[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DLC needs to GTFO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: dlc.jpg (35KB, 701x332px) Image search: [Google]
dlc.jpg
35KB, 701x332px
This man speaks the truth. DLC is complete trash. What would it take for us to see an industry wide boycott on cheap and destructive DLC?

>Vid related
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMdmKVZ70o
>>
File: 1407011026817.png (92KB, 463x469px) Image search: [Google]
1407011026817.png
92KB, 463x469px
It's not going anywhere.

No point in bitching.
>>
>>257476837
>What would it take for us to see an industry wide boycott on cheap and destructive DLC?
Teaching people financial responsibility?
>>
>What would it take for us to see an industry wide boycott on cheap and destructive DLC?

Something developers would never do. Even then, we have too many stupid consumers now, or consumers who just don't care that much about vidya but will be willing to spend so much money on Candy Crush. The big publishers found the audience they've been trying to look for finally and now they can milk them all they please.

If only video games had a negative stigma again. Maybe that would keep them away.
>>
>>257476837
That guys looks like what you would get in an Asian man fucked a monkey.
>>
>>257477164

It could easily change. We just don't allow it. Even Valve is turning cheap shit like digital trading cards into some strange fucking currency. It's becoming way to fucking much.
>>
>>257476837
>not Preordering
>not marketing tactics by labeling paid reviews

WAH WAHH DLC IS SO BAD
>>
What's wrong with extra levels?
>>
File: 1407547112659.jpg (182KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
1407547112659.jpg
182KB, 639x960px
>>257477497

Who's "we". How about we stop talking about it? You realize you play into the producers of DLC's hand when you just talk about it, negative or positive?
>>
>>257476837
>This man speaks the truth

No he doesnt. He parrots to get those views because his content is shit and he needs to get subscribers some how.

Theres different types of DLC. He only seems to bitch about cosmetic dlc. And doesnt even recognize all the other dlc like story like expansions
>>
>>257477405
Just wait for the next fad. It won't last forever.
>>
>>257476837
>This man

You mean you?
>>
>>257477546
Those don't take content out of the game in order to sell it back to you for extra money on their part.
>>
Wow that's some real news there, who could possibly see that DLC sucks.

Quit viraling your videos.
>>
>>257477790

>his content is shit and he needs to get subscribers some how.

The guy has 16 thousand subscribers and millions of views. Obviously paying a film crew to film him. Easily this is shit content by your standards yes?
>>
>>257478158
Can you be more obvious?
>>
I like free DLC, but I think this guy is only talking about DLC that you have to pay for. Skyrim/Fallout had a bunch of really good DLC packs but never forget that we did get horse armor at one point.
>>
File: 1382993650104.png (228KB, 1472x1544px) Image search: [Google]
1382993650104.png
228KB, 1472x1544px
>>257477868
>As a kid, just want vidya to be more popular so you can show people how fun they are
>Vidya finally becomes popular
>More vidya is being made than ever before
>Now innovation is scarce, difficulty and challenge is looked down upon outside casual phone games (the player can never be wrong, the game is just artificially difficult or broken), local multiplayer is scarce, and ignorant consumers are being milked without even realizing it

Is this what we really asked for?
>>
>>257476837
DLC is no trash.
It becomes trash when they use it to make more money ala overpricing stuff.
>>
>>257478158
He doesn't go into detail on anything or all the kinds of DLC. Not even backing his words up with evidence. Most people on /v/ have a better knowledge of DLC than what he explained.
>>
I can't place his accent, it keeps changing
>>
>>257478372

The mobile game market got bad quick. The only games worth playing are crazy expensive and the free stuff seems to only use pay to play models. I feel like I can't trust anything I download on android or iOS to be fun anymore.
>>
>>257478730

Pennsylvanian I think.
>>
why is his head glowing
>>
>>257478740
I feel the same way. It feels like there are almost no quality games on the android. I just won't even bother. I could be reading instead of playing phone games if they're just cheesy games like Angry Birds and Candy Crush that are only fun for 5 minutes and really on people with addictive personalities.
>>
>>257478158

JonTron has 1mil subscribers with millions of views
He probably pays someone to help him film and edit but lately his content has been shit too

Shit content is shit content buddy. The viewers and subscribers more than likely have Shit taste
>>
>>257476837
wow what a interesting and unique opinion i bet nobody ever thought about that since the companies started release DLCs 10 years ago
>>
File: dlc.jpg (451KB, 595x761px) Image search: [Google]
dlc.jpg
451KB, 595x761px
>>
As long as normalfags and "WHAT'S THE MATTER ANON? ARE YOU POOR?"s buy DLC, it's not going anywhere.
>>
>>257479092

I want a really good strategy game on mobile or touch screen devices. Something solid and fun to play against friends. Old C&C or Starcraft feel.
>>
>>257479165
ten years ago they were called expansions and were typically larger than a 50mb helmet
>>
>>257479368

Not really multiplayer, but they did make a version of XCOM for tablets, and it's pretty fun.
>>
>>257478372
I never asked to share my hobby with more people. I found out at a young age not everyone can enjoy the same things and that you should be happy with the people you can share these things with. I get this joy quite often every time I visit a thread about DMC on /v/. None of my friends play it and I enjoy it heavily. I'm happy I get to talk about it on /v/.

>>257478740
Mobile games are the tiger handheld games of this time period.
Garbage low quality trash that's really cheap and got mass consumed by idiots.
This time around they can add paywalls to those shitty handhelds.
>>
>>257478896

I think he sounds Canadian.

>>257479143

I agree it has not been that great, but this video doesn't look that bad at all. Also, it's all shot in one take unlike every other person I have seen talk on YouTube. No jump cuts are a plus in my book.
>>
>>257478158
does he pay you to suck his dick as well? must be why his content is so shitty...
>>
>>257479221
Do people actually think the money goes to the devs? This is the case for indie games but DLC mongers are primarily big time publishers that pay their devs a slave wage and do whatever they can to avoid paying devs their bonuses.
>>
>>257479740

The money usually never goes to the devs. It's always going to the parent companies that fire the people down below. DLC is a shit and it hurts game developers and gamers.
>>
>>257479619
Why are you still pretending to not be him?
>>
>>257476837
>Rerez Talks
Who the fuck is this? Why should I give a singe fuck about his opinion and why should he get a video view from me?
>>
>>257476837
Relatively low prices for games and skyrocketing development costs mean it isn't going anywhere.
>>
Did Oblivion start the trend for terrible cashgrab DLC?
>>
>>257479476
>Can't talk about shoot em ups, fighters outside of the most popular ones, roguelikes, or even perverted japanese games or dating sims in real life because no one knows shit about them or doesn't want to
>Can do so on /v/ to some extent

I am filled with bliss when I see a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory thread with over 300 posts on /v/ and aren't just filled with waifu arguing.
>>
>>257480605

Microsoft did actually. Back when they announced the 360 they envisioned a industry that sold you an empty box and let you buy items to fill it. The idea was something like this...

-Buy a character
-Buy a level/stage/map
-Buy clothing
-Buy weapons

Playing online would be free, but you had to pay for every small item in the game. Everyone who came up with these ideas are now gone from the company. Got fired or let go right after the whole Xbox One launch disaster.
>>
>>257476837

His argument was as well crafted as something I would expect from a child in middle school.
>>
>>257480605
Not exactly. It introduced it and people were very pissed off about it and no one bought it.

>>257480902
Reminds me of the "1 dollar per reload" quote from someone at EA over Battlefield.
>>
>>257481067
Entitled gamers thinking that just because they buy a game it entitled them to reloads.
>>
>>257480902
>>257481067

A lot of the larger game companies attempted to make games focused totally on DLC. However lately DLC/Pay-to-play hasn't done so well in the console/pc/mobile market. So there has been a bunch of loses from the larger companies.

Imagine what good it would do if the companies just focused on making a solid good product first and adding stuff afterwords?
>>
>>257476837
>Tell mainstream that DLC fools kids into buying more shit for a game.
Seriously people are still salty over bubble butt kardash... fuck her I'm not looking that name up mobile game. It might stick.
>>
>>257481525
American businesses primarily focus on marketing. Whatever product they have, they will market and milk the shit out of and move on. Better businesses focus on making the best product they can, which effectively markets itself.

Look at the automobile industry for examples.
>>
>>257481525
Can't do that when you inflate the game's budget by having a team of 100 talentless new guys and a shit ton of marketing instead of a well educated small group of talented people.
>>
>>257482505

That is why I think indie game devs are going to become the norm. Larger companies just don't get it anymore.
>>
DLC can be a good thing.

We just need less day one on disc DLC bullshit and more DLC like Undead Nightmare.
>>
>>257483048

A problem though is that DLC in general keeps being the bullshit kind and not the epic kind.
>>
>>257483013
>indie

oh g-d no
>>
File: 1373837498654.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1373837498654.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>257481775
I didn't even know that shit existed until /v/ pointed it out. Just like Anita, SJW, and most of the negative things in the vidya industry. I stopped caring. People are going to invest into stupid shit all the time. It doesn't effect my weeb games. Saying that, fuck NIS and its shit ton of DLC. At least they put all of it into the handheld remakes.
>>
I've never really been opposed to DLC in principle. If the base game is worth the price they're asking, I'll buy it. Then, if the DLC is worth the price they're asking for that, I might buy that too.

Obviously overcharging for things bothers me, but it's never particularly concerned me when the DLC is released or where it's stored.
>>
File: Crimzon_Clover_box_art[1].jpg (408KB, 779x1116px) Image search: [Google]
Crimzon_Clover_box_art[1].jpg
408KB, 779x1116px
>>257483480
Just because it's made by one person or a few without a publisher doesn't mean it's bad.

This game was made by a single guy who didn't even play video games that much. Yet I have yet to hear anyone call Crimzon Clover shit and with a good reason.
>>
>>257476837
I approve of all cosmetic DLC. I don't care about "b-b-b-but they coulda put that in FOR FREEEEE". The fact of the matter is they just wouldn't bother making it at all if they couldn't charge a buck for it. "B-b-b-b-but they USED TO" - and it used to be 1998 as well, it's not now. Things change, industries change, the amount of things people are willing to give out for free change especially when there's a global depression and the economy is failing in every first world country.

I have no problems whatsoever with paying 2 bucks for Idolmaster outfits in a Tales game. If anything I'm glad that's an option, otherwise I'd be stuck with no costumes or just one boring cheaply thrown together one in the game like the older Tales titles.

"DLC" can also refer to FREE CONTENT thats given over time, there's no valid complaints for that type of downloadable content.

"DLC" can also refer to expansion packs that are download-only. Brood wars, all those expansions for rollercoaster tycoon games, red alert's expansions, these are all something that would be labelled as DLC if they were sold now and primarily sold through digital means.
>>
But there are good DLCs.
The problem is that there are more bad than good
>>
>>257483895
Nobody shitting on indie games has ever done so with the inclusion of Japanese titles. There are hundreds of really well made Japanese doujin/indie games.

When discussing indie games people are talking about the western made filth. Try showing 5 examples of good non-Japanese made independently developed games.
>>
File: 1387400259260.png (11KB, 427x474px) Image search: [Google]
1387400259260.png
11KB, 427x474px
>>257483895
>bullet hell

All indie garbage seems to be platformers with bullshit trial and error difficulty or some other gimmick
>>
>>257484258
but muh Roguelike ;_;
>>
>>257484170
I honestly couldn't and don't really play western games now. I have a feeling though that most of them would be quite old or made by Europeans.
>>
>>257484258
But that doesn't make it bad at all. Just a genre you don't like.
>>
DLC isn't bad. It's a lot better than expansion packs and buying every street fighter ultra turbo suplex HD remix redux. It's more convenient for developers and consumers and while cosmetics have become the backbone of f2p, that doesn't mean they have to for regular games too. Developers started selling cosmetics because they wanted every player to have access to comparable content for free. When you fragment content into tiers, you fragment communities and by extension your own game. When everyone has identical content except for that guy with a reskin and special colors, I see nothing wrong with this.

The real problem is when major developers release broken games and try to fix them over the next few years later with updates while not compensating people for wasting their money. In the end the games suck, the developer cashed out, and consumers lose interest in games. We used to call that Obamacare. Why did it become acceptable in video games?
>>
>>257484676
Expansion packs are being called DLC now funnily enough
>>
Unless it's Day One DLC then I don't see much of a problem with it. As long as you get a good amount of content for what you pay for then that's okay.
>>
>>257485585

Day one DLC is the devil. I hate it more than anything else.
>>
>>257477680
when they have it on the disk and make you fucking pay for it
>>
How do you differentiate between good DLC (expansion pack) or bad? From a retail perspective? How do you enforce the idea that they can't make bad DLC then?
>>
>>257477868
Just like movies are a fad, right? It might peter out a bit and we'll get some relief, but there will never be a second crash.

Give it up.
>>
>>257477868
Even radio is still around and doing just fine.
>>
>>257480605
It's funny because Bethesda apologized for horse armor and all their DLC since has been after the fact stuff that adds new content, like it should be. Quality of their games aside.
>>
>>257484769
Because it's extra content that you download. You can't buy a physical copy of an expansion anymore.
>>
>>257476837

i'm sorry to be a defeatist, but it will never change. consumerism has poisoned the world and it won't be going away any time soon. as long as there is a retard with more money than brains, dlc will continue to be a thing. your only option is to wait for mega sales (hope you aren't a consolefag) or not buy the crap at all.
>>
>>257490483
It's not just that consumers are idiots, it's that companies are run by pretty intelligent people. It's how they always manage to evade regulation and criticism.
>>
>>257476837
DLC isn't bad.

Bad DLC is large chunks taken out of the game.

Good DLC is completely aesthetic. Good DLC is a huuuuuge self contained update to the game world like an expansion that is reasonably low in price, Good DLC is after the fact DLC and minor content updates.

Anyone who thinks ALL DLC is bad is a fucking retard.
>>
>>257491071

>Good DLC is completely aesthetic

Yeah, I like it when I buy a game and only have access to the crappiest, most bare bones outfits in the game, whereas the outfits developers actually spent time working on cost money. It's not the worst out there, but it is still completely capable of being abused and you better believe it is.
>>
>>257491395
Name one example of what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1377511061005.jpg (22KB, 346x331px) Image search: [Google]
1377511061005.jpg
22KB, 346x331px
I believe that FrankieDFrancis had the best opinion on DLC there is.

When you buy DLC for a game, it's because you enjoy the game and want more. Unfortunately, while the value of entertainment of a game goes up as the price of the game goes down, the value of entertainment of that game's DLC goes down as the price of the DLC stays the same.

Content locked on the disc is horrible, yes. Not all DLC is bad.

Video related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISATi-Q3Fw&t=11m0s
>>
DLC just means ten years from now you won't be able to play the full versions of games unless the company re-releases them.
>>
>>257491686

Easy. Killing Floor. Not only do you have to pay to get better outfits, the default ones are lower poly than the ones that cost money.
>>
File: big brown arse.png (263KB, 360x386px) Image search: [Google]
big brown arse.png
263KB, 360x386px
>>257492198
>First person shooter
>Can't even see your outfit
So your one example it doesn't even matter?
>>
>>257492425

>moving the goal post

Anyway, why give players the option to customize themselves if it doesn't matter, first person or not?
>>
>>257492903
>Want a real example of costumes DLC being bad
>Example Given is an FPS
Anon, I don't think you understand how silly you sound.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.