[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>rewatching prequels >mfw episode one is actually pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

File: Star_Wars__Episode__261298a.jpg (44KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars__Episode__261298a.jpg
44KB, 800x450px
>rewatching prequels
>mfw episode one is actually pretty good aside form Jar Jar

What exactly did Lucas do wrong here?
>>
He dindu nuffin
>>
>>64671154
>implying the childish part of a movie made for children wasn't also amazing

Jar Jar is under rated and ur a fag.
>>
stop posting this fucking meme jesus christ.
>>
>>64671277
This is a meme? what did I miss?
>>
>>64671154
Only problems I had with the movie:
1. Unnatural dialogue
2. Stiff acting
3. Plot is uninteresting/hard to follow
4. All humor stuffed into one unfunny character
>>
>>64671356
it was meant to be an intriguing political thriller, if you couldn't follow it, it's because you have a low iq and this film wasn't meant for you
>>
>>64671268

Yeah, I mean I guess it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Laughed a little at a couple parts.

>>64671277

I'm not kidding. I genuinely enjoyed this more than TFA.
>>
Isn't there a streamlined cut without JJ?
>>
>>64671429
Was still meant for kids.
>>
File: 1450185624104.webm (3MB, 750x398px) Image search: [Google]
1450185624104.webm
3MB, 750x398px
>>
>>64671483
You say it like it's a bad thing, the original trilogy was also meant for kids.
>>
>>64671154
Meh, it was a kids movie, and you could poke holes through the plot.

Not too bad. It's my favorite prequel, 6/10. The other two had their moments but were nowhere near as enjoyable.
>>
>>64671439

If you seriously think that Phantom Menace is better than TFA, you don't deserve to have an opinion on the subject.

You contrarian faggots need to get some better bait.
>>
>>64671154
Lucas' real mistake, if you call it so, was starting the new trilogy with the child-friendliest movie of them all, so that things can progress from good to bad through Eps I-III.

Meanwhile, fans of the OT now were in their thirties or older.

So they wanted a mature movie for mature adults like them. Or a carbon copy of the OT, so they have easier time imagining themselves back in their childhoods like them.

TPM was neither. Therefore a massive blowback with autism galore was inevitable.

Jar-Jar being more annoying than the droids and a couple of decisions that needlessly rustled people's jimmies like midichlorians did not help.
>>
>>64671439
TFA is in the 6/10-8/10 range depending on how you rate movies.

TPM is a solid 6/10.
>>
>>64671515

Why are all the younglings black?
>>
>>64671154
You mean awful
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 614x543px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 614x543px
>Qui-Gon was the first Jedi that Anakin saw
>his lightsaber was green
>Anakin used a blue saber, just like Obi-Wan
>Luke was the last Jedi that Anakin saw
>his lightsaber was green
>>
but without jar jar none of the rest of the movies would have happened OP jar jar is much more important than most realize
>>
>>64671715
>>64671803
I really liked that the parade song at the end was Sheev's theme played to a happier tune, you know the one, the dark humming in Ep.6.
>>
>>64671746
GO AWAY REDDIT
>>
>>64671154
>have something that resembles a potentially intriguing plot
>after the first act, the plot takes a vacation on tatooine
>the movie is now about a boy that needs a win a pod race
>vacation is over, plot is back
>what the? I don't know what's happening now Senate? waat?
>what? we're suddenly back to where the movie started?
>there's a battle? multiple battles? people shooting and lightsabering?
>bam, invasion over

>wait why did we need to go coruscant in the first pl
>written and directed by George Lucas
>>
>>64671840

They all thuglings from Blackonia, Mace Dindu's home planet.
>>
I'll try shilling, that's a good trick.
>>
File: 1447320673730.gif (3MB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
1447320673730.gif
3MB, 350x262px
He made a children's movie, the pod racing scene put me to sleep but my little sister loved every minute of that.
George didn't really do anything wrong apart from Episode 1 being almost entirely pointless, it could have been mostly omitted from the overall story, hell you could understand most of everything that happened before ANH just by watching the better Clone Wars cartoon episodes and ROTS, but all those prequel movies were made for a new generation of Star Wars fans, not for the people who grew up with the OT.
>>
File: TheStandBar640.jpg (87KB, 640x309px) Image search: [Google]
TheStandBar640.jpg
87KB, 640x309px
>>64671154
Thief!
>>
>>64672062
>he doesnt realize how important episode 1 really is
>>
By far my favorite Star Wars flick.
>>
>>64671154
You know what man I felt the same.

Put this shit on the night after TFA, which was god awful.

I always loved this movie even as a kid and guess what? I STILL liked it.

I mean yeah the directing was a little strange sometimes but it was a good movie IMO
>>
>>64672062
>the pod racing put me to sleep
you don't like motorsports, that's all it is, you big vagina
>>
>>64671154
>Don't you just love poorly defined political intrigue plots?
>who is the real bad guy? Is it the weird guy who gives shifty looks whenever the camera is on him? Yes it is.
>Do you like child actors? Well fuck you here's one
>Who is the main character? We'll never tell!
>Like space niggers? Jar Jar is right up your alley! Poop joke XDDD
>Let's shoehorn a racing scene for no real reason as a reminder of when Lucas wasn't a fat lazy asshole
>All the important characters are cardboard!
>I'm sure you remember lightsaber fights in the first few films. We will cut out the boring importance of them and give you the equivalent of flashing lights for a few minutes
>I know how you don't like atmosphere or tension, so we've broken all of those with cuts to happy or comedic scenes after drama and tragedy.
What didn't Lucas do wrong here?
>>
Glad people are coming around on this one.
>>
>>64671154
TPM is the best prequel movie because it has almost none of the bad couch dialogue scenes that make up the bulk of ep2 and ep3. It mostly gets shit because
>MIDICHLORIANS
>JAR JAR
>SENATE

It still has bad pacing and a nonsensical plot with corny dialogue, but good music and art direction
>>
>>64672409
lets not forget the jar jar theory thats beginning to look more and more credible
>>
Qui-Gon and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul was the best action sequence in any star wars movie

The laser walls were a great idea and helped with the pacing and adding emotion to the fight
>>
>>64672447
Still better than TFA.
>>
I am uncertain if this meme is ironic or not.

But I'll say this: The prequels were all terrible.
>>
>>64672507
My favorite part is when Obi loses his shit. Probably the most intense moment in the saga beyond Luke flirting with the Dark Side and going apeshit on Vader.
>>
>>64671515
Mod for Battlefront or Jedi Academy?
>>
>DUDE LMAO SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE TFA SUCKED LUCAS WAS BETTER FRANCHISE IS RUINED PREQUELS HAD IT RIGHT
>>
>>64672527
Still better than TFA.
>>
>>64672232

The final saber fight was the best in the entire franchise.
>>
>>64671268
>Jar Jar is under rated and ur a fag.
kill urself shitposter
>>
>>64672580
Green text all you want, but you know it to be true.
>>
>>64672569
Nah, the best part was when Anakin had to leave his mom behind.. Still puts me to tears everytime I watch it
>>
No.
It's still poorly acted with a shitty plot and boring characters.
>>
>>64672707
For sure, but Obi's rage is absolutely palpable at that point. Good stuff.
>>
>>64672624
>>64672679
>shitposting this poorly
>>
>>64672518
TFA has good pacing, a nonsensical plot, entertaining dialogue, forgettable music and mediocre art direction but good characters which were absent in the prequels.

The prequels hat not one good character that made you go "Hey, I wanna see more of him and what happens to him."
>>
>>64672648
I'm sorry for your condition, friend.
>>
>>64671268
this. not trying to bait or rustle jimmies, I thought jar jar was a funny character and saw nothing wrong with this movie. the 3 did a great job of telling the story of how vader and the empire came to power. but to be fair I was only like 10 when it came out, so maybe if I watch it again I'll change my opinion.
>>
What's funny is 90% of the posters in this thread browse Reddit. I would know because I too browse Reddit.
>>
>>64672784
But the story is more interesting, plus the battles and music are incredibly memorable.

TFA is just JJ masturbating with his childhood SW toys.
>>
>>64672848
>tfw never been to Reddit and tired of hearing from it everywhere
>>
You can hate both TFA and the prequels, /tv/. You can stop with this charade.
>>
>>64672580

>Boy! Sure is great to finally see so many strong female leads in one movie!
>JJ finally got it right!
>>
File: Lucas.jpg (2MB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Lucas.jpg
2MB, 1333x2000px
>>64671913
IT'S POETRY!
>>
>>64672897
>lying on the internet
why
>>
>>64671746

Phantom Menace is better than TFA
>>
>>64672784
>good characters which were absent in the prequels.
>The prequels hat not one good character that made you go "Hey, I wanna see more of him and what happens to him."
Uhm lets see... Darth Maul, Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Padmé, Darth Maul... the list goes on..
>>
>>64672776
and yet all the shitposting is still better than TFA
>>
>>64672784
>TFA
>good characters
>good pacing

Somehow I don't think these words go together.
>>
>>64671154

>What exactly did Lucas do wrong here?

Nothing, You just fell for the "le prequels are shit XD" meme that's been going on for years.

Reminder that fans loved the prequels when they came out. I know, I was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw
>>
>>64672867
The story is intriguing but in the end it's just bullshit politics mixed with plot convenience, while the story in TFA is not in the slightest intriguing.
>>
>>64671154
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJnoL4KR8g

Right there with you OP.
>>
I cannot fucking believe you faggots are defending the prequels now.
>>
>>64673074
>false memory syndrome

go to mandela effect dot com and spread the troof about the shifting reality planes.
>>
>>64671154
Jar Jar could have worked. In both the Merch side and actual character side. His main fault is that he has no arc in the movie. His goofy shit during the battle and his surrendering was bullshit.

He should have been Qui Gon lesson for Obi Wan on the way of the living force and the importance of all creatures
>>
>>64673006
I seem to have forgotten Aniken, probably the best written character in the Star Wars saga.
Also when Jar Jar become a senator he becomes a really well written character. I really wan to see more of him.
>>
>>64671154

Neimodians are not threatening enough for the audience to give a shit about their takeover of Naboo.
Their regular droids are played for laughs in virtually every scene so it's hard to take them seriously.

Padme is such a flat and boring character that because of her the Naboo occupation also becomes irrelevant to the audience.

Gungans are so annoying that you actually want the droids to wipe them out.

The final battle literally hinges on Anakin randomly activating the autopilot, randomly bumbling into a droid control ship and randomly destroying it by chance. There's no tension there, it just happens while the gungans are throwing giant marbles at droids.

The rest of the movie is pretty good.

George seems to have a hard time with coming up with a solid plot backone of the movie.

In TPM tou have this Naboo occupation which is not really that exciting at all, in AOTC there's the assassination attempt/finding the clones thing and in ROTS half the movie is spent mopping up an already defeated separatists.
>>
>>64673211
Don't forget Dexter Jettster. I can't wait for his movie trilogy to see his backstory and what happens to him.
>>
>>64673074
logged in just to upvote this
>>
>>64671154
>hating jar jar
>not thinking blue pilled racism is funny
>>
>>64673006
Don't forget Dexter. All that backstory about the Rishy Maze made him my favorite for ep2. I wonder what happened to his Diner after the Clone Wars.
>>
>>64671803
tfa - 4/10
tpm - 5/10
>>
>>64671154
Shit characters.
>>
>>64673369
>tpm - 5/10
It's more like 8/10, pleb
TFA is not more than a 3/10
>>
>>64673321

probably torched and his wife dismantled in front of him
>>
File: 1450189866290.png (49KB, 599x353px) Image search: [Google]
1450189866290.png
49KB, 599x353px
>>64673451
>tpm
>8/10
>>
>>64673542
Nice contrarian opinions faglord, I bet JJ really wants your dick now (NOT)
>>
>>64672576
Jedi Acadamy, I don't know what mod thoug. Could be movie-battles 2
>>
>>64671154
Just rewatched it yesterday, aside from Jar Jar which you kinda get used to when he is yelling kid Anakin who just can't act and a bit too many uninteresting exposition sequences, the movie is rather enjoyable. More important is that visually the movie is extremely elegant, beautiful shots, beautiful designs, very nice use of CG with short cuts, audio is also very efficient. Just started rewatching AotC, dropped it after 30 minutes, it's simply awful, Hayden is a goddamn robot, the dialogues are cancerous and Lucas threw the narrative in the trashbin to focus solely on 3D wanking.
>>
>>64673468
>implying he was a robosexual and that wasn't just his robotic waitress slave
Dexter is above a lust for metal
>>
>>64673451
more like
> anh - 8/10
>>
>>64673626
*not yelling
>>
>Episode I

Real people doing real shit in real places with a CGI companion.

>Episodes II & III

Real people doing CGI shit in CGI places without a CGI companion.

Lucas took Jar Jar away like the fans wanted and focussed on making the films around the characters where he would advance technology instead. You fucked it for all of us you Jar Jar hating manchildren.
>>
>>64673626
I mostly agree with you except with
>kid Anakin who just can't act
> AotC, dropped it after 30 minutes, it's simply awful
>Hayden is a goddamn robot
> dialogues are cancerous
You should really watch AOTC again, it is great.

>>64673707
wrong
>>
File: 1452364872268.gif (858KB, 317x178px) Image search: [Google]
1452364872268.gif
858KB, 317x178px
>>64671515
>they even added the spinning
>>
>>64671913

POTTERY
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
Instead of doing another space adventure movie he tried to flesh out the universe more with space politics but it fell flat on its face.
>>
the worst thing about prequel shitposting is that some retards will actually confuse it for being truthful and begin legitimately thinking they're good
>>
>>64673626

Stick with AotC. It's really, really good. Especially the end. It builds.
>>
>>64673626
He lost interest when people started shitting on Jar Jar and other minor details in TPM. All the magic of Ep1 is lost in the other prequels. In The Clone Wars he's much more energetic when he found a likeminded soul in Filoni and the audience responses were more favorable.
>>
>>64673811
Pretty much this. The one thing about TPM is that Lucas still tried to shoot and tell it like a SW movie. 2&3 are glorified demo reels.
>>
>>64673858
>>64673736
stop that meme
>>
>>64672983
this
its funny that people genuinely believe that flick TFA was any better. not even memeing here
>>
>>64673852

You're the only one shitposting here, pal.
>>
>>64673736
>You should really watch AOTC again, it is great.

wrong
>>
>>64673736
>>64673858
>You should really watch AOTC again, it is great
>Stick with AotC. It's really, really good
I have rather poor memories of this movie for anything that's not Obi Wan and just 30 minutes in only confirm that Lucas went completely insane with the direction he wanted to do the remaining sequels.
>>
Episode 1 is so visually appealing.
Its a real shame they got so dependent on green screen afterwards.
>>
>>64673968
you are stupid
>>
>>64672983

+1

Better world, story, and characters.

Only some childish dialogue is what takes it down a notch, but I personally don't mind that.
>>
>>64674042
It's clearly more an issue with you having terrible taste and being utterly unable to use punctuation.
>>
>>64674135
retard,
>>
How to fix TPM and make it into an OT-level movie :

- gungans don't exist, when Padme goes back to Naboo they just stage a resistance with what they can and attempt to capture Nute while Anakin knocks out the droid control ship

- Anakin is found on Tatooine as an ace podracer pilot and he's in his late teens, the jedi council still refuses to train him and Jinn still decides to train him anyway. him and Kenobi are roughly the same age but Kenobi agrees to train him which emphasizes their "brotherly" rivalry later on.

-Padme is also aged up a bit to be a couple years younger than Anakin

This pretty much changes a lot of the dynamic in the movie since Anakin is no longer a YIPEE kid and can understand the gravity of his situation more. The Anakin-Kenobi-Padme main trio of characters is immediately established as the core of the PT. Anakin being a cocky pilot who realizes he's also a potentially great jedi makes his ego soar which plays into his fall later.
>>
>>64672983
Faint praise.
>>
>>64671154
>Jar Jar
The Gungins are Negroes who live next to the Romans.
>>
>>64674206
Also he married a Black chick and tried to invoke the spirit of Jurassic Park in a Star Wars film

Lucas is a HACK
>>
>>64673980
>Maul disappears behind the drop-off
>reappears a second later but is suddenly far away

>Qui-Gon jumps on the ramp of the flying spaceship
>no momentun, no airflow

>they immediately leave
>don't make another pass to shoot or bomb Maul or keep track of where he leaves
>>
>>64674075
>>64673939

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHw0wzDCpg
>>
>>64674182
No, this ruins the movie. TPM is great as it is now.
>>
>>64674285

Qui-Gon literally says "patience" a moment later in response to ADD assclowns like yourself.
>>
>>64674285
I always assumed he's moving at such an angle and speed that he could have got there in that short amount of time but it is unbelievable.

Probably used force balance or some bollocks.

Its a transport ship and has no weapons. Also he's an assassin. They're mission is to get the Queen safely to Coruscant. Why would they risk more danger by following the assassin.
>>
>>64674182
If Anakin and Obi-Wan are rougly the same age, why is Alec Guiness so old when Vader's actor in RotJ is clearly younger.
>>
>>64674285
You should clearly not watch any Star Wars with that kind of attitude.
>>
>>64674377
>They're

Fuck me I need some sleep.
>>
>>64674294
Less exposition wouldn't hurt. Especially about that midichlorian thing.
>>
>>64673626
Hayden isn't actually all that robotic but my biggest issue with him in AOTC was that he delivered his dialogue in a higher pitched voice than in ROTS so that he either sounds like a kid trying to be cool ("Jedi business, go back to your drinks" , "You're going to pay for all the Jedi you killed today") or in emotional scenes, very very whiny. And these lines are usually followed by him yelling (which he delivers well), giving the feeling of a whiny spoiled bitch.
>>
The thing about TPA is that the plot makes no sense and the characters are boring as fuck, but despite some aged cgi, it does look pretty reasonable and it does have a somewhat coherent pace and exciting finale. It's bad, but it could have very easily been good. It's mainly problem is the audience can't make sense of the story, characters do things with mental gymnastic motivation. So you're too busy questioning logic to be truly immersed.
>>
>>64674397

because he was sealed off in a specialized suit that pumped nutrients etc etc

stuff like this does not need to be explained in a space fairy tale
>>
>>64674561
>TPA
>The Phantom Awakens
>>
>>64674561

>plot makes no sense

You watching the same movie, amigo?
>>
>>64673744
They did that in battlefront too.
>>
>>64674561
TPM*
>>
>>64674603
>>64674606
>replying to tripfags
>>
>>64674561

>plot makes no sense

this meme needs to end

some local tough guys are bullying a peaceful planet

along the way they chance upon a kid that's super powerful in the force and bring him along to become a jedi

leader of said planet escapes their blocade do report this to the senate, senate can't be bothered to help them because decadent politics

leader decides to take matters in her own hands and goes back to capture the bully leader and force him to fuck off, she succeeds

that's the entire plot, anyone that cant' follow it is a literal retard since they spell out the entire thing to you in moron-level exposition talk
>>
>>64671154
>>mfw episode one is actually pretty good aside form Jar Jar
>mfw OP has shit taste
>>
Why is spinning a good trick?
>>
>>64674655
>Has to use reductionism to leave out a million details
>It makes sense now!
:^)

>>64674649
>Replying by proxy
>>
>>64674561
>the plot makes no sense
It's not even hard to understand.
>>
>>64671154
>>64671268
>>64671439
Damn, OP, you literally failed to stand up to a single post of internet bullying. I hope you're better at defending your lunch money than your opinions.
>>
>>64673626
Seriously give AOTC more time. Once they reach Tatooine the film really hits its stride. Also Kamino is fantastic.
>>
>>64674780
>Through the planet core
>>
>>64674606
>>64674780
>they believe TPM's plot made sense
hellooooo reddit

>>64674783
>AotC
>good
>not the most terrible blockbuster movie ever made
>>
>>64674817

>planet core

If that's what confuses you, then I'm sorry to say that you're a retard.
>>
>>64673892
With AOTC and ROTC Lucas is trying to tell a unique story unlike TFA, and at the same time he's trying to push the boundaries of digital film and digital effects. Star Wars is as progressive with technology as it is regressive in its base concept.
>>
>>64674817
So you're just being autistic.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 450x253px
>>64672784
>The prequels hat not one good character that made you go "Hey, I wanna see more of him and what happens to him."
>>
>>64674887
>With AOTC and ROTC Lucas is trying to tell a unique story
Nah, he's just trying to fill blanks while jumping on every occasion to give us fancy CG stuff that don't really bring much to the plot. TFA is utterly worthless on every aspect though.
>>
>>64674887
>ROTC
wat
>>
>>64674840

Plot made a ton of sense, you moron

>Trade Federation blockades a planet illegally at the behest of someone that can make it legal by promise
>Jedi are sent to talk it out
>doesn't work; they go and rescue the damsel
>get hit on the way out and have to make a stop somewhere nearby
>run into super force baby
>stuff happens and they take him with them; first signs of the Sith returning
>appeal for help back at the Galactic center
>nope
>take matters into own hands and win the day, with some causalities on their side

Easy to follow, no?
>>
File: 1430263881895.jpg (64KB, 535x462px) Image search: [Google]
1430263881895.jpg
64KB, 535x462px
>>64674285
>Applying common laws of physics in space fantasy movie.
>>
>>64674865
>I'm gonna park on the other side of a planet to invade a city
>I'm gonna use roger rogers to invade the city instead of those super robots I had five minutes ago
>The fastest way to the other side of the planet is to swim there through the planet
>The planet is a big field and a single city
>I'll gas jedis and then open the door a minute into the process to destroy what's left of them
>A civilisation has no army and like five people live in the city, even though there's another civilisation that lives on the planets who's leader doesn't care for them and theres a million other civilisations in the galaxy who could invade
>They are invaded by Amazon.com and the senate doesn't care
>Jedis can run at the Mach 2 but only when convenient
>The Jedi take two different ships but they still find eachother after 2 seconds because they land next to eachother
This all happens in the first like... Ten minutes of the movie.
>>
>>64674655
Why are the tough guys bullying a planet in response to taxes when they want keep it a secret and the planet has practically no value?

Because it's a plot-convenient ruse of Palpatine that makes no sense in the first place.

Why does he want the bullies and Maul to capture her or even kill her, when he needs her to set things in motion in the senate?

They would have had all the means to repell the invasion without going to Coruscant.
>>
>>64674840
It's far from it. You need to unlearn what RLM taught you. It's leagues better than TPM because it has characters with depth and a plot that captivates. Get over the romance and cgi. TPM had that as well, and they both had about the same amount of location shooting. AOTC looks worse because it the first major motion picture shot digitally. See, unlike JJ, Lucas likes to push the boundaries of filmmaking. Might say he's a pioneer.
>>
>>64674865
maybe you're the retard, anon
explain why would a trade federation promote a war
explain why doesn't the republic senate believe the reports given by the two jedis they sent to the planet
explain why Naboo is sieged by dozens of battle stations at the beginning and middle of the movie, yet there was only a battle station at the end
explain why does the republic gives too damn importance to a single planet
explain how exactly the gungans's attack would have help the princess and jedis save the day
explain why would maul gave a shit about the whole affair

>>64675003
>trade federation blocks a planet
>it is never explained why would they blockade it, or how they would benefit from a formal recognizition of the invasion
>also they actually try to formalize an occupation despite they want to avoid the republic senate to being informed

you're the moron
>>
>>64674983
And now everyone does it. Lucas is a trailblazer.
>>
>>64674887
>AOTC
>ROTC

>Awakening of the clowns and Rise of the clowns are the two latest entries in George Lucas clown wars series
>>
>>64674999
Reserve Officers' Training Corps
>>
Phantom Menace and The Attack of the Clones should have been a single movie
Just have anakin be a teen jedi who becomes obi-wan's padawan at the start of the movie
turn maul and dooku into a single character
no jar jar
no podracing
first movie ends the same way the attack of the clones did, with the war finally starting
second movie has grievous as the big bad, with maul/dooku as the secondary antagonist. Movie focuses mainly on the war, we get to know and care about the clones
third movie is pretty much the same as the revenge of the sith
>>
>>64675043

Nothing you list is a part of the overall plot, rather details that you find wrong for some reason.

Plenty of explanations for the things you list.

You can make a list of similar things for TFA just as easily too.
>>
Phantom Menace needs an official edit, it can be saved.

watch the anti-cheese edit, it greatly improves the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQBdRcgizc
>>
>>64671154
>Episode I was good except for jar jar

that's like saying 'communism is good except for state controlled economy". That fucking retard ruined every single scene, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, the same way 3PO did with the other movies, and even if we try to ignore it the movie was a solid 6/10.

The other 2 prequels were much better imo
>>
>>64675139
>no podracing
Fuck. Off.
>>
>>64675048
Anon, i saw AotC years before I knew about RLM. It's the biggest trash I have ever seen, and I have no intentions to ever see it again
>>
>>64675079

>I need my hand held, the post

This shit is explained in the opening crawl.
>>
>>64675179
Sorry about your shit taste. My condolences. I guess go watch TFA for the 10th time or just save yourself the money and watch ANH on blu-ray.
>>
>>64675156
>1:32:26
Damn.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 695x572px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 695x572px
>>64671746
>anyone that disagrees with me is a contrarian and if you have an opinion you're OBJECTIVELY WRONG BECAUSE I SAID SO
>>
>>64673744
>James deen played Quagmire
I didn't need this information nor the images in my head. I have no desire to Google this further
>>
>>64675154
>Nothing you list is part of the plot
>Literally all plot points
K
>>
>>64671154
midichlorians
>>
An edited AotC could have been episode one and it wouldn't have made any difference to the story. I dislike TPM because it's was a pointless movie that added nothing but bad things to the franchise.
>>
>>64674397
my headcanon bullshit explanation is that yoda teaches Obi-Wan how to to communicate with Qui-Gon and that reduces his aging it also brings him closer to being a force ghost.
>>
>>64675154
>starting an invasion at the other side of the planet, allowing the jedis to escape despite they will informe the senate about your invasion, and the jedis being damn stupid is not part of the overall plot because I can't refute it

>>64675227
I even refuse to watch Return of the Jedi. I only care about the first two movies made.
I will never own an official copy of any of the movies up until the OUT is available
I watched TFA once and I refuse to watch it again
Care to throw your next attacks? :^)
>>
>>64675300
>AotC
Is a terrible movie when it's not on Kamino.
>>
2bh the prequels are comfy as fuck.
>>
>protest taxation of trade routes
>hope to resolve it by an invasion of a small outlying planet
>keep it a secret and deny it

That's like North Korea protesting UN sanctions by invading a small island in the pacific with 100 inhabitants and then keeping it a secret.
>>
>>64672202
Did the exact same with Ep 3, still more Star Wars then TFA
>>
>>64671154
What are they trying to hit with those light sabers?
>>
>>64673074

I was 21 when Phantom Menace was released and I clearly remember leaving the theater disappointed.
>>
>>64675396
And OT isn't?
>>
>>64674397
Sebastian Lewis Shaw (29 May 1905 – 23 December 1994)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Shaw_(actor)

Sir Alec Guinness CH CBE (2 April 1914 – 5 August 2000)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Guinness

Vader was actually played by an actor almost a decade older than Obi-Wan. Alec Guinness looked much older than he was.
>>
>>64671154
-just typed it. Jar Jar, fart jokes; kids.
>>
>>64673006
>Darth Maul
>Qui Gon
>Obi Wan
>Padme
>Darth Maul

>The list goes on...

>Qui Gon
>Obi Wan
>Padme
>Darth Maul
>Qui Gon
>Obi Wan
>Padme
>Darth Maul
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 806x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 806x348px
How did Obi Wan win when Darth Maul had the higher ground?
>>
>>64675434
the bad guy was trying to hit the good guy but the good guy is preventing the blow
>>
>>64675595
We've been over this. From Obi-Wan's point of view he has the high ground.
>>
>>64675369
Geonosis & Tatooine > Anything besides the saber duel in TPM
>>
a) The podracing kid was a shitty actor, and the whole scene with him taking down a trade federation ship was extra retarded.
b) People didn't like the focus on galactic politics, but it was important in the context of the trilogy to set up Palpatine's rise to power.
c) It's all well and good to say "aside from Jar Jar", but there was a fucking lot of Jar Jar and the gungans.

There are good reasons to dislike Episode 1. Having said that, it did a lot of things right too. Darth Maul was excellent as a villain despite hardly speaking, and the lightsaber fight scenes were great. Pod racing was great. John Williams was on form as usual.
>>
>>64671154
>What exactly did Lucas do wrong here?

Failed to create an engaging story.
>>
>>64675595
That was a really stupid conclusion to an otherwise pretty well choreographed fight scene.

Darth Maul's only power is his considerable combat prowess. He is the opposite of Kylo Ren, minimal force powers, but dynamite with a lightsaber... then he just stands there with a dumb look on his face while Obi Wan flips right past him and chops him in half.

Dumb
>>
>>64675595
Darth Maul didn't receive Obi-One's teachings concerning the high ground. Obi was able to exploit this and surprise him.

Because of his experience with the high ground Obi knew exactly how to counter Anakin when he tried to do the same thing (even when Anakin was spinning!)

It's poetry.
>>
>>64675661
>Geonosis
Great Jedi circus.

>Tatooine
muh mum
>>
>>64675595
Maul had so much high ground he dropped his guard.
>>
>>64675834
>well choreographed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>64675440

Yeah, you were 21. The people defending TPM are all under 30.
>>
>>64675610
Why preventing the blow when he's clearly not hiting you?
>>
>>64671746
TFA will be forgotten like any other major blockbuster once the hype dies down. It is much superior but really no more substantial than eg Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Phantom Menace was a work of genuine artistry and vision. There is more original genius in the set design of Naboo's Theed Palace than there is in the entirety of TFA.
>>
Count Dooku? More like Doodoo
>>
>>64675956
You are clearly autistic.
>>
>>64676015
bad guy was going to stab him but good guy was like no and is pressing his saber down
>>
Makes me happy to finally see people giving Phantom Menace the credit it deserves. Disney has ruined the franchise and will never see half the creativity TPM had.
>>
>>64676025
>There is more original genius in the set design of Naboo's Theed Palace than there is in the entirety of TFA
We need to go back to Jakku.
>>
>>64676269
TFA doesn't even have a tenth of TPM creativity.
>>
>>64673238

you faggot you forgot nothing. this is a fair assessment and i respect your opinion and i bet you smell nice IRL
>>
File: HAHAHAHAHAHA.png (66KB, 725x846px) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHAHAHAHA.png
66KB, 725x846px
>>64671352
>This is a meme? what did I miss?
>>
>>64676137
That's not a thrust
>>
>>64674285

A jedi uses his skills to defend. Never to attack.
Plus sticking around would be a bad idea. Maul could just throw his lightsaber and fuck the ship up if they didn't hurry then they might never get to corascant.
>>
watching it now and already the plot makes no sense and the Trade Federation seem like the biggest idiots ever.
>>
>>64672784

>TFA has good pacing

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA!!!

Holy fuck are you serious?
That movie was literally ACTION ACTION ACTION every fucking 5 minutes. The movie went by so fast that there was no good build up momentum to the final fight. It was horrible pacing.
>>
>>64677000
Hello reddit!
>>
File: Anakin.jpg (68KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Anakin.jpg
68KB, 1024x768px
Threadly reminder that Anakin in Episode III is also the only Star Wars character hot enough to masturbate to (no homo)
>>
File: rest in peace.png (1001KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
rest in peace.png
1001KB, 1280x544px
>>64677206
pleb taste to be honest
>>
>>64675595

I think obiwan was playing mind games with maul when he was hanging onto the edge here. Theres a scene where obiwan is looking at maul and mauls facial expression just changes right before obiwan gets back up and kills him. Like he goes from content to extreme confusion. Someone wanna check that?

I honestly always thought that maul was using the force to try and predict what Obi-wan was going to do and since obi-wan was feeling anger seeing his mentor get killed his feelings and thoughts were easier to read in his anger. But Obi-wan cleared his mind and that gave maul a disadvantage or something.
>>
>>64676025
Theed Palace is original set design?
But it was a real palace in Italy.
>>
>>64677400
The real location was obviously heavily dressed, and there are also totally fabricated parts of this environment like the generator hall where Darth Maul pushes Obi-Wan and Liam Neeson's shit in.
>>
>>64676699
I'm not going to explain it to you
>>
>>64671154
He chickened out and didn't stick with the reveal of Jar Jar being the master sith, because of the backlash about Jar Jar in Episode one. The prequels are meant to mirror the original trilogy, but in Episode II there is no big reveal. Instead we get worthless Dooku arbitrarily thrown in for a token villain.
>>
>>64677465
Do you think the generator hall is more original than the set where Luke loses his hand? Or where Han dies? I think these are all more or less on par with one another.
>>
>>64673980
>that un-natural, jittery motion of the cgi maul after he jumps off the bike and swings his saber at real Gin
>>
File: sheev.gif (2MB, 438x363px) Image search: [Google]
sheev.gif
2MB, 438x363px
>>64677206
I fap to Sheev's sex O-faces.
Just look at this..
>>
>>64672784
>Good pacing
Certainly not, it was too fast.

>Good Characters
Debatable IMO. In FTA, all of the characters get some funny lines or whatever, and none of them are stiffly acted. The dialogue mostly is solid (Kylo Ren has some clunkers), and they generally have to emote. So you don't grow to hate any of them whenever they come on screen, and they're always doing something.

But you are going to have to qualify what you mean by 'good'. Finn was 'good' IMO, but I couldn't help but be annoyed at his origin story (somehow his indoctrination didn't prepare him for seeing other soldiers die or killing civilians, and somehow he suddenly becomes cool with killing after they show him being shaken by it). Poe is fine as a side character, but I wasn't a fan of Rey.

>>64673626
>>64673736
Yeah, AotC is basically sunk by terrible dialogue for Anakin and the unbelievable romance. He's bickering with Obi-wan too much and comes off like a creep to Padme.

If we had a teenaged Anakin in TPM (with some modifications), Lucas could have done something to set up the romance, and with a less stiff/creepy Anakin we won't be sick of the love stuff by the time we get to Padme kissing Anakin as they enter the arena (only part in the whole movie they managed to look like they actually had a bit of a thing for each other).

However, Obi-wan's parts are all fairly good (except his meeting with Dooku, no reason for him to be so dead-set against him it seemed). The Tatooine part is solid; the action on Geonosis is good up until the duel, which didn't look nearly as good as TPM's. Outside of a few second of Anakin and Dooku going at it silently with only their swords illuminating their faces, it looks badly choreographed.

It just starts off so poorly with Anakin and doesn't close strongly with the duel, so the fine parts of it are mostly forgotten.
>>
>>64674182
>gungans don't exist, when Padme goes back to Naboo they just stage a resistance with what they can and attempt to capture Nute while Anakin knocks out the droid control ship

I don't think that this really 'fixes' things much. The part where the droid army deploys is a great moment (good music always helps).

>Padme is also aged up a bit to be a couple years younger than Anakin
You don't really need to. How old was Padme anyways? I couldn't tell. She's in the same range as teenage Anakin, so I think she's fine as is.

Age-up Anakin as you said, have the droids be a little more intimidating, drop the mediclorians and you're most of the way there, plus it helps out AotC.
>>
>>64677268
What game is this?
>>
>>64675043
>I'm gonna use roger rogers to invade the city instead of those super robots I had five minutes ago
Those droids are super-cheap and the planet has basically a police force, no real army. The Droidekas do show up though.

>The fastest way to the other side of the planet is to swim there through the planet
It's somewhat hollow, because the humans mine some sort of plasma out of the core. That's what those purple beams are in the final lightsaber duel. They could have bothered to explain this of course.

>The planet is a big field and a single city
And the swamp. Look, they can't visit everywhere on the planet. This is nitpicky IMO.

>I'll gas jedis and then open the door a minute into the process to destroy what's left of them
Nute assumed the gas would kill them straight away and the droids were immune to the gas and got sent in to destroy the bodies. What is hard/wrong about this?

>A civilisation has no army and like five people live in the city, even though there's another civilisation that lives on the planets who's leader doesn't care for them and theres a million other civilisations in the galaxy who could invade
The droids emptied out the city and put people in camps to 'process them'. The gungans just stick to themselves, and the galaxy had been at peace for many years. They just had enough armed people to deal with pirates. It's okay to have unimportant places lack a real army, look at small countries in Europe.

>They are invaded by Amazon.com and the senate doesn't care
That's the point, it's useless due to corruption, decadence, etc. Explaining the TF's motives a bit more would have been nice, but we already have plenty of exposition dialogue.
>>
>>64671445
There should be. You can literally cut out 99% of his scenes and it wouldn't effect the movie one bit.
>>
>>64677268

What Windows 95 screensaver is this?
>>
>>64671445
>>64680522
it was posted earlier >>64675156

and taking out JJ is a vast improvement.
>>
>>64673980
W8... after Maul jumped off the bike and made this unnatural CGI move their swords clashed but it looks like Maul hit Qui-Gon's handle.
>>
>>64673238
>Padme is such a flat and boring character that because of her the Naboo occupation also becomes irrelevant to the audience.
Part of the problem here is that she's pretending to be a handmaiden and basically isn't in the movie for the first act. If you mean the Queen who is her decoy, she's being all stately and dignified like royalty should be.

I'm not sure how exactly to fix this.

The battle only really hinged on capturing the viceroy. The gungans were literally a distraction to empty the city of droids, and so long as the cowardly viceroy had a gun put to his head it wouldn't matter how many droids were active - so even blowing up the mothership wasn't necessary. It boils down to them being action set pieces.

Personally I didn't mind the gungans (they weren't annoying outside of Jar Jar, who even the gungans clearly look down on), they just aren't that important.
>>
>>64671746
I need to rewatch the prequels to be sure, but after watching TFA I really started to feel like the prequels might be better. I came out of the theater with more complaints than good, which I suppose is good for discussion, but it was not that good in hindsight
>>
>>64680903
*parp*
>>
>>64672232
>I know how you don't like atmosphere or tension, so we've broken all of those with cuts to happy or comedic scenes after drama and tragedy.

sounds like the end of RotJ. They had all the great parts of it cut between silly ewok antics. The way they take out the storm troopers is just silly slapstick and they put that shit adjacent to lukes whole confrontation with vader and the emperor.
>>
>>64672784
>good characters
Rey never has any conflict or struggle through the entire movie. What's worse is if she gets bodied in the sequel like she should it will just look like an ESB rip-off. Shes pretty much un-redeemable.

Finn is almost good, but then they made him kill people when the whole reason he wanted to leave the order was because he wanted no part of that shit

Most of the OT characters seem really out of character and only make sense if you ignore the OT's existence.

The characters are pretty fucking bad and they can't really be redeemed. Just hope Mark Hamill can carry the sequel better than Ford did for TFA
>>
TFA could have easily been uploaded to youtube as a fan film, why didn't they just do that?
>>
How the fuck did Qui-Gon become a jedi master? He was exhausted from fighting Maul for less than a minute.
>>
>>64681446
*parp*
>>
>>64681446
Isn't Maul supposed to be the first Sith they have fought in 1000 years?
>>
>>64671154
If the Darth Jar Jar thing was true, he would have been great.
>>
>>64681446
They had just hurried through the desert
>>
/tv/ is so fucking predictable

I called this prequel/lucas cocksucking meme like a month before TFA came out
>>
>>64682206
*parp*
>>
>>64672202
>>64675433
when did this "prequels are good" meme get so popular?
>>
>>64671356
>4. All humor stuffed into one unfunny character
>implying the droids weren't funnier than jar jar
>>
>>64671483
>>64671715
If it was made for kids, then it wasn't fucking right. Children have become too desensitised to violence in the last two decades. When I saw it as a child I got fucking haunted by Qui-Gon-Jin's death, especially hearing his death scream and seeing the burn wound in his torso.

Never watched it again till later.

I can watch horror movies involving spoopy demons and ghosts and shit but gore just always messed with me.
>>
>>64682206
the prequel haters were always the loudest, but there were a always few that liked the prequels and were laughed at and ignored.

now the prequel lovers are getting their revenge because the new trilogy is a disneyfied piece of shit.
>>
>>64682766
>prequel lovers

dear lord please end your life
>>
>>64671356
>1. Unnatural dialogue

? Da fuuq

nigga they in space flying space ships talking to space jews and shit and you are worried about the dialog not sounding like earf? Negro please
>>
>>64672062
I agree. Ep. 1 is a childrens movie, it was meant to hook the children into the star wars universe thereby locking in a HUGE audience for the next 2 installments.

It didnt have to be good (nostalgia is a powerful thing, most of the movies and shows you enjoyed as children are shit in hindsight) just get hype enough to sell shit.
>>
>>64681446
He wasnt tired fool. If you are talking about their fight before they left tatootnie its because fighting Maul wasnt not his mission. His mission was the queen and to get her to the senate.
>>
>>64682206
Pfft I said the same thing about other movies.

Ive always liked the prequels. Ive always said they were better films than the OT. Wish I could go look up all my old post. Ive been saying it for years. You are just a faggot that hates that other people like shit you dont like.
>>
File: nat.jpg (1MB, 1000x1550px) Image search: [Google]
nat.jpg
1MB, 1000x1550px
Reddit-RLM nihilists plebs are SJWs so they prefer TFA's desert mary sue over Jewish space angel.
>>
>>64671515
Luke, did I ever tell you about spinning? It was a good trick
>>
>>64677268
>Antz
>>
>>64682640

> You were right about one thing master

> The negotiations were short ;)
>>
>>64671154
Yo reddit whats good?
>>
>>64671781
Hey reddit
>>
>>64684356
I liked when Obi Wan was stuck on the ship while jar jar and qui gon and padme went looking for parts. He says "I dont want to be stuck on this planet for long" Nigga ends up stuck there for a kid to grow up to an adult.
>>
>>64671154
1. Anakin was too young, having a 9 year old in a leading role in your scifi/fantasy action/adventure movie is fucking stupid. He should have been Portman's age or older, and they should have used him through all 3 movies.
2. Jar Jar was too forced. He was annoying mostly because he was everywhere, he should have stayed on the ship on Tatooine and Obi Wan should have come instead.
3. Amidala is a completely dead character, her lines are boring and she is terrible at delivering them.
4. The ending was too cluttered. ROTJ already kind of had this issue with the more lighthearted Ewok scenes interrupting the more dramatic, tense scenes in space. In EPI, you had SPINNING, the Gunga battle, the Throneroom assault and the duel of the fates. The space battle was irrelevant and was only included for POETRY purposes. The Gungan battle should have been cut back in editing. The focus should have been on actions in the palace.

I generally agree though, TPM had the most potential to be a good movie of the prequels.

>>64677605
Hello Reddit.
>>
File: 1439319472568.gif (897KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1439319472568.gif
897KB, 300x169px
When will this meme end... I can't go on any longer...
>>
File: 1437745520875.png (114KB, 197x241px) Image search: [Google]
1437745520875.png
114KB, 197x241px
>>64671746
reddit please
>>
Rewatch the prequels NOW:
http://instasync.com/r/HighGround
>>
>>64671154
he made a movie for children not manchildren
Thread posts: 255
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.