[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could it be possible to make a stealth game with a portal gun work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: portals.jpg (83KB, 575x632px) Image search: [Google]
portals.jpg
83KB, 575x632px
Could it be possible to make a stealth game with a portal gun work?
>>
>>258159759
In Dishonored you could teleport, and that's close to the same pronciple. It would work pretty well, actually.
>drop in from above
>one portal beneath an enemy, the other over a huge pit
>distract them through the portal and run up behind as they wonder what the fuck is going on
>>
bumb
>>
>>258160305
Principle. Fuck.
>>
>>258159759
I suppose if you wanted to you could but it would be quite hard to miss glowing blue and orange portals sound like a really cool idea though
>>
>>258160305
Just imagine a game where you can finally fuck with people using portals like you do in the comics

>Make eye contact through portal
>"I'm coming for you!"
>Runs through portal
>Right before entering, change the exit right in front of a fire
>>
>>258160305
Oh fuck, I also just realized you could catch them in an infinite loop and then launch them with momentum.

>>258160510
Maybe these portals are more... discreet.
>>
>>258160684
Imagine that splat
At very least, a sandbox game like goat simulator where you eff around with people using portals. That would be entertaining.
>>
>>258160684
Like a moded version of the potal or something that sounds amazing but ops question was would a stealth game work with the portal gun from portal if im not mistaken
>>
>>258161364
If the outline is only visible to the player then it can be rather discreet. I think it be rather realistic for a person to take a long time to notice a displacement in space, it takes me a while to notice the obvious.
>>
>>258159759
It's been done already.

>What is the turret section in Portal 1

But a full-game based on the concept would be cool.
>>
>>258161774
Yes it would take me a while to notice that also it would kinda depend on if who ever you were trying to sneak around knew about the guns existance or not plus what about the noise the portal gun makes every time its fired
>>
>>258162796
If within audible range, guards will pay more attention to surroundings, looking for portal.
>>
>>258163276
That would be a great game mechanic you would have to hide and wait for gaurds to walk off before using the gun then this game has to happen
>>
>>258164212
If I can ever force myself to get back into coding, I'll at least try to do something
>>
>>258159759
Couldn't someone just mod the source engine?

Surely it wouldn't be that hard.
>>
>>258164925
Yeah, but was Stanley Parable a walk in the park?
>>
>>258165102
>walk in the park
Well it sure as hell wasn't a video game.
>>
>>258160684
Maybe instead of the orange and blue things around it, they could be warped light being sucked in from the surrounding environment.
Like heat waves on a road but in a vortex.
>>
>>258165172
Sorry for the trip faggotry, my brother got on my computer and was playing risk again on /int/
>>
>>258165172
Clearly visible, yet still hard to notice unless really observant.
>>
>>258164829
That would be an amazing game ive been thinking of looking into game devlopment for a while now so if i can get my head around it all it sound like a great project
>>
Is this basically how Katawa Shoujo started?
>>
>>258165280
nobody fucking cares if you use a trip unless they are autistic or a redditor

people seem to forget that tripfags were the #1 creators of original content and fun threads a decade ago.
>>
>>258166529
>decades ago
Those were simpler, happier times, anon.
>>
>>258160305
And it worked terrible for an actual stealth game, blink was so OP that even the highest difficulty (not that it was that difficult) was meaningless. What you are describing isn't a stealth game in the least.
>>
>>258168423
Yet it felt pretty cool and badass.
>>
>>258168423
Calm down friend.
>predatory stealth
>hide and seek stealth
There's a difference.
>>
>>258159759
Why is his shirt yellow?
>>
>>258169034
I personally prefer the predatory stealth better. You are the nightmare, the one who stalks through the shadows to kill everything. I always wanted to be the monster in those kind of horror films.
>>
>>258159759
If they made no noise and produced no light, they'd be godlike for sneaking around. You could teleport behind someone, shoot a portal up on a wall, and drop them out of it like Noob Saibot.
The game might actually be too easy.
>>
>>258169397
Yeah Dishonored was fun.

I really want to get into stealth games more because I'm a baby when it comes to the genre. Which is more accessible/good:
>Thief
>Deus Ex
>>
>>258169034
One is a game with stealth as an option, and one is a game where stealth is the main course. Lots of games have a small smattering of stealth, that doesn't necessarily make them good stealth games or stealth games at all really.
>>
>>258169557
well at first you figure they be surprised but eventually theyd figure out youre using these portals to infiltrate whatever the goal is and adapt to it with like traps and shit
turrets, non-portal surfaces, holograms, maybe armor that keeps guards from being dropped into portals, shit like that
>>
>>258169557
Remember, you can only shoot portals onto moon based surfaces. There could be a level of difficulty of finding said surfaces and possibly in maintain supplies to create portal surfaces.

>>258169658
I've never played thief, but I do know the newest one shouldn't be touched. Deus ex is a fun one, though. It's around $20 on steam. The AI is really easy to get past, though. If you get caught, go behind cover and move, they immediately think you're gone instead of blindly shooting if you stay put.
>>
>>258170335
I checked today. Deus Ex was like $7 I think, so was Thief Gold.
>>
>>258170302
They eventually get no fall boots
>>258170412
We might be talking about different Deus Exs then.
>>
>>258170514
Are you thinking of the new one?
>>
>>258170514
So then we'll need to splat them against walls. Because boots only protect if they land feet first
>>
>>258171220
Yeah, Human Revolution
>>
>>258171356
Forward momentum never harmed us in either portal, should that be something added?
>>
>>258171495
Maybe enemies could have different armor that would protect them from different attacks? Like body armor shit will protect from forward momentum, but they'll break their backs when dropped.
>>
>>258171873
Wait, how would launching people at terminal velocity be stealthy? I'd imagine there would be lots of screaming.
>>
>>258172192
True, it would draw a lot of attention. And as long as you were far from there, you'd be in the clear, as other guards would come running. You'd be able to distract them all and sneak by, or pick them off one by one as they spread out to find you.
>>
>>258172192
They'd know youre messing with them, but have no idea where you actually are, just that their coworkers keep falling to their deaths in a narrow corridor, and be scared shitless
>>
>>258172428
Or use their screaming to
Your advantage as you use them
As a giant flying decoy.
>>
>>258172619
So they all run after their buddy who was sent flying, screaming across the map.

But if it didn't kill him then he could lead them right back to you.
So you have to be carefull about how you do it
>>
>>258173005
Unless he didn't see you.
>>
>>258173005
just need him unconscious
>>
>>258173143
True,
Maybe the area he was in before he was shot.
Then they spread out from there
>>
>>258173225
Think he'll run out of oxygen to breathe and just become unconscious from falling? I remember something similar to that in physics class.
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>258173326
I have no idea. But I did think of something:
>get guy in isolated hallway stuck in infinite loop, falling
>he's screaming his head off
>others rush in and crowd around
>shoot top portal into a wall nearby
>human bowling

>pic was captcha: weoffer both
>>
>>258173696
This game is going to need some nice ragdoll physics then. It gave GTS IV a lot of appeal
>>
>>258174050
What's GTS IV?
>>
>>258174629
Grand Theft Smoothie
who steals cars when you can steal drinks?
>>
>>258159759
This is an interesting idea
>>
>>258176305
And there's no doubt that it would be a fun one.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.