[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did he fail /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 27

File: dreamcast2.jpg (17KB, 282x289px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast2.jpg
17KB, 282x289px
Why did he fail /v/?
>>
No dvd player
>>
>>249410180
PSJew
>>
>>249410180
>he
Either gay or a girl.
>>
File: Rouge_by_Kayona_Kim.png (103KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rouge_by_Kayona_Kim.png
103KB, 600x600px
gamers were more interested in Sony's hype machine than they were quality games.
>>
>>249410180
>he
faggot detected.
>>
>>249411580
Anyone who says the PS2 didn't have quality games, is a retard. It was simply a better console than the DC.
>>
>>249412161

Not the first year, it wasn't.
Dreamcast was far and away the better console up until the end. Of course the PS2 got quality games, it lasted 5 times as long.
>>
>>249412161
There are more games I like for the DC than there are for the PS2, but that's just my opinion man.
>>
>>249410180
It didn't fail, it just didn't made enough money to make up for the blunder that was the Sega CD, 32X and the US Saturn releases
>>
a man with a penis both drew and conceptualized it
>>
>>249410180
They goofed up too many times in the past.

The other problem is that Sony is pushing Sega off the market the same way, Mircosoft/Sony is doing the same to Nintendo.
>>
>>249410180
Sega bad rep due to Bernie Stolar.
PS2 Hype
>>
>>249410180

>Fail
>Implying

It's had the longest console life of any game system ever.

If you love the Dreamcast, it's basically code for loving gaming. And if you don't at least see the merits, you're probably underage b& or a casual.
>>
>>249410180
It was the fastest selling console of all time when it came out. Hardly a failure, just wasn't a big enough success.
>>
File: 009.jpg (71KB, 320x332px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
71KB, 320x332px
The PS2 was just too good. No regrets, the Dreamcast served it's purpose. Every king needs a servant to shine his shoes.
>>
Because they thought it was a good idea to release a console the same day it was announced without notifying retailers and developers. They pretty much gave Sony the lead with the PS1 which help them gain momentum into PS2 era. .
>>
>>249410180
>He
>>
Infighting with the divisions.
Financial troubles
Shoddy management
Fucking over their userbase with two platforms(one which died in less than a year)
Gradual recurrence of 1-3
Sony boasting the PS2's non-gaming features

Short answer, SEGA. By the time they got it right the damage was beyond repair.
>>
>>249410180
No EA games
>>
>>249412161
>Confirmed for not having actually owned a PS2 at launch

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Swing Away Golf
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad

It was a completely lackluster launch compared to the Dreamcast's. Especially when some PS2 games actually came shipped as blue label CDs, instead of DVDs and when Dreamcast ports of certain games were actually better (like Unreal Tournament having online play for Dreamcast, as well as mouse and keyboard support, when PS2 didn't).

It took the PS2 a little over a year before it started to get some really good games. Dreamcast pumped out several within the limited lifespan it had from the beginning.
>>
No 1080p
>>
File: 1340194977076.jpg (57KB, 475x550px) Image search: [Google]
1340194977076.jpg
57KB, 475x550px
>All those great games
>SEGA will never be good again
>>
>>249415092
Why has PS4 sold more than Wii U? It has no games. The consumers have proven again and again that they don't care about games.
>>
>>249410180

it didn't. sega was boned due to their previous idea of launching 4 consoles every 3 months.
>>
File: 1397941127716.jpg (141KB, 672x474px) Image search: [Google]
1397941127716.jpg
141KB, 672x474px
HE didn't fail

We failed him.
>>
>>249416349
yeesh. icaras to the sun anyone? crazy taxi was cool i suppose.
>>
>>249415789
Blame Sammy. SEGA was on a roll when they went third party.

Sonic Advance
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Gun Valkyrie
Shinobi
Virtua Fighter 4
Crazy Taxi 3
Jet Set Radio Future
Space Channel 5 Part 2
Super Monkey Ball
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
F-Zero GX
Rez
Beach Spikers

Then came Sammy in 2004, who then bought up SEGA and shut down all of their studios formed during the Dreamcast days to bring them back into the company, causing many devs to quit.
>>
Because Sega ruined their reputation through the CD, 32x, CD-32x games, and Saturn.
>>
SEGA had ruined customer faith in their products. Even if the DC was a good console, people had more trust in the successor to the PS1 than to the Sega Saturn.
>>
>>249416191
It's funny. Every time a new version of a PS comes out, droves of people jump on it, regardless of the lack of any games.

People bought a PS2 because it was a cheap DVD player that played PS games on top of being able to play PS2 games. Same deal with PS3; doubled as a cheap Blu-ray player that could play PS, PS2 and PS3 games.

PS4? ...Cheap Twitch device, I guess?
>>
>>249416191
Most console gamers don't consider nintendo an option at this point, and the PS4 has sold well purely on the Xbone's bad press.
>>
Because it was an arcade port machine and arcade was already dying at the time it was released.
>>
>>249415092
Super Magnetic Neo, SUPER MAGNETIC NEO, why does everyone forget this fucking game
>>
>>249417534
I haven't, bro. It still pains me how that game is still exclusive to the system, with no HD remake to ever happen.
>>
>>249410180
I actually read a good book about this. For the longest time, everyone assumed it was the ps2 who killed it, but sega was actually preparing for almost a year for its launch and was moving a ton of dreamcasts.

What finally pushed them out was the xbox. They knew from the old NES days that the market couldnt handle a ton of systems. With sony and nintendo, they still had a ok shot. They where still moving a ton of units, a lot of games where coming out and most of their first party games where huge hits.

But they knew they where going to be in a close last. They knew that PS2 would outsell both them and Nintendo and that Nintendo would sell because of its diehard fans, but they where doing ok with that to ride it out and grow a huge install base. But with microsoft, they wouldnt have a chance. They could ride out 2 other systems, but a 3rd cutting into its numbers would be to much.

the xbox killed it, and not even because it tried, but merely because it existed.
>>
>>249416191

because wii u doesnt have much when it comes to third party dev support and also had no gaems during release window

just because it now has games retards like you forget both of those things
>>
>>249418148
Worth noting also how different things were between regions.

For the west, it was (in terms of sales) PS2 > Xbox > GameCube > Dreamcast. Whereas in Japan, it was PS2 > GameCube > Dreamcast > Xbox. It was simply more of a fact that not only was SEGA contending against Sony's new platform, but Nintendo had a new platform on the way and MS was jumping in.

The main thing was that SEGA simply nearly ran out of money to continue supporting the platform. Isao Okawa was struggling to decide on either going third party or declare bankruptcy. Especially harder when they proposed to collaborate with MS to make the Xbox backwards compatible with Dreamcast games, but never got a response from them.
>>
>>249419256
it makes sense
would have preffered sega staying in the game ninty going handheld only and MS sticking to software

gaming would probably be much better these days
>>
I thought it failed because it was too easy to pirate the games.
>>
>>249419772
Nah. It was SEGA's time and their change to third party worked out much better for them (and was handled more gracefully) than when Atari did it.

Like I mentioned here >>249416739, the problem was Sammy buying SEGA. A pachinko company buying a video game company and changing things up was doomed for failure.
>>
File: ;_;.gif (1MB, 268x280px) Image search: [Google]
;_;.gif
1MB, 268x280px
Man, Sega's history is pretty tragic. They had the best talent in the industry and fucked it all up with stupid bullshit. And when they started coming to their senses? They get bought up and everything they were working towards gets destroyed. Now all the talent left them and they're nothing more than a husk with no direction and no future.
>>
the dreamcast didn't failed us. We failed the dreamcast
>>
>>249419256
>but never got a response from them.

Nope. The American gaming market was biding its time to take back the dominant influence in gaming since the late 80s.

Everyone in the western gaming market wanted the NES to fail back then. and they thought it would. Then, in the 90s, The west were trying to make the first disc based console, the 3DO. It didn't gain traction, and Sony came in and basically took its basic concept and made PlayStation. The west was trumped, again.

There are still people are currently in charge that were sore about that and instantly jump at the idea of a western console like Xbox, when it was first revealed.
>>
Sony beef was with Nintendo for the whole CD fiasco. Sony even made games for Sega after that incident happened.

The funny thing is that the SEGA CD is what got Nintendo to ask Sony to make that attachment.
>>
File: hero.jpg (245KB, 940x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hero.jpg
245KB, 940x1000px
>>249421270
>>
Didn't the Dreamcast fail not because the Dreamcast was bad, but because Sega had bad planning with peripherals on their previous consoles or something?.
>>
>>249410180
they dropped out because they were scared of ps2
literally
look it up
>>
>>249416191
Because the Wii U isn't going to get an Armored Core game down the line anon.
>>
>>249421397
microsoft has no excuse
>nintendo
>>
>>249421397
What did xbox even do for video games? Achievements, always online, DLC, Paid online, dude bro audience? Xbox was never good to begin with.
>>
>>249421397
Microsoft was the villain since long before they even released the first fat Xbox.
>>
>>249421397
Replace that with a PS4. They started selling the Xbone without the NSAcam and actually showed video games at E3 this year. They're willing to listen which can go a long way. Meanwhile Sony is starting to get into the online paywall shit and are about to start shoving rentals for STREAMING games down peoples throat.
>>
>>249421460
once the ps2 came out it wasnt selling at all
>>
>>249421649
they brought PC gaming to people who couldn't afford a PC.
>>
>>249421351
>>249421383
You guys are forgetting the NEC had a CD attachment for the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16, which was really popular in Japan.

Nintendo AND SEGA of Japan decided to go the CD route to compete against them. But considering the TG-16 wasn't big outside of Japan, SEGA of America had to refine their sights on competing against the SNES with the SEGA CD.
>>
>>249419932
It was piss easy to pirate games on the DC but you have to remember that this is 1999 internet we're talking here. DLing ~700MB worth of data today is nothing but back then that shit was a chore. Not to mention, by the it became an issue, Sega had already patched it out.
>>
Too much responsibility. Sega was already fucked when they released the Dreamcast, the damage was so big that the Dreamcast alone couldn't fix it
>>
>>249419932
I had the exact same thought
>>
>>249421785
As well as having some of the better 3rd party SEGA games back in the original Xbox days.
>>
>>249421742

>company stops fucking up after a series of serious fuckups
>"wow they must really be willing to go all the way for their fans"

this mindset fucking disgusts me
>>
File: 1392639410226.gif (2MB, 239x180px) Image search: [Google]
1392639410226.gif
2MB, 239x180px
Sega had a hard life

All of that wasted talent
All of that horrible management between SOJ/SOA
All of that wasted potienal in marketshare that Sega dominated in Europe until Sony took it over.
>>249416739
>Then came Sammy in 2004, who then bought up SEGA and shut down all of their studios formed during the Dreamcast days to bring them back into the company, causing many devs to quit.

Oh god...that is exactly what I fear is going to happen to Nintendo goes third party. It's guarantee that some bigger company will absorb their ips, and change management around.

At least Sega during the 2004 was nice.
>>
>>249416191
People got too burned by the Wii's "backstep" in power, when it was because the 360/PS3 (and the XBO/PS4) were/are going too fast, thus the inconsistent framerates, resolutions, and failure rates
>>
File: this_isnt_what_i_expecte.png (182KB, 328x322px) Image search: [Google]
this_isnt_what_i_expecte.png
182KB, 328x322px
>>249417029
>people bought stand-alone hd-dvd players
>>
>>249421974
>Not to mention, by the it became an issue, Sega had already patched it out.
Not necessarily. Dreamcast models that removed the ability to play CD-Rs came about after October 2000, just three months until the announcement of SEGA dropping support. All they could do before then was start legal battles with people setting up mod chips and people uploading games.
>>
>>249410180
Because Playstation was better, anyone trying to come with different theories is wrong or in denial

Also fuck the janitor warning me for everything
>>
File: 1396509383220.gif (2MB, 256x192px)
1396509383220.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>>249416739

I feel sick.

That was also when gaming in general started to lose its charm and become westernized. Looking back at all these sepia tone FPS games make me want to hurl.
>>
>>249422212
Nintendo will be fine. They don't have in-house fights with their own staff like SEGA did and they're not in any danger of running low on cash. If anyone's going the route of SEGA, it's Capcom.

Capcom is severely low on cash, their Japanese side calls all of the shots and won't let the American side do anything and their shareholders are pissed to the point of being fine with someone buying out the company.

Worst Nintendo's shareholders want are for them to go mobile.
>>
>>249418148
But Sega and Microsoft HEAVILY worked together during the Dreamcast. That's why the Dreamcast had DirectX and the Xbox got a lot of sequels to Dreamcast exclusive games.
>>
Anyone who blames Sony is a fucking idiot. PS2 certainly didn't help the Dreamcast, but what killed it is terrible management, the Saturn fiasco, and lack of third party support in the west.
>>
>>249423145
Worse when you realize which studios Sammy shut down: Wow Entertainment, Amusement Vision, Hitmaker, Smilebit, Sega Rosso, and United Game Artists

Who were they? The devs responsible for such hits as:

-House of the Dead 1 - 4
-Zombie Revenge
-SEGA GT
-Sakura Taisen 3 and 4
-Skies of Arcadia
-Super Monkey Ball
-F-Zero GX
-Crazy Taxi 1 - 3
-Confidential Mission
-Astro Boy: Omega Factor
-Panzer Dragoon/Zwei/Saga/Orta
-Jet Set Radio and JSR Future
-GunValkyrie
-Space Channel 5
-Rez
-Project Rub
>>
Do not sexualize the dreamcast
>>
Dreamcast is such a cool name. All the other names are lame as fuck.
>>
Because it is always fate to have your dreams cast to the wind
>>
Other problems were the fact that Dreamcast was an interim console; by coming out early, the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox outclassed it graphically.

Also, Dreamcast games in general felt like arcade games during the time when arcades were dying and the people who were buying consoles wanted casual, story focused games. Another thing the PS2 provided!
>>
File: a wizard.jpg (94KB, 277x512px) Image search: [Google]
a wizard.jpg
94KB, 277x512px
>>249416191
Because consumers are morons.
>>
Honestly I didn't even know this existed as a child until after it's death.
>>
>>249410180

No DVD.
Limited capacity medium with shit transfer rate, forcing a reliance on quirky games, and/or arcade ports.
No final fantasy.
Internet wasn't even a selling point at the time.
America's biggest chains didn't want to stock it after SEGA fucked up the 32X and saturn.
>>
File: wii-u-controller1.jpg (19KB, 640x344px) Image search: [Google]
wii-u-controller1.jpg
19KB, 640x344px
>>249416191
Honestly, I think it is the controller. It confuses the shit out of baseline consumers as in bros, soccer moms, office working water cooler types. They see it and think it is probably a portable system and not the replacement for the WII. Most "normies" I know still think Nintendo hasn't released a replacement for the WII yet. People look at the box and just think it is either an enhanced version of the WII or a portable system.

I think if it wasn't for the confusion over the product, it would probably be the best selling system and not because of the fact that it has more games, but merely because it is the cheapest out of the three, which is what really matters most.
>>
File: 1402722881698.png (172KB, 300x384px) Image search: [Google]
1402722881698.png
172KB, 300x384px
>>249423947
>lack of third party support in the west.
Not at all my friend! In fact, it had lots of Western support from Western devs (initially, anyways). Mainly from PC devs because porting between the PC and DC was super easy to do. Quake III, UT '99, MDK2, Tomb Raider are a few good examples.

>>249424061
Now that I think about it, does AM2 even exist anymore? I haven't heard shit from them since After Burner: Climax. Also, Smilebit isn't dead. They got repurposed to pump out those Mario and Sonic games for all of eternity. Of course, they don't go by 'Smilebit' anymore but rather some generic department name.. So really, all Sega has is Sanic Team, Relic and Creative Assembly and their internal studios?
>>
>>249416191

Because by virtue of selling the most units, it will eventually have more games than machines that could technically be considered superior to it.

It's also the most fairly priced machine, with the best 'specs,' and specs are really big right now.
>>
>>249425276
>initially, anyways

Yeah. That's what I mean. Do you consider a couple years of third party ports/multiplats real support?
>>
>>249424351
>and the people who were buying consoles wanted casual, story focused games. Another thing the PS2 provided!
PS2 didn't provide any of that at launch. Most people who bought one at launch were either overexcited to see what the PS2 could do and people who wanted a cheap DVD player.

Remember that the PS2 was mostly sold on lies that it could produce "Toy Story visuals." See >>249415092 for what PS2 had to offer at launch. There wasn't much even after the first year.

Meanwhile, Dreamcast had all of these by the end of 2000:

-ChuChu Rocket
-Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
-Fur Fighters
-Grandia II
-Jet Set Radio
-Resident Evil Code: VERONICA
-Seaman
-Shenmue
-Skies of Arcadia
-Sonic Adventure
-Space Channel 5
-Samba de Amigo
-Super Magnetic Neo

Just to name a few. And that's not including any multiplats. Dreamcast had a nice sized amount of games of different varieties.

>>249425276
And Atlus. Technically, Smilebit is dead. They shut down the group, bringing them back into the company as an internal dev. Now all they do are the Mario & Sonic games, as you said, mostly because that's what's demanded of them.

AM2? Sadly, the most recent they did was Hatsune Miku and Future Stars Project mirai. Especially bad when Yu Suzuki has been given the Gunpei Yokoi post Virtual Boy treatment by SEGA.
>>
>>249410180
The Dreamcast didn't fail. We failed the Dreamcast.
>>
>>249415092
I saw a copy of DOA2: Hardcore at my local Greywhale, I didn't know what it was until now. game was 45.00 dollars, I instead bought True Crime on OGX, SvR 2006 and Onimush 3 for 9.30 together. I should pick it up once I get paid.
>>
I don't think it was marketed well. The only commercials I ever saw for it was Ready 2 Rumble and Sanic Adventures. I also knew MGS2, GTA3 and FFX was around the corner and I was much more familiar with those titles.
>>
>>249425270
Fuck they should have just called it the Wii 2 or the Nintendo HD or some shit.
>>
>>249424351
I thought the DC was better in some areas than the PS2 hardware wise.
>>
>>249416913
Why the fuck did saturn even fail, it was a great console too, and had a ton of games.
>>
File: tumblr_lu0r0uTyoX1qchfwmo1_400.png (75KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lu0r0uTyoX1qchfwmo1_400.png
75KB, 400x388px
>>249426348
that shit is deep anon.
>>
>>249427790
It was, actually. When it came to ports and multiplatforms, Dreamcast absolutely dominated PS2, whereas PS2 suffered (especially with games on PS2, GCN and Xbox).

-Crazy Taxi
-Grandia II
-Killer 7
-Psychonauts
-Resident Evil 4
-Sonic Heroes
-Soul Calibur II
-Marvel vs Capcom 2

Just to name a few Dreamcast ports and multiplats on the PS2 that were pretty crummy compared to the originals.
>>
>>249427623
Honestly I think bad marketing and branding on Nintendo and Microsoft's part has basically given Sony a slam dunk win for this gen of consoles. Even without the bad release press, naming your console "one" after having two previous consoles is just asking for trouble with some of the knuckledragging consumers or people who have to buy games but don't really understand them like parents during the holiday season.
>>
>>249428534
Saturn was rushed like DC was. not only that but most of the games developed for that platform didn't work on the console.
>>
>>249410180
Just had an argument about this on chat.

They kept releasing too many consoles too fast and then CNN leaked the damn thing before it came out, letting Sony undercut them.
>>
>>249425270

I dont think there is confusion as you put it

>console aimed at young children
>second screen controller that isnt very child proof

parents arent that stupid
>>
>>249410180
god this system was fucking so perfect it just had love built into it, that feel you get just when you turn it on and see the logo, that fucking sound man. Why must good things always fail? Sega has a shit ton of money if they just tired they could come back and surprise everyone at the next e3 with a new system. call it the wishcast.
>>
>>249428805
Killer 7 was on PS2?
I thought that game was apart of Nintendo's "Capcom 5"?
>>
>>249428903
saturn was actually loved in japan.
>>
>people still posting their personal opinions on why the DC failed
>>
>>249429242
If it wasn't for the west, DC would have had Saturn backwards compatibility.
>>
Sega could save video gaming if they really wanted, they still have all their dead ips and a truck load of money from their casinos, they could make 15 billion sonic games and a new console, fail and still have millions. I just want them too try one last time... We new more blood in the video game industry its getting really boring. what happened to the good old days when consoles and ideas and games where all over the place? if anyone could do it sega could. I mean if you think about it they dont even have a e3 stream while komani does, just how far has sega fallin? actually what were sega e3s like?
>>
>>249416191
>>249417029
>>249417118
>>249422592
>>249424579
>>249425270

Or maybe people just want to play cod, fifa, assassins creed, battlefield and watch dogs on the least invasive console? I mean, these are kind of the most popular series on the market right now. These games sell tens of millions of units with each iteration. Don't be surprised when they move consoles too just because most anons here prefer pc. It really isn't that hard to understand how the average console gamer thinks.
>>
>>249429193
Yep. Capcom 5 fell through because Capcom got greedy. Mikami, who spearheaded the whole project, wanted to keep the shit on the GC (because he REALLY disliked the PS2; it was a bitch to develop for) but Capcom went full Jew mode and ported everything to the PS2 in desperate hopes of getting more sales. It's also worth noting that Mikami had felt terrible afterwards as he had been going around proclaiming that the Capcom 5 would stay exclusive to GC only for Capcom to pull the rug under everyone's feet. Of course, Mikami ended up leaving afterwards.

>>249428534
Bernie Stolar.
>>
>>249429481
god dam it, if only all the Japanese games got localized maybe the Saturn wouldn't have failed and then maybe the dreamcast and sega would still be alive. do you guys think sega will ever make a comeback? maybe they are just waiting for the perfect moment to get a new console in once nintendo and sony fail? like they are saving all their money and just building it up to completely destroy them?
>>
>>249421742
Fuck off, Redmond.
>>
>>249429891
Who the fuck is Bernie Stolar please and why did that effect the saturn.
>>
>>249429680
The first E3 killed the Saturn.
>>
>>249430301
god fucking dam it, was that segas last e3? why the fuck would the first e3 kill the saturn? what happened to the dreamcast? werent people hyped about it?
>>
>>249428534
This one's a doozy. Mainly because SEGA of Japan started it and SEGA of America finished it. This is basically what happened...

-Sony announced they're pushing the PlayStation as their own, stand-alone console that could do 3D and 2D

-SEGA decides that the 2D developed Saturn has to compete, so they force it do 3D in a manner so complicated, barely anyone can bring out the Saturn's full potential later on

-SEGA releases the 32X as a means of keeping people content with their Genesis (until the Saturn rolls in). It's FAR more expensive ($150) than the console itself ($99) and no one knows if they should develop for it. SEGA of Japan kept details about its specs on the down-low, like they did with the SEGA CD. Surprise surprise, 32X is failing.

-Sony announces PS is coming soon at $299. SEGA of Japan shits bricks and forces SEGA of America to push the system out earlier. Devs are caught off guard, along with consumers and furious retailers who were not given access to it. The system was also launched at $399.

-SoJ starts removing power from SoA. SoA President Tom Kalinske is nothing but a figure head at this point and grows frustrated. Genesis was still doing well, Saturn was not. SoJ's decision? Kill off all SEGA platforms available on the market, save for Saturn. Tom Kalinske leaves SEGA.

-Meanwhile, at SCEA, Bernie Stolar is fired for butting heads with publishers/devs and higher ups in Japan. He had a horrible policy that prevented many games from leaving Japan. Infamously prevented Working Designs from releasing an RPG in the west until he left and SCEA noticed Final Fantasy VII's success.

-SoJ notices Sony's bigshot is no longer with them...and hires him. Stolar implements the very same policies onto the Saturn, pissing off Working Designs, who was going to release more games for the Saturn.

-Finally...the ads. Dear god, SEGA of America had horrible, horrible TV ads compared to SEGA of Japan.
>>
>>249430048
Berine Stolar is to the Sega Saturn, just like SCEA is to the Vita.

Berne Stolar blocked certain Sega games from going to america because cultural differences. Bernie Stolar is the exact dude that Sony fired from their Playstation division for a dickish to japanese localization.
>>
>>249430507
Last E3? No. They showed off the Dreamcast at E3. They did some pretty elaborate stuff, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnTYhaSoIik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XUL3Mui-gc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy0nTWDFkiQ
>>
>>249430880
So the dreamcast e3 was at least good? its really sad that they only got two e3s..
>>249430563
holy shit what were they thinking. the one thing i hate the most is that Bernie guy, it was a fucking moron that got rid of the reason why you should even buy a system, fucking games. why the fuck did they let that guy in control of the system when his ideas were so shit?
>>
>>249430880
Why did e3 look like it had actual games and fun back then?
>>
File: 1401417162825.jpg (21KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1401417162825.jpg
21KB, 350x350px
>>249430563
>Meanwhile, at SCEA, Bernie Stolar is fired for butting heads with publishers/devs and higher ups in Japan. He had a horrible policy that prevented many games from leaving Japan. Infamously prevented Working Designs from releasing an RPG in the west until he left and SCEA noticed Final Fantasy VII's success.

This part always had me thinking is what would've happened if Sony kept Stolar. FF7 (and a slew of PlayStation hits like maybe Armored Core) would've never have taken off and the PlayStation would be a much different system. Probably wouldn't even exist. It's like the plot to C&C: Red Alert.
>>
>>249430507
First E3 was when they announced the Saturn for the American market and released it that same day. It seems like a good idea now because everyone uses the internet. People back then didn't know it was in stores till it hit gaming magazines a month later. They also didn't bother to notify a lot of retailers. Toys R Us knew but their competitor KB toys didn't which resulted in them never stocking the thing because they were so upset. It also resulted in Sony undercutting them.
>>
>>249423738
Just because m$ helped them with the system doesnt mean they wernt making their own, Nor does it mean that when it announced that it would be a crowded market.
>>
>>249431275
They blew everyone the fuck away with their E3 presentations. And despite Bernie's shortcomings during the Saturn and the amount of times I will damn him for it, I cannot fault him for manning up and learning from his mistakes.

He saw the Dreamcast was poorly handled in Japan and felt that if the company was to survive, he had to make sure it did phenomenally here. In Japan, Dreamcast launched with Godzilla Generations, July, Pen Pen TriIcelon and Virtua Fighter 3tb.

Not only were the launch titles horrible, but the system suffered from shortages due to chip manufacturing issues. Top it off with the system costing around $255 (in yen) and it was no wonder no one wanted it.

So he tackled a few things: price, advertising, launch games and securing devs. He fought with SoJ to get the price to $200, he brought on a full-assault of ads to bring awareness of the console and bought Visual Concepts to make their sports games.

The launch in North America resulted in getting us:

AeroWings
AirForce Delta
Blue Stinger
CART Flag to Flag
Expendable
The House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Pen Pen TriIcelon
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

And to ensure there was no drought, we got even more games within the year and next, including Crazy Taxi, Marvel vs Capcom and Power Stone.

And his stubbornness got him fired from SEGA. Especially since SoJ wanted to delay the Dreamcast, slap a DVD drive and have it cost more.

>>249431842
Capcom wasn't too happy when they weren't allowed initially to put their 2D Mega Man games on the PS. They countered with putting MM7 and X3 on the Saturn. Sony relented.

>>249431412
Probably cause it did have a shit ton of games. 1997 - 2001 were some of the best years for games.
>>
>>249429725
I think people want to play those games and in that sense it is a minor selling point in the PS4's favor, but a console being invasive isn't that much of a factor for most consumers though. It is for people concerned with internet age politics and smart consuming, but we're a minority of a minority.

I think price and bad marketing on the other two companies part is the biggest factor in Sony currently winning. If most gamers could play those games on a toilet with a screen that cost two dollars and do so competitively over the internet they would buy that. The idea that tech specs, a consoles game library size or brand loyalty (people believing Sony has loyal customers based on their reputation lel) is what determines a console winning a generation, is mostly a series of fantasies on the part of /v/ and similarly elitist minded gaming communities.
>>
I met Bernie Stolar recently. He has the quintessential dudebro taste of games with favorites being GTA and Sports.

He also thinks Nintendo be the first one drop out of the console race.
>>
>>249430563
>>249431842
God, Yamauchi fucked himself over with square. I wonder what the industry would be if he didnt. Would RPG's still be dead outside of japan? Would sega even care about RPG's? Would sony have taken off nearly as much as they did?
>>
>>249434452
>Would sega even care about RPG's?
Technically, they did. They had Phantasy Star I - IV, Shining Force I, II and CD, Shining in the Darkness, LandStalker, Beyond Oasis and Light Crusader for the Genesis (Master System for Phantasy Star I). They also had Lunar, Ys and ShadowRun from the 3rd parties.

Either way, Square wasn't getting the results they wanted via cartridges for the N64. The only real damage Yamauichi did was cut off all ties and never work with them for as long as he was there.
>>
>>249432616

For as bad the Dreamcast ultimately did, it has had the best launch line up by far of any console or handheld.
>>
>>249435824
Definitely agreed. Not only launch lineup, but post-launch, as well.
>>
>>249436251
While I am not saying it's better that the Dreamcast's launch line up in America, the Wii had an amazing launch line up especially when you compare it to this gen's launch.
>>
>>249435398
No, there was tons more to it. Your forgetting the fact that they where willing to cut the CG's, work with the lower poly and even use midi based music to fit it on 3-5 cartridges.They asked for a discount per cartridge (it costs around 13 per unit) so they could sell the game at normal price and still make a profit (if nintendo didnt cut the costs, they would have to charge about $150).

Despite square being one of like 3 devs to stay with nintendo exclusivly when everyone else jumped ship and went multi with the genesis, Yamauichi told them they wernt special, they get no discount and that RPG's where a dying japanese only fad that wouldnt make money outside of japan. He didnt care if they stayed with nintendo.

He did tons of damage.
>>
>>249435824
Soul Caliber in 1999 made me shit my pants.

There are few things that have ever floored me to the same extent since. Maybe Rogue Squadren 2. Fuck, I don't even like fighting games.

For what it's worth, the textures and details in Sonic Advanture were pretty damn insane at the time too.
>>
>>249436536
Ah, right. I actually forgot about that bit. Yeah, Yamauchi leaving was a blessing.

>>249436525
Compared to this gen? Sure. But that's honestly not saying much, seeing as how Wii's launch had a Zelda game, Wii Sports and Rabbids. Then came the massive drought as Nintendo tried making more Wiis while letting 3rd parties go ape shit crazy...which resulted in the massive glut of shovelware releases, including games SCEA *refused* to allow be released on the PS2 in NA (but SCEE openly welcomed).

>>249436542
Also helped that Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was completely redone to look 100x better than the original arcade version. And Sonic Adventure's visuals aged a little better than Mario 64's...save for the ridiculous mouth "flaps."
>>
>>249437347
Wii only had a zelda game because it fucked over gamecube owners.
>>
>>249437492
Could've been worse for anyone outside of Japan. Japanese GameCube owners could only get the game online.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/japanese-gamecube-zelda-to-be-sold-online-only/1100-6159644/
>>
>>249436536
>work with the lower poly and even use midi based music

This also happens on the Playstation, by the way.
The reason FF games were on many CDs was because of movies. Cut that and not even rendered backgrounds can get spacey if you put some kickass compression algorithm.
>>
>>249410180
It couldn't play dvds.
>>
>>249437347
I think having Elebits, Excite Truck, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Trauma Center: Second Opinion ,WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Call of Duty 3 at launch day constitutes as a good launch. I guess you could also throw in Red Steel for token third party game had promise but turn out to be shit and was heavily improve in the sequel.
>>
What is Sega even up to these days? Don't they know if they wanna be relevant again, they gotta release Virtua Fighter 6
>>
>>249437974
Pretty much this. Also explains why many early PS RPGs were mostly 2D, save for either CG spell effects (or in Wild Arms' case, switching to 3D in battle) or backgrounds being pre-rendered CG.

>>249438021
Damn, how did I forget Excite Truck and Elebits? Yeah, those were good launch titles.
>>
>>249438385
>Don't they know if they wanna be relevant again, they gotta release Virtua Fighter 6
They won't even release Phantasy Star Online 2 or anymore Yakuza games. But then again, that's just their western side being fucked over by SEGA of Japan again, who's basically Sammy's puppet.

At least Japan got Phantasy Star 2 and some new Yakuza titles, along with having Phantasy Star Nova on the way. Meanwhile, SEGA's "slate of exciting games at E3" (their exact description, btw) were Sonic Boom, Alien and Project DIVA f 2nd.
>>
>>249438418
>>249438418
I cheated, Elebits was a japanese launch title. But it came out on NA less than a month after the Wii launched.
The Wii also got Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy in it's first year. They were actually moderately ready for the system.
>>
>>249410180
Clearly it was that dumb controller cable.
>>
File: coop.jpg (16KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
coop.jpg
16KB, 500x384px
>>249438385
They are keeping near everything in japan, losing more of the staff (they already lost major names years ago), causing Isao Okawa to spin in his grave so fast you can use him as a form of energy and replace the Fukushima nuclear plant, focusing on pachinko because that's where the Sammy side of the company makes all the money, putting out half assed localizations of Miku games, and whoring out the blue rodent.

I might be missing a few things.
>>
>>249432720

It's the bit-wars all over again, except instead of there being a choice of 58585725625 colors with the yamacha-kun-g7825-9-i9 sound processor and mode 7, or 8979788876763 colors with industrial sound and 3d effects, it's now

>this machine has incredibly improved graphics.
>this machine costs more and has shittier graphics.

Your average consumer isn't stupid enough to buy the weaker system when it's this obvious.
>>
>>249422067
That's because...
Sega helped make the Xbox
>>
>>249410180
>that memory card

They wanted to compete with temugachi didn't they? I remember Sonic Adventure allowed you to put Chow's in the memory card and raise them. The battery life was shit though and it was probably one of dreamcasts blunders. Cool idea with poor execution.
>>
>>249416739
Also Outrun 2..

Alot of people don't seem to realize how many key people have left Sega
Sega's greatest asset was its in-house talent, its greatest weakness was its stupid management.

Sammy came in and got rid of the creative talent and kept the retarded management.

Today's Sega would never make the likes of Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, ToeJam and Earl, Rez, JSR, etc.
>>
>>249410180
because it got steamrolled by the PS2
>>
>>249438832
Still counts. I remember getting Elebits for Christmas a month after getting my Wii, so it's still within the launch window.

>>249441491
>Today's Sega would never make the likes of Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, ToeJam and Earl, Rez, JSR, etc.
Funny you should mention that. A French developer wanted to make a JSR game for the Wii and pitched the idea at SEGA with some character concept designs. They were flat out declined.

As for ToeJam & Earl, it took SEGA forever to figure out who exactly owned the rights to the series - them or the actual creators.
>>
>>249425270
I have said it before but many people find the name of both the Xbox One and Wii U to be bad since it likely confuses those who can't into research.

I would have simply named the Xbone the Xbox 720 and the Wii U the Nintendo U.
>>
>>249421030
Yu Suzuki was pretty much the driving force of Sega's popularity; OutRun and Space Harrier made Sega into arcade gods, and from there they were able to build their console market.

Yu was also the guy who foresaw the coming of 3D polygons while Sega went and made a 2D console.

I was disgusted by how little the gaming press reacted to his departure from Sega. If it had been Miyamoto or Kojima they would have gone apeshit.
>>
File: tumblr_mikii1msnZ1rys6fno1_1280.jpg (221KB, 1280x1498px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mikii1msnZ1rys6fno1_1280.jpg
221KB, 1280x1498px
>>249422212
This Edge magazine cover was tragically wrong.
>>
>>249438385
the psp phantasy star games sell millions in japan, some 40k copies sell here in the USA.

Valkyria Chronicles could have been a great IP for sega here in the states, but #2 was too dating sim for the west and didn't sell enough.

>I'm played the 3rd game and it's pretty good.

"bought Visual Concepts to make their sports games." If I remember right VC had been hired by EA to create madden 95 or 96 for the new PS1, VC said the code was so old and shit that they had to start over but had just a limited amount of weeks to get an alpha ready they tried to add different body sizes, cause madden didn't show a difference at the time, and other new things to improve it, but it took a couple mins to load a game, like 15sec to load the menu in game....EA let them go...

they went on to blow EA the fuck out with NFL 2k games, but we know how shitty EA handled that.
>>
>>249442564
>I was disgusted by how little the gaming press reacted to his departure from Sega. If it had been Miyamoto or Kojima they would have gone apeshit.
It was most likely because it was something we guessed had happened already. Suzuki was tossed to the side by SEGA like Nintendo did to Gunpei Yokoi after the Virtual Boy flopped (with Suzuki, it was with Shenmue). And in both cases, the company heads were more at fault for that than the creators.
>>
>>249410180
So that others may rise.
>>
>>249410180
Guys I just had a crazy hypothetical thought.

What if Sega got exclusive rights to Halo somehow and Microsoft pretty much was DOA with the Xbox?

I mean yeah Halo would have been downgraded a ton but could it have saved Dreamcast? Because as we all know Halo saved Microsoft's ass big time. Single handed in fact. Shit even to this day it might save them again.
>>
>>249443428
The biggest problem also would be the Dreamcast's lack of a second analog stick. Why did they do this when Sony had the dualshock?
>>
>>249424061

Gone:
Yu Suzuki
Noryoshi Oba
Yuji Naka
Hideki Naganuma
Tetsuya Mizaguchi (UGA)
Shun Arai (Smilebit)
Yukio Futatsugi

Marooned/ Silenced:
Reiko Kodama

Sammy wants rid of the in-house studios so it can exert greater corporate control. An atomized, merged development gives the suits more control.

Further, publishing games also gives Sammy greater control, reducing Sega to middle man.
>>
>>249430563
As Yu Suzuki said regarding the rise of polygons, "and, as you can see, I was proved right".

Sega's arcade divisions, especially AM2, were pushing 3D, and Sony noticed this...meanwhile Sega ignored what their cutting edge devs were doing and looked backwards.
>>
>>249430563
> Our skills were in marketing, sales and distribution, theirs were in product design and development. This was not always understood. This inevitably led to some disagreement and confusion. I suspect that we had similar issues to the ones that Tom Kalinske had to deal with at SOA. - Nick Alexander

Sega of Japan were telling the guys who created the cyber razor cut and to be this good takes Ages, how to market!
>>
>>249443234
The thing is, though, Suzuki made Virtua Fighter 4 and Outrun 2 after Shenmue 2.

I think the real reason he was frozen out was Sammy; Suzuki's known as a bold risk-taker and innovator, Sammy do not want those kinds of people at Sega.
>>
File: 1000x1000.jpg (138KB, 688x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1000x1000.jpg
138KB, 688x1000px
>>249442885
This was true. Also worth noting, Bernie Stolar was approached by EA and told they'd develop for the Dreamcast only if they can be the only ones making sports games. Stolar had to decline since they put a ton of money into Visual Concepts. He proposed they at least let them make their sports games besides EA's.

EA declined and said they'd only make games if SEGA let them have the monopoly on it. Then later EA goes on to blame SEGA, saying they'll wait and see if the system turns out to be any good.

>>249442786
As was this Official Dreamcast Magazine cover.

>>249444546
That's mostly because, at the time, SEGA had next to no market share in North America. Tom Kalinske had to constantly fight with SoJ to be able to do what was needed. He felt in order for Genesis to survive, it needed a new tagline ("Genesis Does What Nintendon't" was internally seen as "What? Not make money?"), a new price and a better pack-in game.

He realized Genesis was too expensive and Altered Beast, while fun, wouldn't hold people's interests for too long since it was an arcade port and those could be cleared in a short time with infinite amounts of tries.

SoJ's heads were PISSED the moment he suggested packing in Sonic with the system and at a lower price, since Sonic had not been even finished in development yet. They eventually let him and the joke was on them. Sonic and Genesis sold like crazy in NA, while the Mega Drive and Sonic sold relatively okay in Japan.
>>
>>249443801
All they had to do was make a Saturn-style pad with two analogs and a D-pad.
>>
>>249445024
Well, look at it like this. Virtua Fighter is a safe game to develop for SEGA. Whereas Shenmue and OutRun weren't. Why? Money.

Shenmue's development (and advertisement) costs were astronomical at the time and OutRun used the Ferrari license, which cost a pretty penny. As you said, Sammy didn't want someone who took risks. Especially if it involved spending a lot of money.
>>
>>249419772
oh man I never had a legit dream cast game ever.
You didn't even need to mess with the dreamcast to play the pirated games.
>>
>>249445332
Actually, at first you did. This was before people realized games could not only be compressed in a certain way to work on (almost) any system, but also region locks could be ultimately removed. Mod chips were rampant in the early Dreamcast days.
>>
File: Samus Consider.png (256KB, 599x387px) Image search: [Google]
Samus Consider.png
256KB, 599x387px
SEGA straight up didn't have the money to continue supporting a moderately successful console.

Think about it: in the same amount of time that SEGA killed off the Dreamcast, the Wii U had sold even fewer units. The difference is that Nintendo had DS/Wii/Historical Profits to back up their flailing console, but the last huge success SEGA had was the Genesis. Nobody bought the CD, 32x, or Saturn, so they had pretty much nothing but failures going into it.
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 900x791px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 900x791px
This was PS2 lineup in 2001.

How could ANYONE compete?

Also, let's face it.
SEGA went "LOL SO QUIRKY" a bit too much, not to mention Saturn blunder.
>>
>>249445512
Don't forget Utopia was a necessity before people figured out the universal boot key.
>>
>>249445271
VF is a safe game to develop, but the original, back in the early 90s, was insanely ambitious. Today's Sega would have just cranked out a generic Street Fighter clone.

Had Shenmue been ported to GC, PS2 (Shenmue 2 might be a pain though due to VRAM), XBox, and PC, costs could have been significantly softened at least. Thanks, Peter Moore.
>>
Kalinske recently said in the Segabits podcast that he did not know about Hayao Nakayama chewing the SoJ suits out.

The decision to cut off support to the Megadrive/Genesis shows how parochial SoJ were. They were thinking of Japan 24/7 with the Saturn.
>>
>>249445645
>Think about it: in the same amount of time that SEGA killed off the Dreamcast, the Wii U had sold even fewer units.
Just want to clarify that the claim that the Dreamcast completely outsold the Wii U was actually bogus.

If anything, they were closer to even. Dreamcast sold 6.5 million units worldwide from 1998 to 2001, whereas Wii U sold 5.86 million units worldwide between 2012 to December 31, 2013.

Right now, Wii U's looking at having sold 6.17 million units worldwide.
>>
>>249445824
>that fucking lineup
Gaming's golden age really was the early 2000s.
Rest in fucking peace.
>>
Most interesting thread I have seen on /v/ in at least a week.
>>249445645
Never even knew about the CD or 32X back then when I was young. That is how stupidly fast they kept releasing consoles. Also that game gear man......looking back on it the handheld wasn't that good. Gameboy was obviously far superior. I have had/played Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast.
>>
>>249445824
> Fall/Winter 2001
SEGA was already out of the game long before that. They dropped out on January that year.

>>249445878
Doubtful. Remember that Shenmue II did get an Xbox port, which pissed off TONS of Dreamcast owners (myself included) who were waiting for its North American release. Not only was it going to a console that not many people had faith in at the time (remember that western developed consoles were seen as a joke by that point), but we had to wait even longer to get the game.

By that point, plenty of EBs and Babages were selling import PAL copies of Shenmue II on Dreamcast. The Xbox port quickly went to the bargain bin.
>>
>>249446742
The thing is, instead of the 32X they should have redesigned the Game Gear. A Game Gear Lite with better battery life could have seriously picked up sales.

In the whole of the GG's surprisingly long lifespan, they never redesigned the fucking thing. Longer battery life and more portable design was definitely possible yet they just sat on it.
>>
>>249445824
This was there early 2001 lineup! WHAT!

God this makes me feel sad. I never paid nearly as much attention to gaming news back then. I simply bought and played games. I guess marketing may have influenced me but it was just so damn easy for a game to at least be decent back then. These days I can't even be bothered to even look at the shit released.

It's almost like I should have done the opposite. Get hyped and constantly read news back then. Then again these games were probably so much better for me because I went into all of them blind.

Damn it /v/. Gaming is shit now. Fuck. I don't know why but it shouldn't surprise me that a console had a line up this good back then. Maybe I am just too old now.
>>
it didn't have Madden or Fifa
infighting between SOJ and SOA
PS2
Sega Saturn
Sega 32X
store owners wouldn't carry the DC or the games is probably the #1 reason tho, You couldn't buy a Dreamcast after the 1st year even if you wanted to.
>>
>>249446620
That number will only go up once Smash is out.
>>
>>249447018
What I mean is Shenmue beng ported following Dreamcast Shenmue 2.

The whole reason Shenue 2 ended up on XBox was because Peter Moore wanted a job at MS.
>>
>>249447018
>that story about the guy who brought Shenmue II to the Xbox being shit talked by the security guard at an airport
>>
>>249447119
They would have needed to make that damn thing Super fucking light. I still have mine and that thing ate too much damn batteries as well. Way too big with a tiny little screen to. Wonder if they could have done a better handheld if they had the chance.
>>
>>249447173
I like how EA is trying to pull a dreamcast again, but this time with Wii U, simply because Nintendo refused to use Origin or whatever EA had in mind, as it's online service provider.
>>
>>249447119
in 1994 no one really wanted a new anything, the Western retailers begged Sega to support the 32X since Genesisis still sold like hot cakes and the Nomad had just came out, but SOJ had their Saturn ready and then 1995 E3 happened and the rest is history.
>>
>>249447365
Link please.
>>
>>249447173
>store owners wouldn't carry the DC or the games is probably the #1 reason tho, You couldn't buy a Dreamcast after the 1st year even if you wanted to.
Think you're confusing Dreamcast with Saturn, bro. Plenty of stores had Dreamcasts and games - they just couldn't get rid of them. Saturn, on the other hand, was something no one wanted to stock up on. Especially not after SEGA's surprise E3 launch.

>>249447134
They needed it. Their 2000 launch and post-launch lineup were horrible and people weren't going to keep buying a PS2 to be just their cheap DVD players.

SEGA also let the Dreamcast's final year go out relatively okay.

-Phantasy Star Online and Ver. 2
-The Typing of the Dead
-Record of Lodoss War
-Daytona USA
-Unreal Tournament
-Bangai-O
-Illbleed
-Mars Matrix
-Giga Wing 2
-Project Justice
-Sonic Adventure 2
-Crazy Taxi 2
-Alien Front Online
-Bomberman Online
-Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
-Outtrigger

>>249447817
http://segabits.com/blog/2013/11/05/popular-on-reddit-a-tsa-officer-once-let-the-ceo-of-sega-through-saying-i-dont-need-to-see-your-passport-youre-the-asshole-that-gave-away-shenmue-to-xbox/
>>
>>249447817
http://segabits.com/blog/2013/11/05/popular-on-reddit-a-tsa-officer-once-let-the-ceo-of-sega-through-saying-i-dont-need-to-see-your-passport-youre-the-asshole-that-gave-away-shenmue-to-xbox/
>>
>>249447782
Sega Japan made decisions based entirely on the Japanese market.

The fact that the Megadrive/Genesis was doing fantastic in the West was totally ignored because they were obssessed with the Japan market.
>>
>>249447949
>>249447990

>Peter Moore
This entire thread summed up right here.
>>
>>249448101
>The fact that the Megadrive/Genesis was doing fantastic in the West was totally ignored because they were obssessed with the Japan market.
That and absolutely asspained that their decisions were backfiring on them, while the western side was doing so much better than they were.
>>
File: Crocodile's Ghost.png (508KB, 478x455px) Image search: [Google]
Crocodile's Ghost.png
508KB, 478x455px
>>249447949
>>249447990

>this must have happened shortly before/after the one year anniversary of 9/11
>mfw this dude risked his job to tell Peter Moore to fuck off over a video game
>>
>>249448101
This makes them extremely stupid. At least business wise. America is a far bigger country then Japan.
>>
>>249410180
he tried to fuck with the sony
>>
File: Joseph Haet Japan.png (952KB, 1059x601px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph Haet Japan.png
952KB, 1059x601px
>>249448450

Japanese xenophobia was probably way more intense back in the 90s.
>>
>>249448450
B-b-but my fabled Japanese honor, it doesn't matter if i burn my entire business TO THE FUCKING GROUND as long as i get to keep it.
>>
>>249448450
>America
But the gaming culture is far bigger in Japan and it is their homeland.
>>
>>249448593
Japanese xenophobia is so insane they hate themselves.
>>
>>249448806
Doesn't matter, as the ones making those calls in Japan are mainly suits thinking only about money and work. It's not a matter of "Our country has more gamers." It was more of "We believe we'll sell this many and we expect it to be at this price and in this manner."

Remember, SEGA of Japan did not want SEGA of America to drop the Genesis' price or have it come with Sonic packed in. They were also opposed to releasing a console without a game packaged in at a cheaper price.
>>
>>249448806
Remember how nobody gave a flying fuck about metroid in Japan and how it wasn't until Nintendo shifted focus completely on the west that the franchise grew huge and loved, and what happened when they tried to appeal again to Japan with other M ?
If a market doesn't want your product take your business elsewhere, it has nothing to do with gaming culture or homeland.
>>
>>249448450
this was the 90's so Japan was still hot shit and ran the console industry.
>>
>>249448806
>But the gaming culture is far bigger in Japan and it is their homeland.

They can have 75% of Japs buy their console and it will only take a small amount of Americans to buy the consoles for them to beat the Japanese. America and therefore any larger country should be the priority. Especially considering how small Japan is.

Plus America consumes entertainment like it's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I liked Sega a lot growing up but it's easy to see why they stopped making consoles. Just a shame Microsoft's Xbox has all this potential yet chooses to shit up the industry instead of truly improve it. For every good thing they ever done they always made sure to do something hateable.

Would much rather see Sony, Sega and Nintendo going at it if history could ever repeat itself. Although Sega would need to be told to not make retarded decisions.
>>
>>249449049
>Remember how nobody gave a flying fuck about metroid in Japan and how it wasn't until Nintendo shifted focus completely on the west that the franchise grew huge and loved

Is it reasonable for me to be very upset that the Japanese people didn't want to like Metroid?
>>
Good games on Dreamcast never had wide appeal.
>>
>>249450340
Same could be said for most of SEGA's library. The thing was that SEGA was primarily aiming for gamers.
>>
>>249449773
Maximising your marketability at the expense of your homegrown fanbase is how you get amazing companies like EA, Activision ad Ubisoft.

Although it's frustrating to see markets ignored because you're in one, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the wrong decision.

e.g. the casual gamer market is way bigger than core gaming market, but you wouldn't want every company to target their IPs at casual markets?

If you say you would I admire your consistency but question your critical thinking.
>>
>>249452202
>but you wouldn't want every company to target their IPs at casual markets?

The thing that ticks me off about /v/ is that they consider a broad spectrum of games to be casual. Such as Halo a series I liked for a while. Now if by casual you mean those shitty fla-I mean phone games then yes I wouldn't really want that. Although some company out there will always want to fill a niche if they know they can make money.

While it was a bit earlier in gamings rebirth (the gen after NES) I feel Sega should have known that gaming has gotten big again in America by the time there Genesis was out. Some of the things anons have said here about Sega's decisions only leads me to believe they let their stupidity or possible xenophobia get the better of them. Them being afraid of the PS1 though tells me that they couldn't have been scared that America didn't really care much for games and it was only going to be a fad for them. Basically saying it's just way too hard to defend most of these decisions I am reading that they made. Even when I try to analyze it more.
>>
>>249453125
There's a huge difference between something like Halo, a popular console shooter and STALKER, a popular PC shooter. Halo is a casual game by definition, you can't be AAA and not have casual appeal.
>>
>>249410180
EA would not let any of their publishers and affiliates put games out on it due to Sega not letting them have exclusive rights to sports titles on the system.

At that time that was like 30% of the market not being on your console but on the PS2.

They even hobbled the XBOX somewhat with shit liek this to get MS to let them do their own thing on live.
>>
>>249453547
>Halo is a casual game by definition, you can't be AAA and not have casual appeal.

Well then with that said I actually have and can like these so called "casual" games at times. I also liked AC 1 and 2. More AC2 of course. I don't get why so many on /v/ have so much hate for anything (and I mean anything) they deem casual.

Simple and casual games can be some of the most fun. In fact if Doom ever came out today I wouldn't be surprised if people here called it indie hipster casual trash since it plays so simple today compared to other games. It's simplicity is why I have loved it best.

So yeah there is nothing wrong with casual games necessarily. Only what types of casual games and fans might be the problem.
>>
>>249452202
>>249453125
Look, here's the easiest way to look at things.

Sonic Dash/Jump/Shit on Games/etc. and Crazy Taxi: City Rush - those are examples of taking your core IPs and shitting on them by turning them casual to appeal to a more open market. It's basically turned Sonic and Crazy Taxi into Temple Run clones while pushing heavily on microtransactions and ads.

Phantasy Star Online 2es - this is how you take an IP and aim towards a more casual audience. It's much more simplistic than PSO2 is, can be played on Android and iOS devices and you can transfer your loot towards your main PSO2 character (well, in the Android version, anyway).
>>
>>249453983
There is nothing wrong with casual games, but there's a lot of things wrong with games that have casual appeal. A lot of nickle and diming, a lot of bad design and sloppy mechanics, poor development environments, lack of personality, lack of identity, over-marketing, poor budgeting, obnoxious over-simplification.

DOOM is a simpler game and it flourishes in that simplicity. Assassins Creed is a homogenized game that stumbles through its simplicity, a game produced by 300 people but not a single one had anything personal injected in the game. You play DOOM, a game made by 10 dudes and you learn about them, who they are, what they like and what they're passionate about, it's a lesson in history and culture playing DOOM.

Assassins Creed is a lesson in buyers remorse.
>>
>>249454335
>Assassins Creed is a lesson in buyers remorse.

Nope you are wrong. Don't assume I played all of them either. Only played two games in the series. But while I agree they are too easy I wouldn't say they were bad. They were pretty damn good at times. Mostly well made. It doesn't matter if it was made by 300 or 10 people. What matter is if the game comes out good.
>>
>A Dreamcast thread where people know their shit
>They even managed to compare it to the Wii U without devolving into console wars

Who are you and what have you done with my /v/
>>
>>249454763
Assassins Creed definitely didn't turn out very positively. It had to be one of the worst examples of open world design I've seen in my life, with depthless mechanics and poorly thought out level design, that was so lacking in cohesiveness they completely fucked up the proposed free-running parkour system in favor of a plays itself system. One of the most insipid stories in gaming, dazzlingly stupid characters and an active mockery to the stealth genre. That, and the mission design, my god, what were they thinking? "Oh hey, lets have an open world game! where you go around cities, pick pocket the same homeless guy 6 times, collect the same flags 10 times, and jump from the same high places 200 times as missions. Fuck originality."

The series was off to a remarkably awful start, and I know I would not enjoy a new installment past the first.

It's good for you that you like the games, be my guest, like whatever you want, but the AC games are awful, horrendous games.
>>
>>249454763
But Jade's game sucks though
>>
>>249455140
Late night/early morning Dreamcast threads always turn out to be great.
>>
>>249455273
Look I admit that AC seemed like it would be way better before AC1 came out. It seriously even sounded like the perfect stealth game. What came out though while not even a tenth as good as I and many thought it would be, wasn't too bad either. It had a ton of potential but just turned out way different. Like Fable actually.
>>249455339
>But Jade sucks though
FTFY
>>
>>249418148
>>249419256
You do realize the DC was discontinued before the Xbox was even out, right? And that Sega and Microsoft worked heavily together on both console, it's the reason why DC OS was Windows CE and why the Xbox had Sega exclusives and that Fat controller. The reason why they got out of the console market was because they had fucked up royally with the Mega Drive II and they tanked in Japan, their main market, thanks to not managing to get customers interested on the console and the PS2.
>>
>>249458000
Several points are wrong here.

MS announcing it was jumping in made things crowded and hard to handle, what with PS2 being there and Nintendo's GameCube on the way. Dreamcast had no OS. Microsoft CE was what was used for some games, but nothing else. SEGA had nothing to do with making the Xbox. They simply provided more games on the Xbox platform because they felt it was the more suitable home than GameCube was (SEGA was extremely hesitant about releasing games on the PS2).

And SEGA's financial woes go between Mega Drive selling way less than Super Famicom and PC-Engine in Japan, CD and 32X being failures everywhere and Saturn flopping in the west. That's also not counting having 3% of the market share with Master System and Game Gear also being a flop, along with wasted money on the Nomad and various amounts of SEGA CD variations that combined consoles.

PS2 was just one of many factors.
>>
I suppose Sega saw Microsoft's Xbox as sort of the "successor" of the Dreamcast (which is why all of their good IPs went to the Xbox), but darn if I wish it went to a better console. I guess that's just wishful thinking though.

OT: Does JSRF work on 360s? I found a Sega GT/JSRF disc at a flea market last weekend for $3.
>>
>>249426153
>Didn't even mention PSO, aka the best game on the dreamcast
Fuck off.
>>
>>249458624
>but darn if I wish it went to a better console
The OG Xbox was a fuckin' powerhouse compared to the PS2 and Gamecube, the games did go to the "better" console.
My JSRF copy does, I expect the GT/JSRF disk to work too.
>>
Can't be arsed using google.

is the original Xbox somehow related to the dreamcast?
>>
>>249458942
End of 2000, bro.

PSO came out in 2001. Not to mention, that ended up being a multiplatform game. But yes, it was indeed one of the best games on the system.

>>249459057
Only thing is that SEGA's Isao Okawa tried talking with Bill Gates a few times to make the Xbox backwards compatible with the Dreamcast.
>>
Fucking Jet Set Radio Future man.
That was the best.
I hope we get an HD re-release of it.
>>
>>249459476
Doesn't seem likely at this point. SEGA gave people HD remakes of NiGHTS, SA2 and JSR and ultimately stopped. I'm betting sales were low as hell, despite all the bitching Sanic fans did to get an HD remake.
>>
>>249458942
It's aged pretty disgustingly though. Those drop rates, jesus fucking christ
>>
>>249410180
Because of Sonydomination. Wii will share the same fate soon.
>>
>>249460678
Not as bad as where you dropped your equipped weapon and Meseta every time you died. Thank god later version of the game took the former part out.
>>
infighting and Sega of Japan stupidity
>>
>>249459476
I would like Skies of Arcadia legends HD, more.
>>
File: team sonic.jpg (30KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
team sonic.jpg
30KB, 320x240px
thank you /v/ for keeping this alive and not devolving into a
>sega never made a good game ever

probably going to get shit on for this but since having current sega pulling those type of games en masse seems impossible i am content with the fact that they became a good publisher especially if you know moon

sure in a perfect world we would get all of their games localised but then again bamco also falls into that category
>>
Not a single bit of buyers remorse because I played PSO for literally HUNDREDS of hours online raping my parents phone line.
>>
>>249465274
I only wish for sega to FUCK OFF with Sonic already, and remake some of their older games.
>>
File: ibRcRG.png (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
ibRcRG.png
1MB, 1280x960px
>>249466257
is not sonic boom outsourced to some other company though?

sure it still gets funded by sega but it does give the impression that sonic team would rather work on something else other than on a sonic game again
>>
>>249410180
Because nobody paid for any games.

My brother literally only bought one for free games.
>>
>>249466684
Rip in piss Overworks.
>>
>>249466852
Get the fuck off 4chan Andy.
>>
>>249466684
That game was so good, but fuck that flaming pit moth boss fight forever.
>>
>>249448450
Same reason I keep telling blind Nintendo fans that the Wiiu isn't coming back to win this gen, unless they win the west. America and Europe are both simply more important than Japan, in term of sales.
>>
>>249433179
>He also thinks Nintendo be the first one drop out of the console race.

IIt's not a bad predicition at all. Sony/Mircosoft are conglometes with endless sources of money. Everytime Nintendo makes a blunder, it could destroy their business.

Everytime Mircosoft/Sony fuck up, they can just toss money at their problems.

The other thing is that Nintendo didn't take advantage of the Wii/DS when they still had the chance.
>>
>>249469118
Not too sure about Sony. The PS brand is like the only division at Sony that is making money.
Now Microsoft has money to burn. They have more cash than Sony and Nintendo combined.....4 x over!
>>
Quick, /v/. I need some DC games to play. Been looking through what I can burn, but nothing really interests me. Other than Shadow Man, which I'll get around to, but I'm not in any hurry.
>>
>>249470163
Oh, and I've already played JSR. It was ok, but would have been so much better if a) the camera button and spray button weren't the same button, and b) there were a button to press when you wanted to grind, so you could have more control over it (like in THPS).
>>
>>249470390
The HD re-release fixes the camera, you can now freely spin it as you like. I agree on the grind button though, it's finicky as shit
>>
File: 1400092459976.gif (185KB, 673x379px) Image search: [Google]
1400092459976.gif
185KB, 673x379px
>>249469525
Sony gets it's money from other division. The game division doesn't make that much money compare to the rest of the company. Sony's media, and finanical services are more profitable. It's obvious that Sony/Mircosoft are sacrificing profitability for sheer marketshare, and starving Nintendo out of revenue.

Playstation/Xbox brand wouldn't work if it was a solo company. Playstation rose the production of cost with cd/blu-ray players, and spend ridiculous amount on marketing. We already know that Xbox Brand is a loss leader because it's a marketing ploy.
>>
>>249422212
Where the devs from sega went?
>>
>>249469118
Nintendo has enough money to last them until 2050 and that is without making a single dime in the meantime.
They can afford to make a blunder once in a decade.
And i am yet to hear nintendo selling it's buildings like sony to stay afloat or microsot ceo talking about closing down or outsorcing their xbox gaming division.
>>
File: dcstandbig.gif (35KB, 502x377px) Image search: [Google]
dcstandbig.gif
35KB, 502x377px
Dreamcast never failed. It did exactly what it needed to do:

Be the perfect console.
>>
>>249470163
As for shadow man play the most superior version on pc, buy or pirate gog version, power stone, ooga booga, toy commander zombie revenge, grandia 2, skies of arcaida fighting games, beat em ups, and even 2k sport games are pretty good as well as sword of berserk.
>>
Sony selling on hopes and dreams again.
Plus PS2 was the cheapest way to get a DVD player.
>>
>>249472142
They had spent their money trying to build another pillar since Portables/console sales are going down.

I'm not saying that Nintendo can't surivive, but Nintendo has to focus on profitability while Mircosoft/Sony can spend 100 million stealing the marketshare
>>
>>249416191
Because the videogame market has evolved (or devolved, rather) into "which next gen console will play my First Person Shooter games at the highest graphics settings?"

Seeing how Nintendo still doesn't pander to that crowd, they sadly lose sales.
Thread posts: 248
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.