[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people who think that Star Wars is sci-fi If you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 30

File: avatar star wars force awakens.jpg (1MB, 1840x1610px) Image search: [Google]
avatar star wars force awakens.jpg
1MB, 1840x1610px
>there are people who think that Star Wars is sci-fi

If you want real sci-fi go for quality and watch Avatar.
>>
>>64871874
What ps6 game is the top one from
>>
>>64871936
The real question is which ps3 game is the bottom on from.
>>
>>64871874
Star Wars books are sci fi
Prequels were somewhat sci fi
Originals were fantasy
Sequels require you to shut off your brain and just accept what is happening
>>
>>64871874
you misspelled The Expanse
>>
>>64875031
MARS PRIDE, SYSTEMWIDE
>>
>>64871874
HAHA AVATAR IS GOAT NICE MEME CULTURE
NORMIES LEAVE REEE
>>
>>64871874
Flying 8 years at near light speed would be too costly, no matter the resource.
Going with some sort of FTL travel would have been more realistic
>>
>>64871874
Stop being such a sperg. It's soft scifi. Call it fantasy if it bothers you so much, which is also what Avatar is. Whether it's hard or soft scifi is irrelevant to the quality of the story. Unless you're black science man and you feel the need to show off how lol so smart you are by nit picking every little detail.
>>
>>64871874
mispelled Enders Game fucking pleb
>>
>>64871874
>sci-fi
>a slang word for science fiction
>science fiction
>fiction
You're an idiot
>>
File: Isv.jpg (379KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Isv.jpg
379KB, 1920x1080px
>>64871874

ISV Venture Star is the most realistic space vehicle depicted in film.

>>64875263

Fucking retard.

>>64875653

The book was GOAT. The movie was trash.
>>
>>64871874
http://www.blur.com/work/project/avatar/
So, Blur made it?

They make many video game cinematics.
>>
Hard vs soft Sci-fi

Besides, in Star Wars they've had space travel for like 15k years. Of course their ships will be huge and super advanced.

Also the Expanse is the best hard sci-fi to come out in years.
>>
File: SolorSailer-DB.png (1MB, 1239x818px) Image search: [Google]
SolorSailer-DB.png
1MB, 1239x818px
what now avatarbabbies?
>>
>>64875263
>Flying 8 years at near light speed would be too costly, no matter the resource.
They use antimatter and a solar sail for gradual acceleration and deceleration. At least they're trying to keep it realistic rather than have a mumbo jumbo plot device.

>>64876010
>ISV Venture Star is the most realistic space vehicle depicted in film.
As much as Avatar is a completely forgettable movie, this is true.
>>
>>64876495
They would still need far one energy for one flight than humanity currently consumes per year.
A civilization that can afford such sort of travel woulde be radically different from ours
>>
>>64876485
>how do solar sails work
>>
>>64876541
>They would still need far one energy for one flight than humanity currently consumes per year.
As opposed to the kind of energy and exotic matter required for a semi-realistic FTL method like warp?
>>
>>64876010
Nope/
>>
>>64875718
>science fiction
>science

Like Star Trek, where are least it tries to explains how the shit can be possible. Or any Asimov book, where it constructs the world and its rules are based on physics.

Fantasy its either magic or some god. Star Wars and Harry Potter are magic
>>
>>64876572
Midichlorians, son.
>>
>>64876572
you could have some sci-fi mumbo jumbo that explains why FTL is travel and why it doesn't afford much of energy.
But if you live in a future where flying close to lightspeed is possible the hard way, it would have a lot of impications on the civilization which were ignored in that movie
>>
>>64871874
even the ships have the nigger lower jaw sticking out.
>>
>>64876615
It really is, Jimbo did extensive research with scientists etc
>>
>>64876615
>is the most
disconnected right there
>>
>>64876767
So did Nolan. Is Endurance therefore the most blah, blah, blah?
>>
>>64876975
Potentially yes, we might one day have the technology to build those ships. Compared to fictional materials and fuel sources.
>>
>>64876668
>you could have some sci-fi mumbo jumbo that explains why FTL is travel and why it doesn't afford much of energy.
That's a pretty huge cop out though. I appreciate that the people who designed the Venture Star took the time and research to come up with something that is plausible given our current understanding of possible, feasible modes of interstellar travel.

>it would have a lot of impications on the civilization which were ignored in that movie
Like what? Our current civilization is barely Type I while it looks like the Avatar humans are slightly beyond Type I on the road to Type II, having presumably exhausted the prospect of finding better resources in the Solar System which is why they sought out the nearest star systems for exploration and mining.
>>
>>64871874
I liked the Prequels because they had political intrigue and was my just a generic "good versus evil" story.
>>
>>64877095
For once, energy would be super cheap, compared for today, thus making everything else cheap aswell.
The difference of living standards in Avatar world compared to ours should be like the difference between us and a medieval society
>>
File: 1432233685598.png (205KB, 394x383px) Image search: [Google]
1432233685598.png
205KB, 394x383px
>>64876975

Endurance is retarded. ISV Venture Star is grounded in reality. The only thing exotic about it is the fuel source for the engines, which isn't even out of reality -- it's just very hard to produce antimatter in any substantial quantity and contain it. I'd think hundreds of years in the future it's entirely plausible that they've figured out how to do it.

One of the points of "unobtanium" was the fact that it was a superconductor at room temperature, and made interstellar travel commercially viable. The containment fields needed to control antimatter engines weren't possible without massive refrigeration plants needed to cool superconducting magnets, now they didn't need that anymore.

There's some solid science in the ship. Unlike just about anything else that's been depicted in film. You're welcome to throw something else out there that's been more thought out.

Faggot.
>>
>>64877265
>Endurance is retarded. ISV Venture Star is grounded in reality
Okay Jim.
>>
>>64877196
>For once, energy would be super cheap, compared for today, thus making everything else cheap aswell.
I don't get it. Isn't that how they depict Earth in the movie? A planet that's consuming so much energy where everything is so cheap that's it's becoming polluted and overcrowded and that's why they're looking across interstellar distances to find new resources?

>The difference of living standards in Avatar world compared to ours should be like the difference between us and a medieval society
Exactly, more crowded and polluted.
>>
>>64877313

You could have just not responded and saved the board from one more shitpost.
>>
>>64871874
>Avatar
>good anything
hahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>64877388
A shitpost for a shitpost. Seems fair to me, you tedious fucking, cuck.

Go on, have the balls to explain to us all why the Endurance is "retarded"? I'm not saying it isn't, but the logic used previously was that ISV Venture Star is a good space vessel because Cameron consulted scientists, despite it looking like the typical over-designed, impractical extravagant vehicles we usually get in sci-fi and Cameron. The same logic can therefore be applied to Nolan and the Endurance, so tell us why it's "retarded".
>>
>>64876010
the ISS was in Gravity. so no.
>>
>>64877380
They imply that people on earth are rather poor, and the main protagonist can't even get an operation for his legs

>A planet that's consuming so much energy where everything is so cheap that's it's becoming polluted and overcrowded and that's why they're looking across interstellar distances to find new resources?
If they can fly to other star systems at near lightspeed, it should be no effort for them to colonize other planets
>>
>>64877585
>the Apollo CSM/LM was in Apollo 13
>>
File: Jesus of film.jpg (181KB, 1200x804px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus of film.jpg
181KB, 1200x804px
>>64871874
Apollo 13 was the most realistic sci-fi movie I've ever seen.

>inb4 >sci-fi
If you're dumb enough to think we actually have the technology to go to the moon, then I got some bad news for ya.
>>
>>64877735
>le consbiracy :DDDD
/x/ pls go
>>
>>64877606
>They imply that people on earth are rather poor, and the main protagonist can't even get an operation for his legs
He's an unemployed Vet living on welfare, complex stem cell regenerative procedures that don't exist today are still presumably beyond what he has in his bank account

>If they can fly to other star systems at near lightspeed, it should be no effort for them to colonize other planets
Pandora is the first extrasolar planet that they have started colonizing and the jackpot they hit as well as the fact that this is all a commercial enterprise means that they probably won't be exploring other systems any time soon
Do you think Columbus went on to discover Australia just because he happened upon North America while trying to get rich?
>>
File: 1448869329062.jpg (11KB, 293x301px) Image search: [Google]
1448869329062.jpg
11KB, 293x301px
>>64871874
>If you want real sci-fi go for quality and watch Avatar.
You got me.
>>
>>64877806
They could easily colonize mars or venus or the asteroid belt
And he is still getting his vet rent but it is not enough to pay for his treatment
>>
>>64877882
>They could easily colonize mars or venus or the asteroid belt
What makes you think they haven't?

>And he is still getting his vet rent but it is not enough to pay for his treatment
He lives in a one room NEET shack. While in our world, even Superman couldn't accelerate stem cell research.
>>
File: takbir.png (75KB, 181x238px) Image search: [Google]
takbir.png
75KB, 181x238px
>>64877561

Basic physics for one. In a world where they still needed an SLS type launch system to get into orbit to dock with the Endurance, they somehow manage to fit the energy densities required to escape a planet with much larger gravity wells (twice) with a one-stage ship the size of a minivan. That's just basic inconsistency in the premise of the film.

Two, the basic propulsion structure of the Endurance makes no goddamn sense. The propulsive force of the "ring" of box containers providing large amounts of delta V is being transferred to the central "command" ship via tunnel which can most aptly be described as a hinge point for the whole goddamn thing to come apart.

Now look at the Venture Star. It's one continuous structure of tensile-trusses made of carbon nanotubes in a "tractor" configuration. The "ship" is being towed by the propulsion system whether it's braking or accelerating. The basics are the fact that the Venture Star is based in reality where the Endurance is some bullshit Nolan thought looked cool.
>>
>>64871874
I'd rather watch the Expanse tyvm
>>
>>64877265
ISV Venture Star is grounded in reality
>>64878467
Venture Star is based in reality

I've read some crap on /tv/ in my time, usually from redditors, but this nonsense really takes the proverbial.
>>
>>64878467
>Two, the basic propulsion structure of the Endurance makes no goddamn sense.

Tbf, senpai, neither does the fucking VentureStar. But it doesn't need to, it's hardly important to the story.
>>
Let's be honest, Avatar is shit. Cameron only made it to showcase tech advances in cinema the he helped produce. Visually spectacular, but plebian crap.
>>
>>64871874
>le everybody!! there's a sail on my spaceship. NDT told me that makes it more real :DDDDD
>>
File: Interstellarcomplete.jpg (65KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Interstellarcomplete.jpg
65KB, 1000x563px
>>64878688

Nice rebuttal Nolanfag.

>>64878859

>neither does the fucking VentureStar

Actually it does. A photon sail deploys and a bank of lasers from our solar system pushes it for 5.5 months to a speed of .7c, then it coasts for 5.83 years, does a 180 degree rotation and uses the antimatter engines to brake and enter Pandora's orbit. Then it does the exact opposite to come home.

The overall idea is pretty solid and believable to someone who's not a memer.
>>
>>64879348
>Nice rebuttal Nolanfag.

I'm not the anon who mentioned Interstellar, so you can put that to bed. I'm calling you out for your silly assertion that VentureStar is "grounded in reality", it isn't.
>>
>>64879547

Elaborate.

The basic principles are all there.

>An ISV has two matter-antimatter engines are arranged symmetrically in a tractor configuration that pulls the ship behind them. They are angled slightly away from the body of the ship, and are also aligned a few degrees off the ship’s longitudinal axis so their exhaust plumes bypass the ship’s structure. This results in a slight loss of thrust efficiency because the engines do slightly push toward each other, but even though there is a slight drag coefficient, it is necessary because the body of the ship must still be shielded from the plume’s thermal radiation. Scientists thought of placing the engines at the back instead, but the mass-savings advantage of a tensile structure outweighs the disadvantages of shielding. Since a very long truss is needed to separate the habitable section of the ship from the engines, which produce large amounts of radiation, such a structure would be prohibitively massive if it were a conventional space-frame truss designed for compressive loading, however the carbon-nanotube composite tensile-truss creates the necessary stand-off distance at one-tenth of the mass. Essentially, it is a rigid, extremely strong tow cable with engines in the front and the "trailer" in the rear.[3]
>>
>>64879699

>The antimatter fuel (in this case anti-hydrogen), is contained by a magnetic field in a near-perfect vacuum in which it circulates as a high density cloud of atoms cooled to near-absolute-zero temperature. When antimatter and matter (normal hydrogen) are brought together, they mutually annihilate and give off an enormous amount of energy, which must be directed by an ultra-powerful magnetic field to form the exhaust plume. These photons of energy, although without mass, possess momentum, and their ejection provides the thrust to accelerate the ship. Additional thrust is obtained by injecting hydrogen atoms into the plasma before it leaves the engines. The exhaust flare is an incandescent plasma a million times brighter than a welding arc, and over thirty kilometers long. The plume is considered to be one of the most spectacular man-made sights in history.[3]
>>
>>64876495
Not necessarily. Assuming we discover the proper exotic matter and a way to harvest it, an Alcubbiere Drive would be far less energy intensive than a sublight drive using anti-matter or any other such. Not to mention the other physical problems of reaching even fractional sublight speeds presents (such as heat reduction)

>In 2012, physicist Harold White and collaborators announced that modifying the geometry of exotic matter could reduce the mass–energy requirements for a macroscopic space ship from the equivalent of the planet Jupiter to that of the Voyager 1 spacecraft (~700 kg) or less.

But as for star wars, yes. Not only do they not explain their hyperspace, but they have other ships that straight defy the laws of physics as we know them.
>>
>>64879967
>Assuming we discover the proper exotic matter

And he claims it is "grounded in reality"
>>
File: primer.jpg (30KB, 590x250px) Image search: [Google]
primer.jpg
30KB, 590x250px
Actual Sci-Fi coming through
>>
>>64880032
>And he claims it is "grounded in reality"

Who are you quoting? SW is obviously not grounded in reality. I was referring the ISV VentureStar in Avatar...
>>
>>64871874

Finalizer thread?

Resurgent-class Star Destroyers featured a complement of 19,000 officers and 55,000 enlisted personnel. In order to keep such a large ship in operation, starship crews would be forced to work closely together and alternate each standard day into six four-hour-long shifts, divided among three crew sections.

Featuring over 3,000 turbolasers and ion cannons, the Resurgent-class vessels were designed for orbital assaults and slugging matches with enemy ships. Powerful turbolaser batteries allowed for overloading enemy shields and punching through thick armor, along with orbital bombardments capable of reducing planetary surfaces to molten slag. Upgraded from Imperial-era turbolasers, the Resurgent-class delivered more firepower and had a faster recharge rate. Stemming from kyber focusing crystals harvested from a secret source deep in the Unknown Regions, other captains clamored upgrades for their warships, only to be denied as military-grade crystals were in short supply. Only the most prestigious and important vessels were allowed this advanced weaponry, along with the Order's highest ranks.[1]

Smaller point-defense turrets and missile emplacements served as complements to the heavy weapons, being able to track and destroy smaller and more agile ships. Both starboard and port sides of the stern featured standard turbolaser batteries, while heavy turbolaser turrets and an axial defense turret were located at the bow. The ships turret firing control center was located at the aft, protected underneath the larger rear portion of the ship. Multi-spectrum sensor towers were located near the primary command bridge, and aided in target acquisition.[1]
>>
>>64880116
>I was referring the ISV VentureStar in Avatar...
Which is nonsense, Jim, you dozey bastard.
>>
>>64880283

>nothing to add to the conversation

Wow stop posting anytime kiddo.
>>
File: 1228158686146.jpg (41KB, 640x616px) Image search: [Google]
1228158686146.jpg
41KB, 640x616px
ITT: people who think what is written on Avatar Wiki is scientific fact.
>>
File: 1432050414856.gif (499KB, 450x296px) Image search: [Google]
1432050414856.gif
499KB, 450x296px
>>64880674

>I don't understand what I'm reading, so it's got to be space wizardry mumbo jumbo
>>
>>64871874
Those are some big Engines.
>>
>>64880899
>admitting you read Avatar Wiki and think it's fact
>>
>>64881007

>plausibility = fact

You're a retard. Admit it.
>>
>>64881074
Hey, I'm not the one using Avatar Wiki to support my outrageous claim regarding a space ship in a sci-fi about about blue lanklet Smurfs is "grounded in reality".
>>
File: UNOBTANIUM.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
UNOBTANIUM.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
reminder
>>
File: IsvDiagram18.jpg (97KB, 1200x343px) Image search: [Google]
IsvDiagram18.jpg
97KB, 1200x343px
>>64881222

You're a fag.

>http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/slowerlight.php

>The good starship ISV Venture Star from the movie Avatar is one of the most scientifically accurate movie spaceships it has ever been my pleasure to see. When I read the description of the ship, I got a nagging feeling that something was familiar. A ship with the engines on the nose, towing the rest of the ship like a water-skier? Wait a minute, that sounds like Charles Pellegrino and Jim Powell's Valkyrie starship.

There's plenty of math to go over if you want to, you tedious faggot.
>>
>>64881449
I remember reading the entire thing about the Venture Star a while back. Absolutely incredible how much thought was put into that spaceship. What a great design.
>>
File: foundation_covers.jpg (371KB, 1248x662px) Image search: [Google]
foundation_covers.jpg
371KB, 1248x662px
>>64871874
>there are people that think Avatar is real sci-fi
If you want real sci-fi go for quality and read Asimov
>>
>>64878467
>Basic physics for one. In a world where they still needed an SLS type launch system to get into orbit to dock with the Endurance, they somehow manage to fit the energy densities required to escape a planet with much larger gravity wells (twice) with a one-stage ship the size of a minivan. That's just basic inconsistency in the premise of the film.
What you have written here is not related to the Endurance. I asked you to explain why it is "retarded" and you have failed.

>Two, the basic propulsion structure of the Endurance makes no goddamn sense. The propulsive force of the "ring" of box containers providing large amounts of delta V is being transferred to the central "command" ship via tunnel which can most aptly be described as a hinge point for the whole goddamn thing to come apart.
It's clear you've not remembered the film, or how Endurance worked. Be better.

http://www.space.com/27694-interstellar-movie-spaceships-infographic.html

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/physics-spinning-spacecraft-interstellar/
>>
>>64871874
/tv/ is the easiest board to bait, I swear.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
>There are people who think it matters
>>
>>64881716
Are you serious with those links? That Ranger thing alone was retarded as fuck, leaving the planet without much trouble and with vertical lift-off capabilities that came from nowhere. I wonder where all the fuel came from. Didn't see a giant tank attached to that thing. It was as realistic as your typical Star Wars spaceship.
>>
File: fucking retarded.png (268KB, 499x487px) Image search: [Google]
fucking retarded.png
268KB, 499x487px
>>64881716
>>
File: retards.png (251KB, 509x487px) Image search: [Google]
retards.png
251KB, 509x487px
>>64881716

>implying the space magic needed to get the lander and ranger into orbit from a larger gravity well is present in the same universe where an SLS type launch vehicle is needed to get the ranger off Earth

It's fucking retarded. Deal with it.
>>
>>64881696
>If you want real sci-fi go for quality and read Asimov

No shit. This isn't /lit/ though.
>>
>>64881964
>>64881984
>>64882022
>retarded
>retarded
>retarded

Yet you still can't explain why the Endurance is.
>>
>>64871874
but avatar is no longer in cinemas, senpai
>>
File: planetes.jpg (35KB, 225x315px) Image search: [Google]
planetes.jpg
35KB, 225x315px
If you think we'll get to go on space adventures or fight in sick wars, you'd be wrong.
Most of us would probably just end up being space garbage men, or space janitors or something. Just like today.
>>
>>64871874
Yeah, but it is sci-fi. Stop trying to be an edgy cuck, anon.
>>
>>64882086
Hard sci-fi doesn't really work in movies, though. when somebody watches a movie the expect to see some interesting shit, like explosions or charming characters. But the more explosions or charming characters you put in your film, the less room you have for the actual sci-fi. and I really just wanted an excuse to post that pic
>>
>>64882096

Already did if you understand what acceleration is and how it would structurally affect that ship. Not to mention the gravity well that thing is supposed to be able to handle.

Look, I said Endurance went by the "rule of cool", where as VentureStar actually had some thought put into it. Get over it.
>>
>>64882096
Where's the fuel?
>>
>>64877735
>If you're dumb enough to think we actually have the technology to go to the moon, then I got some bad news for ya.
Then how the fuck is the movie realistic then
>>
>>64871874
Star Wars is space opera fantasy, certainly not SF. Avatar is SF but still a poor choice for comparison. The Martian would be a much better example of the genre.
>>
>>64882257
>Hard sci-fi doesn't really work in movies, though.

I agree completely. It would be hard to make an entertaining movie, and it wouldn't appeal to many people.
>>
>>64882268
Make something up. Avatar did
>>
>>64882266
>where as VentureStar actually had some thought put into it.
Yes, typical unrealistic, over-designed nonsense with le ebin unobtanium.

b-b-b-b-but it has le sail!!!
>>
File: sunburnout.jpg (90KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
sunburnout.jpg
90KB, 1024x576px
Avatar is in no way a sci-fi and if someone out there actually believes in that I don't know what to say, not even our actual current military would lost to a bunch of blue space cats that wipe their asses with leafs
>>
>>64882317
>Make something up. Avatar did

You're such a tedious faggot. Avatar had a backstory and an explanation that scientifically plausible. I'm convinced you're trolling at this point.

No adult is this dumb.
>>
>>64882306
2001 is pretty hard.

Probably still the hardest space sf desu
>>
>>64882317
>>64882371

try reading instead of memeing
>>
>>64882374
>Underdogs aren't allowed to win because it's unrealistic
You must enjoy movies a lot.
>>
>>64882397
>Avatar had a backstory and an explanation that scientifically plausible
Pahahahahaha! Well memed, Jim.

>No adult is this dumb
You using Avatar Wiki as scientific fact.
>>
File: 657677.jpg (478KB, 1306x862px) Image search: [Google]
657677.jpg
478KB, 1306x862px
>>64882317
See these tanks? These are the propellant tanks. Wanna know why they are round? Smallest surface area for a given volume so it uses the least amount of material and it also has no corners and therefore no weakpoints that could be problematic due to pressure.
>>
>>64882476

I do, I had fun with Avatar
>>
>>64882531
>le unobtanium
>>
>>64882491
>You using Avatar Wiki as scientific fact.

Plenty of reading, doubt you'll make it a paragraph in though. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>64882531

Hold up, is Pandora a moon or a planet? Is that even Pandore they're above?
>>
>>64882578

Hello Reddit!
>>
>>64882617

Pandora was a moon of a large gas giant.
>>
>>64882625
Nice to see you here, fellow redditor.
>>
>>64882617
Pandora is a moon of the gas giant Polyphemus (in the background behind Pandora)
>>
File: IMG_2231.jpg (428KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2231.jpg
428KB, 1500x1000px
Reminder that Disney profits from people still obsessing over and shilling Avatar. They've been putting so much money into Avatarland at Animal Kingdom that they need Jimbo's sequels to succeed.
>>
File: FrisbeeAntimatter09.jpg (65KB, 640x280px) Image search: [Google]
FrisbeeAntimatter09.jpg
65KB, 640x280px
Matter/antimatter rockets have been theorized for over 50 years. Here's a model for one proposed.

Star Destroyer for scale.
>>
>>64882617
>>64882672
>>64882719

Oh, I'm okay with it then.

Fun fact: Pandora is also the name of one of the smaller moons of Saturn
>>
>>64882531
>make the propellant tanks round and we'll convince the plebs it is le ebin scientifically accurate space craft
>>
>>64882734

Even in the future our rockets are going to be shaped like dicks
>>
>>64871874
Nobody ever said Star Wars was sci-fi. It's science-fantasy. Avatar is also science-fantasy. Shut the fuck up and get off the internet. It's ruined you.
>>
>>64882819
What? It's just sensible to make them round for the reasons I mentioned.
>>
The ecological factor in Avatar does qualify it for SF but barely. It's much more fantasy than anything else.
>>
>>64882400
It's pretty crazy, if anything, 2001 has become more believable over time. For the longest time HAL was considered the biggest stretch in the movie - a computer that can understand speech and respond in real-time? As if! Now with things like Siri around that's literally reality.
>>
>>64882885

he's just memeing
>>
>>64871874
if you want sci-fi go watch Event Horizon
>>
>>64871874

I remember hearing somewhere that James Cameron mentioned Another planet in the Avatar universe with life called Beowulf (in the Sirius star system). Though this one has only had unmanned visits by probes because the same technology used to get to Pandora that takes 6 years would take almost 20 years to get to Beowulf.

Hope if this is true, he doesn't fuck up its presentation.
>>
>>64871874
>Pocahontas Smurfs in space
>Somehow more valid as science fiction than soap opera in space

Get fucked.
Avatar had almost no substance. The overwhelming majority of people went to see it because it was a visual spectacle.
Watching avatar for anything else is like going to a fireworks show to take a nap. You're fucking doing it wrong.
Nobody went to work and told all of their friends to see Avatar because it was a well written cinematic masterpiece. They told them to go see it because it was really pretty (Which I'll admit, it is)

>>64875263
>Going with some sort of FTL travel would have been more realistic

FTL?
That's not how you spell Warp you faggot.
>>
File: 4563474566.jpg (416KB, 1200x686px) Image search: [Google]
4563474566.jpg
416KB, 1200x686px
This is my favorite part:

>At the far end of the structure is the mirror shield, which protects the ship from the intense light of the beamed power laser from Earth. This mirror is only a few molecules thick, but reflects light efficiently enough to prevent incineration of the habitable section of the starship. When acceleration is completed, the ship is rotated 180 degrees so that the mirror shield faces forward. The shield performs another role, acting as a multilayer interstellar debris shield. Although intense magnetic fields are used to deflect stray gas molecules, the occasional dust grain requires a physical barrier. The shield is in multiple layers, spaced one hundred meters apart. Impact of a debris grain (traveling at a relative speed of 0.7C) with the first layer of the shield causes vaporization into a plasma. The spray of plasma particles strikes the second layer, and the impacts cause spalling from the back of the second layer. These particles are stopped by the third layer. A fourth layer acts as a backup in the unlikely event that something gets past the third layer. Once cruise speed is reached, this shield is detached and moved by small thrusters thousands of miles in front of the ship to improve survivability if a larger particle of debris is encountered.
>>
>>64883710
Talking about the science here, not the writing. Try to keep up, friendo. :^)
>>
>>64883742
>Once cruise speed is reached, this shield is detached and moved by small thrusters thousands of miles in front of the ship to improve survivability if a larger particle of debris is encountered.

That's actually pretty cool.
>>
Ok, so all in all, can we agree that Avatar itself is not a sci-fi movie, but the backstory and the technology of it is, at very least, respectable and cool?
>>
File: ex machina.jpg (259KB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
ex machina.jpg
259KB, 1280x857px
>>64883996

Avatar is the worst possible story told in an interesting setting

Honestly, I think it would be better if the Navi were Humans. Like they were a failed colony that went native, and when the rest of humanity starts coming along there is conflict
>>
>>64883789

The original post said go for quality and watch Avatar.
The key words here are QUALITY and WATCH.
The overwhelming majority of the science is explained in out of film material.

If a film can't explain what it needs to within the contents of the films themselves and needs to rely on external sources, then it has already failed.

For example.
>>64883742
Where the hell is this in the film?

A movie needs to be able to stand on it's own and give information to the viewer in a clever and interesting way without boring them to death or sounding condescending.
Avatar doesn't do either of these things. At least not as well as it could.
The majority of the film is just acting for the sake of showing off Cameron's special effect magic.

Avatar is not good science fiction.
It is on the exact same tier as Star Wars. It's a fantasy action film.
>>
>>64883415

>habitable planet in Sirius star system
>one of the two stars had already passed through the red giant phase into a white dwarf
>any planet would be constantly bombarded by X-rays from the white dwarf

no
>>
>>64884508
A movie is not only proper science fiction if the science is explained in detail in the movie you mongrel. Do you know how much time that would take away from dialogue and character building and plot development scenes? The science is there. The spaceship is extremely realistic for a sci-fi movie.
>>
>>64880276
74 000 crew on a 3 km ship? thats way too overcrowded
>>
>>64880276
And ? Will it still be destroyed in seconds by one tiny fighter and Star Wars logic ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ
>>
>>64884642

Not the same dude, but I'm sorry man, I don't agree with you at all, it's not a sci-fi movie. All this hard science that was showed here didn't matter a bit in the end, the "spaceship" was on screen for ten seconds.

Let's say that in middle production James decided to say fuck it and actually remake Pocahontas, he would have to rewrite the script only a little bit, or not at all.

It's pretty much what I said here >>64883996
>>
>>64873436
>Sequels require you to shut off your brain and just accept what is happening

EPIC!
>>
File: 1306084217228.jpg (2KB, 123x127px) Image search: [Google]
1306084217228.jpg
2KB, 123x127px
>Pocahontas in space
>Sci-fi
>>
>>64884753
So the spaceship could have been a hot air balloon because it was only on screen for 10 seconds? No. I disagree. If the different elements in a sci-fi movie are based on realistic concepts it makes the whole thing more engaging and compelling. All the gunships in the movie were designed so they could actually fly if they existed. They weren't just designed to look cool. I appreciate that and to me that gives the movie more gravitas.
>>
>>64882734
>Star destroyer for scale
>Lower right picture shows it would actually be as long as Texas is wide.
>>
I wouldn't call star wars sci Fi, its more science fantasy
>>
>>64876010

just no
>>
>>64884642

I'm not saying that everything needs to be explained in detail.
I'm saying everything being explained in detail outside of the film doesn't make the film sci-fi, and that the film fails if it needs to rely on outside material to get it's lore across.
I'm also saying that the film needs to be able to explain enough on it's own in an interesting and engaging way.

A good movie is self contained.

Avatar is not science fiction. It's science fantasy and action.
>>
File: son.png (57KB, 625x656px) Image search: [Google]
son.png
57KB, 625x656px
>>64871874
>>
>Avatar 2 won't be released until 2027
>>
You know what's really retarded about the space battles in Star Wars? The distances. Modern fighter jets engage each other from hundreds of miles away. They see the enemy on the radar, fire a missile and a couple minutes later the missile hits the enemy if he doesn't initiate proper evasive maneuvers. Old-timey dogfights are a thing of the past. But the super high-tech sci-fi spaceships in Star Wars are always really fucking close. Their guns are pretty much the guns airplanes had in WW1, just instead of metal bullets they have blasters. Why no heatseeker missiles or something like that?
>>
>>64883996
>backstory of Avatar being good

It was Dance with the Wolves/Pocahontas/ Ferngully in Space with the " evil " greedy white corporations against the good Forstchildren.

Honestly in a better world they would in Avatar 2 what happened on Earth after the Unobtanium delivery stopped. With Millions dying because the Industry got a major stepback and medcine based on it couldnt be produced etc.

Just because one Cripple wanted to go full Furry phantasy and fuck Catwomen.
>>
>>64871874
>floating islands
>tree goddess connected with all living things
Avatar is even more offensively magical than Star Wars. At least there it's only a couple people in the universe with what amounts to minor psychic powers.

Avatar's minimalist space ship doesn't make it any more realistic than Star Wars. In the Star Wars setting, there has been a space-faring civilization for countless thousands of years, while Avatar is only 140 years in the future. A Star Destroyer's design makes plenty of sense in the context of a setting where space travel has existed longer than the wheel has in our world.
>>
>>64884940

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/slowerlight.php

Scroll down to the Venture Star section and read. The science is there.
>>
>>64884899

I appreciate that too, but my point is that in the end it didn't matter, it never will, it's something in the story that will never be explored because it's something that doesn't matter
>>
>>64885126
Star Wars has no development at all. Based on the Lore they use teh same technology they used like 10.00 years before.
The Idea that there is almsot no progress at all is ridiculous interms of science and Sci-Fi.
But Star wars is just Fantasy in Space.
>>
>>64885236
Meant 10.000 years
>>
>>64885126
The rocks float due to the ore within them. The rocks are located within a magnetic field that interacts with the unobtainium ore inside them which makes them float.

And the planet is like a giant brain with tree roots as synapses. The planet itself is considered their goddess which is not too far fetched if it's like a huge conscience that one can connect with in a certain way.
>>
>>64885221
To me it does matter. Knowing that the science in a science fiction movie is actually there and thought was put into it and experts helped designed is great to me. You may not care about it if it didn't directly matter to the plot but to me such background stuff is awesome. I liked that all the tech the humans used during the final battle could BE. The mechs weren't just designed to look cool for the action scenes. They were designed to be functional and realistic. I like that.
>>
>>64885445

Well, I guess we have to agree in disagree. In any case I do get your point of view, and I do think Avatar is way more sci-fi than Avatar will ever dream to be
>>
File: 1426975284552.jpg (176KB, 625x552px) Image search: [Google]
1426975284552.jpg
176KB, 625x552px
>>64877265
abatap?
>>
>>64880064

>A time travelling lock up unit.
>Writing nonsense on a blackboard
>Muh complex timeline.

Uh huh.
>>
>>64885236
Doesn't it stand to reason that any sufficiently old and advanced civilization will eventually "complete" science and no longer have any more significant discoveries to make?

Even before that, you'd hit a point of diminishing returns, where it was harder and harder to develop new technologies, potentially leading to stagnation long before the actual completion of science.
>>
File: sitting, that's a good trick.jpg (91KB, 412x594px) Image search: [Google]
sitting, that's a good trick.jpg
91KB, 412x594px
>>64885603
Either that or Star Wars is just lazy because pic related.
>>
>>64885603
Simply No and especially not in the Star Wars Universe where constant Wars and People with " magical " powers try to get Control is the Standard.
Which would always boost scientic research. Instead its almost frozen in time.

Star Wars needs to be totally simple so that you can use the same Formula over and over. A developing Star wars Universe would actually take the authors and writer to think instead of " Its Jedi against Sith ! Again.... "
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.