[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are come patrician animated series that aren't anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Moral Orel.png (769KB, 816x624px) Image search: [Google]
Moral Orel.png
769KB, 816x624px
What are come patrician animated series that aren't anime? The only western cartoons that have really impressed me were Moral Orel, Aeon Flux and The Maxx.

Stuff like Steven Universe, Advanture Time, Batman: TAS or Samurai Jack can be good but it's still limited by its age demographic.

On the other hand all the stuff like South Park, Family Guy or Simpsons is still tied to it's comedic, episodic format which I'd say is even a bigger limitation.
>>
Rick and Morty
>>
File: miserable pepe.jpg (29KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
miserable pepe.jpg
29KB, 400x386px
I really like Mary Shelley's Frankenhole, which I believe had a lot of the people from Morel Orel working on it. It's a bit like Rick and Morty in that it examines the consequences of classic elements of science fiction and fantasy stories.

The Problem Solverz is a fucking mess but I like it. It's the most gaudy, hideously neon-vomit accented show ever but it can be clever and surprisingly, seriously funny.

Xavier: Renegade Angel is the fucking best, though. It's the greatest thing AS has animated, it has enough jokes for 200 episodes stuffed into 20, it's really amazing.
>>
>>64623226
Xavier took a real nose-dive in the second season, and half of that is because the voice work for Xavier takes on an awful quality of self-imitation.

The first season is a masterpiece, though.
>>
Robot Chicken has some of the best Sheev out there
>>
Boondocks obviously uses humor but speaks to some difficult socio-economical, political, racial truths. To use a tired but apt refrain, It really makes you think.
>>
>>64623054
>Adventure Time
>limited by its demographic
Nah, just in the beginning and the very very end. From season three onwards it gets good, season 6 is about as mature as it gets and then in season 7 it becomes as stupid a kids' show as it ever was. You'll have to watch it from the very beginning though to really get into the complex universe the show invents around itself.
>>
>>64623768
Oh no, I've seen the whole thing. At least up to the end of Stakes. My point is even Adventure Time were aimed for an older audience and were like a live-action tv show or anime they could have allowed for more continuity, structure and development. We wouldn't get plot episodes a couple of eps per season, just every ep or most of them. Also, lots of the stuff that's aimed at kids wouldn't be there and it wouldn't have to constantly try hard to humor you to just keep your attention. Or the humor could be more abstract most of the time instead of lots of the slap stick and fart jokes etc.
>>
>>64623054
>it's still limited by its age demographic

I don't think limits are always a bad thing. Have you seen Casablanca colorized? Or the Ren and Stimpy episodes oriented towards adults? Or played Sonic games not limited to two dimensions?

And after reading a bit of Don Quixote, I'd honestly say that comedic, episodic formats aren't a limit to making something thought-provoking. Might just be me, though.

Here's a few you might like from the shows you mentioned, but I can't guarantee anything:
>CyberSix
>Daria (though different people have different opinions)
>The Tick
>Sam and Max: Freelance Police
>The original Clone Wars series
>Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated
>Most of the Asterix movie series
>>
>>64624593
I wouldn't really compare those. You're taling about works that have worked within certain limirations and then have been forcefully put in another setting.

My main point is the structure. Episodic comedy is fine, but AT and SU are clearly the most interesting when the plot is moving forward and when the setting is unraveled. But the thing is it's made for kids. So the episodes have to be made in such a way where you can basically jump in at any time and not be lost and be hooked. Adult tv series can take time to develop certain plot points relying on an adult viewer's patience, they can also make drastic changes since it's expected that the viewer has seen the previous episodes. I think SU is the closest a kid show has got to this. Over the Garden Wall even more so, but it's not a miniseries.
>>
>>64623054
>>
File: MemeBeamCity.jpg (25KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
MemeBeamCity.jpg
25KB, 750x400px
>>64623054
MoonBeam City?
>>
>>64623054

12 Oz. Mouse is absolutely fantastic. I've rewatched it more times than I can rightly estimate and recommended to anyone who is a person.
>>
>>64623054
>Moral Orel, Aeon Flux and The Maxx.
Haven't seen Max but bretty gud list
I'd honestly add old Simpsons there as well
Beavis and Butthead definitely and maybe King of the Hill
>>
Man, Moral Orel was such a comfy show.
Shame it got cancelled and never played out how they wanted it to.
>>
Spawn
>>
>>64626443
Oh and Clone High definitely
I'd say Duckman as well but I've only seen episodes from here and there so don't know if it's that good overall
>>
>>64623078
this
deceptively episodic but character development and comedy is great
>>
Over the garden wall is pretty good if you are looking for a kid's cartoon that has enough depth for adults.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.