[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>If Lucas had directed nothing but “Attack of the Clones”

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (231KB, 2344x1312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231KB, 2344x1312px
>If Lucas had directed nothing but “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith,” he’d still have a place in my personal pantheon.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64697328

that he enjoys high tier cíñémá like attack of the clones and revenge of the sith. Whats not to get?
>>
>>64697328
Some people let cats shit in their houses. Same difference.
>>
>>64697328
he meant "oooh look at me being edgy and different!"
>>
>>64697328
To understand those two films one must understand where they come from. If you had grown up watching the old SciFi seriels like Lucas, you'd see the prequels as a more realized version of those. The entire premise is utterly ridiculous and childishly fun. Space samurai fighting bad space samurai with magic on nonsensical spaceships, while cloaked evil masterminds ring their hands from the shadows, declaring their evil genius. The prequels were a more direct, less grounded attempt(one might argue that the OT was restricted by technology and the hyper-realism of 70's filmmaking.). The problem was that the adult audience didn't grow up with the original, cheesy series. They grew up with A New Hope and the OT, which became their basis for Science Fantasy adventure. Kids love the prequels because they don't know that they're supposed to hate them. Adults just want to relive their youthful experiences, and Star Wars so grounded in realism that they can't get past certain things.
>>
>>64697618
No one hated star wars prequels because of the artistic choices. They hated it because of the shitty story, shitty dialog, and shitty acting and editing, all due to one hack who had too much control over the entire project.

No one says "God, those bugs on geonosis were so unrealistic. They ruined star wars!"
>>
>>64698428
Don't get in the way of the memequel circlejerk
>>
>>64697328
Is that William Fickner? What the fuck?
>>
>>64698428

They hated it because they are whiny bitches like Plinkett.
>>
>The labyrinthine opening shot of Revenge of the Sith— of Anakin and Obi-Wan giving chase to Dooku through the space vehicles on the planet of Coruscant—is a mighty and audacious gauntlet-throw, the digital equivalent of the opening shot of Orson Welles’s “Touch of Evil." It wheels and gyrates and zips and pivots with a vertiginous wonder that declares, from the beginning, that Lucas had big visual ideas and was about to realize them with a heroically inventive virtuosity. And the rest of the movie follows through on that self-dare.

>If I had seen ROTS in real time, in a theatre upon its release, in 2005, I think that, at the moment when Sheev, sizzling in the blue lightning that Mace Windu reflects back at him, cries out to Anakin, “Power! Unlimited Power!,” I would have leaped out of my seat yelling with excitement. The entire movie is filled with an absolute splendor of the pulp sublime, and that moment is its very apogee. Lucas reaches historic heights in the filming of action: the martial artistry of Anakin and Obi-Wan’s double duel versus Dooku, the gaping maw of outer space and of the airshaft into which the heroic duo drops, Obi-Wan’s light-sabre fight with the four-armed Grievous, and, above all, the apocalyptic inferno of the confrontation of Obi-Wan and Anakin. I watched these sequences over and was repeatedly and unflaggingly amazed by Lucas’s precise, dynamic, wildly imaginative direction.

>The scripted politics of the conflicts have a grand imagination to match. What Lucas brings to the script of ROTS is a quasi-Shakespearean backroom dialectic of power-maneuvering. The dialogue is just heightened and sententious enough, just sufficiently rhetorical, to convey the grave moment of ideas in conflict and the grand mortal results of that dialectical clash—the making of a villain and the unmaking of a republic.

B A S E D
>>
>>64699508
literally /tv/: the film critic
>>
None of the redditors at redditlettermedia know anyone with polio because if they did they'd have better things to bitch about then fucking star wars. The prequels really did ruin their childhood now they are whiny little bitches everyone who hates the prequels hates it because muh childhood was ruined
>>
>>64699897
>None of the redditors at redditlettermedia know anyone with polio because if they did they'd have better things to bitch about then fucking star wars.
I'm trying to decipher this sentence here. What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1445985310838.jpg (15KB, 445x318px) Image search: [Google]
1445985310838.jpg
15KB, 445x318px
>>64699508
>If I had seen ROTS in real time, in a theatre upon its release, in 2005, I think that, at the moment when Sheev, sizzling in the blue lightning that Mace Windu reflects back at him, cries out to Anakin, “Power! Unlimited Power!,” I would have leaped out of my seat yelling with excitement
>>
>>64699897
what the fuck are you on about
>>
>>64700132

Just realizing more and more how much of a hack everyone at redlettermedia is
>>
Why are we talking Doug Marsch's opinion on movies?
>>
>>64698428
>No one hated star wars prequels because of the artistic choices
Wrong. I did. Ugly pieces of shit with no redeeming features.
>>
>>64700170
No you're sperging out hard with out your colo claw fish.

>>64699476
I know you're a child because plenty of people hated them well before Plinkett.

Fucking Pegg had an entire establishing character scene in the show spaced talking about how terrible they were. That was like back in 99.
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 1440x610px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 1440x610px
>>64700231
>ugly
>>
>>64700299

Why hate them when they are just movies? Is your childhood ruined too?
>>
>>64700372
Nah, unlike you and others who feel the need to argue incessantly about mediocre movies. My childhood was great because who gives a shit about star wars?
>>
>>64700744

You apparently care enough about it to call Lucas a hack and shitpost about it its "shitty story "shitty dialog" and "shitty acting and editing."
>>
>/tv/ discovers Brody now that he's talking about Star Wars

wew lads
>>
>>64701103
Literally empty filler adjectives: the critic
>>
>“The Force Awakens” isn’t a bad attempt at resurrecting the old “Star Wars.” But it proves once and for all the folly of this kind of nostalgia. The thrill that cannot be recovered—by Lucas or Abrams or Rian Johnson—is the thrill of discovering the “Star Wars” universe for the first time. That’s the thrill that Lucas created.

> suspect Lucas is of two minds about his new puffing-up. On the one hand, he has seen his films—on “Charlie Rose,” he called them his “kids”—cloned in the manner that an army was once raised by the evil emperor on the planet Kamino. We’re so deep in the Reboot Era that we forget what a weird and dispiriting feeling that must be.

>On the other hand, it must be satisfying to see his gifts as a director, so long forgotten, be praised. “The Force Awakens” makes it once again possible to think about George Lucas as a man of imagination, of conviction, and (minus Jar Jar Binks) of taste—as a brilliant appropriator rather than an average one. It took a forgery to get him called an artist.

Reddit Letter Media on suicide watch.
>>
>>64701059
That wasn't me senpai. Also its a fairly stupid argument to make, just because someone doesn't care about Star War doesn't mean they can't have an opinion about the director and quality of the fucking movies. A bad movie is a bad movie
>>
File: 1422289139830.jpg (222KB, 748x543px) Image search: [Google]
1422289139830.jpg
222KB, 748x543px
>>64701059
But the prequels are shitty for the above mentioned posts, not that guy, but what's with the influx of pissed off prequel fanboys that are so defensive that they like to eat shit?

Think about it, these are the only movies these losers talk about, and all 3 are mediocre and shit, fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>64699476

>hurr people hated the prequels just because of plinkett

Underaged detected. You really need to do mental gymnastics in order to prove those movies were good.
>>
>>64701266

They don't hate the prequels because Plinkett but they are whiny bitches like him that whine that George Lucas ruined their childhood.
>>
>>64701266
hello redditlettermedia
>>
>Star Wars fans arguing about what good movies are

loving every laugh
>>
>>64701356
>>64701365
All star wars films are mediocre, the prequels are laced with that little extra shit to make it unbearable. If you truly like them kill yourself, or spread your opinion to reddit or something because noone here gives a fuck. We know it's like a constant 10 of you who keep spamming this shit. Let it go, you have shit taste, we get it.
>>
>>64701356
That was a meme before people knew what memes were though. And it was more attributed to the special editions of the OT than the PT (think the whole Han Greedo controversy).

If I remember correctly, Plinkett makes fun of the "george lucas ruined my childhood" meme
>>
>>64701443

> And it was more attributed to the special editions of the OT than the PT (think the whole Han Greedo controversy).

You are right. Star Wars "fans" are so cancerous. They will bitch hard about anything even like this "Greedo controversy."

> If I remember correctly, Plinkett makes fun of the "george lucas ruined my childhood" meme

They said George Lucas didn't ruin their childhood fucking Polio did. Which is of course bullshit, the truth is that they watched the original trilogy as children and now they are butthurt about the prequels enough to make hour long videos whining about them.
>>
>>64701559
>You are right. Star Wars "fans" are so cancerous. They will bitch hard about anything even like this "Greedo controversy."

Agreed m8

>They said George Lucas didn't ruin their childhood fucking Polio did. Which is of course bullshit, the truth is that they watched the original trilogy as children and now they are butthurt about the prequels enough to make hour long videos whining about them.

They are video essays, plenty exists and they tried to make it funny or whatever but I never got the impression that they hated Lucas or that they were hurt or anything by what Lucas has done. More so a confusion of all the baffling decisions made by lucas after the OT.

I've written essays on movies I thought were terrible that I am not obsessed with or anything. Its part of the academia of film criticism
>>
>>64701559
>>64701653
Why are you having an intelligent discussion with someone who recently turned 18?
>>
>>64701871
I'm hungover and making breakfast so passing the time talking about movies is alright
>>
>>64697328
If /tv/ is done with Armond and is now stealing their opinions from Brody does that mean contrarians will finally stop defending Michael Bay and Adam Sandler? Brody has shit on both of them.
>>
>>64701423
nice try reddit
>>
>>64697328
When is this board going to stop caring about this hack's opinions? He likes American Ultra, Tiny Furniture, Spike Lee's Oldboy and Da Sweet Blood of Jesus.
>>
>>64702574
It helps justify their shitposting
>>
>>64702639

Your shitposting will have its time in the sun too, lad. Worry not.
>>
>>64701266
But plinkett reviews are mental gymnastics
>>
>>64699508
i dont get why people jizz over that opening shot... it was all cg, who cares how long and intricate it is?
>>
>>64702846
Thanks anon you've given me a new hope
>>
File: 1396229547919.jpg (60KB, 450x445px) Image search: [Google]
1396229547919.jpg
60KB, 450x445px
>>64699508
>If I had seen ROTS in real time, in a theatre upon its release, in 2005, I think that, at the moment when Sheev, sizzling in the blue lightning that Mace Windu reflects back at him, cries out to Anakin, “Power! Unlimited Power!,” I would have leaped out of my seat yelling with excitement.
>>
>>64697328
I've always secretly liked the prequel trilogy, I just never bothered saying because most people seemed to hate it so much.
>>
>Please reblog this. Please link this on facebook. The more clicks I get, the more assignments the New Yorker gives me. It's really difficult to make money as a writer. I've already given up my ambitions, my only goal is a steady paycheck and my best option is to churn out worthless opinions. I'm gunning for a column here, the New Yorker doesn't regularly cover pop culture below the middlebrow level and the editor doesn't like giving the field to Emily Nussbaum, Alan Sepinwall and Armond White. They want to get into the business of applying sophistry to trash, and they need a vessel for neutered, irrational Starbucks intellectualism to market as authority. I can be that vessel. I am that vessel. I have poured you their poison. Now fill me with your clicks.

this is what he meant
>>
>>64704211
>being this butthurt about some random old dude's opinion on a movie for kids

familia...
>>
>>64704211
damn...
>>
>>64704211
Not saying you're wrong but that level of cynicism must feel very heavy on you, anon. I feel fatigued just reading it.
>>
>>64702419
Doesn't Brody consider Bay one of the greatest American Auteurs of the present?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.