[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Broadway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10

File: Hamilton.jpg (16KB, 305x225px) Image search: [Google]
Hamilton.jpg
16KB, 305x225px
Saw Hamilton today with my family. Thought it was pretty awesome. I liked how, even though the founding fathers were all black, they didn't reduce them to "waz up, mayne? Man deeze colonial bitches wit dem phat asses yo." Anyone else see it yet?
>>
shameless self broadway bump
>>
>>64970950
Well that's comforting. Too often "black" means lifting the baseless culture memes
>>
File: Daveed.jpg (103KB, 1280x839px) Image search: [Google]
Daveed.jpg
103KB, 1280x839px
>>64972586
yeah I'm glad they kept the nobility of the founding fathers in tact
>>
What in God's name is this shit and why did they think it was a good idea
>>
>>64972769
Yeah. Same thing with that godawful Jesus musical. How dare they disgrace the son of god like that.
>>
>>64972769
They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
>>
>>64972769
I'm not much of a musical guy, and before I saw it I thought the idea of blacks being the founding fathers was another liberal attempt to nigger-fy history aka "we waz kings", but I was getting into it after I warmed up to it. It wasn't bad.
>>
>>64972791
>>64972814
From wikipedia:

"Miranda said that the portrayal of Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and other caucasian historical figures by black and Hispanic actors should not require any substantial suspension of disbelief by audience members. “Our cast looks like America looks now, and that’s certainly intentional,” he said. “It’s a way of pulling you into the story and allowing you to leave whatever cultural baggage you have about the founding fathers at the door.”[28] He noted "We're telling the story of old, dead white men but we're using actors of color, and that makes the story more immediate and more accessible to a contemporary audience."

So basically, they decided to change the skin color of historical figures to make black people more comfortable. This is modern America.
>>
>musical
>rap
pick one
>>
>>64972958

At least the king is still white.
>>
>>64972958
I don't know it didn't really feel that way desu. I mean believe whatever you want but from a guy who saw it to me it felt more like something new done. Was it for best or for worst? who knows. I'd have to see it with white actors to make that decision. But the show was good. Music was good. Got a pretty good history lesson. Overall it was a fun time.
>>
>>64973133
He has to be because he's the "bad guy" silly.
>>
>>64973171

He literally did nothing wrong though
>>
Only heard some of the songs. It's about time Hamilton is getting the respect he deserves, he's the greatest of the founders. It's a crime that he's being taken off the $10
>>
Hamilton gets away with all the shit it does because Miranda is a fucking beast. You can tell that guy loves the source material he's working with and knows how to play with language well.
>>
>>64973200
This tbqh. And since Hamilton was a huge anglophile, shouldn't he a cool dude in the musical?
>>
>>64973062
eh there wasn't a whole lot of rap. Not as much as I thought there was going to be, atleast.
>>
>>64973245
Wait, is he really being taken off? That shit needs to be protested
>>
>>64972769
It's very, very popular and making a lot of money. How was it a bad idea?
>>
>>64973295
The king was only in it for like a combined time of 10 minutes. He sung a breakup song between him and America that was actually pretty funny.
>>
>>64972958
Hamilton's isn't a retelling of history so much as it's using America's history to understand modern America and it sure as fuck isn't subtle about that with all the emphasis on shit like immigration.
>>
>>64973245
I agree with you. my public education wasn't great so I didn't learn much about Alexander Hamilton. For the longest time I thought he was a president. But this musical really taught me a lot of cool shit about him. Like how he brought America out of bankruptcy with a plan that on;ly he himself came up with. Or how he caught beef with literally every other founding father and how most of the constitutional convention thought he was a major piece of shit.
>>
>>64973349
My grandma bought me the CD set for my birthday because she knows I love the guy. Might have to crack it open tonight.
>>
Dude who plays Aaron Burr is the best cast member because he made me actually like Aaron Burr and he had the best songs.
>>
>>64972958
>minorities can't be interested in something unless someone that looks like them is playing the roles

Why can't white people be afforded the same ignorance?
>>
>>64973503
Do they not find it condescending in the least? I'll never get it
>>
File: Mead-Hamilton-1200.jpg (497KB, 1200x884px) Image search: [Google]
Mead-Hamilton-1200.jpg
497KB, 1200x884px
>>64973436
Music was phenomenal. I'd highly recommend giving it a listen.
>>
>>64972958
No they changed the skin color because the show is allegorical to the life of a modern American rapper. Also white people can't rap and just about every cast member but the Asian girl and the useless sister/whore have to rap at some point or another.
>>
>>64970950
>not posting songs
ONE JOB OP ONE FUCKING JOB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovje92D742s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBmTdJ4XTfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOfpIPztKM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpsuEcKW8ZE
>>
>>64973600
>guns and ships

Dude goes full sonic fast
>>
File: 65465464.jpg (37KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
65465464.jpg
37KB, 500x250px
>>64973580
>white people can't rap
>>
File: AaronBurr.jpg (33KB, 500x678px) Image search: [Google]
AaronBurr.jpg
33KB, 500x678px
>>64973447
Wait For was one of the most powerful songs in the show for me. I also liked how they didn't paint Aaron Burr as a straight out Villain and actually made it seem like him dueling Alexander was justified in some ways. The show was almost as much as Burr's as it was Hamilton's.
>>
>>64973633
Who are these infants and why do they look like they'd have to get a ride from their mom to go to Warped Tour
>>
>>64972958
Is that really what young people consider important these days?? Re-contextualizing historical events to suit their modern beliefs? Is that why Baz Luhrmann still has a career?
>>
>>64973668
How fucking young are you
>>
>>64973600
forgot the best one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS79uxNFoHw
>>
When I saw this, I honestly expected to hate it, but I really enjoyed it. I had never heard the soundtrack beforehand like a lot of other people I know, so maybe the experience is different if it's just audio, but combined with the visuals it was great for sure. I hope they make a DVD or something of it so more people can see it because it's sold out for all of this year iirc
>>
I just saw Fiddler on the Roof for the first time. I thought it was amazing.
The story was okay, nothing mind blowing. But dear God, the singing and dancing was orgasmic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4Wk_8PbcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxLohjwhoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FPEwPpSyVE

OP here. My favorite songs from the show.
>>
>>64973719
I listened to the audio and got hype to book tickets and the only tickets still available were like shitty wing tickets that were 200 a piece. It's insane how popular this show is.
>>
>>64973719
That was me too, honestly. I wasn't down for the whole idea that blacks were playing the founding fathers. But it ended going above and beyond my expectations.
>>
>>64973062
Guess you've never seen The Music Man then.
>>
>>64973436
Love me some Groffsauce.
>>
>>64973900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_Oe-jtgdI Ya got trouble gets to be some busta rhymes shit at points.
>>
Makes me sad that the only time people care about history is when its repackaged as entertainment with trite little musical numbers and staged choreography to keep the plebians in their seat.
>>
>>64973782
solid
>>
>>64972769
It's off broadway so no one cares and the media circlejerks it because it's "progressive" to have niggers play the founding fathers.
>>
>>64973719
NBC want to do a live version so maybe in 2 years, which is when it also makes its West End debut.
>>
File: Groff.jpg (43KB, 460x426px) Image search: [Google]
Groff.jpg
43KB, 460x426px
>>64973956
Man's voice is smoother than butter.
>>
>>64974151
its on broadway though.
>>
File: 23457643.gif (290KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
23457643.gif
290KB, 160x160px
>as you can see i've kept a record of every check in my checkered history/check it again against your list and see consistency
>the gossip in new york city is insidious
>you're a nuisance with no sense/you'll die of irrelevance/go ahead and call me the devil/you aspire to my level/you aspire to malevolence
>if washington isn't gon' listen to disciplined dissidents/this is the difference/this kid is out

This shit gets me hard
>>
>>64974173
>2 years

Nah son we need as much of the OBC as possible on film and Groff is already out.
>>
>>64973301
Yeah, they announced a few months ago that the $10 is being redesigned and it will feature a woman instead of Hamilton once that happens. I think after people complained they said that Hamilton will be honored in some way on it, but that probably means he'll be tiny in the background or something.
>>
>>64974289
>lets take the first secretary of the treasury and the dude who established out first national bank off the money

Great idea guys
>>
>>64974289
But why Hamilton? It seems like they'd rather get rid of Jackson if they're just trying to be PC here. And what woman is more deserving than Hamilton? This really rustles me
>>
>>64974380
Because honestly no one knows who he is or what he did. Which is a damn shame because he's basically the founder of our financial system. People just know him as "that revolutionary guy that may or may not have been president."
>>
>>64974470
That could be a good thing to come from this musical, though. Maybe now that more people will know who he is that shit wont happen. Most people probably don't know who any of the people on our money are, sadly
>>
>>64974553
we can hope
>>
>>64974470
>Because honestly no one knows who he is or what he did
Urban youth, Instagram, and illegal immgirants may not know, but real Americans know who the fuck he is you piece of fucking shit Freudian projecting idiot.
>>
>>64974639
I hate to break it to you but the general public of America really don't give a shit about the founding fathers beyond funny stories about them.
>>
>>64974639
People really don't know who he is, dude. They just know he's a founding father. Go out in public and ask the first person you see who Alexander Hamilton is and what he did. Chances are they wont be able to answer or they'll only partially answer.
>>
>>64974847
If I walk out into my community and ask my neighbor who Alex Hamilton is, he will know, his wife will know, and his children will know. How do I know this? I know all of my neighbors in a one-mile range and they're all real Americans and trustworthy, educated people.

Come out to Tooela, UT and ask your dumb 6th grade social studies question to anyone here. I guarantee we all know the answer.
>>64974780
The general public is now Syrian refugees, gangster rappers, and Mexicans. Try asking real Americans.
>>
I saw Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.

Not great, but a lot of fun, and some of the music is legitimately good.
With a slight rewrite it could be GOAT. Reeve Carney is the best live-action Spider-Man to date.
>>
>>64975149
>Reeve Carney
Isn't he the guy who plays Dorian Gray in Penny Dreadful
>>
>>64974380
>Jackson
WHY WOULDN'T YOU EVER GO OUT WITH ME IN SCHOOL?
>>
>>64975189
The internet is a lovely tool my friend.
>>
>>64975189
I don't watch that show, but yeah. That's cool as fuck, I didn't know he did non stage work.
>>
Who will play him in the inevitable biopic?
Himself
>>
>>64973600
>No Theodosia or take a break
You fucked up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMN6zSVFQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCkko_t_rs
>>
>>64975495
I wanna be mad at him for always casting himself as the lead in his shows but after the annoyance wears off I always find him endearing.
>>
I'm not a cuck so I don't usually complain about "blackwashing" in these types of roles, but this really does seem like an attempt to make it seem like blacks were part of the founding fathers.
>>
>>64975534
>Dear Theodosia
I usually don't like songs like that but LOJ kills it.

I wish they hadn't cut the Dear Theodosia reprise from the off broadway run. I get that they wanted to tighten the focus and everything but it paralleled Alexander's grief in It's Quiet Uptown well and put them thematically on more level footing.
>>
>>64975196
Top Tastes Anon
>>
>>64975660
>but this really does seem like an attempt to make it seem like blacks were part of the founding fathers.
You're completley wrong but thanks for the attempted contribution. Race isn't referenced in the play beyond some comments about slavery regarding actual historical facts, like the shit with John Laurens leading black men into battle. Immigration is a theme because Hamilton himself was a poor immigrant.
>>
>>64975845
lmao when did I say anything about race being referenced. is it not enough for you that they're portrayed by black actors? you're the one making assumptions, not me.
>>
>>64975894
>lmao i didn't say anything about race i said something about black people
They're black/latino/asian actors completely aware of the fact that they're assuming the roles of white men. That's the entire point.
>>
This is legitimately fantastic storytelling and writing for a musical (screenplay? libretto?) And the racial casting is consciously done in a way that more fully works toward the musicals goal than keeping it accurate (i.e. it's not just "let's make X white historical figure black for diversities sake" as in other instances). /tv/ not acknowledging that indicates they're willing to put politics before art just like the diversity quota producers they claim are ruining things.
>>
The tiny Mexican who wrote the show is surprisingly good at writing raps AND the typically more broadway-y songs but I'm still not a big fan of his actual voice.
>>
>>64973447
How does Hamilton

An arrogant

Immigrant, orphan

Bastard, whoreson

Somehow endorse

Thomas Jefferson, his enemy

A man he’s despised since the beginning

Just to keep me from winning?
>>
File: content_image.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
content_image.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
Have any of you seen his other show?
>>
>>64976219
>retarded rap garbage
oh how nice
>>
For anyone who wants the cast recording

chrome-extension://bigefpfhnfcobdlfbedofhhaibnlghod/mega/secure.html#!DBoG2KSB!5yp3rmcfQXPWPw0XyZU2cJQ7wmiW3591kf3wXjdiD9U
>>
>>64976219
>that dark reprise

My dick was diamonds.
>>
>>64976276
>/tv/ getting hard from anything that's "dark"

Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>64976319
>implying my dick didn't get hard because every reprise got more and more aggressive until burr was ready to go off on that motherfucker and it was well done

my favorite song is dear theodosia but I can't exactly say it got my dick hard without it being weird now can I
>>
>>64976180
He can do the pure Broadway thing when he wants to but yeah he's obviously not a belter. He sounds a little whiney
>>
this about the one hit wonder Charles Hamilton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wPFskQI56Q
>>
>>64976276
>>64976319
>>64976398
>amazing musical inspires threads where niggers talk about their dicks
wow
>>
Non American here.

What is up with the worship of the founding fathers as almost God like entities who are correct by default?
>>
>>64976530
Rednecks always cite the founding fathers when they want to carry guns and kill niggers but aside from history buffs your average dude really doesn't have much knowledge about them. This musical was created because a dude read a biography of Hamilton and thought his life was fucking cool, not because the founding fathers are venerated or something.

In fact a big theme in this musical is that the founding fathers were often petty shitheads who couldn't agree about anything.
>>
>>64976530
They aren't worshipped, but they were pretty damn intelligent and got shit done. They were pretty incredible people in a lot of ways. What are you, some kind of person who doesn't appreciate his country's historical figures?
>>
File: 7-religion.jpg (445KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7-religion.jpg
445KB, 1920x1080px
>>64976530
Because they were
>>
>>64976617
>implying there's anything wrong with carrying guns
>implying niggers don't kill each other every day
fuck right off desu
>>
>>64976708
Why you so mad homie
>>
okay OP I'm triggered. You win.
>>
>>64970950
I've been hearing a shit ton about this but I had no idea they made them all black

This is a fucking shock, but I'm kind of okay with the idea.
>>
>>64976817
no need for triggering, friend. This is just a laid back musical discussion.
>>
>>64976656
>What are you, some kind of person who doesn't appreciate his country's historical figures?

My country doesn’t have any historical figures who are treated in the same quasi-mystical kind of way and seen as the default representation of the nation's values.
>>
>>64976530
I don't see why people find it so strange. It's not uncommon to deify historical figures to a certain extent, regardless of what country you're talking about.
>>
>>64976948
They wrote our constitution so it makes sense that they represent our nation's values, but as I said before I don't know anyone who sees them as "gods" or mystical in any way.
>>
WE
>>
>>64972769
guy read a thousand page book on alexander hamilton. Thought "fuck it, I made loads on the musical I made, and who even fucking care's what a musical is about". and went on to make an even big profit than he did with his last show.
>>
>>64975636
people were probably the same with George M. Cohan
>>
>>64977262
It's crazy to me that he just wanted to make a mixtape at first and it just kinda snowballed into one of the most popular and lucrative Broadway shows in the last few years.
>>
>>64977383
It's crazy to me that the urban/Instagram/Mexican population thinks that Alexander Hamilton is some mysterious figure whom no one knows about and that this shitty rap so-called "musical" is something worthy of praise.
>>
>>64977453
You're the guy from Utah aren't you
>>
i tried to like this. i keep seeing all the reviews and how popular it is but this shit is terrible. i cringe at every verse this guy raps..
>>
>>64977540
I thought I was the only one who found it to be cringy
>>
Being a big theater buff, it's nice to see discussion of shows here. I think musicals get such a bad image to the public. Mention it to a normie, and they'll most likely think of stereotypical "jazz hands", silly, gay shows, or Disney movies. Not that those are bad, but compared to the amount of variety of music/stories that exist, I wonder if they will become more mainstream. Maybe if more filmed musical theater existed. After all, it's just storytelling using music. Anyway, here are some shows that can maybe change your mind towards musicals if you didn't like them before: Sweeney Todd, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, The Book of Mormon, Cabaret, Assassins, My Fair Lady (good movie), Jesus Christ Superstar, Carousel, Pippin, Little Shop of Horrors, and many more. Go down the rabbit hole.
>>
>>64978630
Gonna second Hedwig, that's what convinced me.
>>
>>64978630
>I think musicals get such a bad image to the public.

They really don't, the vast majority of them are as gay as all hell. The Robert Lopez ones are saved by their humor though, but even then most people won't care for the actual music.
>>
>>64978630
Sweeney Todd is the most patrician show.
I don't even know what patrician means but you get my point Todd is good af.
>>
>>64978630
If your looking specifically for more modern stuff check out any of the albums by Jason Robert Brown or Frank Wildhorn
>>
disgrace to one of the greatest men who have ever lived
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.