[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Can we for a moment address something that...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 18
Can we for a moment address something that has been grating on me for a few weeks now that everyone seems to ignore.

Lets forget about Finn being played by Boyega, lets ignore his terrible acting. Lets ignore every SJW argument, counter argument etc.

Can we, for fucks sake discuss how this character was written?

This guy is the stereotypical Star Wars fan, what Hollywood thinks the young millennial SWs fans are like. He looks at everything in wonderment like a three year old visiting SW DIsneyland. He talks to everybody like he's a millennial kid. His character doesn't fit the universe. His mannerisms, his dialect, everything is out of character for SW. He is supposed to relate to the fans, but he is in fact such a horrible cliche that I hate him for it.
>>
This is a valid criticism of TFA, I'd figure more /tv/ fucks would be on this like maggots on Han's dead body. Guess /tv/ only hates TFA when they want to be contrarian.
>>
>>64619039
And nearly everything he does is for comedic effect. He's not Jar Jar annoying, but he's certainly the comic relief character
>>
>>64619039
You put in way too much effort for just another "I hate niggers" thread. This movie and this site destroyed your mind and you're not even aware of it.
>>
b-b-but Master Plinkett said dialogue was only bad in the prequels and Lucas was to blame

Brave JJ couldn't write bad dialogue, that's unpossible!

NO! ONLY PREQUEL BAD CAUSE I WASN"T A KID ANYMORE!!

NEW MOVIE GOOD BECAUSE ANIMANTRONICS! AND SAND SETS!

Save me Plinkett, your my only hope!
>>
File: 1369501119240.jpg (54 KB, 750x645) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1369501119240.jpg
54 KB, 750x645
>>64619039
>>64619391
>mfw he's the new Jar Jar
It all makes sense now
>>
File: 1439466198128.jpg (72 KB, 574x413) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1439466198128.jpg
72 KB, 574x413
>>64619039
>Having any sort of qualitative expectation from a fucking KIDS FLICK
>>
>>64619039
>supposed to relate
I will never relate to a black man.
>>
>>64619474
Shut up and circlejerk your meme hate-thread more.
>>
>>64619039
Right, because Luke, Han, Lando, Mace Windu, and a score of others acted like alien humans from a galaxy far removed from our own cultures.
>>
>>64619039
prequels had the same problem without of place dialogue

>jedi business, go back to your drinks
>I hate sand

etc etc

Finn ran the gauntlet. At some points I found him cringing, at others he was great (was at his best with Poemance). Plus, apart from Kylo and perhaps Hux, he was the only thing in the film that felt new for the series
>>
The way he talks and the jokes he made felt very non-Star Wars. Like something out of a Marvel film. Like hearing the word "boyfriend." I'm not saying boyfriends don't exist in Star Wars, it just felt weird to hear.
>>
>>64619633
Hello dubs
>>
When you have fantastical characters and things happening in an unfamiliar setting (even for star wars) it helps your average joe everyman to understand what's going on in a movie when you put a character in a scene who asks the questions joe everyman would ask were he in that situation.

I liked finn though so fuck you.
>>
>>64619039
Finn's personality isn't terribly deep, but he's far more nuanced than the one-dimensional Mary Sues and caricatures around him. Finn confirmed for Jar Jar and best character.
>>
>>64619465
>I don't like Rey because....
>OMG SEXIST
>I don't like Finn because....
>OMG RACIST

You're the one with the fucked up mind, bub
>>
>>64619039
Finn is one of the few good things in this movie.
>>
>>64619548
this pretty much bloodrelations
>>
>>64619660

I blame George Lucas
>>
>>64619465
Look I hate niggers as much as the next kike, but Finn's mannerisms are dopey and unlike all the other characters.
>>
>>64619039
the dialect, accents, manner of speech, all vary greatly from film to film, sometimes from scene to scene. leia talks like an aristocratic british person in ANH and by rotj she sounds like a run of the mill midwestern girl living in the 80s.
>>
>>64619039
He was alright I suppose. Having a British black actor play him with an American accent and personality probably worked out better than an actual American actor who might have hammed it up even further.
>>
>>64619039
Finn. /sigh. What an unbelievably wasted character. He is essentially Jar Jar without the CGI (Jar Jar was played by a black actor too fyi). Most, if not all, of the movie he shouts out one liners, including a little talked about 'Droid Please'. We all know what that line is apeing. It's shameful. The Boyfriend line.. god.. so awful. Why would a Stormtrooper even know what a boyfriend is? Stormtroopers should not even care about sex. It should have basically been drilled out of them from an early age (following the supposed origins of StormTroopers in TFAverse that they were kidnapped kids..). If you're focused on building a great soldier, you sure in f' don't want them giving a f' about sex. The other screen time he has is largely relegated to making Rey look even better, being the bumbling fool people hate Jar Jar for being.

But then, this guy who just grew a conscience, lost one of or his only friend/brother decides he wants to leave The First Order, he can't be forced to kill innocent people. What happens next should legitimately make people sick to their stomachs. Not only does he rescue the man who killed his brother/friend, he proceeds to violently, remorselessly kill StormTroopers in the hangar. If Finn was just in sanitation not long ago, how many of those Troopers that he just brutally kills were in sanitation or equally kill-free jobs? These troopers were raised just as he was. He should LOVE these people, regardless of what they may or may not have done to this point. It should TEAR him apart to be abandoning these people that he has shared the entirety of his life with.


But no. He not only kills them, escaping with the man who killed his best friend, he goes on to mercilessly and remorselessly kill more.He then becomes instant friends with this guy, and plenty of other shameful crap along the way.
>>
>>64619039
that's a story for another time
>>
My favorite part of the movie is when the black boyega man said AW HELL NAW
>>
>>64619876
You put more thought into this post than Jew Jew put into the screenplay.
>>
>>64619876
Meme post
>>
>>64619876
Well he's a nigger. They have no sense of honor, so that parts true and 'relate-able' to real life.
>>
>>64619876
It's hilarious and sad how people think he's a great character. Even Rey. Do they not watch any other films except Star Wars?
>>
>>64619039
you can tell by the mundane jacket and jordans that he was thought of to be like GoT's Sam, an insulting manchild fan insert.

It makes more sense if you imagine him as Meth Damon and the feminized creators and producers shitting on nerds and white males - then all the cowardly selfish horny manchild features become more obvious. He's like a "look nice guysTM you can be a hero if you do this"
>>
>>64619764
also this, boyega at least helped his writing a bit even if he was a affirmative action hiring. The dialogue, pacing and what he's allowed to react to doesnt help but he made Finn minimally charismatic

ridley made rey a bit better too, she at least brought a naive quality that the writers were probably not thinking of when writing the perfect female badass cliche
>>
>>64619039
>Can we, for fucks sake discuss how this character was written?
Let me explain it to you.
He is the awe track.
>>
>>64619516
This time they went all out and used an actual nigger.
>>
>>64620957
>a naive quality that the writers were probably not thinking of when writing the perfect female badass cliche
jesus it would be so grating if she was constant grumpy bad ass being perfect in everything
>>
File: 1450544832265.jpg (35 KB, 480x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450544832265.jpg
35 KB, 480x720
>implying you didnt laugh at his 'stay calm, stay calm" scene
>implying your not just some buttblasted avatar fan
>implying im not actually a horse behind a keyboard
>>
>>64619039
You're right.

His lexicon is completely out of place for Star Wars.
>>
>>64619039
Why does finn immediately admire han as a war hero? Wasn't he raised to despise people like him?
>>
>>64622439
imagine you're some brainwashed patriotic soldier but a giant coward who flees (but maybe you heard of some US wrong doings and some anti-imperialist arguments).

You meet a famous ISIS general who now lives on the black market (drugs, guns, slavegirls). You wouldnt like him?

goddammit this film is getting worse each day
>>
The galaxy is a big place and the way language is spoken changes, often rapidly, over time. I had no problem with how Finn spoke. I was more concerned with the fact that he seemed rather useless, but so far this feels like Avatar-Without-Aang.

Rey = Katara
Finn = Sokka
Ben Solo/Kylo Ren = Zuko
Chewbacca = Toph Beifong

Sokka starts out pretty lame in season 1 but has a fairly major skill-advancement arc, culminating in season 3 when he leads an army against the Fire Nation. If Finn is just a Season 1 Sokka character then I have no problem with that, it just gives his character somewhere to go.
>>
>>64619039

That's the point. Kylo is the typical Vader fanboy. The kid who always likes Vader and plays him during pretend play. The guy who likes the dark side because it "looks cool." Poe is the kid who likes the space ships and space battles and robots more than the fantasy elements of the series. Finn thinks Jedis are cool and all that and likes to pretend to be one. Rey is a new fan who discovers the series for the first time. She's always heard the stories growing up but now she's introduced to the series through TFA.

It's fucking elementary film analysis.
>>
>>64619039
Wasn't there a part in the movie, this part actually, where Finn says "hell no!" to Han?
>>
>>64622526

I hope you're right, but I doubt Disney has what takes to make a good arch like Avatar
>>
>>64619391
If anything BB-8 and Chewie were the comic relief in this movie. But Fin, Rey, Han and Poe all had their share of funny moments.
>>
Finn's not the problem. He is at least more personable than Samuel Jackson having the same "angry face" on throughout the prequel trilogy.

His character just hasn't been developed into anything yet, which I assume will change.

The problem's the writing and JJ. JJ wanted a black lead but didn't think of how to effectively pull him off.
>>
>>64619039
konichiwa stormfag
>>
>>64622604
Poe had far more funny bits than any other character
>>
Finn was a pretty rad character, easily my favorite from the new roster. He's heroic in a way that doesn't involve being strong with the Force or being a talented pilot. I'm also a sucker for "incompetent" characters, and it's well done because 1)he's called out on it 2)I thought it was funny in a not annoying way 3)that's far from the only aspect of his character.

Of course there was still room from more fleshing out (he goes too quickly from "fuck this shit I'm out of here" to "I need to save my friend") but apparently J.J. Abrams can't into editing and cutting unnecessary scenes (the scene where they all get chased by the human eating monster was just horrible).
>>
>>64622662
sorry i meant finn
>>
>>64622615
>JJ wanted a black lead but didn't think of how to effectively pull him off.
What difference does it make that he's black though? The character would have been no different if he was white.
>>
>>64619039
The fact that he was black didn't bothered me at all
What bothered me is indeed his mannerisms. While cringeworthy at times he did acted like a child(not surprising considering stormtroopers)I'm glad in a way they wrote him in this way instead of giving into the marxist bullshit.
>>
>>64622662
He was the funniest character. But BB-8 was there to just react in a silly way or do cheap gags. Literally the definition of comedic relief
>>
>>64622681
he still didnt finish a proper arc

he was a selfish coward and by the time he's lying to the resistance to save Rey he's still selfish and just wants to get his desired pussy out of starkiller

he needed more, the saber fight meant nothing because he was already fighting earlier
>>
>>64622681
This. Then again anyone hanging around rey would seem incompetant, but finn does that pretty well by himself.
>>
Thought he was the best thing about TFA actually.

The big thing the prequels lacked was character development and a regular type person like Han Solo was in the original series.

I'm rewatching the prequels and enjoying them, Lucas really tried to do something different with regards to plotting, but the characters were lacking.

Finn is no more out of place than Solo, or C3PO.
>>
>>64622750
nah JJ knew it'd be grating to listen to the same cutesy animal noises

Finn started to get annoying with the funny bits but Boyega saved it a bit. The chin bit was completetly "out of character" for the sake of a joke, at least he wasnt a marve sardonic quip machine
>>
>>64622684
Because JJ Abrams complained about SW being too white, and wanted to de-whiten it by having the old-guard pass the torch to a black man, a hispanic man, and a woman to end the "white patriarchy"

.......while of course keeping plenty of whites on hand to play the space-nazis who now apparently kidnap and enslave negroes like Finn.
>>
>>64622802
the chin joke was pretty good, love the self awareness stuff
>>
>>64622817
the film had a really momma's boy feel to it at times, the "you're so brave" in chewie's scene or Lea being the general while putting Han in his place etc. It was kinda "lol men, only women are macho"

>>64622822
> love the self awareness stuff
wtf
>>
>>64622753
That's because you only think he's in it for the pussy the minute he meets Rey. That's an interpretation, but I don't believe it personally because up to Rey getting captured he mostly plans to fuck off, even if his determination slowly falls apart through the movie. First it's "I need to fuck off", then "okay let's drop down the droid to the resistance and then fuck off" then "ok Rey and BB-8 figure that shit out with Han and Maz, now I'm free to fuck off".
>>
>>64622817
>Because JJ Abrams complained about SW being too white,
That wasnt him, the higherups wanted that, whoever the fuck they are

step up anon
>>
Who is poe ? I watched the movie and I don't know
>>
>>64622874
The gay pilot who escapes with Finn in the beginning
>>
>>64622866
i can see that, but it feels very empty non-arc nevertheless. When he sees Rey getting captured he becomes less of a selfish coward to save her, but he barely knows her.

And when he gets there it's "lol silly boys, women arent damsels in distress"

he doesnt even get to be the guy helping the white lady hero
>>
File: head.jpg (12 KB, 450x268) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
head.jpg
12 KB, 450x268
>>64622857
And IT'S ALL FUCKING RETARDED

There's 1000 sentient races in the SW universe, yet only white humans are bad and only diverse non-white humans can save the day while all the non-humans are just background filler.

At least Lucas tried to incorporate more non-humans like Kit Fisto, Yoda, and others in the prequel trilogy.

While in the JJ-verse there is no diversity unless you see blacks and beaners fightin' the white space-nazis.

There's not enough use of all the non-humans. They could make non-humans the leads every bit as important as the humans like Avatar. But diversity isn't achieved unless "WE REPRESENTIN" with blacks and hispanics because back down on earth the selfish want to be pandered to instead of being told a great story.

It's fucking total nonsense. Diversity in the Star Wars sense is achieved when tentacle-heads, Jawas, those coneheads like Ki-Adi-Mundi, and sandpeople are mixed in as primary players or with the primary players both good and evil.


But we'll never get that due to selfish blacks and beaners who only care if they're represented.
>>
>>64622874
The guy who somehow fell out of his jacket when the TIE fighter crashed, only to tell Finn he looked mighty fine in it while licking his lips
>>
>>64619876
You're allowed to curse on this board fr*endo
>>
>>64623022
It's reaching the point where it's kind of the reverse of 20's racism.
>>
File: 1444612074769.jpg (43 KB, 600x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1444612074769.jpg
43 KB, 600x400
>>64622526
>chewbacca=toph
this is accurate, I like you
>>
>>64623022
and it's frankly bizarre to do space nazis in 2016 as if it was a palpable threat we relate to even in grand fantasy strokes.

It barely works since they only appear to have more passion and purpose than the "heroes".

Use aliens to signify creepy demonic savages and go full pulpy racism, whatever. Crusading knights as heroes would feel more immediate then multicultural establishment "resistance".

Who imagines grand epics only to imagine anemic leftist student unions as the heroes?
>>
>>64619039
Wow what a great point, OP, I guess that's why you're a successful screenwriter eh buddy?
>>
>>64623022
>There's 1000 sentient races in the SW universe

More like millions actually.
>>
>>64623193

He's right. Recent Hollywood scripts are fucking trash. It's like they think audiences are so retarded they don't need a good script. Just throw 200 million at the movie and it'll sell.
>>
>>64619039
>his terrible acting

OP confirmed for faggot.
>>
>>64623057
that's ok tho, we see him taking off the jacket before flying

the problem is: it's the least starwars-y jacket ever. Finn looks like a dude going to a bar
>>
File: binks-and-lloyd.jpg (52 KB, 513x305) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
binks-and-lloyd.jpg
52 KB, 513x305
>>64619516
>>64621288
>>
>>64623022
>bunch of random aliens shoehorned in
> "jar jar all over again!" "all this stupid cgi, i thought lucas got kicked for doing that"

>weird pumpkin bartender wasn't an alien

>is racist
>uses asian man in pictographical represetation of emotion
>>
>>64623455
also those things han and chewie were smuggling
>>
>>64623022
but there were more asians than blacks. then again if there were a lot of sentient aliens and no blacks you wouldn't make this post either
>>
>>64622857
> the "you're so brave" in chewie's scene or Lea being the general while putting Han in his place etc.
WOMEN ALWAYS FIND OUT THE TRUTH!

some women on my side went "see?" to her bf. The whole thing felt like a husband going "sleeping on the couch tonight, right fellas" instead of some heroic boy imagination shit like the starwars fanfare suggests
>>
>I don't want to kill people
>one hour later
>kill everyone you grew up with while laughing and whooping
Bravo JJ
>>
File: jj.jpg (45 KB, 599x408) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
jj.jpg
45 KB, 599x408
>>64622869
>>
>>64623502
And we've clearly spotted the guy who doesn't give a shit about diversity and just wants everything to pander to him on his terms of "diverse" (black) heroes and universally white villians.

You are the cancer that keeps these movies from being as good as they can be
>>
>Finn will never become the First Order leader
>Rey will never become the Resistance leader
>They will neve team up their troops and together fight against the great evil of the next trilogy
>>
>>64622817
It is too white though. This isn't like Hobbit or Harry potter where there is at least a plausible reason.

Honestly fantasy stuff like this with demographics that represent the USA is one of the worst things about Star Wars.
>>
>>64623699
The plausible reason is that the empire and first order are supposed to be space nazi germany
>>
>>64623699
not him but yeah i kinda agree (although it does suffocate the creative input to think of it in those terms + sjw shit)

just put some hateful black bitch and some saudi-looking motherfucker as villains occasionally, for fuck sake
>>
>>64619660
Doesn't Owen in episode 2 say Beru is his girlfriend?
>>
>>64623676
thats quite the accusation anon, you're very easy to shoot your guns
>>
>>64619876
*Le sigh*
>>
>>64623699
Actually there's a whole planet of niggers (where dindu comes from) so it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that humans are actually all whites while nigs and asians are other alien races just like zeltrons are red humans with blue hair
>>
>>64623795
yes (i think it was fiance), that's a silly complain trying to illustrate how there was definitely something off about the dialogue that no one can quite put their finger on
>>
File: 1408068160590.jpg (21 KB, 400x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408068160590.jpg
21 KB, 400x300
>>64623022
>only diverse non-white humans can save the day


European Ancestory: Luke, Leia, Han, Obi Wan, Qui Jonn, Padme, Anakin, Palpatine, almost all the Rebel fighter crew, Rey, Poe

African ancestory: Mace Windu, Finn, Lando, Padme's guard in TPM.

East Asian: no name background characters

South Asian: No name background characters

Star Wars is a global brand now, not a film for americans. If anything it needs more diversity. All the top billed human characters have been white. They made one black guy a main character and you're freaking out. insane.
>>
>>64619039
>His mannerisms, his dialect, everything is out of character for SW.

I disagree. Han and Lando spoke in then modern slang and dialect in the OT.
>>
>>64623843
Back to tumblr with you cuck
>>
>>64623862
slang is a reach but it was contemporary yes.

But I agree there was something off in the TFA dialogues. Maybe some marvel feeling idk
>>
>>64623843
You're forgetting temuera morrison and the 90876120956395 aliums
>>
>>64619039
I swear to god some of you have false memories of characters speaking in quasi-Elizabethan dialects in the original movies or something.
>>
>>64623843
I dont remember OB1, qui gon, padme, ani and palpy as heroes in TFA

and you're justing proving stormweiners' point, it's always black men and white women. Never arabs, asians, native americans, persians, indians etc
>>
>>64623887
>being this mad
>>
He's a self insert, a mary sue without the bullshit
>>
>>64619876
This
>>
>>64619876
>The Boyfriend line.. god.. so awful. Why would a Stormtrooper even know what a boyfriend is? Stormtroopers should not even care about sex. It should have basically been drilled out of them from an early age (following the supposed origins of StormTroopers in TFAverse that they were kidnapped kids..). If you're focused on building a great soldier, you sure in f' don't want them giving a f' about sex.

You've never served in the military, had family serve, or had friends in the military have you?

I assume your only exposure to "soldiers" is vidya and spesh muhreens
>>
>>64623914
not OP but you didnt thought the way characters talked (with the exception of Han and Kylo and ginger nazi) all sounded a bit samey and off?

it's weird people are discussing as if the originals didnt sounded contemporary (i think they remember the prequels where everyone does a stilted creepy "noble" type thing)
>>
File: 1423143084605.png (156 KB, 366x407) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1423143084605.png
156 KB, 366x407
>>64623939
>you're justing proving stormweiners' point,

Stormweiners want more diversity in films. you heard it here first!
>>
>>64623843
And you prove my point that there's no diversity in a universe with 1000 sentient aliens unless blacks and beaners are fighting the exclusively-white space-nazis.

It's pure selfishness to demand movies pander to you instead of letting people create as they want. It throws up a wall that'll keep the SW-verse and all the differing peoples in it from ever being fully-developed due to that insistence that there's always gotta be a black or hispanic guy on the screen fighting them problematic whites.
>>
>>64624001
I've only seen TFA once. I'm going to watch it again this weekend so I'll listen for what you guys are talking about.
>>
>>64624007
no but it helps their point that "diversity" only means anti-whitemen thuggery instead of nuanced """"POC"""" individuals
>>
>>64623990
>Brainwashed baby killers comparable to modern military
Look mate, that would be an arguement if we weren't explicitly told Finn should have no feelings anymore, I mean OK the force did it, but really you're going to compare going to military school to being literally raised to kill and follow orders from when you were like 6?
>>
File: love being white.png (1 MB, 1029x790) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
love being white.png
1 MB, 1029x790
>>64623940
Mad? Why would I be mad?
>>
>>64623939
>black men and white women
Do Pacific Islanders count as black? Because they had retcon Boba and his dad Jango and the quadrillion nobody clones of Jango
>>
>>64619593
they acted like adults would act
>>
>>64624026
Dont worry bro.
You know how being a white kid who likes star wars was basically the one way to guarantee that you keep your V-Card thoughout high-school?
For the next generation it will be being a black kid who likes star wars.

More blacks will be able to identify with TFA whichmeans more of them will turn into turbonerds.
I know I know nowadays grills claim to be into nerds but believe me they're not. That's just talking shit to be part of a perceived trend.

This whole progressive shit is digging its own grave.
>>
>>64624026
if you actually want more diversity like you claim, then you should be saying that Finn was a good addition and that the newer movies should have even more different looking humans (both good and bad) than simply all white.

Do you agree with that?
>>
>>64624047
i still dont know quite what it is, cant put my finger on it, but it felt a bit marvel-ish, maybe? Not the quip shit, but there was no difference in the way for isntance Luke is a semi-whiny farmboy where his way of relating comes from and Han as a slimey pragmatist (and Lea being different from the two as well)

not the words or accents, just attitude and where each line comes from.
>>
>>64622526
Katara = Leia
Sokka = Han
Aang = Luke
Toph = Chewie
Appa = Falcon
R2D2 = Momo
>>
>>64624171
Bit who is C3P0?
>>
>>64619660
Yeah...I tremble in sadness and anger because of the ruined future of true motion picture original sci fi
>>
>>64624168
yeah Rey and Finn both sound the same "dumb millenials receiving exposition" when talking to Han. It feels Whedon-ish.

You'd never guess she's a naive junk girl and he was a soldier/janitor. The actors do their best but the writing is iffy
>>
>>64624188
cabbages guy
>>
>>64624168
It's just a shit script fambam, funnily enough the prequels were rightfully smashed for it but everyone loves this crap
>>
>>64619836
Finn is the comedy relief for the new trilogy. He's essentially the new Jar Jar Binks . Gungans were based off of blacks but JJ figured it was more effective/cheaper to just use real blacks
>>
>>64624166
You're trying to twist shit to depict Finn as increasing diversity when all he does is throw up a wall against it. You're forgetting the sheer # of races in SW; all of which are background filler thanks to selfish humans who only want to see their own kind of human on screen.

Blacks have been done before in SW.

And I couldn't help but to notice the black woman standing so prominently on the balcony on the planet being destroyed by space-nazis to further drive home the weaponized psychology of whites = evil diversity =not evil and villians are an exclusively white club.

IF you gave a shit about diversity, then why wouldn't you support a non-human in a lead role? Or are you incapable of abstract thought, and incapable of imagining anything outside of "black and white?"


This is your one-track mind at work. Everything has to be "MUH DIVERSE NON-WHITE HUMANS VERSUS SPACE-NAZIS" in order for the lie of diversity to be achieved to pander to selfish pigs who don't care for diversity and only want to see their own black and brown kind shoved in there

And it shows you don't know and don't care about what diversity is, and it's simply a word you use to justify demanding white people shove more blacks and hispanics into stuff white people do (while making no such demands for inclusion of whites into black and hispanic works).
>>
>>64624148
Your blindness sickens me

You only see "they need to be able to identify" and "representaion."

While we all ignore that on BET and with all the other blackand hispanic shit youfeel no need to dmand whites so they can be "repsresented"

That's not a call for diversity (whihc somehow only whites need to do), and is nothing but a call to demand everyone pander to you while you act like censors who demand limits on creative freedom to ensure eveything gets limited to what you demand to see.

You're the kind of assholes that would take a movie that completely lacked any humans at all and demand inclusion for representation.

You don't want diversity. You want to make whites provide for you and pander to you on your terms.


Now stop lying and stop it with these word games to try to twist your bullshit around to depict it as the opposite of what it is.
>>
>>64619039
The entire time I couldn't help but imagine him as a negro minstrel, he spends the entire film running from massah. Until the last act where he becomes a heroic buffoon.

His character was full of racial undertones that are 100% inappropriate in SW. In SW humans are not racist towards black people, but towards aliens. They could have gone much farther with his moral crisis against violence. They could have shown how he ran and ran, refused to fight but then came to terms with a theory of 'just' violence to defend his friends.

But no, he just freaked out because his buddy died then went off and started killing them. No time for a philosophical crisis in JJWars: Attack of the Fast, Thoughtless Pacing.
>>
>>64624168
rey: YOU'RE HAN SOLO?!

finn: THE WAR HERO!?

everyone sounds like they have a exclamation point after their dialogue and as if they're about to become Katherine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby. Nothing breathes, nevermind has its own air.
>>
Why is /tv/ autists so desperate to try and turn The force awakens into the next phantom menace?

is it because you think its funny to meme on star wars?

is it because a lot of you are severely butthurt that disney said fuck you to the EU universe?

Personally i LOVED this movie iv seen it about 7 times now twice in the cinema and the rest online, it seams that a lot of peoples argument's are that they hate it because they did not follow the EU universe and Disney just made EU nothing but fan fiction.

It also seams that this isn't just a reboot like a few autistic people believe, it's about a family, its about how this bloodline that was created by the force to bring balance to the force.

Star Wars was a great great movie and has broken all records now and still raking in fuck tons of money, no matter what you autists think this film is better than any other star wars movie (bar empire)
>>
>>64624148
This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever read here in all my around about 10 years browsing and posting. I mean fucking hell, you really think girls give 2 shits about SW? They never have, even the ones that pretend they do. They just want dick and a non-beta. SW is the most normalfag shit franchise I can think of, maybe you grew up in the 70's when it wasn't but I highly doubt that
>>
>>64624444
ok
>>
>>64624365
>Finn as increasing diversity when all he does is throw up a wall against it.

HUH?

>Blacks have been done before in SW.

And as mentioned they have never been title characters. Windu and lando were supporting roles.

>IF you gave a shit about diversity, then why wouldn't you support a non-human in a lead role? Or are you incapable of abstract thought, and incapable of imagining anything outside of "black and white?"

I would support more non humans in leading roles. never said I didn't. And I also said I would support more diversity in general.


I don't get your argument at all. You're trying to claim that you want more diversity in the films, but you can't bring yourself to say that having a non white main role (Finn ) is a good thing.

"It is a good thing and can be improved more with more non white humans in major roles"

do you agree?
>>
>>64624519
> iv seen it about 7 times now
jesus

i was gonna say "you can critique it so the next one is better" but you probably already drowned in cheetos and mountain dew after posting that
>>
>>64624519
Have a (you) if only for the time it took yopu to write this
>>
>>64624519
I hate it because they decided fuck the EU and made a really shit EU movie, like fuck me I'd rather have seen a LUUKE biopic than this lazy shit that knocked off the prototype deathstar but made it bigger and betterer
>>
>>64623990
The jew jew autism is strong is this fat fuck
>>
>>64622947
I think it was a decent character arc, because it's Finn trying to figure out who he can be. He only knows what he doesn't want to be (a ruthless soldier). I think for the better part he's kind to Rey because he wants to "play hero" and do stereotypically heroic stuff like grabbing the girl by the hand and running away from danger with her. Then he realizes he's getting involved into a much bigger plot than he expected it to be, and he wants out, but he doesn't want to end his little masquerade at the same time because he likes it. He's very conflicted between being the better person and his sense of self-conservation, and he goes back and forth between these two things, until Rey gets captured, and he needs to save her because he likes her and because she's the one who sees him as a good guy.
>>
Finn was okay.
>>
>>64624569
>but you probably already drowned in cheetos and mountain dew after posting that

I'm not an amerifat

>>64624589
thanks kiddo

>>64624595
thanks for the honest reply, most EU fans on TV don't want to admit this
>>
>>64624701
>thanks for the honest reply, most EU fans on TV don't want to admit this
Thanks fambam, I just don't understand why they needed to go full retard on it, I mean fuck really? Another death star? Even in the EU that was considered lazy shit, I mean at least the Hutt cannon was a bit more sensible because all they did was build the gun
>>
>>64619039
>his guy is the stereotypical Star Wars fan, what Hollywood thinks the young millennial SWs fans are like. He looks at everything in wonderment like a three year old visiting SW DIsneyland. He talks to everybody like he's a millennial kid. His character doesn't fit the universe. His mannerisms, his dialect, everything is out of character for SW. He is supposed to relate to the fans, but he is in fact such a horrible cliche that I hate him for it.

you could say the same for all 3 leads
and Fords performance and dialogue too

>Lets forget about Finn being played by Boyega, lets ignore his terrible acting. Lets ignore every SJW argument, counter argument etc.
implying any of that is anything other than a /tv/ maymay
>>
File: 7c6.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
7c6.png
11 KB, 211x246
The fact is, OP, normies who own Disney, normies who operate tumblr blogs and post on Youtube actually FELL for the meme that women and blacks enjoy Star Wars. They're trying to shoehorn in a relateable character when it won't work with a black guy because BLACK PEOPLE DON'T WATCH STAR WARS.
>>
>>64624821
>finn being black is a meme
come on guys, enough is enough
>>
>>64624676
>until Rey gets captured, and he needs to save her
but he doesnt need to save her

>because she's the one who sees him as a good guy
that would be quite good motivation if it was indeed about that, but i'm afraid fans are imagining things onto the movie (i did it too)

he liked superficially being what rey thought he was, a courageous resistance fighter. His arc should have ended when he fully becomes one regardless of what she sees and he stops being a selfish coward and fights for the resistence and the galaxy or something.

After he's done and not needed by Rey, his story should have been intermingled more with Poe's efforts and he's a hero on his own terms (instead of "going save the girl who doesnt need to be saved, then fighting to protect her but failing").
>>
>>64624787
i think they did it so they could reset things back to the empire/new order by blowing up the new republic...they could have done it better than a new death star tho
>>
>>64624859
Star Wars is normie shit, has been since the 80's, fuck off with your revisionist shit
>>
>>64619039
> cries because he cant bring himself to kill after a life time of indoctrination, also upset his stormtrooper friend dies
> literally 1 minute later is slaughtering countless storm troopers he surely has known from birth
> later in movie: ey yo lets throw dis bish in the garbage compactor!

Really could not stomach this
>>
>>64624873
Then why not just say the Rebels got fucked after Endor? Just say some brilliant Imperial strategist (snoke) wrecked them after and it would be the same fucking setting and no need for dumb shit like a 3rd dearh star, who the fuck is writing this shit?
>>
>>64619039
Gonna have to disagree with you there. If anything Rey is the one that is constantly looking at things in wonderment.

This just feels like another thinly-veiled racist /pol/ thread.
>>
>>64624934
the stormtroopers i was fine just because it's more of a "shit they're shooting at me", when he blows up the clearance tower with the GoT kid it became disgusting
>>
>>64625051
Rey varies between naive cutie so we like her and "is a fighter who knows everything" because "girls can be heroes too you know"
>>
>>64625085
I really don't give a shit about the heroic grill shit, it's more the manner it's portrayed, like she's just so fucking good at everything ever for no reason that's ever established. Sure she's a scavenger, OK, she'd wreck Kylo in a firstfight, why bring karate sabres into it?
>>
>>64619039
He was easily the best thing about it, the only character that actually had an arc and was well written and acted.

Nice b8 though.
>>
>>64624867
>but he doesnt need to save her
He technically doesn't, but he feels responsible towards her. I think he thinks she wouldn't have run away on Takodana if she wasn't alone because he was off planning to leave for the Outer Rim, so he needs to absolve himself from his guilt. In insight, it's as dumb as Cloverfield dude crossing New York to save his ex while the city is attacked by a giant sea monster, but Finn's a bit of an idiot.

>that would be quite good motivation if it was indeed about that, but i'm afraid fans are imagining things onto the movie (i did it too)
Well, it's not like we have anything better to do until the next episode.

>he liked superficially being what rey thought he was, a courageous resistance fighter. His arc should have ended when he fully becomes one regardless of what she sees and he stops being a selfish coward and fights for the resistence and the galaxy or something.

He's pretty heroic already. IIRC the Kylo/Rey duel correctly, he goes up against Kylo Ren when Rey is on the ground, and it buys Rey enough time to recover and get the lightsaber.

>After he's done and not needed by Rey, his story should have been intermingled more with Poe's efforts and he's a hero on his own terms (instead of "going save the girl who doesnt need to be saved, then fighting to protect her but failing").

This is probably what is going to happen in the next movies. I think he's already like that in his head, even if it doesn't translate into his actions yet. Unfortunately they chose to end the movie with comatose Finn.
>>
>>64624999
i agree, fingered crossed for the next film lol
>>
>>64619039

Can I, for a moment, address something completely different from what you're talking about?

When I went into TFA I was like "Okay, Rey = New Luke, Finn = New Han." Easy. Rey's got the force powers. Finn, well, doesn't.

Then they act kind of like they're setting it up. Finn has his little man-to-man talks with Han. Whatever. And then during that cocktease they have Rey pull out her tech-wizardry and steal the show. And by the end of the movie, not only is she Luke's padawan, she's also the fucking pilot of the Millenium Falcon! And Finn is in a goddamn coma.

Like, they fucking piled every goody onto her and completely ignored Finn. What is his point? Why is he even here? Every torch that could be passed was passed to Rey.
>>
File: 635573357.jpg (125 KB, 600x350) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
635573357.jpg
125 KB, 600x350
>>64619039
>singaporean
>watch the movie
>keep telling my gf what a dumb nigger Boyega is
>white people there keep looking at me while other chinks dont give a fuck
>movie ends
>J J ABRAMS on the screen
>I shout BRAVO ABRAMS
>white kid with her asian bf pats me on the back
>excuse me but i think its rude to use the N word
>i tell her "Do you see any niggers around? Go home and complain on tumblr"
>she gasps at me and urges her boyfriend to do something
>told him in mandarin "keep your pet on a leash, you race traitor"
>walk off
>my gf tells me i'm an asshole
>i tell her to stop going to reddit or she'll have to take the cab back home
>i wrap my hand around her and tell her, just kidding you know i love you babe
>she just keeps quiet
>>
>>64625283
Yeah I thought Finn would have a bigger role. maybe in the next film. I just hope they don't do something stupid like make him a force user too or Lando's kid. We need some new characters without "pedigree" otherwise the rebels are just as elite as anyone else.
>>
>>64623843
I don't watch movies made in japan and complain that there's nothing but japanese people.
Why does a movie made in the US need to represent people beyond the US? Japan for the japanese, israel for the jews but the US has to be all-inclusive at all times in all forms of media without exception or you're racist
>>
>>64625283
>And then during that cocktease they have Rey pull out her tech-wizardry and steal the show.
that was really baffling. I thought he'd turn into a smarter liar with Han and then become goody guy. But nope.

there is literally nothing interesting for him to do anymore. Poe neither, but at least he wasnt established enough to the point it limits his story
>>
>>64625376
>or Lando's kid
hohoho have i got delicious news for you
>>
>>64625372
>tfw Ausfag
>gf gets offended when I say nigger
We don't even have niggers, just coons and boongs
>>
>>64625376
he's obviously gonna get Lando's daughter
>>
File: 1312450524423.jpg (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1312450524423.jpg
40 KB, 300x300
>>64625372
>>
>>64619633
>two Jedi doing Jedi business in a bar on Coruscant
>Jedi business, go back to your drinks is out of place dialogue
There's hating on the prequels without valid criticisms there are plenty and then there's this guy
>>
>>64624500

Yeah, they should be completely nonchalant at meeting a legendary war hero.
>>
>>64625487
>Yeah, they should be completely nonchalant at meeting a legendary war hero.
Maybe they could stop memeing for one fucking parsec
>>
>>64619847
That's because Carrie Fischer is a shitty actress
>>
>>64625522

okay i laughed
>>
>>64625393
>Why does a movie made in the US need to represent people beyond the US? Japan for the japanese, israel for the jews but the US has to be all-inclusive at all times in all forms of media without exception or you're racist


If the movie was a space opera then I would complain about that as well if it was japanese made.

Stop strawmanning
>>
Shouldn't he be more straight talking and formal because he has grown up as a stormtrooper from a toddler, even if he did leave the order, the only culture and manerisms he knows is the ones relating to military service, living on ships and bases. Writing him to a Chris Tucker character was completely retarded, all those "why are you looking at me like that while I'm trying to come up with a plan" and repeating things for comedic effect -lines broke my immersion with the universe constantly.
>>
>>64625598
Kevin Hart*, got my nigroes all mixed up.
>>
>>64623990
>people who serve in the military of their own free will after they're usually, at least in 1st world countries 18 years old is comparable to people kidnapped when they were children forced to serve space Nazis, their only sense of individuality being their assigned codename
Wew lad.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aux0MmklpGQ
>>
>>64619039

i felt like boyega and han had good bantz.
>>
>>64619039
His acting wasn't even that bad, /tv/ only says so because the rest of the world says he's great.
>>
>>64619660
Felt more like a clich├ęd shounen battle anime/manga.
>>
>>64625836
I've read better Shounen than this shit
>>
>cast a darkie because progressive = ez money
>have the darkie chimp out in every scene he's in
They want the whole bakery and a full stomach.

>>64625742
Fuck have you been, /tv/ usually says this guy's one of the best in the cast and are too busy complaining about Rey to give a fuck that he's actually awful. This is one of the few threads where anyone actually brings up the fact that he was a terrible character.
>>
File: 1452249629360.jpg (49 KB, 769x432) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452249629360.jpg
49 KB, 769x432
>>64619039
fix'd. People aren't lobsters J.J. They look like they're being boiled.
>>
>>64622802
The "thumbs up" gag was pretty funny.
Don't forget any time he was on screen with Chewie.
>>
>>64623408
>Lloyd is looking into the actor's eye's and not Jar Jar's

No wonder he was so shit.
>>
>>64619391
he's a negro. Their whole fucking race is gods sick joke to us. The fact he isn't trying to rape rey is unrealistic.
>>
>>64619039
I agree. Lets look at some facts.
Finn stated that he was taken from his family at a young age to be trained as a Storm Trooper. Now considering how the First Order was portrayed I expect them to be really uptight. To me Finn sounded like he was plucked from a black comedy and placed in the star wars universe. I expected Finn to be one that broke free from the First Order brainwashing and condition that all his other peers seem to be under, for him to discover the meaning between right and wrong, for him to explore his resurfacing emotions and not be a drone anymore in a more serious manner, not be the token black guy comedic relief. I was so ready for him to be Mace Windu 2.0 but my hopes and dreams were shattered.
>>
>>64619039
>stop doing that with your chin what is that Im trying to come up with a plan

Literally crigned at that delivery
>>
>>64619465
Reddit destroyed your mind and you're not even aware it. Seeing racism when OP stated that his opinion had nothing to do with that.
>>
>>64619757
>dumbing your movie dumb for the least common denominators of society.
What a great idea, anon.
>>
>>64623565
DID YOU SEE THAT SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT
>>
>>64631919
>What a great idea, anon.

It actually is if you're trying to appeal more broadly = more of an audience = more money.
>>
>>64631320
it should have been more about a black violent drone discovering his humanity in the style of thx 1138 while Poe showed him not to fall into being a prequel-esque stiff, that he could still have grand heroic boyish emotions.

Finn should have had a "binary sunset" moment later on

>>64632624
That was awful. He'd been so much better with his own accent and just acted like himself and human instead of some american movie black cliche
>>
>>64619039

I think he played his character quite well.
There were some lines in his script that were bad though.
>>
>>64625195
>He's pretty heroic already. IIRC the Kylo/Rey duel correctly, he goes up against Kylo Ren when Rey is on the ground, and it buys Rey enough time to recover and get the lightsaber.
if he had died saving her from being slashed on the ground it'd mildy heroic (but still not really, it'd be a stupid end for a character we're following for 2 hours). He just fights and loses. The film presses on the key that she's a stronk womyn who needs no man and saviour. Him taking on Kylo is just "I like Rey duuurr".

I really fucking hate to go so much tumblr on this, but his arc should really have been more along with Poe. He should be the one who blew up the hole (in a fakeout self-sacrifice) for Poe to get in instead of Han and Chewie planting the explosives.
>>
>>64623894

These lines are probably it:

>Do I talk first? Or do you talk first?
>kinda hard to understand you with the *gestures*

>..you need a pilot
>I need a pilot

>What are you doing? Why are you doing this? *mimics Han* In trying to come up with a plan here!

I don't mind them overall, but they took me out a bit.
>>
>>64634392
yeah those were blatant marvel-esque sardonic "like im taking this seriously kid, heh" bullshit. Poe would be alright because he's the maverick pilot (but showing it first just makes it a cliche)

but even the expository lines, or what would be getting to know each other bits (like rey and finn before and after the stormtroopers go after them) feels off and without personality
>>
>>64619633
>Finn ran the gauntlet
Top kek my blood sibling. However, I believe you meant to say gamut.
>>
>>64622421
Han Solo call Leia "sister". Should they all be using late 70s slang still?
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 18
Thread DB ID: 377550



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.