[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Titanfall flop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: Titanfall_Boxart.jpg (98KB, 550x712px) Image search: [Google]
Titanfall_Boxart.jpg
98KB, 550x712px
Why did Titanfall flop?
>>
Dunno. It's pretty fun, even though it's not very populated.
>>
>>251954826
It wasn't COD.
Gameplay wise It's call of duty with mechs that are more trouble than they're worth and unsatisfying to use. Without the namesake you've got another shit "modern" shooter with tacked on parkour and robots.
>>
>>251955518
Nah, the movement mechanics are way better than CoD. Feels a lot more fluid.
>>
no content, 6 hours and you are done.
>>
>xbone install base was still pretty small
>PC users ignored it due to origin and lol CoD shit
>Sonyponies bashed it into oblivion because it wasn't on their precious console
>the game itself was pretty bland and short. it only takes like a week to hit max rank and beat the game
>>
No single-player. Most people who buy CoD buy it for the single-player.

Not enough content for a full-priced title.
>>
>>251955820

pretty much this, and I owned it on xbone.

Also it was only 6 vs 6, and yet they filled the map full of fucking bots that just stood there as cannon fodder
>>
>>251954826

>best-selling next-gen-only game
>best-selling new IP
>1.1 million in 4 weeks on xbone alone
>three months at number 1
>outsold sony exclusive infamous two to one on xbone alone

"flop"

stay retarded, sonyggers
>>
First and foremost, console babbies already have COD and nothing will ever topple it, same as how WoW will never be toppled in the MMO genre. The massive amount of people have such a huge amount of time invested into it that they will not switch.

Second, and nearly as important, the one platform they could have succeeded on, PC, was killed before it was even released since it was origin only. No self-respecting PC master race gamer will ever support or install or use origin. Anyone who does is either ignorant of the MASSIVE amount of spyware hidden inside origin, or are shills for EA. There is no middle ground.

Had they released Titanfall without it requiring some dumb fucking digital distribution platform (like Origin or Steam), they would have done MUCH better.
>>
It would have done better if it was xbone only.

Because it went 360/xbone/pc, it wasn't labeled as an xbone system seller. And because it was available on multiple platforms, it didn't attract kids who can only afford only 1 console and say its the best shit ever because its all they've got.
>>
>>251956042
Wasn't it originally intended to be 8v8 but the Xbox didn't have enough power? Hence the oversized maps
>>
>>251954826
Very few guns
Amped cards
CoD mechanics all over the place
Bots to compensate for lack of players
etc
>>
>>251956042
Oh yeah and console limitations.

Again.
>>
>>251956245
>also on PC and Xbox 360
>Sold better on Xbox 360

lel
>>
>>251956245
>next-gen-only
>on 360
>>
>>251956282
>Xbone can't even handle a 2007 looking source game

Jesus christ
>>
>>251954826
>Only console it was originally on was Xbone
>PC version required Origin
>game was basically CoD without name, so most casuals wouldn't bother since it doesn't say CoD in the title and PCfats hate CoD-like games
>6 versus fucking 6 and everyone, even the casuals knew about that
>>
File: eds dong repair.jpg (145KB, 400x313px) Image search: [Google]
eds dong repair.jpg
145KB, 400x313px
This is one of those games that's fun to go to a friend's house and play, but not actually fun to own.

I played the 48 hour demo on Origin. It's a grindfest through the same few modes over and over again. And because it's online multiplayer-only, you can't go back in a few years and play it again if you feel like it. Like, I found DKCR in my closet from like 4 years ago, played it again and had a blast, Can't do that with Titanfall.
>>
Online only gets boring real quick, and new IPs don't last long without support
>>
$60

This game could have been the "DOTA/LOL" of the FPS genre if they just made it free with more goddamn features. It's staggering they have the audacity to charge you $60 for such barebones content when there are F2P games out there that have more features.

I blame the video game "press" for sucking these guys off every change they got.
>>
The game had massive balance issues at launch which took a while to fix. Fucking satchels, man.
>>
File: 1332564328188.jpg (79KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1332564328188.jpg
79KB, 320x240px
>>251956282

>8v8
>Xbox didn't have enough power

How does BF4 64 man conquest fit into that theory? If you had actually bothered to play the game you would see that the devs always meant for it to be 6v6. There can be up to 12 auto titans 12 players and 24 npcs at once. Power is clearly not the issue.

Something else I can clear up for you guys is that the npcs were never meant to be enemies that impede you. They're more like creeps, you kill them which grants you faster access to a titan, and some gametypes see who can kill them the fastest.

All in all it was a really fun game.
>>
they expected this to be the next COD, it wasn't. that insane expectation is probably why people consider it a flop

i think what hurt it the most is the lack of content, was completely done with it after a week.
>>
>>251956878
No, it's true. That's why the maps are so big. They couldn't do 16 titans at once without it fucking up perfromance so they cut it to 6vs6 late in the dev process.

They probably could have got it working if it wasn't rushed, but they decided to cut it.
>>
File: 1365801739514.gif (1MB, 297x314px) Image search: [Google]
1365801739514.gif
1MB, 297x314px
>>251954826
A lot of people still play it though
>>
Honestly I think it just came out on the wrong system. If it was on PS4 it would have been huge but as fun as it looks its not a system seller (Especially given the Xbone and its past bullshit) plus they have a dozen options including piracy on PC so yeah they just hit the wrong systems.

I'm still looking forward to 2 and that live action web series tho. The universe seems pretty interesting and I think they could make some real improvements with it based on what they learned with the first one.
>>
File: titanfall.png (1MB, 1275x709px) Image search: [Google]
titanfall.png
1MB, 1275x709px
>>251954826
>6v6
>no single player
>$60 and launch-day $25 season pass DLC
>only 15 maps and only 5 game modes
>no private groups
>maps are uninspired and boring, both in design and gameplay, with same muted CoD color palette and chest-high walls
>grind to win "burn cards" system
>792p on Xbone resolution
>AI bots so even the worst player can get kills, most times they just stand there and let you shoot them
>titans control just like tankier soldiers with larger guns, not like robots
>gun that aims itself
>EA
>Origin PC exclusive
>Made by former Call of Duty developers
>reused Call of Duty gunplay, sound effects, and animations, mixed with some Halo mechanics (shields, hijacking, jetpacks)
>jet packs, which are really just double jumps, don't add depth
>limited progression and unlocks, boring assault rifle/shotgun/sniper guns
>regenerating health
>regenerating titan shields
>10 year old Source engine, because making CoD-variants on Quake-engine-variants is all the developers know how to do
>48GB PC Install, 35GB of which is uncompressed audio
>Mandatory Xbone install (on 500GB, non-upgradeable, non-replaceable xbone HDD and no external storage support)
>3GB Video RAM required for ultra textures
>2009 visuals even on highest PC settings
>Constant FPS issues, screen-tearing, even on a powerful PC
>designed from the ground up to be an eSport (note the simultaneous release of xbone support for >Twitch)
>titans are weak and almost spammable, don't require teamwork to kill
>plays like CoD, except instead of killstreaks there's titans
>EVERY player gets titan eventually, no matter how badly they do or how much they die
>cockpit HUD is just a 2d sprite
>horrible UI and screenclutter
>xbox 360 version release delayed by a month
>360 footage mysteriously non-existent despite impending release
>connection issues and lag
>ping and server issues and crashes (despite all the talk about >THE POWER OF THE CLOUD)
>"farming bots" is a valid strategy
>>
>>251954826
It sold well for a limited install base. 2 million on xbone alone I believe.
I got a free PC version and it's dead there. Xbone community still exists though. I'd imagine it will only increase come Christmastime
>>
>>251957802
>Online only and it only has 15 maps and FIVE FUCKING GAME MODES

Are you bullshitting me right now?
>>
>>251957802
>>reused Call of Duty gunplay, sound effects, and animations, mixed with some Halo mechanics (shields, hijacking, jetpacks)

I'm not gonna let you have this one.
Dark Souls reuses a FUCKTON of assets from Demon's Souls yet every time I mention it I either get ignored or someone says "ITS NOT A BIG DEAL TONS OF GAMES DO IT"
>>
>>251955518
Mechs are insane killing machines man. Which ever team gets 2 up first wins period.
And honestly, this feels like a tribe spinoff. You gotta go fast or you die.
>>251954826
$60 for the content is honestly not too much considered the fact that dudebros never touch COD or Battlefield single player and pay it anyway.
>$60 is still fucking retarded for it though. I paid like $26 release day from a Russian site.
>>
>>251958146
its the same series though this is completely new ip.
>>
>>251958010
nope

>>251958146
I never defended dark souls about this issue
>>
>>251954826
Except it didn't, it sold well for a new IP. It just gets shitposted to oblivion cause NOT ON MUH NIPPON CONSOLE.
if it's a flop then second son is a superflop
>>
>>251958146
Please keep your autistic grudge for Dark Souls out of this thread. Thanks :^)
>>
>>251957802
>>EVERY player gets titan eventually, no matter how badly they do or how much they die
While very casual I don't see how this is a negative. It works much better than regular kill streaks.
>>
100 BILLION AWARDS AT E3
>>
>>251957802
I hate to shilldefend the game, but you're throwing a lot of bullshit around.
>gun that aims itself
Its fucking useless. A smart pistol user is a free kill. Shotgun kills faster in close, carbine cleans up everything else.
>All those 360/xbone points, shitty PCs can't max it.
Thats what console faggots get.
>titans are weak and almost spammable, don't require teamwork to kill, EVERY player gets titan eventually, no matter how badly they do or how much they die
A good titan user cleans up. A dumbass will die almost instantly.
>"farming bots" is a valid strategy
Only in attrition mode, and someone smart looks out for these dumbasses for free kills.
>connection issues and lag, ping and server issues and crashes (despite all the talk about >THE POWER OF THE CLOUD)
I'm on prestige/regeneration 4 and haven't had a single issue on PC.
>>
>>251956245
/Thread
>>
>>251956805
they had huge EA advertisement budget
they were all paid advertisements when featured on gaming press sites
need proof go look at how giantbomb crew handled it, fucking paid sit down segment with devs
>>
There was so much hype built up behind this by EA that simply seeing it fade into nonexistence so quickly almost hurts.
>>
>>251954826
Paid online and more importantly, shitty gameplay.
>>
>>251956245
Infamous Second Son broke the 1 million in nine days.
>>
>>251958876
The smart pistol is fucking annoying because you get killed when you aren't usually able to be
>>
Its a fun game, but its fucking nothing outside multiplayer. And even that gets old quickly.
You could probably create a pretty good singleplayer campaign with this game, but instead alll you get is the multiplayer.
>>
File: 31978529336961074159416[1].jpg (28KB, 400x363px) Image search: [Google]
31978529336961074159416[1].jpg
28KB, 400x363px
>>251959584
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
>>
File: 1372496985792.jpg (52KB, 286x180px) Image search: [Google]
1372496985792.jpg
52KB, 286x180px
>>251959210

Kind of like the Dreamcast. Dat Peter Moore hype phase.
>>
>>251959686
most people never touch or complete the campaign

its been proven with cod countless times and battlefield never had a campaign until bad company

the real reason anyone here wants a campaign is so they can pirate it
>>
>>251954826
>Why did Titanfall flop
Because title ratings are determined from how much money is put into advertisements so it was surrounded with all the AAA hype before it was released, at which point people realised that neither it or the console that it's exclusive to is any good.
>>
>EA charging full price for contentless games or obvious rehashes

How many people are even preordering BF Hardline?
>>
>>251959686
Yea, the included "campaign" actually has some badass points.
>>
File: your incoming reactions.png (19KB, 180x224px) Image search: [Google]
your incoming reactions.png
19KB, 180x224px
>>251956245
>Titanfall
>Nextgen only
>Cites numbers
>Ignores that it's completely dead now
>Ignores that it was expected to and marketed to put up COD numbers
>Ignores that it completely facefloored after that initial sales boom

MARKETER GOES FULL RETARD. Get a new copypaste.
>>
It was CoD with mechs added on and, somehow, less content. Once the novelty wore off people got bored.
>>
>>251959754
No, it makes sense. You get shot from angles where you aren't usually able to do shot at, because of the bending bullets. It's fucking irritating and borderline gamebreaking
>>
I think just adding something as simple as a cosmetic customisation option would improve this game a lot
It severly lacks in options
>>
>>251960749
Some titans decals are coming next update. I really don't want to see pink titans or anything like that.
>>
>>251960420
I don't think you know what "flop" means, it correlates with sales which this did well with for a new IP

>hurr it didnt sell cod numbers and it was expected to!
I didn't know you sit in with the EA board.

>it's dead!
Not on xbone, idk about other platforms
>>
>its cod with mechs!
>how to spot someone who's never played it aka sonyggers
Once TF2 is multiplat im sure it will great all of a sudden
>>
>>251954826

Poor progression design.

Really basic formula shit any amateur could develop but somehow they fucked it up.

There are too few weapons, too few perks, no excitement from leveling up, no camos or customization. These games rely on the addictive progression and customization to keep people playing and this had none of that.

Also 6v6 maximum players was a bad move.
>>
>>251961023
If you google Xboner and titanfall it failed on Xbone, and failed to push the numbers Microwigger wanted. Titanfall is dead on any real platform.

GO. MARKET. SOMEWHERE. ELSE.
>>
>>251961319
Nice source autist.
>>
>>251954826
People are getting bored of video games.
>>
Do we have official sales numbers on Titanfall? Depending how much they dumped into marketing the game might be successful. That is unless EA wanted to hit CoD numbers in which then its a colossal failure.
>>
>>251961581
This. Especially competitive fps

It was ruined by the inevitable influx of cod babies. There were no expansions or new content whatsoever; it ran its course
>>
File: 1404346817533.jpg (59KB, 476x321px) Image search: [Google]
1404346817533.jpg
59KB, 476x321px
>>251961319
>Microwigger
>Xboner
I don't even
do 13 year olds really browse this place?
>>
Multiplayer fps that is unplayable without using whorigin or xbox live.

They were literally begging to flop.
>>
>>251962105
>sonyggers
>nintentoddlers
>mentally going past the age of 12

Keep your sanity, ignore the shitposters, it's not worth it.
>>
File: 1404260205142.jpg (23KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1404260205142.jpg
23KB, 250x241px
>>251956439
>implying anyone plays games not hat fortess or Dota on PC
>implying it sold on PC

>a game sold more to a 80m+ userbase than a 3-4 million userbase
well no shit

Still never ever on Sony systems though
>>
>>251955820
It was also 50GB
>>
>>251962468
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-titanfall-2-coming-to-xbox-one-and-ps4-report/1100-6420196/
>>
>>251962591
I see a 2 there, sonygger
Enjoy this whole summer with nothing to play but the same movie game you did last year
>>
>>251962591
Microsoft isn't going to cough up big bucks for exclusivity on a game no-one bought
>>
>>251954826

Because it wasn't worth $60

If it was released at $30 or even $40, it would have done a whole lot better.
>>
>>251954826
>Search words: Vita
>1
>not even the Vita
Fuck all you faggots.

Also, this was Sonys sloppy seconds, they didn't want this on their vita.
>>
>>251957802
>>251958010
Don't forget that they tried to remove two game types because "no one played them."
>>
>>251960730
The only way you're letting a Smart Pistol user kill you is if you're either shit at the game or you weren't even looking at them in the first place, in which case they would have killed you regardless of what weapon they were using.
>>
File: 1393914505105.jpg (66KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1393914505105.jpg
66KB, 400x600px
>>251958237
>tribe spinoff
stop right there faggot
>>
It's fun as hell on PC. At least someone made this game at least once.
>>
Great concept, horrible execution. Everything that damned the game has already been said, but it did have some fun aspects that I'd like to see in more FPS.

>gotta go fast to get kills
I fucking loved T:A. CoD: Ascend feat. Gipsy Danger was a neat idea on paper. They just fucked up at actually making it.

>"MOBA" gameplay (bot farming)
If the bots did more than just sit around waiting to pad someone's score, I'd be down with it. I shit you not, 90% of the time all the bots do is spawn and then sit out in the open in clusters of 3-6. I would've liked to see an option where you could have bots follow you and your titan, or a way to give squads commands like hold choke points or (try) to capture points.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.