[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this going to be the last generation of handhelds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 274
Thread images: 16

File: 3DS-vs-Vita[1].jpg (17KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
3DS-vs-Vita[1].jpg
17KB, 400x286px
Is this going to be the last generation of handhelds?
>>
>>254402064
I don't really know about Nintendo. I think they will make a stop gap product fill in before launching a hybrid portable console? Sony will probably concentrate on mobile though with PSM. Better margins, lower risks and easy exposure to mass market.
>>
If it means we can finally have another numbered Monster Hunter title on console or pc then I'm all for it.
>>
File: skeptical japanese woman.jpg (176KB, 575x575px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical japanese woman.jpg
176KB, 575x575px
>>254402064
As long as Pokemon exists there will always be handhelds by Nintendo at least.
>>
>>254402064
i can easily see nintendo doing another especially if they do the whole handheld/console hybrid thing for the next gen
but pretty sure that sony has had enough from the dedicated handheld business
at best they would try some sony xperia v2 or something equivalent
>>
For Sony, yeah.
>>
The second handhelds die I quit vidya

>Phone gaming

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>254403539
Phone gaming doesn't have to always be shit.
>>
>>254403704
It's the interface, it really does. The input is just awful.

>play a game while your hand obscures what is happening in order to interact with it

If that cancerous ridden fuck Jobs didn't decide to make 1 button popular than yeah, you'd be right. However he did. Thankfully he was removed before being able to do more damage.
>>
>>254403539
>The second handhelds die I quit vidya
more rhythm games on the big screen and good riddance to all those ports with extra content that come 2-3 years after the original is out while the home console versions do not even get them as dlc
>>
>>254404139

More like the genres just die out/we get MORE DLC.
>>
I hope not. Both 3DS and Vita have been fantastic so far. Unlike the consoles I'm actually optimistic about their future.
>>
>>254404121
I don't think we have to necessarily give up tactile buttons for a touch screen interface. Sony will find a way. Some one will.
>>
File: 1355539932718.jpg (41KB, 397x400px) Image search: [Google]
1355539932718.jpg
41KB, 397x400px
>people said the age of handhelds was over after the DS
>Nintendo releases 3DS
>huge success
>people say the age of handhelds will be over after the 3DS

go figure
>>
>>254404524
Things change. smart phone penetration in Japan is rising year to year.
>>
>>254404667
See you when the 4DS is out.
>>
>>254402064
Fuck no. Nintendo will go out swinging with a gameboy hd if it ever starts to die out and not anytime soon.
>>
>>254404524
>huge success
Moderate at best compared to the DS.

But so far I'd say they'll be able to squeeze at least one more generation. The rest is always uncertain.
>>
>>254402064
Sony´s? Maybe. I guess its up to freedom wars.
Nintendo? Nein, niet, no. Nintendo is making more money with its handheld stuff than with home consoles. We might see the end of Nintendo home consoles, or even a the birth of a new hybrid, but Nintendo handhelds are here to stay.
>>
>>254404853
>The rest is always uncertain
Technically yes but there isn't a strong argument to be made to say it will disappear.
>>
>>254404667
Actually the bubble is already exploding and the fad starting to wear off.
>>
>>254404976
>I guess its up to freedom wars.
>Sony expects 1 million sales
>Shipped 218k first week
I'm not optimistic honestly.
>>
File: url.jpg (2MB, 3685x2400px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
2MB, 3685x2400px
>>254403234
>Pokemon

That's a dead franchise, it's all about Youkai Watch now.
>>
>>254404976
Yeah people keep mentioning a hybrid.

I'd love it. When I first say the wii u controller my first thought was can I take it and play somewhere far instead of 10 feet away or whatever the range is.
>>
>>254404976
>I guess its up to freedom wars
So yes?
>>
>>254405032
Yeah I wasn't agreeing with the OP.
Personally I don't even care for handhelds anyway. Consoles are comfier, too bad that they all kinda suck nowadays.
>>
>>254404853
The success of the DS is the highest a handheld has ever gone. Now I doubt the 3DS will surpass it, but I am pretty sure it'll surpass the Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, original Game Boy, Game & Watch, PSP, Vita, Game Gear, and whatever other handhelds have existed in sales.
>>
>>254405124
Nobody in North America or Europe who isn't a /v/irgin even knows what that is so I'm gonna say Pokemon is just fine, even if Japan has a new monster game.
>>
>>254404667
>smart phone gaming
literally meritless
please don't tell me you actually play games on your phone
>>
>>254405153
I dont know, I cant see the future and neither you can. It bombed in jp with only 200k sales. Its up to murrika.
>>
>>254405124

>Pokemon
>dead
>last game has sold over 12 million units worldwide

I'm not usually one for sales figures, but seriously that shit is ANYTHING but dead.
>>
>>254405124

Those things are uglier than most of the uglier pokemon.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 434x618px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 434x618px
>>254405312
>>
Let it just be the end of proprietary handhelds.

Let there just be one system and a handheld device that plays the same exact games as one would on a stationary console. Let us choose if we play a game on a TV at home or on a portable TV in our hands. No separate products, no separate development, everyone wins.
>>254403539
I don't see there being any difference in playing a game on a 3DS or a phone.

If it's not at least playable on my TV, it's not worth my time.
>>
>>254405343
I'm predicting it is not going to save the platform. I will donate $50 to Sony if it does.
>>
>original DS sold over 150 million units
>3DS has sold more than all home consoles combined and is the best selling hardware week after week
>is this the end of handhelds?
OH GOD OH GOD IM SO RETARDED HURR DURR
>>
I don't think Nintendo will ever stop with handhelds. They're pretty good at taking people by surprise with them. Every time someone says "What gimmick could they possibly use now?" Nintendo replies with "Well, how about we just show you." and then they do.

I legitimately have no clue where Nintendo can go with handhelds at this point aside from HD graphics for the next gen of handhelds, but we'll see. I'm sure they've got something in the works already.
>>
>>254405124
>Dead franchise
>12 millions sales
Ok

Youkai is a promising franchise, but there is still a long way until it reaches pokemon numbers.
>>
>>254405343

>Its up to murrika

Freedom Wars is fucked.
>>
>>254405415
No thanks commie
>>
>>254405343
well at least even after yoshida's snarky comments on how yuropeans will hopefully find the game they decided a retail version instead
>>
>>254405312
Not him and I hate most of them but I've found 3 I like to play.

Tetris
Cytus
Metal Slug Defense

They're pretty cancerous compared with other games but Tetris is basically just Tetris and all Cytus makes you do is wait 30 seconds to play.
>>
>>254405124
With half of those designs, it'll never lift of fin the west and gain the popularity Pokemon ever had and this is if they actually decide to localize the games.
>>
>>254405415
>I don't see there being any difference in playing a game on a 3DS or a phone.

That's because you're a massive dumbfuck.

>If it's not at least playable on my TV, it's not worth my time.

Yeah, what I said above.
>>
I hope Sony doesn't give up, I don't wanna be forced to put up with nintendo's shitty eshop, soccer-mom friendly translations and regionlocking
>>
It's likely that Nintendo will put out another one after the 3DS, but I'd say it's probably the end of the line for Sony.
>>
File: Sleaze McSleaze.jpg (9KB, 225x274px) Image search: [Google]
Sleaze McSleaze.jpg
9KB, 225x274px
>>254405415
Your stupid little unified platform agenda was stupid in the 80s and it's even dumber now. Do you really think I can't tell that you only want this for better ways to fuck over consumers?
>>
File: Retard Alert.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
Retard Alert.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>254405415
>I don't see there being any difference in playing a game on a 3DS or a phone
That's retarded.

>I don't see any difference between playing on a console and PC

Same tier comment.
>>
>>254405415

I don't like that because what makes handhelds special is that they aren't consoles. They generally are a haven for a different kind of design philosophy - smaller games or games with a higher risk concept have a better shot at succeeding on handhelds these days. Personally I don't like where console gaming is going, so for me this idea would kill handhelds.
>>
>>254404853
well the ds one of the best selling consoles off all time, not a fair comparison honestly. the 3ds is tracking behind(in hardware and software sales) the ds and gba(both of nintendos most successful consoles) but ahead of the GBC, PSP, GB etc etc

it will probably sell 70-80 million when all said and done
>>
I'm so glad I'm finally selling my 3ds tomorrow.
>>
Handhelds are bigger than consoles in Japan so they are never going to end soon
>>
>>254405124
You had to jump into the monster craze decades ago if you wanted to hold ground in this day and age. So long as Pokemon exists, every other game about capturing monsters and using them to fight will go under the radar, except for maybe the Dragon Quest monster games, which are still kind of overlooked.
>>
>>254405448
I think they believe if they wish it hard enough it becomes reality.

That's a real movement by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction_%28New_Thought%29
>>
>>254405716
I own Vita. And it is pretty damn terrible.
Hardware wise the only good thing about it is the display (which they got rid of in newer revision).
Other than that - buttons are small, analog sticks are not as comfortable as for example the 3ds slider. Replacing game cartridge is very clunky experience, who the heck thought of doing it like a memory card.
But that's minor issues, games on the other hand... jesus fucking christ I want to kill the assholes who came up with touch controls.

Lumines, Wipeout 2048 (which has way more terrible music and simpler controls) - menu controls only via touchscreen. WHY? What the actual fuck? Game controls via buttons, but menu to get into the game - only touch, buttons do not respond!
Stupid Modnation I got via PS+ is worse - there is a ton of customatization in that game with little short sliders, which you CAN'T precise control via buttons, ONLY via touch controls. It was most terrible way to control all that shit.

Dynasty Warriors goes fucking higher. Menu controls perfectly via buttons, but when you get into the game - TOUCH SCREEN TO ACTIVATE MUSOU ATTACK - WHYYY!?!?! There are a lot of perfectly free buttons and button combinations. What the fuuuck...
And then "SHAKE YOU SYSTEM TO INCREASE DAMAGE" - fucking serious?

Don't forget wonderful "region free" thing. Yeah you can use any game on a system, but what about DLCs? PSN only games? If you want something from PSN of other region - be ready to format you memory card because Vita can use only fucking one PSN acc at a time.
Oh, and PSP games looks blurry as hell, especially text on games like FF Tactics is just blurry enough to be hurting to read.

And bullshit like this is the reason PS Vita sucks balls, only thing which actually gave me a reason to keep it is gorgeous Muramasa Rebirth, Disgaea 3/4. And few other games I'm planning to obtain. But if there isn't any particular set of games you clearly want - I'd avoid this piece of touch madness as plague.
>>
>>254404976

I really don't see the hybrid ever working.

A hybrid would be too expensive for fans who only own Nintendo handhelds and households with multiple children who each would want one.

A hybrid would be guaranteed to be even less of a jump than the WiiU was and would not be liked by console owners as much.

I think they'd lose out massively with a hybrid and I mean less than half of the 3DS's current sales while putting all their eggs in one basket.

If they do a console and handheld spanning both low and high price points but with many of the same games and cross buy I think they'd do better in the 9th generation than the 8th.
>>
>>254405893
hope you at least beat fire emblem, it's the only decent game on the 3ds
>>
>>254404121
>>play a game while your hand obscures what is happening in order to interact with it
Phones just need a rear touchpad like the Vita has.
>>
absolutely.
>>
>>254405484
I hope they localize it but it will never be popular outside of Japan because it's too Japanese.

Kids can get into Squirtles and Mankeys and Rapidashes but they can't get into KOSEKI JITSU BOKU RAMA SHINJI type stuff and parents won't want to buy it.

Again I'm speaking for the broad market. I'd buy it the second it's localized. I'd buy it already but region lock.
>>
>>254405124
Yokai Watch's appeal to japanese kids partly has to do with how it incorporates their culture. I doubt it can get the international appeal Pokemon has.
>>
>>254406030
You'll have a pretty shitty experience with the Vita if you use it for anything other than being a weeb machine.
>>
>>254402064
For Sony? Most likely. For Nintendo? Seeing how popular the 3ds is in japan, hell no
>>
>>254406275
There are even better weeb machines though is the thing.

PS3 and PSP come to mind.
>>
>>254405415
You don't understand why there is a handheld/console split. People wanted to play games on the go, but anyone knows that a portable device will have less power than a stationary one.

The west likes power. They want consoles and PCs and big rigs. The more power and realism, the better.
Japan prefers convenience. They want to be able to bring their games with them, power isn't really that important to them.

Big name western developers generally ignore handhelds, they see them as devices for children because they're not super powerful or realistic. That's why most big games on handhelds are Japanese. You are not going to find a western console manufacturer who wants to make a portable device because it will bomb because western consumers want POWER.

If they do happen to make a handheld as powerful as a high-end gaming PC, you can bet your ass it'll cost a fuckton of money, much, much more than if it was console size. And because of that, it will bomb because no one will be able to afford it, and publishers won't bother investing in a device with such a hefty price tag.
>>
shita will probably be the last sony handheld
>>
>>254402064
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7m7ttIjXTo
>>
I still can't believe a handheld in this current generation has a resolution of 400×240.
>>
>>254406401
except that 3ds slider comparison where else did you got the idea that he was okay with various 3ds flaws?
>>
The 3DS is the best selling hardware every week and that new Pokemon moved > 1 million units in a week in japan alone. Nintendo handhelds are going nowhere
>>
>>254406401
>is okay with the 3DS' 240p eye-cancer screen and atrocious browser, camera, and music player
>just what the fuck is wrong with you

Are you some sort of clown or do you just value shit that has nothing to do with good games. Did you decry the Gameboy for monochrome display while changing your colour display gamegears batteries every hour?

Which system had the most memorable titles?
>>
>>254406106
Yeah that would be acceptable. Still, I want to get away from touch screen and back towards buttons.

Touch-screen fags have had plenty of time to get their rocks off, it's been long enough.
>>
>>254406413
True, but some people want newer or exclusive to the Vita weeb games. And then some people try to get it as a legitimate handheld and are disappointed by the lack of anything BUT weeb games.
>>
>>254405454
A patent was made last year by Nintendo of a portable 3DS-like device with replaceable buttons. You basically get the option of having up to 4 sets of ABXY buttons, 4 sets of Dpads, or 4 sets of Circle Pads, and you can mix and match. You just slide the set you want right into the top or bottom right or left side of the handheld.
>>
>>254406898
>True, but some people want newer or exclusive to the Vita weeb games
That's so niche it's basically /mu/ though.
>>
File: NEW NINTENDO GAME MACHINE DX.png (18KB, 669x619px) Image search: [Google]
NEW NINTENDO GAME MACHINE DX.png
18KB, 669x619px
I'm actually really curious as to what sort of handheld Nintendo could be cooking up next. Think they'll ever do less than two screens again?

I'd like to see something with
>Bigger carts
>Dual joysticks/circlepads standard
>either pairs of shoulder buttons or shoulders and triggers (with some sort of way to slide the triggers into the system so they don't get all messed up in your pocket)
>AT LEAST Wii-tier graphics
>Screen/speakers that fold in to the middle, but nice comfy hand-holds and buttons

Oh fuck it I just drew a picture.
>>
>>254406782

That's one thing I never understood about people who bitch about the 3DS' resolution. Yeah Vita's is better, but if 3DS's is so bad then how do you play any handheld that predates the fucking PSP? I get that standards shift and evolve as time goes on but we're making a mountain out of a molehill here. I jump between my launch 3DS and Vita all the time and it's not that jarring.
>>
>>254406475

>that sen no kiseki spoiler footage in the top corner

GOD DAMNIT
>>
>>254406106

No, they need some buttons, control sticks (nubs, whatever) and a d-pad.

Only ultra casuals think touch screens are a replacement for buttons and proper controls. Physical feedback is extremely important in many games, and touch screens just can't emulate it.
>>
So Nintendo keeps trying to try new things with each new handheld
DS did touchscreen
3DS did 3D without the glasses among other things
What will the next handheld bring to the table?
>>
>>254405893
Selling it before PQ, Layton x AA and ORAS.

>But I dont liek pokeyman!
Then why the fuck did you buy a 3ds?
>>
>>254407001
Fucking Nintendo, man. So we're going to enter the era of customizable handhelds then? Sounds pretty neat, actually.

>>254406725
>Nintendo handhelds are going nowhere
I'm not sure why people think they'll stop when they basically monopolize the whole fucking market for handhelds.
>>
>>254407168
What did GBA do? Shoulder buttons (which had been present on consoles since SNES)?

DS seemed to be this huge innovational gamble and the 3DS was more of a cash-in on 3D and an opportunity to update the aging hardware.
>>
>>254402064
The Vita may not be selling much compared to the 3DS, but whether you like it or not it's already sold more than the GameBoy.
>>
>>254407071
The design looks a little clunky, but I like what you're looking for. Here's hoping Nintendo is able to make the perfect handheld one day. But the DS was the closest they'd come to perfection in a while.
>>
>>254406586
Japan doesn't give a shit about graphics, except for Square-Enix.
>>
>>254407286
>This game requires four circle pads!
>This game requires a special pad insert (sold separately)!
>Games having completely unique placements that make familiarizing yourself with the console nearly impossible

No, sir, I don't like it.

Actually, I'd have to witness one first to be certain.
>>
>>254407594

Wait, what. Like seriously, what.
>>
>>254407747

Based Japan. Artstyle > graphics.
>>
>>254407594
You rustled me pretty good, anon. No one can be that stupid.
>>
File: 1404358282632.gif (2MB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1404358282632.gif
2MB, 285x285px
>>254405415
>Vidya on a handheld
Same standards as console/PC gaming, familiar interface, platform is dedicated to gaming

>Vidya on a phone
Schlock slapped together by jews specifically designed to instill a constant sense of false progression and validation whilst encouraging you to spend a dollar for "just a few more moves."

Phone gaming is essentially the poster child for everything terrible about vidya going mainstream.

When my mind goes to the dark places... I envision the champion of cancer as a cum dumpster astride sentient horse armor wielding an iphone5 that burns with infernal flame.
>>
File: cantstandja.jpg (625KB, 362x480px)
cantstandja.jpg
625KB, 362x480px
>>254402064

I think consoles will become at least partly handheld. Sega was twenty years ahead of their time again.
>>
File: 1405347972531.jpg (55KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1405347972531.jpg
55KB, 239x239px
for sony yes, for nintendo no. Nintendo has already confirmed that they have another one in the works. But it will need to be pretty fucking good to stay alive.
>>
>>254407626
I don't have a stylus or anything so that's the best I could do. With that you'd have a nice bug screen and be able to grip it well with only shoulder/trigger buttons exposed when it's closed. The volume and brightness/menu buttons are in that bar on top (brightness, volume clickers, menu).

The only thing they keep getting wrong is how it fits in your FUCKING HANDS.

I get mad hand cramps if I play any DS for too long. It needs to be slightly rounded and with a place for your fingers to grip instead of supporting it with your palms or pinkies. Or be light enough to support with palms/pinkies and still have a decent grip.

And fold-away triggers would be cool. Maybe they have internal lock buttons that let you disengage the spring (or whatever) so you can either lock it in "out" position or "in" position. When it's out everything is pushed out (shoulders and triggers) but when it's in all the buttons are flush with the console.
>>
>>254402064
For Sony.

Nintendo will continue strong.
>>
>>254408375
>bug screen
Big. I meant big. I'm not an insect.
>>
>>254407082
Remember that we have people here that refuse to play older games or watch older media because it's not in HD.
>>
>>254404365
Sony? They're the ones destroying everything now. The day they die is the day gaming is saved.
>>
>>254408574
>Sony
>Not Micro$oft and american game companies in general

That was some fucking stink bait or something because I bit hard.
>>
>>254408105
Every time I see a gif from Frozen I get closer to ending it all.
>>
File: 1398571335295.gif (3MB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
1398571335295.gif
3MB, 390x293px
The next one better be a Game Boy, god damn it.
>>
>>254408574
Gaming doesn't need saving. There are more people than ever participating in this hobby and it's easier than ever to make or publish a game because tools are so much better.
>>
>>254407767
I think that developers will make games that fit the bare minimum, but will make optional control schemes that incorporate additional buttons for enhanced controls. It looks nothing like the Circle Pad Pro, like it's nowhere near as big. They're just little circular pieces of plastic that slide right into the side. A secondary Circle Pad piece would probably be $10 at the most, and be included with the console. I'll try to find the picture of the patent.

Also, I hope that 3D is brought into the next generation as well, I use it all the time on my 3DS.
>>
>>254408375
>It needs to be slightly rounded and with a place for your fingers to grip
Honestly, I feel kinda weird about that whole idea. I feel like having a grip would be fantastic and feel so much better, but then I feel like I wouldn't be able to go back to any other handheld Nintendo had made prior to the addition of finger grips.
>>
>>254402064
For Sony they should enter in the same market Nvidia Shield is doing. Sony is in the wrong market if they want people to care about specs. Xperia Play/PSM is what they need to be working on.

As for Nintendo I'm not sure how the handheld and console fusion thing would work. Another Wii U style hybrid wouldn't work. Cheap handheld that plays games by itself, and a console that plays games by itself would work.
>>
>>254408719
Sony has adopted Microsoft's policies. They are almost even at this point. The difference is people are cheering on Sony as if they are pro consumer.
>>
>>254408942
Well this place is sonygaf
>>
>>254408779
The age of the Game Boy is dead. Time to move on.
>>
so is nintendo going to stop forcing the double screen gimmick or what?
Also, fuck vita's touch screen it's so dumb
>>
>>254408942
Policies may be similar but the people behind them are vastly different. Microsoft has no fucking clue what they're doing anymore, at least Sony is slightly aware of how gaming is supposed to be.

Based Nintendo just needs to pull their fucking heads out of their asses and release a competitive console again.
>>
>>254408574

MS is far worse. Sony's biggest sin with handhelds is both the lack of a franchise to sell it and the know-how to market a handheld in the first place. The games they get aren't bad, it's just that they don't know how to get people to buy them. Coincidentally, this is the one thing MS is fucking amazing at. Say what you will about their games, but Jesus Christ can they market their shit.
>>
It's definitely Sony's.
>>
>>254405225
Outselling the GBA is pretty doubtful, too. At least year on year (it took what? 3 years for the DS to be released after the GBA?)

The handheld market is super small now. Only kids and nerds buy handhelds, and less and less kids are playing them every day. The PSP and DS sold a ton because Sony and Nintendo marketed them as filling the same niches phones do now (watch videos! Listen to music! Waste your time with games like Brain Age!) If you're not into Japanese games, what reason is there left to get an expensive dedicated handheld?

If anything, I expect this generation of handhelds to be dragged out for as long as the last one, if not longer. Nintendo and Sony's idea of competition will be providing something cheaper than a cell phone or iPod Touch to give to your kid.
>>
>>254408840
Nahh, you've been holding all of the past consoles differently anyways. regular GBA's you can usually palm pretty easy but the SP's had a more delicate pinchy grip. You'd be fine.
>>
>>254409124
That didn't work so well for the Gamecube.
>>
Next console will be an hybrid between home console and handled, at least that's the case for Nintendo.
Look at the Wii U and it's gamepad, the gap is closing.
>>
>>254409316
I have no idea how the Gamecube came out on the bottom in sales, but I remember it being the least popular when I was younger. It was still fun but I had one friend out of like 20-30 who owned one.
>>
>>254409124
>Sony is slightly aware of how gaming is supposed to be
What makes you say that? So far they've done everything to make me think otherwise with them supporting David Cage and their push for video games to be recognise as some art form? Sony is a joke and they come into this industry and survive now only to push this agenda. It's pretentious as fuck. Sony is a joke.
>>
>>254402736
PSM on vita is a fucking joke. Mostly shit-tier new indie devs who can't cut it port their trash on there with maybe an occasionally good game.
>>
>>254408779
It might be called something else entirely.
>Game & Watch line - 1980 to 1991
>Game Boy line (Game Boy, Pocket, Light, Color, Advance, SP, Micro) - 1989 to 2006
>Nintendo DS line (DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS) - 2004 to 2014+
>>
>>254409445

Weirdly enough I was the opposite. I knew more people with Gamecubes than PS2s. I didn't even know the Gamecube was unpopular until maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
>>
>>254409550
>Their entire comeback campaign against the XBone
I would call that slightly aware.
>>
>>254406586
>guys the NES has better graphics than DS because NES is 256 x 240 and DS is 256 x 192
>>
>>254409062
>Stop forcing
I can't go back to games without two screens. If they removed the second screen, there would be no backwards compatibility with DS or 3DS games, even through the eShop.
>>
>>254409585
So is the Vita. What are you trying to prove exactly?

>>254409642
I would call that common sense. That doesn't mean they are different. Both companies are striving for the same thing and they are doing the exact same thing right now.
>>
Why do western devs totally ignore the 3DS and Vita? Handhelds in general, actually. I can barely remember any good western handheld titles from the last decade or so.
>>
Ok 4chan I need your help.I was at the office (yes, I do have a job) and some old manager came to me while I was playing the ps vita.He thought it was a tablet.I told him it was a vg console.Then he wanted to see some games.I picked up some with good graphics that would impress normalfags.He was blown the fuck out.He then said some shit about how technology improves blablabla

But then 2 days ago he saw me playing the 3ds. I was playing pokemon

>Hey Anon, what happened with your PS? Did you sell it?
Uh..no, I have both, this is a Nintendo
>Oh a Nintendo,I had one long ago, what are you playing?
Pokemon...
>Oh Pokemon,the show that my kids watch...
Ehh...yeah,but the game is a bit more strategi..(interrupted by him)
>Let me see,enter a battle or something

He finds the obvious.240p low poly,shit textures everywhere,terrible sound,kiddie design,etc

>...why would you play that having that other PS?
>Is this thing a cheap option for poor people? Are the games cheaper than PS?
Eh, no,both cost 40 bucks
>Why would someone waste 40 usd on this when they could play those great PS games? Are people retarded? (he stops for second realizing he called me retarded)...you know what I mean, dont you feel scammed by Nintendo?
No, i-i-its about the games...
>If they are selling stuff with this kind of technology they should sell it at 10 bucks tops. No way I would pay the same money for a Nintendo game knowing how great those playstation titles look in that huge screen
>Why do you need 2 portable consoles anyways?
>Why do you like kid´s games?
>At least tell me the PS is selling 100 times more than the Nintendo one, because if they are selling the same then Nintendo must be doing some voodoo marketing to fool so many people
Well...the ps vita isnt really selling that much this days...

Luckily someone called him and interrupted our conversation.How can I tell him next time that he is a retarded normalfag that should be executed, without being rude,since my job depends on it?
>>
>>254409589

same here. my friends and I were (mostly still are) nintendrones. only my rich friend had both a ps2 and gamecube
>>
>>254408569

Now that you mention it I have seen a couple confessions here and there that people can't play anything older than a PS2 because the visuals were too dated. The end times are upon us.
>>
>>254405124
>The one on the top right is literally an ass breathing fart-breath
>>
>>254409828
>I can barely remember any good western handheld titles from the last decade or so
but henry hatsworth came out in 2009
>>
>>254407964
>Artstyle > graphics.

Both those words mean the same thing.
>>
>>254409904
Tell him that gameplay>graphics.
>>
>>254402064
it will be for sony. it would be crazy for nintendo to stop doing handhelds, and it would be crazy for sony to continue doing handhelds.
>>
>>254409828
because mobile has better margins and more exposure. It's pretty obvious why. Square Enix are catching onto it much quicker than western developers though. make a 100k bet with 4 guys working on a phone game for 5 months with a Final Fantasy name attached to it and boom. Easily triple your investment.
>>
>>254410092
>gameplay>graphics.

The 3DS' hardware gets in the way of Pokemon XY's gameplay. There are load times for everything and framerate drops galore. I really feel like the jump to 3D was half-assed and came way too soon.
>>
>>254408942

>this means Sony is at fault for Microsoft's practices

Bait harder.
>>
>>254409828
Western developers either go for high power and GRAFIX (consoles/PC) or low risk shovelware (mobile). There's no room for just an average gaming device that focuses on gameplay in the west.
>>
>>254410119
if you say margin and exposure one more time....
>>
>>254409814
How is a company taking a totally different approach to their sales campaign "not different"?

Also you keep saying they're striving towards the same thing but you're not saying what that/those same thing(s) is/are. Wow that sentence was clunky but you get the point.

As far as I can tell, Sony is just watching Microsoft fall at this point, and Microsoft is trying desperately to undo the damage that's been done.
>>
>>254410335
So Sony is not guilty of anything? Microsoft does not dictate their policies. Sony made those decisions and it's Sony's fault alone on this. Stop trying to find reason else where. Sony = MS.
>>
>>254409828

The west is all about consoles and PC. Nintendo handhelds get by because of Mario and Pokemon. Sony has...well, that's the problem right there. They don't have Mario or Pokemon. PSP only sold because of piracy. This is why I consider the idea of trying to force western AAA games on Vita to be pants on head retarded. You're aiming for a middle market that doesn't exist. There is no way to make a western AAA game on Vita that wouldn't be better on console or PC. Despite admirable efforts like Killzone Mercenary, it just doesn't stand up to its console peers in terms of content and control fluidity. Still, they did a bang-up job in that particular instance.
>>
File: 1363745292527.jpg (88KB, 649x440px) Image search: [Google]
1363745292527.jpg
88KB, 649x440px
>>254410114
>Next Nintendo handheld in 3-4 years will have Vita graphics and be sold for $200-$250.
>mfw we will be stuck with Vita-level graphics on handhelds for the next 10 years.
>>
>>254402064
If Nvidia releases a Shield successor with the Tegra K1 then handhelds will become irrelevant for me.
>>
>>254410548
>PSP sold because of piracy

What if Sony said "fuck it" and sold an emulation machine? Preloaded it with any emulators it could legally get its hands on and leave it "slightly" open to hacking?
>>
>>254410050
Graphics tend to refer to resolution and realism in conversations on /v/, while art style just refers to a style other than realism.
>>
>>254410519
Maximise profits by growing digital adoption of game purchases and downloads. They also want money from subscriptions because for steady revenue flow that they can at least count on in a weak quarter.
>>
>>254404667
>smartphones
>actually mattering when it comes to gaming handhelds.
shit nigga, i have a smartphone and play games on it time to time, but there is no way in hell i would choose it over my 3ds. i get teh same feeling when people think that console gaming is overtaking PC. do people buy more consoles than they do pcs? yes, but with smartphones having new versions of teh same fucking phone every year, people feel the need to buy those to stay up to date, where handhelds don't change for a good couple of years. with consoles, people buy the new one because they have to in order to play the latest games. if you have a pc and you can't run a game, chances are you're just going to upgrade a single part which =/= buying a new pc all together.
>>
>>254410050

Not quite. Graphics represents the actual tech side of things, artstyle is, well, the visual style. The better visuals on Wii are a good example of this - the graphics always fall short on Wii short of maybe the Galaxy/Conduit games, but games like MadWorld, No More Heroes, and Fragile Dreams rise above it with strong artstyles.
>>
>>254410707

If they basically made their own Ouya? It'd probably sell given the PSP's legacy.
>>
>>254410746
>>254410909

>Graphics represents the actual tech side of things
AKA The means by which an artstyle is achieved. Weak hardware limits art styles.

The "graphics v art style" argument is pretty much

>"I only like this game for its graphics and I don't feel like a knob about it because the art style isn't grounded."
>>
>>254410707
Then absolutely no exclusives would be made for it because there would be no profit in doing so. It would also kill their PS1/PS2 virtual markets.
>>
>>254410601
More than enough. The only thing that the ps vita needs is nintendo games to be perfect.
>>
>>254410787
Fair enough, but meanwhile Xbox has also been pushing mandatory subscriptions for internet use and mandatory internet connectivity, plus a mandatory peripheral (until recently). Sony has made the subscription optional for most multiplayer games (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong), allows regular internet use, doesn't force any peripherals and started the trend of giving out free games with a subscription.
>>
>>254411121

>Weak hardware limits art styles

There's some truth to that, but what has been accomplished with relatively weak hardware is telling sometimes. If you can't have good graphics, make it look good in other ways.
>>
>>254411175
Let me be more specific:

They would open up stores to allow people to buy roms for the older games. And maybe make it watertight against hacking (or at least hacking for things it can already emulate) to promote sales.
>>
>>254407071
>at least wii-tier graphics

Yeah, because making it more costly to make video games for the sake of graphics worked out super well for the Vita right?
>>
>>254411551
>implying this console would come out right now
3DS is still kicking and will be for a few more years. Down the road a ways we'd be set for better graphics in a handheld.

Also it was a lack of worthwhile exclusives (or games in general) that really killed the Vita.
>>
>>254411241
It feels so weird, though. By the time the Vita graphics are outdated on handhelds, we'll have HMDs, 4K TVs will be common, as will 4K phones. The mobile industry is blazing ahead due to the smartphones, and phone people already see the Vita the way gamers see the 3DS. I'll probably end up buying the next DS/Gameboy for my kid, and hearing them complain about how old fashioned it is. :/
>>
>>254411389
>>254410787
I was wrong about the PS4 multiplayer being mostly free. My bad.
>>
>>254402064
Maybe in the West.

They're still doing very well in Japan, and also in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. It's possible that next generation of handhelds will only be released in East Asia, but there WILL be a next generation for Nintendo at least. Sony is a bit more of a question mark simply because so much of Sony's whole future as a company is up in the air, but if SCE survives, I expect they will probably stay in the handheld market, too.
>>
>>254411551
>>254411725
The Vita's problem isn't really a lack of games, so much as it's a lack of notable IPs. The 3DS didn't get it's legs until Nintendo games came out for it. and pretty much all the handheld IPs that actually sell well are on Nintendo systems.

>Yeah, because making it more costly to make video games for the sake of graphics worked out super well for the Vita right?

Japanese devs don't think like Western devs do. They don't see powerful hardware and decide to make games that push the system to the limit and bankrupt the developers. They use it to make development easier and give themselves overhead. The Vita's hardware is only bad news to Redditfags who want to play Skyrim on the go.
>>
>>254411868

Does it really matter as long as there is an improvement and the games are good?

I'd rather play something that looks outdated but has excellent gameplay and controls. "It doesn't have good enough graphics" just sounds like a cheap excuse from people valuing secondary parts of games(visual fidelity) above the primary.
>>
>>254410042
Lower left clearly has a phallic headpiece thing going on, too. Just wait until Fox News sees that....
>>
>>254409705
But muh numbers and bits
>>
>>254410601
>caring about graphics on a handheld
you know what killed the vita? Most devs cant afford to make games for it since they need AAA bugdet because of graphics as opposed to low bugdet games on previous handhelds
>>
>>254412306
>The Vita's problem isn't really a lack of games, so much as it's a lack of notable IPs. The 3DS didn't get it's legs until Nintendo games came out for it. and pretty much all the handheld IPs that actually sell well are on Nintendo systems.

Yup. It's brand names that sell and grab eyeballs. Quality and sales have long since been divorced. MH4 exclusivity was a catastrophic loss for vita in terms of perception. Nintendo ate sony's lunch, and everyone knew it.
>>
>>254408574
>gaming is saved

There he goes again with his maymays...
>>
>>254412443
I think the Vita is a good ceiling for handheld games, at least for the time being. It took a few years for me to go "wow, the PSP looks awful", and that was just because of the resolution. 544p is pretty decent. What's weird is that Nintendo and Sony were breaking out of the "IT SELLS BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP AND RELIABLE" mindset for handhelds and now we're going back to it. Sony knows making a 3rd PSP is suicidal and Nintendo never jumps to cutting edge, so we'll really be on this level for quite some time. I'm not really upset per se, it's just, I dunno, weird.

>>254412831
Most Vita devs don't make Western-style AAA games. They just make games that use the hardware power for stability and overhead. the idea that "Power = Expensive Games" only applies to Western AAAs.
>>
>>254412909

Just imagine the 4+ million people who bought MH4 in Japan, and if that shit was on Vita. It probably wouldn't have done THAT well, but it would've helped the Vita tremendously.
>>
>>254412909

Sony also didn't deliver quality though, a lot of their "console quality games on the go" like CoD were critically panned, Sony's own ports are pretty bad as well especially compared to Square Enix's efforts with FFX and FFX-2.
>>
>>254412306
Sony doesn't really have high properties like that though. Not big ones that sell millions in Japan anyway. Their biggest IP are western and Japan doesn't exactly buy them in droves like Pokemon or MonHun. Nintendo also happen to have some of the most talented developers in Japan. It's not exactly easy for Studio Japan to compete and it's not really ethical for Sony to buy exclusives that they will not own. It's just shitty short term bandage like what Microsoft has done with Dead Rising.
>>
>>254413163
>"console quality games on the go"

A fool's errand from the beginning. Handhelds have never been a haven for Western games, and handheld Japanese games never needed the Vita's horsepower to thrive. Sony was retarded to try and marry console-level games and handhelds. They mix like oil and water.
>>
>>254410795
>people feel the need to buy those to stay up to date
Good lord why? I'm probably going to have this Galaxy S3 for like 5 years. At least 3. This is my first smartphone.
>>
>>254404976
>I guess its up to freedom wars.
Welp, guess there's no Re:Vita.
>>
>>254413504
>Samsung anything for 5 years

You'd have been better off with a Nexus, tbh. Samsung cancels updates quick to goad people into buying new phones.

>>254404976
It's such a pipe dream, but what if Sony's PlayStation division and Nintendo merged? Wouldn't that be nice?
>>
Handhelds were my preference over home consoles. I'm not liking what Nintendo has offered for the 3DS, and they're too stupid to into digital and online communication. Haven't tried the Vita, but looks like most of my purchases will be imports.

I'm overall disappointed with this generation of handhelds so far. Who knows though. Sony might surprise me. The PSP was a joke, I hated it. Maybe the Vita is different.

>>254405124
Bait or total idiot. Nintendo most likely won't localize this. It has a culture gap that sensitive Christian American soccer moms will raise a huge fuss about moreso than they did with Pokemon. Pokemon sells well.
>>
>>254413163
LBPV
Tearaway
SSD
FW
Gravity Rush
flower
etc

Sony's done decently in terms of games. They need more though. The lack of western studio support or even recognition is laughable. The running joke now is that sony is intentionally trying to kill the vita, though I'm not so sure it's a joke.
>>
>>254413959
Decent isn't enough. They need something that will light people on fire. No one has any clue what most of those IP's are either.
>>
>>254413959
>The lack of western studio support or even recognition is laughable.

No handheld ever had decent western support. Except for maybe the Vita.

>>254414069
The Vita is the new Sega Saturn. Nothing will or could save it. It will be niche until it ends its run and Sony will never make another handheld.
>>
>>254413863
Do their updates render the phone useless? I'm pretty sure that's illegal.
>>
>>254414069
>No one has any clue what most of those IP's are either
That's because all of them, Wipeout and LBP aside, are new. I guess you could say consumers don't like new things.
>>
>>254413863
>It's such a pipe dream, but what if Sony's PlayStation division and Nintendo merged? Wouldn't that be nice?
It would be fitting since SCE was created through an attempted partnership with Nintendo.

It would be good to see Nintendo buy SCE so it can be saved from the vortex that is Sony.
>>
>>254414208
Not really. You just won't have Android 20.0.
>>
>>254414069
New IPs don't do that anymore. The last one to have that happen was MH and it took YEARS. Maybe, sony can try to ape L5 and create an anime and toys to market a game, but that's an awful lot of work just to get a million seller that'll probably fizzle in a couple years when the new trend hits.
>>
>>254414226
Yeah, Uncharted really didn't do enough for it either.
>>
>>254402064
They'll emerged as Samsung 3DVita.
>>
>>254414334
No. Neither of them handle shit well. They both need to step it up, not one bullshit division buying another bullshit division and just making more bullshit.
>>
>>254414208
>>254414349
Don't forget greater and greater app compatibility issues. Holding back updates on non-nexus phones have led devs to work hard on compatibility, though, so you might be okay for a while.
>>
>>254414226
>I guess you could say consumers don't like new things.

That's always the case, it has to be something extremely significant. Even Nintendo needed massive hits like Tetris to kickstart the gameboy and Pokémon to carried it into it's later life.

The Nintendo DS sales exploded because of touch generation software like Nintendogs, Brain Training,etc.

The PSVita lacks these kind of titles and it's partially Sony's own fault for not having their own major developers create new ideas for it, they just put B-teams on it.
>>
>>254413945
>and they're too stupid to into digital
Not too bad. They're getting better all the time.

>online communication
Monster Hunter 4U will have online communication, including on 3DS. It's a start.
>>
>>254413945
>sensitive Christian American soccer moms will raise a huge fuss about
I would say less fuss.

>Pokemon
>Evolution
>a controversial topic in Christnated States of America

>Youkai
>Ghosts
>Not controversial, all Christians believe in a Holy Ghost
>>
>>254413959
Can't you guys just let them put it out of its misery?

It's like letting a dog limp along on two legs.
>>
>>254414629
The WiiU would be doing great if they tried to compete with a more powerful console. The Vita would be doing great if it had any notable IPs. The console market as a whole would be doing better if all the good Japanese games weren't divided into so many platforms.
>>
>>254414779
>Don't forget greater and greater app compatibility issues
Eh, I don't especially care. The aps I use won't be made worse or unusable from a lack of upgrade and it's a phone first and an app-clusterfuck second. I can still get on the internet and use the practical aps I want. I can't imagine how ridiculous you'd have to be to demand a new one every year. Maybe 3 years at minimum, that's fine.
>>
>>254413945
I fucking hate soccer moms
Cancerous piece of shit sluts
They are the reason Swapnote is kill.
>>
>>254415269
The Wii U is doing poorly but it's not horrendous. Its future looks much brighter than it's past, which is unfortunately not the same for Vita. I still think Smash is gonna sell a few Wii U's especially with it coming Q4.
>>
>>254415303
Child prostitution is the reason Swapnote is kill.
>>
>>254415139
All Sony has to do is say it's dead, but they don't all the while spouting things like it's an "extender" now and such. They have to put it out of its misery not the consumers.
>>
>>254402064
Nah. Handhelds print money for Nintendo so they're not gonna stop making them anytime soon.
>>
Handhelds > Consoles

Is much more easy the extinction of the consoles than the handhelds. A handheld with input tv and those shits maybe can be the future.
>>
>>254415269
>The Vita would be doing great if it had any notable IPs.
Nah. Initial price point was way too high in this day and age. Proprietary memory cards also created another barrier for potential customers. Sony once again just like with the PS3 were slow to react to the market.
>>
>>254415303
bey

>>254415482
No it isn't. The response to misuse of it is what killed it. It's just easier to shut it all down than to keep it going because of whiny, shitty parents.
>>
>>254414802
Sony thought that ports of AAA console titles is what people wanted. That's not what people want though.

If I'm sitting on a bus for 10 minutes tops with a million distractions, do I really want to start playing Uncharted? I mean seriously what the actual fuck.

Sony has absolutely no idea what handhelds are for. On the other hand, there are plenty of good DS and 3DS titles for such occasions, as well as titles you can get immersed in while at home.

Sony deserves everything they've gotten with the PSP and the Vita. They are clueless and they don't learn.
>>
>>254405143

A hybrid device should exist now. The 3DS should be able to transmit to the Wii-U so you can simply use it as a relay to play games on the big screen, same for the Vita / PS3 / PS4. That's pretty much the killer feature I would want, the ability to play the same game on a TV set and on a portable device that keep each other up to date with the same progress. Nintendo needs to get on board with this, and also transition to universal accounts that are not tied to specific platforms/hardware. You oughta be able to play your eshop Super Mario Land 2 on both devices after buying it once.

It's simple really, make a working version for both platforms (even simpler if it's emulation, you only have to write a emulator once for each platform), and some infrastructure to sync save data, something internet based preferably (cloud saves like Steam does it) so you don't have to be near your home console with your portable to get your latest progress.

I think one of the PS4 promotional videos I watched mentioned something like this, does it do it yet? If so, Nintendo needs to catch up.
>>
>>254414878
The Wii U is making progress with online. The 3DS is not. Microsoft and Sony do this, and Nintendo doesn't because "children". It's annoying.

>>254415010
The holy ghost is not the same as other spirits to them, "friendly" demons and the like. There is no such concept as a "friendly" demon to soccer moms. They're all bad. Any "ghost" besides the holy ghost is a "product of Satan" and is going to be bitched about. "Another 'god' besides my God?" It's a preposterous thought for them.
>>
>>254415921

The Vita got that improved remote play function where you can play your ps4 games on the vitas screen

Comfy tier feature
>>
>>254415476
They're both doing about as badly as the next. I'd expect the Vita to reach Saturn numbers and the WiiU to hit a bit under Gamecube numbers.
>>
>>254415921
Funny thing is the original vita has a tv out (PSP too), but sony refused to expose that feature, then axed it in the 2000 model. Strange company.
>>
>>254415921

Aside from the concept of refined cross-play that you're suggesting, I don't see the point of a hybrid console. I already said it earlier in this thread, but for me the appeal of handhelds is that they aren't consoles. The last thing I want is for the two to be meaningfully tied.
>>
>>254415637

Theres more fucking games out there an AAA ports for the vita

What is really wrong with you anons? Do you not look for any games for the thing? Theres also more than weeb shit.

YES the vita also has shovelware you can play in public
Why would you be indulging in such a distraction in public anyway? Where I live if i pulled out a handheald some weird ass old bum might try and rob me

Lucky privileged fuck
>>
>>254403539
>The second handhelds die I quit vidya
the good portable content will move to phones with separate controllers, and what about PC?

The Plebest
>>
File: badly drawned jew.gif (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
badly drawned jew.gif
17KB, 200x200px
>>254416510
why charge them 10 burgers for a tv output cable when you can do the same for 99 instead
>>
>>254416579

I'm guessing it's because you're getting different, hand held focused game design, right? Different genres and games made just for handhelds?

I'd be fine with just a one way street, if I could play my handheld games on a TV, but not more powerful console games on the handheld. Two way street would be great though.
>>
>>254403539
>Phone gaming

Movies, games, anime books usually point at cell phones being the ultimate physical device before we start filling our bodies with tech.

Near the end cell phones will be strong enough to play graphically intensive games and have some nice holographic interfaces

I fucking hate cellphones. Id really hate if all Vidya ended up on cells
>>
>>254416758
vita tv isn't compatible with a lot of games and is a dumb reason to do that. I think they were just throw crap at the wall and hoping for it to stick. Maybe they figured price was the problem and a 99usd would solve it. If they were looking for money, I'd be willing to bet the 10usd addon would be a more profitable move than the vita tv. Less marketing, less engineering, cables have huge markups, etc.
>>
>>254416668
>YES the vita also has shovelware you can play in public
Except nobody EVER plays VIta's in public. I have never ever seen somebody use a Vita in public.

People who play Vita's are playing weebshit in dark musty rooms. In other words, it's useless as a handheld, which is a problem because it is one.
>>
>>254402064
Maybe for Sony I don't see how they can improve on the Vita right now without making it cost more. Nintendo on the other hand there is no chance. Handhelds is the only reason Nintendo is keeping there head above water. I also believe 3ds is done. Nintendo have given it games and now they are going to move onto the next handheld.
>>
>>254416896

My issue with a two-way street is that it'd probably homogenize the fuck out of handhelds. It's a cool idea in concept, but I see it as one of those ideas that's only cool IN CONCEPT. Kinda like how supposedly people wished games would become more cinematic after seeing games like FF7 in action, and look where we are now.
>>
For Sony definitely.
For Nintendo, unlikely.
>>
>>254417529
>I also believe 3ds is done. Nintendo have given it games and now they are going to move onto the next handheld.
It's consistently topping hardware charts. As in it is outselling shitty western home consoles every single week.

Nintendo won't abandon the thing that is making them a ton of money right now. I'm assuming you are thinking of E3 when you say Nintendo are finished with it. E3 is a western show and the Wii U needed love desperately.
>>
>>254417901
I'm not even that concerned either way. Sony and Nintendo's 1st party handheld games are super disappointing this gen. From here on in I'm weebing it up.
>>
>>254417558

I think as technology marches on, handhelds will catch up to modern console game design anyway. I don't think you're gonna see a whole lot of inferior, lower resolution stuff for long just because it's on a handheld. The smart phone industry is pushing that tech forward, too, with better, smaller, more energy efficient processors that can do 10x better with each iteration. I just think the uniqueness of handhelds that comes from working with limited resources is closing the gap, is all.
>>
>>254417383
>I have never ever seen somebody use a Vita in public.

Probably because you're in dark musty rooms more than you're in public?
Think about that anon

And Ive seen a lot of people playing Vitas down on Campus here. In Cafes and at conventions, groups of friends at the mall etc
>>
>>254415965
>The holy ghost is not the same as other spirits to them, "friendly" demons and the like. There is no such concept as a "friendly" demon to soccer moms. They're all bad. Any "ghost" besides the holy ghost is a "product of Satan" and is going to be bitched about. "Another 'god' besides my God?" It's a preposterous thought for them.
I don't know if I trust you as an authority on this.
>>
>>254415637
You clearly don't own a Vita because your talking out your ass. There are tons of 10min shitty distraction games on the Vita only someone who doesn't own a Vita would say otherwise.
>>
>>254415965
>The Wii U is making progress with online. The 3DS is not. Microsoft and Sony do this, and Nintendo doesn't because "children". It's annoying.
You really paint everything in a broad brush that doesn't really reflect the nuances of the situations.
>>
>>254416668
>It has everything you possibly could want!
>Okay tell me about it
>GOD YOU CAN'T EVEN LOOK FOR YOURSELVES
Fine fag, you're the one trying to sell the damn thing.
>>
>>254418391

Thats basically religious black moms in a nutshell anon
The more strict ones with their faith anyway

Rrrreally fucking annoying and teeth gritting to hear something related to god/satan if you're playing vidya around them every 5 minutes too
>>
>>254417383
I have seen this as well.

The one time I saw somebody with a Vita they were at the Nintendo Best-Buy event this year and they were not hiding their power level. We hung out for a minute so I could try it out (he was nice) but holy shit the smell off of him. I'm not even trying to be all Quentin or something but Jesus Christ, take showers people at least 1 time a week if you're going out in public like that.
>>
>>254418681
Just tell them you want to fuck them sinfully hard. It's not like they can take you. Best case scenario they are repressed and agree.
>>
>>254418507
Only somebody who doesn't truly have a Vita would try to defend it this way.
>>
>>254417901
They already have 2014 has been a shit year for 3ds. What is it getting in 2015 2 games? Nintendo is abandoning it as we speak, the reason being that it's already made it's peak sales. 3ds will continue to trend down and Nintendo need to look ahead at the next device.
>>
So long as there is a steady advance in technology regarding memory and graphics, there will always be handheld gaming.
>>
>>254419194
>it's already made it's peak sales
Didn't know Nintendo employed fortune tellers.
>>
>>254419194

Lot of games coming out in the home country that'll keep it alive for a while
No games for Murica and places that aren't murica
>>
>>254419175
Nigga not him but there's many short burst games on the vita. If you're mentally challenged you should refrain from trying to state what you believe to be facts.
>>
>>254415965
>The Wii U is making progress with online. The 3DS is not
Nintendo doesn't invest heavily into online because once the online dies the game dies. Sectioning off a portion of gameplay for online and killing it off at the end of a generation kills a portion of the game.

So the question is: Should Nintendo split development effort between single player and online, or focus on one that will stand the test of time?
>>
>>254419175
You need to give your head a shake your just making up bullshit. Now your defensive because someone called you out on it.
>>
>>254418507
>There are tons of 10min shitty distraction games on the Vita only someone who doesn't own a Vita would say otherwise.

The 3DS has great games which are designed that way:
*Luigi's Mansion 2 has a short mission structure.
*Mario 3D Land follows that with it's level design.
*Star Fox 64 3D already fits that design.
*Mario Kart 7 has cups which fit into 10-15 minutes to beat.

The problem is that the PSVita has poor quality handheld designed games and poor quality "console quality" titles.
>>
>>254419592
Only somebody who never even looked at a Vita in their life would respond this way.
>>
>>254419194
you know, since 2015 isn't happening for 6 months, and then will CONTINUE to happen for an entire year, I think it's possible (maybe) that more games will get announced?

naaaah, that's stupid. nothing is happening system is dead time to move on
>>
>>254419497
Only somebody who doesn't understand what Sony handhelds are could possibly infer something like this.
>>
>>254419508
>Nintendo doesn't invest heavily into online because once the online dies the game dies. Sectioning off a portion of gameplay for online and killing it off at the end of a generation kills a portion of the game.
I really appreciate this philosophy. I don't want games I can't play when the servers are pulled.This is why I can't really get into MMOs.

As a side note, is that what Destiny is? Like there is no offline single player? I was told that but I don't think it's true.
>>
>>254419957
>Like there is no offline single player? I was told that but I don't think it's true.
I hope not. I really don't know all that much about its online play.

But I do know paying $60 for a game and having a portion of it killed off feels like I wasted money. It really is a terrible feeling.
>>
>>254415637

You're not the only demographic. Think about when you were like, say 10-12 years old. Maybe your family made you go camping, or to stay in a beach house for a week vacation. If you were like I was, you were sad to leave your video games behind. I even dragged my consoles and a portable TV with me because I was so stubborn. That kid might totally wanna play uncharted for a week even though it's not right for a 20 year old on the bus for 10 minutes.
>>
Let's talk about mobile games that people actually play

I am rank 49 in Puzzle and Dragons
>>
>>254420437
>That kid might totally wanna play uncharted for a week
I don't think I would have wanted to play Uncharted for a week at any age.

Good games sure.
>>
>>254404336
>optimistic about the vita

why. it's pretty much stuck in a cycle of

>consumer: oh look this has no games, better not buy it
>dev: oh look, this has no user base, better not develop for it
>consumer: oh look, this has no games, better not buy it

Sony's pretty much handed it off to indies but I doubt they'll have enough clout to "save" it.
>>
>>254420569
Of course, I was just making a point, I am not interested in Uncharted either. Swap in any serious attempt to have a full console experience on a handheld you prefer, it doesn't matter. Resident Evil Revelations maybe? Whatever it is, your 10 year old self would have totally loved to have it during some boring stretch you were made to endure. It's easy to forget this shit once you're an adult, especially if you've had a gameboy of some kind your whole life. You aren't really the primary demographic anymore.
>>
>>254420374

Yes it's always online even for single player.
http://gamerant.com/bungie-destiny-always-online-requirement/

Though you'd think this game would get a bit of backlash for it because it essentially puts the whole game on a life-line for who knows how long.

The game disk is essentially going to become non-functional in X amount of years.
>>
>>254421062
Knowing Sony they will release a successor to the Vita. Instead of selling off their bleeding TV division what did I had to constantly endure during the WC?
>SONY 4K SONY 4K SONY 4K
They like to hold on to stuff.
Also the Vita is not selling that badly in Japan. Maybe for the next gen our weebs that dislike everything that isn't weeb will have to play all their games in Japanese because western support will be dropped entirely.
>>
>>254421062

Worst part is Sony is almost acting like they're a third party to their own system, they're pussyfooting around actually supporting properly it themselves.

Like how they had to be convinced to sell Freedom Wars physically in the EU.
>>
>>254419607
So your point is irrelevant. You said the Vita didn't have anything that can fill 10 min. I can list numerous indie titles and games like Wipeout, Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, Katamari etc that can fill 10min. You are changing the goalpost now saying Vita doesn't have quality time wasters your so full of bs. 3ds fanboy please don't bother making shit up when you clearly have not touched a Vita in your life.
>>
>>254405124
>Top right
What the fuck is that thing? Butt-fartmon?
>>
>>254421346
>they will release a successor to the Vita
kek. No. Sony is not that fucking retarded. Their japanese side is though so it might be Jap exclusive if it does happen.
>>
>>254421168
That's why Sony is pushing it so hard. They will make a lot of money with online this way.
>>
>>254421694

You called them shitty distraction games so I have no idea why you're trying to attack me over calling them low quality.

>>254418507
>"There a tonnes of 10 min shitty distraction games on the Vita"
>>
>>254415637
>If I'm sitting on a bus for 10 minutes tops with a million distractions, do I really want to start playing Uncharted? I mean seriously what the actual fuck.
Would you really want to play any game on a bus with a million distractions? There's a place and a time to play any video game. I wouldn't play my 3DS or my Vita on a bus, subway, or any busy form of busy transportation.

The fact that both have a standby mode make it possible to play any game, even if its an expansive experience.
>Sony has absolutely no idea what handhelds are for
I commend Sony for giving me the option to play something as big as YS, or Muramasa on a handheld. The fact that you gloss over all the 'pick up and play' titles the Vita does have makes me suspect that you don't own one.

Monster Hunter 3 on the 3DS isn't an expansive experience akin to consoles?
>>
>>254418376
>And Ive seen a lot of people playing Vitas
No you haven't. Hardly anybody has one and those that do don't play them in public. Probably because of all the embarrassing animu decals they plastered all over it.
>>
The Wii U 2 gamepad will be both a controller and a handheld. Screencap this.
>>
>>254423603
I haven't seen anyone play 3DS. And if they do they don't play them in public. I've seen plenty of children playing them in public though.
>>
>>254423849
Obvious as fuck that this is going to be the next step of nintendo.
Also it will be compatible with the entire of Nintendo systems library. Screencap this as well.
>>
>>254413163
Fucking this. FFX+FFX2 are so far away from ps vita titles in every fucking front like sound, graphics, design, content, side quests, value that its almost a joke. I have yet to see a ps vita title with as much value as those games. Ps vita devs are not even trying.
>>
>>254423917
I've seen some people playing with their 3DS in the metro. One of those people was playing with his son. Also, there are a big group playing (probably) Pokémon near a mall.
>>
>>254424610
I wish I could live wherever you are
>>
>>254424797
I'm sure you can go to Santiago by plane.
>>
>>254423603

Sure anon sure

leave the house some time
Take a walk in areas populated with college students. you'll find a lot of decent vidya lovers too

No one gives a fuck
No one is that bitch made to care about what others think of them. We're all grown up now anon.

Its mainly Asian idorts I see with the ocassional black weebs playing x/y
>>
so yesterday my little brother pop into my room and ask me try this new "game" that he download on the ipad
it's basically a reflex based game with wrong and right button for simple addition. essentially they throw out an equation like "4+4 =8" and it gives you like less than 3 seconds to choose the correct answer
and you try to get right answers as much as you can, time out and you done, one wrong and you're done
that is fucking mobile gaming right there
>>
>>254427161
The math minigame in 4 Heroes of Light was more complicated and fun than this.

Shame, Id love for Sony and Nintendo to keep doing handhelds for life.
>>
>>254422430
>Would you really want to play any game on a bus with a million distractions?
I don't have ADD and I find playing a game on my commute back home works out great.
>>
>>254424887
Too chilly for me.
>>
>>254427161
It's not a very good game but as an educational device that includes gamification it's great. More educational things should use gamification, enjoy as you learn. Then you will have skills to use when it's less enjoyable.

It's hard to motivate somebody to do a task if their plunge into it is horrible and boring. It's logical to get people pumped any way they can about cleaning shit, doing garbage pickup, using basic arithmetic, whatever
>>
>>254427161
That actually sounds pretty fun. Link?
Thread posts: 274
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.