[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Go to see star wars TFA >Leave theater >Realize that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: MYALLIEISTHERAGEOFDARKSIDE.jpg (119KB, 695x642px) Image search: [Google]
MYALLIEISTHERAGEOFDARKSIDE.jpg
119KB, 695x642px
>Go to see star wars TFA
>Leave theater
>Realize that what I just watched wasn't star wars at all
>MFW

Why did this movie not feel like starwars?
Was it the camera directions? Was it the atmosphere? Was it the pacing? The designs look like they are star wars but theres something about watching the movie that made it feel like I was watching something else with the star wars title.

Every second there was some action scene and every battle scene felt like it was all the same, there was no build up to the final battle scene which should be the most insane. There were hardly any moments for characters to talk and develop before some crazy thing happens.

Was it from the camera angles they used? Was that part of the problem? Was it the humor they put into the movie that made it feel more comedic then some soap opera?

WHY WAS TFA NOT STAR WARS!?!?!
>>
>>64633143
You forgot to mention how good you think the prequels are now ;)
>>
>>64633203
Both were bad in different ways
>>
>>64633203

The prequels are not good. They ruin a lot of things the OT had.
But they at least felt like they were star wars when I watch them.
TFA feels like I'm just watching something else that just has the name Star Wars in its title.
>>
>>64633258
Right on cue
>>
>>64633143
>>64633258
Because JJ "Lens Flare" Abrams turned it into a marvel movie.
>>
>>64633143
It was just another Disney Marvel action movie but this time with Star Wars characters
>>
>>64633143

I think it was a combination of the constant quips, extreme close ups and lack of the "soap opera pensive shots" (focusing on a character as they don't say anything but can tell there's internal dialogue going on).
>>
>>64633143
Looking back, the prequels were actually pretty good. TFA is awful. Jedi is the next best, and Empir was surprisingly lackluster last time I watched it. New hope is better.
>>
>>64633143
star wars > jedi > phantom > sith > empire > clones > force
>>
>>64633143
It was almost entirely the pacing
>>
>>64633143
>goes to see Viet Nam war picture
>complains it's not WWII picture

The world changed without you, anon.
>>
>>64633258
Sounds to me like you can't handle change old timer. This movie was made for a new generation of Star Wars fans and the sooner you can accept that, the sooner you can move on.
>>
>>64633477
The only thing I'll give the prequels is that they felt new. They showed us a different side to the world of Star Wars. TFA did not.
>>
>>64633143
no 20th century fox fanfare
>>
>>64633143
>Not Star Wars
>Literally about smugglers, bounty hunters, and rebels fighting against an authoritarian regime. The Force is back to being a mystical thing practiced only by a few individuals instead of everyone and their dog doing it.
>Not Star Wars.

It's more Star Wars than the prequels were.
>>
>>64633555

WELL FUCK THE NEW GENERATION!
>>
I think it's because they had to add a black guy or they would get shit on.
>>
>>64633203
>>64633362
>HURR DURRR it's a totally original Star Wars film!!!

it's quite clearly a generic action movie in Star Wars clothing you morons, regardless of how bad or good anyone thinks any movie from the OT or PT is.
>>
>>64633742
>a generic action movie in Star Wars clothing

just like star wars
>>
>>64633143
>Why did this movie not feel like starwars?

Because the movie uses every chance it gets to remind you that it's a movie

Verbatim rehash of the first movie, constant winks and nods to the audience breaking the 4th wall.

Also it has a lot of charm but no heart and soul. It can make you laugh but it can't move you emotionally. It's dramatically flat.
>>
File: 1446959852559.jpg (159KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1446959852559.jpg
159KB, 1500x1500px
>>64633782
"no"
>>
>>64633143
The prequels don't feel like Star Wars at all to me.

This did.
>>
File: 84885967.jpg (44KB, 625x795px) Image search: [Google]
84885967.jpg
44KB, 625x795px
>>
>>64633741
Come on /pol/ at least call him a nigger
>>
>>64633143

It felt like Star Wars made by a committee, not a bunch of talented creators like the OT was.
>>
>>64633541
How was it a vietnam?

IMO vietnam would be the new republic and empire in a superpower stale mate, then the new republic starts shit by trying to liberate some loyalist system. A cold war vibe star wars might be cool too
>>
File: 1415569122971.jpg (217KB, 1900x816px) Image search: [Google]
1415569122971.jpg
217KB, 1900x816px
>>64633143
The directing was shit for a Star Wars film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFhp594RlU

Notice the mostly still camera while the action unfolds in front of it, no shakiness, no blurs, quality camera work. Sometimes there is a slight pan to left or right or zoom, but its never disorienting like TFA

If JJ Abrams had done the tractor beam scene, it would have been a giant blue laser engulfing the ship while the whole camera shakes while Han struggles and yells "I CAN'T GET OUT OF IT" or something while a bunch of shit starts shooting sparks and steam everywhere

Here is an example of the Falcon in TFA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_7aDFqncE

Notice the camera is never still, its constantly shaking, while the characters yell shitty generic lines and have a bunch of peripheral shit going on. This is because JJ can't create tension without shitty forced action shots, literally every shot is so dense

Star Wars always did more with less, and had a distinct feel for it. This is what TFA fails at the most, it feels more like Spiderman 2 with Star Wars stuff rather than an actual Star Wars film

Anyone got the webm of JJ's signature shaky zoom that he uses in literally everything?
>>
>>64633891
This

Back in star war's prime, they wouldn't accept anything that retreaded old ground, and they wouldn't settle for less than a story driven by profound ideas that expanded and elevated star wars.

Then Lucas had to be a faggot and Kurtz quit. Fuck
>>
>>64633143
I think the biggest part is that the other episodes had a lot of little pointless conversations/small talk and intrigue which added immersion to it. This one was basically a hyper-fast action movie with humor that also had so many forced-in apperances it felt completely un-immersive IMO.
>>
File: 1413234371782.jpg (2MB, 4125x2750px) Image search: [Google]
1413234371782.jpg
2MB, 4125x2750px
>>64633742
You just want to hate it. I thought for what it was, it was a pretty good movie. Not great, but it was refreshing to see actual practical effects. Say what you will about JJ Abrams, but he can direct an entertaining movie, he's no Orson Wells, but at least he isn't Lucas during the prequels, and by that I mean he actually seems to see his actors as actors, not just robots to deliver dialogue.
All in all, the story had it's problems, but it's the biggest box office hit of all time for a reason. All you neo-/tv/ reddittors need to learn how to take a movie for what it is and move on with your life.
>inb4 DUDE JUST TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>64633993
>Anyone got the webm of JJ's signature shaky zoom that he uses in literally everything?

Honestly just the small fact that JJ can't drop things that he normally does and copy the style thats appropriate for the material infuriates the shit out of me. The cinematography, star trek 09 tropes, shitty color grading, etc. These are fads and state of the industry now. It's like using popular music. Star wars should be as timeless as possible.

Copies the story verbatim, but can't copy camera work. What the fuck
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.