[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly makes him the best action director?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

File: james cameron.jpg (93KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
james cameron.jpg
93KB, 360x360px
What exactly makes him the best action director?
>>
nothing
>>
>>64590436
He directs action well, can create memorable and good characters, good with lighting and cinematography. And he has a good action pedigree in terms of directing and producing
>>
he's an interesting guy but the only movies he's made that i can stand are Aliens and the Abyss
>>
Because he applies a time tested a true storytelling formula to amazing set pieces and spectacles, and is genuinely passionate about what he does.
>>
>>64590436
he's spent a lot of time reading manga and watching anime
this has made him the hero of live-action run&gun

friendly reminder that japan is 20 years ahead of the west in all artistic pursuits
>>
He LITERALLY saved Guillermo Del Toro's father's life when he was kidnapped

James Cameron fronted the million dollar ransom and hired s negotiator while also working with police who helped capture the the kidnappers.

Look it up if you dont believe me
>>
He hasn't even made a proper action film in decades.

I wish Titanic hadn't changed James Cameron into that guy who puts out a faux-high-brow record-breaking not-quite-action flick once every ten years. His filmography was more enjoyable when he made movies like Terminator 2 and Aliens.
>>
Paul Verhoeven was better
>>
Aliens is a video game movie. he turned the terrifying, unstoppable Alien into a "two bullets and its dead" shitfest.
>>
>>64590436

He's not, he's just good at the box office.
A handful of /TV/ plebs seem to think that great box office = great film.
He did massive in China with Avatar and we all know what shitty taste the Chinks have
>>
>>64592391
>being this pretentious

Avatar wasn't THAT bad. It was still a good action flick even if all the characters were literal stock archetypes with no variation whatsoever.
>>
>>64592379
wow
he's not simply a top 10 human of his times, but of all times
>>
>>64590436
He's James Cameron
>>
File: Citizen Kane_post.jpg (13KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Citizen Kane_post.jpg
13KB, 450x300px
>>64592466
Why do dumb action movies do so well in East Asia? There is some amazing east asian cinema and they still spend trillions of dollars to watch generic White Male sctiom hero fight against robots or dinosaurs.

Is it in the same way intellectually vapid low brow tripe like anime does so well in Amurrika?
>>
>>64592636
Asians are plebs, they literally just want to see shiny things on camera

Maybe it's the growth of the middle class in China. If I were someone who is enjoying a recently increased level of wealth, I'd probably love going to see CGI-fests just cause I can afford it more easily
>>
>>64592636

go outside once a decade. the majority of humans are knuckle scraping chimpletons
>>
File: image.jpg (438KB, 511x2966px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
438KB, 511x2966px
>>
File: James-Cameron-Avatar.jpg (21KB, 550x373px) Image search: [Google]
James-Cameron-Avatar.jpg
21KB, 550x373px
James Cameron is an actual scientific explorer and world record holder with the deepest dive in the history of human civilisation.
>>
>>64592292
>What exactly makes him the best action director?
>He directs action well

Brilliant
>>
>>64593236
it's actually pretty hard to discuss the tastefulness/merits of good action - it's the most musical aspect of film and really subjective
>>
purpose, efficiency
>>
>>64590436

Alright I'll have a go.

He's story focused, so his action sequences never drag, and he makes sure everything is set up properly and made clear to the audience so the sources of both suspense and relief from suspense are clear and credible for the audience.

most action directors are just like "what cool stunts can we do?"
>>
>>64592391
fuck off and watch Fury Road.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 500x364px
>>64590436
Nothing. He's just one of the better experiential directors.

What he and Spielberg have in common is their willingness to let the camera 'walk' through the environment, getting a few different views before cutting away to an insert or soemthing. Their style is actually the anti-music video.

https://youtu.be/8q4X2vDRfRk

Nolan, Abrams and Lucas don't commit to steady scenes of that sort. They're more in the Western tradition.
>>
>>64592379
I thought you were bullshitting

based Jim

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-James-Cameron-Saved-Guillermo-del-Toro-Father-From-Mexican-Kidnappers-67706.html
>>
>>64590436
empirical proof of success.
>>
File: james-cameron.jpg (73KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
james-cameron.jpg
73KB, 418x600px
he was a trucker
he made the largest grossing movie of all time
he made the 2nd largest grossing movie of all time
he bosses people around who fall out of line
there are stories of him turning his clock around and the sun setting when he needed it for a shot
he also melted ice and when the studio didnt give him the rights for T2, he wrote, directed, filmed and released the movie in 7 days before their rights came into effect.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
https://youtu.be/HvzNDzd8tno
>>
File: jamescameronhe.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
jamescameronhe.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
>>64593637

How can one man be so based.
>>
Who is better Cameron or Nolan?
>>
>>64595810
Nolan maintains focus like a retarded goldfish
>>
>>64592292
Terrible at lighting but thats fine since he does everything else excellently.
>>
>>64597108
How is he terrible at lighting?
>>
>>64590436
He's got sense of timing and pace. In Aliens there's about 20 minutes of action. And for the most part it's just people walking with guns. However the way he built tension and raised stakes prior to those scenes is unmatched.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00NvzTpppLM

this
>>
>>64592375

>Japan 20 years ahead of The West
>Even Nollywood makes better movies

Fucking weebs, your stupid cartoons have nothing on Cameron.
>>
>>64592402

This desu
>>
>>64599486
Will there ever be a movie with this much feels?
>>
I always wonder why SJWs hate him when he clearly writes the best female characters out of anyone in the industry.

It's curious
>>
Who should play Based Jim in the inevitable biopic
>>
>>64599707
The only correct answer is Fassbender
>>
>>64599670
All his female characters suffer a lot and are real human beings. SJW want instant gratification and icons.
>>
File: 1450543279909.jpg (245KB, 1280x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1450543279909.jpg
245KB, 1280x1109px
>>64592636
>White Male
Hello sven, i'm sorry star wars wont beat avatar worldwide. I'm sure your wife's boyfriend will be devastated.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.