[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the swan song for wide release film projection (a little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (32KB, 250x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 250x370px
Is this the swan song for wide release film projection (a little over 100 theaters)?

If so, is Hateful Eight a fitting send-off?

Tarantino, the worlds biggest film fan, who builds his films off of the films he loves.
>>
I don't know.
But can we have a Hateful Eight thread?
I just finished seeing it in the theater. I had seen it twice in my home, but I wanted to see it in the theater, and pay for it fair and square, and boy am I glad I did.

It made me remember, as much as I hate movie theaters, that some films just need to be seen that way. That intro with the ominous music and the wooden christ in the snow, the whole thing made more sense to me in the theater, the first 30 minutes were much improved, the sense of vastness of the wilderness, the howling wind, the urgency of the blizzard bearing down on them, so much more effective in the theater.

and on that final viewing it became clear to me that Sam Jackson'd character was telling the truth about Bruce Dern's son, whereas before I thought he was embellishing.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (11KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
11KB, 300x169px
>>64692847
Does it have the overture in theatres?

The Road Show event was amazing. Going into a large theatre with an amazing screen. The room filled with a bunch of Tarantino retards and memers.

It was fantastic just walking into that room to the overture music playing. Seeing everybody in the well lit seats getting comfy after coming in from the cold weather.

Finding a seat to claim and going through this souvenir with images of what is to come while the screen is filled blood red and a black silhouette of a horse with carriage, while that fucking awesome Ennio Morricone music plays.

Shit was magic.
>>
>>64693176
I don't know what you mean by overture. I saw it in a totally soulless corporate theater in one of those malls meant to copy The Grove.
I was pretty pleased that the theater was nearly full, though.
God fucking dammit the score was terrific though!
he screen is filled blood red and a black silhouette of a horse with carriage, while that fucking awesome Ennio Morricone music plays.
Well we walked in kind of late (but just in time), but I can pretty much guarantee that didn't happen.

I'm not sure where to rank it against QT's other films, but I do know I like it more than Django, Basterds and Kill Bill I & II
>>
File: Hateful Eight Poster.jpg (187KB, 648x960px) Image search: [Google]
Hateful Eight Poster.jpg
187KB, 648x960px
>>64693364
I keep forgetting to post a photo.
>>
Revenant was better
>>
>>64693407
It's his best film, in my opinion. I think it has a lot to do with the cast, music, editor, and cinematography.

Django is fantastic, but almost seems like a super hero comic book film.

Just my taste but
H8>Djang>Basterds>Kill Bill

So basically he gets better and better.
>>
>>64693478
Tim Roth says it's his best film, and coming from HIM, it's a very bold statement.
I don't know if it can top PF or RD, it might have topped Jackie Brown, which is definitely a great favorite of mine, though.

I've only seen it three times, and each time my experience has been to enjoy it more, so we'll see. It might be a full year or so before I can rank it properly.

I liked Basterds more than Django though. I think I just don't like Jaime Foxx.
>>
Very entertaining Tarantino film, as usual. Not my favorite from him but it was refreshingly restrained for the first two thirds of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZPjlOcZv1M
>>
>>64693664
I agree with Tim Roth. Lately i was bored with the whole copypasta meme Tarantino pulls everytime "this time i copied a japanese movie", "'this time some pasta western" etc
Well this time, even if he still does it, i feel like he made it his own, and it's just so fucking comfy anyway. It even surpassed "Reservoir dogs" which imo was his best so far.
Some people thought it was too long, cause they liked the action based Tarantino, not the 20 minutes dialogue between two guys. But i really didn't see the time pass.
And damn Ennio Morriconne still has it, i love that they used some unused themes from The Thing!
>>
>>64693906
When I watched it in the comfort of my own home I didn't feel the length at all. In the theater I fully appreciated the first two acts a LOT more, but towards the end I felt the length.

Also with Reservoir Dogs I felt like all the actors with the exception of Nice Guy Eddie were at the very top of their game. In Hateful Eight I haven't decided how believable Walton Goggins."Sheriff" Chris Mannix is. I can't decide if I love or hate his performance. I think it has a few weak points.
>>
>>64694305
yeah the problem is Walton didn't have much to play with, his character is just "the guy that may be or may not be a sheriff"...so he uses his accent a lot which feels a bit too gimmicky at some point.
So it's not that he plays it bad or wrong, but it never feels like he's always totally there...
>>
>>64694385
I disagree!
I fee like his character was very instrumental, and necessitated him being dialed in at every moment he was off screen listening to all the other characters talk. In a way he's one of the most intriguing characters. I, like John Ruth, and Major Warren, never trusted him, but he turned out to be one of the most clever characters despite him being a complete white trash hick who was nearly completely self-interested. And despite him being a borderline racist confederate legacy, he ended up siding with Sam Jackson I feel like he had a lot to do, but that he may have let the weight of some of that lengthy dialgoue drag him down at certain points, and overplayed those times where he had more comical lines
But he was part of the comic relief, so I can forgive him for that last part.
And I know people with southern accents you don't ever hear until they have a few drinks in them, I imagine being in a very stressful situation may have a similar effect.
>>
>>64694305
>>64694385
Gotta agree with you guys.
In the slow first half of the film his voice is a bit all over the place and all he really does is antagonise everyone.

However everything he does in that last chapter honestly made me love his character.
In the end I was sad he wasn't going to make it out having grown some common sense from this experience.
>>
>hateful eight thread
>people discussing the movie
>no memes
>no big black dingus
am I on /tv/ anymore?
>>
>>64693664
You mean Tim Roth, star of such movies as The Incredible Hulk and that TV show that got cancelled after a season?
>>
>>64694778
Nope.
Something something reddit.

How would you rate the acting in this one then fellas?
I can't help feeling like Madsen showed his age a bit when he was 'playing' Joe Gage, but pretty much nailed that sadistic fuck thing during the 4 passengers chapter.
Russell felt authentic as fuck and I loved him.
Roth felt like he was having the most fun.
>>
>>64694878
I thought everyone was amazing but madsen either didn't give a fuck or was drunk on set most of the time. The movie really fell apart from me in the last act though, they could have shot kurt russel from under the floorboars at any time. The flashback was also too long for me since it didn't have any kind of payback.
I also don't get why they made such a big deal of the 70mm when the whole movie is set in one room. Overall I didn't think it was as shit as everyone else here makes it out to be but it was definetly one of the weaker tortellini movies for me.
>>
>>64694878
>Madsen
Madsen's always been a pretty sub-par actor, and I endure him in Tarantino flicks because I expect it. He had his shining moment in RD because it was just the perfect guy to play that character. In Hateful Eight it was nice, because even though I'm content to just endure him in his scenes, you get to see him go Mr. Blonde on Zoe and the black stablehand and it's nice. So... Bonus.
Russel was fucking kickass Kurt Russel. Win.
>Roth felt like he was having the most fun.
You nailed it better. While watching it the first time I was like "Why is his character so ridiculous?" and on subsequent viewings I realized it was Tim Roth having fun as the gangster having fun pretending to be The Hangman.
I really loved Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance as well as being pleasantly surprised by channing Tatum.
I feel about Demian Bichir the same as I felt about Roth, and Bruce Dern, nailed that shit, but it's hardly worth mentioning because you knew he would.
>>
>>64694778

There's nothing more to be said. It's just not a good movie. The only people that will discuss it are Tarantino diehards that love anything he does. The rest of us have said our peace
>>
>>64692429
Pretty sure Nolan's next will be shot in 70MM
>>
>>64695013
>I also don't get why they made such a big deal of the 70mm when the whole movie is set in one room.
I can guarantee you didn't see it in a theater.
>they could have shot kurt russel from under the floorboars at any time
Luckily for us, Channing Tatum was not as retarded as you are. Channing shot Sam Jackson from the floorboards and he still had plenty of piss and vinegar to continue shooting, and ultimately hang a motherfuker. why are you so stupid?
>>
>>64695439

>I can guarantee you didn't see it in a theater.

I did. There was no point to it and actual film critics agree with me.
>>
Tarantino jacking himself off over "witty" dialogue for hours while an extremely simple and unsatisfying plot plays out. Total shit.
>>
>>64695456
As far as 70mm goes it's pretty debatable as far as it's worth, but saying
>It's pretty much set in one room
While ultimately accurate, vastly under appreciates the scope, feel, and goal of the outdoor scenes. They're so, very important to the tone of the movie, the claustaphobic, yet still agoraphobic sense of live and death desperation you're suppose to have. I get the same feeling I've gotten when I'm out in say, Death Valley, knowing I could wander 50 feet off a trail and never be seen or heard from again.
>>
Just saw this today. I really liked the slow burn tension of the movie, but I felt like it lost something after SLJ gets shot in the nuts and it skips back in time. I suppose it does explain why there's someone under the floorboards but... so what? The whole sequence seemed kinda unnecessary to me.

I'll also say that the sound design was fucking fantastic. The way the wind and snow literally never lets up during the movie makes it feel a lot more oppressive, and you get a sense for just how goddamn cold it is in there.
>>
>>64695703
>I felt like it lost something after SLJ gets shot in the nuts and it skips back in time.
I see a LOT of people feeling that way, I don't agree, but I think I get it.
I think some people have less tolerance for a long movie than others. And at the end of that scene when the next chapter slate came on the screen, I hear someone in the audience make a kind of impatient and frustrated whine. I guess I get it. At that point you're so invested in getting to the bottom of it, and then they literally put you right back in the beginning, and introduce you to a fucking half dozen other characters. When you've spent 2 fucking hours getting to know the first 9 characters, I can see how that kind of shit would be frustrating.
But QT does LOVE his non-linear stories, and in chronological order, most of the film would have lost most of it's tension.
>>
>>64695439
Kurt russel came in first. They were four on one, I understand not wanting to risk harming sally but they could have taken him easily and then shot everyone else as they came in. It's not like they would have heard the shots with the storm going on. They had all the advantage and wasted it on a poison scheme that relied on everyone drinking it at the same time. And when that failed Tatum wasted his chance by shooting a guy in the balls instead of aiming for the chest. He obviously has decent aim if he can nail a guy's balls. I don't know, by that point I felt like the movie was 3 hours long just because the villains were complete retards.
They also had concealed weapons so they easily could have shot slj and the sheriff while they were distracted from everyone vomiting blood. It makes no sense.
>>
>off of
Let's laugh at this American trying to speak English.
>>
>>64695821
>shooting a guy in the balls instead of aiming for the chest.
Yeah, when you're directly UNDER someone it's just as easy for you to shoot someone in the CHEST as in the BALLS.
Sweet Christ you're a moron.
>>
>>64695877
So he couldn't move at all? That still doesen't explain any other point I made
>>
>>64695456
You saw the 70mm release or the "for the masses" release? I hear a lot of you guys on here complain about that, but you guys completely miss the point of how important the cabin is to the story.

It's like you guys with mad max arguing whether it was a story about max or a story about furiosa, and then completely missing the point that the real star of the of the movie were the vehicles.
>>
File: yucca-valley-36.jpg (352KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
yucca-valley-36.jpg
352KB, 900x600px
>>64696227
If you watch that entire scene where John ruth and Daisy first enter the cabin, not only is John Ruthwalkingback and fourth and back and fourth making the coffee, but you'll also notice he has his gun the entire time on his guard. He puts it down ONCE for about 2 seconds in order to put the lid back on the coffee pot. How good you suppose is Channing's view of what's going on down there? How good you suppose his aim?
I really am going to have to explain this all for you point for point, as if you HADN'T seen the movie.

John Ruth was PARANOID AS A MOTHERFUCKER. Like I said before, Being shot in the nuts don't count you out of the murdering game, and Channing's #1 priority, if it took him 4 days, was to get his sister out alive.
Channing is a lot smarter than you. Blowing your load in the first 5 minutes is exactly what your stupid ass would have done, and why there will never be a movie about you.
He says that the game plan is to wait untill everyone's guard was down, which is what they did, the poison just happened to be a smart movie since john Ruth walked in raving about coffee. Dude probably just had the poison on hand.

Ruth spends his whole first hour int he cabin trying to sniff out the moles, they never expected if he'd have help, nor how to size them up. Their attack on Minnie & co. was easy because they're not fucking 'bout that life. Attacking the mild mannered tenants of an inn, and attacking one, or TWO of the most notable bounty hunters in the land and two of their wild card companions is another.
Now that I've explained it to you as if you were 5.
>>
>>64696560
>>64696560
>>64696560
>>
>>64692429
>RLM make s video about TH8
>200 threads about it in 2 days
Wow guys you are amazing,its an amazing cinema right.
>>
I found the story overwhelmingly boring. There was nothing to it. If I'm being frank there was nothing to set it aside from the modern day westerns made for television, which it could have well been one. A twentieth of the budget could have been spent for the same effect. You knew what was going to happen the whole way through the film and I hadn't read the script beforehand so I wasn't spoiled. Apart from Goggins I wouldn't consider it a well acted piece. Also the narration on chapter four "..and that's why this chapter's called ' Domergue's Got a Secret'" Tarantino trying to inject his artificial coolness.

I do enjoy westerns set in snow though. that, they score and Goggins was pretty based.

3/10
>>
The whole Deus Ex Machina Channing Tatum really dragged the whole movie down. You don't buliild tension with a bunch of armed men in one room some of which are definitely up to something just to have a bad guy noone saw yet blast through the floor and shoot Jackson's balls off.
Also, i think that Walton Goggins can be better with the better director.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.