[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the Prequel Trilogy so hated? What's so bad about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

File: PrequelTrilogy.jpg (141KB, 752x371px) Image search: [Google]
PrequelTrilogy.jpg
141KB, 752x371px
Why is the Prequel Trilogy so hated? What's so bad about it?
In case you didn't know episode 1-3 was meant to be done first but because they were gonna cost too much Lucas chose to do 4-6 first and then wait a couple of years because of the budget and fx. 1-3 is atleast as important as 4-6 so I don't get why everyone hate them?
>>
It's a reddit thing
>>
just watch the plinkett reviews you dumb piece of shit
>>
>>64650075
It was good. It was dark and sad.
This new shiet episode 7 is a fucking marvel movie. It was shiet. It dishonord the original trilogy and the prequels.
>>
>>64650075
1 and 2 are genuinely bad movies. However most of the hate comes from redditors etc who don't actually like star wars (but pretend to because it's trendy) quoting the Plinkett reviews. 3 is hated because Plinkett happened to hate it. It's nowhere near a terrible movie like 1 and 2.
>>
>>64650075
Whether the movies are good or bad, the Star Wars posters are all so beautifully done. They really capture that epic feel.
Except Episode 7.
>>
>>64650127
tips.
>>
Episode III was dope, and I like the racing in Episode I
>>
1 and 3 are good, 2 is meh. However, all three prequels definitely feel like Star Wars. TFA does not feel like Star Wars at all.
>>
They are patrician films, plebs and redditors can't understand them
>>
>>64650209
This.

Please, PLEASE let's stop defending TPM and AOTC just to be contrarian. They're objectively bad movies. Especially Attack of the Clones. Christ, AOTC isn't even hilariously bad, it's just fucking godawful.
>>
Faggots on this board have become so contrarian that they are actually defending the fucking prequels.

I don't think a meme such as this has ever been conceived before.
>>
>>64650075
>What's so bad about it?

Essentially everything.

>In case you didn't know episode 1-3 was meant to be done first

Lucas is a lying liar who lies. He's changed his story so many times on what his reasons for giving the subtitle "Episode IV" to Star Wars were over the years, it's enough to make your head spin, and it's very clear that, whatever his ideas were for Episodes I-III were in 1980, he didn't use them at all in actually producing the Prequels and just threw them together in very haphazard fashion. They're plagued with extremely basic storytelling errors that indicate hurried writing and little editing.
>>
>>64650263
>>64650280
>>64650284
>>
5 > 4 > 6 > 3 > 7 > 1 = 2

desu
>>
Why are the prequels such a complete disaster?

George Lucas is a poor director of actors.
Memorable characters are virtually non-existent.
Bad scriptwriting, particularly dialogue.
Lazy story structure. Major plot points often make no sense or require characters to act in a nonsensical way to move the story forward.
Poor editing.
Poor casting choices.
"Yes men" around George Lucas were afraid to stand up to him when his ideas were bad.
Merchandising-driven storylines.
Bland stories/characters pitched more explicitly at children (e.g., no sardonic "Han Solo" type characters).
Poor CGI.
Too much CGI in general.
Over-reliance on Original Trilogy for references and ideas.
Jar Jar Binks.
Nothing happens for two movies and everything is jammed into the last, somehow managing to make all three equally shit.
>>
>>64650322

>bad opinions: the post
>>
>>64650296
Not today Reddit. Just give it up.
>>
> 1-3 was meant to be done first

Please don't tell me you believe that shit Lucas has been telling about the stories.

He did ANH first because that's where his story originally started. He came up with the story for the prequels years after the OT.

He didn't even know how to continue after ANH until it became apparent that there'd be a sequel.

Originally, the emperor wasn't evil amd Vader was one of many Sith lords and not Luke's father.

That alone proves that Lucas has just been making up shit about his alleged vision for decades.

Lucas is a hack and a liar who got lucky once.
>>
The only thing worse than the prequels were bad meme is the OT were masterpieces meme

It's all shitty 5/10 pulp sci-fi which heavily relies on sfx
>>
>>64650322
http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/
Not even gonna waste my time with the other shit, you plinkett faggots are teh worst, l2think for yourselves for fuck sake
>>
>>64650394
Tell me when you direct a multi billion dollar franchise lol
>>
>>64650467
People don't watch Star Wars for the plot they watch it for explosions and space ships and aliens

Anyone who tries to pretend otherwise to justify their extreme attachment to the series is fucking pathetic
>>
they are all bad for different reasons
episode 1 feels very unpolished, like the movie feels off and badly planned out. this one it feels like they just assumed it would be good and werent worried about the problems it could have
episode 2 has a fucking awful script and the actors (all of whom are good) cant carry how boring so much of the movie is because of the ridiculously bad dialogue. its bogs down everything, also episode 2 is the least memorable of the movies visually so the weakness of the dialogue pulls it down so much.
episode 3 tries too hard to be a really epic character portrait. but in this one more than the others almost the whole movie is about the jedis internal workings, so the epic scale doesnt work because we dont really see whats happening from other perspectives (like the gungas, nabboo citizens and anakin in episode 1 or padme in episode 2). so it feels anticlimactic because the jedi are the only institution of the republic we see effected
>>
>>64650564
> what is a retard that doesn't understand star wars
>>
>>64650603
*tips fedora*
>>
since tfa everybody is trying to revise the prequels quality but you guys need to actually go back to these movies. i watched the phantom menace yesterday and its so awfully put together and dull for a star wars movie when you try to watch the whole thing
>>
>>64650564
that's not true Star Wars WAS a space opera through and through, but what you said is probably true after seeing episode 7
>>
>>64650714
well meme'd my friend
>>
Story was better untold.

Vader used to be a cinematic legend of a villain, now we know he's just an arrogant, miserable whining teenage faggot who turned to the dark side to save his shitty waifu and even failed at that.

Also what the fuck happened to the force. Midichlorians are the worst idea in film since John Landis told the helicopter to fly lower.
>>
>>64650815
Nah, he was already a tragic character, and seeing a Paradise Lost story executed well would actually have improved on the foundation of Empire and Jedi
>>
I'm actually glad that Lucas didn't try his hands at the sequels.

It's easy to ignore the prequels and I have the feeling that we won't see much mentioning of them if any in the upcoming movies.

Just imagine how badly Lucas would have fucked up the sequels.

Walking and talking and greenscreen everywhere.
>>
>>64650957
I know, thank god for Disney for serving annual uninspired shit with a side of diverse cast
>>
>>64650957
TFA is as bad as the prequels
>>
I wish the liking the prequels meme would die already. You're not fooling anyone being contrarian faggots pretending to like the prequels because TFA was well received.
>>
>>64650815

>Vader used to be a cinematic legend of a villain

Is this related to how you guys obsess over hairlines and celebrity gossip? Vader was a terrible character in the OT. He had zero development and zero interesting characteristics until the very end of the last movie.

>miserable whining teenage faggot

I get the feeling you guys exaggerate and cry about any realistically portrayed character because they remind you of yourselves, minus the intelligence, proficiency, and internal struggle of course. Deciding whether to eat 6,000 or 7,000 calories on a day doesn't count as an internal struggle. Anakin's "whining" is, at worst, an acceptable portrayal of a sensitive kid who is damaged from his childhood. In the real world he'd be likely considered as having a personality disorder, which is a double-edged sword.

I really think what happened is Anakin's "entitled whining" scenes, which were really a manifestation of his passion and difficulty coping with certain inevitabilities of the universe, reminded me of the time you threw a temper tantrum at 16 years old because your mom didn't finish the hot pockets in time. The only alternative is that you're one of those abysmal, shallow pieces of human garbage who thinks calling someone "bald" is a criticism. In that case, go back to reading teen gossip magazine you waste of space and oxygen.

tl;dr The prequels are the only thing that makes Vader a good character at all. They give him depth, even if the nature of that depth triggers shallow, insecure crybabies.
>>
>>64651098
>He had zero development and zero interesting characteristics until the very end of the last movie.
Rewatch Empire Strikes Back, there's plenty of scenes dedicated to Darth Vader as a character
>>
>>64651098
Try taking my opinion more personally next time.
>>
>>64650263
I disagree. AOTC is hilariously bad. I rewatched it recently, and while god awful, it's still humorously bad not just boring.
>>
>>64650984
>>64651020
>>64651098
YEAH US REDDIT BROS GOTTA HAVE EACH OTHERS BACK. THE PREQUELS WERE GREAT YOU STUPID ASSHOLES.
>>
>>64651098
>BAWWWWWWWWWWWW: the post
>>
>>64651169
Black lives don't matter and Finn was jar jar tier
>>
>>64650075
They're poorly-written and rely too much on CGI.
>>
>>
>>64651217
YEAH YOU TELL EM FELLOW REDDITOR. WE DON'T LIKE BLACK PEOPLE OR "NIGGERS" AS WE REDDITORS LIKE TO CALL THEM, IN OUR STAR WARS MOVIES. HMPH.
>>
>>64650127
>just watch the reddit reviews you dumb piece of shit

uh no.
>>
>>64650075
daily reminder that any retard that tries to insinuate that the prequels are only hated because of those stupid plinkett reviews is only trying to generalize the legitimate hate for the prequels so they can stick their fingers in their ears and pretend their special

plinketts reviews for the prequels were popular because the movies were shit and everyone hated them
not the other way around
>>
>>64650263
Hello Reddit!

Upboated my good sir!
>>
>>64651365
What are you doing on 4chan Reddit?
>>
>>64651308
Yeah can't wait until all those racist redditors go back to reddit and we can talk about how much of a genius jj abrams is and how we want boyega to fuck our wives in peace
>>
File: cucked.jpg (7KB, 333x259px) Image search: [Google]
cucked.jpg
7KB, 333x259px
>>64651463
I'm glad someone finally gets it.
>>
>>64650304
1 is better than 7
>>
>>64650957
I wish I could upvote you twice *chuckles softly* The creator of Star Wars just doesn't understand Star Wars! You and me? We get it. . epic bromance
>>
>>64651708
you need to go take some autism pills and sit in the corner until you calm down
>>
File: 1451987602825.png (369KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
1451987602825.png
369KB, 500x498px
>>64651020
>>
File: 1447320982774.jpg (51KB, 394x379px) Image search: [Google]
1447320982774.jpg
51KB, 394x379px
>>64650209

>tfw people actually believe the only reason people hate the Prequels is because of Plinkett.

I hate this god damn website so much.
>>
>>64651752
*I draw my sword-cane and mutter a quiet oath as I drive it deep into his back.*
>>
File: 1375845152530.jpg (45KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
1375845152530.jpg
45KB, 377x500px
>>64651800
But that's right. The prequels are comfy as fuck. Fun storytelling, awesome worlds, great characters, awesome action, and meaningful moments. True Star Wars.

I noticed that before 2009, a lot of people liked the prequels. Many were disappointed, but few outright hated them, and like I said, A LOT of people were willing to say they liked them. A thread like this couldn't exist today:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.72432-Am-I-the-only-SW-prequels-fan

Ever since Plinky the fat fuck made his reviews, the hatred for the prequels has literally been memed into the stratosphere (similar to the hate for Nickelback or Dane Cook). Redditors constantly link to his reviews as if "Another guy said these movies suck so they suck!!!1111 I can't form my own opinions lol11!" He nitpicks the movies so much, his fans don't realize that you can nitpick ANY good movie to that level and it'll look bad.
>>
File: 1451831576030.jpg (26KB, 396x360px) Image search: [Google]
1451831576030.jpg
26KB, 396x360px
>>64652125
you're so full of shit jesus christ

everyone hated the prequels, from the beginning. Unless you're a child you had to be alive at that time, right?
>>
File: 1424318532615.jpg (10KB, 221x225px) Image search: [Google]
1424318532615.jpg
10KB, 221x225px
>unironic prequel defence
>>
>>64652289
>falling for the prequels were bad meme

They're not good but no Star Wars flick is
>>
>>64652312
>falling for the ebin prequels were good meme
>>
Remember that episode of Spaced that was all about how badly Lucas fucked up episode 1??
Stop acting like anyone liked these fucking movies. Except episode III, I remember that getting a good response. But episode II was universally loathed. I still kinda like I, but c'mon guys I'm tired of these gay ass threads
>>
>>64652327
They're not good. They're mediocre. Just like the other four star wars flicks
>>
>>64650075

>In case you didn't know episode 1-3 was meant to be done first but because they were gonna cost too much Lucas chose to do 4-6 first and then wait a couple of years because of the budget and fx.

Stop making shit up.
>>
>>64650304
I don't exactly agree with your order, but think it's defensible.
>>
>>64651098
Wow, that comment really hit you hard, didn't it?
>>
File: 1446692978388.jpg (56KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
1446692978388.jpg
56KB, 597x519px
>>64651098
>>
File: 1450961556947.gif (80KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
1450961556947.gif
80KB, 248x203px
>>64651098
Upset baldy detected.
>>
>>64650075
shot reverse shot EVERYWHERE
shitty dialogue, no one displayed any emotion ever, especially in choreography.
>>
>>64651098
I agree. Fuck these redditors, they probably think TFA was good too. Literally nothing wrong about the prequels maybe except for jar jar binks but he's nonexistent after ep1. I'll never understand why people keep throwing Jar Jar Binks into arguments whenever the topic of why the prequels were bad come up.
>>
>>64650296

You know that just blathering "reddit" as a means of brushing aside rebuttal is a sign that you have no argument and have lost, right? Dismissing your critics is the lowest form of debating fallacy.
>>
>>64652952
Here we have the wild redditor out of its natural habitat in /tv/
>>
>>64650127
This
>>
File: 1392836628025.gif (1000KB, 250x137px) Image search: [Google]
1392836628025.gif
1000KB, 250x137px
>>64650075
>I don't understand the basic concepts of filmmaking. Nor do I understand what constitutes good writing, characterization, pacing, or storytelling. Why isn't everyone else as ignorant as me? Is it because I grew up watching this garbage?

Fixed that for you, retard. Here's all the answers you'll ever need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D&v=FxKtZmQgxrI
>>
File: 1451810318553.jpg (219KB, 1273x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1451810318553.jpg
219KB, 1273x1024px
>>64650075
>In case you didn't know episode 1-3 was meant to be done first but because they were gonna cost too much Lucas chose to do 4-6 first and then wait a couple of years because of the budget and fx. 1-3 is atleast as important as 4-6 so I don't get why everyone hate them?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.