[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 15

Thoughts?
>>
>>64701363
sleep medicine/10
>>
>>64701363
Only watched it for CIA
>>
>>64701615
This.
>>
>>64701363
But who was doge?
>>
catholics > protestants
>>
cinéma
>>
>>64701363
Did not like it that much 6/10
>>
It didn't actually make sense.

In its bid to cram as many "interesting" characters and plot intrigues as it could, it forgot to make a cohesive and coherent piece out of the mess.

Seems more like a collage loosely tied together than it does a movie.
>>
>>64701615
pity he was the worst part of the move then
>>
>>64701803

>plot complaints

spotted the film pleb
>>
>>64701363
A vulgar version of Diary of a country priest
>>
If you arent Irish, its kind of hard to actually get about 80% of this film

Im irish, and I loved the actual reflection of the fucking stronghold the church still has on modern life in it.
>>
>>64701803
>didn't make sense

are you retarded? it was straightforward as fuck, both plotwise and thematically
>>
File: Christian Bus Window.png (2MB, 1300x860px) Image search: [Google]
Christian Bus Window.png
2MB, 1300x860px
>>64701743
I'm an atheist but i still think protestants follow god in a better way than catholics desu.

Why do catholics believe they have to talk to god through some priest? the bible never mentions that one person is above another when it comes to speaking to god.
>>
>>64701363
Dull and surprisingly not visually interesting in the slightest.
>>
>>64701931
>fucking stronghold the church
The film is about the unabashed debauchery of the parishioners and the fact that they had no respect for Fr. Lavelle.
>>
>>64702059
i am sure you'll have plenty of time to discuss catholic church with protestants
you know

in hell
>>
>>64702229
m8 it's all a gamble when u think of it, what kind of god would judge you based on what religion you placed your bets on? why not judge us based on good/bad and if he wanted us to have free will he wouldn't have put prophets on earth and gave them laws and shoehorned politics to write down for everyone to obey, he would've left us alone.

you're wasting your time believing these scams.
>>
>>64702398
forgot pic
>>
>>64702059

Because we would rather talk to a priest who has spent his life training, and learning scripture rather than some fucking bloke they bump into like huns do.

Dated a girl who was a Presbyterian. She invited me to her "service" with her family. Mass or whatever the fuck the Presbyterian alternative is called took nearly 2hrs rather than the usual Catholic 45mins, there was far too much singing and the arsehole minister decided to point me out at the start to welcome the "Catholic" to their service so I had all eyes on me when I would fumble, or sit and stand at the wrong parts.

THEN we had to go back later that night for fucking movies night and a communal gathering.

Fuck all that noise. Being a catholic is about going to mass twice a year, Easter and Xmas just to renew your Catholocism
>>
garbage
>>
File: Atheist.jpg (86KB, 960x658px) Image search: [Google]
Atheist.jpg
86KB, 960x658px
>>64702446
if you're gunna ignore god for such long pieriods of time why not just become a full time atheist/agnostic like me? it's not like he wouldn't know you're not interested in following him.
>>
>white chrstians are evil,catholic priests are pedophiles

thx hollyjews
>>
>>64701931
>fucking stronghold the church still has on modern life
I guess it's true that Irishmen are as stupid as niggers
>>
>>64702205
Yes, most of the parish seemed to rub their sins in the Priests face, like the cuckolding adultress, the rich guy pissing on everything,the church burning etc.. The person with the most faith was the woman visiting from France who lost her husband. I may need to watch this again. I think it is worth watching.
>>
File: Capture.png (361KB, 657x721px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
361KB, 657x721px
>>64702740
>git outta here with your facts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases
>>
>>64702858
What percentage of Catholic Children were abused compared to Muslim or Jewish children?
>>
>>64702925
not nearly as many (proportionally) as protestant kids
>>
>>64702925
the very fact that the catholic church covered most of it up shows how unconnected to god they are.
>>
>>64702925

>b-buh what about the other religions that don't have a huge impact on our cultural identity?!

The whole "he did it too!" thing doesn't work past the age of 5, yaknow. Also, it'd make more of an impact if you answered your own question rather than implying that by having the question, you have a point.
>>
>>64702951
Yes, the Catholics get a bad rap because some sodomites caused a lot of problems, but there are issues in every religion. I think Calvary addresses this with people wanting to blame current priests for the sins of a few.
>>
File: Unite Ireland.jpg (110KB, 612x640px) Image search: [Google]
Unite Ireland.jpg
110KB, 612x640px
>>64703024
many of them either turned a blind eye or even covered it up, no one in ireland trusts the catholic church as much as they used to i rarely meet people who openly say they're christian or that they go to church.

it's quite understandable from that guys perspective that he hates the priests much like how /pol/ hates muslims for their high rate of crime.
>>
>>64703152
Being skeptical of Church leadership is different then becoming Godless heathens who have no faith. There have always been good people in the Church too.
>>
>>64703358
you can always ignore the organised religions and study the bible and pray in the privacy of your own home. Jesus even says its better that way: "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
>>
>>64701363
I'm glad I watched it, Brendan Gleeson carries the movie hard.

The characters get demented and super weird towards the end which I didn't enjoy much, but I recommend giving it a watch, made me think a bit.
>>
>>64702988

Youve clearly never been to Northern Ireland. The political and religious system is build upon

"BUT THEMMUNS DID THIS"
>>
>>64702446
You just explained in your post quite literally why Catholicism is a farce. There's no emphasis on living a pious day to day life. No emphasis on on being part of a community where the other members can serve to keep each in other in line.

Yes, the song & dance is to attract nonbelievers and create a fun atmosphere for churchgoers to stay. If you listen through the sermon though, then you realize that there's actual messages and life lessons be given.

I'm not even a believer. I just think Catholics, despite their stance on certain issues, are the bigger degenerates.
>>
>>64703024
In my country the catholics get a bad wrap because of the greediness, pushing retrograde ideals and overall power hunger of their church and how the supposed secularism is a joke, having several "deals" that heavily benefit the church in detriment of non catholic people.

But hey, that's just my view on it I guess. I can only imagine Ireland is similar.
>>
>>64702563
where is fedora
>>
>>64701363
Caught it on HBO the other day. I quite liked it.
>>
catholic propaganda but i liked it
>>
>>64703616
Catholicism is a deep tradition that contains elements that pre-date Christianity as a whole. It's a codified ancestral memory. Protestantism of all kinds is a cult for Americans and englishmen that demands varying degrees of tacky commitments ranging from the benign and boring (movie nights) to the outright crazy (snake handling and shit). Protestantism is literally either for crazy people or idiots.
>>
File: Fedoras vs Athiests.png (845KB, 1786x714px) Image search: [Google]
Fedoras vs Athiests.png
845KB, 1786x714px
>>64703802
>>
>>64701363
The first two times I thought the ending where the priest was killed was kinda forced. Most people who saw the film didn't really understand why the priest even decided to stay at his home and then go to the beach. But I think that's kinda the point. The priest is obviously supposed to be a Jesus figure. Christians still don't know exactly why Jesus had to let himself die to forgive our sins. There's theories about it, but no one can claim to know for sure. So I think that's what the film was getting at.
>>
>>64702059
>John 20:
> 21Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Jesus was the first one to decide that disciples/priests were needed to forgive sins.
>>
File: 432.png (18KB, 334x269px) Image search: [Google]
432.png
18KB, 334x269px
>>64704667
you're like those niggers who make up shit to compensate for having a shitty history
>>
Great, loved it
>>
>>64704612

I don't think it was (or was meant to be) either for or against Catholicism. I should go back and watch it though, because I find myself struggling to find something to say about it other than that it was great.
>>
>>64701363

It tried too hard to be microcosmic, to have every conceivable facet of modern Western society represented. Domhnall Gleeson's character should have been cut, as should the American writer.
>>
>>64701743
Then why is every Catholic country on Earth a shithole and every Protestant (or very recently Protestant) country a great place to live?
>>
>>64705787
Oh boy i sure would love to live in Liberia, Zimbabwe, Ghana or Congo over Monaco, Luxembourg or Austria.
>>
>>64705949
Where was Hitler from?
>>
>>64705787
Correlation does not imply causation.
>>
>>64706206
ok m8, keep worshipping old men dressed as wizards
>>
>>64706273
Nice! You totally btfo'd me!
>>
File: 1408885959574.jpg (14KB, 318x479px) Image search: [Google]
1408885959574.jpg
14KB, 318x479px
>>64701363
so what was this film about ?
>>
>>64704870
>2015 anno domini
>believing protestants can't also seek advice from pastors
>defending the clearly inferior practice confession

Just read up on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession_(religion)#Lutheranism
>>
>>64702059
It's not just Catholics. It was pretty much every Christian from apostolic times to the 1500s when Protestants decided that confession wasn't needed. Catholics and Orthodox (who make up about 70% of Christians today) believe in confession.

Christianity isn't just the Bible, you also have to pay attention to the church fathers and the ecumenical councils that came afterwards. Scripture is extremely important, but it's only a part of a greater tradition going back to the apostles.
>>
>>64704667
I like how a catholic apologist is calling protestantism more batshit when you guys pray to like 9000 saints and icons, perform retarded rituals: starting infanthood throughout adult life, are literally taught to believe you're eating the body and drinking the blood of christ, and invest undue power and influence into men wearing black and white robes (whom have a propensity to pedophilia).

There are batshit sects in protestantism but I'd rather be in one of the moderate ones than be apart of catholicsm.
>>
Had the misfortune of watching it with a fedora tipping bunch of friends

Somehow the message they took away from it was that the Catholic Church needs to disappear and all priests are accountable for molesting children.
>>
>>64701363
Absolute GOAT.

If you didn't cry at the end you're a pleb.
>>
>>64706748
>are literally taught to believe you're eating the body and drinking the blood of christ
How fucking stupid are you.

Transubstantiation has to do with the Aristotelian theory of accident vs substance. The substance or spiritual meaning of the bread and wine changes, not the physical accident.
>>
>>64706757
Atheists can't appreciate anything spiritual... Or at least they can't correctly interpret any art that has spiritual or philosophical themes.

Try reading some interpretations of Bergman films. Bergman did become an atheist eventually, but his earlier films had a much more agnostic stance. However, atheists assume that all his films are saying "God doesn't exist", when a lot of his earlier films are solely saying we can't know for sure.
>>
>>64706825
But he's right. The bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ. Christians have believed this from the earliest times.

>aritotelian philosophy

Not necessary, pls no.
>>
>>64706825
All I know is that if you seriously ask this question to a catholic clergyman, they usually evade the question. I commend you for giving me some ecclesiastical psuedo-philosophical dribble for an answer though.
>>
>>64701803

All the little stories are a metafor for the useless white noise that makes up life.
>>
>>64706825
>1333 At the heart of the Eucharistic celebration are the bread and wine that, by the words of Christ and the invocation of the Holy Spirit, become Christ's Body and Blood.
>1413 By the consecration the transubstantiation of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ is brought about. Under the consecrated species of bread and wine Christ himself, living and glorious, is present in a true, real, and substantial manner: his Body and his Blood, with his soul and his divinity (cf. Council of Trent: DS 1640; 1651).

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

You're thinking of consubstantiation m8.
>>
>>64701743
Had a hardcore religion teacher in highschool. Told us that if you don't follow every tenent of catholicism, you aren't technically a catholic. Sadlyfe.
>>
>>64706825
>>64706947
You guys know there are a million different sects and denominations that each have their own interpretation of the significance of the eucharist right?
>>
>>64702059

>I'm an atheist

Sopped reading there.
>>
>>64706748
>I'd rather be in one of the moderate ones than be apart of catholicsm.
What like methodist? unitarian? You might as well just be an atheist.
>>
>>64707379
Yeah, but I don't want to throw my hat in with the fedoras. New Atheism is an embarrassment. Plus, you can meet girls at churches. I'm currently looking for a church actually. I'm gonna hit up exactly those churches, maybe one of those nondenominational churches that play rock music geared for teenagers -- I bet there's a ton of pussy there.
>>
>>64705787
because Satan is the god of this world and rewards his minions with earthly delights
>>
>>64707291
Not really. All of the churches that can trace their lineage to Apostolic times (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, etc.) which make up most of the Christian population believe that the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ. That is what all Christian churches believe until the reformation.

Within Protestantism there are a million sects and interpretations, but imo there's a bigger disconnect between a lot of Protestant churches and what Christianity historically is.
>>
>>64707502
Sorry I mean to reply to >>64707332
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 579x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 579x399px
>>64701363
It was too vulgar for me, so I avoided it. What was so great about it?
>>
>>64707638
Vulgar?
>>
>>64701363
You guys should love it. He literally did it because he got cucked by the nigger.
>>
>>64702059
>Why do catholics believe they have to talk to god through some priest? the bible never mentions that one person is above another when it comes to speaking to god.

Talking to God is called colloquy and it is common practice in the Catholic Church. The priest is not there to pass on a message you would like delivered to God. Here are the two main reasons why the priest is there:

1. Offer sacrifice. This is the main duty of the priesthood in every religion, to offer sacrifice to God. The Scriptures say that without the offering of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins. Just as in the Old Testament there was a priesthood that offered animal sacrifice to God, so in the New Testament the Catholic priesthood offers the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the altar at Mass. The Protestants don't believe in the sacrifice of the Mass which is the main reason that they don't have a priesthood, and why imo they don't even deserve to be called a religion.

2. Pastor. To catechise (teach about religion) the people, to teach them about spiritual matters, to help settle disputes in the community. Not everyone has the time to read the Scriptures and study theology. We need people who dedicate their lives solely to this to serve as shepherds of the flock.

I have only mentioned 1 of the 7 sacraments (the Eucharist, which is the sacrament of Mass where the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ is made really/truly present on the altar). The other sacraments include: Penance (Confession), Matrimony, Holy Orders (passing on the priesthood), Baptism, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick (for people who are dying).

And there is way more to it than that. The Protestants don't really have the Church. They don't have apostolic succession (the passing down of the priesthood from the apostles).
>>
>>64707450
You're gonna be disappointed anon. Unless you're in Texas or something where everyone goes to a church like that. If you're just trying to get into some slit you really should go to catholic church. Catholics can do all the nasty pre-marital stuff they want and jsut confess about it later
>>
>>64707811
Don't they want you to put a ring on it before you do vaginal sex?
>>
>>64707337
>Disobeying your own holy book
"2 Timothy 2:24-26
And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness."
>>
>>64707925
Yeah they want you to but so what? They also want you to never masturbate but Catholics are sensible enough to know that nobody is really gonna live like that. Protestants on the other hand have virginity-preserving ceremonies where they marry their fathers temporarily and wear a special ring until they get married to somebody else.
>>
>>64708005

I'm not even religious, I just don't see how an atheist can have an opinion on how the religious should behave
>>
>>64707765
Now that's what I call autism!
>>
File: Wooooow.jpg (62KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
Wooooow.jpg
62KB, 604x604px
>>64708048
because i was religious for many years.
>>
>>64708048
Most atheists should think they religions shouldn't murder children. Because to them that is immoral.immoral. Thats a valid opinion on how a religion should behave, Just like many others.
>>
>>64708153

That's not what I'm saying.
>>
A very good film, funny and poignant.
My second favourite I'd say
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 640x400px
>>64707684
Urinating on great works of Art? It's laced with profanities, both verbal and imagistic.

Compare it to something like Fellini's Roma, which uses vulgarity in a more comprehensive, and less shocking way.
>>
>>64709179
If you're triggered by "vulgarity" then why do you come to this website? Shouldn't you be on reddit?
>>
>>64705787
ROI is a great place to live. It's more progressive besides the abortion thing than the Northern Ireland is. I was racially attacked by loyalists numerous times in NI and I knew they were loyalists because I lived in a loyalist neighbourhood without knowing what they were like, I'm Nigerian btw.
>>
>>64701363
I dont get it, is the title intentionally misspelled or is it a shop?
>>
>>64701363
okay. so I watched this last night, and woke up this morning thinking about it.

In all a good movie. Thought provoking if not perfect. We should have more like this

Good bits:
+ Argues the function of the priest, like Christ, is to allow people to shit all over him. To exercise their own demons onto him.
+ Loved the scenes with the priest and his altar boy. Sharp dialog but with great warmth. Needed more. Kid can't act tho.
+ It's unflinching. Doesn't shy away from any taboo.
+ Not fedoracore. You either know what this means or you don't.
+ CIA. Hell, great performances in general. Except the old American writer who was shit.
+ Some very unexpected humor. "Chicks with Dicks." CIA taking the karate pose. Good shit.

Bad bits:
- Everyone is too fucking eloquent. I know irish are supposed to have "Gift of the Gab" but this is too far. The gunman at the end was the worst case. "No, father. this cynicism is HARD WON."
- I know it's a movie, but the extent of the debauchery in this tiny town is just hard for me to believe. Honestly you'd be hard pressed to find this among 6 people in San Francisco.
- Serial killer scene OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. EDGY!

in all, i'll give it 9/10 for not being completely jewified.
>>
File: THEGUARDposter.jpg (27KB, 259x383px) Image search: [Google]
THEGUARDposter.jpg
27KB, 259x383px
also, because Calvary was good, i'm gonna watch this tonight
>>
>>64701743
what are the differences between these two religions? red pill me
>>
>>64711431
Catholicism = Semitic Religion - Jews
Protestantism = Catholicism + Jews
Jews = Jews + 1
>>
>>64711100
>Kid can't act tho.

For real. Worst child actor I've ever seen, and that's saying something.
>>
>>64701931
>stronghold the church still has on modern life

Maybe if you're a culchie bog monkey from the West. Most of the country is thankfully long over that shit.
>>
>>64712033

Yeah I've no idea what that guy was talking about.
>>
>>64701931
you didn't understand the movie at all bognigger
>>
>>64711431
Protestants go to hell.
>>
File: image.jpg (362KB, 1851x1041px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
362KB, 1851x1041px
>>64702446
Protestants are still obliged to confess to people at their group therapy sessions.

The essential difference is that Protestants see everyone as essentially alike, or potentially alike, provided that they live by mechanical rules and lack a certain amount of imagination.

Outside of the mechanism of science, many can't quite conceive of an aristocracy, or even a group of people who have read more serious books than they have. For example; someone who is more talented because they're attuned differently.

In much the same way that the Spartans were obliged to call every other Spartan their 'similar', there's a very long tradition of this behaviour among the Vikingers. Yet these groups were often deeply undervalued within Catholic aristocracies, so there's an element of truth to the Protestant position.
>>
>>64701931
>Im irish, and I loved the actual reflection of the fucking stronghold the church still has on modern life in it.

You fucking serious?

Perhaps in our parents time this would be true, but the church has not got a stronghold here anymore.

Names in the dirt
>>
If i liked The Guard and LOVED In Bruges, will I enjoy this?

is it essential Gleeson-core?
>>
I was confused because there was no horses in it
>>
>>64701743
Catholics are hardly real Christians. You're essentially "Checklist Christians". You go to church every Sunday and fill out a required ritualistic checklist of Catholic duties, but you don't actually worship God or follow the teachings of Christ which means you're not really Christians. You just do the bare minimum required to label yourself as a "Christian". Any atheist could do what you do.
>>
>>64713692
What you are talking about are bad catholics. And there are bad protestants as well.

You are being fucking retarded.
>>
>mfw people have never been to a Church of England High Church

It's basically Catholicism but without the Pope having any bearing

Anyway, I enjoyed Calvary - Didn't know if Gleeson would die but I'm sort of glad it happened, added closure to the film
>>
>>64713766
No, I'm accurately describing most Catholics. It's exactly why the Christian community has an easier time respecting Protestants. It's because Protestants tend to actually carry Christ with them in their everyday lives.
>>
>>64713874
Are you american?
>>
>>64702774
Maybe she was, but for me, the only one who truly wished to repent and get himself closer to God was the rich man. He stumbled, yes, but he was willing to get back up on the horse so to speak.
>>
>>64713537
Yes watch it
>>
>>64713874

Know you not, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? You believe there is one God. You do well. The demons believe, also - and tremble!
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.