[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Revenant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 300
Thread images: 23

File: The Revenant.jpg (125KB, 1320x794px) Image search: [Google]
The Revenant.jpg
125KB, 1320x794px
Just saw The Revenant.

In my opinion it has to win at least one oscar for best cinematography. This movie was amazing, the picture the beautiful score from Sakamoto and Alva Noto.
Di Caprio did a great job here too. Maybe it was a bit too long for some people, but for me it worked.

But thats only my opinion.

(Also fuck The Martian, way overhyped, Matt Damon wasn't even a worth nomination for this..)
>>
Just saw it with a friend.
Great cinematography, score.
DiCaprio's performance was great.
Movie was long as fuck. Maybe didn't need to be quite that long but whatever.
Gritty, depressing movie with an ambiguous ending.
>>
>>64965068

The fact that he just happens to run into a lone friendly Indian seemed too convenient.
>>
>>64965068
Saw it hours ago aswell. It was great. I'm imagining that /tv/ is going to like this one because it is generally unpopular.
Or, at least, people exiting my theatre weren't very pleasant with the pacing...
>>
>>64965068
I too saw it today. It's essentially Gladiator in the forest. 7/10 I didn't like the noble savage ally character.
>>
the way of the future
>>
>>64966530

>I didn't like the noble savage ally character.

I didn't either. He just felt like a huge plot convenience. It would have been more impressive to see Glass do all that stuff himself.
>>
>>64966445
>an ambiguous ending.

>people L I T E R A L L Y think the ending was ambiguous

literally WHAT was ambiguous? he got his revenge but instead of a happy ending, he is still tortured by the memory of his dead family. you can't get more cut and dry than this.
>>
The Redditant is shit
>>
Worth watching this or 13 Hours?
>>
>>64966669
Again, people complaining about something that happened in the film that actually happened in real life. I bet you also think no one could survive a bear attack?

i swear they needed captions to pop up saying what happened to real life hugh glass for you fuckers to enjoy this
>>
>>64965068
Great landscape shots, the movie in between was alright.
>>
>>64966733
Both are great
>>
>>64965068
It's worth watching for the cinematography alone. The shot where Leo walks away from the horse carcass he slept in is the most beautiful visual of the year.
>>
File: bearrape.webm (3MB, 720x300px) Image search: [Google]
bearrape.webm
3MB, 720x300px
>>64965068
saying the obvious gets you downvotes here on /tv/.

yes the cinemetography was outstanding. what that man did with grey...

also the CGI was great. whatever the technical award is, it should be up for it there.

but the acting was fucking lacking. the bear rape scene alone should show you it. leo hits the bear like a faggot. i have been on my back in a fight or two with way larger people on top of me. i sure as fuck didn't hit them with my lower palm. and if you can't get it right on take 200 inside the green room,, then you aren't acting.
>>
>>64966815
Thanks man
>>
>>64966698
i think he means it's not clear whether he lives or dies
>>
>>64966833
Was it rape?
>>
>>64966777

In real life, Hugh never had a half-breed son, and he forgave both Bridger AND Fitzgerald. There is no reason why they couldn't have changed up events a bit more. I just think that seeing Glass survive on his own for most of the journey would have made him more impressive to the audience.
>>
>>64966920
No it wasn't, just replying before the memers
>>
www.ibtimes.com/revenant-true-story-fact-vs-fiction-about-hugh-glass-leonardo-dicaprio-tom-hardy-2255772 for people who are interested, not all things in the movie were based on real events, but nearly all the survival stuff and bear fighting happened so.. impressing story
>>
>>64965068
the last fight by the river was Deadwood-tier.
>>
>>64966931
I think the point the anon is making more is some are complaining that the parts that are 'true' are being complained about as unrealistic or only there for plot convenience.
>>
There is just no escaping the fact that this movie is one giant meme.

>Leo, Hardy and Gleeson, literally the meme trio all they had to do was find something for Fassbender to do and it would have been complete
>the survival scenes were just a series of vignettes rather than a coherent story
>look he eats a raw fish head
>look he sleeps in a fucking horse
>look he cauterizes his fucking neck
>meme cinematography
>muh single take
>muh fogging up the camera lens
>shoving the camera in peoples faces to provide judging criteria for best make-up oscar
>animal CGI firmly planted in the uncanny valley
>apparitions of my dead wife for some reason
>frontier life is hard I tells ya
>>
>>64965068
why do i keep seeing this one same still from the film whenever it is mentioned here?
>>
>>64967383
Fuck you are this autistic
>everything good is a memexdDDxd
>>
>>64965068
I can't get a straight answer: Why did he look at the audience at the end?
>>
>>64967511

I think he felt empty. He got revenge, but it didn't cure his rage. He'll probably become a serial killer soon after the events of the movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>64966833
>I've fought people bigger, stronger, and more tenacious than bears, and if it were me, I would have had the wherewithal to hit that bear properly
>>
>Great score

Is this is joke?

I thought the film was decent but the music the entire way through grated and didn't fit with the scenes at all.
>>
>>64967556

He died shortly after
>>
>>64967618
i never said i fought a bear. but i have fought losing fights and still beat the ever living shit out of the other guy.

if you have never been in a real fight you probably don't understand. leo did not look convincing. he literally looked like he gave up after the second swing.
>>
saw it today and it was boring and pretentious as fuck, I fucking hate Inaritu the beaner hack
>>
How does the screener look?
>>
>>64965068
It being long was great. It added to the character. From his perspective being out there with all those injuries had to feel gruelingly long.
>>
File: homepage_large.e73b04b0.jpg (94KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.e73b04b0.jpg
94KB, 319x319px
>>64967383
is it safe to say to say that you are a meme?

i guess since everything is a meme now.
>>
>>64967687
Literally Reddit: The Opinion
>>
>>64967511
haven't you ever seen Come and See or Memories of a Murderer? (or any of the other films it copied but worse?)

It's formal gesture that implicates the viewer in what has occurred. It has a distancing effect that says to the audience, a la Brecht: everything that happened is not mere fiction, but a reflection of you. Think about why I showed it to you.

And yes, it was completely unnecessary.
>>
>>64967511
So you can see the nothingness in his eyes.
Fitzgerald was right - the revenge didn't bring his son back, and as Glass has previously said it, without his son, he is nothing, an empty shell.
>Revenant: a person who returns as a spirit after death; ghost.
>>
>>64965068
It was alright. I dunno, nothing special but it was nice to look at. Just sorta alright.
>>
>>64966893
>just keep on breathing, as long as you can, never quit

Yeah I'm sure he just jumped off a mountain after that.
>>
>>64967754
I like this answer. I thought it was a look of judgement on the crowd for reveling in his bloodshed, but I guess I viewed it wrong.
>>
>>64967718
literally wrong

it's like birdman all over again, the beaner wants the fedora wearing reddit audience that unironically distinguishes 'movies' from 'films'
>>
>>64967795
He did get stabbed
>>
>>64966920
it's a female bear
>>
>>64967871
>he's never had his balls crushed by a big woman being on top
that's rape in my book.
>>
>>64965068
Great film!
My favourite part was when Leo grunted as he was crawling through the snow
>>
File: aVtr8bL.jpg (364KB, 1024x1102px) Image search: [Google]
aVtr8bL.jpg
364KB, 1024x1102px
>>64967686
>comparing fighting a human to fighting a bear
>>
>>64967819
do people still not 'get' birdman a year after?

look. birdman is a film about a play. about redemption. but it is shot as a play. the shots are 15 minutes long, and the idea is that they had to act like it was a play. and the two real stars are doing redemption characters.

bird man wasn't a great movie, but it was an excellent story and piece of art.
>>
>>64967754
he didn't get revenge though, that's why he says he'll leave that up to "God", or as it turned out, the Indians.
>>
Watching it tonight, I doubt i'll enjoy it more than Bridge of Spies though.
>>
>>64967922
The people that dont get Birdman are the people that its critiquing and making fun of.
>>
>>64967920
nigger if you can't fight a man you can't fight a bear. how many men have you fought?
>>
>>64965068
I thought it sucked. I fell asleep three times watching it.
>>
>>64967935
I get what you are coming from, but Glass chased after, chopped up and pushed Fitzgerald in the river to the Indians, not God...
>>
>>64967977
>>
>>64967922
It's a Batman/Michael Keaton joke disguised as a serious movie
>>
>>64967970

>I doubt i'll enjoy it more than Bridge of Spies though.

You're right, you won't. Bridge of Spies is a completely different but overall superior movie.
>>
>>64968045
you peeled back the first layer of the onion, but you threw it in the sink because you didn't want to cry.
>>
>>64968059
>Bridge of Spies is a completely different but overall superior movie
The second part os completely subjective. I personally liked THe Revenant a lot more than the good ol' Spelberg family drama
>>
>>64968078
Eat jizz cum you pus gargling spastic
>>
>>64968030
how many men have you fought?

did you ever even buck up and push people in jr high?
>>
>>64967676
>shortly after

No, he died 10 years later fighting those goddamn treeniggers at yellow stone
>>
>>64968111
>>
>>64965068
>Watch Leonardo Dicaprio crawl through snow while foaming at the mouth for 2 hours

No fucking thank you.
>>
the way of the future
>>
>>64967511
So you can see his eyes and how he doesn't blink. It's to show he survives yet again.
>>
>>64968242
>I am badmouthing a movie I am actively trying not to know anything about, god forbid actually watch
>>
>>64968242
Thats ok anon. This movie is a pleb filter. Since you're a pleb you wont like it. Im sure there is another showing of Star Wars for you to see.
>>
>>64968021
sure, but the whole arc of the movie is pretty clear:

Glass wants revenge
Meets the Indian who feeds him and tells him "Revenge belongs not to man but to God"
Saves Indian slave
Gets opportunity to have revenge
Heeds Indians words, doesn't take revenge, but it's offered to him anyway by Indians as a karmic gift for saving slave.

That's literally all the film has to say.
>>
>>64967383
I don't think you know what a meme is pard'ner
>>
File: 1441318602592.gif (2MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1441318602592.gif
2MB, 450x253px
>>64967708
>that pic
>>
>>64968369
But I did watch it. He literally crawled through the snow for over half the movie.
>>
>>64968474
There is quite a lot said on willpower and the human instinct of survival. Not to mention the fact the the entire landscape is a metaphor for hell.
>>
>>64965068
tried to watch it twice, gave up shortly after the bear attack both times. didn't care about any of the characters and it just seemed forced and pretentious. i loved Birdman and most of Leo's movies but this just sucks
>>
>>64968579
i'm fairly convinced there is a paid group of people here shilling for leo. they don't care about your arguments.

i have argued over and over in the 10 threads per hour that leo does not deserve an ACTING award, but that the movie is good on other merits. no one responds and another thread is started.

leo did not act well. his green screen shit was utter bullshit and i doubt he has ever been in a fight in his life. most of it was him looking at a camera and breathing hard. he was not a good actor in this movie.

i am convinced that there are actual paid shills here on /tv/ because this is so obvious i have no idea how so many people dispute it.
>>
>>64968600
I'd debate the "quite a lot" qualifier. What exactly does it have to say about those things, except for the tired tenet of "never give up!" and "don't be a dick to Indians!"

It's a film of extraordinary human survival, sure, but the moralist dramaturgy Inarritu forces onto a fairly flat revenge tale is anaemic and hackneyed.
>>
>>64968624
Real question here.
How the fuck does this movie come off as forced and pretentious? I saw this complaint here several times, but I just can't wrap my head around it.
This is the movie that doesn't give a fuck about what you are getting away from it, it just shows you a struggle of a man, up to you whether you struggle with him or walk out of the theatre. Forced and pretentious?
Nah
>>
>>64968722
Honestly I agree. Maybe not paid shills but Leophiles or something, because this movie was firmly "OK" and Leo was forgettable. Tom Hardy's character was much more interesting.
>>
>>64968794
The opening scene is dreamlike, with people walking groggily around a tree with their arms out and the sun in their face while Leo whispers in Indian language. Lots of scenery that is shown way too long. Unrealistic dialogue. The boy is only there to give him motivation to hunt down Fitzgerald (he didn't have an indian son irl), the bear mauling is far too severe to ever survive. The horse getting shot at the beginning is laughable, fake CGI.
>>
>>64968764
Look at all the shit he has to do while trying to survive. Most people just give up. I guess id agree that the concept itself has been overused but i thought it translated the idea on film in the best way ive ever seen.

I also dont think it was ever a liberal interpretation of indians. They fucking savages the entire film. Even at the end.

I disagree about the moralistic intent of the film.
>>
>>64965068
The movie would've been better if like 30 minutes were cut from the middle part.

All the action scenes were amazing, especially the bear, really top notch. And Lubezki is a genius t b h.
>>
>>64968722
I wouldn't say his performance is awful but yeah, it's certainly not worth an acting award. I feel kinda bad for saying that just because of the conditions filming and he ate a raw bison liver which is something, I guess.

But yeah, he really didn't act all that well or different than any of his other movies. It's exactly the same, super high hi's and really low lo's. He can only shout and act distressed or suave and chill as fuck and since he can't do the latter he's perfect for a guy who gets his throat cut out by a bear.

Even when he said his first couple of lines it took me out of the experience a bit just because he's got that cracking yell in every movie and his accent was kinda shit.

Tom Hardy should definitely win supporting though, he was fantastic, I thought. I kinda wish they went with Christian Bale in the lead like they originally planned.
>>
I think the main problem with this film is that I did not feel that the actors/producers/directors were trying to give us the best movie they could, instead, I think they were simply trying to win one or more Oscars. Like, "Will this work well with the Academy?" was something they were thinking continually during shooting.
>>
>>64968916
then you missed the entire point of the movie (and the point of the implicating gaze at the end).

Leo's Golden Globes speech is what the movie is about, morally. It supports the A story, which is that of Glass's real life tale of survival.
>>
Man in the Wilderness is a superior film.
>>
The Revenant is simply the representation of the artistic bankruptcy plaguing the contemporary film industry.

Like Birdman, Iñárritu's last endeavor in hackery, this latest attempt is to convince the masses that what they are viewing is something deep or meaningful, when all it has done is push forward shallow technicality and exaggeration to make the frame pulsate with vulgar loudness. Characters are mere veneers, the cinematography is pretty but so conspicuous as to be rendered aggravating and the thesis is about as overdone as DiCaprio's acting. The camera feels like it has been waiting all day for a climactic shot and the film's deliberately difficult production history is laid bare in the indulgent cinematography.

Thematic complexity and philosophical subtext take a back seat to what amounts to as basically an action movie with action stars wrapped up in the veil of arthouse. And much like Salome, what lies beneath is ultimately puerile, obscene and holding fascination only for adolescents.

Iñárritu is guilty of something far greater than simply making a bad movie. He is guilty for the crime of gestating his pretense and self-importance, forcing many others to labor over it in a misguided attempt to create art and daring to call the afterbirth a film. Perhaps instead of taking his cast and crew to the ends of the Earth in search of a better shot, the Mexican counterfeit filmmaker should have taken his juvenile and crass sensibilities to the seedy San Fernando valley. There he could have at least made a profit of filming all the money shots he wanted.
>>
>>64968722
>le shill meme
>>>/v/
>>
The muh dead wife stuff was annoying but everything else was great, Tom Hardy stole the show.
Amongst the constant stream of franchised shit from Hollywood its a breath of fresh air. Fuck the memers itt who are complaining.
>>
>>64969038
This pasta is puerile, obscene, and holding fascination only for adolescents.
>>
File: 1287736083971.png (4KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
1287736083971.png
4KB, 120x120px
>people criticize Leo for overacting
>people love Hardy for overacting
>>
Boring ass movie if there ever was one.

Also, why the hell did they leave his incapacitated body in the care of the one man that obviously wants him dead? Dumbest decision I've seen in recent movie memory.
>>
>>64969845
because that's what happened in real life...
>>
>>64969999
NOOOO I MISSED THE GET BY 1

worst day of my life
>>
What was Hardy's accent?

Is that a historical American accent? Sounded like Pennsylvania mixed with Appalachian.

I appreciate the dedication if so.
>>
>>64969845
The Captain was going to shoot him not 30 seconds before that decision was made. Glass's death was a foregone conclusion considering the circumstances. Why would the Captain be surprised that the money hungry fucker would volunteer once money was involved?

Ultimately, the Captain was just glad he didn't have to kill Glass himself. He would have lived on in happiness if he had never found out.
>>
>>64965068
Lots of critics said that the movie had lots of "How did they do that?" moments?
I liked the movie a lot but I didnt really see any mindblowing moments outside of the final fight that simply looked very well made.
What were the "how did they do that?" moments and why?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x310px
>>64965068

Apparently the real Hugh Glass never had an Indian son. That was added into the movie to make him more SJW-friendly I guess. Also, he never killed Fitzgerald. As soon as Fitz gave back the rifle he stole from Hugh, he was forgiven.

Glass just really wanted his gun back.
>>
>>64970380
>What were the "how did they do that?" moments and why?
The part where Leo's on horseback shooting Frenchmen who are also on horseback was pretty amazing honestly.
>>
>>64970380
>What were the "how did they do that?" moments and why?
The entire movie, People were wondering how did they make it so terrible.
>>
>>64970313
>Why would the Captain be surprised...
Because he had to break up a near fight with them a scene earlier. Now he's suddenly glad to leave Glass with a guy that hates him when he himself values Glass and his services. Why would he leave him with some guy who only cares about money and make him promise to properly bury a guy he hates?!
>>
>>64970422
That and the opening fight sequence where the camera goes from stationary to ride-along with the Indian guy on horseback was pretty dope.
>>
>>64966893
He dies
There's no way he lives, after all that shit and he's too weak to walk and there's nobody else around.

People can prolong their deaths until after some important event, this is a real phenomenon. The movie makes it clear he should be dead already.
>>
>>64970508
That guy was badass but he got killed so easily. I wish the opening battle was longer and we got more "moments" from Fitzgerald and Glass.
>>
>>64970577
It's incredibly clear that be lives.
>As long as you breath, you can fight
>Movie heavily emphasizes his breathing throughout
>Leo's breathing is heard well into the credits
>>
I wasn't really high on the movie as I was watching it but now that it's been a few hours it's practically all I am thinking about right now. It definitely left an impression.
>>
>>64970577
Again: all this shit literally, in real life, actually happened to Glass, and he lived for another ten years. there is no ambiguity in the film that he lived or died. he lived.
>>
Blood Meridian + Bear Grylls: the film
>>
>>64970801

>Again: all this shit literally, in real life, actually happened to Glass

Except his son wasn't killed and he never killed Fitzgerald.
>>
>>64970419
Glass also was never attacked by Indian tribes. Instead he was helped by them along the way, with one tribe stitching the bear hide into his back to seal his wounds. He also rode a raft for most of the journey. Maybe some of the changes were needed to make it more dramatic instead of appease quotas. Except that bear hide thing, that would have been cool. And he supposedly only spared Fitzgerald because killing a soldier would have gotten himself killed. He didn't seem to care much either way, but if he had killed Glass' son it would have certainly tipped him over.
>>
>>64970908
I never said everything in the film happened in real life, only the things that people are calling out as unrealistic

>no one could survive a bear attack!
>the injun helping him was a plot device!
>he couldn't have made his way that far with his injuries, he must've died!

etc
>>
>>64969038

This is the most pretentious review of anything I've ever read. and I thought the Revenant was 'okay'.
>>
Am I the only one who genuinely found it difficult to understand half the dialogue? I found it especially bad for the first half until Fitzgerald stays back with Glass. It wasn't until later that I was able to piece together stuff they were talking about in the beginning.
>>
So if he never had an injun son, fitzgerald couldn't have killed him. So what would he be upset with fitzgerald over?
>>
>>64971375
It was hard to hear sometimes because the dialogue audio would just channels depending on where a character was standing from the perspective of another character. Pretty jarring at first but you get used to it.
>>
>>64971433
>>64971375

please be honest with me- is this a meme? i had no issue with the dialogue. are you not american?
>>
There was never a moment in any movie I've ever seen, including gore shit I've seen on 4chan, but my stomach lurched when they turned Glass on his side fresh after the bear attack and showed his bleeding lacerations on his back.

There was an audible groan from the audience in my theater.
>>
>>64971668
my theater (in brooklyn if you're interested) groaned pretty much any time something violent happened- showing the wounds, the hand bite during the bear fight, fitz getting his fingers lopped off.

didn't bother me though 2BH, made it pretty fun. it was a small theater so it wasn't too loud
>>
>>64971668
People only groaned in the cauterize scene
>>
>>64971647
No this isn't a meme or anything. There was something off for the first part of the movie, almost like the background music was too loud or they just mumbled a lot because I just physically couldn't make out half the words they said. It was most troubling after they got off the boat and Fitzgerald was arguing. But later on it got better
>>
>>64971844
where are you from?
>>
>>64971668
The part where the bear took a swipe at Leo's throat and he stuck his tongue out got me pretty good. The cauterize scene wasn't bad. I actually laughed at Fitz's response to losing fingers.
>Gad-DAMMIT
>>
>>64971844
I dunno man I understood it all fine.

I'm accustomed to the accents already though for living in the south
>>
>>64971668

My audience was composed of 99% old people, my friends and I, and exactly one 15 year old who must have snuck in or something. All were totally quiet throughout the movie.
>>
I love how he really tracked, baited, and cornered Fitzgerald like an animal. That was the best part of the movie easily. It was rough getting there but the whole final sequence elevated the movie.
>>
>>64971874
Born in USA, Cali but now live in Australia. My girlfriend thought the same thing as me
>>
>>64971668
I wish they had included a scene of him putting his back on a log so the maggots would eat the dead flesh off his wounds like he did in real life. Seems odd to leave that bit out considering it's pretty fucking badass.

>>64971790
kek, no one in my theater reacted until he lit the gunpowder and someone from the back yelled "what the fuck did he do?"
I guess audiences are too retarded to know what cauterizing is.
>>
>>64971940
>It was rough getting there but the whole final sequence elevated the movie.
totally agree, reminded me of shawshank
>>
>>64971940

I loved it. The fact that Glass needed the Indians to kill Fitzgerald for him kind of rubs me the wrong way, though. Why would they even care?
>>
>>64965068
It's a stupid white man making grunting sounds.
>>
>>64971959
>I wish they had included a scene of him putting his back on a log so the maggots would eat the dead flesh off his wounds like he did in real life. Seems odd to leave that bit out considering it's pretty fucking badass.

c'mon, really? people are already calling out most of the stuff that actually happened as too unrealistic, putting that in would've been too much. it would've seen like they were going for shock factor. i totally get why they left it out
>>
>>64965068

My friends and I got into a minor argument about this after the movie ended: was shooting the bear smart or not?

I said yes because it seemed like the bear was coming back to eat him.

They said that the bear probably would have just left if Glass hadn't shot it.
>>
>>64972008
Fitzgerald hates Indians and fears what they did to him. He even gets freaked out by someone scratching a canteen because it sounds like his scalping. Getting fed to Indians is a suitable punishment.
>>
>>64972038

>Movies should be made based on what plebs will think
>>
>>64971940
I hate Inarritu and found most of Revenant tolerable but not particularly relevatory, but I gotta admit that entire sequence was one of the best Western showdowns in years. Perhaps decades.
>>
>>64972077

>Fitzgerald is bad for disliking Indians that mutilated him and killed 95% of his co-workers

Fitzgerald does a lot of bad things. That's not one of them.
>>
>>64972162
what I liked best about it is that never have I ever felt more like watching two real men actually fighting to kill the other
>>
>>64972038
I guess but it's hilarious what people will take seriously and what they won't

He actually did put his back against a log to prevent gangrene, but that's too much. He didn't really meet a friendly random indian who used running boar magic to heal his rotting body in a bear sauna but that's just fine.
>>
>>64972166
I'm just saying that Glass just killing him outright wouldn't feel like "justice" so giving him to the Indians feels more right.
>>
>>64972008
he didn't need them to kill him, he left it up to outside forces. see my previous post: >>64968474

it's a payoff for the events that happened beforehand, a kind of anti-colonial justice.
>>
File: mfw_whiplash.webm (2MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_whiplash.webm
2MB, 720x304px
>>64965068

I was going into it knowing I would like it. Surpassed my expectations. Of all the aspects that I loved the one that stood out most was the sound design/music. It would have been even better if PEOPLE WOULD SHUT THE FUCK IN THE GOD DAM THEATER HOLY FUCK!

> Movie starts
> Atmospheric long take
> Amazing sounds of the forest, wind and trikling water
> Assholes behind me a few seats over are FUCKING TALKING OVER it

> Scene where Leo "shoots" the elk with his walking stick
> Retarded girl behind me
> ...Ooo, It's a stick, It's a stick, a stick

> Mfw all movie long

Why the fuck do you go to the FUCKING REVENANT AND TALK DURNING THE MOVIE?!
>>
saw it earlier.

Cinematography and music was fantastic, especially that ominous three-beat theme throughout the film.

Leo did great in playing something different. Not a rich playboy lady's man but a haggard old man with a burning desire for vengeance. However it fell short with his dialogue primarily revolving around grunts and moans, and the same pained expression on his face.

Harry's characterization was pretty poor; one-dimensional and was overly simple.

The pacing got pretty slow especially around the middle. For a movie under three hours I felt as if it exceeded four. The violence felt pretty real and cringed at a few parts, unlike the garbage in capeshit.

Overall I'd give it a 2.5/4
>>
>>64972228

>I'm just saying that Glass just killing him outright wouldn't feel like "justice"

Why not?
>>
>>64972249
>> Scene where Leo "shoots" the elk with his walking stick
>> Retarded girl behind me
>> ...Ooo, It's a stick, It's a stick, a stick
Jesus Christ some old woman said the same fucking thing at my showing. It was one of the few moments of subtlety in the movie too. And it was ruined by people who treat the movie theater like their living room.
>>
>>64972249
>Why the fuck do you go to the FUCKING REVENANT AND TALK DURNING THE MOVIE?!
to watch leo senpai :3

if anyone else would have played him, the public interest wold be half
>>
>>64972272
Because Fitzgerald wasn't giving him the satisfaction, taunting Glass as he was bleeding out. Glass took away his chances of dying with dignity by letting the Ree finish the scalping.
>>
>>64972256
Also I'll admit that the slow pacing was good to describe the slow grueling journey; however it just felt a bit too long to keep the audience engaged
>>
>>64972256

The pacing was actually a lot faster than I was expecting. I thought this was going to be a pure survivalist movie with a fight at the beginning, a fight at the end, and nothing but gritty wilderness survival in between.
>>
>>64968361
Caspere knew this.
>>
File: 1428551717109.jpg (18KB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
1428551717109.jpg
18KB, 240x260px
>>64966833
Leo and the beaner watched like 20 actual bear attacks to do the scene accurately. You are a faggot and assuming you would be a big tough guy while a bear is eating you, meanwhile that scene probably is very close to the reality.
>>
>>64972384
>however it just felt a bit too long to keep the audience engaged
I dont kow about the general audience but for me it was still ok, I definitely willl never watch an extended cut version of it though
>>
>>64972456
I didn't have any problems with it. My mother and a few people sitting close by fell asleep during the second act.
>>
Was the CGI bear nominated for anything?
>>
>>64972456
I thought it was fine, but then again I knew beforehand what I was getting into.
>>
>>64965068
Is Revenant part of the Tarantino verse?
Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basters said he was a descendent of Jim Bridger who is the kid in Revenant.
>>
>>64972594
Best Actress
>>
>>64972356
Bullshit. The movie deserves all the hype it got and more, and I say that as someone who didn't even know that was dicaprio until after the movie.
>>
>>64972630
that kid was a fucking wuss though. FItzgerald was clearly the pissy beta male of the trappers and Bridger practically let him fuck his sister.
>>
>>64972660
>The movie deserves all the hype it got and more
im not sying that it doesnt I'm saying it would have gotten far less hype if he didnt, because he's popular
>who didn't even know that was dicaprio until after the movie.
you're fucking joking right?
>>
>>64972526
that's what moms do though. my dad fell asleep during mad max lol
>>
>Leo stares awkwardly into the camera at the end
>like hes saying "now can I have an Oscar, pls?"
>>
File: A310toyuma-008.jpg (205KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
A310toyuma-008.jpg
205KB, 500x447px
Ben Foster played High Glass instead of Leo.

Is the movie better or worse?
>>
File: jonas brother.jpg (91KB, 427x560px) Image search: [Google]
jonas brother.jpg
91KB, 427x560px
>>64972594
He was angry that they didn't get him sandwiches
>>
>>64972735
>>64972660

My mom falls asleep during every movie, even ones that she wanted to see the most.
>>
the bear looked great, am I who only one who thinks the movement of it was kinda whacky though?
>>
>>64972744
My only complaint about the entire movie. I thought the exact same thing.
>>
>>64972727
I am not. Had no clue who that was until the credits. I saw the movie with family because they wanted to go. I had seen a trailer for it and remember wanting to see it and that it was about the frontier but that's about it.
>>
>>64972817
I thought it summed up the whole movie nicely. One giant Oscar grab.
>>
>>64972819
>Had no clue who that was until the credits
is it the first time you watched a movie he's in or are you legally blind?
>>
>>64972849
considering the EPs flat out admitted they only made this movie for awards prestige, were you really surprised?
>>
>>64965068
>produced by Brett Ratner
Trash.
>>
>>64972450
but it isn't. have you ever actually been attacked by anything?

leo gives up after 2 swings. i have been on the losing end of a few fights and every single one of them broke some ribs.

either you don't care about yourself at all or you have never been in an actual losing fight.
>>
>>64972933

source?
>>
>>64973050
Look everyone it's le my anecdote trumps all man
>>
>>64973146
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/revenant-producers-alejandro-g-inarritu-834442
>>
File: 1435400586743.jpg (7KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
1435400586743.jpg
7KB, 255x200px
>>64973050
>lying on the Internet

but why?
>>
>>64965068
Just saw the film. It was really a transcendental experience, and I've never used that term for a movie before.

The acting was on par with any big typical Oscar bait, except this film had substance and wasn't just trying to go for an academy award, the brilliance is in its simplicity of direction and the honesty in the experiences it tries to represent.

The story was set up in a way that you could believe, and wasn't just some forced, arbitrary set of events. The film takes you on a visual journey from start to finish with a haunting sound-track that boosts the ambient scenery and background into something like that of a dramatic stage-play, where it becomes as valuable and as influential of a character as the actors themselves, which is good because there are a lot of scenes where land-scape shots are presented, which in a way tell the mood of the characters themselves.

The long shots of action sequences made all of the action, but also the drama, much more compelling as you had few quick cuts except during the dream sequences, which were emotionally charged and gave you the feeling that you were with the character, experiencing this tragedy with them, and gave you personal insight into what drove them. The way it was shot lent itself more to poetry than how one would expect a screenplay to read and was truly a shining moment for cinema as a medium.

All of this is in earnest belief, and if you think I'm joking, you clearly haven't seen the film.
>>
>>64973187

Where does it say they made the movie solely for awards? I've perused the article (and I've actually read it before)—nothing backs your claim.
>>
>>64965068
FUCKING HACKS!
>IMDB trivia: Shot only with natural light, but there is one exception according to cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki: A campfire sequence at night where the wind was causing the fire to pulse in a distracting way. "We had to lay a bunch of light bulbs around the fire to create a cushion of light," Lubezki admits. "That's all the light we used." [16 Dec. 2015, Variety]
>>
>>64973298
that one scene where the Injun talks to the Frenchman about horses had a weird campfire. It looks like it was slowed down or something. totally distracting.
>>
I hadn't heard the slang treenigger before this movie
Chuckled internally when fitzgerald said it
>>
>>64973224
Who the fuck are you? Piss off, tripfag
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
*salivates*
WAAHHHRAAGGUUHHHHHHHHH
*widens eyes*
UHHHAAAAAAGGHHHAAAAAHHWUAAAAHHH
*grits teeth*
RRRHHAWWWAAAAAAAH LOOOOK AT MEEEEE
*contorts body*
WWWWWHFF AAAAAAAAAAAHH LOOOOK
*mumbles about his son*
LOOK AT ME I'M ACTING WAAAHGGAHAGGGHHHH
*stares at camera*
>>
>>64973703
>baiting this hard

Based Leonardo doesn't need an Oscar.
>>
Just got back from the theater.

Loved this movie. Was long, but didn't feel drawn out to me. Ending could've been better, but I'm fine with it as it is.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
>>64965068

>his name is Glass, but he's unbreakable

It's like pottery
>>
>>64973703

I hope he pulls a Brando, but to be fair, he's always been up against some amazing competition.

>>64973914

What didn't you like about the ending?
>>
>>64967383
>things are memes

Correct!
>>
>>64973224
This isn't your blog
>>
File: gigglin.gif (1MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
gigglin.gif
1MB, 290x189px
>>64967383
>>
>>64974109
#REKT
>>
>>64966501
Fact that he just happens to get in between a she bear and her cubs seems pretty convenient as well.
>>
>>64974109
Sorry, I mistook this board as a place for serious discussion, won't happen again.
>>
>>64970442
Get a load of this pleb
>>
>>64974207

If you find a better place to discuss things, let us know. /tv/ is getting pretty bad for anything not meme-related.
>>
Here's the question, how the hell did the captain and his group survive going over the mountain? One scene we see them in is them on top of a snowy mountaintop with no end in sight and then the next is them back at camp
>>
>>64973224
trip fagging it up I see.

Would have actually read your TL/DR and maybe responded, but unfortuantely you made a mistake only the most subhuman retards on 4chan EVER make: you chose to trip fag yourself down the stairs. There's even a fucking guardrail there. Either this is your FIRST POST EVER on 4chan, in which case you really need to lurk more, or you already know how much of a faggot you are being and are so fucking autistic and special-snowflake you don't care that it makes you look like the fucking duct tape bandit.
>>
>>64971375
I thought I was the only one.

English is my second language though
>>
>>64974167
>>64974264
it's not the amount of words, it's the use of a trip,

you know, like an asshole would do.
>>
>>64974395
>Either this is your FIRST POST EVER on 4chan

Why, are you too stupid to look through the archives?
>>
>>64965068
it's like a mexican dude saw oldboy and said i could make that
>>
>>64967214
That's not his point, he his trying to justify the exagerated scenes by saying it happen in real life.
Which is absurd.
>>
I went with my friends who chose to see this over hateful eight. But then they fell asleep in the theatre and claimed the film was too long and nothing happened.
>>
>>64973224
>substance
What do you mean by substance?

>The story was set up in a way that you could believe, and wasn't just some forced, arbitrary set of events.
You're right, I liked it when Glass started talking magically after crawling towards his son's body when a day earlier he couldn't even open his mouth. The part where he started walking in about a week when his foot was twisted the other way around was also believable. And don't get me started on how he managed to survive a 100 foot fall into a snowy tree without any of his wounds opening or him cracking another bone. Because I wanted to jump up from my seat and congratulate Inarritu for knowing how physics and the human body works.

>something like that of a dramatic stage-play
Remind me again of the last stage-play you saw that was set across a vast expanse of snowy wilderness. Bergman made filmed plays, not this John Ford wannabe Mexican.

>The long shots of action sequences made all of the action
>the dream sequences, which were emotionally charged and gave you the feeling that you were with the character, experiencing this tragedy with them, and gave you personal insight into what drove them
I'm not even going to ask why you had to say such obvious baloney.

>The way it was shot lent itself more to poetry than how one would expect a screenplay to read
Wait, I thought this was a dramatic stage-play.
>>
>>64967383
you're talking about tropes, not memes.
>>
>>64973147
>shitposting
Not helping your argument, dude.
>>
>>64974512
What movies do you enjoy?
>>
It was a very reddit movie
I haven't seen it but all this discussion about this flick just screams reddit, I hate it
>>
File: bear.jpg (32KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
32KB, 450x338px
The bear will win the best actor award.
>>
>>64974486
>exaggerated scenes

What was exaggerated? It all seemed relatively grounded, if you can suspend your disbelief for the miraculous-ness of nature and the human spirit.

The film was supposed to have taken place over a very long course of time, not sure how long, maybe a couple months.

>>64974488
Your "friends" sound like dude-bro faggots.
>>
>>64974563
Good ones
>>
>>64973703
How has no one shooped him crawling towards an Oscar that is slightly out of his reach yet?
>>
>>64974647
Like Star Wars?
>>
>>64966931
In real life, I don't think Fitzgerald actively tried to murder him. It was just simple fucking off in the middle of the cold, leaving him there.

I had to keep telling myself it's not the true story, it's not the true story.
>>
>>64974605
>What was exaggerated? It all seemed relatively grounded, if you can suspend your disbelief for the miraculous-ness of nature and the human spirit.

Maybe exaggareted was the wrong word. What I'm trying to say here, is that the other guy was trying to justify some of the scenes and plot of the movie that didn't happen based on the fact this was a real life situation.
And you can't actually do that, it's trying to justify fiction.
But that's just my opinion, the movie was good, and I loved Tom Hardy.
>>
>>64972049
I was thinking he should have just played dead at first since it was protecting it's cubs. When I realized it was a grizzly I changed my mind and decided it was probably his best option.
>>
>>64974687
Why do you think Star Wars is good?
>>
damn, saw this opening night. Can't wait for Chivo Lubezki to get his 3rd consecutive oscar for this, the cinematography brought this to greatness (IMO it woulda just been pretty good without the supplement of the cinematography to create a solid atmosphere and help engage you during the battle sequences). really liked this one
>>
>>64974358
No ones got an answer to my question?
>>
>>64974705
Please don't respond to tripfags
>>
>>64974810
Ok, anon. I learned my lesson
>>
>>64974512
>What do you mean by substance
Compared to other dramatic films, this had sense of raw realism to it, where the actors were responding to their environments and the events that happened, they weren't trying to just "drum up" emotion on the spot because the script says to be sad here.

>You're right, I liked it when Glass started talking magically after crawling towards his son's body when a day earlier he couldn't even open his mouth
If you consider that "talking". Adrenaline, especially when it's fueled with rage and anger you've probably never felt in your life. And it was probably longer than that, the time lapses were subjective, you couldn't tell how much time was passing, which I think was the aim of the director, to show all of it blend together like a delirious dream.
>continues on with abunch of easily explainable nonsense
I don't have the space in this comment to tell you how you're wrong, but you are.

>Remind me again of the last stage-play you saw that was set across a vast expanse of snowy wilderness
Love how you took my quote out of context. I was making a remark about the characters, and the long shots that focused on them, and how plays have sets that are built/made to reflect the characters and the mood, much like here.
>bergman
"Hoo hoo, here my pretentious opinion, hoo hoo!"

>Wait, I thought this was a dramatic stage-play.
Congrats on being so simple-minded you cannot make comparisons between separate aspects of a piece. Does someone say that a cake reminds him of one thing and one thing only, or does each part of that cake, the icing, the outer crust, the inner fluff, all have a different meaning and texture that makes it come together as something else entirely?

Please, if you're going to come at me with such simple-minded strategies, I suggest you go for something clever, not something mundane and unimaginative as that.
>>
>>64966931
He forgave Fitzgerald ONLY because of the consequences of murdering a US solider outweighed getting revenge. He forgave Jim because of his age at the time, which is relatively close to what happens in the film. Fitz bullies Jim into doing it because he's young and inexperienced, and also lies to him.
>>
>>64974735
Ot wise its got interesting characters, meaningful action scenes and a sense of wonder beyond our universe. Prequel wise because George Lucas is insane and it makes the movies fun in a ridiculous sort of way (they're not really technically good though). Tfa wise because it recaptured the sense of adventure present in a new hope but had enough new in it to make it enjoyable, hopefully they don't keep rehashing the ot though.

What do you think is good?
>>
>>64974864
>I don't have the space in this comment to tell you how you're wrong, but you are.
This is the level that tripfags operate on.
>>
File: 1408117967880.png (316KB, 629x464px) Image search: [Google]
1408117967880.png
316KB, 629x464px
It's Leo's character's fault being mauled by the bear the second time. If he didn't reach for the gun the bear would have walked away with her cubs.
>>
he aint getting an oscar though
>>
>>64974864
holy shit, I loved the movie but your autism levels makes me WANT to hate it now
>>
>>64968192
don't stop lol
>>
>>64974937
It was just a bunch of words thrown together about how he couldn't suspend his disbelief for an injured character doing anything other than being an injured character. He wasn't a prop, he was a person, who lost everything and over-came an obstacle, within just barely reasonable proportion.
>>
>>64974993
Why would I care what you think?
>>
File: 1452261520968.png (243KB, 462x309px) Image search: [Google]
1452261520968.png
243KB, 462x309px
Can't believe this movie has all sorts of violence and gore but god forbid we see any savage bush and titties in this.
>>
>>64974966
Seriously though, what is the best thing to do in that situation? Play dead and hope it doesn't come back?
>>
>>64974605
On the way home one of them said, "How did the indians have time to get to the captain and scalp him before Leo found his body?"

But they're not really dude bros, just really big nerds.
>>
Anyone know where they shot a majority of the film? Want to explore some of that wilderness
>>
>>64974966
Sometimes animals just want to fuck with you. Look at elephants or hippos.
>>
>>64975085
>how did the Indians have time to get to the captain and scalp him before leo found his body?

My assumption was that Fitzgerald did it, since he was clearly an insane psychopathic cannibal who was really capable of anything at that point in the film.
>>
>>64974966
I was wondering how an pro like glass could let a bear get the jump on him like that.

I guess shit happens though
>>
>>64975083
I blame western religion. Seriously.
>>
>>64975104
A soundstage in LA.
>>
>>64966833
You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>64974864

I really never say this, but you honestly sound like some faggot on /r/atheism making up trite quotes for upvotes when you say things like:

>Please, if you're going to come at me with such simple-minded strategies, I suggest you go for something clever, not something mundane and unimaginative as that.

>Congrats on being so simple-minded

>"Hoo hoo, here my pretentious opinion, hoo hoo!"

>I don't have the space in this comment to tell you how you're wrong, but you are.

>Adrenaline, especially when it's fueled with rage and anger you've probably never felt in your life.

Are you incapable of constructing an argument without letting your asspain overshadow reason? If you want to see a good argument for The Revenant being a great movie, start reading here: http://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/64664280/#q64666786

That anon actually manages to not come across as a faggot and has support in the thread, unlike you. It's probably because he comes across as informed rather than as an angry dick who can't handle disagreement.
>>
>>64975145
Man you're boring
>>
>>64975083

I personally was disappointed that we didn't get to see Leo's penis.
>>
>>64975133
Ya obviously, I was trying to say that that guy was stupid for not figuring that much out.
>>
>>64967686
Holy shit.

Go get attacked by a bear.
>>
>>64973050
>Gives up after two swings

Please forgive him for not continuing to pound his bare fists in futile against an animal that was mauling him. Also, did you watch the rest of the movie? He fucking shoots it and then stabs the shit out of it. Get out of here, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: kek.gif (3MB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
3MB, 320x272px
>>64975185

>Leo emerging from the horse naked signifies his rebirth
>>
>>64975158
>Are you incapable of constructing an argument without letting your asspain overshadow reason?

From the looks of your post, it seems you're incapable of actually using reason to counter any of what I said, and are going strictly for the ad hominem. My comments may have attacked your character and intelligence, but they were only compliments towards my overall statements.

Here's a pro tip, if you want to disagree with someone, don't cry about having someone respond to you.
>>
>>64974864
>Compared to other dramatic films, this had sense of raw realism to it, where the actors were responding to their environments and the events that happened, they weren't trying to just "drum up" emotion on the spot because the script says to be sad here.
I guess that's a very poor explanation for all the dream sequences that were hammering home the message of "Look, poor Leo his pure nature loving Indian wife was taken from him, so sad please insert tears." Good filmmakers know the art of nuance and subtlety and that's something idiots like Leo, Inarritu or yourself have to look up in a dictionary.

>Adrenaline, especially when it's fueled with rage and anger you've probably never felt in your life
How much did your katana cost?

>I was making a remark about the characters, and the long shots that focused on them, and how plays have sets that are built/made to reflect the characters and the mood, much like here.
What was here? Snow, snow and more snow? Reflecting their isolation, or something? And spliced with some shots of trees blatantly copying Lubezki's own work from The Tree of Life? Don't get me wrong, it was pretty to look at, but there was no deeper meaning to the setting beyond the surface level of a hostile wilderness.

>"Hoo hoo, here my pretentious opinion, hoo hoo!"
Don't blame me for you being cinematically illiterate. The Revenant is as much a play as Transformers is. This isn't inherently bad, but there are directors whose aesthetic was filming essentially staged plays.

>Congrats on being so simple-minded you cannot make comparisons between separate aspects of a piece. Does someone say that a cake reminds him of one thing and one thing only, or does each part of that cake, the icing, the outer crust, the inner fluff, all have a different meaning and texture that makes it come together as something else entirely?
Don't even know what you're saying now.
>>
>>64975263
>attacks others' intelligence
>doesn't know the difference between compliment and complement

I'm not even arguing with you. I love the movie. You're just coming across as a retard. Try applying yourself instead of being delusional about how smart you are.
>>
>>64967686
>>64975200
>>64975135
>>64975084

You should always ask the bear to kindly stop bothering you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0
>>
So what time period did this take place in? I'm assuming they were in the north western portion of the United States due to the map. The mention of the Sioux indians and the few mentions of "re-enlisting" makes me think that this takes place between the civil war and the general events that took place with Mac Arthur's last stand.

Then what would that make Fitzgerald? An Ex-confederate soldier? An ex-union soldier? It wouldn't make sense for him to be either because he wouldn't really be re-enlisting into the US army if he was a rebel, and he doesn't seem like a union soldier because his family comes from Texas.

Which makes me also think that this could've taken place before the civil war, but were people that far out west before 1861?
>>
>>64975316
It's actually a documentary about the Ozarks.
>>
>>64975104
Bunch of locations in Canada I believe.
>>
File: torsion.jpg (22KB, 298x387px) Image search: [Google]
torsion.jpg
22KB, 298x387px
>>64975316
It's set in the future
>>
>>64975278
>I guess that's a very poor explanation for all the dream sequences that were hammering home the message of "Look, poor Leo his pure nature loving Indian wife was taken from him, so sad please insert tears."

And I guess that's a very poor trivialization of the fact that it was a way of explaining his past without straight up telling it to the audience, but I'm sure you would've preferred Rey, sitting in the sand making space-ship noises while wearing a pilot helmet. That's the kind of characterization that just makes your dick get hard, doesn't it?

>How much did your katana cost?
Oh, I didn't realize we were memeing, here let me; "how about you go get your trilby for your basement theater while you watch Bergman films, you fat neckbeard *snort snort*"

>What was here? Snow, snow and more snow? Reflecting their isolation, or something?
>trivialization
>trivialization
>trivialization
If you don't appreciate mood setting and atmosphere, fine, just don't bitch about it when people point out your flawed opinion about how a movie uses images to portray what's happening, you retarded faggot.

>Don't blame me for you being cinematically illiterate.
That post would make sense if I didn't know who Bergman was, but we've already established you have no idea what you're talking about. Say, what's your favorite scene from a Bergman film?

>Don't get me wrong, it was pretty to look at, but there was no deeper meaning to the setting beyond the surface level of a hostile wilderness
If that's all you saw, that's on you. Not sure what you want me to do about it, since I got a lot more out of it than you did apparently.

>Don't even know what you're saying now.
k
>>
>>64975316
Basically, this fellow was part of a trapping expedition that moved up the Missouri River system. The party was attacked by Arikara (called “Ree” in the movie) in May of 1823 and Glass was injured in the leg. Then in August of that same year, Glass was hunting around Grand River and was mauled by a bear.
>>
>>64975316

Imagine how much time you would've saved if you had just googled "The Revenant setting."

>Set in 1823 Montana and South Dakota

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revenant_%282015_film%29

http://collider.com/the-revenant-filming-details-inarritu/
>>
>>64975415
>And I guess that's a very poor trivialization of the fact that it was a way of explaining his past without straight up telling it to the audience, but I'm sure you would've preferred Rey, sitting in the sand making space-ship noises while wearing a pilot helmet. That's the kind of characterization that just makes your dick get hard, doesn't it?
>if you didn't like this movie, you are obviously a Star Wars fan
If you want to operate at this level, go ahead. Not even going to read what you wrote next because like the other nicely said, you're just coming across as a retard. Enjoy your pretend arthouse.
>>
>>64967871
> women can't rape men
spotted the feminist
>>
>all of these faggots acting like the ending was inconclusive or ambiguous
Y'all are some dumb

It's based on a true story you niggers, the guy survives.
>>
File: 633[1].gif (4MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
633[1].gif
4MB, 320x180px
>>64975415
>just don't bitch about it when people point out your flawed opinion about how a movie uses images to portray what's happening, you retarded faggot.
>>
>>64975316

Based on the real historical events that inspired the film, the plot begins in 1823.
>>
>>64975415
>If you don't appreciate mood setting and atmosphere
No, but seriously. How was the setting and atmosphere related to what the characters did?
>>
>>64975464
>if you didn't like this movie, you are obviously a Star Wars fan

>you're clearly an illiterate who's never seen Bergman's work

Oh, okay, you're a hypocrite. Glad we got that out of the way.
>>
>>64975464

I hate that the anon you're arguing with has the same taste as me, but "pretend arthouse" and all the other condemnations are overboard. In no way does arthouse have to be "2deep4u." An artist you referred to, Bergman, is known for lots of symbolism, as are directors like Tarkovsky and Kariostami. But then there are people like Ray, Ozu, Welles, Hitchcock, Allen, Fellini, Soderbergh, and so on who tell grounded, humanist stories.

The Revenant is an excellent movie; it's also about survival. The fact it isn't layered in a way that would make Kubrick or Lynch's head spin doesn't mean it's not as valid of an artistic endeavor.

You're, of course, free to dislike it, but to not recognize its merits is disappointingly willful ignorance.
>>
>>64975540
Do you enjoy shitposting?
>>
>>64975532
I'd have to watch it again to get all my thoughts completely in order, as it was more of an experience than it was a structured story with a clear message.

It was very interpretable, which I appreciated.
>>
>>64975491

>It's based on a true story you niggers, the guy survives.

The real Hugh Glass survived (until he was killed by the Ree later on) by this fictional account diverges from the real story is several significant ways, so it really isn't a stretch to believe that this fictional Hugh Glass will die of his injuries very shortly after the events of the movie.

From my perspective, the ending with Leo staring into the camera seemed to strongly imply that he wasn't gonna make it.
>>
>>64975591
Jesus Christ, you really are an idiot.
>>
>>64975578
I'll tell you when I start.
>>
>>64975628
>being a hypocrite
>>
>>64975614
Hmmmm, why, because I'm smarter than you and that offends you?

It's okay, take your time, I know it's hard for you to type long messages.

>>64975572
>I hate that the anon you're arguing with has the same taste as me

>responding to yourself

Kekadoodle doo.
>>
>>64975658
>ask to clarify his reasoning
>he has none so he just shitposts
I actually feel ashamed for liking the same movie as you.
>>
>>64975645
>quality post
>>
>>64975596

The ending scene strongly reminded me of Gladiator's ending. I believe Glass was essentially a specter of vengeance, and upon completing what he set out to do, he was content with reuniting with his loved ones in the afterlife. It would be congruent with his spiritual journey and parallels his son's arc (survives earlier only to eventually be killed).

>>64975658
>responding to yourself
>Kekadoodle doo.

Looks like you've started.
>>
>>64975694
>reply
>>
>>64975628
>>64975658
Can you just drop the fucking tripcode already you attention hungry dipshit?
>>
>>64965068
>meme cinematography
>meme music
>meme composers
>meme actor
>meme acting
>meme length

it's barely even a flick desu senpai
>>
>>64975591
You could've just said I don't know.
>>
>>64975689
>I respond calmly and civilly about how my finer thoughts on the film are still very amorphous
>get insulted

>hurr he has none

You wouldn't even deserve it at this point anyway. You're just an angry child. Lol, grow up for fucks sake.

>>64975689
So do I.
>>
>>64975658

When multiple strangers tell you you're a dumb, unlikable faggot, you should probably reexamine what you believe to be true about yourself.
>>
>>64975778

So you're a manchild with a fragile ego, then. Otherwise, I don't understand why you feel the need to stoop to the level of shitposting and desperately vying for the last word instead of making your point and moving on.
>>
>>64975778
>grow up for fucks sake.
>says the person who enjoys Oscar bait
Can't wait to ignore your reply to this. You just love to keep on going when you've been utterly destroyed haven't you? Literally worse than a shit smearing toddler.
>>
>>64975774
Why would I say that? Am I to be under the impression I'm an idiot like you?

Sorry, but I let films sit a while before going too in depth because there's more to think about than just images.
>>
>>64967935
>leave it up to god
>indians kill him
>indians are closer to god than white men

it's like pottery
>>
>>64975869
>why did you like it
> LOL I DON'T KNOW I JUST WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT I'M SO DEEP GUYS BRO WHAT IF GLASS WAS THE BEAR AND THE BEAR WAS GOD AND THE SQUIRREL TOO LMAO
>>
>>64975869
I asked you to clarify your reasoning. And you have none. Fuck off.
>>
>>64975860
>goes on about how I'm "utterly destroyed"
>still has yet to disprove a single thing I've said
>is the one saying he's ignoring my posts now on purpose because of how terrified he is I'll prove him wrong

WEW LAD
E
W

L
A
D

>>64975784
Not really, when those children are dumb, unlikeable, faggots.

You see, unlike you, I'm not a totally complete loser who relies on retards on the internet to boost my ego. I have actual intelligence and likeability that does that for me.

Please, do shitpost about my trip some more, I have to masturbate tonight and your tears will help a lot with that.

>>64975836
>coming from the manchild who angrily ranted about my post

Kek

Anyone else?
>>
>>64975963

Mate, you're honestly embarrassing yourself. You also seem to be mixing up who's said what to you. I recommend going to bed.
>>
>>64975963
Penis.
>>
>>64971022
In real life, when his wounds were super infected and gross, Hugh Glass found a rotting log full of maggots and laid on it so the maggots would eat the infected flesh.

In all honesty I feel like they should have left that part of it true to history instead of having the Indian guy treat his wounds.
>>
>>64975994
>>64976014
Did you just message a bunch of your friends to get in this thread and shitpost angrily towards me? Cause that's what it's looking like, when the same 2, or 3, people are the only ones angrily shitposting towards me.

Kek, glad to know I've angered you though. I really, deeply, firmly, enjoy that.

>>64975941
Okay
>how was the mood/setting related to what the characters did

It acted as both a mirror, a lamentation, and a foreshadowing of the events in the film that happened, were happening, and what they were feeling. The wolves attacking the bison scene meant personally for me how the characters were ambushed and attacked, but also on a deeper level, probably reflected the cruelty of nature, and as a result, the cruel nature of man.

Now fuck off. ;)
>>
I think we could be friends.
>>
>>64976229

You didn't anger me. I'm genuinely letting you know you're coming across as a clown. And as unbelievable as it may be to you, you don't exactly have a winning personality, which is why multiple people are ragging on you.

Anyway, I have no horse in this race. I think The Revenant is one of the year's best. I also think you need to grow up.

Cheers.
>>
>>64967922
Birdman is his most clever work by far, if anything it's not getting enough praise for the use of long shots to make it feel like a broadway show rather than a movie.

Still I expect 4chan to hate Inarritu until Trump loses the elections.
>>
>>64976598
>trump
>losing
get back to tumblr you obese muslim negroid plantkin transgenderqueer faggot uwu child
>>
>>64965068
The final act was shit, but the rest of the film was pretty based.
>>
>>64971084

these are the same people who think guns in movies are like real life but that's another story
Thread posts: 300
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.