[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phantom Menace Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 18

File: TRADE FEDERATION.jpg (358KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
TRADE FEDERATION.jpg
358KB, 1000x1000px
So i was watchin Plinkett's Phantom Menace Review earlier, and one thing he said had me thinking...

He said "why would the Trade federation have a whole robot army etc.."

I never thought of this (and im kinda high right now so apologies) but since I was a kid i always thougt these guys were actually like the "empire"....

So was the Empire even in existence yet in episode 1?

>tl;dr: Are pic related part of the EPIRE or no?
>>
They had money and were perverting their standing as a "trade federation" to start becoming more like their own entity

It's as if the EU started centralizing as a body and then decided to raise their own standing force

I need to watch this stupid fucking "review" I keep hearing about so I can get royally mad
>>
>>64610074
>So i was watchin Plinkett's Phantom Menace Review
there's your problem m8
>>
>>64610074
empire didnt exist until the senate voted to turn into it, and why would a massive trade group not have a large security force? people hire mercenaries to protect their ships from pirates in real life, so why cant a sci-fi merchant force build it's own army?
>>
>>64610147
you wont feel that way after you do
>>
>>64610074
>"The Techno Union *wubwubwub* droid army is at your disposal."
>>
>>64610147
It is a somewhat valid question because they're a mercantile organization operating exclusively in sovereign territory. Therefore the idea that sovereign nation or collection of sovereign nations would just be fine with the interstellar equivalent of amazon.com rolling around with invasion force sufficient to conquer entire nations should have caused some shit.

But that's handwaved by sheev being really gud at mind control.
>>
>>64610379
naboo is some nowhere planet isnt it? no one bothers to help them other than 2 jedi
>>
>>64610432
They've got a senate seat. So no.

Two jedi were supposed to be the negotiation equivalent of a tactical nuke anyway.
>>
>>64610379

They don't know they have an invasion force

everyone's in the dark about this

Did you people care to spare two brain cells to actually watch this movie?
>>
>>64610379
>he doesnt know about venice

Literally a family of traders backed by mercenaries with territory all over europe
>>
>>64610294

I started but then got bored after 8 minutes and apparently this memeing fuck spent an hour on a review meandering and pointlessly alluding to other movies with a "lulzy" slow voice

does anyone have the major criticisms just listed
>>
>>64610074
No, they're the Federation, which then leads the Separatists in the sequels. If anything, a lot of the Separatists probably turn into the rebels.

the empire is the former republic, minus some planets which chose to abandon it.
>>
it's because in the 70's Lucas read Dune and decided he liked the whole feudal space empire thing

a Spacing Guild with a total monopoly on interstellar travel makes no sense in Star Wars so he made them into merchants instead
>>
>>64610497
>senate seat
and african nations have UN seats, but that doesnt make them important.

tatooine probably has a senate seat too
>>
>>64610534

There were a lot of Italian trading states like this

TPM may very well have been above the intelligence of the general public
>>
>>64610534
Venice was a state, it's not even remotely comparable

a better historical example would be the British East Tea Company which had a standing army and de facto controlled parts of India
>>
>HSISISHAOPSUFODBEKSK!
>OH SORRY DUDE IM JUST HIGH!
>POSTING ON 4CHAN!
>ALONE!
>>
>>64610074
Not the empire.

Effectively a private army. Not uncommon historically.
>>
File: Beckett.jpg (18KB, 348x253px) Image search: [Google]
Beckett.jpg
18KB, 348x253px
>>64610601

Yeah yeah, I saw Dead's Man Chest too.
>>
>>64610569
Tatooine doesn't since it isn't part of the Republic.
>>
No one knew that they had an army and were ready for a full scale invasion, that's why no one in the Senate believes Amidala's invasion claims at first. Besides, in a huge hostile galaxy it's not beyond reason for a rich trade federation to have an army to secure their interests or in case shit starts going down.

My only problem is why did they ally with Sheev in the first place. What did he have to offer? They had no idea who he was so they pretty much followed instructions of some guy in a hood with a creepy voice
>>
>>64610649

Is this a meme?

The British East India Company is the biggest corporation of all time, not a movie's plot point
>>
>>64610649
why are redditors this retarded?
>>
>>64610683

He was pulling the strings. The invasion of Naboo in particular was his idea. They were dragging their feet most of the way but afraid of him because they knew he was a Sith. He wanted Naboo attacked since it was his Senatorial constituency and it would grant him the chancellorship.
>>
>>64610706
most people learn history from movies these days. books are outdated and even need a quarantine board
>>
>>64610260
This is the most valid answer, merchant fleets need a security force to protect their goods and services. What good are they as merchants if their cargo ships keep getting raided by pirates?
>>
>>64610533
>everyone's in the dark about this

because a darkside master is keeping everyone in the dark

such pottery
>>
>>64610763
Books aren't outdated at all
You're just a braindead retard who can't be bothered to read them
>>
>>64610763

That's probably why they were so turned off by the politics of the PT

>jeez, let's get to the action
>>
>>64610758
yeah it's explained why Sheev needs the trade federation to help him
but why do the trade federation need his help? They're apparently already filthy rich and are a major player in galactic politics. They have a shit ton to lose from a botched illegal invasion, and it's never explained what they have to gain
>>
>>64610789

The droid army was contracted from outlaws on Geonosis and stored securely aboard their control ships

It's a pretty big galaxy, all you need to do to hide something is not show it
>>
>>64610775
Only if they're operating in a large amount of "international waters." Naboo not being "international waters."

That's the problem here. East india trading company had a huge military force because they were operating, primarily, in wilderness. Whereas the trade federation was just invading planets like it was cool
>>
>>64610074
>im kinda high right now

Then fuck off, degenerate
>>
>>64610074

No, they were a conglomeration of megacorporations, basically.

The Trade Federation wasn't always led by Nemoidians, either. It had humans and other species as leaders since it began. However, Darth Sidious (not knowing he was Palpatine) was the guy who helped Nute Gunray take over the company. They's partly why they were loyal to him.
>>
>>64610834
The only explation is cop out mind control. All the leaders just do whatever he fucking says no matter how dumb it is. Nobody questioned him
>>
>>64610758
I know what Sheev's motivations were but why did the Trade Federation agree to this plan? The movie establishes that it's a very risky move for them as they could lose their trade franchise, and since they don't know they're dealing with a Senator soon to be Chancellor I don't quite see what Sidious had to offer to get the Trade Federation guys on board
>>
>>64610813
I honestly don't understand why people loathe the political aspect of the prequels so much.
it only makes sense that in a republic the size of a fucking galaxy there's going to be politics...
>>
>>64610834

I remember that they're really afraid of him. I don't know if it's explicitly mentioned but he may have softened them up into getting in on his deal and were in too deep before realizing he was going to far.

It's pretty clear Gunray is spineless so it may have been over 50% coercion or mind control.
>>
>>64610806
>Books aren't outdated at all
then why are book stores shutting down left and right while movie theaters keep getting built?
>>
>>64610854
or have a dark side master hiding it from the council of nearly-omniscient wizards.

As this is the problem with all the "politics" in the prequels. They were just smoke for sheev doing everything with his magic powers.
>>
>>64610894
Because it was done extremely poorly
Like everything fucking else
>>
>>64610859
>various italian trading city states
>at war with each other all the time
>large armies and navies involved

Also
>india
>backwoods jungle

kek
>>
>>64610775
the trade federation had a standing army though, and was clearly capable of fielding enough troops for a planetary invasion.

It's hardly enough troops for fighting off some pirates - by the second movie they have the largest army in the galaxy before the clones show up. It's obvious that their role in the universe was beyond just merchants with that level of firepower
>>
>>64610891
Sheev:
>waves hand
>you will invade naboo
Trade federation:
>what? that's crazy.
Sheev:
>waves hand harder
>invade naboo
Trade federation:
>INVADE NABOO!!
>>
>>64610894

I'm doubly annoyed by the fact that this has manifested itself in the development of the new sequels.

Think about how little time at all they spent talking about he new Republic following the destruction of the Empire. And why does there have to be another ragtag" Resistance paramilitary group? That's right, because they're afraid of politics and explaining the post-Empire galactic world and want to focus on the hoot and holler action and things blowing up.
>>
>>64610569
Who would be the fucking senator of tatooine?

Sebulba? Fortuna? Jabba?
>>
>>64610917
It doesn't mean they are outdated. By that logic music is outdated becaus HMV and shit are all shutting down. People get them online, or from bigger shops
>>
>>64610955
In the 2nd movie it's no longer the Trade Federation. It's a separatist movement that wants to claim independence from the Republic. It makes sense that they need a powerful army to get it
>>
>>64610891
Naboo harvests plasma frm its core or something, that's what the purple light beams are in the final battle, and why Naboo has a hollow core.
It stands to reason that they make their money by selling this plasma. They have a trade deal with the Trade Federation to sell their product. The Federation wants control of Naboo to be able to take more of the profit for themselves. That's what the Treaty does. it "legitimizes their occupation of the planet," basically giving it away.
>>
>>64610379
>operating exclusively in sovereign territory.
Wrong. They're interstellar merchants. They're operating on the high seas where anything can happen, and no one is going to show up and help.

Instead of hiring outside help, they just bought a shitload of discount droids. Really though, more of the trade federation should have been mechanized. Big power loaders moving shipping containers and racks of powered down droids, droid attendants floating behind trade federation officials. Instead we get a protocol droid and roger roger.
>>
>>64610973
weren't there sandpeople on the senate?
>>
>>64610935

Quality post

fuck off
>>
File: Star Wars Corporate Sector.jpg (801KB, 1161x889px) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Corporate Sector.jpg
801KB, 1161x889px
>>64610379

There's literally a Corporate Sector in Star Wars; so it's not far off to think that there could be equivalent megacorps running around.

Also, Naboo is on far side of the Mid Rim, so it's not as easy for the Republic to police it.

The Republic also didn't have control over Hutt Space, which Tattooine was in.
>>
>>64610969
Because there was loads of political drama in the OT.
>>
>>64611011
Thanks, that actually makes some sense. It should be explained in the movie though
>>
>>64611055
>hapan consortium is no longer cannon

Thanks disney
>>
>>64611049
Quality post

Fuck off
>>
>>64610952
Italian merchant city states are still states. Just because they're ruled by merchant families and get the majority of their money from trade doesn't mean they're not political entities. Same goes for similar countries today like Singapore.

>India
>backwoods jungle
the European viewpoint was that it was. As far as diplomacy was concerned, it was neutral territory and up for grabs. France might not be happy England was expanding into it, but it wasn't the same as England landing troops in French territory
>>
>>64610917
Because who goes to a bookstore anymore? Amazon pretty much killed brick and mortar book stores.
>>
>>64611101
Quality post

Fuck off
>>
>>64611065

No there wasn't, that begot a story surrounding a ragtag rebellion taking down an Empire

they took down an Empire, and peace and the Republic were restored, so how about we go with a new plot tangent along those lines?

Oh no, that's dangerous, we may fudge it up. Let's shoehorn a needless rebellion group to handle this not-Empire upstart instead of the Republic in order to avoid politics entirely.
>>
This thread is impressively terrible.

I wish you shitposters would just go back to memes.
>>
File: fatlaugher.jpg (7KB, 221x227px) Image search: [Google]
fatlaugher.jpg
7KB, 221x227px
>>64610557
>this serious about it

are you serious man?
>>
>>64611136
Mmmh absolute QUAL ITT EEEE post there my friend!

FUCK OFF
>>
>>64611067
I suppose you could also guess their compliance would also be due to sheev promising them a spot in the upcoming galactic empire. It was explained in Attack of the Clones and it culminated in Revenge of the Sith, until sheev betrayed the separatists.
>>
>>64611152

People cite his videos without any trace of irony apparently

I thought it was an actual review, not a Smosh-tier circlejerk session
>>
>>64611011
I honestly wish this had been stated or shown in the movie. As it's a really cool premise.
>>
>>64610973
No one. Tatooine is in Hutt Space. A sovereign entity even through the empire.
>>
>>64611138
and that is a bad thing how? You can fill in the blanks easily enough on your own. Why do you demand movies sit you down for a half hour seminar on the political relations of all involved parties before showing you a movie? If you want that kind of depth, you read.
>>
>all these buttmad faggots liking the phantom menace
Literally garbage tier taste.
>>
File: ultimate fedora.webm (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate fedora.webm
3MB, 500x281px
>>64611196
You might like the works of Saganfan83 then.
>>
>>64611203

The PT is a cool premise with a mixed bag of execution and details

Lucas needed a handler
>>
>>64611186
But that would require to reveal his identity and the entire plan. As far as the trade federation is concerned, he was just an old creep with magic powers, powerful but hardly powerful enough to bring down a Republic that stood for thousands of years
>>
>>64611103

And how do you know that the trade federation doesnt run like a state?

Or would such an organization be noticeably different from a rentier state?

>the European viewpoint was that it was.

No it fucking wasnt

It was a densely populated land mass with numerous populations to put down.

But odds are this thread is the first time you've heard of them is this thread, and you are just trying to bs your way out
>>
>>64611277
he did use the magic powers on them, though.
>>
>>64611235

Did you miss the part where some paramilitary organization doing the Republic's job for them makes no fucking sense? There's a fucking Empire upstart building the MegaDeathStar 3.0 and they're resting on their laurels. I'm so fucking sure.

>let's send an expeditionary band of 10 X Wings to go deal with this threat

I'm doubly sure

>we have a janitor that will help us get the vital shield codes

Triply so
>>
File: Star Wars Hutt Fleet.jpg (413KB, 1200x772px) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Hutt Fleet.jpg
413KB, 1200x772px
>>64610973
>>64610569

>Hutts
>democracy

lol

Hutts have their own military and aren't part of the Republic. Everything else in Hutt Space (far east of Galaxy) is basically slaves to them.
>>
>>64610706
Yeah but we all know you first learned about it in the Disney movie and then rushed home to read about it on wiki. As opposed to history scholars like me who learned about it playing modded Paradox games.
>>
>>64611002
The army that invaded Naboo was 200 000+ droids, and this was during a peaceful time in the Republic and to take over just 1 planet.
The clone army Sheev got was just over a million, and that was in the middle of open war and to defend the whole galaxy
Either the Federation put absolutely all of their troops into attacking Naboo (leaving everything else in the galaxy vulnerable to pirates), or they put only a fraction of their total forces at the time into it, which would suggest they had an army in the millions before the war even began.

Also don't forget that the black chief of security working for Amidala said that the Federation Army was "battle-hardened" which strongly suggests they were engaged in a lot more than just fighting off pirates and defending their cargo.

Any way you look at it, the Federation had a massive army at this point and it makes 0 sense given the politics the movie is trying to present
>>
>>64611305
You realize you can answer that question yourself, right?
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 600x450px
>>64610534
Yeah, the Trade Federation is basically dominating an anti-dynastic and semi-Hellenic "waste Republic", under the grip of various families leading all the way up to Sheev.
>>
>>64611235
>Just like the same shit over and over!
>why do you have to be different anon?
>>
>>64611312
>jabba lounged around on a large daybeds in his court
>therefore all hutts lounge around on large daybeds at all times.

the fucking eu mang
>>
Why SHOULDN'T they have an army?

Can someone explain this? In a universe full of pirates, crime syndicates and an ineffective republic why would any planet/system/etc avoid having an army?

This is such a stupid point. May as well ask "hurr durr why did gungans have an army"
>>
>>64611186
What has me a little confused is that When Dooku was explaining his part of the master plan to Kenobi, I assumed he was straight-up telling the truth the whole time because Obi-Wan wouldn't believe a word of it anyway.

He goes on to say that Gunray felt slighted by Sidious and being the fall guy for the plan, and ran into Dooku's arms because he was planning to take Sidious down.

But then Gunray's cool with taking Sidious's orders again in ROTS.
>>
>>64611367

Why do you hate on a rich, longstanding hutt cultural tradition?

Who are you to judge them?
>>
>>64611345
>i want star wars to mature with me
>>
>>64611312
iirc they technically are part of the Republic and later the Empire, but have some kind of autonomous status and behave more like loosely affiliated vassals of the Republic/Empire than full members. Kind of Like Puerto Rico's relationship with the U.S.
>>
>>64611337

Oh good. A hot air movie with no substance that has a bone-thin plot structure to merely do the least amount possible to prop up a thinly-veiled two hour tech demo of the OT. I'm completely satisfied, and waiting on edge for what may unfold in the next episode, of which I have no idea because they included no setup or expository world knowledge.
>>
>>64611367
should they sit in chairs with their slug bodies?
>>
>>64610569
Tattoine wasn't interested in the senate…the hutts controlled it with an iron fist and didn't want anything to do with a republic
>>
>>64611367
It's probably a lot faster for them to move that way. I don't expect slug men to be particularly fleet
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 567x583px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 567x583px
>>64610894
The political angle never bothered me, but I wished that we followed Padme's political ambitions in the Senate instead of being sidetracked by the CGI battle.
>>
>>64611491

>Too much politics, Lucas
>too much action, Lucas

the kids were eating those clone wars up

I was eating those clone wars up
>>
File: a tale of two sheeves.jpg (302KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a tale of two sheeves.jpg
302KB, 1600x1200px
>>64611387
>But then Gunray's cool with taking Sidious's orders again in ROTS.
Like you're going to talk shit to Sheev's face.
>>
>>64611387
>>64611277

Sidious promised the federation peace or something. Its in the dialogue, somewhere, during or after the Attack of the Clones.

Its reasonable to believe that they knew he was going to do something big enough to keep them safe after the war ended (which they knew was a fake war from the beginning).
>>
>>64611333
the British East India Company had a massive army and used it to outright conquer several countries. The Trade Federation probably occupies planets all the time, this is just the first time they've done it to planet that has full membership in the Republic
>>
>>64611433

How come in Clone Wars the Republic had to get them to sign a treaty to allow Republic ships in their territory?

They're pretty damn autonomous. They also have slaves which violates the Republic's Rights of Sentience law.
>>
>>64610260

>Large security force
>A bunch of fuckhuge ships that literally blockade a planet
>A large enough a "security force" to literally take over a planet

m8
>>
>>64610207
I'm 8 minutes into this piece of shit. I can't go any further.
He questioned his friends about describing characters' personalities. His point was that they couldn't describe Qui-Gon Jinn as well as Han Solo.

His friends are dumbfucks. Just off the top of my head: Qui-Gon Jinn is wise, extremely confident in his actions and the Force, and willing to argue with the Jedi Order for what he feels is right.
>>
>>64611333

>200,000 droids
>over a million clones

Where you getting those figures chief

I don't think they're right from what I saw
>>
>>64611607
so you just want to wait around and be attacked? they are proactive in their self defense
>>
>>64611619
This character test is the most cancerous shit that came from those videos. I've seen something like that on this board a million times
>LOL THE CHARACTER WAS SHIT DESCRIBE IT WITHOUT SAYING WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE WHAT THEY DO OR WHO THEY ARE
>5 replies describing the character in exactly the specified way
>all ignored
>rinse and repeat in another thread
>>
>>64611619

Exactly what fucking scene would you point to in the movies to provide evidence of him being "wise"

The beard is literally the only reason you even think that
>>
>>64611619
Enjoy your safe space faggot
>>
>>64611607

When this planet has no standing army, your security force does not need to be big

do you get relativity

also it's my understanding that manufacturing droids wasn't very cost intensive or high maintenance, you aren't paying them

once they decide to defect from the Republic they move onto full scale production and output with Super Battle Droids and all that
>>
>>64611445
What were you expecting then? An hour worth of exposition dumps like the prequels?
>>
File: 1450797116614.jpg (23KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
1450797116614.jpg
23KB, 698x672px
>You got old enough to watch ironic trolls trick millennials into liking the Star Wars prequels
>>
>>64610260
so walmart should have an army big enough to say, take over a continent?
>>
>>64611769

How about "some"

I don't even know who that old bastard on Jakku was

apparently that planet that was blown up was not Coruscant, ok

what was the "Resistance" waiting for? This super cannon with a caliber of the old death star to become operational before raiding? Is this their first rodeo with Death Stars?

I don't get a lot. And they provide essentially nothing. Their "exposition" are dumb flashbacks in Rey's head, how helpful is that for anything?
>>
>>64611777
First the prequels. Next jupiter ascending. As jupiter ascending and the prequels are identical in their strengths and weaknesses.
>>
File: 1385516123418.jpg (29KB, 375x421px) Image search: [Google]
1385516123418.jpg
29KB, 375x421px
>>64611777
They're all shit desu. Degrees of shit.
>>
>>64611703
My friend brought this up to me. I argued for him to do the same with his beloved Tron Legacy characters. Also he absolutely loves the new Tron as well as all the Underworld movies and Resident Evil movies so his opinions are pretty worthless.
>>
>>64611832

We're talking about a different scale here

the British East India analogy was the best, and they did have a standing army set to exert their will
>>
>>64611832
they already have tons of employees and gun sections in the stores. they just need a reason
>>
>>64611703
Could you describe Qui-Gon as a Gambler in that test? As someone who feels self-justified by using or even abusing the force to win small victories in daily life?

Could you call him an Antinomian rebel?

Someone with a strong scientific bent that is interested in things like midichlorian counts (in contradistinction to the Council)?

A part-time political Lecturer, etc.
>>
>>64610332

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4OIHDsWsM
>>
>>64610332
I thought that is where the super battle droids came from.
>>
>>64611625
the million clones is said by the tall neck alium in Attack of the Clones
the 200 000 I got off of the wiki which granted is pretty questionable due to >autism but it's the best I can do
>>
>>64611840
TFA establishes the resistance doesn't know about starkiller until after it fires. So the implication is the resistance is just a small independent paramilitary force intended to hunt down and combat empire remnants without interference from the senate, and one such sect was able to cobble together something major because the empire remnants were underestimated by the republic.

But, yea I get it, because the movie didn't sit you down and explain to you every last detail, and, instead, just threw you into a situation where you don't know what the hell is going on (just like ANH) and populated it with characters that don't explain, for the audience's benefit, exactly what is going on, and react organically to said situations, you were triggered.
>>
>>64611920

It didn't even look like 40,000 in that Naboo battle
>>
>>64611625
dunno about the droids, but the clone figure is given in AotC. The Cloning dudes specifically tell Obi that 200,000 units were ready, with 1,000,000 on the way.

of course, its never specified what exactly a unit is, whether its an individual clone or a military unit
>>
>>64610379
>But that's handwaved by sheev being really gud at mind control.
He's good at manipulation, he didn't have to mind control anyone in Phantom Menace, he just manipulated the events so he'll eventually be elected Supreme Chancellor.
>>
>>64612024
Not to mention mind controlled everyone involved in said events so they wouldn't act rationally.
>>
The people that parrot Plinkett make me sick
>>
>>64611741
Literally everything he says to Anakin.
>>
>>64611987

>Just like ANH

This comparison is ridiculous. ANH established everything you need to know about the entire movie in its opening shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z33-qOXOWS4

EMPIRE
BIG, STRONG, LONG REACH

REBELS
TINY, RUNNING, ON THE BACKFOOT

And you actually compare that fuckfest of a TFA with its clumsy effort at setting up its political scene to ANH.

You're retarded. A movie where you have to stop and go read a fucking pamphlet to figure out what the hell is going on and why it's going on is a shit movie.
>>
>>64611987

ANH explains a lot of the conflict, there's a lot of dialogue and sitting down and expounding upon the situation.

But no, go ahead and be needlessly condescending in order to feign intellectual superiority in order to make up for TFA's lackluster plot.
>>
>>64612024
YES. THEN WHY IS IT SO UNREASONABLE THAT HE COULD MANIPULATE ANAKIN TO THE POINT OF MASS MURDER FROM YOUNGLINGS TO SPACE GOOKS?

ANAKIN CLEARLY HAD CONFLICT WHILST CARRYING OUT THE CHANCELLOR'S ORDERS. HE CRIED ON MUSTIFAR THE ENTIRE TIME BEFORE PADME AND OBIWAN ARRIVED.
>>
>>64612093

Literally name even one line that qualifies as "wisdom."

All I remember is him making convoluted bets with Watto to rescue the boy because MUH MIDICHLORIANS.
>>
>>64611987
>the Empire, having a total stranglehold over the galaxy, built a Death Star capable of destroying planets
>an Imperial remnant, after losing a war, built a Death Star that was 30 times bigger and 50 times more powerful
that makes sense because of the mental gymnastics I make. none of what you said is even hinted at in the movie. The only time we hear about the Republic in the movie is when it's about to be blown to shreds (and we don't even learn the name of the system until it's blow up)
>>
>>64610859
Naboo was literally the only planet they invaded, under the guise of the blockade they put up in protest of the increased taxation of trade routes.
They wanted Amidala to sign a treaty making their invasion completely legal.
>>
>>64612148

Grandpa, the caps lock key is to your right

also "gooks" isn't acceptable anymore
>>
>>64612158

I can't even remember the name of the system since apparently it's mentioned in idle chatter

It looked like a Coruscant ripoff
>>
File: image.jpg (321KB, 1024x777px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321KB, 1024x777px
>>64611383
Police used to work security detail, now they can be privately contracted. It's a reflection of the weakness of the Republic itself that it lost sight of the long view of this situation. It doesn't comprise a true State, since it doesn't control these planet-sized armies, mercenaries or cloning facilities. The galactic Senate is largely a meaningless structure unless some meaningful agreement can be reached by those involved.
>>
>>64612158
You really need to stop updating your twitter every ten seconds while watching movies.
>>
>>64612010
none of the numbers make sense, really. 200 000 soldiers would be nowhere near enough to occupy an entire planet, even one that's just pacifists and frog people, and a Grand Army of the Republic that's 1.2 million makes it smaller than the current US army, even though it's supposed to be securing the entire galaxy filled with thousands of populated worlds

The point is the Trade Federation's role in the Naboo invasion was never explained properly, and while a merchant group with a large standing army like the East India Tea Company makes sense in an age of discovery, colonialism, and lawlessness on the high sea, it makes no sense in the incredibly well-organised and peaceful Republic that the prequels try to portray
>>
>>64612140
Identical complaints were made about ANH.

Its okay if you're too young to remember. I shouldn't be here at all.
>>
>>64611173
Quality post

Fuck off
>>
Wow I can't believe you nerds are discussing a children's movie.
>>
>>64612234
It was mentioned in an off hand comment when we already had to get over it because it was time to rush to another action scene

>>64612244
>0 rebuttal of anything I said
Tell me how does the movie explain a small remnant of the Empire building a station that's 50 times more powerful than anything Empire ever managed?
>>
>>64612290

>He's honestly playing the "I'm an oldfag no really believe me card"

Post even one review of ANH that even begins to support that claim.
>>
>>64611367
>be a fuckrich alium controlling your own planet(s)
>not lounging around on large daybeds at all times
>>
>>64612276
its because Lucas has absolutely no sense of scale (most space opera writers don't). Of course, one could just assume a "unit" is actually a group of clones, like a regiment or even a corp
>>
>>64612290

Maybe, just maybe, you don't like Star Wars for what it is then.

Half of ESB is expository rumination as well.
>>
>>64612328
Quality post

Fuck off
>>
>>64612276
>the incredibly well-organised and peaceful Republic that the prequels try to portray

You...didn't pay attention at all, did you?

The entire naboo debacle was showing how absolutely ineffective the republic was.

>well organized

lmao dude you didn't even watch the damn movies
>>
>>64612276
200k is enough to occupy a capital (which seems to be the only city)
>>
>>64611383
>In a universe full of pirates, crime syndicates and an ineffective republic why would any planet/system/etc avoid having an army?
I don't remember seeing any pirates or crime syndicates in the prequels. I guess unless you count the Hutts, but that was on Tattooine which was bum-fuck nowhere and the movie explicitly said the Trade Federation doesn't do business out there. If they only did business in the core worlds, having that standing army really would make no sense
>>
>>64612276

Well, there's no set size for "planet". Maybe Naboo is small and sparsely populated. That's what it seemed like.

>well-organised and peaceful Republic that the prequels try to portray

The entire point of the prequels is a dysfunctional Republican senate getting coopted by one madman with a plan
>>
>>64612351
Maybe you grew up with the prequels.

Nothing said in the OT ever felt like it was said for the sake of cluing the audience in. Then everything in the prequels felt like massive exposition dumps because lucas can't write natural dialogue (or anything else) to save his life.

You're welcome to try to prove me wrong, though.
>>
>>64610834
Sheev probably has a lot of shit on the Trade Federation that he used to blackmail them into doing his bidding.
And they didn't really have anything to lose because Sheev was going to make the invasion legal if not for those meddling Jedi.
>>
>>64612409
> there's no set size for "planet"
[triggered]

But starwars doesn't give a shit about physics. So I guess your statement is okay.

._.
>>
>>64612364
The Republic was corrupt and ineffectual, but it was clearly peaceful. The movie was trying to portray it as decadent, stagnant, and overly-cautious

>>64612383
>entire lush planet
>build only one city on it
as dumb as it sounds, that is the impression you get from the movie so it's a fair point
>>
>>64612450

How about the majority of Obi Wan's dialogue for starters

he literally exists to explain the force and its utility to us

Honestly, it's almost like you're trolling at this point
>>
>>64611250
The Force Awakens was, literally, so bad that it birthed a widespread positive revisionist outlook on the Prequel Trilogy AND effectively killed off all RedLetterMedia discussion on /tv/ in one swift stroke.

Just think about that.
>>
>>64612201
FUCK YOU BILLY I DIDN"T LOSE MY LEGS IN NAM SO YOU COULD TALK SHIT BOUT ME ON A POLYNESIAN STEAMCLEANING SYMPOSIUM.
>>
>>64612461
>Sheev probably has a lot of shit on the Trade Federation that he used to blackmail them into doing his bidding.

Why were we not shown any of this then

Why are you so desperate to invent excuses to explain a shitty movie that doesn't make the effort to explain itself

How can a man be literally cucked by a movie
>>
>>64612498

Pluto did nothing wrong
>>
>>64610147
Yeah but why would a trade federation use their muscle to force someone to NOT trade with them?
>>
>>64611367
From what I remember, Hutts come from a low-gravity world and not having a cushion to support them on worlds/ships with 'normal' gravity actually hurts them over time.
>>
>>64612499

They're hippies with no standing army. If you want to see what happens when a group of voracious capitalists colonize a planet, see Coruscant.

Why do you think Naboo is getting picked on lel
>>
File: Sheev MS Paint shit.png (108KB, 1329x871px) Image search: [Google]
Sheev MS Paint shit.png
108KB, 1329x871px
>>64612521

see: >>64610875
>>
>>64611322
top kek
>>
>>64611404
>I want to watch the same movie over and over and over again and pay money every single time
>>
>>64612409
>Well, there's no set size for "planet". Maybe Naboo is small and sparsely populated
looked like 1G of gravity so it's safe to assume it's roughly Earth-sized. I mean, that's giving a lot of credit to the people making it that they'd give half of a fuck to change things if it weren't 1G, but whatever
>>
>>64610894
>it only makes sense that in a republic the size of a fucking galaxy there's going to be politics
Doubly so when the formation of the Galactic Empire needed to be explained.
Or did people really think Sheev conquered the galaxy on his own?
>>
>>64610875
>>64612590

But where is any of that shit even remotely hinted at _in the movie_ tho
>>
>>64612652

>resorting to physics-based minutiae

Come on

no Star Wars does that
>>
>>64612511
>so bad that it birthed a widespread positive revisionist outlook on the Prequel Trilogy
Just like some anons on /tv/ predicted.
>>
>>64612148
he didn't want to execute the younglings. he was having doubts as to why they needed to die. but when Sors Bandeam saw him, and asked 'Master Skywalker, there's too many of them! What are we going to do?' this reminded Anakin that the Council did not in fact make him a master, breaking the barrier that was holding all the emotions fo what was happening, and in a fit of fury and rage killed the younglings.
>>
>>64612104
>I recited this from a plinkett review and didn't actually pick up on it myself because I'm clearly a moron
>>
>>64612729
>implying /tv/ isn't the epic master of contrarianism and will like the prequels and hate TFA just because no one else does
>>
>>64612409

>Maybe Naboo is small and sparsely populated.

Not out of the question.

A lot of planets were still being that way. Humans originally came from Coruscant and started colonizing other planets like 30,000 years before Episode I.

The Gungans are actually the native species. Humans came to Naboo on colony ships. Gunags may not have even evolved yet by the time Coruscant discovered hyperspace engines.
>>
>All these people defending it because there was mental gymnastic books released attempting to cover plotholes
Lol
Muh books
>>
>>64612778

Who's Plinkett?

You'd have to be a fucktard to NOT pick up on it. Like you obviously are.
>>
>>64611987
The Resistance isn't hunting down the First Order.
The Resistance is the underdog because they're operating in First Order controlled space.
The galaxy is pretty much split in two in The Force Awakens.
>>
>>64612746
this actually makes sense. Well, it would except for the part where Anakin already knew that Sheev can't save Padme and still agreed to kill the Younglings
>>
>>64612778
>if somebody else said it, then you can't use it as an argument
I guess that means that you can't use your Saganfan arguments either
>>
>>64612511
>every greasy neckbeard on this chinese cartoon board dislikes the force awakens
>also this suddenly magically makes them like the prequels
>nobody on the tv section of the chinese cartoon forum website talks about youtube content creators anymore
>this somehow invalidates that the prequels are garbage and anybody that likes them is retarded
Yeah see, I'm thinking about it and I'm just coming to the conclusion that you're a buttmad faggot that likes the phantom menace.
And I never mentioned The Force Awakens at all.
>>
>>64612822

>Implying it's not just maybe two guys tops with a b8ing Anon hungry for (You)s

Seriously, you'd have to have a special kind of shit taste to make excuses for the prequels.
>>
>>64612892
I'm not the guy you were replying to, just annoyed that you don't give credit where it's due. What is Saganfan, expanded universe shit?
>>
>>64612891

How would he know Sheev can't save Padme?

wouldn't killing Jedi children be the ultimate high road to dark side hell
>>
>>64612804
>colonised 30 000 years ago
>already had technology capable of interstellar travel
>only managed to build one city in that time
humans on Earth went from 100 000 to 7 billion in half that time, and we started with stick and rock based technology
>>
So, the prequels actually had a cool idea/story to them, its just that Lucas botched the execution of the story?
Was TFA that bad, to cause a new outlook on the PT?
>>
>>64612908

>44 posters

>I am a le high taste man. I can't le believe anyone would like what le Plinkett doesn't like.
>>
>>64612946
because as soon as Anakin helps Sheev kill Mace Windu, Sheev says "lol I don't know how to stop death, but I'm sure eventually you and I can figure it out maybe"
>>
>>64612822
Look at the poster count on each of these threads. I guarantee that there are about 15 dedicated Australians and a few of their buddies from /sp/ that have made it their mission to spread faggotry, edginess, and the Australian way to every Star Wars thread on this board. This is going to be the darkest year for this board in a fucking while. Prepare to see nothing but prequel apologists spewing bizarre politically laced epithets and contrarianism. This site was always shit but now it's going to be much, much shittier.
>>
>>64612329
>Tell me how does the movie explain a small remnant of the Empire building a station that's 50 times more powerful than anything Empire ever managed?
It also shoots a new type of energy that the station harvests from stars that is unlimited and can travel in Not!Hyperspace.
>>
>>64612974

I'll say it as I've said it a million times

I don't think TFA was bad, I think it was a needless addition to Star Wars as it was a rehashed production, not just similar, but literally rehashed, production of the OT, with almost no new story added

So while it may have made me excited at times in the theater, it left no impression on me afterwards, I'm simply not engaged

that was not the case with the PT, for all of its faults in execution and detail

Star Wars is a SPACE OPERA

not a 2 hour action fest
>>
>>64612953

>implying 30,000 of those years were involved with Naboo

>Originally, Naboo was only home to the Gungans, a species of lanky amphibians.[4] However, at some point in the distant past, a group of human colonists from Grizmallt crashed on Naboo.

>Some eight-hundred and forty-seven years before the Clone Wars, Naboo joined the Galactic Republic,[6]
>>
>>64612934
Saganfan is a legitimately autistic YouTuber who scours the internet day and night to defend the prequels, while fighting the good fight against RedLetterMedia. He recently discovered 4chan after the release of TFA, and has made it his mission to spread prequel apology and autism awareness to us all.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2BNdF_NCVQ

BASED LUCAS
TFA APOLOGISTS BTFO
>>
>>64612988

I would think that would only bolster his descent. He knew Plagueis could do it, he knew he had (purportedly) the highest Force potential in thus far in the galaxy. It's a matter of putting your mind to it.

The key draw wasn't just Sheev, it was the dark side of force powers.
>>
>>64612988
And if Anakin didn't do Sheev's bidding then Sheev would teach Anakin everything he knew of the Force, so maybe one day Anakin could figure it out.
Anakin is basically a Force cuck
>>
>>64612953
he is saying that humans began colonized the galaxy at that time, not that Naboo was colonized that long ago.

space travel at the time involved using a canon that shot you into hyperspace. they didn't have in built hyperspace engines like they do now. space exploration was fucked because they had to go everywhere manually first to establish safe hyperspace lanes, then build the actual hyperspace canons away from civilization

shit takes time. the invention of a hyperspace engine that you could actually put on a ship and not be fucked by going manually everywhere first
>>
>>64613063

wouldn't the existence of a supremely butthurt entity like Plinkett beget the rise and existence of an opposite and equal butthurt entity like an autistic PT defender

seems like balance in the force to me
>>
File: lucaslaughsatyou.jpg (3KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
lucaslaughsatyou.jpg
3KB, 125x93px
>>64610074
Because

P O E T R Y
O
E
T
R
Y
>>
>>64613045
>However, at some point in the distant past, a group of human colonists from Grizmallt crashed on Naboo.
Was this before or after Jar Jar Binks' father killed himself because JJ was a clumsy shit?
>>
>>64612675
Where is it hinted that Starkilled base uses a dark energy type called quintessence to power it's main weapons system?
>>
>>64613264

I don't know, I'm not defending TFA here, I'm wondering why that dumbass poster is using some literally who novels to prop up the plot of the prequel movies
>>
>>64611832
>implying if they could they wouldn't
>>
>>64613264
>Where is it hinted that Starkilled base uses a dark energy type called quintessence to power it's main weapons system?
What? I thought it shot sun juice.
>>
File: speechless.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
speechless.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>64613068
>mfw i have lived long enough for the prequels to become analyzed in such detail that it redeems the story
>mfw Lucas really did to good
>mfw to understand his works you had to go full ENCHANTMENT

i uh, i don't know what to say

i always thought this day would come, but i never thought it would happen in my life time
>>
>>64610706
You are thinking of the Dutch East India Company senpai. The British one was a distant 2nd.
>>
>>64613403
The prequels always had a good story.
The script just needed a lot of tuning.
>>
>>64613395
that's what I saw, just concentrated sun juice
>>
>>64613424

proof?

I've only ever heard the British. $1.5 trillion company at their height (adjusted dollars)
>>
>>64613464
Lol those faggots couldn't compare to my kickstarter for kitten mittens
>>
>>64613464
The United East Indian Company (Dutch: Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie; VOC), referred to by the British as the Dutch East India Company,[2] was originally established as a chartered company in 1602, when the Dutch government granted it a 21-year monopoly on Dutch spice trade. It is often considered to have been the first multinational corporation in the world [3] and it was the first company to issue stock.[4] It was a powerful company, possessing quasi-governmental powers, including the ability to wage war, imprison and execute convicts,[5] negotiate treaties, strike its own coins, and establish colonies.[6]

Statistically, the VOC eclipsed all of its rivals in the Asia trade. Between 1602 and 1796 the VOC sent almost a million Europeans to work in the Asia trade on 4,785 ships, and netted for their efforts more than 2.5 million tons of Asian trade goods. By contrast, the rest of Europe combined sent only 882,412 people from 1500 to 1795, and the fleet of the English (later British) East India Company, the VOC's nearest competitor, was a distant second to its total traffic with 2,690 ships and a mere one-fifth the tonnage of goods carried by the VOC. The VOC enjoyed huge profits from its spice monopoly through most of the 17th century.[7]
>>
>>64613525

I guess that's Anglo revisionism at work then
>>
>>64613525
Sure, but didn't the east india company mostly expand it operations after it took over tax collection in India during the mid 18th century?
>>
File: 1451933264507.gif (445KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
1451933264507.gif
445KB, 370x370px
>>64610861
>>
>>64613395
Not according to the official novelization of Force Awakens.
The dark energy is also the reason people can see Hosnian Prime exploding from thousands of lightyears away, because it turns into some phantom whatever that travels in sub-hyperspace.
lol
>>
>>64613776
Look up Fata Morgana.
>>
>>64613811
> In order for the weapon to fire, its weapons engineers would induce a breach in the containment field, allowing the collected dark energy to escape the core through the hollow cylinder opening on the antipodes of the planet relative to the stellar collector. During this process, the dark energy transformed to a state known as "phantom energy", and left the planet behind, tearing a hole through hyperspace along a perfectly linear path. The people stationed at the Base called the dimension through which the phantom energy beam traveled "sub-hyperspace", and this method of delivering the payload was near-instantaneous across vast distances.
>When the phantom energy struck a planet, the interaction produced enough heat to ignite the planet's core, creating a pocket nova. The spacetime disruption caused by the phantom energy's passage would make the nova instantaneously visible thousands of light years away.[2]
>this is comparable to a mirage
>>
>>64613776
>Not according to the official novelization of Force Awakens.
Jesus christ, please be joking.
is that shit actually canon?
>>
>>64613929
I thought they made all expanded universe non canon but they could have had a book written after the movie that was basically an author's elaboration on the script I guess.
>>
>>64613929
All official novelizations of the seven movies are canon.
>>
>>64613929
Yep that crappy book is now Canon thanks to the mouse.

You want Georgie back? Better get started on your apology letters.
>>
>>64614009
Who would want Lucas back? He got lucky with New Hope and then proved he did so by directing three god awful movies.
>>
they were easily manipulated. the nemoidians behaved just as stupidly as gungans. makes you wonder how they have a trade federation, but it doesn't make sense how the dumb gungans have advanced tech either. if they wanted to do a big trade dispute army invasion story they should have made it into 5 movies and had better writing. it's just really at odds with the jedi drama and the annoying kid training angle.
>>
this is one of those things that was perfectly explained in the EU but now idk whats cannon

the old reason was that 1. the republic didn't have a formal military 2 most systems weren't alowed to have a formal military 3. pirates all over the outer rim 4. trade federation got permission to create battle droids to protect from pirates in the outer rim from the republic
and 5. trade federation blockades taboo to protest new taxation on a stretch of the galaxy what were once called free trade zones, naboo being in that patch of space an has openly supported its taxation.

but none of that is technically cannon so lets see if Disney can come up with something better
>>
The Empire did not yet exist. They form in Revenge of the Sith.

The Trade Federation is basically the East India Company, with their own private army, much like the East India Company.

In this case, their private army is made of droids.
>>
>>64614586
I don't think disney cares about trying to fill in the multitude of plot holes and inconsistencies in the prequels. In fact I would assume they'll reference them as little as possible to sweep them under the rug in a sense.
>>
>>64613068
Was Crystal Skull "secretly brilliant" as well?
>>
>>64615154
They're too busy filling the numerous plot holes in their rehash of A new Hope
>>
>>64615482
How'd they fill plot holes? All I remember is "clone army" being briefly mentioned and whisked away.
>>
>>64615491
I'm not sure I understand your question
>>
>>64615499
I'm not sure I understand what you posted as well.

Because I didn't see anything about the prequels being mentioned, let alone their plot holes.
>>
>>64615510
'OP' said DIsney were not filling the plot holes in the prequels
I said yes, because they are too busy filling the plot holes left by their new movie
>>
>>64615546
>because they are too busy filling the plot holes left by their new movie
but they didn't
>>
>>64615589
Well not yet, but they certainly are in the process of

See >>64613919 for example of the awful job they're doing at it (not that JJ left them much of a choice)
>>
Trade federation is comparable to USA (strongarming smaller countries into signing trade deals) and WTO (unelected and unnacountable but manages to get invited to world political functions)
>>
What the fuck? No.

The Empire is the rechristened Republic.
>>
>>64610533
>They don't know they have an invasion force

What kind of disastrously inept government is incapable of noticing that an entity within it has a standing army of size and strength capable of challenging the government?
>>
What was the role of the Jedis?

They seem like a puppet of the Republic, hardly these independent pure good guy warriors.

If they were holy warriors then why didn't they go back and bust up the slavery going on on tatooine?
>>
>>64615482
My point stands, and I'm noticing a trend here. Not a single one of the people defending the prequels bring up any good points about why the prequels were actually good, they just try to vaguely rag on the new movie.
>what is a reboot
Star Wars is made for CHILDREN. That's why there are so many toys. The fact that it's almost the same movie you saw when you were young is because that's the point. All the fanboy manchildren that complain about the movie are doing so from their parents basements.
>>
>>64615945
I think to stop the Sith from fucking shit up and being tyrants.
Except they did their job too well for and had nothing to do for 1,000 years only to get sidelined by Palpatine.
>>
>>64615919
I hate the prequels but it is probably pretty easy to hide something in space. There's a lot of, you know, space.
>>
>>64615945
They were peacekeepers that lived on Coruscant and had close ties to the republic (being OP as fuck, and being peacekeepers)
>>
>>64615919
The Galactic Republic.
They go over multiple times in the prequels how incompetent the Senate and to an extent, the Jedi Council is, bogged down by bureaucracy and corruption.
>>
>>64615972
>it's a shitty movie because it's supposed to be!
What sort of ironic hipster argument is that?
>>
>>64614065
Irvin Kershner got lucky with one movie. Lucas already directed THX-1138 and American Graffiti before he got to Star Wars.
>>
>>64615945
Galactic peacekeepers with a permanent position in the Galactic Senate.
They're pretty much the police of the galaxy, but they don't really answer to anybody on their actions.
>>
>>64615972
This isn't a thread about TFA
>>
>>64616043
It's a reboot because it's supposed to be. Maybe your reading comprehension would be better if you weren't one of the aforementioned fanboy manchildren.
>>
>>64616043
Except anon didn't say that, they said people always overly focus on the bad things and not the good things too.

Also this thread has pretty much conclusively put to the bed the "why did the trade federation have an army?" argument. Capitalists will always end up having to protect their profits.

it was a dumb point, and makes me question a lot of the RLM stuff
>>
>>64616107
And yet the only reply you get when saying "the star wars prequels suck" is "no the force awakens sucks"
>>
>>64616151
Are you mad because I said Disney was busy filling TFA plot holes?
>>
>>64616175
>hurr if I imply he's mad people will forget how retarded I'm being
>>
>>64616197
Anon pls you're the only one going on a crusade here
>>
>>64616121
The point is that it didn't need to be a reboot.
Instead it's highly derivative generic action blockbuster shit that goes out of it's way to be unlike the prequels, causing it to be a largely confusing ADD mess, while constantly masturbating the original trilogy to get enough nerd points from "aforementioned fanboy manchildren" and people who have literally never seen a Star Wars movie but want to seem "geeky"
>>
>>64616151
The prequels had a good story, environments (CGI notwithstanding), characters and god tier music.
The problem was the script and acting, the latter of which mostly suffered from the former.
And people bring TFA into discussions about the prequels because it seems the only defense TFA shills have is "at least it wasn't as bad as the prequels" which is literally untrue.
>>
>>64615972
The prequels and TFA are both shitty, but in different ways
>>
>>64616348
>the prequels had good stories and characters
>the problem was the script and acting
it had a shitty script, making the story and characters bland and boring. the only good thing was the designs.
>>
>>64616274
Sure it didn't need a reboot but it "needed" a $$$$$reboot$$$$ so they could sell and advertise star wars again. I swear I haven't seen a commercial on tv since TFA came out that doesn't start with the star wars theme or some version of "in a toy store far far away....."
>>64616348
I guess I just don't understand how anybody could like the prequels and not like TFA. I can't agree with you that the characters were good (jar jar was in the prequels) and I thought there was too much story for it to be good. I'd rather sit down and reread Ulysses than listen to people talk about trade and then have ridiculous seizure inducing lightsaber battles. Also midichlorians......WHY? Regardless of whether you like RLM or the plinkett reviews you really can't refute the point he brings up when it shows Yoda, a wise old jedi monk, explaining how the force is this mystical force all around us that permeates life. To try to completely erase that and have qi gon walk into anakins life and say "omg over 9000" is rage inducing.
>>
>>64616450
And the music
And the Hershlag tummy
And everything with Sheev
>>
>>64616498
So Jar Jar's existence means every single character in the prequels is shit? Why is Jar Jar and midichlorians the only thing people always use when the criticize the prequels, like they had nothing else to say.
Midichlorians weren't used as power levels and you're literally retarded if you understood them as such.
>>
>>64616612
>Midichlorians
My understanding is they were only the interface between human and the force itself. I'm not sure what peoples probems with it was.
>>
>>64616717
Because people understood them as literal power levels.
That Anakin having more midichlorians meant he was always stronger than Yoda, despite it only meaning that Anakin was literally created from the Force.
>>
>>64611832
a continent on earth is way larger a portion than a planet in the galaxy

walmart, or some oil/diamond company should be capable of taking control of some small backwater african nation, which happens all the time
>>
>>64616612
The jar jar thing was a joke and yes the joke was me implying that jar jar made all the characters terrible. Great job picking up on that. Anakin is a whiny bitch, the love story with him and padme is "we're both hot, we're in love!" padme is "a senator" (that's it) qi gon and obi wan were basically blank slate "action jedi man" mace windu was samuel L jackson trying as hard as he can to not yell at everybody like he usually does. They turned yoda from a wise monk that gets over his size by being an extremely powerful user of the force to a little midget that flips around with a lightsaber and screams and occasionally uses the force to throw rocks at count dookie. Count dookie is a blatant misuse of an amazing actor and palpatine was spooky mysterious "i'm totally not the villain, oh wait I was the villain! bet you weren't expecting that!"
midichlorians were for some reason made up so instead of saying "the force is strong in this one" they could say "wow his midichlorian count is off the charts". It's all just complete nonsense
>>
>>64616823
fuck off reddit.
>>
>>64616862
Sure, strawman your way out of legitimate points. I'm clearly wasting my time here.
>>
>>64616823
>midichlorians were for some reason made up so instead of saying "the force is strong in this one" they could say "wow his midichlorian count is off the charts". It's all just complete nonsense
Except it was literally only used when Qui-Gon explained Force sensitivity to Anakin.

Your inability to read characters and their motivations is on you, not the movie.
>>
>>64616823
>>64616890
>qi gon and obi wan were basically blank slate "action jedi man"
Simply wrong
>padme is "a senator" (that's it)
Wrong as well
>mace windu was samuel L jackson trying as hard as he can to not yell at everybody like he usually does.
What the fuck kind of criticism is that
>palpatine was spooky mysterious "i'm totally not the villain, oh wait I was the villain! bet you weren't expecting that!"
What the fuck kind of criticism is that
>>
>>64616943
>strawman even harder
ok
>>64616908
The point is the force was described basically as magic and mysticism in the original movies and in the prequels qui gon pulls out a little computer and reads anakins midichlorian count which makes the force no longer some crazy cool power that some people can control, it's just essentially tiny bacteria that people can somehow alter. My ability to read characters is fine, the characters are trash.
>>
>>64617042
>copy pasting your arguments and telling you they are retarded is strawmaning

ok m8
>>
>>64610074
>Why would the Trade Federation have a whole robot army?

That's a retarded question. A lot of companies have hired private mercenaries or even funded their own armies.
>>
>>64613002
Muh I hope no one see's through may misrepresentation the post/10
>>
File: yoda2.jpg (40KB, 497x352px) Image search: [Google]
yoda2.jpg
40KB, 497x352px
>>64616823
>mfw nitpicking, the post.
>>
>>64617074
Strawman can't see past the field he stands in. I'm giving you reasons I think the characters are stupid, and instead of giving me reasons they're not, you're just saying "no they're not" because you refuse to see my side of reasoning. Pretty much classic strawman.
>>
>>64617110
Is strawman the only word you know?
>>
>>64617105
Yeah criticizing the vast majority of the characters in the movie (not all by example) and the power that sets apart dozens of the characters including the protagonist is really nitpicking.
>>
>>64617042
Holy fucking shit you're retarded.
They don't alter midichlorians, midichlorians aren't the Force. They are micro-organisms they use to detect Force sensitivity.
The mysticism of the Force is not diluted by the inclusion of midichlorians.
>>
>>64613226
implying Boss Nass doesn't just jizz all over thousands of eggs.
>>
>>64616908
Sheet talked to Anakin about Plageus "manipulating the midichlorians to create life" in the episode 3 opera house scene.
>>
>>64617134
No it's just the only behavior you're exhibiting so I find myself having to use it a lot.
>>
>>64610074
>He said "why would the Trade federation have a whole robot army etc.."

Why would the East India trading company have a whole mercenary army (and conquer a fucking subcontinent)?

Plinkett is pretending to be retarded as usual and/or RLM are ignorant morons.
>>
>>64617145
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks
>>
>>64617042
>it's just essentially tiny bacteria that people can somehow alter
not true.
>>
>>64616121
You don't fucking reboot the number seven in a series especially when 4,5,6 didn't need to be rebooted. That argument kills TFA
>>
>>64617152
So you think the characters are stupid because "palpatine was spooky mysterious "i'm totally not the villain, oh wait I was the villain! bet you weren't expecting that!""

So you have a brain deficiency?
>>
>>64617176
>George is succeeded by J. J
This is, dare I say it, like poetry?
>>
>>64617221
Yes that is the only reason I posted. Great reading. I am clearly the one with a brain deficiency.
>>
File: large.jpg (44KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
44KB, 600x400px
>>64617223
>inb4 George tries to shoot himself in the head because of TFA
>>
>>64617223
The master at work
>>
>>64617149
He said he used the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life.
Influence, not manipulate.
>>
>>64617176
>"These are the bones of my ruined hopes, strewn about this barren rock!!"
> ―George R. Binks
True poetry.
>>
>>64610074
>(and im kinda high right now so apologies)

DUDE
>>
>>64615919
>What kind of disastrously inept government is incapable of noticing that an entity within it has a standing army of size and strength capable of challenging the government?

Congratulations on finally identifying the entire point of the movie. And it only took you 17 years.
>>
>>64612506
> to us
you mean to the bumfuck farmboy?
>>
>>64618640
I thought the point of the movie was sheev's phantom influence over all aspects of galactic politics?
>>
>>64611367
I think the weirder thing is that originally Hutt was a title or nickname Jabba had. Using the word Hutt as it's race name is weird in context. It would be like saying "Robert the Human".

Also, because jabba was a crime boss lord, suddenly ALL "Hutts" are crime lords.
>>
>>64610074

>why would the Trade federation have a whole robot army etc.."

Nute doesn't like the prices of Kaminoan clones, Mandalorians doesn't like him because he's cheapskate, the Hutts also doesn't like him since he doesn't pay pre empire hutt tax and he's a competition.
>>
>>64615919
>Sheev asked right before becoming Emperor
>>
>>64610074
>tfw I unironically enjoyed PM more than TFA.
>>
>>64611607
a large enough security force to fight a fucking war with the whole republic and come out on top whenever pottery isn't around
>>
>>64612888
>The galaxy is pretty much split in two in The Force Awakens.

This was also done in the Thrawn Trilogy as well. But difference is that it was handle way better and explained better than it was in TFA. in TFA, it was left very vaguely of the aftermath.
>>
>>64610952
>italian city states
you mean the ones that got pulverized as soon as an actual feudal power looked in their direction ?
>>
>>64611752
they managed to hold of millions of clone troopers and actually reach the damn capital of the republic
besides in 90% of everything clone wars related the republic is on the defence and getting royally pounded by the CIS because underdogs are popular
>>
>>64611333
>battle hardened robots
fuck i hate the prequels
>>
>>64612461
>Sheev was going to make the invasion legal if not for those meddling Jedi.
well good thing he instantly mindcontrolled everyone into thinking his plan was to become supreme chancellor when he lost right ?
face it anon it makes no sense, everything that happens in the prequels only serves to advance the plot , there is no logic behind it
what would sheev have gained from the trade federation forcing some one to sign a document to make the invasion legal (which is nonsensical by itself)
>>
>>64617042
midichlorians are only described as mediators. they're what enables a person to listen to the force. the force itself is still a mystery.

midichlorians are not the force.
>>
>>64610533

Except for that fact that they call it "Battle hardened Federation army".

Which implies they fought many battles before and everybody knows about it.
>>
>>64610074
>one guy orders an army of clones on one planet
>that one army is enough to fight a galaxy wide conflict and win

One fucking planet. This shit makes 0 sense.
>>
>>64621857

And yet people have Midichlorians count like in some fucking DBZ.
>>
>>64620966
>64620966
Defense
>>
Hinder free trade, get stomped.
Easy as that. Damn Nabboo trade route taxing hippie commies.
>>
>>64620966
>reach the damn capital of the republic
It was just a desperate surprise attack. A failed one which cost them the whole fleet.
They didn't "reach" it, theyjust junped there out of Hyperspace.
>>
We can assume they would have a protection force to protect against pirates and mobsters.

They would need droids to protect against shitty tribal forces. Something like an ewok band could not stand up to these forces. (I know I say that and the elite storm troopers lost to ewoks)

The large number of droids + intimidation would work. Also the trade fed is part of the galactic senate and there could be sectors that do not like the galactic senate.
>>
>>64621104
>Trade Federation invades a Galactic planet, an illegal act
>the Senate has been inefficient for years thanks to incompetence, needless bureaucracy and corruption
>these combined cause the invasion to go unheeded by the Senate
>this causes dissatisfaction in the current supreme chancellor, Valorum
>causing Queen Amidala to throw a vote of no confidence against him
>Palpatine is an influential senator so he is nominated as a candidate for supreme chancellor
>wins
>condemns the actions of the Trade Federation, which causes the TF to resign from the Republic, eventually leading to the formation of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, with Sheev funding them in the shadows
>what would sheev have gained from the trade federation forcing some one to sign a document to make the invasion legal
Dissatisfaction in the current system of government employed by the Galactic Senate
>>
>>64621857
>midichlorians are only described as mediators
Maybe in the EU.

In the prequels quigon specifically sets them as being completely and totally responsible for all force sensitivity.
>>
>>64622075
Remember, the reason luke couldn't lift the x-wing out of the swamp wasn't because he didn't believe, but because he midichlorian count was low.

Also "do or do not, there is no try" means "have enough midichlorians or don't."
>>
>>64623479
Qui-Gon literally says they allow people to hear the will of the Force, aka mediators.
Nothing more, nothing less.

>>64623511
>look mom, I'm memeing like there's no tomorrow!
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.