[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Going to college for video game design NO. Let me la

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 541
Thread images: 60

File: Beta dam.jpg (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Beta dam.jpg
161KB, 800x600px
>Going to college for video game design

NO.

Let me lay this down for you guys, if you REALLY have to get into video james you go to college and do a SOFTWARE DEVLOPMENT COURSE.

Why?

Because,

Video game design course
>Teaches you how to make vidya
Thats it

Software devlopment
>Teaches you how to make apps
>Teaches you how to program
>Make websites
>Gives you experience as a software engineer

Software developer is best course.

Now that thats out of the way, CUT CONTENT FROM VIDYA!

>The dam in this picture was from shadow of the collous, it was not in the final game but by using glitches a youtuber was able to find this dam which stood twice as tall and wide as the games tallest boss in an out of bounds area. It is not known why it was cut from the game

Video (The guy acts like a real arrogant prick but still):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R1g9zZfU0
>>
WHY THE FUCK WASNT I TOLD THIS EARLIER?!! IM IN MY 4TH YEAR OF VIDEO GAME DESIGN AHHHHHH
>>
I do software development too OP, it's pretty balla
>>
That fucked up shark dungeon from ocarina of time beta, looked kinda cool bit bloody tho
>>
>I want to do art for games!
>Hurr go to school for programming
>>
>>248897582
>want to be in vidya development
>take course for vidya development
>hand resume out to companies
>beat by people who have multiple development areas under their belt
>>
>>248896648
But anon, video game design DOESN'T teach you how to make vidya.

At least I knew it was bullshit when I was going in, just wanted to experience uni and got in through clearing.
>>
>>248897790

>Focusing all your academic time on programming when you want to work in an artistic field and not fostering your artistic talent

#1 way to screw your future as an artist, you'll never do art again in your life
>>
>>248897839
yes it does? what else would it teach? atleast with software development you have a lot of back ups
>>
So is software developer good /v/? I was thinking of doing it next year in college, pay good? many jobs avalible?
>>
I'm going to school for computer science with a specialization in software engineering and a minor in game programming because it fits in my schedule.

Did I do alright?
>>
>>248898021
It doesn't teach much, that's for sure
>>
File: 51fdc87eafa96f28fc000006.jpg (11KB, 248x249px) Image search: [Google]
51fdc87eafa96f28fc000006.jpg
11KB, 248x249px
>shadow of the collous
>>
>>248898307
in India
>>
Is it true all software developers and mechanical engineers are fat and ugly? I dont wanna be fat and ugly :(
>>
File: 1402774888198.jpg (151KB, 342x759px) Image search: [Google]
1402774888198.jpg
151KB, 342x759px
>have day job that actually pays
>make games in my spare time with tools that make it easy
>be master race
>>
>>248896648
i remember when there was a lot of exploration and discussion of this over at GameFAQs.
pikol didn't shut up about it for months, it was so annoying. Where's Receipt when you need him, eh?
>>
soft dev is essentially what you take if you cant math and therefore get a soft eng degree

they essentially are the same job but one youll get paid a lot more and be hired instantly out of college
>>
I'm getting a degree in Computer Information Systems.
did I fuck up?
>>
>>248899210
which one is the one where you get paid a lot more and get hired instantly?
>>
>>248896648
>Common sense general?
Common sense general.
>>
>>248899434
its not common for the people who take "game design" classes
>>
>>248899396
eng

any eng degree is literally the best thing you can go to college for, unless you have a famous last name
>>
>>248899210
Dev by a long shot, you got way more shit you can do
>>
>>248898794

This is the way to do it. Most successful level designers worked on mods in their spare time, and most successful game designers were QA guys for years because you have to learn the process of making games. Going to vidya game school for anything other than CG animation is a waste, and arguably that because that major basically just helps you build a portfolio and meet people. My animator friend is a senior in college and his modelling skills are still pretty poor. The only real thing it got out of it was an internship and eventually a job from the university connections.

College in general is a waste unless you're learning a technical skill. Many successful people including Bill Gates and Gabe Newell believe that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment for the vast majority for Americans.
>>
>>248899794
>College in general is a waste

*tips fedora*
>>
File: 6RD3WMK.jpg (46KB, 538x717px) Image search: [Google]
6RD3WMK.jpg
46KB, 538x717px
>>248899794
Guy you're responding to. I agree, I went to college knowing full well its about the connections rather than the degree. I'm fortunate enough to have already met people who are relatively successful and willing to help me out, so I keep those lines fresh as I finish up this lolEnglish degree.
>>
What should I do, software engineerin/development or mechanical engineering? I know there is maths involved in both but is it a lot of maths?
>>
>>248899794
>Many successful people including Bill Gates and Gabe Newell believe that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment for the vast majority for Americans.

And yet here we are expected to go to it no matter what by our parents, because it "makes you successful"
>>
>>248900292
>any engineering

i hope you like numbers
>>
>>248900405
but a lot of numbas? :(
>>
My uni splits it into two majors. You can either do a CS degree with the majority of your electives being about game design and whatnot, or you can do "interactive media and games" which is basically doing art, animation and UI design for games and other electronic things people use, but it's pretty low on coding.
>>
>>248898307
Realize that you're competing against the "autists" who have been programming since they were kids. Expect to end up in a soulless job maintaining blobs of Java that no one ever sees.
>>
>>248900137

I never said that. College is good for learning technical skills like medicine or engineering. Other than that, it's pretty much a toss up whether you flushed hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain.
>>
>>248901170
Only a couple thousand if you do community college.
>>
>>248901170
But at the end of the day, somone will hire a guy who has a degree in software devlopment over some autist who tells him that he coded a furry vore rpg in unity
>>
>>248901531
Cover all bases and do both. Degrees these days are the new highschool diplomas.
>>
I wanted to be an architect/engineer who does level design on the side. It really sucks when the university you end up at doesn't offer anything remotely like that, and you end up spending years shoehorning yourself into a field you hate just to leave anyway.

>>248900348
>And yet here we are expected to go to it no matter what by our parents, because it "makes you successful"

It's a waste of time if you get bad advice like "all degrees are the same" "just get any degree". Art degrees are almost completely useless.

>>248901531

Frankly, I'd rather hire someone with experience in the field. A degree looks nice on paper, but getting hired is all about having a portfolio.
>>
>>248902706
>Frankly, I'd rather hire someone with experience in the field. A degree looks nice on paper, but getting hired is all about having a portfolio.
If only all employers thought like you
>>
Is railroad a good industry to try and get into?
I already spend half my time on the computer
I don't need to spend the rest on it coding.
>>
>/v/ - Career Counseling

It's lame how every fuck here thinks he has all the secret facts and insider info on the job outlook when 95% of you are unemployed permaneets.
>>
>>248903012
do you like being a little faggot? then yes its a great job to get into
>>
File: Tripfag enters the thread.gif (1MB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
Tripfag enters the thread.gif
1MB, 250x200px
>implying software dev courses teach you about grafix or anything
you're a funny guy. Vidya dev courses teach you what you would get with a software dev course, PLUS those things
>>
>any course
>near as useless as information and technology

seriously, I'd take underwater armenian square dancing as a major over this shit if I had the chance.
>>
>>248903356
>95% of you are unemployed permaneets.
I love how im the furtest thing possible from the /v/ trope

>6'4 tall
>slender and defined body
>actually done modeling before for DandG and have me in three of there mags and was on there website for awhile
>have a job as a mechanical engineer
it feels weird man
>>248903406
looks like someone done the mistake of taking a vidya course
>>
>>248901531
Well nope. Courses like media studies and video game design are retarded. They teach little and give nothing. I'm doing Business Process Management , and I know several people doing vidya at my uni, they know fuck all about actual game design, most of them focus on triple-AAAs as examples of great games and a few didn't even understand how CPU and GPU's factor into games.
>>
>>248901628
So what is no degree then
>>
>>248903795
Fucked; unless you get experience. Degrees and shit are what lead you experience in the workplace, after that it pretty much relies on your performance in employment.
>>
>>248903657

>there
>>
>>248904032
Yeah I agree. It's always been that way, at least over the last couple of dozen years.
>>
>>248896648
Thanks, dad.
>>
File: Or6pWkP.gif (1023KB, 195x220px) Image search: [Google]
Or6pWkP.gif
1023KB, 195x220px
>>248900292
ME here
there's a shit ton of calculus, and differential equations in classes
but I just finished my first co-op term, actual work is way better and more fun.
If you aren't sure if you should go ME, then don't.
>>
>subjecting one's self to the degree mill instead of pursuing interests and self improvement on your own
>ever

fucking wage slaves.
>>
>>248904162
Relax, he's an engineer.
>>
>>248904306
So its not just all maths and wizzle gobbles numerials?
>>
>>248903795
You can get a software development job with no degree, you just have to know how to program and have something to show (not necessarily a complete project, just show that you can hook up the components and have them function together)

Also being in the right place at the right time helps
>>
Fuck software engineering.
It teaches you absolutely NOTHING.
It's either inapplicable theory shit or hopelessly outdated and sparcely covers a ridiculously large field without teaching you anything solid. It's useless. If you want to get into vidya, programming, software, vidya art, whatever. Don't get an education, get a portfolio.
>>
>>248904550
>Also being in the right place at the right time helps

More than you might be selling it. That's not secure enough to ever really risk for most people. Probably why they'd feel more comfortable going into massive debt to improve those odds.
>>
>>248904308
get a load of this hypocrite.
>>
Work as IT guy for some nameless MMO and work your way up from there

Profession is applicable
>>
File: 1269081578568.jpg (11KB, 248x252px) Image search: [Google]
1269081578568.jpg
11KB, 248x252px
>>248904675
Pretty much this.
University is fucking useless if you want to learn how to into video games.

Go to uni for the fancy paper or whatever, but be prepared for absolutely nothing.
>>
>>248904436
Of course not. You won't go out to the shop floor and hand the machinist a bunch of equations. You eventually design shit.
If you do go ME, I highly suggest trying to get a co-op or internship. Work experience as an engineer before you graduate should not be taken for granted.
>>
>>248903657
>tfq 5' 11" and attractive
>electrical engineer
>have a wife
>still browse /v/
I don't know why I subject myself to this
>>
>>248905037
What about animation
>>
>>248904817

mad as fuck wage slave detected

still sucking the daily dick circuit so maybe they'll give you 10 more cents in five years?
>>
I am going into computer/software engineering

My friend is going to Digipen for game design and he says he has no intention of learning to code or model, but TO DESIGN
what a fucking retard I am probably going to not be friends with him the day he moves
>>
>>248899794
>Many successful people including Bill Gates and Gabe Newell believe that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment for the vast majority for Americans.
These people were Harvard or Yale kids who already had 'success' written all over them, and not just because of the incredibly different face of the market in their time. It didn't matter if they failed, they could have easily fell back on their rich parents. Not to mention back then the market was more than happy to employ you in a wide range of fields, even if you had a Harvard BA in Dog Washing.

The idea that college in the digital age is an extremely poor investment is telling of their Jewish nature. If you're happy with the prospect of making millions by rolling the dice in the current state of the app market to in making the next big thing, more power to you. But if you actually want a job, where you apply for it via an interview, you're only kidding yourself in thinking you don't need a degree.

People with Master and Honours find it difficult to find jobs for fucks sake. Seriously, don't take the advice of billionaire Jews.
>>
>>248896648
What would be required of me if I want to get into Soft-dev?
Do I need math? I suck at math...that is the main thing im worried about
>>
>>248905165
If there's no course focusing on animation, and I mean ONLY on animation, at the uni you're going to attend, then you've gotta learn it in your spare time.
>>
>>248903406
If you want to know about "graphics" you do Computer Science, and then an specialization in Computer Graphics. You better like math.
>>
>>248899396

Mathematics.

But you need to do post-grad research.

But dat 300k startin'
>>
>>248905219
Unless you're living off the land like a nomad hunter, you're a slave like the rest of us. In fact, how do you even have internet access right now?
>>
>>248905368
>Do I need math
Not really, you can be a programmer that doesn't math higher than plus minus times divide remainder
>>
>>248896648
Graduating with comp sci degree next semester.

Hate it, currently sell pet food as job
>>
>>248905958

>plus minus times divide remainder

That's barely arithmetic, let only math.
>>
DO COMPUTER SCIENCE YOU RETARDED MOTHERFUCKERS I MAKE 100K STARTING.
>>
>>248906080
Are the pets at least happy?
>>
>>248905157

>male model
>ferrari
>massive home in SoCal, vacation every year at 5 star resorts in Ibiza, sometimes in Dubai or some other locale if the little lady is feeling bored
>CEO of a massive multinational company, own more than majority shares in a few big name vidya companies
>wife is a famous actress and physicist
>son is a Saudi Arabian prince
>dabble in missile and military tech design on slow days, recently prototyped a man operated mobile rail gun emplacement, lobbying for lucrative defense contracts on it
>funding over 70% of the moon colonization tech being developed myself
>living the dream
>sippin' in the breeze
>still come to /v/

Why god. Why did I stumble upon this silly little cyst on the back of the net's ass during that party at Bill's place.
>>
>>248906080
>Hate it
Why did you do it then?
>>
>>248896648
>Software devlopment

Teaches you how to BUILD vidya. The construction workers don't design the buildings.

Game design is still a shitty major, mostly because you've probably never heard of a single noted game designer who decided to teach it. There are zero experts in education positions. You shouldn't take it because it is a money grab, not because SW dev is a better vidya major.
>>
>>248905958
thank god, i want to become a programmer, but im seeing all this complex math stuff on /g/ all the time
>>
>>248905157
>5' 11"
We all have a reason anon. It's okay.
>>
>>248906183
I didn't start hating it until the end.

Mainly, I've always been intrigued by computers, and love playing video games, so I at least wanted to learn and know how it all worked.
>>
>>248906117
Highest paying fast food chain I've ever heard of.
>>
>>248906117

I'm hoping to get into the comp sci special field during my time in the national guard, hopefully launch from that into a nice career.
>>
>>248906080
why do you hate it?
this is kinda depressing because i´m studying the same.
>>
>>248906183
Also to add on to this >>248906293

Computers have always been magical to me, even after learning how you go from an electrical pulse to hex and pixels and all that other shit, I'm still in awe of the modern computer.

But learning, and doing are two different things.

I LOATHEE writing code
>>
>>248906359
>>248906383
COME CODE AT MICROSOFT WITH ME. IF YOU SUCK MY DICK I'LL REFER YOU FOR FREE.
>>
>>248906217
Nah mate, math obviously helps in the sense that it makes you practice logic thinking, which is of utmost important on programming. But it's not like you can't program if you don't know advanced calculus.

Unless, obviously, if you want to get into an area that actually uses wizardry levels of math.
>>
>like video games
>start making maps and basic mods
>start programming
>decide I want to try to make video games
>go to college to git gud at programming
>decide while I'm there that I like software development too
>literally like both of them equally, end up majoring in software development
>graduate
>1.5 months and can't get beyond stage 1 interviews

Am I fucked, or not patient enough?
>>
>>248906293

do your prospects look good at least?
>>
>>248906494
>But learning, and doing are two different things.
You haven't really learned something unless you can do it
>>
>>248905165
>>248905469
PRECISELY what this anon said, and I can confirm to you because I've experienced it.
I was moving in and out of courses for a year and a half after highschool because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, when I figured I'd just go fully with animation. I'm a pretty good writer as well so I thought I'll take animation and am bound to find work in the field somewhere. For electives I was taking units from the course I was initially going to go with fully, Commerce, but the people around you just love saying 'folllow your dreams anon!'.

The last two semesters I've been doing Animation and let me tell you, I have learnt fuck all. We worked with flash, with modelled some shit, did some mocap work and it was all the most dull and forgettable thing you could image. It was even funnier because I was learning more at home while watching youtube clips and reading articles than when I was in class. So I transferred to Commerce and haven't looked back.

The only reason I can recommend taking a course in animation at university is for the possible industry connections and the fact that you can intern. But before you do that, you need to make sure you love animating 110%. If you don't spent hours a day animating, if it isn't constantly on your mind, then don't take the course, because you'll sink in thousands and realize you don't like it.
>>
>>248906217
That wasn't a jackass answer either. I loved the shit out of graph theory, but I haven't had to use anything more complex than multiplication since graduation. Anything complicated will have an expert building the algorithm,but you can pull 90k just being the guy that calls his functions.
>>
>>248906540
>Am I fucked, or not patient enough?
W-well, just keep trying.
>>
>>248906512
>an area that actually uses wizardry levels of math.

which is all important programming areas.
>>
>>248906540
Contribute to open source projects. Whip up some projects of your own and try to get a userbase. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just prove that you know your shit. Going to university doesn't mean jack anymore.
>>
>>248906540
Getting into the industry is hard. Out of all the graduates from my class, only 3 including me were able to find a job that involved programming. But when you do get an interview, bring shit you've done on your spare time. My boss told me the gravity simulator I showed off during the interview was what got me the contract.
>>
Or just be like based Kojima/Suda/Levine/Kamiya and work mainly as a script writer and work your way up and make real works of art.

don't hurt me STEM /v/
>>
File: 1356488194526.jpg (10KB, 245x265px) Image search: [Google]
1356488194526.jpg
10KB, 245x265px
>Taking a computer science degree
>Whole first year is wasted pretty much fucking nothing
>Gotta drag my ass through this shitty degree just so I have some fancy paper, so I can MAYBE get myself a job
Fuck I don't have the motivation for this shit.

Anyone have the link to the cut colossi?
>>
>>248906474
see
>>248906293

But to be fair, I thrill seek, and things get boring and old pretty quickly.

And after working some internships, they left a sour taste in my mouth working under people.

I just can't work under people for a set pay, I fucking can't do it.

Even if you end up not liking it, it's a respectable field of study, it shows you tried hard in college and pursued something that took effort.

>>248906645
I run my own pet food business, and looking to expand past local sells, so hopefully.

But you never know, the degree is at least a solid fall back option if things get bad.

>>248906709
What I mean is that I can't see myself doing it as a career after the initial learning stage.
>>
>>248896648
Damn, not bad advice man.

Personally I'm glad that I took the Multimedia Design course rather than the Video Game Design course. I can now make adverts, cover art for cds or what the fuck ever, and I've already been commissioned by a couple local companies to make their official Logos.

If I'd taken Video Game design I'd have been shoehorned fucking hard into an industry I'm not sure I have the talent to compete in.
>>
>>248904675
Elaborate on portfolio please? Do I just start making random bullshit apps like for example some web scheduling app for some made up company, then upload it to my bitbucket?
>>
>>248906760
Maybe if you consider academia. Maybe.

For business and the average software development, it really isn't.
>>
>>248906986
And if a company really needs math outside of what the average employee can learn through google, they'll have a department for that
>>
>>248901170
>flushed hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain.
Only if you are a fucking idiot or went to medical school. Your private liberal arts college isn't worth the sticker price, so unless you have a free ride, then go to community college and transfer into a state university. Where you got your degree is irrelevant for most fields after you have a couple years of experience.
>>
christ is IT or compsci worth it or not?

let's be real here.
>>
>>248906821
>>248906830
I am somewhat confident in my ability to make something, but not to come up with an idea of what to make.
>>
So in conclusion

Software development course = bad idea?
>>
>>248907161
>let's be real here
Yeah, ask /v/ for serious advice for your future, what could go wrong?
>>
>>248896648
HOW TO BECOME A GAME DEV:
>learn the basics of a language like C++ or Java (lel) by reading a book or two
>keep experimenting until you have something presentable
>release it for free
>repeat until you are skilled enough to make a game worthy of selling
>fin.
>>
>>248906974
>Do I just start making random bullshit apps like for example some web scheduling app for some made up company
Pretty much. Hobby projects, make believe industry applications. If you can give an example of completed projects the interviewer will be all over your dick. And if you can give an example of something you made which you maintain and is used by people, all the better.
>>
>>248907236
Yes.
Taking a math/physics course which has some programming in, or you can incorporate, it is a better bet.
>>
>>248907161
Look, I might be somewhat jaded, but let me put it to you this way.

If you spend 25%+ of your free time on your computer coding, or doing anything that has to do with it (modding probably also counts), then probably yes. If not, then probably not.

It is very hard to get into the field.
>>
>>248907307
ITP: It's 2004

Hotline Miami was made in fucking Game Maker and it's got a damn good following. And that's just one exampe.
>>
>>248907294

I just like having the honest opinions of dudes in my age interested in the fields.
>>
>>248906217
calculus isn't that important
but efficient algorithms are

computer science should really be called
"algorithm design"
>>
SAY STUFF LIKE
>MVC
>AGILE
>IBM RUP
>SCALEABLE
HR FUCKING LOVES BUZZ WORDS AND METHODOLOGIES
>>
File: 1399773171555.jpg (135KB, 367x347px) Image search: [Google]
1399773171555.jpg
135KB, 367x347px
>go to college to get a BS in biology so I could be a paleontologist
>I thought it would be like pokemon with little bits of physics, chemistry, and geology
>I ended up having to four years of math classes (mind you I started at calc I) , two years of comp sci classes,four years of chemistry classes, and a some 200 level biology classes
>eventually graduate with a piece of paper that says I'm ok to do stuff
>now have a fellowship at a grad school where I dig up fossils
>haven't used anything past gen chem and calc two in my thesis
>>
>>248907807
oh man hotline miami 2 is coming out... fuck im pumped
>>
>>248907475
>It is very hard to get into the field.

people say this about every field. It's really down to connects, how good your paper looks, and a bit of luck and patience.
>>
It doesn't matter what you major in; hell it doesn't even matter if you go to college. All you need to do to make a video game is to start doing it and don't stop. Let it take up all of your free time that you spend watching game grumps and pewdiepie on youtube.
>>
>>248908091
Videogames are cool like that. It's one of the only products/professions/artforms where literally anybody with access to a computer and enough patience can become incredible at. Don't need money, don't need connections, don't need thousands of dollars in equipment.
>>
>>248907294
CompSci a good program to go into. Get some experience and work on your own shit in your free time. Eventually, after you've done some real world stuff, you can start thinking about going into vidya.
>>
>>248907807
If you want to make a one-hit wonder, then you may as well put in as little effort as possible. If you want a JOB in game dev'ing, then you probably need a skill.
>>
>>248896648
> be college fag
> In CS
> have final group project for two classes
> requirements are a database, user interface and user input
> convince groups to make vidya
> make decent games
>A's on both
Feels good man
>>
>>248907194
What is your passion?

Don't just say "video games", thinks about something that you really enjoy. Start off just getting the basic functionality then think have fun with adding other things to your program.

The gravity simulator I made started off simple, then I added rapid fire, a player controlled ship, random generator, a tracker to see where the planet will go, etc. If you have fun with it, the tech guy at the interview will be able to see it.
>>
File: 1362380647953.jpg (160KB, 420x750px) Image search: [Google]
1362380647953.jpg
160KB, 420x750px
>be going to school for pre-law
>literally all I have to do is grab a bachelors with the highest GPA humanly possible
>get to take all kinds of fun classes
>>
>>248897980
Then get involved in 3D modeling or similar. Video game design is an instant resume trasher.
>>
>>248897980
A specialized designer artist course will still give teach you that better, on top of being valid for cinema/tv/marketing/website ui design.
>>
File: 1290139729638.png (491KB, 640x532px) Image search: [Google]
1290139729638.png
491KB, 640x532px
>>248908398
I did something similar.

>mfw when I did the user interface and database and my partner did path finding.
>Partner though I got the short-end of the stick.
>I was done in a few hours over the weekend while he struggled for a few days.
>>
>tfw only known skill is writing
>English majors are fucking worthless degrees
>want to write a scifi/fantasy universe based off of theological mythology
>scifi and fantasy are hard to publish and sell like shit, have to be lucky as fuck to hit it big

I don't even know if I should bother writing and instead just do some technical school stuff
>>
>>248908791
That's manager material.
>>
>>248908397
Most AAA titles are made using already established engines like Unreal, Unity, or Crytek.

Spelunky was made in Game maker, The Binding of Isaac was made in Flash.
>>
>>248897497
Explain? Source?
>>
>>248908945
>did work
>manager material
Nope.
>>
>>248901531
That's not really true.

Experience is going to trump a degree every single time, and if one guy has 10 years of experience and another guy has 10 years of experience AND a degree, the guy with a degree STILL isn't going to have an advantage. They're both going to get an interview and ultimately that will be the deciding factor.

Experience can be gotten easily and cheaply or freely in the video game development field, due to a multitude of tools available.

However, that is not a total argument against higher education, since it takes a lot of willpower and self direction to become a self made man, and the fact is that the majority of people aren't going to have that.
>>
>>248896648
>already know how to make websites
>know the basics of programation Q C
>doesnt know how to make levels or make 3d stuff

>collage i going to already won imagine cup some times. got second place on the other times and its on the finals again this year

im guess im in good hands. and since im giving my best at it . something im never did before, i guess im going to be some one someday
>>
>>248898021
Game design school teaches you how to be a videogame designer. A position that nobody will ever hire unless it's a known industry veteran / videogame star.

>how to make money in f2p
>how to design a game with tabletop rules comparisons
>how to balance difficulty
>generic talk about game mechanics
>they will tell you that copypasting existing things is the only way to make videogames, as new ideas will fail
>they will tell you to make iphone games or you will be a failure

Literally doesn't teach you anything.
>>
File: l-A-cute-lil-froggy.jpg (132KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
l-A-cute-lil-froggy.jpg
132KB, 580x386px
Give me a short list of shit I should know or do or have before I enter software development at a college or uni

please
>>
File: leonardo-da-vinci-self-portrait.jpg (20KB, 256x387px) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-da-vinci-self-portrait.jpg
20KB, 256x387px
For all you fucking NEETs out there, and people averse to extortionate costs of education: THERE IS ANOTHER WAY. THE WAY OF THE AUTODIDACT. Pic related? Much of what he knew he taught himself.

>What subject do you want to do?
Think on this long and hard. Consider: what makes you excited? What do you enjoy? What would grab your attention and keep you occupied?
>Go to TPB
And find torrents of e-books on that subject. Download as many as you can that you think are relevant.
>Check out Coursera
And see if there are any courses available on your chosen subject.
>Set a study schedule for yourself
And stick to it. You've got the materials, if you are NEET you have the time, you just need to read and absorb the knowledge at your fingertips.

Good luck and happy learning
>>
>>248908791
Lol yeah pathfinding is a bitch.We were supposed to have it our game but after a semester we have up and used preset paths for these spaceships that flew around.
>>
>>248908898
If you can't guarantee a profession writing, then do the next best thing. Find a profession that leaves you with the energy and time to write.
>>
>>248908898
Just do like George R.R. Martin and don't make anything notable until you're 60. Then you'll be a millionaire.
>>
>>248908898
Do what I'm doing and make a game out of it.

Hell our situations are so similar we could be partners.
>>
>>248907807
I really wish people would stop using gamemaker. Risk of Rain's online is complete garbage largely because of GM.
>>
>>248909126
>implying your average HR person even knows what autodidact means
it's all about demonstrable value and proficiency. if you can give a man slamming elevator pitch, you don't need to know a damn thing. most people can't self sell that hard, so degrees come into play.
>>
>>248908898
We need more people to save us from Bioware-tier writing in vidya
>>
>>248909342
Game Maker is fine for singleplayer games. I've never played Risk of Rain so I can't comment on that.
>>
File: dr. dre dancing.gif (2MB, 290x595px)
dr. dre dancing.gif
2MB, 290x595px
Got my degree in architecture and I've worked as a level designer.

So there's that route too.
>>
>>248909170

That's what I want to do

>>248909229

My dream is to write a interesting world for stories of all mediums to take place in. I'd be cool to bounce ideas off of someone likeminded.
>>
>>248909438
As someone who does hiring for software jobs, degrees are worthless. I stopped even looking for education on resumes some years ago.
>>
>>248903406
Speaking about funny things, companies hire mathematicians over designers for graphics, since teaching your new guy an engine is faster than teaching the other guy mathematics.

This has been happening for years too and is a known fact among the industry, I'm sorry you are wasting your time and money.
>>
>>248896648

I agree OP.

But not if you will do art. It's best to work on your portfolio, there is enough info to learn on the internet. Problem is the procrastination....like Im doing right now posting here instead of finishing my 3d model that is part of the portfolio I will send to many companies including ea, ubisoft, activision Hey cdpr is my first option but I'll take what I can get.
>>
>>248909438
Then once you feel comfortable on your subject, take a degree in it, if you absolutely must. If you've done the learning for yourself correctly, it will be easy.
>>
>>248909662
Well yeah, you're in a field where you can demonstrate by way of a portfolio.
>>
>Not going into animation
>Everybody fucking needs you
>>
File: fpsmapdesign.jpg (57KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
fpsmapdesign.jpg
57KB, 600x480px
>>248896648
>Video game design course
>>Teaches you how to make vidya
No it fucking doesn't. At least not according to the poor bastards that take it at my college. It teaches them how to map/level design (pic related); simplify things; monetization; accessibility; inclusiveness and etc.

It's got nothing to do with programming.
>>
>>248909640
>My dream is to write a interesting world for stories of all mediums to take place in

Nice, I've had similar ideas too, but lately I've been more character focused. Do you have Skype?
>>
>>248909123
Math is important.
There's a difference between software development and software security.
You will have to learn multiple languages.
Many of your teachers/profs have actual, real--world experience, listen to them.
Don't be afraid to take an online course.
Try to keep yourself at least one chapter ahead of the class.
If you're developing stuff on the side, implement what you know as you go along.
Practice makes perfect.
Learn conventions and how to write documentation. (not really important)

I can't think of anything else at the moment.
>>
>>248909880
>animators are the new programmers
>>
File: Shingeki no Colossus.jpg (1MB, 2116x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Shingeki no Colossus.jpg
1MB, 2116x1599px
>>248896648
Didn't they cut like half the planned bosses from that game?
>>
File: autodidactic.png (116KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
autodidactic.png
116KB, 1440x900px
>>248909126
skool is for foolz
>>
>>248909123
If you can, learn about subversion or (shit what the other one called, involves shelvesets and whatnot)
>>
>>248910345
>that colossus would be easier to kill than just one 10m class titan
>>
>>248909123
Every single position except for concept artist: mathematics.

You'll also get hired in almost every other industry/field and start out with one of the biggest salaries.
>>
>>248898794
go to bed, Charles.
>>
>>248910345

More than half. The original plan was something totally absurd like 60 bosses.
>>
>>248910481
>>248910221
Well I suck at math, I saw earlier in the thread that people who dont do math are fine as well
>>
>>248910370
r u makin mods 4 wachdogs?????
>>
File: 1298933656060.jpg (6KB, 98x173px) Image search: [Google]
1298933656060.jpg
6KB, 98x173px
>>248910370
>Assembly Language

God, there is nothing I hate more.
>>
>>248909881
so what you're saying is, a Game Design course doesn't teach you how to make games, but instead teaches you how to design games.

Gee, I wonder why that is.
>>
File: nuzlocke.webm (3MB, 960x720px)
nuzlocke.webm
3MB, 960x720px
>>248909580
Nigga, I'm an architecture student and I want to do that, but I've only learnt about regular stuff but not so much about how to design a -fun- level.

Sheit, I barely know how to design a dungeon, I feel that I'm lacking a link in my education. Any tips?
>>
>>248910582
You're going to have to take at least one advanced mathematics course (and pass) if you want to get a CS degree. It's unavoidable.
>>
File: 1335724983464.jpg (57KB, 586x438px) Image search: [Google]
1335724983464.jpg
57KB, 586x438px
>>248908898
>theological mythology
As opposed to atheist mythology? If you want to write, write. And self-publish.
>>
File: j.jpg (14KB, 657x424px) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
14KB, 657x424px
Why is /v/- Job Counseling so chill
>>
>>248905368

There's a sub-branch of math called set theory that helps you understand some of the basic data structures. You'll also have to understand algebra and matrices but they're not so bad and get easier the more you look at it. There's a shit load of math in graphical programming but realistically you'll only need that if you're building a game engine from scratch. Very few game dev's actually do that because there's so many pre-made engines out there. Building from scratch is generally a waste of time.
>>
>>248910769
compsci and soft-dev are the same?
>>
>>248910763
Best you can do is play games with good and bad level design.
>>
>>248910582
Then you'll end up like those indies who stick to 2D games and have a much lower chance of making any money.

I recommend learning maths.
>>
File: Pholux[1].jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Pholux[1].jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>248910345
kinda
http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_Colossi
>>
>>248910763
You need to know the mechanics of the game before you can make a "fun" level. You also have to take into account the playstyle.

Is it challenging? Is it a puzzle room? Is it a navigational maze? Is it a dungeon crawler run? Is it a platformer room? Is it a boss room? Does the character jump? Does the character move quickly? Does the character have any unique mechanics?

It's really context-specific.
>>
>>248910867
It has the same "pub" essence as feel threads, only we're actually trying to do something with our lives.
>>
>>248910763
Play videogame, note down things you'd like to improve or things you think not many games have done. What's fun and what's not.
>>
>>248908898
>english major
You can always become a games journalist, toplel.
>>
What's the easiest degree plan that consistently nets $60k+ a year?
>>
>>248910868
>>248910920
alright, how does someone who is abolutely trash at math get better?
>>
>>248911081
Selling weed to your friends friends
>>
>>248910119
>Do you have Skype?

not anymore, but if you're serious, send me an email at [email protected] and we'll go from there.
>>
File: lol.png (430KB, 1263x705px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
430KB, 1263x705px
>>248910370
Assembly seems so cool.

How hard is it to do graphics in ASM?
>>
>>248908898
Have you considered being someone who writes documentation for software and physical products?
>>
>>248910763
did he died?
>>
>>248911163
Follow a course/book on the internet.

Exercise until you can do the shit like muscle memory, without even thinking.

Then are you good at math.
>>
>not just making your own game to rake in dosh and funding your own projects and becoming an immediate director

Way to go.
>>
>>248911216
VERY easy
>>
File: 1402172545944.gif (892KB, 491x635px) Image search: [Google]
1402172545944.gif
892KB, 491x635px
>>248910763
Well how heavy is your program into learning 3D modeling software? Basically understanding Rhino 3D, the AutoDesk Software, and even the Adobe CS are key.

Then like, find a game that has some community made maps, play them, look at the 3D file, figure out why they work, why they dont, etc. Then try to make your own.

A lot of vidya companies are really interested in Arch majors, I know Ubisoft especially is.

Also I think one of the coolest level maps I've ever looked at in a 3D modeling program was Dark Souls. If every game could have level design that coherent, god damn.
>>
>>248910895
>>248911031

I'm doing that right now, I've been playing rpgs and taking notes while I do so, but those in particular are pretty straightforward. It's as if a fun level gets reduced to its narrative elements and space just plays along to that tune.

>>248910998
That's the most important point in my opinion, and the one that I keep forgetting. I end up liking a level more because of its story, while I should be focusing in the gameplay elements for it.
>>
>>248911019
Because despite what you and most others probably think, almost everyone here is smarter than average, but also lazier than average.

A lot of people here would work and do a good job, but don't want to go through the hassle of finding a job. Every night they go to bed and say "tomorrow I'm spending all day looking for a job". That next night at 2 AM after playing video games or dicking around on /v/ all day, they say "ok, tomorrow for SURE I am spending all day". Surprisingly though, if they already had a job, they would likely be quite loyal and harder working than most.

I'm ready for the massive shit I'm about to get for posting this.
>>
>>248911163
From a friend of mine who looks like your average street punk who constantly yaps about sports, he's real good at math and he said he'd do online problems in his schedule.for challenge
>>
>>248906540

Little bit of both.

I'd help to actually use some of those skills for something, even if its a shitty unity project or a source mod.
>>
>>248911556
>Dark Souls
It's all about the verticality. Developers are lazy and make flat shit.
>>
>>248896648
How the fugg did I manage to beat SOTC without knowing there was a parachute
>>
>>248896648
I stuided game design. You can choose focus or minors at the art school I went to. I am a professional modeler. I make models. It's nice.
I had my childhood friend write most of my code for me. I suck at programming.
>>
>>248911826
Yeah, that's exactly right. I mean, architects are used to making vertical spaces so, maybe that's why I was so enamored with the level design even though I didn't like the game so much.

I mean it's so smart how the levels stack and intertwine with one another.
>>
File: 1401255056206.jpg (43KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1401255056206.jpg
43KB, 500x333px
>>248910582
its all about motivation anon

i was one the smartest faggots in high school when it came to math
even better than my older brother who was shit in anything mathematics
funny thing is hes a goddamn dental surgeon now and im fucking unemployed

im so unmotivated to do shit
>>
>>248911701
Anon you're replying to, I believe you.
>>
>>248911924
You type like a VN protagonist.
>>
>>248911701
Jesus every. single. day.

sadfrog
>>
.>>248912223
>He got the bad ending.
>>
>>248896648
I probably should have switched to a CS major before I graduated.

>Be in Computer Engineering
>Start learning about circuits
>Think that it might be fun
>Suddenly, programming is shoved into the curriculum
>Have no idea what this shit is, starts us off at Advanced programming
>Nobody learns shit, everyone fails and professors have to curve the exams
>Networking classes are half-assed, barely learn half of the first part of the CCNA
>Internship not required, head of the department actively rejected Internship requests
>End up graduating barely knowing anything with no job experience

Its insanely difficult trying to find a job now, I may as well just go and get my Masters degree.
>>
>>248911559
Also try to major in Biology or Robotics or whatever courses you like besides being a codemonkey. These will complement on your game with reality to support your writing, though I doubt anyone would have the luxury and time or willpower to do this.

Look up Boichi or Osamu Tezuka. Hell, Fukumoto was a construction worker for 45 years before getting into writing comics.
>>
>>248911701
Why work when someone else is willing to support? So long as you provide a service, what's the matter? Live with parents, do chores, help fix the house up with like landscaping or fixing the stairs, live with your wifey while she works, you do all the cleaning and cooking and child raising, fuck working. I don't understand how you people could fucking bother with work. You're a slave, that's all you are.
>>
what if you want to be a games journalist or game designer (i.e concepts and U.I design)
>>
>>248912528
None of the things you listed are worth staying home for, nor replace a salary. You're abusing your family's income and are being a leech.
>>
>>248912491
If you can afford it, you always should go for your masters. That's where the real shit begins, and you actually choose what you want to do.
>>
>>248912641
Game journalist: english major (bonus points for women studies)

Concept designer: nobody will ever hire a new guy doing that, you need to make a successful game and then people will consider you.
>>
>>248912641
>game journalist
network and talk your way into a position

>game designer
I'm not sure how it work in the big companies, but unless you're also a programmer, artist, or animator, you'd just be an ideas guy.
>>
>>248911556
I mostly use autoCAD, Rhino and PS and sketchup for quick stuff. But sadly my school is garbage teaching those programs so I ended up learning most of them by myself, I barely know how to use 3dsm and do any kind of renders (when I have to do one, I make a render with shadows and throw 999 textures in PS over it, so pretty much edit it as a photo).

That sounds like a pretty good idea, I should try it!
And... wait, are the 3D maps files around? I thought you had to hack the game to take them out and that most people werent interested in doing so.

Oh fuck, now I'm interested in looking at the DaS files, I always loved the level design of it. Is there a site where I can see them?

>>248912503
I've taken subjects in a lot of departments already (arts, music, theatre, literature, engineering, construction, history, geography, philosophy, economy, etc), but that's because I'm a nerd.
>>
>>248912895
>I've taken subjects in a lot of departments already (arts, music, theatre, literature, engineering, construction, history, geography, philosophy, economy, etc), but that's because I'm a nerd.

Sounds like a standard General Ed gauntlet in my part of town
>>
>>248912687
If his parents don't mind why would you?
>>
>nobody mentioned sound design
>nobody talks about music major in this kind of thread

I bet Nierfag wouldn't be so self masturbatory if the game didn't have Keichi Okabe direct the soundtracks
>>
>>248912803
Thats the tricky part though.

I want to start off in an IT career, but a lot of these jobs require you to have 2+ years of experience for an entry-level position. IT Internships require you to be an enrolled student, and volunteer work obviously doesn't pay.

The last thing that I want to do is get a job in an unrelated field, but without any money, I can't go back to college.
>>
>>248913181
they mind
>>
what's a good career for someone introverted, shit at maths, good at english, good memory and decent problem solving ability
>>
>>248912803
>If you can afford it, you always should go for your masters

Fuck no! Never do a masters they're fucking useless. Especially in software courses. The longer you wait to start employment the worse off you're gonna be. Hell a good 70% of a regular bachelors degree is useless by the time you've finished. Software moves way too fast for uni courses to keep up so whatever you learn is outdated pretty quickly.

Also 2 years work experience is 100 times better than having a masters for finding a job.
>>
>Grow up drawing
>Want to draw comics as a kid
>End up as an illustrator in college
>Maybe I'll work for vidya games doing concept art or something
>Teach myself modeling and Zbrush and stuff for vidya
>Fail miserably
>Too old to find my way into entry level
>Gotta find a job doing some corporate graphic design or something while I contemplate killing myself.
>>
>>248912687
>worth staying home for
Where can I see the rules stating what makes you a leech and what doesn't? Is there some sort of mountain where the tenants are burned into with brimstone and fire? Worth and value are subjective just as morality. You are just a production of your society, you think the way you do because of your society. You were raised to believe in being a good working drone. As for the whole "leech of family" thing it's bullshit. You brought the little shit into existence, you take care of the fucking thing till its death. No one asks to be born, this is part of why I support antinatalism.
>>
>>248913114
Oh, right, I forget that my country works differently with their careers.
When you start a career, you have a mandatory curriculum that barely branches in other areas. Ex: engineering has only engineering and maths subjects, but you get a free subject every two semesters.
>>
>>248896648
Then should I learn software development in college as a first timer or should I try to learn how to program some shit before going to college?
>>
>>248913189
what kind of ability do you have to have to do a music degree? I am good at guitar and bass but my music theory is shit.
>>
>>248913181
First off, it's not about not minding, but he's asking "why don't you do it?". It's because your parents consistently lose money by doing this. This is regardless of them wanting you home and loving you.

Secondly, that is a horrible long-term idea. When your parents die, you'll be a 40-50 year old with no job experience, which translates into living on the side of the street for the rest of your life because nobody will hire you even to pick up the garbage.
>>
>>248913240
You do know there's more in life than just math and english right
>>
Are business/economic degrees viable in this day and age?
>>
>want to do concept art and shit
>only option I can think of is illustration
Am I making the correct choice?
>>
File: FREEMAN.gif (80KB, 150x156px) Image search: [Google]
FREEMAN.gif
80KB, 150x156px
I know it's the shadow of Colossus theme song, but can someone tell me specifically what songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R1g9zZfU0#t=191

These are absolutely beautiful
>>
>>248913491
Learning to code is like learning the alphabet. Software development is like writing a novel.

You should practice coding.
>>
>>248913436
Whole heartedly disagree. If you're in it for the money, depending on who you're working under for your masters and where you are, you can get some pretty fucking amazing gigs. Shovelling shit for 2 years isn't guaranteed to get you something worth more, and nothing says you can't work in the mean time doing a job within your field.
>>
You'll never take my advice, but you're just getting fucked today going to college as you'll not learn any more than you would studying outside of college and employers know a college education isn't an indicator of anything anymore. It's turned into a huge scam and the reason it is and is getting worse is that you let it by being determined that you must have a college education (or worse, the "college experience") no matter what.
>>
>>248901038

I'm a developer at a decent company and I write c# asp.net apps.

I barely tried to get this job, they're paying me 57k a year with decent benefits and I don't do shit half the time anyways. Yeah, my websites aren't exactly impressive, but people in my company use it, and I have to fix their shit all the time.

Overall, not a bad career choice.
>>
>>248913778
I don't know about business degrees. Probably if you have some sort of foot in the door of an industry already. If you major in economics prepare for the wonderful world of academia.
>>
>>248897109

POOR GUY! WHY DID YOU MADE THIS FOR HIM OP? WHY?!
>>
>>248913942

Programming isn't some ancient knowledge. People who wrote these languages used common sense, so anyone with common sense could easily pick it up. Learning the basics of programming is like learning a new form of math. It takes a bit of practice, but it's nothing like learning a new language.
>>
>>248913470
>Where can I see the rules stating what makes you a leech and what doesn't?
Would anyone want to hire a person that does what you do? The answer is no, because they'd be losing money compared to the "job" you do.

Pretty easy way to determine when someone is a leech.

>As for the whole "leech of family" thing it's bullshit. You brought the little shit into existence, you take care of the fucking thing till its death. No one asks to be born, this is part of why I support antinatalism.
Not only delusional, but edgy to boot. You never moved on from your teenager phase, that's probably because you are a leech.
>>
>>248901170
>hundreds of thousands
Did you go to medical school? also
>not getting gud and getting scholarships
>>
>>248913857
The thing you gotta understand is that the video game industry has no paying jobs to offer, with less every year.

You won't get a job, ever. Unless you have connections out the ass, a portfolio that might as well be professional, and you don't mind not getting paid while you work for no-name companies so you can have shipped titles on your resume before finding a real job, don't expect to land anything.

Remember, there's a kid out there right now who has a better portfolio than you, and he's 15 years old. He'll get a job. You won't.
>>
>>248914083
>Programming isn't some ancient knowledge.
Neither is language.

From the perspective of a computational linguist, they are not dissimilar. The strength of the analogy isn't in the specifics, however - more in the relationship between the two.
>>
>no interest in any career field
>only like dogs
>walking dogs
>brushing dogs
>spending time with dogs
>want to just walk with dogs for the rest of my life

What degree should I do? at this point I just want to be successful to rub it in my fathers face. I'm bad with maths so what other options do i have to make a shit ton of money?
>>
>>248913491

I say do it before college. You'll get a really good feel for it and you'll be able to decide if it's what you want to do for the rest of your life. Better knowing now than 3 years into your course.
>>
>>248913971
I'm one of the autists. I'm making 125k/yr and I worked from home most of the last few years. I realize a lot of the work I push on those below me is pretty awful stuff, especially software testing and integration, and we're able to hire them at progressively lower salaries as there's a flood of them at the college level at the moment. I'd not recommend the field to anyone other than an autist right now.
>>
>>248913778
If the absolute only thing you care about is reliable money, do an accounting course. You'll always find work doing book keeping shit, but be prepared to be bored as all fuck.
>>
>>248896648
I came to this realization years ago.

I now have a degree in computer science and there's job opportunity everywhere.

People respect you when you can tell them you know 5+ languages, maintain hardware and can manage a database.
>>
>>248913857
You'd need to be excessively amazing at illustration. Like nation-wide professional kind of amazing.

Like anything-you-paint-will-make-people-say-wow-it's-amazing type of amazing.
>>
>>248900137
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>248913578
Look up SoundTeMP, they make soundtrack for Ragnarok Online and the guys just mix and mash a lot of different music while being real good at it. You don't need theory for fancy shit but I think they'll ask you to read notes from their own sheet and if you can't read that then it's no good.

I start with any tracker and moved up to Midi to remixes. Sometimes they'd just hire pop stars to sing for their video game.
>>
How hard is it to get like an artistic director job in vidya?
>>
>>248914354
>degree
Why not just work at a pet store, or breed dogs, or something? Hell, there are a million dog-wash places all around. Why do you need college?
>>
File: 134178982123.jpg (10KB, 200x174px) Image search: [Google]
134178982123.jpg
10KB, 200x174px
>>248896648
>Jack of all trades, master of none
>>
>>248914612
Shit fucking hard if you're not like the top guys on CA.org. Let's not even talk about household names like Shinkawa or Amano.
>>
>>248897109
OP was too late.

DAMMIT JUST DAMMIT.
>>
What do I do if I want to make music/sound effects for vidya/tv/movies/arcades/ whatever the fuck.
>>
>>248914612
Be a woman and suck a programmer's cock

Then you'll get hire and become an artistic director.
>>
>Pikol1991
This guy is 22 years old and acts like a child.
>>
>>248913964

So many people online say this sort of thing, and what I don't understand is what exactly they mean.

I mean, right off the bat, college is not for everyone. You have a point that there is the idea that everyone must go, and that not doing so makes one a loser. This is untrue as there are jobs and such that one can do without college. Though getting certifications or doing a trade program is still a good idea.

What I also don't get is how people talk about debt. I got lucky and got a lot of scholarships to pay for my stuff, so no debt. Most of my friends either worked crappyish jobs, or went to a community college first, so they have 5-15K of debt. Heck, the person I know with the most debt has 30K, which is quite the amount, but not crazy numbers like some people talk about here.

There's also the balance of choosing career/school paths that make sense financially, so maybe that also plays into it.
>>
>>248914612
Imagine you're playing musical chairs.

There's one chair, that's the job, and thousands of people fighting for it.

And you, along with another few thousands of people aren't even in the same building.

That's how likely you are to get anywhere near a job like an art director in vidya.
>>
>>248914157
Actually, I'm staying with my parents while being a student and am young. I plan to move out because I want to live off grid someday and am just screwing around at the moment. And actually, a job I just helped them with would have cost 10 grand to do (landscaping). I do chores, take care of the pet, and help my almost disabled parent (spinal injury, almost died). I hold my keep, I don't need some brainwashed mongoloid on 4chan to validate me. If anything, you're the delusional one. You're so fixed and convinced that there's one way of living, being the good little man society wants you to be. I bet you live in the fear.
>>
>>248914354
start your own dog day care or some shit.
>>
>>248914612
Work as an artist for 10 to 30 years and hope that some of the games you work at become cults or best selling products, then you start having a slim chance of being an art director.
>>
>>248914594
do you even need to go to college to do music shit then?
>>
>no talent, can't do anything right
>lazy since kid
I don't want to kill myself because I enjoy my lazy life, what should I do?
>>
>>248914865
I went to college for two years, because I had to since it's just what you do.

Had depression, it got the better of me, I dropped out. And I've been over $100k in debt ever since.

Thanks, private college industry.
>>
>>248914354

Dude, like all the other people have said, start a pet service/store. You might need to get a business license or some other kind of certification, but you don't need to go to school for this.
>>
I dunno man, speaking as a man who is really good at programming but dull as a rock, I can see the value in a team of monkeys consistently pitching ideas and words and concepts at you
>>
>>248914865
Because most people don't walk out of college into a job.
>>
>>248914681
Because then my dad will call me a failure even more and tell me im working a womans job, anon
>>
>>248914315

I've taken a programming languages class, we talked about how programming languages are different than real languages

They're extremely dumbed down languages. Even your most dynamic programming languages only have a few grammar rules. A programming language "dictionary" only consists of maybe at most 50 words. Context is what takes the most learning. Even then, you don't need to know all the context rules to get by, and once you understand some of the context, the rest of the context starts to make sense.

Learning your first programming language takes some practice, any nonretard could do it in a few weeks though. Once you know that language, you pretty much know them all (Unless you learned LISP or something crazy like that)

It takes months of work to go from Spanish to Portuguese. It takes minutes to go from C to perl
>>
>>248915054
Unless you want to get into the orchestral side of things, no. Either way, good luck finding work.
>>
File: 1398404828532.jpg (40KB, 200x175px) Image search: [Google]
1398404828532.jpg
40KB, 200x175px
>>248908398
>high school sophomore
>software engineering
>beginning of the year
>teacher makes the class split up into groups
>full-year project worth 80% of final grade
>make a vidya
>get stuck with people who don't know how to code/math
>in a low math phase
>mfw making a game entirely by myself without knowing shit about trig

Still got a 100 though
>>
>>248915054
Ask the animators, they're pretty much in the same vein
>>
File: 1392898959223.png (92KB, 433x551px) Image search: [Google]
1392898959223.png
92KB, 433x551px
How fucked is someone like me who is studying/majoring in graphic design?
>>
>>248904675
>>248905037
lots of bitter engineering dropouts itt
>>
>>248915092

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. I was between a private and public school, and the reason I went with public is because the financial aid package was better, and I was a bit scared of that happening to me.

>>248915120

That's a fair point. I go to a big research school, so I will have 2+ years of lab experience when I get out because I've been doing jobs/internships in labs. Not everyone will have the same opportunity, and hell, my experience is no guarantee. So yeah, I guess graduating with any debt and lower job prospects would be very scary and depressing.
>>
>>248914416

I'm not an autist. Yeah, you make double my salary, but you probably do 5x the work I do. I made over $200 today, and I literally did nothing, and no one cared. As long as quality work gets done on time where I work, no one gives a shit what you do the rest of the time. I do quality work, so I'll probably get a raise next year too (They do annual raises).

Honestly, if you want to slack off, find a laid back company with tons of software developers. It's the easiest way to coast through life.
>>
>>248914865
It's a bit hypocritical of me since thinking back I'd have not listened to myself today, but here's the thing you should be asking yourself: what are you going to learn in ~6-8 years of college and grad school that you weren't able to learn on your own? It used to be that college gave you access to talented academics and you'd learn from them what you couldn't elsewhere, but we're talking about post-2000 computer science where fucking everything is done online and the best people aren't even in academia. What are you getting out of college?

Re debt, getting into a school with a good reputation without a huge scholarship is going to burn a lot of money. MIT/CMU/etc. aren't cheap and I'd not even bother with the others as no one cares - you might as well attend community college.
>>
>>248915350
what do you mean?
>>
>>248915361
Graphic design is a very broad term anon, what do you do? Animation? Milk box nutrition facts? Movie banners?
>>
>>248915361
>wasting your money on a degree in the arts
>graphic design
On;y 45% of jobs in the arts actually require a degree.

Become an actual artist while you're at it.
>>
>>248915361
Depends what you think you'll do.

Most likely you'll end up doing boring rote work designing labels for some big factory, or catalogs or some shit.

If you're lucky you'll get shacked up with a printing studio who will pay you to do their boring shit.

If you expect a real job, don't. Freelancing is the worst thing ever and no one will pay you to be creative unless you're the best in your field.
>>
>>248897582
>I wanna do art for video games
>hurr i'll take an overpriced video game design course

If you must take a course, take an art course, not a video games course. This goes for anything that can be used in making video games. Specialize in some aspect of it with an actually good course and apply your knowledge to work on a video game instead of wasting time.
>>
File: T-Idle8.gif (8KB, 176x192px) Image search: [Google]
T-Idle8.gif
8KB, 176x192px
What is the chillest job in existence?
>>
>>248897309
>I do software development too OP, it's pretty beta

ftfy
>>
but i actually want to know how to make vidya and create the ideas for the games, so i want to go for game design
>>
>>248915789
Anesthesiologist.

Seriously. Must be such a chill fucking life.
>>
What about QA? studying software development and i have like 1 year and six months of experience.
do you think i have any chances in the vidya industry?
>>
>>248915645
Nothing really since I'm still studying under the major, I may pick an internship in the fall.
My college makes us take mainly 2D and 3D Design courses (drawing, painting, sculpture, and the like)
>>
>>248913778
I just graduated with a degree in economics last week. I've got a job offer in Northern Canada to work in communal economic management. Starting is 100k. Only downside is I have to live in fucking northern Canada.
>>
>>248915610

For me specifically, having access to labs and people who know lab processes makes uni worth it.

With that said, I do agree that in today's world, so many independent people are making names for themselves and getting hired by companies. Not to mention those who are going the independent route and cutting out the middleman.

Like I said, I think for me specifically the "college route" is good, but more people need to consider what you said and ask themselves if they can do what they want without needing to go that route. Or at least CC or something less bank breaking.
>>
File: 1361979644281.jpg (46KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1361979644281.jpg
46KB, 300x300px
>>248914594
>SoundTEMP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwlLHP6j7U8&feature=related
>>
>>248897839
lel fagit, my friend is studying computer engineering or something like that, and they already teached him how to make vidya.
>>
>>248915990
>Watching people nod out and fall asleep
Man and ill get paid boat-loads just to do it.
>>
>TFW just want to draw pictures and stuff for vidya
>Don't really care if I get paid or anything, I don't really need it since I'm probably gonna kill myself eventually
>Never going to be able to do it, so I'll just end up having done absolutely nothing with my life.

I guess I can spend the time figuring out how to disappear without anyone realizing it.
>>
>>248909117
>they will tell you that copypasting existing things is the only way to make ideas, as new ideas will fail
Is this a cause or effect of the shit in the industry right now?
>>
>>248915635
That if you don't have overwhelming advantage over everything you do then you can't even hope to land for a job.

I'm actually just an animator so asking me won't help you much but most of the time I have to work with music students for pretty much half of the production. They're very integrative.
>>
>>248915990

I think this is true unless you accidental kill someone, then its a nightmare.

But I think the training makes it so that almost never happens.
>>
>>248915990
>Anesthesiologist
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/anesthesiologist-sexted-procedures-officials-article-1.1824394

I think they have some spare time
>>
>>248915990
My Uncle does that. He also serves for the Marines as a nurse. His dual schedule and two children mean constant work unless he's asleep. Dem hours. But dat pay. His wife is also a medical doctor, but I don't know the detes.
>>
>>248915789
I'm a baker, and it's pretty goddamn chill. I used to just work in restaurant kitchens. I didn't mind it, but with everybody else freaking out all the time, it's not exactly relaxed.

Baking, fucking great. Nobody else is around, no surprises, you get to make fucking sweet pastries and shit, good pay, and loads of time for vidya.

It's pretty alright man.
>>
>>248916232

Go to agdg on /vg/, there's tons of people who need artists. If you're good, someone will put you in their game
>>
File: ]sad.gif (433KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
]sad.gif
433KB, 500x275px
>like drawing
>convince myself it's fucking useless and a pointless waste of time
>convince myself Engineering (Mechanical/Chemical/Electrical) is a better career option, which it pretty much is
>I'm bored as fuck and have very low inspiration/desire

>just want to do concept or 3d art for vidya

Why did I have to be a manchild?
>>
>>248915858
Software development: no dress code, drink beer on the job, make offensive jokes, everyone's your peer
Office job: mandatory symbolic leash, sensitivity training, everyone seems to be your boss

Yeah, software's pretty beta.
>>
If you want to get into videogames, you're more likely to get it by taking a quality course from a reputable school that teaches (order of how few applicants in each field) lighting, rigging, topology, 3d modelling, animation, and/or texturing.

Decent artists are harder to find than decent programmers and so studios are always looking for them. If you had a good portfolio of skills, if you didn't get hired, you can go and work for movie studios instead.

But seriously if you can light or rig worth half a shit you're as good as in. Everyone hates rigging and NOBODY ever goes into lightning, so they're always scraping for those.
>>
>>248916480
>Engineering
>Career

I have a friend who graduated with good marks in chemical engineering.

Three years later he's working in a soup factory doing not a lot.

Fuck job options. Do what you want to do.
>>
Got my BS in CS with a concentration in gaming. I covered all of that shit at my uni. Got a job at NASA out of college creating simulation software, and applied for an entry level position at Valve on a whim, and got it. I don't get to make vidya, but I get to codemonkey. Only upside is met gaben once. Total assfag. Fuck my job.
>>
File: 1402366838296.gif (210KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
1402366838296.gif
210KB, 300x170px
Guys, how fucked are you if you are in an applied math course in high school leading to a fucking ruin but you are averaging 90's in programming

hit me. what are my options.
>>
>>248916442
Nah, son, that place is a cesspit of "I have an idea for a thing but I'll just forget about it in a month when I realize I don't know shit."

I can model(ish. My texturing is remedial and I can't animate), I can draw, I can sculpt. But there's literally no one in that hell hole that can program shit, and if they can they're already doing something, and it's probably crap.
>>
>>248916480
Just do what you want mate. I'm getting back into vidya development after a 2 year break, I remember sometimes crying hearing other people share their sucess and share their work. I dont want to be that guy who "could have". I'm not expecting to be some big guy like Kojima, but I do want to game a damn good game for people to enjoy.
>>
File: commits sudoku.jpg (923KB, 819x1157px) Image search: [Google]
commits sudoku.jpg
923KB, 819x1157px
>>248916378
Having a bakery is my dream
But I suck at any kind of cooking.
>>
>>248916653
Bullshit, don't listen to this idiot.

If you get a degree that is intended to make money, then keep searching for a job and eventually you'll find one.

Going to college to do "what you want to do" defeats the entire purpose of going to school. You go to school to learn how to do things you couldn't possibly do on your own - not continue to educate yourself about your most useful hobby.
>>
>>248915054
Well

Most of my music student friends just sorta make music in their spare times and do remixes or such, the thing they'll need you for is knowing how to manipulate sound to their liking so just build a small fanbase with a social network and keep dumping your work on there. Someone will definitely find you for work.
>>
>>248916480
Concept artists get paid bank. Work on it in your spare time. Draw commissions to make extra cash so it doesn't feel like wasted effort. Get to the point you can draw finished pieces really fast. Submit your work to every studio you can find.

Also aim for a lower pay bracket than the job might necessarily be worth. You'll get more than a few looks as an additional hire if you're willing to work for cheaper than the well-established artists they already have. More concepts=a wider art asset pipeline.
>>
File: 1401588464366.png (10KB, 321x339px) Image search: [Google]
1401588464366.png
10KB, 321x339px
>all my friends go in art, dancing, acting and other weird shit
>they all graduate to no jobs as everyone could have guessed
>decide to go in compsci
>150+ students who only went there because they know how to use facebook and MS word
>fast-forward 2 years
>10 students from the original bunch remaining in compsci including me
>literally spend 60+ hours on every single fucking project researching how shit works, no free time

Only 1 year left and I'm free, I have no idea how people find this shit easy. My worst project was building a fucking Minecraft clone in C++ with OpenGL 2.1 libraries with randomly generated worlds, store everything in a DB, destruction, a GUI and fucking multiplayer. Both my partners dropped the class so I had to research everything myself and I easily put in 250 hours into it. Also, my piece of shit prebuilt home computer has an AMD HD 7300m which isn't compatible with that version of OpenGL, that was fun.

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed every minute of it but I can't stop now, hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I learnt a shit load of stuff though, that's something.
>>
>>248916802

>sucks at cooking

Good think you want to be a baker, right?

This isn't meant to be sarcastic, go for it man!
>>
>>248916571
what's rigging? is lighting using 3d modelling programs? i wonder if a degree like this is offered in my home country of England.
>>
>>248916653
Is this some US thing where engineers do not get jobs? In Canada right now, engineers get jobs fucking left and right. Seriously, my cities university has gotten so many applicants that the entry average was an 88 (high school courses) this year. A few years back it was like 81.
>>
how does one open their own bar?

current status: unemployed NEET
>>
>>248916802
I'm pretty good, and the first thing people say is "oh anon I'm terrible at cooking lol". Then I ask them how much time they've spent at it and it's always very little.

The dirty secret with cooking is, it's mostly timing and logistics. And you know? Neither of those really matter for domestic cooking, only commercial. Nobody knows that shit beforehand anyway, you only learn it through doing it.

Cooking ain't shit. Baking even less so. If you can mix flour and milk in a bowl, you're 90 percent of the way there.
>>
>>248913460
Well fuck. Thanks for warning a brutha. Was considering doing this, not any more. I got enough suicidal issues as it is.
>>
>>248910763
If you get a job designing levels in a videogame from a background in architecture the chances are you'd be tasked with making the environment look pretty and make physical sense (as make it look like it obeys the laws of physics), not making actual level layouts and obstacles.
>>
>>248915054

I have one friend who went to school for music and is in the uni symphony and teaches high school kids music.

Another friend is going to school for music and english, wants to compose and write. He's pretty good.

Last dude is doing economics and does music on the side. He's doing well for himself and is becoming a relatively known name here in the community. He's had to do a lot of networking and he's been making stuff since 2008, it wasn't until about 2012 that he's been getting attention.

So, there's some anecdotal information.
>>
>>248916791
See, that's what I dreamed of growing up, I just wanted to use art, the one thing I was sorta-kinda-ok at to make people happy.

But there's just no way to do it. It's just not a thing.
>>
>>248916510

Seriously this. The director of my software development group (Boss of like 20 people), and all he does is say "fuck you" really loudly to all the business people. Plus I haven't met a single software development manager I haven't liked. They gave us a keg last Christmas too.

I think it's because the higher ups in software companies started as party hard software developers too. And software development groups tend to work more as a team than a sales team
>>
>>248915191
Correct. This is not dissimilar to spoken languages of the same morphosyntactical alignments. However, in the process of learning the initial language you are learning the idiosyncrasies of that group of languages, adopting or adapting to new rules of the language becomes easier as you are now familiar with a particular parts of that particular set of languages that you could say is flagged for being more predisposed to be different and having a greater likelihood of these differences being handled in by a set of alternative, yet regular, rulesets. All contemporary programming and scripting languages could be said to share the same morphosyntactic alignment, meaning they handle different parts of expressions in similar fashions. You do run into things like Basque which can be likened to your example of LISP. LISP is applicative whereas C is procedural.

Look you know what. Fuck you. I'm not going to make this a lecture. Just google morphosyntactic alignment and apply that to your knowledge of the declarative vs imperative, and applicative vs procedural programming paradigm. It's pretty interesting stuff.
>>
Where do you need t learn to do this? Is it just programming or is there more to it?
>>
File: great job.png (2KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
great job.png
2KB, 409x409px
>>248910925
Those are just the ones that were made and not used (either for technical or time reasons) they actually had planned to use way more but they were not actually implemented, those ones had some kind of implementation.
>>
>>248917210
Well, maybe I can make a little cafe someday, something with a chill atmosphere.
I doubt I'll make any money with it, but as long as I can live through it, it'll do.
>>
>>248917007
When you make a 3D model, you have to create a "skeleton" for it that you use to animate it. You animate it by moving the "bones" around and setting the frames of the animation.

It's not a fun process, it's tedious and boring and everyone hates it.
>>
>>248913857
See those trash browser MMOs?
Do the arts make you go "woa I gotta play this game" or "woa I wanna become like whatever nameless smuck that did art for this chinese mmo no.324245"?

If the answer is no then yea just learn programming along side and make your own game in your freetime.
>>
>>248916743
Just do the math. A degree in CS or Software Engineering is worth it.
>>
>>248916791
>I'm not expecting to be some big guy like Kojima, but I do want to game a damn good game for people to enjoy.
my exact feelings man,just want to make at least one good videogame that people enjoy before i kick the bucket.
>>
>>248917014
>tfw making 140K as an ME in the albertan oil sands

Its fucking crazy up here. I work 10/4, get free food and housing/gym, and get to play vidya 4 days straight after my 10 days of work. Not to mention that what I make is fucking nothing. There are some welders and heavy equipment operators who are making 200K+ here, despite having way less schooling than me.
>>
>mfw actually know how to get a job
>mfw consistently approached by other companies
>mfw getting my MBA now and the program is getting BTFO by me
>mfw have 3 jobs waiting for me already, 2 of them are 6 figures with $20k+ bonuses for signing up

Being a millenial must be absolute shit. The complete lack of basic work concepts is really sad.

You want to know how to succeed? Network, ingratiate, and work your ass off. Want to know how to get a job? Don't look like shit at the interview, know the job and company before you apply, and be grateful for a low paying bottom of the ladder position. Nobody is going to hire a 20 something with no or <5 years experience for anything beyond entry level.

You can rise to the top ranks. You can't start there. Just drop that shit now. It takes a decade or more, as it should.
>>
>>248917765
The problem is, and I say this with all due respect, your ideas are going to be absolute dogshit.
>>
>>248917210
how do you get a job baking? need a qualification for that shit?
>>
>>248916743
They check your math if you want to go in CS.
>>
>>248916743
Just don't go into physics or chemistry.
>>
File: scout feels.jpg (23KB, 438x273px) Image search: [Google]
scout feels.jpg
23KB, 438x273px
>>248913964

This. The internet has made college all but obsolete. Before the late 90's, knowledge was at a premium. There were many pieces of information that could only be obtained by reading massive textbooks in a university library. Nowadays, you can get that information for free in the fraction of the time by browsing the web. I contend that the only purposes of college today are to network and learn extremely detailed technical skills like medicine.

You should be setting yourself up for life and a job in high school. The problem is that people are so focused on learning esoteric AP calculus theories for something they MIGHT use in college vs. practical skills that will aid you in early adulthood. Things like how to cook food on a limited budget and how to negotiate with others.

People have their priorities all fucked up because they're too afraid of telling people they didn't go to college. And then you have the people who move the goalposts by acting like living with one's family is worse than death. Meanwhile, a large portion of young adults in America and Europe live with their families while working to save money, but the egomaniacs (who probably treat their families like shit) shout "You loser!"

>>248917002
>Only 1 year left and I'm free,

This kind of attitude will lead to a complete burn-out after college. I've seen it happen time and time again. Really gifted people have a tendency to drain themselves in high school or college and then become NEETs, leaving no emotional energy for young adulthood.
>>
>tfw just completed most of my generals and need to decide where to go

Help /v/
I have no idea what I want to do, something with computers, business, maybe even fucking software development, but what's the outlook like?
>>
>>248916510
Depends on the place. Software development can just as easily be what you described in the "office job" and an office job can be like your place. My experience, it's way more common to look closer to a standard "office job".
>>
>>248917805

Electricians working for Suncor make up to 250,000/year.

Canada is great for jobs.
>>
>>248917805
what sort of equipment are they operating? i always wondered how to get into that
>>
>>248917861
>Nobody is going to hire a 20 something with no or <5 years experience for anything beyond entry level.

No shit, they can just hire a 30-something with 10 years of experience for that entry level position.
>>
>>248917590
So long as you do coffee that isn't immediately disgusting, you'll make ends meet.

Cafe life can be tough. Last place I worked for, the couple that owned it hadn't had a day off at all for about six months; workin erry day. But it was a cool place, and they were cool people.

Running a cafe is a very achievable goal man. So long as you lay out a proper business plan - and most importantly, look at what other cafes in the area are doing - you'll be fine.
>>
How does this sound /v/?

Term 1 Contact hours
VGC101 Digital Drawing 1 36
VGC102 Game Modeling 1 36
VGC103 Principles of Art & Design 36
VGC104 Scripting for Games 36
VGC105 Programming Logic 36
VGC106 Game Platforms 1 36
VGC107 History of Video Games 36
VGC108 Introduction to Video Game Industry 36
Term 2 Contact hours
VGP121 Game Testing & Debugging 36
VGP122 Programming Fundamentals 1 72
VGP123 Cross-Platform Programming 1 72
VGP124 Mathematics for Game Programmers 1 36
VGC121 Game Design 1 36
VGC122 Game Production and Pipeline 36
Term 3 Contact hours
VGP141 Programming Fundamentals 2 72
VGP142 Cross-Platform Programming 2 36
VGP143 Mathematics for Game Programmers 2 36
VGP144 Physics for Game Programmers 1 36
VGP145 Game Frameworks 1 36
VGC141 Game Design 2 36
VGC142 Game Business 36
Term 4 Contact hours
VGP201 Graphics Programming 1 36
VGP202 Mobile Game Development 1 36
VGP203 Physics for Game Programmers 2 36
VGP204 Game Frameworks 2 72
VGC201 Game Design 3 36
VGC202 Game Audio 1 36
VGC203 Game Portfolio 1 36
Term 5 Contact hours
VGP221 Graphics Programming 2 36
VGP222 Mobile Game Developent 2 36
VGP223 Physics for Game Programmers 3 36
VGP224 Game Frameworks 3 36
VGP225 Al Game Programming 36
VGC221 Game Design 4 36
VGC222 Game Audio 2 36
VGC223 Game Portfolio 2 36
Term 6 Contact hours
VGC241 Team Production Project 252
VGC242 Game Portfolio 3 36

Does this look good to you? Would you take this course?
>>
>>248917861
Do you need good math to get an MBA?
>>
>>248917880
real nice of you pal,thanks.
>>
>>248917007
Here's a cube, here's a bone, now try to fit the bone in the cube and simulate a spine without turning it into a jumbled mess of polygons. Do that for the rest of the model and maybe you can make your character yawn
>>
>actually get let into really really good (and expensive school) that has 90-100% hired-out-of-school rates for vidya art and design
>get halfway through the year doing alright despite the fact it's a ton of work
>basically have no friends because I keep to myself and go home to do homework because I'm self conscious of more talented classmates seeing it
>fuck up my arm, basically paralyzed for a week with muscular pain
>come back
>so far behind
>everyone's using no software
>struggling to catch up
>rushing home every day just to do homework on my home PC as much as possible
>stressed out to all fuck because the work I finish is all shitty rush jobs and looks like crap
>suddenly start sleeping 16 hours a day, in the middle of class, on the train, face on a desk, sitting up, doesn't matter
>dean comes in to talk to me and finds me asleep, can't wake me up
>predictably medical professionals are called
>wind up having to go all the way back across the country and move in with parents again
>takes almost two years before I finally managed to get seen by a specialist on my own wallet because my parents thought I was faking it and demanded rent
>get diagnosed bipolar and narcoleptic
>a few months of drugs and shit is way better
>ask the original school about how I can go back
>they're super bro about it and basically say "well we already have half your tuition so we'll give you the "further education" half price discount so it'll be mostly the same"
>feel super happy and try to start practicing for coursework
>every time I open up zbrush and touch my tablet I am overwhelmed with paralyzing fear that I'll go back only to fail
>time is swiftly passing before I have to go back and I can't stare at a blank 3d grid for more than ten seconds without feeling sick

I did it and I regret it OP.
>>
File: 1398533942807.jpg (22KB, 464x351px) Image search: [Google]
1398533942807.jpg
22KB, 464x351px
What is a good job for someone that wants to interact as little as possible with other people?codemonkey?
>>
>>248917125
Hotel management
Better work as janitor or bell boy chum
>>
>>248917884
Usually you need something, yeah. I don't know how it works in other countries, I'm in Aus, but here at least you can just start an apprenticeship with no prior experience or anything. Shit pay for the first few years, but you get a qualification. I already had a few cooking certificates, so it was a bit easier, but there's loads of options.
>>
>>248916283
You must Realy suck at your job if you kill someone by watching then sleep
>>
>>248918112
is opening a business in this day and age even viable?
>>
>>248917754
just checked it out and holy hit a numb skull like me can get in! I need to ask you guys for more advice more often.
>>248917936
oh shit how much? I only care enough to feel bad after making garbage marks to fee bad and never improve
>>
>>248918069
Honestly, this is why you should just fucking attempt to be self-employed. If you fail you'll at least come out of it with a greater perspective of how businesses actually operate and it'll distinguish you from the next guy in line trying to be a wage slave.
>>
>>248918153
for free? sure
>>
>>248918112
You have a point there, I think I just misinterpreted that a cafe can be tougher than other businesses.

If I ever do it, I should study it correctly. Thanks m8y
>>
>>248909342
Wow i didnt know risk of rain was made in GM. Impressive.
>>
>>248917805
My friend who moved to Fort Mc. Murray said that fast food workers make like 20 an hour up there. Its so fucking crazy that there's like a meth epidemic up there because of all the young guys with way to much money to blow.
>>
>>248917262
Coming from me that guy just sounds like he didn't put enough time learning how to model or zbrush for that matters, but yea it's grunts work
>>
How are people NEET?
It's so easy getting a minimum wage job in the very least it's not even funny
>>
is there any job that lets you chill outdoors with some animals that ISN'T farming?
>>
>>248918215
>Spending hours and hours painting skin weights just so a simple animation doesn't destroy the model

Why can't I just spend my life working in Zbrush? Why do you need a million skills just to work in 3D?

If you can't model, texture, rig, animate, render, light, make materials, and do environments, you literally can never have a job in 3D.
>>
>>248918345
A coder is one of the most in demand people, and will always have people wanting them to fix things or implement something
>>
>>248916320
Tell your uncle I'm mad jelly.
>>
>>248918360
Yes, so long as you actually think about it and have a proper business plan. 90 percent of small businesses fail in the first year, mostly because of lack of forethought.
>>
>>248918293
you fucking made it brah

the second chapter is coming up. just bite the bullet and will it anon
>>
>>248918345
archivist
hotel night auditor
graveyard shift at places like gas station, janitor, etc
>>
>>248918347
you can weasel your way to front desk pretty quick if you have any retail or customer service experience at all.
>>
>>248918510
Well, I mean, I didn't have 5+ years free to teach myself those skills. I did what I could in the short time I had.

If you haven't been modeling since you were 16, just don't even bother. Period.
>>
>>248918531
>is there any job that lets you chill outdoors with some animals that ISN'T farming?

Veterinarian. You could also work at a horse ranch in a touristy region.
>>
>>248898524
i really really REALLY FUCKING HATE INDIANS
>>
>>248918759
>Veterinarian
Fuck that man
They get paid for shit and have to deal with horrible things
>>
>>248917007
Rigging is providing a skeleton for your model so it can be animated. It's simple in theory, but in process you have to assign the right polygons to each segment of the right size and then constrain them so that they act like actual bones and don't/can't deform the model itself, using a lot of fine gradients of how much moving the bone should move the mesh outside, referred to as "weighting". Some people find it enjoyable in a zen kind of way, but most people absolutely despise it, so anyone willing to do it full time is a golden child.

Lighting is a lot of things. They'll teach you a shitload of terms you've never heard before in a variety of renderers as general knowledge for when you have to light something in some company's proprietary engine, because fresnel means fresnel and reflection means reflection wherever you go. Fucking around in UDK is generally all that's required to do some good example work. It's actually not nearly as bad as rigging, but people view it as a peasant job and nobody goes for it, so it pays mad buxx.
>>
>>248918531
stable boy
>>
>>248917805
Texas is like that too right now. Towns with lot of oil are having to pay McDonald's workers like $15/hr starting (that's more than double normal) to keep them from just getting an oil job. Not to mention, people with actual skills and degrees are making absolutely ludicrous amounts.
>>
>>248918512
watch "welcome to the NHK"

it describes not just me but a lot of older posters here. not as many as there use to be when redit didn't come here with "YO LIKE HOW CAN YOU NOT TALK TO PEOPE DEPRESSION ISN'T REAL! AND SOCIAL KILLS DON'T DEGRADE EVER LIKE WTF???"

kinda like what you are doing
>>
>>248918360
Not that anon, however one of my jobs is an online store.

Absolutely. It's not guaranteed at all, I've seen newer competitors come and try to fucking undercut like motherfuckers and sell themselves into poverty, but I've also new companies bloom.
Do you need connections? Yes. You can make these by simply taking part in what it is you're trying to sell. It's not overnight but you walk away with not only building a relationships with manufacturer's but also knowing everything a customer could possibly want.
It's not easy, some months are harder than others, but with some dedication you can do it. I've been self-employed for 6 years now and it's just been me, my product, and a 4 storage units down the block. Also, the UPS guy, who's pretty chill with me.

Don't ever believe there isn't enough room for you. Get in there, motherfucker, and take it.
>>
File: 1382043054266.png (8KB, 251x267px) Image search: [Google]
1382043054266.png
8KB, 251x267px
So, I'm currently browsing the thread, so perhaps this has all been covered to some degree.

I have been fantasizing about being a game director, or at least, someone with influence in the project. How would one reach such a position? How do current big directors reach their position?

I currently have no real experience in coding and such, just mostly design ideas and such. I read, play games a lot, watch movies a lot, started writing.I am interesting in knowing coding and such to convey my ideas more properly at least.

I'm currently pursing a liberal arts degree in community just to get a lot of the basic shit out of the way. I have hear a lot of good things about video game development at NYU. Does anyone know anything about NYU and video game development?

tl;dr No experience in coding and such, interested in video game design and want to work up the latter and lead projects. Interested in going to NYU.
>>
>>248918050
Mostly heavy equipment in the form of bulldozers, excavators, trenchers etc.
>>
>>248918986
Skills* not kills
jesus what the fuck
>>
>>248918986
Oh so artificial mental barriers?
>>
>24 with no degree
>only thing i'm interested in is fucking construction vehicles.
>don't know anyone in the field
>dont know how to get into the field
>sit at home all day wondering how my life got so shit
>friends tell me to go back to school
>"what for?"
>ANYTHIN!!!11

I'll end my life before 30 at this rate, I think that's a decent age. People used to die naturally around then right?

I'm probably
>>
>>248918153
Very thinly spread. 36 hours isn't enough to learn much. If it's cheap, I say go for it, because then you can learn most of the fundamentals and be miles ahead when you pursue further education from a more dedicated course.
>>
File: 1394867560900.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1394867560900.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>248918512
People don't become NEETs because they can't find a job, they do it because they can live a life full of escapism and laziness by doing the bare minimum and being a parasite to their families/government.
>>
>>248918880
The lighting sounds quite interesting. Do you get a degree in lightning or would you go for 3D modelling and specialize?
>>
>>248896648
That's some good advice op thanks. I'm going to umbc in the fall for CS with a video games focus. There's like 1 class about game theory everything else is CS related. I love video games, I'd love to make video games, even if they aren't the kind I most want to make, but if it's truly an unfathomable nightmare that kills my interest in video games altogether, than I'll have skills to fall back on.
>>
>>248919060
>currently have no real experience in coding and such, just mostly design ideas and such.
Stopped reading here. This is the number one point of failure for aspiring developers/directors/whateverthefuckyouwanttocallyourself.
Learn to code. You don't want to be the fucking dickbag in the room giving out pipedreams and a prayer. Understand the limitations of design and be able to communicate with programmers.
>>
>>248919209
like that other anon is saying, get a heavy equipment operating certification and move to northern Canada. You can make 100k+ easy starting.
>>
Do you mean my Game Ideas major was a waste of time? but I wanted to be a professional ideas guy :(
>>
>>248918512

If you are honestly asking, people are NEET because for some of them, they get money from their parents, or actually get more from the government that some jobs would pay.

I won't get into people who are actually depressed and disabled, but for some, it takes away incentive and drive.
>>
>>248918986

>Start it
>Quit on ep 4

It got too real man.
>>
>>248919209
have you tried cold calling construction companies and see if they let you work as a crane operator? Enthusiasm goes a long way you know.
>>
>>248919209
You won't die before 50, I can guarantee it.
>>
>>248919060
>I have been fantasizing about being a game director, or at least, someone with influence in the project.

Give up this dream right now. You will never, ever have a job like this. EVER.

You need a a dozen or more years setting yourself up as someone important, be it as an artist or a writer or a director, some kind of creative, and then you need to sell the idea that what you make is good enough to make you worth paying attention to.

You know how Joe Madureira got his job as Art Director at THQ? He fucking worked in comics since the early 90s and was a big deal. You won't be that, not now and not ever.

Go get a McJob. Stop thinking fantasies are real.
>>
>>248919060
either learn how to be a movie director or learn how to program. theres no "easy" middle ground
>>
>>248919389
I'd love to but I live in Ireland
>>
>>248919247

Define "cheap"
>>
>>248918547
>Why do you need millions skills just to work
Because 3dMax sorta cover everything for that and working with Zbrush without a proper workflow to other programs is just that, you'd better off sculpting ice for a living.

2 guys know how to use MS Paint but one guy can draw Mona Liza and the other guy can't even use a mouse to draw, that's the difference.
>>
>>248917805
what the fuck, why have I never heard of this before. Do you need to be a canadian citizen to work up there? What the hell is working 10/4?
>>
>2nd year at university
>comp sci major
>enjoy programming a lot
>pretty good at it
>dont enjoy math
>not good at it
>>
>>248910763
I need more
>>
File: 1402209476356.jpg (150KB, 696x630px) Image search: [Google]
1402209476356.jpg
150KB, 696x630px
>>248918986
>watch "welcome to the NHK"

I've heard a lot about it. Gonna start watching it. I really enjoyed Serial Experiments Lain and the commentary it makes on how the internet is making people crazy, so I'll probably like NHK.
>>
File: 1388203635430.gif (149KB, 1600x1574px) Image search: [Google]
1388203635430.gif
149KB, 1600x1574px
>>248919456
>hasn't watched up t suicide island
fuck anon what are you doing senpai

>>248919207
yeah. it's crippling.

I remember in the summer if my 10th year i high school I lost all friends and couldn't respond to a teacher without stuttering, sweating. on the verge of crying because of "oh fuck i'm so stupid these people are probably think i'm a skinny little weirdo fuck me!" going on in my brain.

this place is so much more different now that I have to explain this to someone ON here.
>>
>>248919060
Unless you're super rich, or are some kind of Jim Jones figure that could convince people to throw their lives away for your vision you'd need to contribute something to have a position remotely like this. Or nepotism. One way or another, learning art or programming would be a good start. "Ideas guy" isn't a real job.
>>
>>248919387
And you missed a big part of the post.

As I said, I want to learn to at least convey my ideas more properly.
>>
>>248919627
Working 10/4 basically means you work for 10 days straight and then have 4 days off. If you come from (Calgary/Edmonton), they fly you back home for the 4 days if you want.
>>
>>248919389
Get a fucking ticket man, make plans and save money now.
>>
>>248919612
That...doesn't answer anything.

Why do you need to be able to do the entire 3D pipeline on your own, just to get someone to look at your portfolio?

Like, I'm a concept artist and a sculptor. Why do I need to be able to build, texture, animate, and light full scenes just to get someone to look at me?
>>
>>248896648
you don't need college to learn any of that.

you can teach yourself. there are books you can buy that will teach you anything related to game design
>>
>>248919869
Well good. See you in 15 years after you've worked your way up the ladder like everyone else.
>>
>ever wanting to work in an industry full of backstabbers, sjw and whiny fucktarded narcissistic dickheads.
>>
>>248919759
>tfw you will never drink Koras sweaty six pack
I'm going t the gym to find some muscle girls maybe that will help

also prepare for an anime that has gained self consciousness over the course of the seasons.
>>
>>248896648
>go to game dev intro program for high school seniors
>lead guy is old veteren of design
>says he wanted to make fantasy rpgs
>whole career spent on ea sports games designed to be replaced in a year
>you could hear his spirit breaking as he explains it
yeah no, fuck that
>>
>>248897582

Industrial art degree, not video game design.

Shigeru Miyamoto was an industrial artist. So was Daniel Dociu (people who play Guild Wars/2 would know who he is, maybe not anyone else), and quite a few other designers got their start as an artist. They go from designing environmental art, or assets, to concept art, to character design, to art direction, to level design to game design.

Software engineers/programers usually get their start as QA/debug. A lot of them never actually get to the DESIGN of a game, they're relegated to coding and debugging until they get to a point where they start their own studio, then they design (Mike O'Brien for instance).
>>
File: 1337232162733.jpg (73KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1337232162733.jpg
73KB, 400x388px
>>248919659
i know whatcha mean man
>>
File: 1402888726610.jpg (104KB, 638x566px) Image search: [Google]
1402888726610.jpg
104KB, 638x566px
>>248915789
I'm a night receptionist, I can see the Vatican from the entrance of the Hotel.
I basically get paid to work 2 hours, the rest is just watching movies, listening to music, and playing videogames.
Mind you, it sounds like a dream job, but after 2 years of this life you start to realize there are many better things to do with your life than staying awake at night and sleeping during day. You basically are a no-lifer 360°.
>>
>>248917805

give me moar, I am interested in Canada now.
>>
>>248919525
>give up your possible dream
No thanks, I'll pursue it and see what I can do.

>>248919545
Yep, as I said, I want to learn how to program to convey my ideas properly at least. If not actually contributing to the project itself.

>>248919836
Of course I need to actually have some background of decent works of mine to get this. What I'm curious about is what exactly many of these directors did and how so.

>>248919991
That's fine, fast or slow, if it gives me the work I desire I can deal with that.
>>
>>248919209
>only thing i'm interested in is fucking construction vehicles.
That can be arranged, I recommend going into the tailpipe. Bring lube.
>>
>>248909126
>What do you enjoy?
>>
>>248919336
Well

In my animation class they grade you pretty hefty chunk for lighting alone.
>>
>>248919456
I'm rewatching it right now. It's pretty good I think. To me Watamote was a lot more painful to watch even though I liked it as well.
>>
>>248919779

I-Is it that good? Will I want to off myself in shame after watching it?
>>
>>248919659
>tfw you blanked out on linear algebra through most of the semester
>tfw near the end you have a eureka moment about it but it's too late.
>>
>>248919060
>How do current big directors reach their position?

Start at entry-level position of your choice (these days programmers and artists are both relatively viable candidates for design positions) and inspire enough confidence in your bosses through your portfolio or fast talking that they let you do a little bit of design work, probably as a level designer or tweaking a certain system or mechanic. If you don't suck, you eventually get promoted up the studio's ladder to lead designer of your own game.

There's no "ideas guy" fast track. You need to pick a practical development skill (preferably not something niche like audio engineering or writing) and work your way up.
>>
>>248919525
>being this negative
No need for your projecting of your broken dreams.
>>
how does one start a game studio without knowing how to program?
>>
>>248920395
>Guys I have no skills at all
>Tell me how to be the top-level executive creative director for video games

Really? REALLY?
>>
>>248916243
it only reflects truth.
video games are hit and miss business-wise, sequels are super safe in comparison.
>>
>>248920254
If you wanna learn programming find a python tutorial or learn c/c++. Art, I have no idea. Good luck anon!
>>
File: 1384773711296.jpg (133KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1384773711296.jpg
133KB, 500x378px
meanwhile I make a six figure income from knowing a bit of physics and human anatomy
>>
>>248920447
Well, step one would be to shoot yourself in the face.

Step two might be to consider that maybe you chose the wrong career path.
>>
>>248909126
You need willpower for that, something I lack entirely.
>>
File: 1382560780290.png (113KB, 331x329px) Image search: [Google]
1382560780290.png
113KB, 331x329px
>About to go to uni
>Don't know what to study
>Complete shit at math
>Only thing that could keep me going is vidya

What do I do ;_;
>>
>>248920395
It's negative but fairly realistic.
>>
>>248920087
Fellow Night Receptionist here, this guy is totally right. I'm finally moving on after 2 years of doing it, it was cool in the beginning getting paid to basically fuck around on my laptop and read but about six months ago I realized the job was turning me into an antisocial quasi-NEET.
>>
File: 1366092540094.jpg (9KB, 267x181px) Image search: [Google]
1366092540094.jpg
9KB, 267x181px
>>248920310
I didn't even make it that far
>Math 150 in high school (stretched out over a year)
>Do good
>Get B+
>Get to college and take Math 151
>professor doesn't help us with shit
>oh god what am I doing
>why does except me everyone seem to know this already
>fail instantly
>stop attending class after 3 weeks
>>
>>248920356
What exactly would be an entry level position? I'm not exactly aware of what or how to get there, or what to pursue.

Yep, ideas guys are nice, but have no substance to actual work. Exactly why I want to know how to code, ideas only go so far. I need to provide actual material.

>>248920545
Nope, I would love to be a creative director, but I have no skills and as I said I want to gain them to convey my ideas. And hopefully do some good work.
>>
>>248920087
Why not go do other shit then? You probably have mad dosh if you're just doing the same thing over and over.
>>
File: 1395690518799.jpg (35KB, 335x333px) Image search: [Google]
1395690518799.jpg
35KB, 335x333px
>be me, right now, 20 years old
>missed 4 years of high school dealing with a terminal disease when i was 14, and have been struggling to catch up ever since
>im 8 credits away from graduating with the most basic bullshit, aka, i could never get into UNI with my current grades
>want to get into Electrical Engineering and focus on radio technology

should I stay in high school, and get all the physics/math courses i need (+3 years) then go to university? OR finish high school (+1 year), go to college (+3 years), then transfer to university?
>>
>>248920764
Art maybe?
>>
>>248918531
Become a ranger.
>>
File: 1356508620958.png (1MB, 1000x1282px) Image search: [Google]
1356508620958.png
1MB, 1000x1282px
>>248920656
meanwhile I make a seven figure income by taking a shit every morning
>>
>>248920087
> but after 2 years of this life you start to realize there are many better things to do with your life than staying awake at night and sleeping during day

This happens with everyone, regardless of how you determine success. Just part of getting older.
>>
>>248920292
can you imagine the feeling of pure suicidal frenzy. then a greater feel of willpower than TTGL ever gave? then imagine like you are in heaven and you were just evoked and you have t leave and you are perfectly fine with this. I mean TTGL is my top 4 anime. but the speech at the end...

there really is nothing like it. the manga is so much better but watch the show first and I mean it. It's like only being allowed to like the waffle cone of an ice cream cone.
>>
So...

How fucked is someone going into 3D modeling/animation/rigging/etc?

Not actually me, I am a happy and employed CSCI major but a friend of mine has been trying to convince me it is a good field but that sounds kind of bullshit. Also any surprise math courses in a degree like that?

Also, get a fucking internship or complete a big personal project before you graduate if you want a dev job guys, seriously.
>>
>>248920310
>tfw near the end you have a eureka moment about it but it's too late.

This always happens to me. Living is suffering.
>>
>>248920292
>Will I want to off myself in shame after watching it?
Nope, now go and watch it. It's only 24 episodes.
>>
I honestly wish 4chan had a job advice board
>>
>>248920771
Not really, it's just the classic "you aren't good enough". Will this guy be a creative director? Probably not at least the guy admits his faults and wants to know how to fix them

Instead his suggestion is to give up instead of working to get better
>>
>>248920787
What are you, some kind of normalfag?
>>
File: 1402199001689.jpg (205KB, 800x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1402199001689.jpg
205KB, 800x1256px
>>248920042
>tfw you will never drink Koras sweaty six pack

You should check out >>>/fit/ and start lifting. It's a whole lot of fun, and you'll meet all kinds of delicious brown girls with lickable abs. Find your local YMCA. Getting fit is a lot of fun, and it makes you mentally healthy.

tbh, I felt really sad today due to my financial situation, but this thread makes me feel happy because I know other people are in my situation. The best threads on /v/ are the ones where we all come together. I love you, /v/.
>>
>>248919952
Because the art department is just as competitive as the coding department in any videogame company and your best bet is to learn everything and become a director of at least a small team. I think you're having an impression that your superiors don't know anything and that's why they hired you. That's not entirely incorrect but if you can't even do any of the skill you need then good luck slaving away 30 years doing the grunt work of grunt works.

In short, if you can only do 1/3 of what some nameless schmuck can do you're in no position to work in their company.
>>
>>248921018
>>>/job/
>>
>>248896648
Or, you get a bunch of money together and become an idea guy, or you learn how to code and make games.

whats this college business.
>>
>>248920797
>professor doesn't help us with shit
I think this is quite normal in uni. You're supposed to keep up with your studies by yourself there.
>>
I work at a fuckhuge tech company and make $$$,$$$ a year writing code and doing what I love.

You basically do not want any part of a vidya design degree program, coder camp or whatever else. Not only is the industry crowded as all hell, and the jobs miserable 8am-12am rush-to-meet-deadlines clusterfucks even if you do manage to learn what you need and establish yourself among a very large crowd _and_ be in the right place at the right time _and_ have significant experience while still young enough to be flexible, those courses don't really teach anything worth knowing.
>>
>>248920253
Not sure what you interested in, any specifics? Are you an engineer, HE operator etc? Basically what you should know is that if you come from any Trade background or engineering background (EE, ME, CE,PE) your guaranteed mad dosh. Hell, even accountants and basic construction grunts make a lot up here. You get provided housing by your company/contractor as well as food. (The food is amazing too, they have legit cooks so your happy). Only problems is that its cold as FUCK in the winters and you can get a tad lonely. Also be prepared for relationships back home to get fucked up (unless you have really close friends who attempt to contact you, you won't be available most of time).
>>
>Dropped out of university, been NEET since 2012
>Going back to college in September

Any ex-NEETs here? What was it like to get back into work/education after a long time with no real routines?
>>
File: 1394519297372.jpg (35KB, 356x333px) Image search: [Google]
1394519297372.jpg
35KB, 356x333px
Where can I get started learning programming?
Just to see if I like it.
>>
>>248920960
>How fucked is someone going into 3D modeling/animation/rigging/etc?

Are you the best in your graduating class? Do you have a portfolio that shits all over everyone around you and screams "professional"? Do you have mad connections? Can you handle the entire 3D pipeline by yourself, and without needing more pay than an entry-level monkey?

If you can't say yes to all of these things, there are no jobs for you.
>>
>>248921018
>>248921018

I agree, I kinda have to browse /pol/, /v/, /r9k/, and /biz/ to get some quasi job discussion. A dedicated board would be great.
>>
I dropped out of uni due to anxiety. Was doing computer science, hated it and all the people in it.

Dunno what to do now. Guess I'll join the army and get killed if they can get over my anxiety and depression
>>
meanwhile i make a five figure income teaching english to children in a foreign country

i don't plan on coming back to the US
>>
>>248920903

Do you NEED the math/physics courses or is it more of just the credits?

If you don't need the classes and already know the math look into skipping highschool and jumping into a community college by passing the entrance exam. Then apply from there.

If you can skip the rest of highschool because you know your shit and start college "early" you could probably transfer to Uni with your life story if you do well in community college.
>>
>>248899537
this is wrong, everyone and their mother does engineering now and there's significantly more graduates then there is jobs available plus businesses prefer to hire some guy from india on the cheap these days then get their experienced guys to fix up the shit the indian guy put out

Sure the job pays well once you're established but you have to be ready to work crazy hours in bumfuck nowhere on some mining project or enjoy being a neet
>>
>>248921231
horrible
>>
NO

Let me lay this down for you guys, if you REALLY have to get into video james you go to university and do a BACHELORS OF COMPUTER ENGINEERING

Why?

Because,

Software development
>shows you are a mouth breather who managed to sit through 2 years of piss easy programming for retards in a community college

Computer engineering
>shows you are intelligent enough to get into an accredited university and sit through 4 years of hard educating
>shows you are upper class enough, or atleast motivated enough, to be able to afford going to an expensive school for 4 years either on the sweat of your brow or the piggybank of your rich parents
>gives you a wider understanding of how a computer works, a much more in-depth programming knowledge which applies especially to fields of programming such as physics, ai, graphics, and networking, all incredibly important for game programming

Computer engineering is best course
>>
>>248921209
Career advice thread for those serious about this, a lot of good information about what you can start doing today to work towards this:
http://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/39486842
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 400x506px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 400x506px
>spend 15 years living in Japanese
>speak Japanese pretty well, translate stuff like cancer therapy research and tech documentation in the side
>really just want a job as a translator for some JRPG company like Enix
>They only hire temps and the pay is shit
>End up being some sort of fucking English teacher, a profession that gets shit to no end for its loser status

I'm 30, but old age and death can't come soon enough.
>>
>>248921231
I went into a big slump in depression last year. Dropped out of college towards the end of the semester.

Going to sign up for all the shit tomorrow and go to college next semester. Gotta fix my shit.
>>
>>248921357
How the fuck do you do that? I really want to teach English in Japan
>>
>>248921305

/jerb/ when?
>>
>>248919547
get your education in ireland, then contact companies in canada to see if they are hiring.

If they are, you are pretty much set to get a work visa. And if they keep your hired for 2 (maybe its 4) years, you are eligible to become a citizen.
>>
>>248921357
Dennis?
>>
>>248920903
I dropped out as a junior in high school. Depression and all that shit. After realizing it is impossible for me to be killed, I went straight to community college. I just tested in, I still don't have a high school diploma to this day (transferring from community college to a university they don't ask for that bit).

I completed 2 years of courses in a year and a summer. Straight fucking As, was super fucking easy - community college is a joke. I wrote a baller essay about space travel and got a full ride at a prestigious university. It's not hard, and if you're poor and smart people will find a way to educate you. I ended up graduating before the people who stayed in high school and did a traditional route, although it helps I had a quarter system university.
>>
>>248921390
Every CENG I've run into, without exception, cannot code for shit.

Also
>computer engineering
>AI
>physics
>>
>>248920310
>every semester come super close to failing whatever math class I'm taking
>everyone in the class starts freaking out
>go home and use the two reading days to study for math
>get the exam
>absolutely murder it
>get a 97
>get a C+ when I really should have gotten a D

Why didn't you just git gud
>>
>>248918547
That's patently false unless you're working in a really small studio. If you can do a full model in zbrush, import it into 3dcoat and retopologize it really cleanly, and then unwrap it for the texture artist, you're done. Rigging is almost always its own specialist job, and animation is left to actual animators. Rendering and lighting are engine things somebody less artsy has to take care of, and "doing environments" sounds like a design job.
>>
>>248906889

Damn, I wish we had multimedia classes when I went into college. Went into IT and somehow ended up doing Device Testing in a Telecommunications Company along with other silly telco-related stuff.

After meeting the cool UI designer from a dev team it was too late for me to realize that I wanted to try UI design too. Maybe when I save up enough to try a short course for those.
>>
>>248921171
Yeah I just was not ready at all
>>
>>248921470
what education would you recommend? I don't want to be an engineer but rather do some physical work or operate machinery.

Also, why would they want to hire a foreigner over a canadian?
>>
>>248921424
>Want to go to Japan in my lifetime
>End up as a failure with no money and no prospects in life
>Brother just got offered a new job that's probably going to be sending him traveling, Japan included.

Imma kill myself before I turn 26. Which sucks because TW3 comes out on my 26th birthday and I kinda wanted to play it.
>>
>>248921450
Have a college degree. Doesn't matter in what. Do some research on companies that sponsor teachers and place you in schools and shit. I'm not the guy you asked, and I don't know about Japan, but I taught in Taiwan for two years.
>>
>>248921231
Yeah I'm in the exact same position that you're in but I went back to uni this month
The trick is to get into a study routine before you go back so you get back into the swing of things. For me I bought a whole lot of high school textbooks and relearnt all the subjects I did since I had forgotten all of it which worked pretty well and put me in good stead for when I went back
>>
>>248921424

Japanese = Japan

In = on

Fucking smartphone.
>>
>>248921648
Votech schools are plentiful here in the states, and with the oil boom I'd imagine Alberta at the very least needs skilled workers
>>
>>248921530
And yet when people see ceng on the resume they assume they have a far greater understanding of code than your community college diploma carrying faggot.
>>
>>248919336
There aren't specific degrees for it. Take either a 3d art or animation class that has a really good lighting unit, then make a portfolio. You have almost no competition when applying for the position.
>>
>>248921450
honestly it isn't that hard. just go through JET or interac and don't be a fucking mouthbreathing shithouse

and be warned, if you don't think waifus are love, cheap meals are life, single and tiny apartment forever, the job isn't for you. no glamour and no respect -- your happiness must come from within, like this guy says >>248921424

i enjoy it though
>>
>>248921223
>free food
>free housing
>hermit mode

I barely keep in touch my with my friends anymore and want to leave this shitty city. Seriously, this sounds fucking amazing. Where do I sign up? I'm American if that counts, what do I need to apply for to work in Canada?
>>
>>248896648
>not going to college for electrical engineering
>not designing the next flavor of the year GPU
>not making 80-120k a year

Now I understand why /v/ is full of failures. Enjoy your DeVry Vidya Gaem design program. I'll enjoy raking in the money and the bitches.
>>
>>248919387

There's a lot of designers who know very limited programing and got started knowing nothing about programing. A lot of video game designers got started as artists. They know how to use modeling tools, they know how to texture, they know how to use the engine to utilize their assets... that's it.

Todd Howard isn't a programmer, in fact you might say that's obvious that he's not because a lot of times his design desires far outscale programming and engine limitations.

Some designers get their start by modding. Look at the teams responsible for Counterstrike, Left 4 Dead, and now Icefrog. Some might have experience programming but reality is they're modders who got picked up by Valve to DESIGN games, not necessarily code them.

Coding is just one avenue to get into game design.
>>
>>248921604
>you're done
In theory, yeah. I mean, you're done in the sense that that's how the pipeline works.

But that doesn't have anything to do with actually LANDING a job, for which you need literally every skill ever on your resume just to get them to read it.
>>
>>248921764
That's why you don't be a CC diploma-carrying dipshit. >>248921417 outlines a bunch of things you can start doing, right now, to help distinguish yourself among the crowd
>>
>>248921692
Oh, and you're more likely to get a job if you are white and somewhat handsome, as you are basically as much of a monkey they can show off to parents like "hey, little ping is getting taught by a REAL american" as you are a teacher.
>>
File: 1402115140249.jpg (5KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
1402115140249.jpg
5KB, 200x193px
>struggling with college
>pass classes but I'm clearly not a good student
>my few friends dropped out or left me
>ponder about the shit future that awaits me
>depression kicks in
>turn myself to the universe
>Why are we here? Did someone chose this path for me? What is my purpose, why carry on living? What happens once my light goes out?
>realize that I'm having an identity crisis

I'm looking for the answer to questions with no answers. Help.
>>
File: T-Talk8.gif (52KB, 176x192px) Image search: [Google]
T-Talk8.gif
52KB, 176x192px
>>248921054

I love you too man, how about a hug.
>>
>>248921223
>free food
elaborate anon, food gets more fucking expensive every year. How does this free food thing work? Do you have a company meal card or someshit?
>>
>>248921858
>implying Nvidia hires ANYONE without 5yrs exp min
>>
>>248921530
Is computer science better? Because I'm doing that right now.
>>
>>248921359
I absolutely do not know any of the math.
If i want to get into electrical engineering, I'm going to need to take one more algebra course, 3 physics courses, 1 chemistry course, 1 vectors/functions course, 1 calculus course, and a bunch of other arbitrary credits (8) to graduate.

I know im not very good at math, but I figure, just like any skill, anybody with the right dedication, can learn it.

How true is this assumption?
>>
>>248921752
UK fag here with no oil experience. Think I could get a job in Alberta? I might look into it.

>>248921837
>>248921424
why are teachers so looked down upon in Japan? I heard they were quite popular
>>
>>248921363
Pretty much. Eng is saturated as fuck now. Geo sciences are still pretty good but most of the work is short term.

Electrician or plumbing apprenticeship is the future.
>>
>>248921245

Just download Eclipse and program in Java or some shit (Probably the easiest to install compared to C++ or C#, and a very similar language).

Then just find an intro to java guide somewhere, and have fun. Programming new things is always fun, I think most people enjoy it. Problem is most jobs don't have you programming new things. They have you reprogramming boring old stuff, and it's not ground up development. It's developing something someone else already figured out, and you have to make some tiny piece of it work.
>>
>>248920830
Code monkey or the artist equivalent. Sometimes people weasel their way in from any job they can get, New Vegas's lead started his vidya career as a webmaster.

My advice would be to look into a Computer Science program at a competent engineering school. It'll give you plenty of opportunities to learn what you want to specialize in, develop your portfolio, and bosses have more confidence in employees/candidates that have demonstrated that they can pass Calc 2.
>>
>>248921604
Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying.
>>
>>248922049
So? Get 5 years of experience then, it's not like AMD and Nvidia are the ONLY companies that higher electrical engineers. Loads of places need people to design ICs.
>>
>>248921515
what college course did you take?

when doing the research, all i found was bullshit "electrical technician" degrees which teach you how to repair power lines and shit I don't want to do.
>>
>>248921675
>always wanted to travel to either England, Taiwan/ China or Japan
>brother got sent to England to do some geophysics type thing
>friend got sent to Taiwan to teach kids how to cheat the SAT
>other friend going to Japan later this year
>get study bees from Japan for my thesis

It's close enough...right?
>>
>getting over my depression
>working as a barista and making $$$ which I blow on vinyl and vidya
>going back to university in a few months
>no longer a neet and happier than ever

we're all going to make it bros
>>
>>248913861
The song used in the former half of the video is "Those Who Remain."
>>
>>248920941
I didn't mean that. You are right, but i was saying that this kind of job that makes you switch night for day etc. really fucks your body and mental sanity up. You realize you are unable to live a normal life. Also the social aspect is catastrophic and your body and mental strenght vanish a little bit more by the day.

>>248920880
Soon I'm going to be promoted and this night shit is gonna end. Like my collegue said, it's fun and games at first but doesn't matter how much of an Anon you might be, shit gets stressful and unbearable after a while.
And i do 60 hours a week (but pay is real good for my country's standards).

>>248920787
Hello bruh :3
>>
>>248921390

I went to a 4 year college for computer science. Half of my classes were computer engineering, it doesn't make any fucking difference at all.

Also, there is no 2 year degree in "Software development". Most software development positions are only offered to people with a bachelor's degree.
>>
>>248922073
Because even japan hates weeaboos. I'm moving to japan and doing this ESL thing for a year my with gf but I'm mostly going because catch wrestling pretty much doesn't exist outside of japan now.
>>
File: living the dream 4eva.jpg (273KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
living the dream 4eva.jpg
273KB, 1920x1080px
>>248922073
to be honest mate there's this bizarre self-loathing that hits most foreign english teachers for some reason. they decide "waah, this career is so dead end, this isn't like my animes, i want more out of life" because they came to japan with wild delusions

in reality my kids love me and most of their parents treat me well at least to my face (they probably think of me as a trans pacific circus attraction but whatever). the sort of negative air surrounding the job is actually mostly generated by the employees themselves, not the japanese. at least that's my personal experience
>>
>>248910615

Assembly Class gave me nightmares. Shit was too fucking insane.

I'm surprised back in college I managed to ace the subject though.
>>
>>248922060

Same shit, different name. Don't let anyone fool you.
>>
>>248922073
>why are teachers so looked down upon in Japan?
Cause they're either huge weebs or just party animals who only go to Japan to fuck girls.
>>
>>248922039
not the guy your replying to but I worked up in Northern Alberta for a 2 years. For us, it basically worked like it was a summer camp type of thing. You come into the mess hall (it was fucking huge) during breakfast and dinner and theres food bars/trays you get. In the morning they also have packaged sandwiches you can take to work for lunch. The food was pretty cash, and they had fucking everything. burgers, fries, desserts, soda. It was insane.
>>
>want to teach English in S.Korea
>companies want you to have a degree before applying to be a teacher
>dropped out of uni due to depression
>now 25 and would be 29 after finishing a bachelors degree

it's not even worth it, is it? the pay for being a teacher is too shit for a 30 year old to live comfortably off.
>>
>>248922661
>30 year olds magically need more money to live off of than 20somethings
it's sad that the house/yard/family thing is so ingrained in most people that they can't even conceive of something different
>>
>>248922009
It'll be alright anon, but its that time where you start completely redefining how you approach your life. If you want to talk to someone I'm here.
>>
>>248922278
In community college they had classes designed specifically for potential transfers into university for a variety of programs. I doubled in mathematics and astrophysics because I was lucky enough for a full ride and there were lots of overlapping subjects. I figured an extra degree couldn't hurt. Turns out it didn't hurt and instead it just looked good on a resume. I got into network administration because I worked as an IT "specialist" during school. It took me a few months to get through all the cert processes but my current bosses hired me because I had degrees, certification, and experience in the field. I could have stayed in school and done the whole postgrad shit but academia is not for me.

>hen doing the research, all i found was bullshit "electrical technician" degrees which teach you how to repair power lines and shit I don't want to do.

That sounds like a technical/trade school, not a junior/community college.
>>
>>248922661
>Hey, I was hoping to come over to your country and get a job as an English teacher
>What? A degree? I thought you would just give the job away to any neckbeard that speaks English
>>
>>248922628
yeah pretty much this. My camps mess hall isn't that big but holy fuck there is so much food. Like seriously, so many leftovers. You can just bag up whatever you want if you want snacks to eat. The only thing that every 100% finishes is bacon in the morning.
>>
>>248922661
I don't know about worst korea (they're the most racist out of any east asian country anyway), but you can make some pretty good money being an english teacher in another country. Whether through private tutoring, a cram school job, whatever. Also, depending on where you go, the cost of living will probably be lower. I'm the guy who was in Taiwan, and lived comfortably off the equivalent of $20/hr 20 hours a week. Ate out every day, had a nice place, went out a lot, etc. What's more, if you actually stay in the country for a while, learn the language, etc., more and more opportunities open up. I had a friend who started as just a normal english teacher, met someone there, and ended up opening his own school. The biggest problem most people have is culture shock or home sickness or whatever.
>>
>>248922063

>I know im not very good at math

Most people who say this just haven't learned to properly study or haven't studied hard enough. If you think you can be dedicated enough you can probably do it unless you are legitimately disabled.

Go to a local community college and get a meeting with an adviser there. Explain your situation and see what they say about skipping highschool and earning your math credits and college credits there, then eventually transferring to a University.

You may even be able to earn highschool and college credits at the same time. I went to a community college (payed for by state as an early college program) for my last 2 years of highschool to both graduate highschool and then immediately transfer to finish 2 years at a University for a degree, effectively saving me 2 years.

Talk with your highschool and local community colleges and see what kind of options/programs you have.
>>
>>248923168
How was Taiwan? was it as dangerous as people make out?
>>
OK CANADA FAGS. EDUCATE ME.
It seems like your country is finally useful for something. How do I get a job in northern alberta? Do I need to be a canadian citizen? Where the fuck is alberta?
>>
>>248922661
It's a visa requirement, anon. Same as Japan, Taiwan and I think China. Most of Europe too.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px)
image.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>248922073

>>248921424 here

>why are teachers so looked down upon in Japan?

Even if you try very hard to be the best damn teacher there ever was, your students are often crippled by years of being taught WRONG. Other teachers around you are jut fresh-out-of-college kids who are in it for the easy 2.5 grand a month and don't give a shit. Others are here to have sex with a bunch of really average looking girls with daddy issues.

Teachers in Japan have been looked down upon in Japan since WW2. Being a foreigner and teaching a subject that few students ever gain proficiency in is just the icing on the cake, because it makes you a fraud in addition to being a parasite.

I'm getting my PhD and then getting the fuck out, though. I'll become a business interpreter. A welder. A post office employee. Anything. I just don't want to teach.
Thread posts: 541
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.