[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any advantages stage plays have over films? If so,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Are there any advantages stage plays have over films? If so, what are they and how can we replicate them in movies?
>>
There are literally none.
>>
Immediacy, and that is it.

You can't.
>>
>>64607445
Physicality, I guess?

Like, the sense that what you're seeing is real, everybody had to memorize EVERYTHING.
>>
you're seeing it live
>>
>>64607483
>>64607535
>>64607601
>>64607649
I was thinking more along the lines of visual metaphors.

And do you think the limitations of stage production produce better storytelling?
When making a movie it's probably very easy to get lost in special effects and all that other shit.
>>
The biggest appeal to stage shows in modern times is the energy. If you have a good cast and crew that pull off the show right, it can be an experience that you just can't replicate onscreen. Like with the use of space and acoustics and sometimes interactivity.

The fact that you can stagedoor and actually talk to the people involved in the show is cool too.
>>
>>64607911
What about animation then?
>>
>>64607772
Roger Ebert said about theater, you are only limited by your imagination
>>
Heckling. That's about it
>>
>>64608134
Roger Ebert was a fucking retard.
>>
>>64607445
Your first problem is that you came here to seek answers.
>>
>>64608433
Where should I have gone?
>>
You can't really replicate the advantages of stage on film because they're pretty much limited to the ways that physically telling a story in front of an audience can create a different experience.
>>
BRECHT
R
E
C
H
T
>>
>>64608499
This.

Theatre that deals with theatre, like Gypsy, also benefits from the live audience because there's a thematic conversation going on between watcher and watched, performer and audience. It often breaks the fourth wall.
>>
>>64608604
DUDE IT'S NOT REAL LMAO
>>
>>64608604
Yes! Read Brecht! He does some really great stuff with the stage. (Check out Caucasian Chalk Circle or Arturo Ui if you're interested.)

Live theatre will always be stronger in breaking the fourth wall since you can make eye contact with an audience. People are also more empathetic to a story because of this.

Good stage actors also feel out an audience and provide a better show in response to them. It's weird, but it happens.

Theatre also gives you the advantage of watching whatever character you want to watch. You aren't limited to a camera.

Just a few things. I still prefer film overall, but I think theatre is also really underrated. A lot of cool stuff is being done in contemporary theatre, and a lot of people dismiss it due to Shakespeare, Chekhov, etc. being forced at them in grade school.
>>
you can't pirate them
Its like the vinyl of the film world, they will always be pushed by the industry because people have to constantly pay for them unlike with better forms of media which can easily be shared
>>
>>64608864
Bootlegs though. It seems easier to find them for musical theatre but there's a really active bootleg community and popular shows sometimes have bootlegs made every time an actor leaves a role or a swing plays something everybody is excited to see.

Granted, they're usually completely shit quality and nothing like actually experiencing the show live, but they allow people to see shows and keep interested in them.
>>
File: vinyl piracy.jpg (90KB, 485x485px) Image search: [Google]
vinyl piracy.jpg
90KB, 485x485px
>>64608864
>cant pirate vinyl
>>
Elitism. Theater fans are the most elitist fuckers on the planet.
>>
>>64608952
This is true. For some shows you can find tons of variations of casts, including random stuff like "____'s final performance"

>>64610143
I completely agree. I'm heavily involved in theater and I think that the elitism drives away a lot of people who would otherwise enjoy themselves. It needs to be made more accessible.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.