[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will there ever be an RPG better than EarthBound?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 13

File: EarthBound_Box.jpg (24KB, 354x281px) Image search: [Google]
EarthBound_Box.jpg
24KB, 354x281px
Will there ever be an RPG better than EarthBound?
>>
>>257665814
Mother 3
>>
Dragon Quest V already exists
>>
File: 1403786748669.png (28KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
1403786748669.png
28KB, 128x128px
>>257665952
>he actually thinks mother 3 is better than EarthBound
>>
>>257665814
I have no idea. I really hope that if it ever gets a sequel it sticks to the roots of the first two games. I haven't beaten Mother 3 yet but so far it's not nearly as good as the first two games, heck it feels like an entirely different game for some reason. Just that lighthearted, feel-good feeling of the game and how it has that unique little charm to it and it's own style of silliness. I swear I feel like I'm a kid again when I play the game. Not to mention the whole modern setting and how colorful and neat everything is. It hasn't even been 3 weeks since I beat it and I already miss it. I beat Mother 1 around a week ago and I'm going through Mother 3 at the moment, but so far it's just not the same.
>>
>>257666737
That was the point. To be as different as the first two as possible while still being Mother.
>>
>what is any pokemon
>>
File: giantkenlevineface.jpg (64KB, 480x599px) Image search: [Google]
giantkenlevineface.jpg
64KB, 480x599px
yeah, a whole bunch of rpgs better than earthbound came out from 97 to 04
>>
File: 4.jpg (69KB, 441x428px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
69KB, 441x428px
>>257665814
Yes
>>
>>257665814
Do you mean RPG in general?
Or JRPG?
There are plenty of JRPGs that are pretty close in quality actually. Then again I'm not really a huge fan of JRPGs in general. If you're asking whether or not a game will come along that's as unique as EarthBound, well, I don't know.

Before anyone mentions it, I wouldn't consider Dark Souls to be a JRPG.
>>
File: Chrono Trigger.jpg (118KB, 700x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono Trigger.jpg
118KB, 700x640px
>>257665814
Hi.

I borrowed my friends copy of Earthbound in 96 and found it boring as hell. I've tried to play it on three separate occasions since then thinking I maybe I was just too young to be able to appreciate it but could never get into it. What am I missing? Is there something wrong with me?
>>
>>257667764
RPG
>>
>>257668281
It's okay if you don't like traditional turn based RPGs, I guess. But it's a shame you can't get past that for the game's story.
>>
>>257667561
Can't fucking wait.
>>
>>257668364
Then I would consider Diablo II to be better than EarthBound.
>>
File: I WILL! THANK YOU FATHER.png (45KB, 1677x617px) Image search: [Google]
I WILL! THANK YOU FATHER.png
45KB, 1677x617px
>>
>>257668281
please get your head checked T__T
>>
>>257665814
___________________________________________________No.
>>
File: goku_dragon_ball_laugh_face.jpg (57KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
goku_dragon_ball_laugh_face.jpg
57KB, 500x282px
>>257669191
>file name
>>
>>257668281
In terms of gameplay, the start is really slow. How far were you in the game? It seriously picks up once you get all your party members.
>>
>get so strong the enemies run away from you
>auto win if you're too strong for the enemies

WHY DON'T MORE GAMES HAVE THESE FEATURES?!
>>
>>257668463
But I do like turn based RPGs and FFVI and BoF 2 were two of my favorite games from around that time. I just...couldn't get into it. I don't really know why.
>>
>>257665814
>games better?
No Mother has a very special niche and no other JRPG can fill it
>>
>>257665952

>people still think that Mother 3 was better than Mother 2

the ending sucked no not the death of Lucas' brother the nonexistant anticlimactic ending
>>
>>257669460
Last time I got to the mall bit when Paula gets kidnapped before I just stopped playing. Never even gotten to Po before though, so I'll give it another play.
>>
>>257668281

The ending portions are the strongest. It becomes seriously dark. Seriously.
>>
>>257669191

oh my god that's fucking splendoriffic
>>
>>257667229
Examples?
>>
>>257667561

>Mother 4
>4

no Itoi no buy

it's a noncanon spinoff and nothing more
>>
>>257669886
I actually dropped the game for a while my first time playing right at that part, too, because the enemies were kicking my fucking ass.
>>
>>257669958
The first two Paper Mario games
>>
>>257669489

yahtzee said it was because games would be 90% shorter otherwise
>>
How come people never seem to talk about Mother 1
>>
>>257669958
>>257667229
Its mostly subjective.
There are RPGs in that era that one can say objectively had better combat/gameplay, but as a whole package, its subjective
>>
>>257668281
why spoiler all your words? well i replied and put my mouse over your post you fuckiong attention whore

you feel good now?
>>
File: 44320.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
44320.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>257670087
>>
>>257669984
He said at this point hed rather play other people's versions of Mother than another of his own
>>
Earthbound isn't even the best RPG on the SNES.
>>
>>257670056
Thats one of the weird things about earthbound, it gets these weird difficulty spikes at certain parts, but thats in every RPG
>>257670087
Nope, it lacks the bizzare-ness and atmosphere.
>>
>>257670257
I'm not him, but what does that have to do with anything? A loyal Itoi fan won't suddenly change his mind and decide to play Mother 4 because of that since it's still not a game with Itoi in it.
>>
>>257665814
Final Fantasy 5
>>
>>257670326

Neither is either lufia game.

But they're close
>>
Honestly even though I love Earthbound there are loads of better JRPGs.

Earthbound has a great, quirky style and setting that make it stand out from the crowd, and a few nice features, but all in all the gameplay is pretty average. I still consider it a must-play but I wouldn't even call it the best RPG on the SNES, let alone the best RPG of all time.
>>
>>257670350

i read a theory somewhere that the difficultly spikes are intentional, and supposed to make you feel overwhelmed and frustrated right before you get new party members (and right after you lose paula temporarily). making the more bleak parts actually feel bleak from a gameplay perspective

who knows if that's true, and even if it is I'm not sure it's a good thing, but it's something to think about
>>
>>257669863
It left you with wanting more, sure, but it's not like Earthbound had a good ending either.

When Mother 3 has better gameplay, dialogue, music, and graphics, then it's better than Mother 2.
>>
>>257665814

Nothing is better than Earthbound, no matter what RPG it is, how logical the argument is, barring any opinions, gameplay features, story, or soundtrack for any RPG released on the SNES ever, Earthbound still tops it automatically.
>>
>>257670257

putting a number makes it sound like its a continuation

take the 4 off and its fine. leave it on and it make you look pretentious as fuck. i refuse to play that fanwank.
>>
>>257670190
Fine. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

>>257670350
The criteria was "better," not "more bizzare."
I'd say that the Paper Mario games are at least more entertaining than Earthbound and have their own sense of humor to them. Battles are significantly better. Being unique doesn't make Earthbound the greatest RPG.
>>
>>257665814
>what is chrono trigger

take your overrated hipster bullshit and shove it up your ass
>>
>>257670697
I actually have never played that game before
>>
>>257670697

the irony
>>
>>257665814
Should I play earthbound?
I wasn't old enough when it came out, so there are no nostalgic reasons to pick up the game.
>>
>>257670583
>but it's not like Earthbound had a good ending either.

no but it had AN ENDING a cliffhanger ending but an ending nonetheless

>gameplay
fine
>dialogue
INDUSTRIAL PROGRESS IS BAD MMKAY ALSO YOU'RE MOM IS DEAD
>music
no Earthbound had better variety and more memorable music
>graphics
coming from a console that wasn't even better graphically than the SNES that isnt saying much
>>
>>257670171
Yes.If you read all of these, anon,I'll let you degrade me andcum in my gaping hot boypussy like the whore I am.:^)
>>
>>257670873
No one plays the game for nostalgia at this point. Go experience the game for yourself if you like traditional RPGs at all.
>>
The fuck was Nintendo thinknig with that final boss?

>Hmm, yes, this is certainly appropriate for a children's game. The embodiment of evil.
>>
>>257671161
Itoi.
>>
File: 1406297708254.png (67KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1406297708254.png
67KB, 480x320px
>>257670636
Read. >>257669802
Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, M&L and the other Mario RPGs don't fit EarthBounds role as a game where you play as a psychic kid vs. aliens. Mario rpgs are great they just don't have the same style Earthbound has
>>
>>257671161
I just beat Earthbound today and god damn.
(actual end-game spoilers)
>fighting Pokey and the weird-ass Ness marble form of Gigyas
>think this is fucked up, especially with the music being what it is, but I don't see what people on /v/ flip shit over
>"Do you want me to turn off the Devil's Machine?"
>THAT FUCKING NEXT FORM
>THAT FUCKING "MUSIC"
>"Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness"

I do not understand how people didn't get traumatized from that.
>>
earthbound's gameplay sucks.

it's a sub-NES spam-the-same-three-commands borefest that doesn't begin to have any semblance of strategy, resource management, or any level of thought and skill until 2/3 through the game when you've finally got jeff and enemies are showing up in large enough numbers to start having to worry about formations

if gameplay is so important, then why is earthbound excellent and one of my favorite games ever? can the excellence of everything else really lift a game that high?
>>
File: kh.png (208KB, 344x441px) Image search: [Google]
kh.png
208KB, 344x441px
>>257669191
oh my fucking
>>
>>257665814
Mother
>>
>>257671563

i don't have nightmares

i really don't. sometimes moments in dreams will be tense or a little scary but it's always a "safe" feeling, like i know i'm watching a movie or something

i knew it was coming and i was still creeped the fuck out. not NOPENOPENOPE run away scared, just really unsettled to the core

i had my first (and to date last) nightmare that night after i finished earthbound for the first time

they really found the perfect combination of sound, visuals, and story to make it as unsettling as they could on that hardware
>>
Currently playing this for the first time because I got it as a Platinum reward, just got to the town after you catch a ride with the Runaway Five, and I have to say, I'm really loving this game so far. The atmosphere is great, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but the game feels really eerie.
The only RPG games I've really played are the Pokemon games, but I really like how this game handles encounters. I've learned it best to just put all my money in the ATM and just grind, seeing as how dying has no consequence if you have no money, other than losing all of your PSI, and I loadsamoney.It's one of those games where I'd love to actually own a copy of it.
>>
>>257665814
Final Fantasy VI > Chrono Trigger > Earthbound.
It's a really close race though.
>>
>>257671729
It's called nostalgia anon.
>>
>>257672065
The game only gets eerier as it goes on. Don't drop it.
>>
>>257668281

Fuck off. Chrono Trigger is pleb shit.
>>
>>257672534
>Calling CT shit
This is why we can never have nice things.
>>
>>257665814
Yes, pretty much every RPG ever.
Earthbound was so boring as fuck.
>>
>>257672065

>The atmosphere is great, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but the game feels really eerie.

I read an 8000-word analysis somewhere that I'm not going to bother digging up now, but basically:

earthbound isn't just a sterilized "kid game;" it's actually written to put you in the mindset of a child. all the adults are useless and incompetent (except mom, of course), plot events (see: around the time of everdred's not-death in fourside) are intentionally contrived and arbitrarily designed to keep things moving forward, etc

there's a quirky bright colorful tone to everything, but that's not all: things that are really unsettling (porky's parents being abusive, cults kidnapping young girls, etc.) happen at very infrequent intervals. but - they just happen, and then slide right by never to really be mentioned again. like the child that you're playing as isn't yet mature enough to pick up on everything that's going on, but still feels uneasy. whether more for practical nintendo-censorship reasons or more just because it's sutble, it's all subtext -- arguably, adults will get more out of the game because they can pick up on the more disturbing context (Lier X. Agerate wants you to come down to see something in his dark basement! alone!) and get more out of the game

this is of course most explicit in the battles, where the majority of tracks are creepy electronic ambience coupled with the psychadelic backgrounds -- that more than anything keeps the tone a little off from the otherwise-cheery presentation

the balance of quirk-creepy is of course inverted at the end, but the fact that it's been slowly building and present throughout the game makes that a sensible course to take rather than a completely out of left-field tonal switcharoo

the game is so much smarter than it seems
>>
>>257671729
>if gameplay is so important, then why is earthbound excellent and one of my favorite games ever? can the excellence of everything else really lift a game that high?
Yes.
But there's a difference between good story and good atmosphere. Many games forget that.
Earthbound has both.
>>
>>257672706
>half the cast are boring and unlikable
>game is too easy, even for a JRPG
>only thing the plot has going for it is Crono dies
>lousy villain

All it has going for it is great music and great sprites.
>>
Well, Mother 3 was objectively better in the only objective metric.

Gameplay is an objective metric in this case - they both have the same gameplay, except M3 has rhythm battles (and a few other small things) while EB doesn't. (If you wanted to nitpick, you could claim that you hated rhythm battles to the extent where it made it worse, but I find that hard to believe.)

Story, atmosphere, setting are all subjective.
>>
>>257672992
>half the cast are boring and unlikable
The characters are great and memorable, except maybe Marle.
>game is too easy, even for a JRPG
And Earthbound is piss easy as well. Your point?
>only thing the plot has going for it is Crono dies
Yes don't point out the time travelling elements, Lavos or anything.
>lousy villain
I bet you legitimately think Lavos is the main villain.
>>
>>257669489
Blue Dragon did it. And... uh... um... did I already say Blue Dragon?
>>
>>257673295
>The characters are great and memorable, except maybe Marle.
>This is what CTfags actually believe

Lucca and Robo are the only good ones; the rest are shit.

>And Earthbound is piss easy as well. Your point?

Level up your deflection skill, faggot.

>Yes don't point out the time travelling elements, Lavos or anything.

Those were all shit

>lousy villain

Still shit.

Go back to Destructoid so you can circlejerk over how amazing Chrono Trigger is, faggot.
>>
>>257673545
>Lucca and Robo are the only good ones; the rest are shit.
The fact that you bring up Lucca over say Glenn or Janus means I can't take you seriously.
>Level up your deflection skill, faggot.
You know, you act like a game is easy is such a big flaw. Guess what? No turn-based JRPG is actually hard, faggot.
>Those were all shit
How were they shit exactly? Time travelling is literally one of the biggest plot points in the game along with Lavos.
>Still shit.
Nice retort which has to do with nothing I said.
>Go back to Destructoid so you can circlejerk over how amazing Chrono Trigger is, faggot.
I don't even know what that site is, but I think it's safe to assume that you go there yourself. Stop being a contrarian faggot, thinking your superior because you don't what is usually considered one of the greatest RPGs, if not games of all time.
>>
>>257674590
*don't like
>>
Earthbound is literally trash - one of the worse RPGs for the SNES.

I don't believe this - quite the contrary - I just want the thread to be more active.
>>
>Earthbound
>Easy
Did we play the same game?

It's not ballbustingly difficult, sure, but it's pretty unforgiving in places up until you get Poo. And even then, Ness is on healing/autoattack duty most of the game.
>>
File: did someone say EarthBound.png (252KB, 687x540px) Image search: [Google]
did someone say EarthBound.png
252KB, 687x540px
That game stunk.
>>
>>257670583
>mother 3
>etter music
i liked the music but a lot of it was fucking recycled in a different tone
>>
>>257670605
Thats the only argument I have ever been given
>>
>>257675238
better*
>>
>>257670962
You mean, you didn't cry at chapter 6?
>>
>>257674590
>No turn-based JRPG is actually hard, faggot.
strange journey
>>
File: 1406584202482.jpg (20KB, 246x235px) Image search: [Google]
1406584202482.jpg
20KB, 246x235px
>>257675194
>Earthbound
>Not Easy
Nigga that game is easy as shit, I mean yeah the desert is kinda hard and Peaceful rest valley is annoying but, over all its not very challenging it just has some aggravating parts.
That said i would love hack for Earthbound making the game more difficult.
>>
>>257675648
I think some people have made hacks. I'm on mobile, but if you're feeling initiated, check out PK Hack on the Starmen.Net forums.
>>
>>257675531
Strange Journey isn't hard until Mem Aleph, and that's because they clearly didn't playtest the fight.
I walked in at level ~70 and she OHKO'd me and my entire team with one attack.
>>
Yes, it's called Chrono Trigger
>>
>>257675531
Mt. Itoi in Mother 1 is very hard. (To a lesser extent, the graveyard/zoo are also pretty hard, unless you've been grinding or are using the easy ring.)
>>
My fav SNES rpg is SMT 2
>>
>People thinking Mother 3 didn't have a genuinely moving story
>>
Don't feel like making my own thread for this:

What are some good RPGs on the GBA not named Superstar Saga/Mother 3/Mother 1+2?
>>
>>257675730
Is there one that's still Earthbound but, tweaked slightly?
Like for example weapons for Poo, or longer dungeons?
>>
>>257676261
Porkyman Emerald, or a port of an Snes rpg.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.