[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can horror games be considered fun? I don't mean they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 47

File: 0.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
Can horror games be considered fun?
I don't mean they're all bad, far from it. But they ARE supposed to make you feel as uncomfortable as possible.
>>
>>258247827
If a horror game utilizes cheap jump scares, its no longer a true horror game.

Modern games suffer from this
>>
>>258247827
Now how would you define fun? I think if fun as something that makes you smile and laugh
I'd say horror games are more entertaining than fun
>>
>>258248108

Jump scares are fine, an excessive amount however is not.
I mean what would be the point if a game had no jumperscares?
Why would you "fear" the atmosphere if nothing could surprise you?
It would be like a STALKER game but those are not really horror and after you discover that there are indeed no jumpscares in the whole game you won't be so much scared of exploring the laboratory anymore.
>>
>>258248391
A creepy atmosphere can be achieved without jumpscares.
>>
>>258248709

A creepy atmosphere is not scary if nothings happens.
Sure the first hour maybe the player will be terrified of everything.
After that it just fall down though.
>>
>>258248391
>I mean what would be the point if a game had no jumpscares?
It would be a good horror game finally
>>
>>258248709
But then again, if you know that there won't be any jumpscares anyway, then what's there to be afraid of? Doesn't it defeat the whole point?
>>
>>258247827
The real question is Are you ready 4 Freddy?!
>>
>>258248929

It wouldn't be horror.
>>
File: Too chivalrous for this shit.gif (118KB, 490x375px) Image search: [Google]
Too chivalrous for this shit.gif
118KB, 490x375px
Not fun, but entertaining.
Well a good horror puts you on edge and hence uncomfortable.
>tfw Condemned's Mall and Orchid House
>>
>>258247827

You have a nintendo manchild undertsanding of the word fun.

Some people don't have fun with happy bouncy time games. Some people have fun by overcoming challenges/their fears.
>>
File: i'a cosby ftagn.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
i'a cosby ftagn.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
The greatest fear is the unknown. It's a damn shame most games fail to utilize this. Instead, we're given cheap, predictable jumpscares, most of the time even knowing exactly what's coming. You don't need things to pop out at you accompanied by loud noises for a scary atmosphere. Here's an example,

>under water base
>wake up, shit's all torn up
>crew is dead
>losing pressure
>need to gather shit to repair submersible
>weird stuff happens
>corpses vanish
>doors open and close
>hear noises
>something might be in there with you

There. Spooky atmosphere without jumpscares.
>>
>>258249924

It won't be scary after a while though.
OH SCARY NOISES SOMETHING MIGHT BE HAPPENING BUT NOTHING EVER ACTUALLY HAPPENS
That's not horror.
That could be an action game or survival.
Jumpscares and sudden turns of events are a vital for an horror game.
"Everything is fine OH SHIT IS THAT ONE THOSE ROBOTS THAT KILL ME I BETTER RUN FOR IT" is horror.
"Everything is fine except for strange shit going on that don't really harm me" is not.
>>
R u reddy 4 Freddie XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtVrNdD3YA
>>
>>258249924
You're forgetting that video games aren't real life. If nothing happens, it's a safe assumption that nothing will ever happen, and all the fear goes away. You need some kind of punishment in horror to actually fear, and it can't be death.
>>
>>258250209
Jumpscares aren't that necessary, just "shit's gonna go down" moments

In SH2, every time Pyramid head appears, it's preceeded by a scraping sound, it prevents his appearance from being a jumpscare but it doesn't ruin the effect of terror.
>>
>>258247827
Fun for me is the rush of adrenaline I get from a monster closet, a creppy atmosphere, terrifying imagery, etc. It is different for everyone, but that's why I have fun playing horror games.
>>
>>258248391

The problem is lazily-made jump scares that just rely on sudden brickwalled screams. That shit isn't scary, it's just fucking annoying.
>>
>>258250643

It's still a sudden turn of events.
>>
File: cameraman.gif (540KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
cameraman.gif
540KB, 600x800px
>>258248709
I agree with this point.
There aren't any jumpscares in White Day, and it still managed to maintain a tense atmosphere all the way through.
>>
>>258250816
Absolutely, that part I agree with.

But shockscares a shit.
>>
>>258250812

Everything that is lazily made is bad.
>>
>>258250856
>speaking of jumpscares
>.gif

I'm scared, anon.
>>
>>258250209
>"Everything is fine OH SHIT IS THAT ONE THOSE ROBOTS THAT KILL ME I BETTER RUN FOR IT" is horror.

>"Oh shit that robot is walking towards me in this narrow dark hallway, it's getting closer, I better do what I need to do and book it before it reaches me."

Jumpscares are tolerable in horror in moderation. Building a game's atmosphere around them is the cancer that killed horror and spawned shit like Slender.

Have another example: The haunted house from VTM:B. No jumpscares, no real danger but still scary as fuck.
>>
>>258250856
>White Day

That Korean horror game?

That's a lie, mate, the game had plenty of jump scares.

Though it was still great.
>>
>>258251001
>The haunted house from VTM:B. No jumpscares

But that's wrong.
>>
>>258250816
But it's not a screamer.

>>258250643
I completely agree with you. I don't know how so many people disagree with this.
>>
>>258248709
But Creepy isn't Horror
>>
>>258251001
majority of it is jump scares. did you even play the game anon?
>>
>>258251001
>Say the haunted house has no jump scares
>Posts a jump scare
>>
/v/-semantics
>>
>>258251136
>>258251486

Pretty sure you're wrong. Everything that could possible jump at you was predictable as fuck. Rattling decor. Creaking sounds from the walls before the pipes blow. Not once does something pop out at you that you don't already see beforehand.

Right now, go play that shit again and tell me I'm wrong. I don't know about you guys, but I just played it again the other night.
>>
>>258251610
>any spooky thing == jump scare

Ok.
>>
>>258248824
A jump scare doesnt have to be the only thing that happens, its not the only scary thing in the universe
>>
>>258248935
Naw it's the feeling that something could happen that keeps the mood scary, you don't need jumpscares to define whats scary especially in these times where you expect them and once you find out there in there you just don't care anymore. But if you're walking down a dark hallway, and you know it's a horror game so you expect something to happen but the atmosphere is so tense and creepy the fact that you're waiting for something to happen is what makes it scary.
>>
>>258251715
first three things that happen to you. a chandelier falls out of nowhere. vases get thrown at you. you fall through a set of stairs. all sudden things that are meant to be "scary"
>>
>>258252326
The chandelier made rattling noises when you got close to it.

Vases glow and rattle when you get close to them.

The stairs I guess were fairly sudden, but still made creaking noises and such.

Aside from the stairs, none of those things are sudden, unless you're a fucking tool and sprint through the game at high speeds without taking time to look at things.
>>
FD@Fs is scary from the tension it builds over time. The jumps are the bomb built up going off.
>>
im glad to see more of /v/ accepting of jumpscares lately, its ridiculous not to have any
>>
>>258253236
Jumpscares are OK if they are used rarely, and appropriately.
>>
>>258251024
You got me, I pulled that entire sentence out of my ass.
I'm not very far into the game, so I haven't run into any yet.
>>
>>258252689
saying that there are no jump scares is a huuuuuge stretch. there's an entire section where you're running through hallway that has lights and doors bursting out at you. It's a good level that uses jump "scares" correctly.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 214x211px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 214x211px
Corpse Party scares me the most because it's a silent hill kind of atmosphere.
>If you die in here, then you are dead forever with the same pain you left with.
>death caters to your fear personally
>no escape
>despair
>>
>>258250643
This.

Amnesia had very few jump scares. It built up the atmosphere and when you heard a grunt's growl, you knew it was time to run.

Granted, when you learned out the grunt's AI worked the game lost all charm, but for the first part of that game, you were genuinely terrified.
>>
>>258251610
Wow, you're a pussy.
>>
>>258250643
I remember a part in Silent Hill 2 where there was like this noose on top of a platform. Basically the tension had been building that whole area and that room in particular made me feel really nervous.

When I finished the puzzle there was this scream that scared the shit out of me.
>>
>>258253703
Just get ready for having to listen to the same 5- second looped laughter for potentially hours on end.
>>
>>258254027
Fuck amnesia with their lantern shit
I get stuck somewhere and my lantern runs out. That's when I stop playing.
>>
>>258254072
>Doesn't count as a jump scare because it isn't scary

You're a faggot.
>>
>>258253995
And when you die there all traces of your existence are erased.
>>
>>258254383
Play the second one. Unlimited Lantern and instead of insanity controlled spawns, the enemies have patrols and vanish if they venture too far from it.
>>
Games like F.E.A.R and Doom 3 were scary to me when i was younger because i played them on a shitty ass computer so everything was really slow.
>>
>>258254359
Are you talking about the massive ghost tree?
Because that's precisely the point I stopped playing.
>>
>>258254027
I feel like Amnesia's affect on me was dampened because I played the game "wrong."

Instead of hiding in the dark every time a monster showed up I just ran to the exit so it would be gone.
>>
No jumpscares = game with dark theme. like dark souls
IE NOT SCARY
>>
>>258254785
Same here.

Seriously, fuck whoever thought that was acceptable.
>>
>>258254785
>watched a stream of White Day
>start hearing tearing noises
>streamer has to hide because of the janitor
>looks to the side
>white face slowly creeping up on him

Fuck that game.
>>
The entire Arsenal Gear segment in MGS2 was scarier to me than most of these indie horror jumpscare paloozas
>>
I don't think I've ever played a "fun" horror game. Good horror games, I feel like, are usually more about atmosphere and impressing you with how it can make you feel. When I used to play Silent Hill I would get scared or feel tense, but I'd appreciate it at the same time
>>
Devil May Cry is pretty fucking fun
>>
>>258254895
The first time I ran into that ghost I shat myself. Made me paranoid to go through that area for a while.
>>258254872
Some anon streamed white day and a good section of the stream up until the end consisted of him trying to get past that part.
I could still hear the laughing in my head even after I muted it.
>>
>>258248391
A really good example of really good horror without jump scares is the laboratory in Resident Evil 4.

You know the Regenerator is coming, it is in no way a jump scare, but god damn if I wasn't shitting my pants.
>>
>>258247827

Good Horror uses a mixture of jumpscaare, immersion, tension to scary.

FNAF builds up the pressure of meter managing, and tension trying to avoid the monsters. The jump scare are the bomb that goes off after you get caught.
>>
>>258255178
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And apparently the solution is that you need to find a key that sits, barely visible, on top of a doorframe of some tiny room, and then you have to solve a ball puzzle or something.
>>
>>258248391
>I mean what would be the point if a game had no jumperscares?
The point would be making a good game that scares the player with its atmosphere, not by having a screamer in it.

There's a difference between being scared and being startled. Jump "scares" aren't actually scares, you're just startled briefly.
>>
>>258256484
I think jumpscares can be used effectively as a setup to other horror.

You jump out and yell aboogaboogaboo every once in a while so that they're constantly tense and every noise they hear makes them think that you're behind the corner about to shout aboogaboogaboo.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
>>258254895
I'm watching Yamash right now.
What the fuck am I in for?
>>
File: 1407543706894.jpg (187KB, 854x410px) Image search: [Google]
1407543706894.jpg
187KB, 854x410px
I forgot what Horror movie it was because this was back in like 2006 but the director said jump scares should never be "the main course" but rather the small things that lead up to it. It's to put the viewer in a tense situation so when they actually do see the horror they're already tense and anxious. The same can be applied to video games; jumpscares shouldn't be the main scare factor, but something that helps build the player's fear up for the actual release of horror.

This makes sense too, because a game of nothing but jump scares will either start to just piss you off or become boring because you become jaded to it, and a game of just horror build up and then "oh no the spooks" won't be anywhere near as effective if you saw it coming a mile away.
Jump scares keep you on your toes so much that you're bound to fall over and the actual meat of the horror is there to give that final push.
>>
>>258253236
The only problem is when jumpscares have no actual danger behind them as far as the game goes, or are scripted to always happen at a certain level of progress.

A good jumpscare example is Ao Oni if you choose to hide in the closet while the oni chases you. The screen goes pitch black while you hide and sometimes it will flash the oni's face if he opens the closet and finds you. It's good because it's created by circumstances that you have caused for yourself, not something that the game developer dictated. That and there is the suspense of whether or not you hid in the closet fast enough and if the oni is going to open it and tear you a new one. Even if you already saw it before, you are still wracked with suspense just waiting for it to happen.

A bad jumpscare is when it's specifically scripted to happen at a certain point in the game. These are usually not dangerous or instantly deadly because they are required to happen so once you seen them already much of the impact is taken away.
>>
>>258248935
>jumpscares are the only scary thing ever made

I hate you and everything you stand for. The horror genre is dead.
>>
>>258258934
That's not what I said. I just want how else a game can be made scary. I am genuinely curious.
Try actually having a friendly debate once in a while.
>>
>>258257260
A jumpscare can be earned, but that doesn't mean that everything has to lead up to one.

Also I think people my be confusing "jumpscare" with "literally anything scary that can happen".

If you turn the corner and there's a creepy thing, it's not a jump scare. If you turn the corner and you screen flashes with a face on it, that's a jumpscare.
>>
>>258258934
I don't think you understand what he meant.

He didn't say jumpscares are the only scary things ever, just that some of them are necessary to make things work.

I disagree with him, but don't oversimplify his post.
>>
>>258259204
>>258259339

"But that's not what I said!"
>if you know that there won't be any jumpscares anyway, then what's there to be afraid of

So this doesn't equal "Jumpscares are the only thing that can scare you"? Things can kill your character, or make weird shit happen and not have to pop out on the fucking screen and go OOGA BOOGA BOOGA.
>>
>>258259691
>So this doesn't equal "Jumpscares are the only thing that can scare you"?

No?

Are you this dense?
>>
>>258259904
You are literally asking "what is there to be afraid of if there are no jumpscares?"

How does this not imply that you think jumpscares are the one thing that can scare someone?
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4KB, 164x123px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4KB, 164x123px
>>258260163
are you scared?
no, now fuck off
>>
>>258260163
First of all, I'm not that guy.

Second of all, you really are dense if you can't see what he meant.
>>
>>258260163
>"what is there to be afraid of if there are no jumpscares?"

There's a difference between this and:
>"if you know that there won't be any jumpscares anyway, then what's there to be afraid of?"

It's a very crucial difference and it's the reason why you're looking like an idiot right now.
>>
>>258260163
He's saying a creepy atmosphere isn't actually scary if you know nothing will actually happen. At least follow the entire quote chain before making silly posts.
>>
They can be pretty intense and exciting too.
>>
>>258260571
And the point remains the same, that even if you know nothing is going to go ooga booga booga, that nothing else scary can happen.

That losing the anticipation of being surprised by a loud noise takes away from everything else.

I don't fucking see how this shows any less that you seem to think that a jumpscare, or the anticipation of one (since you have to cram that in so much), can be the only scary thing.
>>
>>258260963
>if you know nothing will actually happen

For fuck's sake, am -I- the one who's not being clear enough here:

A jumpscare isn't THE ONLY SCARY THING THAT CAN HAPPEN. There might be NO JUMPSCARES. You can KNOW that there are NO JUMPSCARES. The game can still have things which are not, in fact, JUMPSCARES.
>>
>>258261413
Just close the thread and move on man. You're talking with children.
>>
>>258261635
I think it's just a misunderstanding on both sides and that I'm being too literal in reading the posts.

But I will admit that I did get a bit too upset about it, so sorry regardless.
>>
>>258261413
>A jumpscare isn't THE ONLY SCARY THING THAT CAN HAPPEN
No one said it was. That's why at least four people are calling you out on your post right now. He's saying jumpscares are necessary to create a tenser atmosphere. He even said an excessive amount of it can ruin a game.
>>
>>258262140
The one thing I was arguing was that there isn't a necessity for them to exist at all for something to be scary, and this does include when you know that there are no jumpscares.
>>
>>258262414
That's fine and all and I personally agree with you but the point is, saying "hurr jumpscares are the only scary thing ever" to rebuke someone when he never said that is fucking stupid.
>>
>>258262759
Yeah, I'm a fucking dumbass because instead of reading "jumpscares are the only scary thing" I should have read "knowing there are no jumpscares makes a scary atmosphere not scary".

Unfortunately they both imply something needs jumpscares to be scary so go ahead and stomp on my dick all you want, because it's still fucking retarded.
>>
>>258247827
How do the animatronics know the you're looking at the camera?
>>
File: fan-kune 2.png (66KB, 376x431px) Image search: [Google]
fan-kune 2.png
66KB, 376x431px
>>258263598
They just do. They can smell you, Fan-kune is spreading your sent around.
>>
>>258263598
if (viewing_camera) {
triggerDeath(robot_number);
}
>>
Resident Evil games are p fun
Though they're not really that scurry these days
>>
>>258263598
If the suits have shit in them already how the the robots manage to stuff you in them?
>>
>>258263176
>Yeah, I'm a fucking dumbass because instead of reading "jumpscares are the only scary thing" I should have read "knowing there are no jumpscares makes a scary atmosphere not scary".
At least we got that part clear.

>Unfortunately they both imply something needs jumpscares
True, but there's a fundamental difference between the two. You could've started that argument with him instead of starting your argument with inane bullshit like this >>258258934
>>258259691
>>
>>258264039
You answered your own question.
>>
File: 1321814750432.png (2KB, 168x144px) Image search: [Google]
1321814750432.png
2KB, 168x144px
>>258264069
Oh my fucking god, I thought I was the one being persistent here and yet the argument has literally ended and yet you need to have the last word. I'm fucking done. Reply to this post with "Good riddance." or something of the like and end it forever.
>>
>>258264396
Ha, you lost.
>>
>>258264396
But I want to keep talking to you anon.
>>
>>258264396
Anon you need to learn to let go and ignore shit on /v/, or hell the internet. Trust me your life will improve.
>>
File: 1408123984015.png (127KB, 657x552px) Image search: [Google]
1408123984015.png
127KB, 657x552px
r u rdy 4 foxy?
>>
File: impact.png (262KB, 411x444px) Image search: [Google]
impact.png
262KB, 411x444px
>>258264961
I'm always ready.
>>
Horror in general has been reduced to a shitty jump-scare-youtube-bait shell of it's it's former self.

Truly fantastic horror does not come from making something jumpy, or even traditionally scary.

The best horror games don't scare you so much as unsettle you, leave you something to think about and expose dark parts of human nature that we would all rather not exist.

The only good horror franchise is Silent Hill, 2 was the pinnacle, 1 and 3 were solid but that's it.

there are a few good stand alone games, the Russian one with shit translation that I forgot the name of is good, Song Of Saya (More of a visual novel) is another.

There hasn't been a good horror film in the best part of 15 years
>>
File: 1406732989462.jpg (70KB, 657x850px) Image search: [Google]
1406732989462.jpg
70KB, 657x850px
>>258263598
How does the animatronics get into a locked room?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TAM1nA0vI

Ignore the 12 year old LP faggot
>>
>>258256484
>There's a difference between being scared and being startled. Jump "scares" aren't actually scares, you're just startled briefly.

That's not entirely true, screamers, if you're aware of their presence, can be used to create tension before they occur, FNaF actually does this well.
>>
File: 4fa.png (214KB, 680x707px) Image search: [Google]
4fa.png
214KB, 680x707px
>>258249089
no one can be ready 4 freddy
>>
File: I've_seen_some_shit.png (41KB, 198x175px) Image search: [Google]
I've_seen_some_shit.png
41KB, 198x175px
>>258264961
>>258265220
>Manage Night 1 with relative ease, Bonnie shows up once to remind me that I can't just idle the first Night anyhow
>Too worried about Night 2 because Chica will join in the fun and Foxy will forever be ready to give me the knot from that point onward and i'll get Double Teamed and have to close both of the doors
>Then Radical Freddy will decide it's time to show up

>>258265523
Freddy's a rulebreaker, especially during later nights when he changes just about everyone's tactics to fuck you over.
Freddy and Yellow Freddy are the only ones who get past closed doors, but at least Yellow Freddy gives you a chance to escape him.
>>
>>258265523
Yellow Freddy can appear at random during night 3. You know he's coming when you see the poster with his picture in it (like in the video you posted).

I heard he can shut down the game if he feels like it.
>>
So what's the best horror game ever, /v/?
>>
>>258264039
this has confused me too.
Do they just push you into a costume until you're to the point of being mangled corpse?
>>
>>258265939
Slender, of course
>>
>>258265939
Silent Hill 2
>>
>>258265927
As far as we know, him crashing the game seems to be a bug.
Hell, the fact that the game doesn't mention Yellow Freddy at all adds to the surprise factor.
>>
>>258266041
get the fuck out
>>
>>258247827
>But they ARE supposed to make you feel as uncomfortable as possible
There should be a game out there about trying not to get molested
>>
>>258265962
>Do they just push you into a costume until you're to the point of being mangled corpse?
That's the whole point. Otherwise what would the danger be? They'd just put you in a regular costume.
>>
File: 1408140435589.jpg (21KB, 540x364px) Image search: [Google]
1408140435589.jpg
21KB, 540x364px
>>258265732
>Yellow Freddy
Whats this?
>>
>>258266207
It's called Violated Heroine.
>>
File: c7f.gif (93KB, 410x394px) Image search: [Google]
c7f.gif
93KB, 410x394px
>>258265523
they just do. it's a possessed (possibly demonic in nature) pizzeria what did you expect.

and 4 dollars an hour to pull night security at a haunted pizzeria is just not worth it, there better at least be some benefits. like life insurance...
>>
>>258266191
>He likes a game that I don't? SACRILEGE!
YOU get out.

>>258266280
See >>258265523
>>
>>258266280
Its a monkey, no idea why people are calling it yellow freddy when it quite clearly looks nothing like him.
>>
>>258266280
Some shitter who just randomly appears in your room and kills you if you don't go back to the camera quick enough
>>
>>258266393
>and 4 dollars an hour to pull night security at a haunted pizzeria is just not worth it
That always gets me. Why the fuck didn't he quit after night 1?
>>
>>258266280
Yellow Freddy is a rather rare Suit who can show up from the third night onward.
Sometimes, especially when you have doors closed, if you check your camera and see a poster with a creepily zoomed in Freddy Face and tab out of the camera, he'll be sitting in the room with you.
You get fucked up (and maybe even suffer a Game Crash due to a bug?) in a few seconds unless you tab back into the camera.
>>
>>258265356
How is Freddy different from the others? I haven't seen him in action yet.
>>
>>258266429
Slender was a shit horror game, it was the epitome of jump scare bullshit, it just did it slightly better than most games so people shat themselves
>>
>>258266505
>>258266440
>>258266429
>>258266637
Thanks, I havent seen that yet.
>>
>>258266687
didn't mean to quote
>>
>>258263598
The cameras have little lights that turn on so you can see through them, anon.
>>
>>258266687
Moves all over the place and doesnt follow a specific route to the room like the other animatronics which show up in set rooms and routes. Also can cap you from the other side of the restaurant if you hear the music an dont have the doors shit or something.
>>
>>258265523
Why the fuck don't the owners just destroy the animatronics?
>>
>>258253995
Yeah, but you're a weeb so enjoying pseudo-intellectual crap is normal for you
>>
>>258265523
Freddy get in as soon as you lock the door. He takes advantage of you not pay attention to him.

You can stop freddy from killing if as long as your power doesn't go down. Just watch on occasionaly, and keep track on him.
>>
File: 1405973423154.jpg (25KB, 629x403px) Image search: [Google]
1405973423154.jpg
25KB, 629x403px
>>258266571
Main character probably has a death wish and loves living life on the edge
>>
>>258265356
The thing about jump scares is that they're tried-and-true (they almost always have an effect), fear, especially when presented through media isn't universal, one type of atmosphere can unsettle one kind of person and yet have no effect whatsoever on the next, it really depends on whether it provokes and triggers the right set of attributes in you.

E.g. in my case, ghost stories, no matter how well thought out or unsettling, doesn't work at all for me, but anything involving the demonic and I flip the fuck out.
>>
>>258266571
>Illegal alien
>Lonely
>Broke as fuck
>Sergio kicked you out
>Somehow the thought of these bizarre automatons craving your presence comforts you out
>>
File: 1408130577631.jpg (156KB, 1218x864px) Image search: [Google]
1408130577631.jpg
156KB, 1218x864px
>>258247827
I think 5 nights at freddy's would be a bretty scary movie if done right. security guard stuck in a chuck e cheese with killer animatronics
>>
File: 1408120667084.jpg (133KB, 579x299px) Image search: [Google]
1408120667084.jpg
133KB, 579x299px
>>
Horror is a tricky and difficult genre to balance, if not the hardest to "get right". Making your character weak and basically defenseless could run the risk of frustrating your player, making the game feel like bullshit and spooky hide and seek in some cases. I think Silent Hill got it right with power vs weakness, since you definitely have the capability to defend yourself but with possibly long term consequences (mostly regarding ammunition), and fighting more than one monster at a time guarantees you losing a lot more of your health than if you took them on 1v1.

However there's more to making a horror game spooky or scary without making the player feel weak or make the odds stacked against you.

Anyone that can do horror well has my utmost respect.
>>
>>258266571
>Some guy casually recording messages about robots coming to life at night and trying to maim you to death by stuffing you into one of their suits.
>>
File: NIGGA.png (60KB, 1040x1640px) Image search: [Google]
NIGGA.png
60KB, 1040x1640px
Post yfw DOOR STUCK
>>
How do they put you inside the animatronic ?

like your guys eyes are hanging out in the game over screen

did they take you apart piece by piece?
>>
>>258268313
>game gets workshop mods that change the AAAAAAAAAAA scream to DOOR STUCK
>>
>>258268461
You're a genuine dicksucker!
>>
>>258268323
The moving parts inside the suits kill you, apparently.

Why does an animatronic have so much strength, enough to forcefully lift an adult
>>
>>258247827

I don't have a problem with jump scares as such. My minor gripe is they seem a cheap way of scaring someone, so it's good to keep it at a minimum.

to be honest though, I can't think of a game that has actually scared me for quite some time.

SH2 (PS2 version) for example has atmosphere nailed perfectly, but I wouldn't call it scary.
Amnesia also has excellent atmosphere, it probably would be scary if the monsters weren't so astoundingly dumb.
>>
>>258264961
Post the tits version of this
>>
>>258264961
>>258265220
I'm ready for both
>>
>>258268635
Animatronics don't give a fuck.
>>
Some people need to realize that "jumpscares" aren't just things that surprise you. A non-scripted monster coming around the corner and surprising you in STALKER or some shit isn't a jumpscare, just emergent horror.

So, you CAN be surprised without jumpscares, there just won't be any cheapshot attempts to spook you with skeletons popping out of closets at regular intervals.
>>
>Tfw no loli animatronic to peek through your door and ask spend the night in your room because she had a nightmare
>>
File: 1406692774935.gif (767KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
1406692774935.gif
767KB, 298x298px
>>258268313
Never noped so hard.
>>
>>258268830
pls no loli. Furry trash is bad enough, kid fuckers are worse.
>>
I remember this one part in FEAR that really sets up a jump scare pretty well.

>Searching rooms for supplies
>Door locked
>Well, I'll just go around to the window a--
>Body flies out of the window
>>
What makes a game scary is the fear of losing while all the scary shit happens, can be too hard to bear but what takes it further is that your character is in danger
>>
>There are people who think jump scares are always bad thing.

No, they are great when used well, they become bad when they are a crutch and you keep waiting for the next one.

Watch The Thing for some great jump scares.

I thought you'd feel that way Gary, you were the only one who could have gotten to that blood, we'll do you last.
>>
File: 6I9rk7P.png (166KB, 900x840px) Image search: [Google]
6I9rk7P.png
166KB, 900x840px
>>258268830
Ya busy tonight Mr Watchman?
>>
>>258269015
Ladder scare best scare.
>>
>>258269264
I always feel like jump scares are cheap. They often are just thrown in and the music is loud, it's all so easy. I have been meaning to watch The Thing though.
>>
What would you say to a horror game that has no antagonist? and instead just a really foreboding and depressing atmosphere to give you that feel movies like Eraserhead have. Obviously there needs to be some sort of gameplay mechanic and some sort of consequences so imagine
>>258249924
but instead of monster roaming around the air is running out and you are trying to fix it but as you go you have to pace yourself as fucking up causes the air to run out faster and there is no obvious hope for escape. no obvious "escape pod" so you aren't pressing on hoping for escape you are pressing on hoping to hold off death. I am not making a lot of sense here as I don't have any clear vision but hopefully you get the idea here.
>>
File: 1366401542203.png (268KB, 491x616px) Image search: [Google]
1366401542203.png
268KB, 491x616px
Why not just bring an empty suit with you so you don't die if you get stuffed in it
>>
>>258269954
They supposedly check to see if you have an exoskeleton in you, or they know that you're still human.
>>
>>258270064
But the guy specifically says the animatronics mistake you for an endoskeleton, which is the reason why they stuff you in a suit that already has an endoskeleton
>>
>>258270198
Dev himself says that everything the Phone Guy says may or may not be true, you can't believe every word he says.
>>
>>258270064
>exoskeleton in you
Exo means out you donut
>>
>>258269808
If you mean zoo by fucking anything that isn't the same species, then for a while now. If you mean zoo by actual animals with a clear lower intelligence and not being people, then they are equal.

Wanting to fuck Crystal from the star fox games isn't as bad as wanting to fuck a child.
>>
>>258269954
Does the guard seem like he could afford a fur suit? He took a job that pays $120 a week and stayed after the 1st night.
>>
>>258270618
And the guard (you) was also too poor to buy the game
>>
>>258259204
Play the first Silent Hill game.
>>
File: pc master race wins again.gif (2MB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
pc master race wins again.gif
2MB, 320x179px
I could have a fucking raccoon jump on my window and startle the shit out of me but that doesn't make the raccoon a master of horror.

If said raccoon could maybe scratch the outside walls of my house, produce foot step sounds, make sounds at night and chew up some electric cables to cut out the lights to begin to make me uncomfortable and suddenly ,when I am at my weakest and horror had already taken over me because of what it did just now, jumps on my window to deliver the punchline.. that would be horror.

But that is impossible since raccoon lack the basic brain power to do such things.

its just an example of why jumpscares are not horror
>>
>>258270797
This isn't just jump scares. It's the suspense. The jumpscares is just the bomb that was made going off.
>>
>>258248108
This issue is not some sort of "black and white" dichotomy.

The overuse of jump scares can indeed be annoying and sour the experience, but the over-reliance on a spooky atmosphere causes the game to be boring.

A horror game must have a creepy atmosphere to draw the player in, and the strategic use of startling moments that completely subvert the player's like jump scares must be used to retain a sense of urgency and unpredictability. The atmosphere sets to the tone and the sense of fear in the player that elevates the effect of something like a jump scare. It's almost like a "rising action," and the over-reliance on that rising action without properly executing a climax to it will eventually cause the player realize there is nothing to truly be scared of, like looking under the bed and realizing there's just your shoes and some old shirts or turning on the lights in a creepy, dark basement and seeing there's nothing in it. Conversely, the over-reliance on the climax with no regard for the rising action makes said climax completely lose its effectiveness.

And the climax doesn't even need to be a scary zombie face with a loud noise, it just needs to be a scary moment that the player did not initially expect, but the validity of a sudden startle as this unexpected moment is not nullified just because it is often improperly executed.
>>
>>258270797
You say that, but fuck animals. Have you ever had a squirrel infestation? It is seriously unnerving. They chew the fuck out of everything and scratch too. I had no fucking idea what they were before calling in someone to check, thought I was somewhere where the gates of hell were opening or something. Now those fuckers are masters of horror.
>>
>>258266571

But the main character is you anon...

Why didn't you quit?
>>
File: cody.png (133KB, 270x313px) Image search: [Google]
cody.png
133KB, 270x313px
>>258270797
Jumpscares only work really well when there's the build up you mentioned.

If you sprinkle them throughout, you're just going to get tired of them.

>mfw someone puts one right at the intro to the game
>>
>>258268313
What is "door stuck"?
>>
>>258272393
THE PHANTOM
EXTERIOR LIKE FISH EGGS
INTERIOR LIKE SUICIDE WRIST-RED
I COULD EXERCISE YOU
THIS COULD BE YOUR PHYS-ED
CHEAT ON YOUR MAN HOMIE
>>
>>258270797
Okay, now have that raccoon scare the living shit out of you for the whole night but not jump at you're window.

Kind of a let down right? All that suspense was just for show. So you know what I'm gonna do next time I hear sounds at night?
I'm gonna go the fuck to sleep cause I know it's probably just a fucking raccoon and it poses very little threat to me.
>>
>>258272393
in freddy's fantastic five nights, you need to check the doors constantly or the animatronics will jam them, usually they just walk in on you if you fuck around with the camera too long and attack when you put it down, but if they get the doors stuck, foxy or freddy will run your ass down
>>
>>258247827
To actually address the OP, No, but I think pure blind "fun" as the objective for all video games isn't really the best way to think about games
>>
>>258270797
go to bed mike
>>
>>258272708
The guy going 4-20 has nearly beaten it twice now.
>>
>>258272948

are you joking? Fun should always be the primary goal of a videogame. How that fun is had, whether through an entertaining story, fast-paced gameplay, the thrill of competition, or even the fun of getting scared, is what changes.

A game that isn't fun is a game that gets dropped.
>>
>>258274527
Horror games don't have to be fun to be good horror.
>>
>>258274640
but horror games DO have to be fun to be good games.
>>
>>258274913
You'd call Silent Hill fun? How about Amnesia or Five Nights?
Sure, they are interesting and engrossing, but I wouldn't call them "Fun"
>>
File: 1408080041396.png (700KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
1408080041396.png
700KB, 1067x800px
>>258274913
No, they're fun because we as humans enjoy getting strong sensations like fear from time to time.
Their goal is to create an experience as horrid and uncomfortable as you can imagine, not that this doesn't take a little genius to pull off either.
>>
>>258275213
Demonophobia is fun
>>
>>258275213
Games don't have to be fun to be good, they just have to be engaging. It's just that being fun is one of the easiest ways for a game to engage someone.
>>
>>258275843
Yes, that's my point. Engaging is good, but fun isn't the only way to be engaging. A game can also be thoroughly interesting or thought provoking. The third being almost impossible to pull off while still leaving it a "Game".
>>
>>258272708
what happens if you don't check the cameras or lights and just sit there? do they still get you? i just watched a playthrough, but was wondering if that's possible
>>
>>258276553
i'd have to try it, it sounds like a viable strategy to hide behind the camera if you're close to the end of your shift with some power to spare
>>
>>258276553
Freddie fucks you, Foxxie runs and gives you the knot.
>>
>>258276810
>ie
Stop
>>
>>258275843
yeah like arkham asylum

that very first scarecrow nightmare right away when you walk into the morgue it's just an overall creepy atmosphere

and then they make it even better when batman unzips the bag to find his dead parents and all that freaky shit starts happening with that voice whispering "get out of here"

that was really engaging and actually a little scary
>>
>>258276732
if you could try it and report back while the thread is still going that'd be nice

i just meant as soon as you start your shift don't do anything just sit there and see if they still come after you

they all start getting antsy when you look at them so what about just not looking at them
>>
>>258276993
>ie
What?
If you don't check cams either Freddie or Foxxy kills you.
>>
>>258277516
>Freddie
>Foxxie
>even using two x's
At least play the damn game.
>>
>>258277630
Oh whoops, that goddamn shitposter has my brain fucked.
Freddy and Foxxy.
>>
>>258251715

The first thing that happens before you enter the hotel is one of the lights exploding.
>>
>>258255287
fuck you fuck you fuck you i had almost removed it from my memory fuck you fuck you
>>
>>258277731
>still using two x's
>>
>>258247827
Just tried playing this, interesting game, enjoying the lack of power. Which by the way, this guy earns shit and their venue isn't even on the damn power grid, who the hell are these con merchants? Anyway, took a couple of games to figure out that I couldn't be browsing the security cameras all night without losing power before 6am, even then I'm checking far too often
>>
>>258277857
I thought that's how it was spelled? I haven't gotten to night 7 yet
>>
Horror moments in a non-horror genre game
>be younger me
>play Thief 2
>get to the part with those machines
>try to use club
whatthefuqwhereyouthinking.png
>stare at mini machine as it turns around and looks at me through its teal, little eye
>run away and hide as I hear it stomping down hallways
>see burning light from behind it
Show-me-your-moves.gif
>shoot water arrow
>it instantly shuts down
feelsgoodman.jpg

Deeper into the game
>running low on water arrows
sweatingman.jpg
>sneak through mansion
>no machine anywhere
>knock some guards down, steal some shit, progress through mansion at ease
>suddenly hear noise
"I'm the holy vessel that appeases the builder. Praise Karras"
NOPE.bat
>run to the nearest shadows feeling more anxious by the second
>take water arrows out
>wait and wait and wait
>realise I have to get to it because it's not coming this way
>sneak carefully around every corner
>see it coming towards me
>it's one of those big combat machines
>wait in the darkest of corners for it to move past me
it can't see me it can't see me it can't see me
>watch it move closer
"I will vanquish thy enemies. I will tear thy foes into pieces"
[Sweating man sprouts six arms]
>It moves past me
>take aim, shoot and realise in that moment my last rope arrow sails across the hallway
>close the game

I finished the game but those things are just evil. They unnerve me like no other and always put me in a state of high attention when dealing with them.
>>
>>258278074

it's spelled foxxxy
>>
File: 1370812923903.jpg (47KB, 384x423px) Image search: [Google]
1370812923903.jpg
47KB, 384x423px
since this is a horror game thread, did PT not "do it" for anybody else?

Horror games don't do much for me anyway, but PT was just exceptionally boring. I spent more time frustrated with the insanely obtuse puzzles than frightened. The only thing that "got" me were quick startles from the jump scares, and even then all those got out of me was an "oh, hi. you're here now."
>>
>>258251715
If you go to the far left as soon as you enter and go into a little hallway on the first floor, as you turn around to go the other way there's a 2spooky ghost jumpscaring you.

I feel like the only person who ever saw that shit considering it's actually kinda out of the way.
>>
>>258278476
Honestly I thought it was pretty cool, I know it isn't representative of the new Silent Hill at all but their use of sound was effective enough
>>
>>258278476
I can't speak for PT since I haven't played it, but I personally think insanely obtuse puzzles are fucking great in horror games.
>>
>>258278161
>Show-me-your-moves.gif
>whatthefuqwhereyouthinking.png
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>sweatingman.jpg
>[Sweating man sprouts six arms]
Kill yourself.
>>
>>258271204
You just definedon't the next Silent Hills.
>>
>>258278161
Who let 9gag in here?
>>
>>258247827
Why do people like eating spicy foods if they inherently make your mouth hurt????????
>>
File: 1371753091794.jpg (38KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
1371753091794.jpg
38KB, 268x265px
The thing about making a good horror game is that the genuine fear doesn't come from monsters or the environment/atmosphere (but they help), it comes from your limitations as a player
Usually they limit your resources and safe spots, but the truly scariest games are the ones that are actually difficult to play, I.E. Resident Evil, since it made it difficult to fight enemies, reinforcing the threat that they are and making it so that you really don't want to die, like making it a long ass distance from the last checkpoint
So in a way, you have to make the game as little fun as possible to make it scary
>>
>>258279251
>9gag
>greentext with names of pictures are a theme outside of 4chin
What has become of this place?
>>
>>258279251
>9gag

This is how /b/tards write now, but I guess you could argue that /b/ is full of 9fags anyway.
>>
>>258251610
A jump-scare is something pretty much thrust into the viewer's face. The Haunted House has lots of sudden, weird shit happening, but it's more fleeting, middle-distance or obscured, like seeing the husband behind you when the wife says 'hes's coming'
>>
>>258280147
I see people doing this on fucking Facebook now.
>>
File: CELEBRATE_The_Nose.png (15KB, 476x956px) Image search: [Google]
CELEBRATE_The_Nose.png
15KB, 476x956px
>>258278476
I love horror games and found PT to be pretty engaging up to a certain point. It really feels more like it's a commentary of modern horror; it does every trope and cliche in the book up to 11. It SHOULDN'T work, but it does. Just like modern horror games. and films

Except for the jumpscare, which was ALMOST done decently. It's cheap the first time, but then you start to fear it happening again. It builds tension on itself until you're used to it happening, or figure out how to avoid it.

Basically, it wasn't a good horror game for someone who just wants a scare/paranoia trip. It's pretty good for someone who likes to analyze things on a meta level though. Especially the ending where it essentially calls itself and other games out for using these tools in stupid and overused ways.
>>
>>258247827
I honestly think this game is a step in the right direction in terms of utilizing jumpscares. They're not just sprinkled on top of a linear experience, they're based entirely on your input, which really puts the pressure on you not to fuck up.

I realize FNAF isn't the first to do this, but modern horror games needed a reminder like this.
>>
>>258280270
>/b/tards write now
>now
But it's older than that

>>258280503
I didn't know that. Well, shit
>>
>>258280503
i find myself using arrows on skype and in games now...

what has /v/ done to me
>>
>>258278852
To a certain extent, but PT was designed to take a week to crack so its especially obtuse.

I did smile at one of the picture scraps being hidden in the brightness menu, though. That was classic Kojima.
>>
>>258267138
>Corpse Party
>pseudo-intellectual
How the fuck?
>>
I have lots of fun with good horror games. Especially when something successfully builds up tension and then scares you.
At first I'm afraid, everything but the screen darkens, the back of my neck and my thighs start to thingle and then when something happens my body feels "fuzzy" all over and then I smile and get an adrenaline burst. It's a good feeling. I feel strong, invincible and satisfied something spooked me that wasn't just a jumpscare. Oh and my hands. My hands feel tingly when something happens too.

I find Japanese horror games do this the best. I don't wanna sound like a weeb, but it's true. I don't think an American game has ever made me scared as an adult. DOOM on the PlayStation scared me as a 10 year old, DOOM3 got me cautious at most when I played it but games like Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Calling and Resident Evil REmake. They all got me that feeling I was playing for.
There are a lot of good horror games on the Wii but most are Japanese only.
My recent one was Project Zero II Wii edition. Even when random ghosts spawn, it gives me that buzz. Wandering around the graveyard and I pull out my viewfinder and hostile ghosts spawn.
Wandering around the first floor ot Kiryu mansion and I look into the small open room to the right when you enter the house through the viewfinder.
It just works so well. Shame DreadOut didn't get me. What a boring game. The Screamer Prostitute ghost was the only one that got me. I knew there was a ghost but couldn't see it and then I walked into it without knowing. But I learned its gimmick and it just never got me. None of the other ghosts were scary.
P.T. got me good a few times and after hearing that breathing down your neck. I just learned to never 180.
>>
>>258281101
>I did smile at one of the picture scraps being hidden in the brightness menu, though. That was classic Kojima.

Didn't know about this. That's really fucking neat.
>>
>>258281515
Yeah, you have to pause the game and click the right stick and it'll zoom in and do the Ground Zeroes "FWOOSH CHHT CHHT" noise. It's a wonder people didn't figure out Kojima was involved right then and there as if the UI wasn't obvious enough.
>>
Post some Five Nights at Freddy's gifs/webms.
>>
>>258275759
how's jail going for ya anon
>>
>>258253995
>If you die in here, then you are dead forever with the same pain you left with.
That's pretty common for dying and turning into a ghost.
>>
>>258279162
I just what?
>>
Must play horror game. Pc
Will pirate right now and play

My sanity is in your hands anons
>>
>>258283407
The only good horror games on the PC I can recommend are console games
>>
>>258283407
Five Nights at Freddy's
>>
>>258283407
Outlast was pretty good if you can put up with the main character being a fucking idiot.
>>
>>258268145
If you wanted to sell such a manuscript it'd work better as a low-brow comedy with a couple of tense moments and a few jump scares. Not genuine horror but that's not what the modern audience wants.
>>
>>258283407
Obscure, Nosferatu:Wrath of Malachi, Afraid of Monsters
Trying to think of things that wont be obvious
>>
File: asssd.jpg (218KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
asssd.jpg
218KB, 1280x960px
>>258284263
>Nosferatu:Wrath of Malachi
Fuck someon else played that? I remember it being good but not much else.
>>
>>258283407
Deadly Premonition. The spooks that game grants are intense
>>
>>258284570
DEADLY PREMONITION.EXE HAS STOPPED WORKING
>>
>>258284854
THE SPOOKS ESCAPED FROM THE DAMN GAME. SO SPOOKY. SO INTENSE. Seriously though, that game is fucking wonderful
>>
>>258282476
What's wrong with Demonophobia
>>
>>258285120
The game is. But the PC version is fucking awful. It's so buggy and unstable that it crashes. Surely you've heard about it.
360 is the only version that lacks framerate issues and bugs. PS3 is fucked up too, terrible framerate and smoking doesn't progress events sometimes.
>>
>>258285417
I haven't played the PC version but yeah I've heard it's pretty bad. I have it on the PS3 and it isn't unplayable but it's not perfect, there are certainly framerate and sound issues
>>
>>258285350
you know very well what's wrong with it
>>
File: 2spooky.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
2spooky.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>Play first night with relative ease, know what was going to happen
>Still get spooked but ended around 4am with like 20% power so I just shut the door in the Chicken fuckers face for most of the night
>Night 2, ok I think I can do this, both of them will be coming for me but I'll be ok
>Keep losing track of Bonnie and Chica
>Frantically checking the lights and the corridors, completely forgot to check on Foxxy but he left me alone, thank god
>Chica just fucking stares through my window for the entire night past 3:00am, never fucking leaving
>Bonnie keeps popping in and out and Chica WOUDLN'T FUCKING LEAVE
>5:00am, 5% power
>Chica still there
>3%
>CHICA STILL FUCKING THERE
>1%
>BONNIE SHOWS UP AND CHICA IS STILL FUCKING THERE
>Slam door, immediately after power runs out
>Darkness envelops me for a full 30 seconds
>Freddy the sadistic fucker shows up and plays his little tune
>5:00 -> 6:00
I was literally shaking I was so scared. And it was only night 2. I can't imagine what I'm gonna do for the rest of the nights. Goddamn, this game is fun, if way to fucking spooky.
>>
File: Tintin.jpg (4MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
Tintin.jpg
4MB, 2480x3508px
>>258283407
Dark Corners of the Earth is all you need anon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGo0qzAxdAw
>>
I think that the Fatal Frame series is the perfect example of horror vidya. It does everything right and yet nobody talks about it. Pussies would rather bring up shit like Amnesia or some other trash. Maybe the new one and that new Silent Hill can save the horror genre from the unfinished PC game hell it's in right now. All in all I think horror games are pretty fun; but maybe I'm just strange. I might get too much of a thrill out of being scared. I watched part of a playthrough of PT and caught myself smiling a few times.
>>
File: dead_bady.jpg (24KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
dead_bady.jpg
24KB, 612x612px
The fun in a horror game must come from progression and overcoming your fear.
Therefore a good horror game needs 3 things.
1: The atmosphere in itself should make you want to leave
2: Means of survival should not be abundant and the player needs to often be contested
3: The story has to be interesting, to make the player want to continue.

Silent Hill games have all of those and it's why many consider it a great horror series.
>>
>>258267865
Rl demon shit gets me too

I'm a succvker for possession
>>
>>258287265
We share the same opinion on this, the atmosphere, sound design, enemy design. Everything, really. It's just perfect for what it is and does. I love them so much.
I liked the part in PT where the area went red and the corridor was infinitely long, confusing and the screen was blurred. That was just a moment where I went "that's abstract and cool". Surprised the walls didn't turn to flesh, though.
Not hoping for it but I have to admit, I like it when games do that properly (DOOM and the original arcade SplatterHouse for example)
"an abstract kind of hell" comes to mind.
Play for the same reasons. Here's my post >>258281358

>>258267865
>>258287883
When Hell and Demons are involved. I always think of DOOM. I can't feel about Hell any other way than having a traditional, marble floors and walls. Stone and wood with gothic "design".
That hell and the totally fucked up hell you see in later DOOM (being fleshy) is just so good.

Also, the representation of Hell in Shadows of the DAMNED. Ya know? Like, old fashioned London with cobble-streets. That kinda hell is also cool.
>>
>>258287265

Fatal Frame 1 and 2 are brilliant games, I've never played a game with as creepy of an atmosphere as the mansion in FF1. That said, Amnesia isn't really a bad game - it gets tedious but it had pretty good sound, atmosphere and enemy design.

The problem with games like Outlast and Amnesia is that they offer no way of fighting your aggressors, which means you never need to confront them. In every encounter you will be expected to either run or hide - and since you can't advance without doing this, eventually you'll find yourself just deliberately getting caught so you can start the encounter over.

This is poor game design because having to actually confront your enemies adds to the horror. Fatal Frame understood that - when you went into that dark room you knew you'd have to sit and look at some fucked up ghost in the eyes as you took pictures of it. When you walk into a dark room in Amnesia you know you'll probably just have to run out of it and go back when the enemy despawns.
>>
how do I even play Silent Hill 2 on Extreme? Jesus, James Sutherland can't have a break.
>>
File: 1281923869157.jpg (39KB, 695x599px) Image search: [Google]
1281923869157.jpg
39KB, 695x599px
So...
Who's wants to dump Junji Ito in another thread?
>>
>>258290775
Yeah, wondering this too.
>>
>>258290775
No thanks, not this time.
Most of his stories aren't very good and end really poorly. I like his art and some times there are really creepy things. Long-dream was cool, but then it just got weird quick. Gyo... was alright but the movie it got was SHIT
The one where that muscular guy kept turning gravestones... was dumb.
He's really hit and miss. Fuan no Tane often has poo stories.

I'll admit, alright. If some of that shit were to happen to me. I would probably be super surprised and freaked out. But it doesn't and those comics just don't work all the time.

So again, no thanks. Not this time.
>>
So what happens on night 7 of Freddy's Fantastic 5 Nights? Anything interesting?
>>
>>258291793
Night 7 is a Custom Night, where you can set the AI Levels on each of the animatrons.
You also get fired for tampering with them.
>>
>>258247827
A good scare from time to time is fun.
That's there are such things as crop field tours and fake haunted houses
>>
>>258291909
Ohhh. So you can make it insanely difficult?
>>
>>258292245

Yes. You can set each enemy's AI from a value of 0 to 20. Setting them all to 20 will probably get you killed in about 10 seconds.
>>
>>258292517
I wanna see this happen.
>>
Depends on your state of mind. If you go in as a scared 9 year old, yeah, Amnesia is fun. Most people over that age figure out the quirks of the game, the rules, what triggers what.

That's why I really enjoy P.T. It's hard to figure out the rules of the demo, it's difficult to replicate something you think you did.
>>
>>258292245
>>258292517
The AI Levels go like this.
>0-2
Laughably easy, or they don't do anything at all.
>3-6
Medium, not too hard, but they're still simple.
>7-12
Difficult to keep up with, especially with other Animatrons around similar levels.
>12-19
You're basically asking to get fucked.
>20
A?????r?????e????????? ?????????y??????o??u???? ????????????r????????????e?????a??d????????????y???????????? ???f????????o???????r???????? ???????????F???????r????????e????????????d?????????????d?????y??????????
>>
>>258292517
and players are already getting close to accomplishing night 7. guy on twitch had 27 seconds left before 6 am (20 on all)
>>
File: 1403916442523.jpg (127KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1403916442523.jpg
127KB, 500x667px
If you were making a horror game, how would you handle the scares?
>>
>>258293415
Atmosphere, "enemies" not always in the same spot depending the time you enter the area. Mindfucks. Jumpscares are random events which have a chance to trigger but only if you do specific stuff. From walking under a broken beam and a plank of wood triggering to fall and making a clank, to a ghost which falls off instead and begins an attack.
Mostly atmosphere and random encounters through a timer, however. There would be scripted sections. Maybe have it be a single player game, but if they're connected to the internet, do a "Demon's/Dark Souls" thing where you can see other players running (but they look like ghosts to you) and sometimes "fights with ghosts" are actually players encountering players, who think they are enemies in their own game but they're actually a player. So invasions without saying it's an invasion.
>>
File: 49560.jpg (472KB, 1302x1021px) Image search: [Google]
49560.jpg
472KB, 1302x1021px
>>258293415

No scripted shit. Every situation the player gets themselves into is their own fault and it's up to them to deal with it. The horrific monster chasing you isn't going to stop being a problem just because you ran away and hid in a cupboard - you need to be smart enough to formulate a way of dealing with it that you can execute under pressure.

Five Nights got this right because in theory the game isn't that hard as long as you don't panic - you just need to be quick enough at navigating the cameras and pushing buttons and confident enough to not chew through all your power. The problem is the game makes people so paranoid that they screw up and die.

I would also really like to see a game set either in the deep sea or really deep underground with giant monsters. I really can't think of anything that scares the shit out of me more than a gigantic eldritch horror next to you in the pitch darkness.
>>
>>258284469
game was repetitive as hell, but the chapel looked pretty cool.
>>
THAT FUCKING RABBIT JUST SCARED THE GOD DAMN LIFE OUT OF ME.
5am. Day 2. Thought I was safe. God fucking damnit.
>>
File: browse.png (23KB, 234x184px) Image search: [Google]
browse.png
23KB, 234x184px
>>258293415
You know how every indie horror game these days is "you are being chased by a thing and it gets loud when they show up"?

I wanna make a shitty indie horror game where you're being chased by headless dudes and you have to collect their heads. The heads scream at you and are generally loud and annoying, but get quieter when the enemies are close to you, because they're trying to sneak up on you.

If the enemies are in the same room as you, the game will be completely silent except for your footsteps.
>>
>>258294797
Like a reverse silent hill radio.
Also, what the hell is this Freddy thing? I'm seeing it a lot. Some kinda horror game which plays like NightTrap?
>>
Anyone streaming
>>
>>258293415
I would go with something like 'Cabin in the woods'. What I mean is that the game would be set in a secluded cabin but would contain different experiences with each play through, you could be facing something generic like a zombie apocalypse survival nightmare or you could something more subtle with a spooky child in a white dress, alternate dimensions, horror sustained with effective sound use, children laughing and playing - you know, generally unsettling stuff.

Basically each episode would play out differently and would require the player to adapt their play style to keep going while utilizing their knowledge of the medium.
>>
>>258294975
Pretty much. Just look it up on YouTube.
It's available on Desura for 5 dollars. It's pretty fun.
>>
>>258294975
NightTrap? Was that the FMV game where you set traps? Kinda, I mean you have security cameras but no traps. Just two doors, two lights and a gerbil in a wheel for a generator.
>>
>>258295256
>NightTrap? Was that the FMV game where you set traps?
You had quite a few screens to look at which are set up in rooms. You can set off traps for people who invade the areas of the house but you gotta look in the right places at random times.
Quite outlandish. Very unique and unlike most of the SEGA CD games which were "cinematic" having recorded footage for cutscenes. The whole game is a cutscene.
From trapping invaders in the shower which turns into a gas chamber to turning the stairs into a slide and they fall into a hole with smoke coming from it.

Anyways. Jumpscares? What are the gameovers like?
>>
>>258295790
There are jumpscares in a sense. I mean, I jumped. I've not 'won' the game yet, if there even is a winning. In my last game I was close to the end of the shift and lost track of one of the mascots, I was searching for him but my power was low, I pull down the security feed and the fucker was in the room with me. >>258294695 is just after said event. It was my own fault, I got careless. Another gameover was due to a power out, I had too much going on at once and my power drained too god damn fast, then Freddie had his vile way with me. It's a fun game, tense and strategic. Biggest problem is why this idiot took the damn job
>>
Where can i pirate this freddy game?
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 636x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 636x361px
Hey, sup bro? Dropped my shit.. my bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYRindmDbo
>>
On Night 1 can you just keep the camera on 1A or will Foxy activate?
>>
>>258297587
Jim sterling did one of the first night and it was kinda dull, shit doesn't really happen on night one
>>
>>258298050
>>258297587
Where can I download it for myself?
>>
Anybody have a gif of the fox running past the camera?
>>
File: 1408075284650.png (775KB, 565x600px)
1408075284650.png
775KB, 565x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-av7xd2Llk
>>
File: 1dy3gr897241rn.png (248KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
1dy3gr897241rn.png
248KB, 500x616px
>>258299351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6cFdmDeY0s
>>
>>258300056
>shilling your own videos

I hate what /v/ has become
>>
>>258300332
they probably won't get paid and I doubt anyone would circulate their videos
>>
File: 1403843114454.jpg (32KB, 237x304px) Image search: [Google]
1403843114454.jpg
32KB, 237x304px
>>258300332
>Shitposting in a good thread
Bitch, you have no right to complain.
>>
>>258286862
The same running out of power and Freddy's face showing up thing happened to me as well, I think that might be scripted.
>>
Depends if you considered being spooked to be fun
>>
File: Nuoh my god.jpg (44KB, 311x334px) Image search: [Google]
Nuoh my god.jpg
44KB, 311x334px
>>258255287
>Look through glass.
>Door is locked
>It's laying on table.
>Go retrieve item from next door room.
>Come back out.
>It's no longer there.

That was a long night for me.
Thread posts: 294
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.