[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Imagine, if you will, a world where music...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
Imagine, if you will, a world where music is exclusive to MP3 players. You can only listen to Daft Punk on an iPod, but for Muse you have to buy Zune, and for Tool you have to buy a Walkman instead.

Want to listen to all of them? Walk with several players like a jackass to be able to.

Oh, you can only listen to Discovery on ipod 4. For Random Access Memories you have to buy a ipod 5, but it's not backwards compatible with the other albums.

Oh, you don't like the situation? You are a Zune fag. Zunefags gettin btfo, they will never EVER ever ever EVER EVER EVRE ERVE get Get Lucky.


TL;DR: I will never understand how consoles make sense.
>>
>>257760257
all exclusives are bad for the consumer but good for the companies who have them.

its essentially a monopoly, anyone who supports exclusives has poo brain.
>>
I like that a thread with such obvious truth in the OP gets largely ignored by /v/.

Also, this has been the case since the PS3 was released. How are people only just realising it? Imagine if consumers had woken up to it 7 years ago instead of now.
>>
File: 1367428760000.png (216 KB, 347x569) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1367428760000.png
216 KB, 347x569
>>257760257
consoles exist to buttfuck the consumer
they make PERFECT SENSE for the companies

what doesnt make sense is when the consumers cheer and boast about bending over for their favorite company
>>
>>257760257
Console and game formats change as graphics and technology advance. Whereas with music, we've hit the point where increases in sound quality provide diminishing returns. Thus, music files are standardized and game formats are not.
>>
File: 1390859831332.png (294 KB, 768x576) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1390859831332.png
294 KB, 768x576
>>
Yfw i can listen to everything on my PC
also
>2014
>paying for music

MP3Player fags BTFO
>>
>>257760520

This, people don't realize that exclusives are just market manipulation, so are consoles.

Consoles exist because in the beginning computers had to built for specific tasks, they were not as lenient and customizable as they are now.

Now that a PC can do anything depending on the parts consoles no longer need to exist.
>>
>>257760812
But there's only one system of this generation which isn't almost identical to the others. Any non-nintendo exclusives are ransomed at this point.
>>
>>257760257
>Daft punk
>Tool
>Muse

Complete shit taste
>>
>buy a laptop
>listen to whatever you want
PC WINS AGAIN
>>
>>257760983
/Mu/ would be like /v/
>>
>>257760983
You do know you can download music for free on your pc and put it on your mp3 to listen to music in places where you don't have access to your PC right? How dumb do you sound
>>
>>257760257
Then I just get a device that can play FLACs and listen to bands that aren't crappy.
>>
>>257760257
They don't, but console shitters are deluded and love the corporate cock.
>>
where does the Pono fit into all this
>>
The only time an exclusive makes sense is when the hardware and software are developed by the same company. This analogy is good, but it falls on its face when you consider the inherent risks and costs of launching software on multiple platforms. This arena is unique and doesn't hold up well to comparison with other industries.

That being said, you're right that exclusives are bad for consumers. But there is no incentive at all for a company to release first or second party software that they're relying on to sell their product on another console.

Also I'm worried that you may have accidentally suggested to a lurking Sony rep that music published on Sony records should only work on Sony players. Shut the fuck up man.
>>
>>257761045
> daft punk
> muse
> bad

I don't listen to them, but get a hold.
>>
>>257760257
You're a fucking idiot who doesn't understand anything. Music is just a bunch of soundwaves, anything can play it. Video games are just like any other computer program, they are lines of code executed by a computer. Programs are usually optimised to run on a certain computer. Sure it's possible to make multiplats, but there's a reason why ports are usually poorly done. A game will always run better if the developer is able to focus on making the game run perfectly on one machine as opposed to making run well enough on multiple machines. There's a reason why exclusives usually end up having better ratings than mulitplats (it's not down to fanboyism, most reviewers probably have access to every console).
>>
File: 1394648975456.jpg (131 KB, 960x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1394648975456.jpg
131 KB, 960x720
>>257761045
I agree. I only listen to superior Japanese music like soundtracks from Touhou or Boku no Pico.
Europoor/Amerifats stay pleb with your popshit.
>>
>>257761294
>Then I just get a device that can play FLACs
But you cannot. Music is copyrighted and DRMed to shit to the point where MP3s don't exist any more.
>>
Could you make that analogy again with non-shit bands?
>>
but imagine if Atlantic Records made their own mp3 player, and all their stuff was exclusive to that player. why would they ever let go of their exclusives?

it's a different thing because the companies making the systems are also making games.
and I mean, sure, I'd like to buy one console and get all of my stuff on it. But I know that won't happen as long as Nintendo exists, so I have to content myself with owning a nintendo system and a sony system because between them that's 95% of the games worth playing
>>
>>257761749
Listening to the muse is like listening to Oasis instead of the Beatles.

Why not just listen to Radiohead and not the group leeching off of them?
>>
>>257761864
>A game will always run better if the developer is able to focus on making the game run perfectly on one machine
that's why exclusives such as knack run great

kill yourself
>>
>>257761237
Full retarded man, never went full retarded
>>
>>257760812
What a kiddo.

Consoles are computers you can't upgrade with proprietary software that doesn't facilitate even software customisation unless you buy pre-made themes.
>>
>>257760257
I cant wait for consoles to die so everything is on one device
>>
>>257760663
Something you have to learn about /v/ is that compliments only come in small form when a post is so righteous and mind-blowing that it warrants a response to draw attention to it.

When people just agree with or support a post, they usually just nod to themselves and move on.

But holy shit if someone disagrees with you, you're definitely going to hear it.
>>
>>257760257
There was once a study of confirmation bias.

What they did was they had people rate two pieces of art. Then they let people choose one of the two pieces to keep. Then later they had them re-rate the art.

After excluding people who had an obvious serious preference for one piece (i.e. only considering those for whom both pieces of art were about equal in percieved value) they found that in follow-ups people consistently rated their own choice higher.

Here's where it gets weird: they repeated this experiment with test subjects who had anterograde amnesia (i.e. people who cannot form new memories; think Memento). They got the SAME RESULTS.

That means people's opinion of something they've chosen increases, at a level so fundamental and basic that it's occurring even if you literally cannot remember you had an opinion about it to start with. You can mock people for defending their choice on stupid grounds, but they aren't rationalizing their choice; by the act of making a choice their perception actually changes in a way that's beyond their control.
>>
>>257762079
That's just down to shitty developers and rushed development. Just look at the majority of PC ports for a proper example.
>>
>>257762267
I think this can be said of the entirety of 4chan.
>>
>>257760257
music is art

videogames are corporate drugs
>>
This is a bad analogy, though. You don't need to spend time and money porting MP3 files to different players.
>>
>>257760257
Muse have not been good in a long, long time.
That Olympic theme song was ear-rape.
>>
Guys, we're forgetting that software has never not been proprietary. If consoles didn't exist, we'd have operating system wars.
Mac OS would get some exclusivity deal that allows them to compete with Windows, Nintendo would make their own OS, Steam OS would be closed source, and we'd be right back where we started.
>>
>>257762454
Sounds interesting. Do you know where I'd be able to find this study to read more about it?
>>
Why would Nintendo/Sony/MS create a console and then create games for said console only for them to be released on the competitors stuff?

It's not like Daft Punk are making music players themselves. That's a shit analogy anon. You could make an argument that it's stupid for 3rd party to make exclusives like Square is doing for TR but that's about it
>>
>>257762532
> look at the majority of PC ports

They are as a rule the superior, definite version of the game.

> down to shitty developers

so all console developers
>>
>>257761606
>inherent risks and costs of launching software on multiple platforms
You mean the increased market access? What, that's not a risk.
>>
>>257764147
Don't AMD and Nvidia already try to fuck each other over?
>>
>>257766063
>They are as a rule the superior, definite version of the game.
They're only considered superior because you can pirate them incredibly easy (so more people on /v/ can play them, meaning that the vocal majority claim that PC is the best version). There's a reason why it takes a PC that's 50% more powerful than a console to play the same game at the same standard.

>so all console developers
Most developers are just as bad as each other, regardless of what platform they develop for. In fact, the games with the smoothest framerates usually come from Nintendo.
>>
>>257761003
There's also that having certain gimmicks available (in Nintendo's case) kind of forces creativity. It's a mixed bag, but there are some real diamonds in there with all the camel shit.
>>
>>257762549
>>257762267
People obsess over the negatives or what's wrong.

If it's right, it's right.
>>
>>257761909

>Touhou or Boku No Pico

shit taste confirmed, this here is real music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVa9qwxbRo&index=20
>>
>>257767095
I'm pretty sure they're considered superior because of graphics settings, things like physX, and pricing. But whatever you say anon
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
Thread DB ID: 9401



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.