[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people studying game design What makes you laugh with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 29

File: eddy laughcry1.jpg (39KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
eddy laughcry1.jpg
39KB, 640x464px
>people studying game design

What makes you laugh with video game culture?
>>
>not studying something you like
>>
Butter-toast!
>>
>Americans have to pay for shit education
>>
>>258045761

>paying to study with scam colleges because "mom its what I really enjoy"

Get a real job studying modeling or programming
>>
>>258045761
Why you would study game design instead of general Computer Science/Software Engineering is beyond me.
>>
>>258045882

>Americans have the best colleges and universities in the world
>"lol fag u have to pay for them tho"

That's probably why they're better than your budget education.
>>
>>258046105
pffft
>>
>>258045761
Following your dreams doesn't work today if your dreams don't make you the money you need to support yourself.
>>
>>258046105
I dont want to turn the into a eu v us thread, but American colleges are in gnerall below average. But then along with every country, you have your prestigeous world renown colleges.
>>
>>258045581
Know what makes me laugh? That after all these gens, all this time, all this information being out there and freely available, console wars still go on. I remember kids arguing between the Genesis and the SNES, the PS1 and N54, the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox, the 360, PS3, and Wii, and now the Wii U, Xbone, and PS4. The two big competitors are more alike than ever before, yet still we see "X Fags got BTFO" every time an announcement for your preferred console comes out.

I've been playing video games for two decades, and console wars will never fucking change, and you fucking idiots keep buying into it. You lash out at PC users for having a good, flexible platform, while deciding that a nice, well-built PC isn't a worthwhile investment for general usage, and clinging to a single console as the be all, end all of video games, thus depriving yourself of whatever experiences you see on other platforms that you want.
>>
>>258046983
It's good that you don't remember computer wars.
>commodore... more like common dork
>PC kid please go home
>>
>>258046983
I know a guy who is 30-something that fanboys the fuck out of PS4. Doesn't attack nintendo, but PC and the bone are completely irrelevant and anyone who thinks so is a retard.
>>
>>258046101
>>258045982
Ideally wouldn't someone want to still take game design classes, just not major in it.
>>
>>258046105

The elite university are better in the US, but then they are filled with foreigner and your average colleges and universities are not better or worse then any other in the first world except that you have to pay a shitload of money.
>>
>>258048047
Don't forget the books.
>online codes
>>
>>258045581
When people say "video game culture".
>>
File: 1406661115772.gif (172KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1406661115772.gif
172KB, 400x400px
>>258045581
>not going to tradeschool.

You're playing a dangerous game anons, I hope you actually can land a job when you leave your school.
>>
File: 1406427736692.jpg (51KB, 680x823px) Image search: [Google]
1406427736692.jpg
51KB, 680x823px
>>258045982
>>258046101

>le ideasguy maymay
Yes, if you're going to make a video game you should probably learn how to design one. If not then your game is going to be ass.
>>
>>258045581
>all software development educations got renamed to game design for some reason
Well at least it attracted a bunch of retards, the education is still the same as before though.
>>
File: 1408019411967.gif (2MB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
1408019411967.gif
2MB, 250x220px
>>258046105
>>
>>258045581
I admittedly want to make games someday but that's why I'm currently trying to learn programming. I'm actually having fun with programming too so even if I don't end up making games I'll hopefully be able to get a job I enjoy regardless.

I dunno what game design courses entail but I suppose they really are meant to just complement what you already have or will have in the future? As in teach you about how games are designed, made and such but not actually teaching you how to make them from scratch.
>>
>>258049949

MiT and Stanford are consistently ranked the best in the world aren't they?
>>
If you can't figure out how to develop a video game yourself, you probably shouldn't be in the industry at all.

I can't imagine a worse hell than getting a video game degree then working for Bioware or a similar company. I'd much rather have a decent day job and figure out develop my own stuff on my own time.
>>
File: l.webm (152KB, 853x480px)
l.webm
152KB, 853x480px
>>258045581
What do they even reach you there?
>>
>>258045982

>paying for school

where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>258050221
The global university rankings are based solely on the ammount of research a university puts out each year, so it's essentially meaningless for assessing the quality of education you are gonna get
>>
>>258050286
>reach you
teach you*
>>
>>258045581

>Making your hobby into a job

I will never understand those people. Do you want to kill the joy of playing videogames? Because unless you forever stay indie, going into a big videogame company will kill you on the inside.

I'd rather keep my hobby and my job separate.
>>
>>258050256

So you'd waste time figuring out what people probably far smarter than you already figured out long ago?

I'd never hire you if you think wasting time like that is wise.
>>
>>258045581
How do you expect to make games with out a degree? Some people can't teach themselves things and need the structure schools provide.
>>
>>258050540

Those people are the ones that give up and switch careers too.
>>
American colleges are for partying, networking, and fraternizing with the elite in order to secure yourself a good job and social status in the future. (Unless you're going to be a doctor, then you actually have to learn stuff.)

Any other "community" (read: poor people) college or similar program is a waste of time and money because it gives you a shit education and only serves to steal your tuition money to pad the failing education economy's pockets.

Everyone I have ever met who went to college and has a good job has it because someone they met in college got them that job.
>>
>>258050206
Most game design courses are shit you'll find in most trade schools or shitty universities. They will usually not teach you very well or even if they do, the degree they offer will not help you get a job as much as any CIS degree will.

On top of this having a CIS degree will you give you the benefit of having a lot of options of what you want to work on, in case you cannot get into video games, a highly competitive field where everyone and their mother works.

If you want to work for video games, my opinion is get a CIS and major in Network security or similar. That is a recommendation from my teacher that made me double major (Software Development and Database Administrator) and I don't regret it.
>>
>>258045581
>not studying game design
How does it feel to miss out on being involved with the industry?
>>
If all these indie games are what happens when people don't study game design, I want more people going to school for it.
>>
>>258050814
Feels good to live in a contry with free universities.
>>
>>258048658
>Implying I'm not going to College for lack of better things to do
>>
>>258050912
You tell me.
>>
>>258047886
I took introduction to game design as a one off unit

It sucked and I really wish I hadn't wasted my time on it
>>
>>258050814
What if I'm going to Community college just for my generals since its really close to my house?
>>
>>258050994
...damn, realized this is me too. Been during Summer and Fall semesters and working in the Spring, but I still feel like a NEET and don't know what to do.
>>
>>258050908
>If you want to work for video games, my opinion is get a CIS and major in Network security or similar.

I see a lot of job postings at game devs that say a maths degree is required.

It sad but true that maths students, and some engineering students, are usually better programmers than computer science students.
>>
>>258051084
That's what I'm doing, and fortunately the real college is 10 minutes closer than the cc, when I'm ready for that.

Lot of niggers from east st. louis though.
>>
>>258050908
I'm only learning the basics so far but yeah, I was, if anything, thinking of doing something like you said rather than go on a game design course, at least until I know I can program well and know I can get jobs in other fields. Even then I'd of course do some research, don't want to go to a shit school/course that doesn't actually help you at all after all.

I feel pretty stupid and dumb learning programming since I seem to not grasp the basics as fast as I'd hope but I still enjoy it and hopefully I wont be shit at it forever
>>
>>258050814
>poor people
my heart anon

I did go to my city community college so I can transfer to the CIA so I could become a chef. That has worked out so far so I can't say community colleges are the worst idea, especially with my shit high school grades.
>>
Funny thing, the most successful game designers dont even have degrees even remotely related to video games.
It's all about who you know, as usual, theres zero need in the market right now for entry level game designers.
>>
File: 1407007939133.jpg (17KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1407007939133.jpg
17KB, 313x286px
>>258045761
>really like eating pizza
>take a university course in making pizza
>only pizza places will hire you when done

>really like eating pizza
>take a university course in becoming a chef
>can go anywhere you want afterwards
>>
>>258050814
lolwat.
A 2 year degree at a community college these days is easily completely transferable to a university and can be almost entirely paid for with FAFSA. 100% paid for if the college offers community benefits for living in the same city.

If anything is a scam its most universities, aka failure farms. Less students every year and tuition prices keep rising.
>>
>>258051404
Yeah, usually game designers start as testers or something.
>>
>>258050286
I hate how moonfaces think that making some bitch a clumsy, stuttering, incapable moron, is "kawaii."
>>
>>258052054
Do you even know the context of the scene
>>
>>258051313
Well math is required to a degree in programming, but honestly anyone who had a decent high school education should be fine.

Though from experience I haven't really had a run with requiring math degrees. Maybe it's something exclusive to game dev. Example first listing on linkedin gives
http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/17759974?trk=jserp_job_details_text

>Required Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.

>>258051347
It's not magic, you're not going to wake up one day and realize, "I can program." It's going to take a while, just keep going at it. What are you learning right now?
>>
>>258051084
The only reason I would ever recommend community college is for an associates degree (far cheaper and will get you an entry level job over high school dropouts and bachelor-degree people. If you have a bachelors and are applying for a $10/hr job people look at you funny). Getting generals out of the way may seem smart, but not all credits transfer, and most colleges won't accept credits that are 5+ years old (I went back to school and had to retake basic English because my university wouldn't accept it). Unless you know exactly what you're going to do with your education I wouldn't do anything at all. I know people who it took 8-10 years after high school for them to figure out what they wanted to do for the rest of forever, but now they can't do it because they went down a different college path when they were young. It's incredibly frustrating and difficult to change majors and career paths in America because the culture stresses so much figuring out your entire life by 18 years old that many people actually believe if you haven't done that then you are a degenerate person. Tldr: don't start paying for education and gathering credit hours until you have a concrete plan for the future.
>>
>>258051642

>less students

Thanks to Obama and the recent University of Texas decision, you're going to have loads more unqualified niggers at upper tier colleges.

Sad thing is that they will deny a dude who got a much higher score than a black kid just because he's a white male.
>>
>>258052246
Unis have been doing that before obama, anon.
Long before.
>>
File: l.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>258052054
Don't worry, Lisa will make herself useful in the next episode. Nobody knows she's helping the terrorists and that makes her useful,

Or at least I hope she doesn't fuck up and gets caught or something.
>>
>>258052120
No but I don't really have to since practically every anime has the chicks.

It's annoying since I know that I would enjoy anime if I were more of a socially rejected autistic freak but I'm not so I have to sit hear and wonder who the people genuinely enjoying these characters are.
>>
>>258051570
>Be chef
>plenty of openings at chinese restaurants
>don't get hired because whittu piggu

Because only "chinese people" can wok properly, what a joke.
>>
>>258052054
But in their culture, where the typical male fears the typical woman, such insecure women are considered attractive because they are "easy prey". Just like here, where gullible women are attractive for a lot of men because the chances to talk them into something are very high.
>>
File: 1406697911914.jpg (45KB, 600x745px) Image search: [Google]
1406697911914.jpg
45KB, 600x745px
>>258045982
>OP says studying
>you proceed to conflate studying with college
>>
>>258052397
normalfag pls go
>>
>>258052149
C# as of now along with some webprogramming in ASP.NET. I've at least learned from experience and my teacher that google is indeed a programmer's best friend. Helps to at least be able to look things up when you're unsure of things.
>>
>>258052397
I think you're overgeneralizing, though such anime do exist.
>>
>>258051352
I'm really glad you're going to the CIA. I researched going to culinary school and that's really the best one out there (love that they're non-profit). I have a friend who went to Le Courdon Bleu in Chicago and immensely regrets it (she's working at a grocery store in New Zealand now, so it's not all bad but she's still poor). I hope it works out for you! You're making good choices. *thumbs up*
>>
File: lel.png (135KB, 218x265px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
135KB, 218x265px
>studying video games art
>>
File: 1hitko.gif (478KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1hitko.gif
478KB, 280x210px
>>258052819
>Goes to culinary school
>joins the CIA

What are you gonna do, cook the terrorists dinner?
>>
>>258052545

>When OP's post directly talks about taking "game design courses"

Learn how to read you fucking moron.
>>
>>258050814

>(Unless you're going to be a doctor, then you actually have to learn stuff.)

Med student detected, also you're wrong. You need to learn stuff to get the certificate, pretty much all or none of what you learn in med school can be thrown out depending on the practice you choose. Primary care? Fuck it they use nurses for that shit. Surgeons also need to know surprisingly little, which makes sense since they're basically the jocks of the medical world.
>>
>>258052819
Maybe I'm a terrible person, but this sounds so sincere that I assume you're joking, the thumbs up doesn't help.

Regardless thanks, two semesters to go and I'm finished. I'm currently working as an apprentice the school help me get, so hopefully I can get something a little better than a grocer though.

>>258053389
It's just a cooking school that has amazing initials.
I have told many people I'm attending the CIA and have yet to tell them what the initials mean. It makes my career path sound a lot more glamorous than it really is.
>>
>>258053640

The CIA is a really good culinary school, don't undersell yourself!
>>
>>258052454
if you spent more time working and less time complaining maybe you would have gotten the job
>>
>>258053640

One of my colleagues previously worked for a 3D industrial graphics design company with the same initials. He tricked me, too.
>>
>>258052454

Asians are the most racist of all, film at 11.
>>
>>258053438
Look at your post. You just put a quote up that includes a word -- courses -- that does not exist in OP's post. You are attempting to argue that he posted something he did not, and you are inventing a quote to try and back up your position.

The reading problem is yours. He only says studying. Want to study? Go to the fucking library.
>>
>>258053487
Military training is the same. Oh you're trained to weld? Get on that Humvee once a month. Oh you're trained to operate the radios? Get on that Humvee once a month. Oh you're trained to assemble and work on 5.5 million dollar repulsor engine for an F16? Get on that Humvee son.
>>
>>258050221
MiT and Stanford are not every college and university in America.

Also, those Universities use English based ideals as most of them are Older than America itself.
>>
Friend of mine got an associates degree in game design 3 years ago. Hes 30k in the hole and working at Buffalo Wild Wings. Sure school was fun for him vs me going for nursing but I hardly work and make more then enough to live. He is living in his moms basement.

Zach, I know your browsing /v/ right now You are a faggot but also bring me home boneless wings
>>
>>258049643
>Look up Software Engineer at local Uni.
>It's shit, handles tons of boring crap nobody likes.
>Look up games Design, Learns Programming beyond HTML5 and Java.
>>
>>258050814
>getting indebt to your country only for educating yourself

and people still think america is the first world

top kek
>>
>>258053725
Don't make me chop you up and throw you in the bullion triad style motherfucker
>>
>>258053809

Books are lost on fucking morons like you who get upset because they get called retarded for wanting to major in video games.

Backpedal all you want OP, you look fucking dumb.
>>
>>258053487

>doctors are medics

lol
>>
>>258052454
In their defense, if I walk into an eatery that specializes in a specific country. I expect to see chefs primarily from that country. I don't want to see a bunch of mexicans when I eat Chinese food, likewise I don't want to see a bunch of asians when I eat Mexican food.

It's a silly notion, especially how easy it is to learn how to make anything from anywhere, but I do think it when I walk into a restaurant.
>>
>>258054147

Primary care is a sweet gig for a doctor. Make six figures treating nothing at all, and occasionally providing a referral.
>>
>>258054137
>Took a Bachelor of Science in Video games development.
>Work on my own as a contract Graphic Designer.

Fun fact, Programming isn't the eaiest way to work for Vidya games.

UI artist is.
>>
>>258053928

so what are you saying that countries should be judged by their absolute worst colleges and universities rather than their best
because that seems stupid and pointless
>>
>>258046105
Is that why every american brags about studying in England?
>>
>>258054353

I'm happy you're satisfied having one of the single gayest diplomas a person could ever achieve, I bet your parents are really proud of you.
>>
>>258054254
>go eat chinese
>asians
>go eat japanese
>asians
>go eat italian
>asians
>go eat mexican
>asians

Such is life in Sydney.
>>
>>258050454
As someone who does work in vidya design, it does kill your joy a little. You'll anylise every little thing in a game and hate most of them.
>>
>>258054353
I'm assuming that requires an art degree and I hold those in the same level of contempt as I do music degrees
>>
>>258049143
This bullshit needs to stop right now. I have several friends who studied game design, and they learned a shit ton of arbitrary board game rules and design philosophies to the point where all they can come up with is turn-based browser or mobile games. FUCK THIS SHIT. You don't need to study jack shit to design a good game.
>>
>>258054502

As an engineer, even I get annoyed by some of the improbably physics and mechanics bullshit in some videogames.
>>
>>258054369
They should be judged by the average like any sane person does.

>>258054437
>Gayest diploma
>a BoS in something I like
>Self employed and making decent money

>>258054515
Nope, No art Degree required at all, It's a BoS, not a BoA. Funnily enough my course involved mostly programming and technical art alongside business management.
>>
File: 1404866761139.gif (2MB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
1404866761139.gif
2MB, 400x310px
>>258054137
>me
>major in video games
>thinks I'm the OP
I'm not in college, I work in a data center, nothing to do with video games.

I'm just smart enough to know that college and studying are different things. I can still study, and I do still study, even though I'm not in college. If you are still in school now you will eventually see that you will end up studying too even after your school days are over.

If someone says studying and your only thought is of school, it's probably because you haven't spent much/any time in your life outside of school, and haven't even bothered to think about life after school.
>>
File: nope.png (493KB, 591x838px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
493KB, 591x838px
>>258054374

Nobody brags about studying in Bongistan you braindead faggot.
>>
>>258054564
Also it's real hard to contain your power level when someone's gushing about game X, because I really want to tell them every single design flaw in it but I don't because I'd seem like a cunt.

This happened just the other day when someone asked me if I was buying the new Assassin's Creed. I had to say no, but didn't elaborate.
>>
Why don't you study ???? It's a very in demand part of the industry and gives you access to new games.
>>
>>258054697
>Primary school kids.
>>
>What makes you laugh with video game culture?
>video game culture

the word alone makes me laugh. All I can think of is neo-gaymurs wearing nintendo-themed shirts while watching Big Bong Theory
>>
>>258054675

Thanks, that's why I made it a point to say study something of value, dumbfuck. I didn't say, "go to school and study something of value," did I?

OP was obviously implying that they were going to school for it, and that's why I'm calling him(you) a retarded mad faggot about it.
>>
>>258054823
>the word alone
Which one? Video, game or culture?
>>
>>258054610

judging by the average would be worse
America has way more colleges than most other places I'm sure
theres like 100+ just within single states
>>
>>258054815

>dumb children don't grow into dumb adults anon

Not all of them, no, but most do. Bongistan isn
>>
>>258054909
fine, the expression alone. Jeez
>>
>>258054896
>OP was obviously implying that they were going to school for it
Spoken like a true child. Read my last sentence in the post you responded to again.
>>
File: goanzone.png (417KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
goanzone.png
417KB, 500x700px
>>258054994
>fine, the expression alone. Jeez
>>
>>258054103
Yeah that's essentially it, seems like they are using "Game Development" name to bait in some more people.
>>
>>258054981
When I was a little bongistan kid I thought Dragon's Existed in the woods where I live because the wind causes the trees to groan.

I now own my own business. You really gonna hark on the innocent stupidity of under 10 year olds for some kind of fag waving dick contest?
>>
>>258054094
I had a friend from high school who is going into nursing. He was never a fantastic student, but he was accepted into a pretty decent school because the demand for male nurses is so high.

Meanwhile, I'm only going to my state university for nearly free with scholarships in pursuit of my electrical engineering degree
>>
>>258049143
Do you study manga design to make a manga, or you fucking practice your drawing skills?
>>
>>258045581
If someone feels they need to go to school to understand game design, they are a flaming retard. To understand game design you need a brain and to actually play games. If you want to make games for a living, either go to college for computer science and learn multiple languages, or take a bunch of modeling classes. Art is good too. But paying to use APIs and prebuilt game engines to make what some hipster fag calls a "game" or what they feel to be be good design, that is a waste of time.
>>
>>258055178
True enough, the course had 3D animation and other stuff.

I'm the Graphic design Anon. But it;'s always nice to know your course gave you options, it wans't very specialised at all.
>>
>>258053487
is that surgeon thing actually right? I've really only heard of that conception from scrubs and i don't get the impression that that show is the most accurate perspective
>>
>>258055237
Good luck anon, nursing school is cheap as long as you dont go full retard on where you go.
>>
>>258055247
I always wondered how that works, do people who want to get into drawing comics/manga just email companies and go, "I can fucking draw, here's my portfolio. Hire me asshole."

Not sure how it works.
>>
>>258045982
>Get a real job

Why do people use this shitty excuse when they raised on parents who never worked a "real" job and still expect things to be spoonfed to them?

Any sucker who says "Get a real job" deserves to be jewed instead of playing the system.
>>
>>258055392

You have to know some stuff, but a lot of it relates to what surgical techniques have what effect on vital systems. A lot of it is technique and that isn't taught in books, but by practice.
>>
>>258055489
Pretty much.

UI jobs are pretty much me showing a list of UIs I designed and going "What do you need stranger"

If you get good enough, soon the jobs start following you.
>>
>>258055247
Except Game Designer is a real job anon.
>>
>>258054254
>In their defense of racism I'll be racist
When I buy my sneakers I don't expect them to be made by some well paid polak, I want them to be made by the hands of at least 10 children who died in Sri Lanka or they're not shoes goddamnit.
>>
>>258045581
Not laugh, but it makes me really really sad that anyone would consider videogames a "hobby" or dedicate several hours a day to them.

Also any youtuber/blogger about videogames and the people that follow them like it is important instead of reading a newspaper.

Also people actually arguing and getting mad about videogames, console wars, etc, that's just pathetic.
>>
>>258055489

That's actually precisely how art portfolios work. Stock portfolios, too, actually.
>>
>>258055489
Yes.
You do a nice portfolio and send your shit. If you want something even better, do a comic yourself and send to them.
>>
"I didn't go to game design school I played games"
-Quentin tarantino
>>
>>258055719
And he still makes shitty movies, what a surprise.
>>
>>258055713
One of the best shit I ever did is learn some HTML and make myself an interactive profolio.

Shit makes all the low class people love it.
>>
>>258055615
Oh yeah. Working as a comic artist for DC and Marvel, or as a Mangaka who publishes on Shounen Jump isn't a job.
>>
>>258055247
I'm sure if you were to ask very experienced Mangakas this (probably he best group of people to answer this question) they would say you do both.

>>258055489
That would be a way you could get hired as a mangaka's assistant. Generally Mangakas have at least a couple assistants to help them actually create the drawings for manga.

If you actually want to create the comic and ideas behind it, it can be done a variety of ways. The mangaka wikipedia article gives examples.
>>
>>258055823
Let's not forget the Concept Artists for Metroid Prime were total slackers who didn't have a real job at all.
>>
>>258050814
I'm making $100k with an associate's degree I got from the community college that's down street,
>>
File: 1407977471824.webm (29KB, 128x150px)
1407977471824.webm
29KB, 128x150px
>>258051347
>CIA
>>
>>258050912

Well, you're the one whose degree wont land you a job in the industry.

You tell us how it feels.
>>
>>258055952
Doing what?
>>
>>258055930
They are just paid to doodle all day. I wish I was an artist.
>>
>>258056038
But it already did land one for me
>>
>>258056000
nope
>>
>>258054254
I wish I could use this excuse at any job.

>Turn away a person because he's black
>people order software here for authentic white coding, please don't come back.
>>
>>258056089
I'm a process technician
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (13KB, 221x225px) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
13KB, 221x225px
>I'm learning python
>>
>>258055615

Most people in "game design" started of doing other things. They didn't enter the industry designing games, they worked their way upto this position.

Anyone can have an idea, and your ideas mean jack shit. They're not even worth the paper you'd write them on and no ones going to hire you for them.
>>
>>258056231
Ah I wish I went into oil and chemistry, all that fucking money. They even had it at the amsterdam career event 2 years ago.

I do accounting and corporate management now.
>>
File: Will probably never finish.jpg (169KB, 600x1031px) Image search: [Google]
Will probably never finish.jpg
169KB, 600x1031px
>>258055858
>>258055713
>>258055670
>>258055665
Well that seems obvious, shame my drawings are still just chicken scratch fixed in sai. Best I can do so far is help random anons by drawing their fetish or character.

Have an incomplete drawing in return.
>>
>>258054801
Because my friends that do study it start loathing it more and more every year. I'll just keep casually learning new kanji by reading manga and playing games with furigana.
>>
>>258052054

In Japan, femininity is still respected and observed. Women are expected to be meek, humble, gentle, clean, and subservient to men. They're the homemakers and child-raisers, and a woman who speaks out or is aggressive or overbearing is considered unattractive and undesirable.

Not like the Western world where women are loud, disrespectful, rebellious, unshaven STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMEN WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN.
>>
File: 1394853191645.gif (220KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1394853191645.gif
220KB, 250x250px
I'm studying BA (Hons) Animation in September although I've already worked in Animation. I'm really just doing it to make working abroad easier.
>>
File: 3265168465.png (26KB, 463x480px) Image search: [Google]
3265168465.png
26KB, 463x480px
>Taking a class in ANY media arts

How do people think that a degree even matters if you actually have a great portfolio?
>>
>>258056573
Christ. I always wanted to try drawing. Damn it's a shame I suck.

Nice drawing.
>>
>>258056456
Lol. I was gonna go into accounting but my older bro said the money is the refineries. Living in Texas is grand.
>>
>>258056767

If you have a pencil, and some paper, there is literally no reason why you can't start drawing.

People who claim they can't draw or that they lack the talent are either full of shit, or lazy and never tried. Drawing is 100% about skill. It's something you learn, it's something you practice and it's something you will eventually become good at if you keep doing these two things.
>>
>>258056713
Well. I would think it just matters when it comes down to a straight up competition.

>have a 10/10 portfolio
>other guy has a 10/10 portfolio and a degree

Only way I think it matters.
>>
>>258056945
Oh, I lack the time, actually. I practice on weekends. I tried doing some drawing classes with people who actually draw for a living too, but I am busy most of my week
>>
File: 1366224717150.jpg (23KB, 385x309px) Image search: [Google]
1366224717150.jpg
23KB, 385x309px
>>258056713
Not all of us live in countries with as many opportunities in our desired fields of work.
When I get my degree I'm going to sign up for the JET Program to teach English in Japan for a year or two before I start looking for Animation work in America.
Something that would be much harder for me to pull off without a degree.
>>
>>258051352
>CIA

Uh oh
>>
>>258057137

>You lack time

You're posting here right now.

The more you practice, the better you will get. But even 20 minutes a day will cause you to improve significantly within a few months.
>>
>>258057013
The only thing a degree can get you that learning at home won't is more hands on skills and experience.

However you can still get it by doing freelancing but it will take a while longer for you.

Also Learning on your own shows dedication.
>>
File: lMgNZmC.png (182KB, 685x521px) Image search: [Google]
lMgNZmC.png
182KB, 685x521px
>>258057216
>>
File: brown technomancer.jpg (148KB, 566x900px) Image search: [Google]
brown technomancer.jpg
148KB, 566x900px
>>258057137
self deprecating slow drawbro from >>258056573 here. Just draw to draw, who cares if you don't have a lot of time.
>>
>>258046105
>>Americans have the best colleges and universities in the world

Good one.
>>
>>258057390
What IS their obsession about that scene?
>>
>>258057610
>>258057310
and this you'll get better with practice. Once heard it from a drawthread on /v/, the 1,000 hour rule.

It doesn't matter when or how long you draw, just keep drawing. You'll see great improvement after 1,000 hours. Once you reach that goal, draw for another 1,000 hours.
>>
>>258057786
It's just delivered goofy. It sounded like Bane was saying that he was a big guy for CIA, not that it would be extremely painful for CIA.
>>
>>258056129
Whoa buddy, I worked as a concept artist before.

That shit is fucking stressful.
>>
>>258057786
Nothing but pure shitposting material.

I don't know when or why this kind of reddit tier level of shitposting started being accepted here. but I wish it wasn't.
>>
>>258057786
Like any joke, macro, or meme. It was just a very strange moment, someone directed it and thought it was good. It was such a silly scene, people made jokes about it. A majority thought it was hilarious and then beat it to death, then it somehow spread to other boards post modem so they can continue to beat it.

I call it the /sp/ effect.
>>
>>258058014
>>258058039
Its just been going on so long and its ALL THE TIME. I just wanted to talk about Scrubs and Masterchef
>>
>>258058119
>Scrubs
I love scrubs

You will never get to fuck S1 Elliot
>>
>>258055570
it's saying that has been hammered into kids for generations, to enforce the idea that you shouldn't do what you like to do, and instead you should be doing work for another person, to perpetuate the idea that you are contributing to society

protip: you're not
>>
>>258056713

I've heard artist going to colleges so they could learn form a teacher and not for the actual degree
>>
>>258055619
Not him but he has a point. You pay for atmosphere in a restaurant not just food and labor. Having Jimbob make your sushi instead Takawashi can "ruin the experience" for some people.
>>
>>258056847
I don't know much about refining but I heard it's an easy trade job of managing the plants operations, you're not a chemist right?
>>
>>258058432
Dad why is there gun power in my sushi?
>>
>>258057390

>People still get mad at baneposting

This is how you know Reddit is still browsing. they don't understand the point of 4chan.
>>
>>258058498
Not in the slightest.
>>
File: old_duke_drinking_napalm.jpg (15KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
old_duke_drinking_napalm.jpg
15KB, 350x350px
Why not study computer science, with focus on programming or databases, and educate yourself in design theory, script writing, time management and movie compositing? It'll give you a much better education in game design, than any of those shitty "Vidya Design Curses lul". Especially when you learn that most of your teachers have poor-ass degrees from Tijuana, and their "perfect game standard" is previous Call of Duty, because the newest one "broke the perfection", and they spend half a year, explaining why one heap of shit is better than the other (seriously, this shit happens in those places).
>>
>>258054494
what about kebabs?
>>
>>258057948
>It sounded like Bane was saying that he was a big guy for CIA, not that it would be extremely painful for CIA.

Bullshit. is that what its supposed to mean? I refuse to fucking believe that.
>>
>>258058723
Asians and white trash.
>>
>>258058660
Because I'm scholastically stupid and can barely understand any math past basic algebra.
>>
>>258046163
It's true, which is the reason why so many foreigners come here instead of elsewhere, especially at the graduate level. Ever wonder why practically all scientific papers from non-English speaking countries are written and published in English? It's because they want their shit to be read and referenced by researchers in American universities instead of being in some shitty no- name foreign journal where it will fall into obscurity.
>>
File: 1398647529731.gif (236KB, 400x243px) Image search: [Google]
1398647529731.gif
236KB, 400x243px
>>258045581
>go to 'scam' school for game design
>get a job as a designer and work for four major studios after graduating
>save up enough bread to work independently
>living the indie dream
Y'all faggots mad because your parents didn't have the scratch for school.
>>
>>258059040
>Make extremely casual pop culture mobile game
>Rake in all that casual dosh

Living the indie dream.
>>
>>258045982
>paying for school
>>
>>258058432
Jimbob as hicky as you might try to imply that, can still be a person with a formal and professional look to him, it's true that you HIRE a person. But that it's somehow relevant because a person isn't of particular ethnic descent is racist. If some quasi Italian Jew in new york can go to Italy to come back and make masterful pizza's what stops a chef from learning cuisine? Does stinky French food get made by stinky French people or by anybody who studies French cuisine? You know the answer to that one.

Frankly if they're really that mad that they can't get their brother from the rice paddies a visa anymore, then at least start lobbying for classes or courses in Chinese cooking so you know what you get.

Not that I'm furious, but I am buttmad. I got a job somewhere else though by cooking shit up at home and serving it to the boss as my portfolio, suck it bitch.

And frankly if fat clappers get mad about authenticity they should get their shit together about their immigrant culture and learn what the fuck that's about and travel to Japan if they want their authentic sushi chopped by a Shogun with a 100 times folded blade.
>>
>>258056847

Damn, $100k is a lot for the US. I live here in Norway, and working in the marine industry, I earn $80k approximately. Counting the fact that the prices for everything are higher here than in the US, you are living a far more luxurious life than me.
>>
>>258058637
Man shit, see the bar was set pretty high here and I got into a fight with teachers who cut my ED in Utility installations short (big plumbing), then after a lot of wrestling I got into accounting, it's tough and a good trade since there's always people who need their money managed, or taxes that need to be done. But I wonder if I'll strike high like you did.
>>
>>258058335
>Hispanic mom who wants me to become a doctor and take care of her for life.
>Constantly tell her I want to be an astronaut, make video games, etc.. She constantly shoots me down.
>Go to college for East Asian Languages and Cultures.
>Mom finds out and kicks me from house
Well fuck you too you cranky bitch.

Shoutouts to Gabe for letting me crash at his place so I don't have to live with my crazy uncle.
>>
>>258056421
it's a valid language you prick
>>
File: asiancommunity.jpg (134KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
asiancommunity.jpg
134KB, 1440x810px
>>258059915
I bet you also code in Byond.
>>
File: bass.jpg (19KB, 534x430px) Image search: [Google]
bass.jpg
19KB, 534x430px
>>258059915
>Python is the foundation of the vidya industry
>>
>>258054697

>Adult americans believe that pizza is a vegetable
>Adult americans classify professional gamers as atheletes

But then again, a few retarded kids exist in England, whoopde-fucking-do.
>>
>>258060159
>a few retarded kids in britain
>10 and 20% respectively
>people who don't know who hitler is

Better argument please.
>>
>>258045982
>>scam colleges
>living in the third world
>>
>>258045581
>be attractive
>study game design
>become one of those video game spokesman who goes in front of a camera to demonstrate and explain the gameplay of your employer's new game

Isn't that the dream? Don't you want to be the next Reggie?
>>
>>258056421
python has terrible versioning and sometimes gets slowed down by dynamic typing, but otherwise it can do anything other languages can do more intuitively with fewer lines of code. If you come from a C++ or java background and bring your habits into python, then of course you'll write shitty code (hurrdurr setters and getters) but if you take advantage of all the little shortcuts in python, it's pretty useful. I do wish it had a less fedoric name though.
>>
>Study journalism
>Become video game journalist

Do video game journalists even have journalism degrees?
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 1000x1216px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 1000x1216px
>implying I'm even studying that shit
>implying I'm not just making a game

Dev blog here:
Damnitmamet.tumblr.com

Thoughts?

Yeah yeah, I know, but tumblr is the only blog site I could find that wasn't hard as fuck to make an account on
>>
>>258060640
>Reggie
>attractive
I agree.
>>
>>258060712
Why don't you make like the python community and become nonexistent?
>>
>>258060787

No. At most they're English majors or some vague community college bullshit like "media" or something.
>>
File: 1336900895516.gif (151KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1336900895516.gif
151KB, 500x375px
>That feel when I've applied for an apprenticeship as a baker

Least the hours work perfectly with my sleep cycle I guess.
>>
>>258060801
Yeah, and his daughter got those thick lips that would feel like two dicks tittyfucking you. Nice.
>>
>>258060801
Geoff > Reggie
>>
>>258060791
Oh fuck, is this going to be something like Alone in the Dark?
>>
File: trollingbook.jpg (24KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
trollingbook.jpg
24KB, 500x368px
>>258061035
> that would feel like two dicks tittyfucking you.
>>
File: image.jpg (221KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221KB, 1920x1080px
>>258061118
No, more like Link to the Past except in a haunted mansion. Sorry.

>inv4 I get unfollowed by that guy who just followed me
>>
>>258060791
Ain't got no beef with Tumblr, bruv. U cray.
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.