped me out when I first saw it
>>
>>258895429
oh hell yeah
the body falling in the other school in SH1
The random stomp noises in the other hospital in SH1
The manequinn scene in SH3, i was like OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK
the prison bath room stomp scene in sh2
a lot of moments
>>
>>258892052

1. Things far off or in the background that you notice and it makes you spooked. (Whenyouseeit.jpg)

2. Static jump-scares. As in, you climb up a ladder, and ohfuckshesstandingatthetop. Not bullshit jump scares where they jump out at you. That's just cheap scares.
>>
Jump scares are a brief moment of fear followed by limitless being-mad for me. It's like fear-rape.

When a game/movie/story sucks you in with an unsettling mood and keeps you on-edge the whole time, that's awesome. Fear-foreplay. Every story gets one jump-scare and it needs to earn it. Otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time.
>>
Having a game being called scary for having a jump scare is like saying a person is funny because they can bend over and fart. Anyone can do it.
>>
>>258892052
Nothing wrong with jumpscares it's just the way they're overused.

>walk into dark room
>creepy face appears and screams.

versus.

>walk into dark room
>Hear ambient sounds
>keep walking into more creepy shit
>leave room
>suddenly creepy face appears from the back, makes it's way to the camera and screams.

It's about the effort to scare you rather than just scaring you.
>>
>>258892052
>>258893902

jesus christ, /v/ doesn't even know what being scared is
i guess this is what happens when people think horror is shit like paranormal activity
>>
>>258898362
What is Cry of Fear?
>>
>>258892052
Scary games are difficult to make, but Jump scares arent scary. They make you jump, not scared. You shouldnt be making horror games if you cant make horror.

One good tactic I know to scare people is to put them under tension, a lot of tension. Have a character following you, and you need to perform some kind of action thats very clunky and fidgety. So for example, you got this big guy coming for you. You need to lock to the door, you can see him getting closer, you try to pull up the lock but it slips down. He's getting far too close. Its that last second type thing thats really scary.

A good example Im sure we've all experienced. Swimming through shark waters onto a boat. Theres so much of that last second tension, and its pretty terrifying
>>
Jumpscares alone aren't what make a horror game scary, and they don't make a horror game bad. I think that FN@F is an excellent horror game because of the sense of unease and paranoia you get throughout, trying to AVOID the jumpscares.

The jumpscares are punishment for losing. You never get them for no reason. They're only there to facilitate the fear and tension in the rest of the game.
>>
>>258899137
>A good example Im sure we've all experienced. Swimming through shark waters onto a boat.
>we've all experienced
Experienced in a game?
>>
Why not use a wooden door then?
>>
>>258899326
Far cry 3 is the only one I can think of on the top of my head. GTA V does it as well I think, and those arent even horror
>>
The only people who complain about jump scares are the pussies who are looking for an excuse to not play a spooky game. If it wouldn't be jump scares, they'd have a different excuse to not play
>>
>>258899468
The way he said it, it almost sounded like he had experienced swimming through shark infested waters, and assumed most people had done the same.
>>
File: eb2959b72ed8c4e4d36a2345b1ca5e2b.jpg (249KB, 1019x1300px) Image search: [Google]
eb2959b72ed8c4e4d36a2345b1ca5e2b.jpg
249KB, 1019x1300px
>>258894601
>Asking for vore
>In a game about being crammed through wiring.

You're a dumbass.
>>
>>258899468
Banjo-kazooie. Though it's not a boat. Scary as fuck.
>>
There are times when Nemesis on RE3 just jumps out of a window out of nowhere to fight you. Thats an actual good jump scare because there was no JUMP SCARE MUSIC but most important because by then you alrready are afraid of Nemesis. Later on you hear he banging in a door then he says STARS and just leaves, you shit yourself because you know he found a way to get to you
>>
>>258899137
If a game has a jump scare, you can't write it off as a bad horror game. And the thinking causing the jump scare could be horrific.
>>
The scare of impending doom. Knowing you're solemnly fucked and not being able to do anything about it.

Pretty much the key element of every successful survival horror game out there. Being constantly on edge because you know you'll die eventually, but you don't know at which corner.
>>
>>258892052
Jumpscares are good in moderation. When a game relies only on jump scares, that's when it sucks though. Real scary is when you expect the jump, but it never happens, leaving you tense and on edge.
>>
File: 1401561152784.png (6KB, 292x346px) Image search: [Google]
1401561152784.png
6KB, 292x346px
>>258899686
well that just depends on the art made for it.

knot my fault you hate it.
>>
>>258899742
>A jump scare
No, that doesnt make it a bad game, as long as thats not the primary mechanic that it uses to make it scary

>>258899713
Well exactly, it can be just anything that gives you just seconds to get away, especially if the ways of getting away are clunky and fidgety
>>
Jump scares need to be built off of tension
Tension is what makes a game good
Name the best part of Dead Space 2, most people would say the return to the Ishimura. Why? Because you're walking through empty halls that you've been through before, waiting for something to come out, you go through most of the ship before you even encounter an enemy. But you get the feeling that they're somewhere in there.

Modern horror games don't understand tension, they think that all they need to do is throw something at you from a closet and all of the sudden you're scared.
Five nights does it well, because it builds up this tension of watching the enemies, and the jump scare comes from the culmination of everything.
Slender does it poorly, because it's just LOL SPOOPY SCARE out of nowhere.
>>
>>258894601
*gore
I was honestly hoping that there would be more art of the security guard getting forced into a suit and having his eyeballs pop out the front. Or Foxy bitting some little shit's head off during the Bite of '87
>>
>>258899815
You know it's funny that while Five Nights at Freddy's has jump scares, it's more unnerving to know that they are moving your way but you can't anticipate how quickly. Foxy is a wonderful feature because you have to watch him but not too much and he'll come charging. His scare isn't so much of a jump scare though as knowing you fucked up.
>>
>>258899960
>Knot

furry pls.
>>
This guy is mad as fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0AFqLV7tYM
>>
>>258900043
The thing I personally hated about five nights is the movement of the characters at the end, when they kill you. They start off with very slow, mechanical and unnatural movements, like an old machine should be. By the end, they are moving too human like, all springy and smooth. It doesnt fit the theme for me, they feel too alive, which just ruins it for me.

If the character just slowly inched into the room, staring at you, and then just knocked you out with a thud, that'd be much more freaky that a quick and fluent jump
>>
File: 1407003375938.png (7KB, 191x234px) Image search: [Google]
1407003375938.png
7KB, 191x234px
>>258900187
>>
>>258892052
one good way to be scary is to take all of the power away from the player. a run and hide scenario with an unkillable mosnter can be terrifying without having any jump at all. being hunted or chased is scary as fuck if you do it right.
>>
>like..creepy shit like the random faces appearing in exorcist? without sound?

Considering that the Exorcist is the greatest horror film of all time, yes. Hell, even The Shining did that equally as good. You don't need a loud scream to make people scared, a silent but quick flash at something disturbing is much more scary than any screamer or jump scare ever.

Video games can easily the same things as this, but they refuse to for no reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD0RJ_iuBPo
>>
File: 22.jpg (78KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
78KB, 720x540px
Just something unexpected.

For example, while not really a scary game, when you're just doing a seemingly calm swim level in Alice...a giant fuckin fish out of nowhere with a loud noise to accompany it..that's a pretty good scare, nothing to really make you scream..but a good startle.
>>
someone needs to make a FN@F mod or something

when the game was first described to me I pictured a 3D game where you move around and shit, I was so pumped

I'm assuming no horror survival games exist like this?
>>
>>258894940
Games that save shit for second/third/fourth playthroughs are the best.
>>
>>258900342
>Open video
>keep advancing it by about 30 seconds
>"Jumpscare"
>"Jumpscare"
>"Jumpscare.."

This guy is REALLY afraid of jump scares.
>>
>>258900580
Well I see jump scares as a release of tension, so that's why a mix of what you are talking about and the eventual release are important together. It's like a coiled snake.
>>
>>258900527
Once again though, like jump scares, that cannot be the primary scare mechanic. Having it in the game, like jump scares, is great, but if the game is classed as horror for that mechanic alone, its unlikely to get many scares, out of me at least. (Not implying Im a braver person than most)
>>
>>258900580
giant face in SH4 was pretty spooky, people always talk about that one
>>
>>258892052
Dead Space imo did good scares well. The spooky thing in that game was not the jumpscares, which did exist and sometimes popped up, but the overall ambiance and situation around you.

Throughout the entirety of the game you can hear these ambient noises, like Necros crawling through walls, whispers, screams in the distance and a bunch of other shit, setting up a real nice spooky mood when coupled with the blood and the writing on the walls of the ship.

Scares in that game also come from shadows or hallucinations, which makes you wonder 'shit is that thing real or am I gonna waste my already shitty resources?'

I don't think you could say Dead Space was the SCARIESTGAMEOMG but it was a good contender if you set the sound up high and listened to everything the game had to offer.
>>
>>258900801
No, he's bitching about them the whole time.
>>
>>258899960

Hows it feel being a retard
>>
>>258901157
I know, he's that afraid of getting jumpscared that he's going to spend the whole time bitching about it
>>
>>258901021
There was also the bag in RE4. More people talked about that bag than the spooky face regenerator right around the corner from it.

Sadly, this is a rare thing for games to do... I just don't understand why.
>>
>>258892052
Outlast is alot better, it's alot scarier. This game is good but it isn't the best in years get that shit out of here.
>>
>>258901063
I have Dead Space 1 and 2 on my backlog and I'm so excited to play them, might even start tonight.
>>
File: 1395239691109.jpg (263KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1395239691109.jpg
263KB, 960x1280px
>>258901227
pretty arousing.
>>
>>258901063
This. I think Dead Space was a damn good combination of scary and exciting

When your game is just the anticipation of jump scares it's shit
>>
File: 1408483891594.png (699KB, 1075x673px) Image search: [Google]
1408483891594.png
699KB, 1075x673px
>>258900154
I like how no matter what letting Foxy out is a punishment, even if you slam the door on him, there is extra energy drain for the failure.
>>
Take Dead Space 1 for an example. People who didn't play it say it's a carnival haunted house with nothing but jumpscares, but those who played it know the feeling of dread and paranoia that entering a new place gave.

Also, what other kind of scare there is? Look at this little gem in Dead Space 1. It doesn't attack you, it doesn't harm you in any way, it doesn't even jump at you.

And yet ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lxqgd4-Q8E
>>
>Creepy images of the monsters just staring at you
>You have to track their movements and watch as they slowly get closer and closer to you
>You have limited power, so your only defense against them is finite.
>Only when you die do you get a screamer, or 'jump scare'
>HURR THIS GAME IS NOTHING BUT JUMP SCARES.
>>
>>258901063
In my opinion Dead Space is the best new IP of the last gen, and 1 and 2 are the best action horror games made.
>>
The proper way to do jumpscares is to limit them. That's it.

One or two good jump scares at the beginning of the game will knock the player off guard, and from then on everytime they hear an extra footstep, or barely see something out of the corner of their eye they'll get scared on their own. Jump scares are great to help establish an atmosphere, but can't be the primary mechanic of the game.
>>
>>258901529
>Playing dead space 1
>Going down a hallway
>No sound que
>No creepy music
>No bodies passed
>Nothing our of the ordinary
>I- I better check behind me, just incase..

Fuck that game.
>>
File: 1391868019245.gif (125KB, 201x240px) Image search: [Google]
1391868019245.gif
125KB, 201x240px
>>258900123
I would like to see some gore also.
>>
>>258901557
You have to admit that without the jumpscares the game would be so much better.

Like once the animatronics appear inside the room and you see them the game cuts to black and then goes to the game over screen.

It'd be much creepier and less heart attack inducing.
>>
File: ThingPoster[1].jpg (23KB, 223x350px) Image search: [Google]
ThingPoster[1].jpg
23KB, 223x350px
Jump scares DO make shitty horror.

If you want a film example of amazing tension building / horror moments look at a movie like The Thing. It arguably has just one jump scare that is so well done and integral to the context of the scene that it's passable though.

If you want a video game example of horror without jump scares you can look at System Shock.
>>
>>258898535
Horror should have things you are generally scared of instead of cheap scares, something with actual subctance and alot of work put into it. Like outlast, which is a way better horror game.
>>
>>258901557
Well thats because thats really what the core horror mechanic is. Take out the jump scares and its a freaky game but isnt really scary. I mean with them in it isnt scary, it just makes you jump
>>
>>258900527
>one good way to be scary is to take all of the power away from the player. a run and hide scenario with an unkillable mosnter can be terrifying without having any jump at all. being hunted or chased is scary as fuck if you do it right.

I almost completely disagree. Introducing an unkillable monster in a game of killable monsters can be a good mechanic, because you have a point of comparison - this is the one you can't kill, and if you can't kill it, that implies it's here to completely fuck your shit up.

If the entire game is Amnesia-tier run from the spooky walking game over screen, it completely takes everything out of the game for me. I feel very aware that I'm playing a videogame with a game over mechanic should I fail to move to the designated hiding point or what-have-you in order to escape the monster. Player agency is important, and neutering that player agency to give a feeling of impotency in the face of a new threat is a great way to inject fear into the player.
>>
>>258901529
The best thing about Dead Space was that even though that guy was dead, you'd second guess it because he could turn into a necromorph at any second

Shit was great
>>
>>258892052
For example, sneaking around a house where a being is actively searching for you. If you get caught, it's game over.

If it's done right, not a single jump scare is required.
>>
>>258895429
The mirror in SH3. That was probably the most terrified I've ever been of a work of fiction.
>>
>>258901842
>Bawww I hate loud noises

Fuck off pussy
>>
The most spooked I have ever been was a survival horror game on the original xbox, you were in a haunted prison or something and there were creatures with blades for arms and shit that did this really unsettling crawling animation

I can't remember the name, I think I've mostly blocked it from my memory
But I don't recall that many jump scares, it was more genuinely unsettling stuff, and just barely seeing things out of the corner of your eye.
>>
>>258901871
...Ain't Outlast 90% jumpscares though? It has the atmosphere inbetween to rile your pulse up... and then.... JUMPSCARE!
>>
>>258901842
As I also said to someone, dont you find their movement kind of annoying. These are supposed to be old, clunky machines, and they act and sound like that, until they get you, at which point suddenly they become all loose and springy and smooth, like a human would move.
Its like, they are supposed to move like a slower, more sinister C3PO. Imagine C3PO moving like a human, without those stiff joints, it wouldnt produce the same, roboty effect
>>
>>258901889
False, the fact that your doom is impending from the start of the game is the core horror mechanic.
>>
>>258901846
There are jump scares in The Thing though. Granted it's an awesome movie, they are still there. The defib scene is one that I can immediately thing of.
>>
>>258897015
Playing off the primal, subconscious fear of things that might be poisonous isn't any more clever than jump scares. Especially when you encounter one that's big enough to kill and/or eat you (or your avatar).
>>
This is an example of a proper jump scare.
>>
>>258901302
It takes good design to pull those kinds of things off more than once, and it also takes context to do it often.

Silent Hill gets away with it due to The Otherworld, meaning weird, creepy yet fascinating shit can appear there and you can feel conflicting emotions of fascination and terror by looking at the crazy shit you find in the environment.

Finding things like the bag in RE4 that is too small to be an adult human, and writhes around like crazy until you shoot it, with no real explanation as to what the cock that was - those come out of seemingly nowhere and aren't fully explained or mentioned again. That's why they're memorable. You've already experienced your first regenerator, and now they have the context of being an enemy by that point. The bag? Straight outta strangetown.
>>
>>258901846
This movie is so fucking overrated. Alien does what it does far better.
>>
>>258902330
Yeah the defib scene is what I was referencing with
>It arguably has just one jump scare that is so well done and integral to the context of the scene that it's passable though.
>>
>>258902228
>Ain't Outlast 90% jumpscares though?
Yes
>>
>>258902408
That's a dinosaur.
>>
File: 1408199819662.jpg (14KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1408199819662.jpg
14KB, 400x300px
Why are there Outlast shills every time horror is mentioned?

It's not even that scary.
>>
>>258902190
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Suffering_(video_game)
Was it this?
>>
>>258892052
>faggots keep saying "all jump scares are bad"
I think I disagree. Jump scares can work really well. The trick is to build a menacing atmosphere and then give a jump. Then the person watching/playing gets used to the buildup and then the payoff. They become accustomed to the rhythm, it stops getting scary and you switch it up on them. Right after they come down from a jump scare, hit them again, harder. They aren't ready for it. Or maybe just have no jump at all.

Jump scares fail when the player can predict them or when the correct amount of tension hasn't been built.
>>
>>258902245
Not really, in most modern games there is an enemy, in a lot of them impending doom, without it being horror. They need to make the actual enemies scary, and jump scares is the cheap way to do that. You're saying that if you replace the animatronics with zombies, it would produce the same horror effect
>>
>>258895429
When I was 13 and played SH 1 I was too scared to go through any of the sections where it was just you in the dark with a flashlight and the radio had almost constant static.
>>
>>258892052

A guy once said that there MUST be jump scares because otherwise if the player know there are none he wouldn't get scared just by the atmosphere, but I'm a pussy so even if there are no jump scares and only creepy atmosphere I would still keep shitting myself the whole way through.

Just wanted to make a note that a game doesn't have to have scares to be scary.

On another note, my favorite type is the scare the player creates himself. Just add an enemy, some steps and breathing SFX and stuff like that, and no need to pre-program jump scares, just let the player accidentally find the monster after opening a door or peaking through a crack in the wall and you don't even need to make the monster roar or anything, scare 100% guaranteed. Even if they never look at it, the SFX will make they constantly alert about the presense of the monster, which is tense as fuck.
>>
File: slayer1.jpg (37KB, 460x322px) Image search: [Google]
slayer1.jpg
37KB, 460x322px
>>258902190
>>258902562
yep. that game was fucked.
>>
>>258902514
I liked this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3gie272Po

but otherwise I agree
>>
>>258894601
Are you that endo guy from the Tower Quest threads?
>>
>>258902683
Haven't played it, but I have to say it has some REALLY fucking good enemy designs.
>>
>>258900342
I normally like Leo's stuff, but him recording his gameplay footage followed by clearly recording his dialogue afterwards is a really shitty way to try and get his point across.

I've played FN@F to the 7th night and watched a fair few streams, and some of the scares still get me sometimes. For Leo to be acting like he's the goddamn Fonz and saying "Oh wow, a jumpscare, pfft try harder kiddo" is really lame. I understand the point he's trying to get across, but he could be less fucking lazy and try reviewing the damn thing instead of pretending that this is legit footage.

And if by some ridiculous turn of events it actually is real footage, he's too desensitised to jumpscares and I feel bad for his overall horror experience.
>>
>>258902190
the suffering?
>>
>>258902637
False, in your typical horror game enemies can kill you, but there are relative safe spots. You clear a hall way and you know nothing more is going to spawn and come spook you.

The core spook mechanic in this is not the jump scare, it's the fact that something is coming to fuck you from the moment the game starts and you cant stop it, you can only stave it off with finite battery power.

Game over screen =/= core mechanic.
>>
>>258901901

Take The Hunter from Dead Space 1 as an example. The one monster you can't kill by any usual means, because he always regenerates.

Or the Regenerator from RE4.

(Although to a lesser extent) The Tank from L4D.

Or the all time classic ... (picture related)

Adding invincible monsters out of nowhere can really fuck with a player's mind. When you finally get used to fighting in a horror game, most of the horror disappears. Throwing a "real" monster will give the player a renewed sense of fear, because now he's back to running.
>>
>>258892052
I can't remember the name of it, but there was an RPGmaker game where you ran from a big blue asshole. The scare wasn't a "OOGA BOOGA BOOGA WHERE ALL THE MEXICAN WOMEN AT" scare, you were constantly being pursued and you had no idea when or where it would catch up to you.

I want a game where you are constantly being pursued, and you have to outrun the monster, but it always knows where you are, and all you can do is try to buy time to escape.
>>
Atmosphere is the best kind of horror. Let the player become scared of the environment, and their own abilities, like in real life. STALKER and shit like Call of Cthulhu DCotR will always be the superior horror games to shit like Outlast.
>>
>>258892052
People who say they don't like jump scares are faggots that want to prove they're tough but still get startled by them and hate it.

It's stupid because it is a scare they just don't like that they can't keep calm when it happens.
>>
>>258902964
But as I said, thats not a horror mechanic, thats just the game mechanic. That doesnt make the game a horror, as I said replace that with zombies and it doesnt produce the same effect. DayZ isnt a horror, but you cannot stop the zombies, since they respawn. You cant win, you can just stave off death. Minecraft isnt a horror, but you will eventually die, you just fight off death. I agree its something that is a good tactic for horrors, but it cant be the primary horror mechanic
>>
I need clarification. Is this a 5N@F thread, or a general horror thread?
>>
>>258903097
The problem with those enemies is that the fail to instill a sense of horror, so much as a sense of urgency. You want to get out of the room because you know it will be game over if you dont, not because holy fuck thats a creepy fucker.
>>
>>258902514
Outlast devs trying to force their shitty game on /v/
I used as an example of how horror games should not be done.

Predictable, boring as fuck, you can evade anyone pursuing you easily by passing them by the right.

Excellent graphics though, especially for the snow, and the most detailed penises you will find in vidya. That said, it is a shitty game.
>>
>>258903437
Read the post before looking at the picture, every time.
>>
>>258903175
Ao Oni
>>
>>258903437
General horror. We have enough FN@F threads man. Even a fast-moving general.
>>
File: 173[1].jpg (167KB, 1200x981px) Image search: [Google]
173[1].jpg
167KB, 1200x981px
>>258899137
>One good tactic I know to scare people is to put them under tension, a lot of tension. Have a character following you, and you need to perform some kind of action thats very clunky and fidgety
Reminded me of SCP Containment Breach. While blinking is just matter of pressing the space bar (or waiting until the auto-blink timer runs out) you're forced to have your focus on the thing at all times. You can never ignore the fact that you're being followed by two fuckers who play by completely different rules in addition to having all the other mystical and dangerous shit down there with you as well.

It's not just enough to randomly run away or hide in one room since then the other SCPs will just have their way with you. Players has to be constantly on the move.

>>258903175
Ao Oni
>>
>>258903563
Yes, thank you.
>>
>>258900801
Wow that guy is a fucking nob.

He did nothing but bitch about it the whole time. I also like him whining about how he got "Scammed" out of 5 whole dollarydoos
>>
>>258895195
It's causes fright and alarm and that's the definition of scary. Just admit that what you want is an uneasy feeling in games and you don't know what scary means.
>>
>>258903454
>and the most detailed penises you will find in vidya
Literally the only good thing about it.
>>
Jumpscares are just part of your arsenal when you're making a horror game. You shouldn't rely on them, but they're not inherently bad.
>>
>>258903409
I simply disagree with you in this regard Anon. Be them zombies or not, is irrelevant. In every single game you mentioned, you can kill the enemy. You cannot kill the enemy in Five Nights. You'll never fully neutralize the threat of enemies in DayZ or Minecrat, they will always be coming. But you can defeat the mob and be relatively safe for a time. There is no saftey in Five Nights, they are coming and you can't kill them, you can only hope to survive until the night ends. This is the core horror mechanic.

Like I said, I don't think we're going to be able to agree on this issue.
>>
>>258903594
Exactly, its the fact that you have to be performing a task, in a hurry, while being chased. And it needs to have just seconds between being killed and winning.
>>
>>258902434
seriously? the thing absolutely shits on alien in every conceivable way

I think you have garbage taste
>>
>>258895195

>You could play any loud noise after a sudden relative quiet and achieve the same effect.

No you fucking couldn't.

All that creepiness that a game plays up? It's to make you scared that something is going to jump at you, and by having a game actually produce a jumpscare not only works as a playoff for the atmosphere that was built (as >>258894913 says jumpscares are the punchline). But it then validates that fear as you re-continue playing.
>>
my fear for the deep sea comes from playing Ecco at a young age, and the fear being further solidified from Ape Escape in one of the beginning worlds where you have to cross a lake with a gigantic electric fishing hunting you downand near the end of the lake you can see another humongous fish all the way at the bottom of the lake, ot doesnt do shit though but sit there, if you swim to it's depths though it will harm you

what i'm saying is, we need more games that has water horror in it
>>
>>258899686
sadpanda at?
>>
>>258903879
I for one like them both.
>>
>>258903838
But the inability to kill an enemy doesnt make a game horror, at least not in my opinion. But your right, its different opinions on whats scary, and I dont think we'll agree.
>>
>>258903441
I think that one's pretty subjective.

Every Regenerator I faced my first playthrough (and on the first few subsequent times through) of RE4 spooked the absolute shit out of me. The twitching, the breathing, the not-quite-human-but-that-thing-must-have-been-fucking-human design. I wanted that shit dead.

Especially when you get locked in the freezer with one and HAVE to take it out. Your fight-or-flight instinct immediately gets kicked in the balls and you have to fight or get fucked, and when I didn't wanna be anywhere near one of those messed up things, that really screwed with me.
>>
>>258903409
Is this bait, or are you really this retarded?
>>
>>258901871
>IT ISN'T SCARY! I ONLY JUMPED!!! THATS NOT SCARY!!!
>>
>>258895195

But with the 90s'-esque pre-rendered graphics, they couldn't possibly make a gory scene that's realistic and not ridiculously fake looking. It's better to leave it to your imagination.
>>
>>258894364
STROG WIN!

YES! YES! YES!
>>
File: 1408562598757.gif (3MB, 316x173px) Image search: [Google]
1408562598757.gif
3MB, 316x173px
>>258892052
an incredibly creepy, unnerving, disturbing atmosphere. with, for example, monsters that appear in the far distance closing up on you fast, instead of instantly popping up in front of you.
basically, like most horror games act bar the jump scares to rustle my autism.
>>
>>258904162
Well are you going to put forward a convincing argument against it or just call me names
>>
>>258904178
stop
>>
>>258903732
I think you are confused. Suprise =/= fear, it never has and never will. Let's say you hear glass break late at night, the sound of the glass breaking surprised and startled you... but the thought of who/what caused that to happen and what the intention is is scary
>>
>>258903441
Deep down, a good horror game should make you feel that. If you're audacious enough, given the choice to fight or run, you'll always choose fight, because there's a chance. But when a game forces you to run, takes away all your power and makes you feel the thrill of being hunted, that's when biological horror comes into play. The fear of death.

It's essentially forcing the player into a Fight of Flight response.

Except, of course, you can't fight.

You can only run.
>>
>>258903761
youve always been a slut, marry me
>>
File: 1307735866105.jpg (117KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1307735866105.jpg
117KB, 400x300px
>>258903948
>Play WoW
>Under water
>Get to the edge of the zone
>There is a tench that just drops off for miles.
>Fuck it, I'm going in
>10 minutes later
>Water is murky as fuck
>Can't even see the surface anymore
>'Stamina' bar appears over me indicating I'm going to die
>Keep going down
>My fucking face the whole time

I didn't know what I was expecting to see down there, but just going made me nervous as all fuck
>>
>>258903858
This only works if it's set up within gameplay.

The worst is when you have a scripted chase that ends in a cutscene of you slamming a door where you haven't actually done anything but reach the goal point, and the only real way to fail the chase is to stop entirely.

Introducing something big and fucking dangerous in that the only thing your character can now do is RUN is a pretty good way to instill dread. The Bear from Condemned 2 is a good example.

I.E:
>It's a fucking bear.
>You are in a restaurant full of tables between you and the staircase up.
>Run.
>>
I've always been spooked when you return to an area that was safe or "normal" previously but it's been changed to become scary

Japanese type horror like random faces appearing in the darkness is pretty spooky too
>>
>>258904178

>tits

Incorrect.
>>
>>258902471

So your post that was arguing that jump scares made for shitty horror, proceeds to argue that a jump scare can be well done and work? Nice one.
>>
File: 1400357065060.png (65KB, 253x238px) Image search: [Google]
1400357065060.png
65KB, 253x238px
>>258904178
I hate you people.
>>
Nothing is scary without jumpscares. Even legendary horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil relied on them.

If nothing can get you at any time, it's not horror. Real fear is knowing that you can jumped at any time. Otherwise, you can just waltz through the game with a positive attitude.
>>
>>258904350
I am deeply convinced you are retarded, given you cannot tell between an intended atmosphere of peril, and a game over screen.
>>
>>258902190

i agree, not a ton of things attempting to startle you, but just a very grimy, dirty feeling, like a ball in your stomach. the suffering did that feeling very well, surrounded by some of the sickest characters in gaming
>>
Good scares are psychological scares. Try out Silent Hill 2, very little about the game is jump scares and it's more about going into rooms you don't want to go into, seeing the scenery around you change, walking past a "dead body" on the ground multiple times, etc.
>>
>>258904178
>>
>>258904650
But Resident Evil and Silent Hill had safe areas you retard...
>>
>>258904591
Yes, I completely agree, you must have the ability to lose, so it cant be scripted.

>>258904660
So you're not gonna be able to put forward a valid argument.
Thought not
>>
>>258904401
I can't really agree with this at all. Sure it all sounds good on paper, but in real life you don't get a fight or flight response after the first meeting with an invincible enemy, you get a "Fuck, I hate these annoying sections" response from essentially having a time escape objective.
>>
File: 1406804784246.jpg (105KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
1406804784246.jpg
105KB, 700x450px
>>258904178
>>
>>258902228
>>258902486

Have you guys even played it? There's alot of good horror and not many jumps at all
>>
>>258904534
someone post the picture
you know the one.
>>
>>258904650
But you're implying that you know in advance whether or not something can "get you". I mean, you can, but that'd mean you read spoilers about the game or you played it before, which kind of defeats the purpose of playing a horror game.
>>
>>258904840

But the point is that they still had jump scares dumbass........
>>
>>258900123

It would be cool if the game over was art of the costume room with one of the suits coated in blood, bulging eyes and teeth.

And then before it goes back to the main menu, the eyes look up at the camera.
>>
File: 3.jpg (84KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
84KB, 600x800px
>>258904178
>Both female

Ya dun good kid
>>
There's also fear of the unknown. Here's a little challenge for all of you who have Skyrim:

Equip a waterbreathing amulet, go all the way north to the shore, and simply walk down to the abyss of the ocean for as long as you can.

We stopped checking for the monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside our minds. That's why nothingness is scarier.

Because we're alone with our thoughts.
>>
File: 1390434036531.png (129KB, 416x412px) Image search: [Google]
1390434036531.png
129KB, 416x412px
>>258904178
I was honestly expecting something better anon.
>>
>>258904876
>you don't get a fight or flight response after the first meeting with an invincible enemy, you get a "Fuck, I hate these annoying sections" response from essentially having a time escape objective.

I think that one's all on you, man. I haven't ever felt that like when immersed in a game. I don't remember meeting an invincible enemy and thinking "Aw man, my bullets don't work on it so obviously I have to either run away or just find the thing that kills or disables it. Whatever. Game mechanics man." - I've thought "WELL THAT'S NOT GOOD. TIME TO FUCKING GET OUT. NO THANKS. NOT TODAY. BYE."
>>
Are th er any good horror games that hurt you in real life?
>>
>>258895429
The Prison in SH2 is basically the scariest thing I've ever played through in a video game.
>>
>>258904241
Yeah I know. I was just making hypotheticals. OP asked what I think would be better, and I told him.

I like 5NAF fine the way it is, and don't expect anything to actually change.
>>
>>258901529

literally from jacob's ladder
>>
>>258904998
They didn't rely on jumpscares either, most enemy encounters have no involvement with jumpscares.

FN@F's enemies only attack you with a jumpscare.
>>
>>258902514
There were a few times the game freaked me out.

Like when that guy catches you in the locker and tries to make you into a woman.

Or when the other guy catches you and chops off your finger. Jesus Christ.
>>
See Junji Ito for horror that requires no jump scares.
>>
>>
>>258905349
>Smiling ghosts
>Scary

Japan can't into horror
>>
>>258905090
Cheesiest post on /v/ for today, by a skyrim fanboy, of all thing.
>>
>>258905064
>>258904178

Go back to /d/ you fucking autists.
>>
I don't really consider jump scares as 'scary'. They're startling. I was 'surprised', 'caught of guard', but not really scared.

To me, scary is...prolonged tension, uneasiness, and a foreboding feeling despair.
>>
File: Test.jpg (28KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Test.jpg
28KB, 250x188px
>>258904613
>>
>>258902885
I think it's actually recorded live. If you listen to the night 2 transition, you can hear his mic pick up the game audio also
>>
File: Image 1.jpg (28KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
Image 1.jpg
28KB, 360x240px
>>
>>258905596

?????
>>
>>258904876
Well, that's because you're thinking of the game as a game. You can always rationalize with that mindset. If you're playing a horror game and at any point you think "God, I hate these sections." then it's either A.) A really shitty game with no immersion or B.) Your fault for not getting into the game.
>>
>>258905592
At the end of the day, you gotta ask yourself, when I go to bed will I be shitting myself at this? Because jump scares, your gonna say no, something thats actually scary is still scary when the game is closed down
>>
>>258904623
A multitude of jump scares makes for a shitty horror game.

One well done jump scare doesn't invalidate an entire good movie or game.
>>
>>258905740
False, no matter what game you play, you will always know its a game. Immersion can only take you so far.
>>
>>258897779
That analogy was actually pretty funny
>>
>>258905435
looks kinda edgy anon.
>>
File: A Dutchman maybe.jpg (100KB, 550x771px) Image search: [Google]
A Dutchman maybe.jpg
100KB, 550x771px
>>258905725
Just testing.
>>
Anyone here play Obscure 1 for the XBOX/PS2? I found it quite good. It had jumpscares, sure, but it relied mostly on tension and helplnessness. If you were out of ammo when facing a big baddy, welp, go fuck yourself, run.

Man that game was good.
>>
There's nothing wrong with a good jumpscare from time to time, but if that's what you rely on to make your game, or movie for that matter, scary, then you're doing something wrong. When it's the atmosphere and setting that's freaking you out, when the anticipation of something happening is making you more scared than the actual things, that's what a good scare is. A jumpscare can make you jump in your seat but it doesn't necessarily "scare" you, you need to have all the other stuff for that.
>>
>>258905839

Your post that was arguing that jump scares made for shitty horror, proceeds to argue that a jump scare can be well done and work. Nice one.
>>
>>258892052
>I'm retarded so everyone else must be too
>>
File: 30[1].jpg (122KB, 893x1313px) Image search: [Google]
30[1].jpg
122KB, 893x1313px
>>258905464
Horror is one of the only things Japan can do.
>>
>>258904178
Yesss, do want.
>>
>>258903879
Every conceivable way? I'll bite.

The Thing
>the acting is so 80s it hurts
>scifi plot is silly as shit
>trite "WHICH ONE OF US IS THE MONSTER" shit
>bad pacing
>no real atmosphere, it just flaunts a bunch of plastic gore effects in your face
>the effects haven't even aged
>shoehorned racial tension near the end
>all the mistrust between the character feels forced, probably because the acting isn't great

Alien
>acting is actually good, so it isn't tied to a particular decade
>favors showing over telling with its plot
>excellent pacing, equal parts mystery, tension and danger
>excellent atmosphere thanks to meticulously designed sets
>the effects have aged very well because they try to show as little of the aliens as possible
>only exception being the spaceship scenes, like where the alien gets ejected
>genuine mistrust and frustration between the characters, like when Lambert is pissed at Ripley
>>
>>258895429
Nothing compares to the underwater part in SH2.

>just descended several bottomless holes
>no idea where you're going
>dark as fuck
>flooded with murky water
>Pyramid Head IS down there with you
>>
>>258906142

That comic wasn't scary is was just fucking disgusting
>>
>>258905617
This. The only things that frighten me anymore are stuff like in WoW or a few other games where you swim out really far into the "fatigue zone" and the land gives way, and if you swim down far enough everything turns black (because light can't reach that far down or whatever); that shit is absolutely frightening as fuck

OP, I prefer the uneasiness caused by say, objects being slightly distorted and looking just "wrong" enough that my brain says "this isn't right, but I don't know why" whether that's because of weird lighting, shadows in the wrong place, doorframes that just slightly curve instead of being straight, or if objects in a room change their position just slightly when I'm not looking at them
>>
>>258897779

And having a game being called scary for not having jumpscares is like saying a person is funny because they tell jokes and forget the punchline every time.
>>
>>258904204
Its not that it isn't scary its just cheap and you get over it quickly
>>
File: not ready.png (248KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
not ready.png
248KB, 500x384px
>>258903097

Whats her name from RE1 Remake? I cant remember Lesia or something. She cant die either shit is terrifying
>>
File: darksouls_nope.gif (960KB, 338x350px) Image search: [Google]
darksouls_nope.gif
960KB, 338x350px
>>258892052
There are two types of fear: Scare and Dread

Scare is invigorating

Dread is debilitating

The confusion comes from buzzwords because people use "scare" like rednecks say "coke".

There's no good or bad, it's just people projecting what constitutes as "effort".

A cheap scare/dread is product of a "harmless" trap. Jump scare, abusing a phobia, etc. However a genuine scare/dread is product of coincidence.

If anything a good fear is a scare and a bad fear is a dread.

But by "survival horror" standards, any "scare" that causes dread would be considered "good" and any "scare" that causes a "jump scare" is considered bad.
>>
jump scares are shit, but games can't really achieve actual fear anyway
a good fright would put you in the mood and slowly build up your tension
make you legitimately afraid
not shit popping out and saying boo
>>
>>258902471
What about the scene where MacReady's testing the blood? I'd call that a jump scare.
>>
Something is scary when it invokes a sense of danger. If it does not, it can at most be creepy.

Silent Hill 3 is scary to me because the monsters are a genuine threat. The atmosphere, environments, sound and everything else revolve around that and compliment it. Games like Penumbra or Amnesia, think of them what you will, are scary.

Silent Hill 2, while brilliant in the story and atmosphere department, failed to scare me most of the time. The scariest part by far were the first 10 minutes when you're walking down the road to the town. Anything can happen, anything can suddenly leap out at you from the fog.. But then the monsters turn out to be ineffective and merely creepy more than anything. and from then on, you just don't believe you'll ever find yourself in a genuine emergency.
>>
>>258906562
You obviously went into it not wanting to like it, and if you think today's "acting" is good, you're a child and probably grew up in the 90s or some shit.

You also need to understand that The Thing pretty much invented / popularized "which one of us is the monster", it's like criticizing Half Life for not being as good as games that copied and improved upon it.
>>
>>258904991

So what you're saying is that the fear of jumpscares, even if they don't exist, drives horror.
>>
>>258906816
>having a game being called scary for not having jumpscares

What? Good horror does come from the absence of jump scares, it comes from being scary without resorting to startling you.
>>
File: 32[1].jpg (235KB, 800x1174px) Image search: [Google]
32[1].jpg
235KB, 800x1174px
>>258906373
ok

>>258906464
He's not even the best though.
>>
>>258906343
No, that's a cheap as fuck jump scare. That's like playing tetris and a bloody, screaming face pops up. If you're gonna have jump scares, then the moment at least needs to be tense and unnerving.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHTsm09Mkw
>>
Wow, this thread is worse than /x/.
>>
File: patema[1].jpg (155KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
patema[1].jpg
155KB, 1600x900px
>>258906142
I got a new kind of fear when I watched Patema Inverse.

I had never seriously thought about falling into the sky but now it freaks me out.
>>
>>258892052
Atmosphere.
Basically, if they game feels "heavy" and puts you under a lot of long-term pressure, it leaves you with a good feeling of "decompression" after you finish playing it.
Jump scares simulate this poorly by forcing the pressure through the player anticipating when's the next "OOGABOOGA I'M A MONSTER" gonna pop out.
>>
The best scares (and monsters) are those that never actually appear. Take, for instance, the game Scratches. Its adventure mechanics were lackluster at best (with you having absolutely no idea wtf you are even supposed to do for the better part of the game), but boy did it manage to scare me. Fun thing is, you're told that there's something scary in that old house, and you hear strange sounds at night, and you have crazy dreams, but you don't ever see anything.

And then you find the key to the basement and this starts playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8UyMzms10
>>
>>258906483

The part where you fail to explain why you can call jump scares shitty horror and then proceed to argue a jump scare as being well done.

Also the part where you expect people to take you seriously with a trip on, but that's beside the point.
>>
>>258906943
Anon, someone who rew up in the 90s would be in roughly their early/mid twenties.

They're not children, you're just old.
>>
play Scratch then you'll know what a good horror is
>>
Jump scares = startling
startling != actual fear

did you actually get afraid when your brother hid behind a corner and popped out at you?
no, you were startled.
this is literally what jumpscares are.
>>
>>258906950
Not jump scares specifically, just fear in general. Fear of something following you catching up, fear of something lurking the darkness or depths, etc.
>>
File: 1263318816770.jpg (105KB, 466x441px) Image search: [Google]
1263318816770.jpg
105KB, 466x441px
>watch someone play the P.T. demo
>absolutely nothing happens for a long time
>all of the sudden a woman attacks you
>she doesn't come out of the corner
>she doesn't slowly descend on you
>you don't hear her coming
>she literally appears on you
>>
>>258906443
is that actually what being on top of the clouds of jupiter would look like?

Also gas giants are fucking horrifying for some reason
>>
>>258906903
Good post; I'll only say that while a Scare is invigorating and thus perhaps more "fun" or "good" (the way a roller coaster is "fun"), Dread really pulls you into the setting and situation which is quite a bit more immersive, compared to the Scare that only lasts a moment.

I think FNaF does Jump Scares right; it only happens as a Defeat condition, not as a cheap tactic thrown at you often to keep your heart racing
>>
File: nopenopenope.jpg (113KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
nopenopenope.jpg
113KB, 1000x1000px
>>258907229

Did I mention that there reason why you went down there in the first place were knocking sounds from inside the heating boiler?
>>
>>258907360
Are you sure? Because "Hiding Brother" sounds like the next major blockbuster.
>>
>>258906923
I wouldn't personally qualify it as a jump scare as it was the entire point of the scene. They set that up and the audience was waiting for that reaction. It didn't come out of nowhere.
>>
File: NightPain.jpg (47KB, 1672x944px) Image search: [Google]
NightPain.jpg
47KB, 1672x944px
>no one on /v/ reads books
>no one reads Lovecraft, Poe, or King who know how to create real monsters, tension, and pain

fuck hate you niggers
>>
>>258907431

I agree. I know Jupiter is pretty much the reason we still exist but fuck it's spoopy.
>>
>>258907637
Cosmic Horror is best Horror.
>>
>>258906643
I have my /v/ set to Tomorrow. Get rekt.
>>
>>258907637

>Poe
>And..uh...he was... entombed alive..yeah! Entombed alive!
>>
File: WOW.png (673KB, 1280x655px) Image search: [Google]
WOW.png
673KB, 1280x655px
>>258904963
>>
>>258907203
There was a comic by Don Rosa about the same thing. Was pretty interesting.
>>
>>258907137
Did you even read my post? I said you're constantly going through dark and creepy places, implying that there IS a sense of tension, because you don't know if something's going to pop out or not. What you described is like that shitty maze game you get your friends to play while you watch them, a la 2 Girls 1 Cup.
>>
File: 1408203404138.gif (3MB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
1408203404138.gif
3MB, 390x400px
>>258907704
Come closer, little Human
>>
>>258907637
>comparing poe to king
>>
>>258907637
Lovecraft is a hack
there are way better weird fiction writers out there
>>
>>258907101

No, that isn't scary, what you are referring to is a creepy game, not a scary one.

A game simply cannot be scary if you know nothing is going to come of the creepy atmosphere, how can it?

Unless of course, you intend to argue that you are actually as autisitic as >>258906652
>>
>>258907429
This is just bullshit. It would be better if she slowly appeared and started walking towards you.
>>
>>258906443
That picture kinda makes those features look small
>>
>>258904382
>>258903732
You're both faggots, and everything you're talking about is just triggering the fight-or-flight reflex and activating the sympathetic nervous system.
>>
>>258907637
>King
Tried reading Dreamcatcher once, it was cool but he just rambles so it was boring alot of the time.
>>
>>258907637

HAHAHA

Look at this fucking retard. Books can't be scary. How can books be scary, they're just words! When you turn the page does it have BOO in really big letters?
>>
>>258907124
He's not even good though. Most of his stuff is at best unsettling. He can draw the occasional weird ass thing, but most of his shit is just laughable.
>>
>>258907637
But I do read all of those authors.

HP Lovecraft wrote some good stuff (The Colour Out of Space is one of my favourite horror stories) but he was a hack for the most part, too many cop-out endings to be taken seriously.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 500x632px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 500x632px
>>258900342
The first half of that video reminded me way too much of DSP except I think it's because this guy actually doesn't know what's going on
>>
>>258907897

not comparing. Im just talking about the most mainstream writers in Horror

>>258907945

like who nigger?
>>
>>258895429
silent hill 1 school and silent hill 2 prison
had to play during the day
>>
>>258905232
A lot of non-horror games hurt me to play.
>>
>>258907951
>if you know nothing is going to come of the creepy atmosphere

Are you fucking stupid? How do you know nothing is going to come out? Because for something to be there it need to fucking appear in front of your face and go "BOOO!!"?

>you intend to argue that you are actually as autisitic

Oh sorry, I typed my post before realizing your a shitposter. Please put on a tripcode so I never have to deal with your retarded shit.
>>
>>258904963
Oh yeah, that one
>>
>>258892052
WHEN IS CR1TIKAL GONNA PLAY THIS?
>>
>>258903572
There is a horror general now, but it's slow as hell at the moment..
>>
>>258900580
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4mdGA9ehk There's a lot game devs can learn from The Exorcist about creating scaring people without the need for loud noises. Look at the very beginning of this clip for example. I think more stuff like this needs to be utilised
>>
>>258906943
Quite the opposite. I was very excited to watch The Thing finally and was a bit disappointed.

Where from my post did you extrapolate that I think "today's acting" is good? Trust me, I don't. Alien is three years older than The Thing and has great acting. I was just referring to The Thing's use of cheesey, hammy acting that was prevalent throughout that era of film. It works for a lot of movies, but not really for horror that wants you to take it seriously.
>>
>>258908125
Pretty much this. I like some of his work, and a lot of his work is pretty good up to a point, and that point comes out too often.

>Set the scene with a lot of wanky description
>It's okay I love wanky description, jizz everywhere, HP.
>Place/Events seem pretty spooky
>More spook
>Even more spook + implications

At that point, Lovecraft either does something cool and interesting like in The Lurking Fear where the horrific face-eating monsters turn out to be the long lost Martense family, inbred and twisted beyond recognition into apelike monstrosities, or he goes full retard and does the old

>And then the monster appeared before me
>By the way I'm insane now so I can describe that to you
>Since only insane people can understand, you see
>Except I can't describe it to you
>Because it was just THAT SPOOKY AND INDESCRIBABLE THAT I CAN'T DESCRIBE IT

Having something be indescribable in a story can be like "wow that's pretty messed up," but having that cop-out appear in a lot of his stories, which is really obvious if you read a lot of HP's work back-to-back, it's pretty fucking lame.
>>
>>258908412
Good horror comes from having the correct balance between atmosphere and scares, they're only truly effective when paired together properly.
>>
>>258907637
None of those authors are any good
>>
>>258907637
Poe is comedy.
>>
>>258908412
>Because for something to be there it need to fucking appear in front of your face and go "BOOO!!"?

What do you intend then? There are some horror games where things just appear, or are just *there* and are fairly startling by themselves, no audio or musical cue, but some would still class those as jump scares.

Jump scares are acceptable provided they're backed up by the tension set up in the game. Overusing them or simply going for Doom 3 Monster Closet scares is cheap and lazy though.
>>
>>258902514
Outlast was decent, to be honest. Not exactly scary but there were some ideas here and here that the devs might have not been fully through.
>>
File: fivenightsatfreddys.gif (166KB, 1000x566px) Image search: [Google]
fivenightsatfreddys.gif
166KB, 1000x566px
terror and horror are different things. this is horror
>>
>>258908758
>and scares

The problem is that some people think that "scares" are scary jpegs with loud music stings.

Oh good lord, I just realized Arise might just be best modern horror game series of all time.
>>
File: 1402327855212.png (51KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
1402327855212.png
51KB, 370x370px
>>258907637
>>
>>258902514
The only people who actually talk about outlast on /v/ are people who havent played it.

You know this by them telling you outlast is 100% jumpscares.
>>
Quick question, is Five Nights Pizzas and Fries compatible with a gamepad?
>>
File: lf.jpg (67KB, 450x702px) Image search: [Google]
lf.jpg
67KB, 450x702px
This now a book thread? Yes I love /lit/ and I hope you all evolve and drop videogames because they suck and pick up a good novel.

Just got this baby in the mail.
>>
>>258908964
>but some would still class those as jump scares.

That's the problem, you are trying to tell me that anything that is scary is a jumpscare, and you're a moron because of this.

You're afraid because you notice it standing there, and you might not know what it is or what it's intentions are.

You're not scared because it appeared in your face or yelled in your ear.

It's VERY FUCKING DIFFERENT.
>>
>>258909069
>it was nanomachines all along

outlast is shit
>>
File: 1406761651876.jpg (10KB, 202x184px) Image search: [Google]
1406761651876.jpg
10KB, 202x184px
>>258908728
Read a lovecraft story and take a shot every time he says 'Eldritch' or 'Cyclopean'
>>
>>258908585
What are those subtitles?
>>
>>258907951
You can't be scared by atmosphere if you're fearless. Fear comes from a sense of danger.

Most people are afraid of the dark not because the dark is spooky, but because of what could be inside it. Not knowing what could happen and fear of uncertainty. There are two kinds of people. Some fear uncertainty, some fear immediate danger. That's why some people like paranormal movies and others prefer slashers.

It goes down to a principle of the mind. Those who fear uncertainty feel at ease with things they can explain. They don't fear serial killers because they *know* they're still human. They know they can make flaws. They can UNDERSTAND what's going after them, and they know it can be stopped. When something out of the ordinary appears, they lose their shit, because they don't understand it, and they fear the unknown. That's why atmosphere plays a huge role in scary games. The continuous feel of dread hovering over your shoulder reminding you that you shouldn't be there instead of the constant enemy popping up every now and then.
>>
>>258904204
The word you're looking for is startled. Being startled is very different to being scared. Jump scares may startle you, but they won't put actual fear into you like a good horror movie/game will.
>>
A 'scare' is abrupt all the time.
What people complain about regarding modern horror games is that their entire horror scheme comes from jump scares, setting up jump scares and creating the expectation of a jump scare and then denying it.

Good horror comes from ambiance and growing fear generated by unsettling scenarios etc.

bla bla bla
>>
>>258909301
dont forget aeon
>>
>>258909254
>evolve and drop videogames

videogames came after books though

they're a higher, more evolved form of entertainment
>>
>>258905332
>Like when that guy catches you in the locker and tries to make you into a woman.
when was that? was that in the dlc? Because i still need to play that, I already beat the game might as well beat the dlc too
>>
>>258909292
Yeah I gotta agree though that the ending was PURE shit.

Like, "eh, you're free man, take the elevator."
WOW SURPRISE YOU DIDNT EXPECT THAT AH
FUCKING NANOMACHINES THE WHOLE TIME LOL
>>
>>258909254
I have but often I get lazy
>>
>Willingly indulging yourself in horror

Bet you search up gore pictures and get off to them too you deranged fucks.
>>
>>258892052

Real good horror is something so terrifying, unthinkable, and grotesque that you reel in sustained and chronic terror. Like something coming for you and feeling helpless to stop it only able to keep a few inches out of it's reach, not knowing when some obstacle will slow you down JUST enough for it to catch you. Or being dropped into a vat of something you have an aversion to. Or being confronted by some thing you'd like to avoid so desperately that you go blind with fear and scrabble and thrash around trying to escape.
>>
>>258908728
Exactly, Lovecraft resorted to "it was so scary that I went insane and now I can't describe it" endings too often. He was great at creating an impending sense of terror but regularly ended stories without telling what the source of that fear was and while that's par for the course given that his main theme was the idea that there are profound and terrifying things beyond our understanding, it didn't always translate well in his narratives.

Read "The Shadow over Innsmouth" or "The Hound" for examples of his better writing, you get a feeling of something horrible coming and there's the pay-off at the end.
>>
>>258909474
Crazy fucker tries to cut your balls. That's what they should put in the review to sum up all the horror in Outlast.
>>
>>258908412
>How do you know nothing is going to come out?

Not that guy, but this is what I was talking about in >>258906930. You CAN know almost for a fact that nothing really bad is gonna happen if there's a precedent, if the game has already strongly indicated that every "threat" is just a joke that can be very easily dealt with or escaped.

Mind you, an excellent horror game would lure you into that false sense of security and unleash the danger when you least expect it. But I've never seen one do that. It's just a one-time trick, anyway.
>>
>>258909287
Calm down anon. I agree with you that they're different, I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of disagreement in this thread between definitions and what is appropriate for horror.

However, do you think - generally speaking - building up a sense of dread through a creepy, silent environment should simply stay that way, have a payoff in the vein of simply noticing something that startles you, or that jumpscares are acceptable from time to time in those situations?

Surely you aren't one of those people that believe all jump scares are bad 100% of the time.
>>
>>258892052
Your 10 years old is showing a lot
>>
File: SilentHillElevator 2.jpg (30KB, 600x180px) Image search: [Google]
SilentHillElevator 2.jpg
30KB, 600x180px
>>258892052
>I know absolutely nothing about horror
Pic related is enough to make you shit your pants in context.
Being loud and obnoxious isn't scary, it's just startling. 5 Nights at Freddy's would be great if it weren't for the needlessly loud screeching right in your face if they make it to the room.
>>
>>258898535
this
>>
>>258902514
Because Outlast was not only a good horror game but an actual good stand alone game too, the devs actually knew what the fuck they were doing and the whole thing doesn't pride itself on shitty jumpscares. One of my favorite games of this year for sure.
>>
>>258908412

Trust me I don't use the term autistic much, but that one post fucking earned it.

>Because for something to be there it need to fucking appear in front of your face and go "BOOO!!"?

It doesn't have to be as blatant as that, but it needs to at least attempt to surprise you in some manner, otherwise it is not going to amount to anything and you therefore would have no reason at all to be scared in the first place.

>Are you fucking stupid? How do you know nothing is going to come out?

Well that's the funny thing about it, people argue that a game should not attempt to scare the player, and instead have the player's imagination of what would be out there scare them. But, in order for that to work the player needs to believe something is going to happen in the first place.... which by their own argument is shitty horror. Who the fuck buys a game under the assumption it is by their own definition shit?
>>
Jump scares are just nigger scares. Amateur level shit. You may as well put a screamer in your game.
>>
>>258909308
Subtitles? At the very start of the clip, look to the left of the frame
>>
>>258909863
No, I think a jumpscare can be earned, when it is set up well, not when it just appears out of fucking nowhere, like having everything very nice and peaceful just to drop a really loud music sting.
>>
>>258908125
>Read Beast in the Cave
>Oh god, this is getting good, I love this.
>"It turns out the beast was A PERSON!"
Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>258908728
agreed. I'd also like to add the the themes of Lovecraft's works haven't aged well. Lovecraft's work have a prevalent theme of humanity is tiny, that the things you think and feel are an incomprehensibly tiny dot in the grand cosmos.

A concept like this might have been mind-blowing in the 20s, but if you tell someone in 2014 that he's just a hairless ape clinging to the side of a tiny spinning rock an indifferent universe, his reaction is probably something like, "Well, obviously, what's your point?" The concept hasn't aged.
>>
>>258909846
Not exactly a horror game, but the Tank breaking into the safe house for the first time in L4D obliterates whatever feeling of safety you'll have in the game. Same with SH4 and the invincible, room-hopping always-on-your-ass enemies.
>>
>>258900342
>admits to never having gone to Chuck E Cheese's

How is person even allowed to have an opinion on the game?
>>
File: IMG_0131.jpg (4MB, 3392x4568px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0131.jpg
4MB, 3392x4568px
Ok, I'm tired of people acting like hardcore badasses in this thread in regards to judging horror.
>THE SHINING
>THE EXORCIST
guess which of those films legitimately managed to scare me past the age of 10.
Protip. Neither.
Do they build dread? A sense of apprehension? Sure. But in all honesty they're no more effective at "scaring" than the next Freddy Kreuger or slasher flick.

I suppose this whole thread is a subtle jab at P.T, and I'm pissed that people's vision of horror is so narrow on video games that it must be either
>jump scare
or
>PSEUDO INTELLECTUAL HIPSTER BULLSHIT
Catherine is a horror game. Catherine is a -damn- good horror game. Marriage terrifies me.

Anyways, to be serious, I'll go ahead and say this.
No other video game in my -life- gave me a jump scare like P.T. Not one. Not RE, SH, Penumbra, Amensia, Slender, Clock Tower, CoC, Condemned, RoR, nothing.

But P.T fucking got me. I'm honestly -ashamed- to say it did.
>walking down corridor
>no music playing
>my shadow has changed, not sure if its me or the ghost
>get closer
>notice it has to be the ghost, neck is creaking
>I KNOW YOU'RE THERE
>turn around, nothing
>turn back around
>"oh hai mark!"
I literally jumped. Well played Kojima.
>>
>>258910145
You're alright, anon.
>>
File: 1322370116089.jpg (49KB, 610x452px) Image search: [Google]
1322370116089.jpg
49KB, 610x452px
Getting lost forever in the Paris Catacombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxJkMlqYrys
>>
>>258892052
Jump scares are great. People don't like them because they work. With that said, there is better and more unnerving horror out there.

See
>>258893073
>>258893902
>>258894940
>>
>>258909927
god I want to press that 4
is silent hill only on PSX/PS2?
>>
>>258892052
Something that disturbs you on a deep psychological level, gives you nightmares, makes you look over your shoulder constantly, sleep with the lights on.
Anything that makes the fear carry on in real life hours after you've stopped playing.
Basically, the best horror games are the ones that are psychologically damaging.

Jump scares are like going through a carnival haunted house with props that jump out and make a spooky sound.
True horror is like having a flash mob pull a multi-day hidden camera prank on you where you believe you're one of the last survivors of a horrible plague and the prank only ends when you go through all the Stages of Grief.
>>
>>258909927
>enter bathroom
>leave bathroom
>you're suddenly on the second floor

SH1 was pretty weird.
>>
>>258903454
You're a faggot, it is an example of how horror games should be done.

>Explorable
>Decent plot
>Hidden items
>Good horror atmosphere and enviorments
>No weapons
>>
>>258892052
Horror is when something is wrong, but not startling.
It silently seeps into your skull, and waits for you to lower your guard.

True horror is persistent fear of the unnatural.
>>
The scariest thing is the missing jumpscare.
You expect it and then there's just silence as the music stops.
>>
>>258902408
This.
>>
>>258897015
>le scary spider meme

Kill yourself.
>>
>>258907797
what the fuck is it
>>
>>258901529
fucking every corpse gets a shot to the head
god damn so much ammo i wasted on dead things
>>
>>258910434
and then you turn around and nothing happens
>>
File: Silent Hill Emulator settings.jpg (250KB, 1469x535px) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hill Emulator settings.jpg
250KB, 1469x535px
>>258910361
It emulates perfectly fine. You can download it off PSN too. If you like horror, you owe it to yourself, it set an insanely high standard for me with other horror games.
>>
>>258892052

atmosphere you sarcastic fart fellow
>>
>>258909301
or unnameable
>>
>>258910594
the tortanic
>>
>>258910310
Man, I first watched this like a year ago now and I just couldn't sleep for a few nights. The thought of just being lost, panicked, and dying slowly terrifies me
>>
A good scare is suspension of belief. Every thing that people are afraid of is something that is unknown to that person, for example a person who has never been stung is going to be a lot more afraid of bees than a person who has. So you have to keep the feeling that the player is in danger while holding of on exposing the danger.
>>
>>258910378
this is taking it to extremes but the general idea is correct
fear that persists and makes you feel uneasy beyond the scope of the game itself
dead space 1 did that for me
>telegraphed monsters so very few jump scares
>constant distant whispering, singing
>when you can make out the whispering it's reading personnel files of the entire crew in a matter-of-fact tone
shit like that is excellent and disturbing on an atmospheric level
>>
>>258910412
>how horror games should be done.
>No weapons

Having no means of defence always takes me right out of the game. Heck, even OP's post has fucking doors and lights to 'combat' the threat.

Games where your only 'weapon' is to run away turns the enemies into a glorified game over state straight back to your last save. Takes me right out of the game, man.
>>
>>258897015
>scared of spiders
Are you a woman or something?
>>
>>258910245
I like some of his sillier stuff, Herbert West: Re-Animator and Cool Air were both fun stories that showed he was still a solid writer when he stepped out of his usual formula.
>>
>>258910310
Wouldn't go down there if I was fucking paid
>>
>>258909301
or nigger
>>
>>258904241
>But with the 90s'-esque pre-rendered graphics, they couldn't possibly make a gory scene that's realistic and not ridiculously fake looking

Then you use artful direction and camera angles.

Show the process from an odd camera angle that shows the thing that grabbed you visibly struggling to shove something into an empty suit. It could be an 8 frame animation with a sound recorded beforehand of breaking chicken bones, tearing the ribcage from a chicken carcass, and mashing the a sopping wet BBQ sauce covered chicken into a small container.

That would be disturbing as hell.
>>
File: 1344110753687.jpg (32KB, 500x524px) Image search: [Google]
1344110753687.jpg
32KB, 500x524px
>tfw given a weapon to defend with but only one that's not quite enough to make you feel confident with like a crowbar, knife etc
>>
>>258910434
These work really well if the jumpscare plays off of existing cliché's

>Watching some horror-ass movie
>Main Character looking into medicine cabinet sliding mirror in the bathroom
>When she slides that closed there's totally gonna be someone behind her
>Nothing
>Turns around
>Still nothing
>Fuck you, movie
>Later on, things have gotten more spooky, same bathroom, same mirror
>Slides closed
>STILL FUCKING NOTHING

That shit fucking screwed with me.
>>
>>258897074
>all jumpscares
How about when you're cornered by enemies, and you're panicking trying to find out the best course of action?
>>
This is an argument that transcends video games and applies to visual media as a whole. It wasn't hard to define horror when novels were the main form of entertainment. Horror was installing dread and fear in your reader. It's a wide definition but it's easy to tell what is and isn't it.

But visual media changed things. You can make movies that fit the old definition, but you can also have movies devoid of dread or fear that are simply loud and startling, and those can be horror movies. You couldn't really just put AND THEN A SPOOKY SKELEY POPPED OUT in huge text in a novel and expect to scare anyone. Startling your audience in a written form requires playing with their expectations, it takes a lot of work.

So basically it boils down to: do we really need to apply the old definition of horror to mediums capable of different things? Is a game not a horror game because it scares it's audience in ways that traditional horror didn't have access to, like sound or pictures?

I think jump scares are a legitimate form of horror, but alternatives DO exist, OP. They've existed for hundreds of years. Horror didn't just start existing when jump scares became possible.
>>
>>258910348
>Jump scares are great. People don't like them because they work.

Real horror keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Jump scares only startle you for a second and then you'll usually disregard it almost immediately, unless it's set up properly. But even then they are basically the pay off to a scary scene.
>>
File: 1334537854056.jpg (171KB, 500x469px)
1334537854056.jpg
171KB, 500x469px
>>258910785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38AbxFr8vY
>mfw there are 30+ minutes of unique whisper audio just like this in the game
What happened with DS2 and 3 was sad.
>>
>>258910798
Thanks for confirming your a casual who needs guns in everything and can't into real horror
>>
File: 1369023083079.png (202KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1369023083079.png
202KB, 421x500px
Babysitter Bloodbath is a horror game where you are trapped in a house that has no power with a Michael Myers inspired murderer
The game plays like the old school Resident Evil games and while he can jump in front of you, there's no jumpscare scream bullshit, it's just naturally scary
>>
>>258911194
Please adopt a trip so I can filter your shit opinion.

Casuals enjoy amnesia-tier 'MUH SPOOKS RUN AWAY.' With no means of defense, you are playing a game featuring a floating camera that records spooky things so you get to feel your itty bitty adwenaline wush so you can feel like a big boy.

Guns, the flash of a camera, throwing chairs at sledgehammer wielding nigh-invincible psychopaths - Player Agency is fucking important in a videogame. Don't be so damn toxic to the genre.
>>
File: save.jpg (199KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
save.jpg
199KB, 1000x667px
>>258910310

>that top comment

holy fuck why
>>
>>258911045
>breaking chicken bones, tearing the ribcage from a chicken carcass, and mashing the a sopping wet BBQ sauce covered chicken into a small container.

Sounds like an average Friday Night at FMy house
>>
>>258907637
Meh, I have a different taste in horror than you then, Im more of a fan of things like War of the Worlds (the original, not the shitty movie), Day of the Triffids, the I am Legend book, things like that
>>
>>258911627

I wanna spunk all over that beautiful asymmetrical face.
>>
>>258900580
What made The Shining scary is context. In the first sequence, you see the Torrance family driving along that long as fuck road with no civilization in sight. At the checkpoint, they explain to Jack that the reason they need to look after the hotel instead of turning it into a ski resort is because there's a 25 mile stretch of road and with 20 feet of snow a year, clearing it off the road would be insanely expensive.
When the shit hits the fan, you know help probably isn't coming.
Another thing that made it scary is the mind-game it plays, when something weird happens, you have to think "Is this the shining, supernatural, or is it Jack hallucinating?" You have no idea what you're dealing with at any given time.
>>
>>258911192
DS2 still has some decent ambience. Even DS3 has some okay ambience. DS1 blows both of them out of the water either way.

The big problem with DS3 is its fucking soundtrack. Whatever genius was behind mixing the audio levels decided that the musical score had to be THE LOUDEST THING AT ALL TIMES SO YOU KNOW THINGS ARE DANGEROUS AND COOL LIKE IN THE MICHAEL BAYS.

Turning off the soundtrack in ALL Dead Space games makes them way better, because the great work the sound designers did on the environmental noises really shines.
>>
The Library in Metro 2033 is a good example I can think of. The very first thing you see when you start the level is a librarian just standing there. You approach and it turns around and stares at you. And you stare at it. And keep staring at it, because you're told that it confuses them. So it is confused for a few seconds and turns around, and you RUN. You understand that you have to run from them because they are bullet sponges and hit like trucks, and ammo is not cheap.
The entirety of the level consists of navigating the run down, maze like library, and you always see glimpses of the librarians through the holes in the walls, ceilings or open doors. Any direct encounter instantly brings tension and requires you to stare at them then run.
There is one jump scare there, when you pick some ammo from a hole in the wall, and it's expected because of the growling and the hole obviously leading to the corridor behind the wall.
>>
File: 1405148260786.jpg (15KB, 320x290px) Image search: [Google]
1405148260786.jpg
15KB, 320x290px
I told my friend to try this game without telling him anything about it other than conserve your power usage.

He said he had no idea what to do and just looked through the cameras. Didn't even know they were getting closer to him since he had no idea that the camera sheet was a map of the place.

When one of them jumped him he had it on high volume and it freaked him out beyond belief. Pissed him off too.

Made fun of him for not realizing that there were buttons for the door,( I mean how the fuck do you even miss those ) and that he didn't realize they were coming closer to him.
>>
>>258910910
It was hard to take Rats In The Walls seriously because the fucking cat was named The Nigger Man

Didn't one of his stories end with the horrific realization that his great-grandermother was black?
>>
File: RULES OF WESKER.webm (3MB, 960x540px)
RULES OF WESKER.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>258911312

It's a Michael Myers inspired horror game because it originally WAS a Halloween game in title and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpBSLpA2o0

I couldn't find anything without commentary/facecam, rip
>>
>>258911526
Whatever man I think there are a couple more zombie horde games coming out soon
>>
>generalizing

Some jump scares feel cheap and a cop-out, others are great.
>>
>>258911192
>tfw fully immersed and mentally putting myself in isaac's boots and these whispers start coming over the PA system on a ship full of corpses and horrible monsters

>>258912061
Yeah, DS2 was alright at times, but it was waaaay action-focused by comparison. I like long lulls to drink in the atrmosphere and get properly unnerved with quick and sparse action beats to break it up, and DS flipped that formula on its head.
DS3, I never actually played. From what I saw, it was more like Gears of War than Dead Space, and thus totally uninteresting to me.
>>
>>258912404
not that guy but you can stop strawmanning now

having no means of defense is artificial horror
>>
>>258912286
I need to get around to playing Alan Wake, that game has a fucking god-tier concept combined with a really good atmosphere
>>
File: 580043.jpg (18KB, 636x361px) Image search: [Google]
580043.jpg
18KB, 636x361px
Scary to me CAN involve jump scares, but the jump scares alone aren't enough, as it's just the equivalent of a brother hiding in the closet going "Boo!"

Nah, scary to me is when you know something is out there and you know it wants to get you, but it doesn't do anything! That's what scary is to me. And it can end in a jump scare all it wants, as long as there's a foreboding sense of despair and fear that clings on to you for a good while before then.
>>
>>258911926
This guy is correct. What no one has actually said in this thread so far is that fear, in all its forms is birthed from a loss of control or presumed control.

In Silent Hill 2 you go from a controlled environment with a car and a view of Silent Hill into a long winding road with fog; you have lost control over your sense of security, sense of familiarity and sense of location.

In Alien, the metaphorical male-rape-birth scenes cause you to lose control of your pre-established notions.

The human mind is obsessed with control; we automatically assign things to boxes and categories and "round things up" to achieve extreme confidence. When those assumptions are somehow undermined, the only response is fear. Use whatever words you want; "dread", "terror", whatever. There are no true classifications.
>>
>>258892052
Horror is subjective; what could be hilarious to someone might be terrifying to the next person.

Sometimes it seems like some games think "jump scares" are the best way to pull off horror, and its almost easy to do it (I mean, otherwise why would so many screamers exist).

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people now think 'jump scares' are bad overall, which I disagree with. There's no real point to great atmosphere and brooding horror if there's no payoff or real danger. I loved FEAR, but I felt that was a prime example. Later, when supernatural enemies started showing up they were easy to kill; they provided no real threat, which ruined the horror part.
>>
There's an egglike game featuring shrek. At one point, there is a quote from the movie played at 2000% volume after complete silence. You will be startled by it, because it is loud. Does that make it a scary game?

No.
>>
>>258912814
The game play gets repetitious but I genuinely loved that game. Even the concept has been done before, but it pulls it off very well.
>>
File: 1396021787222.gif (30KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1396021787222.gif
30KB, 267x200px
>>258912969
euphoric
>>
>>258912619
DS3 doesn't have too many Gears-of-War parts to be honest. I can think of about...Five sections in the game, all of which are about five minutes out of several hour long parts.

The problem is that they didn't deliver any interesting new necromorphs, they took out way too many necromorphs, and they tried to do this thing with finding a planet that had already been infected years ago, meaning the necros are aged and green-looking, but they just look like they all fell into a big vat of paint.

DS3 screams that the devs wanted to make something befitting the series, but the EA suits got all over it. It's still a very good game in its own right, but it falls short compared to the other two.

It also featured the same chinese knock-off version of Isaac's Engineering RIG that Dead Space 2 had, and I can never forgive them for making it look so shitty compared to the GOD TIER appearance DS1's RIG had.
>>
File: i_won.jpg (310KB, 1200x667px) Image search: [Google]
i_won.jpg
310KB, 1200x667px
>>258892052
daily reminder to all of you that you CAN beat the 7th night.
>>
>>258913239
link
>>
>>258913264
What other game/movie/book is about a writer being hunted by cliche killers from horror novels/films that's not Alan Wake, because I'd love to play/watch/read it
>>
>>258912619
>Yeah, DS2 was alright at times, but it was waaaay action-focused by comparison

I honestly was surprised how much I enjoyed DS2, what I had heard about the action focus had put me off initially; I ended up enjoying it more than 1, and that usually doesn't happen regarding the type of horror games I like. I can't say I disagree with people that didn't like the change though.
>>
>>258912704
>Artificial horror

Having a gun and being able to blow everything in the face takes away from any amount of scariness a game might have. Like I said not fucking everything needs to have your character magically being a pro fighter or the greatest shot ever, Outlast was a great change of pace made by competent devs who actually knew a thing or two about horror. Hiding and sneaking away from beings/creatures who are clearly way stronger and a bigger threat than you are makes it way more immersive.
>>
>>258913313

Really quality post, you piece of shit. You added a lot to the public discourse. Way to undermine his points as well, they were totally stupid. You were the tipper all along
>>
>>258913348
I think almost everyone agrees that DS3 is a game that could have been an outstanding game, but EA forced way too much shit on them. Even still, Visceral did the best with the cards they were dealt.
Unfortunately the cards they were dealt were a 7, a yu gi oh card, $5 monopoly money, a jenga block and a paperclip.
>>
>>258913748
who the fuck said anything about guns

melee weapons would be enough

>Outlast was a great Amnesia clone

fixed for you
>>
File: 1408215984980.webm (2MB, 1080x608px)
1408215984980.webm
2MB, 1080x608px
>>258913424

>odor

So the security guard shit himself, right?
>>
I will be very surprised if no one has mentioned Amnesia's wandering horrors yet. It wasn't the jump that scared you - it was the knowledge that those fuckers could wander over to where you were hiding at any time and fuck you up.
>>
File: url.jpg (94KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
94KB, 640x560px
>>258913989
>the public discourse

6/10 not euphoric enough, should have said "the public forum"
>>
File: almasogood.jpg (74KB, 726x1000px) Image search: [Google]
almasogood.jpg
74KB, 726x1000px
>>258914098

I think looking away from anything in Amnesia as long as you weren't in plain view was too easy, hell sometimes you could be in essentially plain view as long as you weren't looking in the spook's general direction.
>>
>>258914083
the pink slip is from the animatronics themselves cause they're butt hurt you lasted so long
>>
>>258913589
Well I guess i'm referring to the aspect of what the writer is writing becoming true.

In terms of horror I believe Secret Window, Secret Garden did this, which was a novella by stephen king and later a movie with Johnny Depp. Regarding King, elements of that idea come into play with his Dark Tower series (which isn't horror, its basically every genre) with mixed success.

I know random detective stories have done it before as well, I'm pretty sure Castle was based off that premise.

Alan Wake certainly has a fresh take on it
>>
>>258912187
>Tv series
>Never seen the movies
>Face cam
Fucking Christ, dude...
>>
>>258914071
Clocktower 3 featured hiding in places and throwing chairs/lamps/whatever when you were cornered.

Guns, melee weapons, Fatal Frames' camera, something to defend yourself is important. I'm glad you understand that, anon.
>>
>>258912187
>that video
Holy fuck why is everyone on Youtube an unbearable faggot?
>>
>>258892052
>HURRR DURRRRRR I AM TOO STUPID TO THINK OF ANYTHING BUT A JUMP SCARE SO YOU ARE ALL RETARDS AND AUTISTIC FOR WANTING ANYTHING DIFFERENT HURRRRR
Commit suicide immediately.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 500x450px
>>258900342
Judging by the rest of the videos on that guys channels, he's probably played tons of horror games. It's just lame to see him hate something new just because it's popular.
>>
File: scared.jpg (145KB, 639x458px) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
145KB, 639x458px
What about the fucking Fatal Frame games. Anyone mention them yet? Force you to literally face your enemy up close to hurt it. And interesting take on fighting with different film used.

Also the Siren games. You have the power to see through the eyes of the enemy. Fucking creepy
>>
File: Embodiment of Despair.png (48KB, 904x624px) Image search: [Google]
Embodiment of Despair.png
48KB, 904x624px
>>258914707

It's a requirement if you're gonna be using a facecam, how else are you gonna appeal to the young demographic and make the big bux

It actually is a shame because some people like Markiplier change so much once they get popular into some completely different and fabricated persona and come across as tryhard unbareable fagets to people not in the targeted age groups.
>>
Imagine a horror game with no graphics at all, that relies purely on sound
>>
>>258904650
The original resident evil only had a couple of jump scares.
>>
File: haunted.jpg (58KB, 442x292px) Image search: [Google]
haunted.jpg
58KB, 442x292px
Black people should start making horror related things.
>>
Hourly reminder to report and delete all furshit
>>
>>258915326
I imagine people like those you describe aren't entirely insufferable faggots in real life, but once you've obtained a demographic, you have a persona to maintain to keep that demographic coming back.
>>
It might be that i'm just a lil pussy ass faggot, but i find the "dying" screams and moans in red orchestra 2 really creepy and they make me feel sick in the stomach
>>
>>258892052
Is this your first fucking game or something?
Using this shovelware as an example of horror because it resembles your favorite spooky house carnival ride is retarded.
Don't call people autistic when you don't know anything about the genre.
>>
>>258915739
Nah, plenty of people agree that the voicework in RO2 for death screams is fucking haunting.

Really good job on Tripwire's end finding VAs that could do that.
>>
>>258914098
Amnesia was a one trick pony. New room, pick up puzzle item, hide behind barrel for 5 minutes, rinse repeat. Amnesia stopped being scary the moment you noticed this.

There wasn't enough non-scripted moments. Like where the monster is facing away from you and you have to figure out how to distract it. Or that big red room where one is just wandering around.

I hear Penumbra is better and isn't so heavily scripted?
>>
>>258892052
>faggots say all jumpscares are be.

There is your answer. Jump scares are still a scare and initially effective. Knocking them is just something faggots do because they are very obvious without appreciating subtlety of the game.

There is nothing wrong with them but a game should have more than one type of scare.
>>
>>258892052
Jump scares do nothing for me. Straight horror is boring what gets me is atmosphere. Creepy sounds mixed with a creepy environment are what get me. For, example after the blair witch project came out me and some friends went to a local 'haunted forest.' We heard some noises that I'm sure were just some random animals but ever so often we could swear we heard someone talking, like they were just out of range but close enough.. we looked and looked and looked eventually we found an old shack.. it was obvious someone had been in it recently.. so we decide we'll sleep in it for the night. Nothing happens we wake up. We leave. We go back like a week or two later and there is a note that says, 'I saw you sleeping. Stay away.' Never went back. I'm black. It took a lot for me to do that white people shit in the first place.
>>
>>258916509
>No freaky skinwalker shit
>No supernatural elements
>Just camping innawoods and a spooky note

It's real shit like this that gives me the jibblies.
>>
>>258916509
>I'm black. It took a lot for me to do that white people shit in the first place.

This made me laugh much harder than it should have. You should of went back and tried to figure out what was up with that note.
>>
>>258916509
>>258916834
The issue is, this real shit is very hard to put into a game, because you can only get immersed so much, you will always know its just a game, even if its just a small part of you knowing that, since you lack senses some of the senses
>>
>>258910805
>not scared of spiders
Are you an Australian or something?
>>
>>258917302
Definitely. Real shit tends not to work too well in vidya. Unless it's part of introducing you to things getting weirder.

Throwing a player right into "EVERYTHING IS AWFUL AND SCARY AHHH" can throw people right off and make them very aware that they're in vidya. Subtle progression like a note or an implication of weird shit going on is a good way to instill dread.
>>
>>258899137
RE3
>>
>>258917637
I think one of the most important things to do, that to my recollection no game has ever done, isnt even about the game really, its about how they describe it. Lets say I was making a horror game about Day of the Triffids. If I call it Day of the Triffids players know exactly whats going on, who they enemy is, ect... If I call it 'Blindness' and as a description just put 'You have suddenly woken up to find you and everyone else blind. You wake up to screaming outside...' then players dont know whats happening, who the enemy is, I might say they touch a plant and they dont know what the significance of that is. Thats just one way to get the real life feel more into games, but it can never be fully done.
>>
I worked a couple of years as a ''scarer'' in an amusement park during halloween.

Some nights I worked in one of those haunted houses, and allthough I was not a fan of the ''press button'' for jump scare tactics(the lights go out and on or loud noises happen etc).

I could see that, it kept visitors on an edge, and that they had a bigger problem walking next to me(just in case I could move all the sudden).
>>
>>258917302
Not true at all. Amnesia, did a great job of atmosphere. Hell, TLoU had some moments that shook my bones. Like the bit in the basement of the hotel. My first time through I was actually worried about going around corners.. and then once they come down there you can hear them but you can't see them because they just sit there waiting for you. It was knowing that; that creeped me out more than anything else.
>>
>>258892052
Usually the feeling of powerlessness and being confined in a small space.
Combine that with an ominous figure popping up in the distance, not just in front of you, that's after you.
No music.
Quiet, low notes
screen shakes when the attacker gets close
Or you know, just be a faggot like you are and just have things pop up going oogey boogey or whatever.
>>
>all jump scares are bad
That's not what they're saying at all.
A jump scare is a tactic that's employed commonly in horror to keep your attention and link the terrifying things in the show to your fight or flight response. The issue is that some people, like the developers of FN@F, think that a jump scare is all that's fucking necessary to make a horror game memorable.
The concept of making completely innocuous things act like Lovecraft-style horrors and accompanying them with stuff like flickering telepathic images and over-the-top violence is now at the point of cliche. This game would be considered comedy, if it weren't for the fact that it actively tries to startle you. Does it scare you? Yeah, but just about anything can scare you in this way. Your kid could pop out of a box that you're getting ready to riffle through and give you a heart attack. That doesn't mean that it's particularly horrifying.
>>
>>258907637

I have read from the three and none of it was scary.
>>
I want the furshit to leave
>>
>>258892052
Freddy does scary pretty good, it's all about the tension.
There are jump scares when you failed but it's really just that, so I don't mind.

It's not:
walk down corridor
jump scare
walk down corridor
jump scare
walk down corridor
jump scare
walk down corridor
jump scare
walk down corridor
jump scare
walk down corridor
jump scare
>>
>>258918720
You're wrong, being scared and being fully immersed are two completely different things, and you can never be fully immersed in a video game, at least not with current technology, because of the technicalities of actually play the game with a keyboard and mouse, as well as the lack of senses such as smell, taste (since taste derives from smell, you usually have a certain taste in your mouth from certain places. A dusty place will give a taste for example), and most important, touch.
Im not saying you cant be scared of a game, but you can never feel fully immersed, and you will never get the same kind of fear from a game as you do real life.

At least, not yet.
>>
Whats scary is seeing a pit full of monsters you gotta deal with and they are your only way out.

Any situation where you just have to press forward into danger is scary.
>>
>can't remember if you were ever scared as a child
wonder what it is like
>>
>>258909927
>Pic related is enough to make you shit your pants in context.
Oh no a spooky button disappear because of Japan retarded myths
>>
>>258919687
Jeeper's Creepers terrified the fuck out of me, when I was little.
>immortal aerial predator that's strong enough to tear the roof from a car
>does the aerial predator thing and caries you back to its nest
nope
>>
>>258918958
It's a one-man thing and see >>258919196
I for one was more unnerved by the audio than the actual jumpscares.
>>
>>258893902
Jump scares create fear of more jump scares. Before the first jump scare if the movie/game is done right then the atmosphere causes fear of the unknown. Jump scares startle you and then you fear being startled again.
When people say jump scares aren't really scary or aren't real horror then they probably appreciate pyschological horror more which causes a feeling of fear and unnerves you without the use of sudden noises or visuals.
Both of these can be used to succesfully create a good horror experience and sometimes people prefer one over the other.
>>
>>258892052
I'm seeing images of these fucking bears everywhere. Where are they from?
>>
Anyone mention Bioshock?

I know, I know.

>Bioshock

But you have to admit that the plaster mannequin area was pretty well done.

You pass through a room with all the mannequins, when you pass through again, they are all gone. Starts the build up and the uneasiness. Then comes the basement, where there are mannequins scattered around. You start walking, hear something behind you, and there is a mannequin, which turns out to be an enemy.
>>
>>258892052
I'm seeing these fucking bears everywhere. Where are they from?
>>
File: 1402923379464.png (57KB, 192x175px) Image search: [Google]
1402923379464.png
57KB, 192x175px
>>258909254
Started reading Season To Taste after the recommendation of a friend, it's pretty good so far and the descriptions of the protagonist hacking apart, cooking, and then eating her husband whom she murdered are gut wrenching.

Regarding games, I think terror is more effective than horror. To me the horror is the pay off of a good build up of suspense and waiting; the possibility of what can happen is more frightening than the actual pay off itself.
>>
>>258922409
Five Nights at Zoe's
>>
>>258922409
5 nights at freddies

Indie horror game
>>
>>258922409
Plenty of Pictoseconds at Pablo's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLG3LHFRjgE
>>
>>258892052
>>258919196
>>258921120
The thing with 5naf is that it keeps you on edge all the time, scaring you of possible jump scares. It's really what people who're sick of cheap jump scares keep asking for.
Even if you never fail so you actually get the jump scares, the game is scary because of tension, creepiness and the feeling of vulnerability.
>>
>>258900043
>Slender does it poorly, because it's just LOL SPOOPY SCARE out of nowhere

You've never played Slender, have you?
>>
File: Blair_Witch_Project.jpg (107KB, 301x425px) Image search: [Google]
Blair_Witch_Project.jpg
107KB, 301x425px
There was not a single jump scare in Blair Witch Project and it is still widely regarded as one of the best horror films ever. How is this even an argument? You don't have to OOGA BOOGA to scare someone. You've never been scared of a situation?
>>
>>258892052
I think 5NAF did jumpscares right. They were truly unexpected aside from the forced ones when your doors gets locked.
>>
>>258908002
thats exactly what she does, if you'd played it you'd know that. you can't see her from the shadows on youtube videos because people got their brightness all fucked or the video is compressed or some shit
>>
>>258892052
People misuse "jumpscare" to mean "poorly executed scares" or else "empty scares"

There aren't any games I know of that manage to be scary without at least the threat of abruptly getting your shit wrecked. The problem is that devs forget the existence of anything but "jump scares," and so every single corridor MUST have something to jump out at you, fall over, make your screen shake, or just suddenly play a very loud violin note for no fucking reason at all.
>>
>>258923342
my parents always tell a story about how they saw this in a packed theater and everyone was laughing by the end. it is pretty bad.
>>
>>258922409
Boku no freddie
>>
File: 1402001407434.jpg (52KB, 910x912px) Image search: [Google]
1402001407434.jpg
52KB, 910x912px
>>258923342
>widely regarded as one of the best horror films ever
>>
>>258923342
>widely regarded as one of the best horror films ever
Topkek
>>
>>258922878
>get 4 notes without any problem
>see slenderman
>BUMMMMM
>run away
>spend rest of game decently avoiding him
>at 7 notes trying to find the 8th
>suddenly turned around for no reason
>OH MAN U DIED U FUGGD UP DIDN'T U
That's a shitty jump scare and a shitty game mechanic, I don't know if Arrival removed this but like fuck I'm gonna buy it to find out.
>>
>>258894364
That... actually sounds pretty terrible. It sounds like all that tension and paranoia buildup of having to watch the animatronics is released with a slow fizzle instead of a bang.

Even worse, you suggest resorting to gore to display horror. If there's one thing I hate worse than cheaply-done jump scares, it's gore without a point.
>>
File: 1374719922980.png (205KB, 379x301px) Image search: [Google]
1374719922980.png
205KB, 379x301px
>>258924784
>they cut you up because your full body doesn't fit inside the suit
>>
File: foxygottagofast.gif (954KB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
foxygottagofast.gif
954KB, 500x225px
>>258924784
This.

5N@F leaves the horrible details to your own imagination. and it should stay that way.

For instance, you know that if you are caught by Foxy, he'll be using his hook to drag you to the room where they'll stuff you.

Do you understand that?

He will drag you down the hall by his hook.
>>
>>258909927
>Elevator

The only dream I can ever remember is a tower with random horrors connected to an elevator that moves by itself.

Shit sucks. It's got to the point when I see an elevator in my dreams I immediately wake up as if my brain is just saying "NO FUCK YOU"
>>
File: gameover.png (326KB, 1000x537px) Image search: [Google]
gameover.png
326KB, 1000x537px
>>258925159
I think they do cut you up.

Because if they simply shoved you inside the suit, there is a chance your eyeballs would pop from the pressure of going up against something, and they are intact on the game over screen.
>>
File: 1407565873608.gif (983KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1407565873608.gif
983KB, 250x141px
>>258925192
Yeah, people talk about wanting gore in the game and I think that's totally unnecessary and misses the point.

In horror less is usually more. And that definitely applies here. Like I guess I've become immune to jumpscares or whatever but the scariest things about the game is the lore and all the little details. It's a slow burn type of thing that keeps you thinking for days after playing it. Having you realize horrifying shit about the game randomly when you're trying to go to sleep one night.

That's a sign you did something right.
>>
File: freddylore.png (948KB, 1024x1360px) Image search: [Google]
freddylore.png
948KB, 1024x1360px
>>258926321

They also don't stuff you into just any Fazbear suit. Looking in the back room, there doesn't appear to be any extra full Fazbear.

It's the one on the stage that wants you inside, the one that sends out the others, and when they fail, he decides he wants to be the one to do it himself.
>>
>>258926321
People are retarded. There's even been ideas about co-op shit.
The game is fine as it is and I'll just trust the dev to do whatever if he develops a sequel to this.

Most of /v/'s ideas are pretty dumb to be honest.
>>
>>258892052
A good scare is when a shitty game is miral varketed on /v/ all day
>>
File: blade-runner-1318535.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
blade-runner-1318535.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>258892052

You just need to get older. then you will know true terror. And it does not live on the unknown, death, monsters or other people. It lives deep inside you. An urging, an unsatisfaction that cant be destroyed.
>>
Where can I download this game?
>>
>>258911045
You're basically comparing two different styles of horror at this point.

FN@F utilizes a startling element and, using that as a trigger of avoidance, since nobody likes being startled, instills dread, tension and paranoia via the gameplay.

Whereas you suggest fill the ending with gore and a sound clip of realistic gore to make things unsettling, because that's what GORE horror is meant to do; unsettle. The game could be played through the same paths as the last, which are meant to build up tension, horror and paranoia, but instead of popping like a cork at the end, the dread fizzles off as you watch and listen to this gore-centric ending.

You either are startled or you are unsettled. At this point, it comes down to which is actually more effective at delivering an effective spook to convey to the player that you need to pick up your shit if you don't want this to happen again.

I, as a personal opinion, think the jumpscares in FN@F are well-done and well-placed in regards to what they do for the REAL horror of the game, which is about the tension, paranoia and feeling of dread that comes with staving off the startling element. I can't see a game like FN@F working better with any other elements.

It's a different type of horror. Not necessarily a worse one.
>>
>>258926708
Another thing about that pic - the man was innocent. They didn't want to believe that the free roaming animatronics killed those kids.
>>
>>258926823
>co-op shit.
>1 guy in control room
>1 guy has to wander around and check certain locks to make sure they don't break out
>guy in control room has to warn the guy about freddy but it takes up power
>scrambling to pick up your walkie talkie when you see foxy running for him
>they can still come after the guy in the control room

A little work and I could see it happening, it would never be as scary because you're with someone but keeping both people alive would be stressful as fuck
>>
>>258903097
Pyramid isn't invulnerable though.

You kill TWO of them in the game he first appears in.
>>
>>258927587

Retarded.

Name one scary co-op game.
>>
>>258927821
Like I said it would lose a lot of the atmosphere but at it would increase the stress and tension a lot
>>
>>258923342
Completely different sets of rules and nuances apply to videogame horror and visual movie horror. There are things that movies and games do that the other cannot. There are so many goddamn differences it's almost laughable to try to even compare them.

Actually, it's not almost laughable. It IS laughable.

Also, that movie was fucking terrible. The only good thing about it was the money they made from it; it cost them the accumulative amount of a months supply of fast food lunches to film and develop it.
>>
>>258928042
Guy, I get your idea, yes it would be completely possible, but there's no reason to try making a horror game less scary.

Not everything needs co-op for fucks sake, especially not a horror game.
>>
>>258897368
If i remember correctly there was one like that in the P.T
>>
>>258907778
>>258907945
>>258908125
>>258908875
>>258919104

Always see this kinda of shit, but you people never offer better alternatives. You could name some better horror authors like Ligotti or Stokoe, but you dont know any, instead just wanting to be contrarian faggots
>>
>>258914602
Why is it important? Seems to me like you're just being a pussy.
>>
>>258892052
FNAF had it down, just instead of the bears jumping out of nowhere at you, what if after the tune plays (when you run out of power) the bear just slowly moves towards you with a increasing amout of white noise in the background.
You can move around but you cant get away. It wont be as shocking but itd be way more scary.
>>
File: My wenus penus.jpg (561KB, 1367x1490px) Image search: [Google]
My wenus penus.jpg
561KB, 1367x1490px
>>258892052
>suspense
>build up
>pay off
>the pay off can be something entirely unsettling, rather than just being a full on scare
>>
>>258928419
I think it could work if the players have 2 different roles and playing methods, look at RE5, co-op killed that tension because it did nothing but double the fire power and made everything easier

If 2 people were working together like I said it would create a lot more scenarios where the guy in the camera room can easily get distracted by protecting the roaming man and allow chica to grab his ass and being alone out in those halls where your only help is your friend who can talk to you (when he feels like he can spare the power) would be terrifying
>>
>>258915152
What the fuck is off camera that freaks all these people out so bad?
>>
>>258929124
It's really not scary anymore as soon as there are 2 or more players though, which really destroys the purpose of freddy.
>>
>>258929365
I?????????T????????????'?????????????S?????????????????? ?????????M??????????????E????????????????
>>
>>258929019
I think the game would be better off this way. Gamers love to be scared, but they hate to be jumpscared.
Its why I love the original Silent Hill trilogy, scary as fuck but I can only think of one jump scare in all of them (in the borley haunted mansion)
The rest was on atmosphere and unnerving the player
>>
>>258929575
I think if the minimize the communication as much as possible to short "foxy is out!" and "freddy is in the room next to you go the other way" it could work, keep in mind they would be sending these messages as briefly as possibly to save power
>>
>>258918696
I went to a Ripley's Believe it or Not haunted house type thing. There's a bit at the end when you think you're done, and you're in a well lit, regular hallway, and a dude decked out like Leatherface busts through a doorway and chases you out. That must be a fun as hell job.
>>
>>258930127
They could just fuck with you as well, then you're just sitting in front of the monitor waiting for the scare.
>>
>>258924270
That's not a sudden jumpscare, it's a gradual buildup of tension. When you get the first couple of notes, he could be around any corner, or behind any tree, but he's still avoidable. By the time you get note 7, he's basically right behind you the entire time. Yes, you did fuck up by turning around.
>>
>>258927821
RE5

It was SCARY how much it ruined the Resident Evil forumula.
>>
>>258930492
imagine if the animals stood on the outside of doors of the room the guy is in, if he opens a door with an enemy on other side of the door it's over, and of course foxy will burst into the room of the roamer and it's over depending on how long he stays in one room

>3 exits
>keep getting calls
>"south"
>exit the south door to make your way to another lock
>check and lock
>other guy isn't picking up (dealing with new enemy who is designed to panic and distract him from roamer)
>no calls
>3 doors
>every second you wait hoping for a call is increasing the chance of foxy bursting in
>you can either make a random choice
>or you can wait
>make a wrong choice and it's over
>wait too long and it's over
>>
Why doesnt the guy just fucking dress up as one of them
>>
File: 1385079089633.png (60KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
1385079089633.png
60KB, 413x451px
>>258929049
>>
>>258908010
>picture
>>
File: guard why doesn't he just.jpg (158KB, 690x677px) Image search: [Google]
guard why doesn't he just.jpg
158KB, 690x677px
>>258931892
>>
>>258929049

top kekkles
>>
>>258931892
They dismantle all unofficial robots, this would include Foxy so that's also why he is hiding. Also I doubt they actually follow most kinds of protocall, I bet they just drag you into the kitchen and down a basement hatch for evil science.
>>
>>258922409
Six Days in Fallujah
>>
>>258931892
It's not shaped for humans to fit in.
>>
>>258932248
I havent really gotten that far into the game, but I didnt know about foxy
So he's an enemy of the others. Surely the enemy of your enemy is your friend
>>
>>258919836
>myths
nah, it's just a superstition, the japanese word for four is the same as death so it became a bit of a taboo to include the button 4 in elevators
>>
Jumps scares aren't bad. If used sparingly and well, jump scares are great. Trying to use jump scares too much is what's bad.
>>
>>258932096
>Why doesnt he turn the fan off?
I lol'd
>>
>>258932505
No, he's a violent psychopath who loves to kill humans
The famous "bite of '87"...
>>
File: foxie guard HUG.png (216KB, 600x721px) Image search: [Google]
foxie guard HUG.png
216KB, 600x721px
>>258932505
Careful, you are getting a bit furry with that.

Also there is some grounds for Foxy being a neutral character. When he gets you, you don't get sent to the "Game over" screen, just menu. No implied death. For all we know he takes you outside.

There is also that he'd want your help as he'd be dismantled by the other robots.
>>
>>258892052
Atmospheric horror, retard.
>>
File: Foxxyisbroken.jpg (359KB, 861x1188px) Image search: [Google]
Foxxyisbroken.jpg
359KB, 861x1188px
>>258932832

>Psychopath
>>
>>258932910
we already posted a picture of Jupiter :^)
>>
>>258932832
So he's not a robot?

>>258932883
But why doesnt he like the other robots?
>>
File: 'cause scary.jpg (72KB, 706x593px) Image search: [Google]
'cause scary.jpg
72KB, 706x593px
>>258892052
Freddy has bad jumpscares that can aggravate a player pretty easily, which leads to the player rejecting to continue investing himself in the fiction.

But the premise, fiction, and gameplay represent one of the best examples in horror in a long time. For a good number of reasons.
I've never realized just how insultingly stupid most of /v/ was about humor.
The people trying to desperately rip on this game are the ones who are really bad.
>>
>>258906443
Funny, I was thinking about the brown dwarf that is at a temperature of 83 degrees Fahrenheit and what it'd be like to have an oxygen mask on and going around in it and became absolutely mortified for no reason.
>>
>>258892052

Jump scares are good but are the laziest form of scares. They work tho.

But scaring by using the atmosphere, sound, illumination, all the ambiance. A heavy and intense moment, extremely stressful sequences without using cheap jump scares.
That is hard to do.

Silent Hill was the best in doing that.
The first 4 at least.
Fatal Frame is another one.
And fuck me, Forbidden Siren.
>>
File: foxie confirmed for out cast.png (12KB, 631x112px) Image search: [Google]
foxie confirmed for out cast.png
12KB, 631x112px
>>258933051
Pic related is one reason. He isn't even considered one of the robots. He may be left out for the shock of a new robot, but they really did make it clear he is no longer consider part of the group.
>He's broken, and not repaired
>Stays hidden and you'd need to never check pirate cove to get him first day
>Doesn't get visited by any of the robots
>He'd be dismantled if found by the other robots for no longer being an official robot

He's our closest thing to a friend in this game besides Fanny.
>>
I lost all respect for jump scares when I played fatal frame. Now that shit is scary.
>>
>>258927587
wee-woo...
>>
>>258933716
Is there anywhere I can find the lore to this game, it sounds interesting. I dont know who fanny is, so it might help me find out about that as well
>>
>>258933105
>humor
horror*
>>
I cant fucking click on continue, it makes me go back to the 1st nigh mr shitty pie
>>
I don't know if you have played voxelstein or not, it's a voxel version of wolfenstein 3d in which you can destroy the environment - leave bullet holes etc.

there is a secret room that contains a weird looking man throwing ping-pong balls into his mouth.

THAT is scary.
>>
>>258910348
>jump scares
>working
Nope. You see, as soon as I see something is ridden with jumpscares, I am prepared for them.

When I force myself to prepare for them, it ruins everything.

You keep your viewer/player in that thin line of "it's there, it's not", unknown should be the leading word here.

Using jumpscares is like handing out a free epic in an MMO. You instantly lose any sort of gratification since obtaining it required no effort, and so you quit the game because obtaining the epic loot is now devoid of any feeling, since it is given for free.

It's like having a combo in a hack and slash that combolocks an enemy forever, until it dies, and it's very easy/safe to execute. You will do that forever, and the game will suffer from it.

Everything interesting about the game just dies because this one thing is so "effective" in the short term, that countermeasures are being put in place to stop it from ever working again in the long term.

And this is why jumpscares are shit. The longterm is always more important.
>>
File: fan kun 3.png (66KB, 376x431px) Image search: [Google]
fan kun 3.png
66KB, 376x431px
>>258934027
The /vg/ threads are good for that, and Fanny is just what we call the fan desk.
VG: >>>/vg/77522086
>>
File: zadssfdsg.gif (2MB, 275x359px)
zadssfdsg.gif
2MB, 275x359px
Horror games are always 10/10 scary for me because I spend all my time playing it being scared of when I'll be scared.
>>
>>258933716
I'm not here to argue whether he's a robot or not, but I'm sure he just isn't mentioned in the game description to keep it a surprise. You don't even know about him until the 2nd night.

Stop reaching, seriously.
>>
>>258934347
Thanks mate, I love this deeper lore within games
>>
>>258934590
>deep lore
To be honest it's more, "vague lore". Lots of plot holes.
>>
any horror game that gets them in the mood that this anon does
>>258934371
It's not the games fault if it doesn't scare you if you try to act brave. The game needs your coorporation. It can force some tension though.
Things like, unknown consequence, confusion, and unsettling mystery can make a game scary. The problem is that it needs to walk between frustation and terror. if you lose more than once in a horror game it's not horror anymore.
>>
>>258934928
Just like Dark Souls and any other game /v/ praises
>>
>>258926313
i think they just removed the skeleton and replaced it with a animatronic one
>>
>>258934928
I said Deeper, obviously this will never be as deep as some of the bigger games, but just knowing a little bit more about the characters interests me
>>
Hanging scene from White Day
>>
Interestingly enough, it's not actual horror games that get me. Having said that, they obviously scare me, but what really fucking terrifies me are completely alien settings that look like something Van Gogh might have painted when drunk and on drugs.

Two examples come to mind - planescape torment, which to me felt more horrible than whatever hell a middle ages priest could describe, and zeno clash. Just remembering that guy with the heavy feet and orb on his head lumbering through unknown expanses sends shivers down my spine.
>>
File: titanic-bow-615.jpg (49KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
titanic-bow-615.jpg
49KB, 615x410px
I dont know about anyone else but one thing that always gets me freaked out is seeing shipwrecks/plane crashes underwater, especially if its deep under water.
Im fine with the deep ocean in general though.
>>
>>258933928
There is one jump scare in FFII though.
That fucking "Peeping Boy"

I thought Id just look through a random window, see if there was a ghost in the distance...
>>
File: 6 am you didn't die gj.gif (58KB, 700x540px) Image search: [Google]
6 am you didn't die gj.gif
58KB, 700x540px
>>258935101
Fair warning seems fair, if you look any deeper into the characters, and Foxy in particular (the one with the most character) you can knot go back. You may regret what you indulge in.
>>
File: outlast.png (113KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
outlast.png
113KB, 650x366px
>>258902514
>getting mad at Rise of Usain Bolt: Asylum Edition

Fucking sprinting through hallways at MAXIMAL SPEED and parkouring over furniture while holding the camera rock steady was the best part of the game.
>>
Shit like Ravenholm from half life where the entire fucking town is out to get you and you're vulnerable from all sides waiting for the tram to come spooks the hell out of me.
>>
>>258935469
I always do, but it somehow never stops me from doing it again
>>
>>258935257
Yeah but most of the game was tension based horror. It has been a long time since I played it but I still remember the first time I had to crawl under the floor boards.
>>
>>258935213
Shit dude
I have the exact same thing. It began two years ago where I had a nigthmare about being lost in a huge field that looked like van gogh painted it.

For some reason it scared the shit out of me, the entire dream was just me making my way over bushes to a windmill. I woke up feeling half sick.
I honestly thought I was alone on this
>>
File: 1392936811026.jpg (71KB, 655x369px) Image search: [Google]
1392936811026.jpg
71KB, 655x369px
>>258934347
>>
File: kaiji1.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kaiji1.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
I've always thought the concept of a regular non-horror game that becomes corrupted and haunted the more you play it to be a cool one.

Sort of like the BENDROWNS pasta, but actually manifested somehow.
>>
>>258936186
I realize its already a horror game but PT kinda had a vibe like that going on, where the house initially gets more and more fucked up.
>>
>>258936186
I could see that working.

I don't know why, but when you mentioned that, I thought of Earthbound, if only for the Giygas fight.
>>
>>258907637
Lovecraft only wrote one good story.
>>
>>258908070
>boom roasted
Thread posts: 517
Thread images: 91

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.