[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of The Last Kingdom and Vikings, which one is the better series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

File: 796969.jpg (71KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
796969.jpg
71KB, 500x338px
Out of The Last Kingdom and Vikings, which one is the better series?
>>
>>64693526
The one I watched. Soooo....Vikings.
>>
>>64693526
Last Kingdom.

Vikings is trying too much to get this gritty image, ambiant mysticism and unrealisticly badass characters. Last Kingdom is somehow more realistic, characters are more flawed and down to earth, it's easier to watch and the fast pacing prevents you from getting bored. It also has some marvelous actors like Alfred.
>>
>>64693526
I only watched TLK. I'm not sure if it was historically accurate.
>>
>>64693817
It was enough. More than Vikings. Only the main character (appearance and background) makes no sense but everything else was ok. Alfred was realistic and they tried to shoved in some actual anecdotes (like him burning the cakes)
>>
File: 2137.jpg (81KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
2137.jpg
81KB, 620x372px
>>64693526
I prefer The Last Kingdom, because of there was alot less personal drama.

Well that's right up until this bitch came along and made the MC completely unlikable.
>>
>>64693895
But she was a qt.
>>
>>64693526
I liked Vvikings better but then, I read Bernard Cornwell's books so I probably couldn't enjoy TLK.
>>
Vikings is better but they're both bretty gud

also

Ragnar > Uhtred "a trick before leofric"
Ragnar > Uhtred "snitch for a pagan bitch"
Ragnar > Uhtred "Wife's a bore so i got a pagan whore"
>>
>>64693875
Alfred was the character they fucked up the most. Come on, other than having the shits and being the King of Wessex what parts of him were realistic?
>>
>>64693526
I've only seen The Last Kingdom, and it was a solid watch. Vikings hasn't tempted me really.

Leofric best character.
>>
Do either of them show pussy holes?
>>
File: Comfy Gewis Inside.jpg (39KB, 425x428px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy Gewis Inside.jpg
39KB, 425x428px
>>64693526
What is that image supposed to be implying?

And on the whole I prefer Vikings. It really captures the mysticism and darkness of that period very well - it also has a great soundtrack. No scene in TLK so far has been able to match anything like the Blood Eagle. In striving for realism, TLK seemed only to achieve a sort of cheapish look that didn't really do its budget justice - it was kind of underselling itself in this regard, whereas Vikings looks far better on screen with a lot less money to throw around.
>>
>Vikings
Taking dubious history (sagas) and running with it to make a show that links up actual historical events with mythical and others completely pulled from their asses to make something enjoyable to watch that doesn't require being taken too seriously and comes out with completely left field (Alfred as Aethelstan's son) ideas that work within the realms of the show but fall down completely on a historical basis. Also has a number of very small, very subtle details that make you know someone on the crew knows their shit but is completely disregarding most of it. (Quotes from eddas and sagas thrown in, subtle details lifted from ibn fadlan's accounts etc)

>The Last Kingdom
Basis in historical fiction but trying too hard to present a less over the top more "nuanced" depiction of the era which somehow ends up making Alfred too edgy and putting everything on the shoulders of a Mary Sue insert, taking all the fun out of it because even if it doesn't follow history exactly (which it still does more than Vikings) you can predict what will happen next. Reads more like someone who had a base knowledge of the era and tried to wrap it around the story they wanted to tell but still present it as accurate rather than someone with a base knowledge of the era who wanted to throw it all out for cool hairstyles and fun plots with subtle nods to accuracy.

Vikings is more fun. The Last Kingdom if you hate fun.
>>
>>64694386
They were dark and harsh times, there is no place for fun unless you're one of those heathen bastard Danes. There is proper and pious worked to be done.
>>
>>64694455
>implying
There's a famous Anglo Saxon riddle that sounds like a dick but it's about an onion and it's not the only innuendo riddle that survives, and it's in a manuscript that was owned by a bishop. They were up for a laugh as much as anyone.
>>
File: Leofric-e1TLK.jpg (156KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Leofric-e1TLK.jpg
156KB, 800x600px
>>64694637
>tfw you will never fuck whores and party with Leofric
>>
The Last Kingdom is better tbqh pham
>>
The book series The Last Kingdom is fucking GOAT.

i just reckon they are going to butcher it.
>>
>>64694814

wtf i didnt realise it was released already
>>
>>64694814
>>64694884
This first series supposedly follows the first two novels. I think I read that they will be doing a second series.
>>
>>64694234
Being a manipulative shit and ultra religious ?
>>
>You will never look like Ragnar or Rollo

Why even live?
>>
>>64694884
It's not a post-series book, the series is based on books called The Saxon Stories.
>>
File: Sharpe.jpg (670KB, 1622x1610px) Image search: [Google]
Sharpe.jpg
670KB, 1622x1610px
>Bernard Cornwell

Who would win in a fist fight, Sharpe or Uhtred?
>>
>>64694972
>manipulative shit
What are you basing that on t b h.

Any King is going to engage in a bit of propaganda given the resources he had, so if it was the positive depiction in the Anglo Saxon chronicle and Asser's life of Alfred I think it's a bit of a stretch to put that on being manipulative and not simply being a shrewd and pragmatic ruler.

Any contemporary accounts of him are generally kind of glowing and the manners with which he dealt with issues of Viking invasion, defense of Wessex, even relationships with grandchildren of questionable lineage pretty much set him up as a stand up guy.

Ultra religious, sure. But that's not unusual for the time and it most likely was far more inclusive and nurturing than was shown on tlk. The fact he arranged for translation of a lot of religious texts to the vernacular and added his own old English preface to Pope Gregory's pastoral care kind of goes toward that.
>>
>>64693526
TLK.

Vikings is garbage, which TLK is watchable.
>>
>>64694381
Alfred of Wessex, in the Vikings series, appears as the forbidden love child of Aethelstan and Æthelwulf's wife
>>
Last Kingdom. Only bad thing is Utred is main char and not Alfred.
>>
>>64693598
> and unrealisticly badass characters

but everything actually happened. They just changed the church ruse from bjorn to ragnar. But yeah, ragnar's family was badass
>>
Vikings. I kind of lost interest in TLK a bit when Uthred coincidenced his way out of a problem for like the fifth or sixth time. True, Ragnar is pretty fucking overpowered, but he is already an established fictional badass in the sagas - and at least almost everything he does comes form his own volition and planning. Most of Uthred's problem solving abilities come down to unbelievable moments of good fortune repeatedly coming his way.
>>
>>64694941
>I think I read that they will be doing a second series
Yeah, they will. Are the books finished or still on-going? I wonder if they're planning to adapt all of them.
>>
File: vikingslag.png (926KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
vikingslag.png
926KB, 500x749px
>>64693526

Vikings is better simply for that milf lagertha and the battles are better.

Plus Ragnar is more cunning.
>>
>>64693526
my friend's sister got her titties out in vikings so... vikings.
>>
>>64695079
>sharpe

Jesus fuck I can't find those movies in decent quality.
>>
File: Sharpe.jpg (316KB, 1120x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Sharpe.jpg
316KB, 1120x1500px
>>64696990
They're out there somewhere, I remember having them in pretty good quality but have long since deleted them. They've released them on Blu-ray.
>>
>>64696990
in 720p

https://mega.nz/#F!ygUBGRIY!Vo1b4w6eXG2OIXqVL0i8ZQ
>>
File: sharpe liz hurley.jpg (1MB, 3720x3760px) Image search: [Google]
sharpe liz hurley.jpg
1MB, 3720x3760px
>>64697144
oooh yeah.

Pete Postlethwaite was such a cunt.
>>
>>64697231
Regency gowns are awesome: the series
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.