[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone else sick of the "LOL Prequels sucked" meme.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (146KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg
146KB, 300x450px
Is anyone else sick of the "LOL Prequels sucked" meme. yes Jar Jar was annoying, but TPM, had lots of cool stuff. It had interesting concepts like the trade federation (explaining how the empire got all the material and shit to build their death stars and armies, etc). Also the pod racing gave us a look at what people in the Star wars universe do for recreation.

I mean there are some bad things too, sure, but I'm sick of this narrative that JJ Abrams is saving Star Wars. The prequels hold up well as part of the canon set up films. And at least they tried new things. As much as I thought the first two acts of the new film were good, the last third was a lazy death star rehash that made no sense.
>>
>you're witnessing how tv contrarians now say how good the prequels are
What a time to be alive
>>
I do have some newfound respect for the prequels, specially TPM since I love the look of it. But they're still bad movies.
>>
>>64589525
I think a lot of people rewatched the OT in preparation for FA, we realised it wasn't as good as nostalgic 45 year olds would have us believe and FA was 8/10 at best. It made us appreciate the prequels for what they are - fun children's films, just like the rest of star wars.
>>
The prequels did suck. For every interesting new location or ship, you had at least two dozen lines of terrible dialogue and confusing plot to deal with. There was also the objectively shit things that were introduced, Yoda's lightsaber, Jarjar, kid Anakin, the space koreans, the battle droids being stupid comic relief, the list goes on and on. George Lucas had some cool designers under him, but it doesn't mean shit in the actual movies because they're so put together.
Clone wars era stuff made by compotent people, portions of the animated show, battlefront, etc. can be pretty good, but the prequels themselves are garbage.
>>
>>64589590
How to spot an underage 101
>>
>>64589628
helllooooooooooo reddit!
>>
>>64589423
>Jar Jar, a bit of an annoying character we see for one movie and then in the background for two scenes in another movie
>"TPM SUCKS I HATE JARJAR LITERALLY THE WORST THING EVER"

>C3PO, at least as annoying as Jar Jar, appears in EVERY FUCKING STAR WARS MOVIE
>"le classic droid"

Fuck everyone who thinks TPM is worse than ANH. They're fun children movies (hint: "children"), just because you grew up on the latter and weren't expecting to see so much politics in the prequels doesn't mean it sucks.

Grow the fuck up.
>>
File: natalie-portman.png (251KB, 343x726px) Image search: [Google]
natalie-portman.png
251KB, 343x726px
>>64589423
D R O P P E D
>>
>>64589708
>spouts memes because he knows I'm right
Hello Reddit!
>>
>>64589423
>>64589525
everytime
>>
>>64589758
C3PO never stepped in poop and talked like a normal human being.
C3PO doesn't even fall in the same league of obnoxiousness.
>>
>>64589758
the prequels weren't marketed as children's movies. They were marketed as star wars movies.
>>
>>64589423
>TPM, had lots of cool stuff. It had interesting concepts like the trade federation (explaining how the empire got all the material and shit to build their death stars and armies, etc). Also the pod racing gave us a look at what people in the Star wars universe do for recreation.
None of these things we needed to know.

>And at least they tried
That they did. :^)
>>
File: p44.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
p44.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>It's a "/tv/ is pointlessly contrarian" episode
>>
File: megakek.jpg (51KB, 452x419px) Image search: [Google]
megakek.jpg
51KB, 452x419px
>>64589833
topkek
>>
>>64589790
P I C K E D U P
>>
If the Jedis are supposed to be these super good guys, how come Qui Jonn and co seemingly don't give a shit about slavery on tatooine?

Were they just tools of the republic?
>>
>>64589525
They are not contrarian. People like OP are part of the prequel generation and genuinely think that the worst high budget movies ever made have redeeming qualities because they loved watching Yoda jump around like a monkey when they saw Attack of the Clones as children. People actually like the prequels now because of nostalgia. Lucas single-handedly destroyed cinema by pandering to children.
>>
Just imagine the little chuckles George let out when he wrote the parts where Jar Jar steps in poop and smells a fart
>>
>9/11 truthers
>flat earthers
>creationists
>holocaust deniers
>prequel apologists
>>
>>64589873
>the worst high budget movies ever made
>Lucas single-handedly destroyed cinema
you forgot to add that george lucas raped your childhood
>>
>>64589873
Now you understand how adults felt when Star Wars came out in '77
>>
>>64589923
#rapefugee sympathisers
>>
>>64589873
I didn't like the prequels that much when they came out. Then a few years later I watched the Red letter media films about them and joined the hate bandwagon.

Rewatched recently and don't think they are that bad actually. There's some nice ideas and concepts. The only major problem is the lack of a "regular guy" like Han Solo, or Finn. Everyone is a royal or senator or jedi
>>
When I was a kid, I thought the prequels were awesome. They still can be fun to watch, but It is really hard for me now not to notice the bad dialogue/acting and confusing plot points.

Then again, these movies were made for kids.
>>
The prequels are utter shit, this is only more obvious now that a good modern starwars film has been made.
>>
>>64590128
whats so distressing is lucas didn't set down to make children's movies. He just has the mind and emotional literacy of a child.
>>
I can't believe some of you queers actually like the prequels
>>
>>64589991
considering star wars made around 2.8 billion, accounting for inflation, over the course of it's theatrical run(s), it seems it managed to connected with a rather large number of demographics.

Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it anymore.
>>
The Trade federation was a cool concept, they are pretty much a combination of the WTO and the USA in world politics
>>
>>64590305
You know what else was a cool concept? The prequels in general.

Too bad they failed in every possible way.
>>
I used to sometimes think about the prequels and remember that they actually had quite a lot in them and some of it seemed cool.

Then I went back and watched them

> trade federation that wants to blockade trade
> pod racing 30 minute detour were they bet their ship and only way off tattoine on 'the chosen child' in a retarded race
> 'darth maul'
> the sith have not been seen in 4000 years
> darth maul appears. nobody says anything

> none of the characters having any actual notable/memorable personalities aside from fucking jar jar
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8

How can anyone seriously think that this scene doesn't blow anything in the phantom menace out of the water? Like dwaudjawjdwabwduaw
>>
>>64589423
>lots of cool stuff
you mean like a toy store.
>>
You're wrong. Kill yourself.
>>
>>64589423
this Disney movie is nowhere close to prequels
>>
File: 1331221184477.jpg (75KB, 591x608px) Image search: [Google]
1331221184477.jpg
75KB, 591x608px
Phantom Menace is largely irredeemable garbage. No sense of pacing (the fucking 30 minute podracing scene that goes nowhere, does nothing, and serves no story purpose), a ludicrous story (see: everything about the trade fed), wooden acting from everyone except Ewan (a recurring theme in the prequels), and of course the gungans.

That said, I do think AotC and RotS get kind of a bad rap. Their dialogue is kind of atrocious on every level (ONLY A SITH DEALS IN ABSOLUTES), but there are some genuinely good movies inside them trying to get out. The beginnings of a police state in Clones and Sheev's various machinations along with the total destruction of Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship in Sith are pretty good cinema. Dampened a bit by the dialogue and Hayden's lousy line delivery and permanent scowl, but there is some merit in them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHH7wdMG82k
>>
>>64591231

What merit though? It's just a classic rise of hitler/fall out of brothers story. I mean i'm not saying that's not a plotline I don't enjoy, just asking what is it that specifically makes parts of AotC and RotS stand out?
>>
>>64591347
Star Wars was never about originality. The plotlines you mention are just told well (imo anyway) and have huge, galaxy-wide stakes that a more high-class movie never could. Plus, Ian McDiarmid is just so much fun to watch.
>>
>>64591474

I know, what film even is original!? I'm just asking what you felt was well told about the particular plotlines
>>
the moving door battle was cool
>>
>>64589423
It's not a meme. You're probably just too young to remember that the prequels always been hated. They are literally known for being the biggest let downs in movie history.
>>
>>64589833
Is there a difference? Star Wars was always for the children.
>>
>>64591962
>I'm 11 years old
>>
The prequels were quite well received when they came out. It's just took some stinky chubbers slating other people's creativity to launch the hate train.
>>
>>64590538
they are dumb

if you honestly compare ANH and TPM as being equal in quality, you're either a silly kid who doesn't know much about pacing and drama, or baiting desu senpai
>>
I hate that they make it sound like Anakin is supposed to be the legendary super sayian when Dooku and Obiwan can utterly dismantle him.
>>
>>64589867
Tattoine was outside republic jurisdiction

Jedis were all like "not my problem"
>>
>>64590418
>trade federation that wants to blockade trade
Seriously, fucking WHY would the trade federation not want to conduct trade?
>>
>>64589929
I liked the prequels throughout my childhood. I watched them again recently and I couldn't believe how bad they were. Eragon tier.
>>
>>64589867

First things first, they have a trade dispute and diplomatic mission to oversee
>>
File: Lucas.jpg (2MB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Lucas.jpg
2MB, 1333x2000px
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-george-awakens
>>
>>64589423
>it's got trade in the name
>clearly they provided the materials for the death star

Your head canon does not make something good.
>>
>>64591903
I liked how the movie presented Palpatine's scheming and the way he started a war while secretly controlling both sides of the conflict
>>
>>64595242
The problem is that the last movie implies he can manipulate the thoughts and actions of principal characters to such a degree that you wonder why he created elaborate schemes instead of just making everyone do his bidding from the start
>>
File: 1413498949007.jpg (36KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
1413498949007.jpg
36KB, 403x392px
>>64589860

>It ain't my opinion stars playing
>>
>>64589423

It´s just like i read on another thread:

"The new movie made the prequels instant classics"

It changed our view. And thank God it did. Because it´s time to stop mistreating the genius that created the sci fi bible we all love.

The prequels fail in PRODUCTION, the casting the animators and designers are terrible in many ways with special focus on the casting.

What fucked the prequels was the casting and actor direction. With proper people (and of course supervision, Lucas did fail on that) these movies would be EPIC.

Just imagine a bad ass actor playing anakin. Imagine a no kids toy pressure star wars. Jesus, just imagine that. How "dark knight" it could be.

But Lucas failed on focusing more on the action and pop sales has the main vibe on the prequels. But if you look deep into the story you see that the rise of Vader was lame but we had a EPIC one: PALPATINE! He was the star of the prequels, his human deception and then the revelation of his true form.

Lucas is a genius and he balances the soul of the saga, in all 6 movies = Brutal darkness / light or love.

Why did he sold the saga to disney? He needed the money? LOL

Of course not. He did what the people vs lucas asked. Let star wars go, give it to us THE FANS THE FANS THE FANS! Now look at this shit. Fucking JJ Abrams and pals make teen movies!

Who´s laughing now? WE WILL MISS LUCAS, TRUST ME!

Thank you and SORRY Geroge Lucas.
>>
File: AliORG.gif (1MB, 320x137px) Image search: [Google]
AliORG.gif
1MB, 320x137px
I've always liked the prequels but I recognized that they are total shit.
>>
>>64595667
>Palpatine's lightsaber fight with the other Jedi reveals a completely different technique than has been seen before. The chancellor uses his weapon like a fencing foil, striking with the tip. Since the beam cuts through any substance, this makes even a small strike a killing blow. Except for Mace Windu, all the other Jedi use the edge, which requires a wide space to deliver a stroke. This explains why Palpatine was able to kill so many Jedi in such a short amount of time.
Why are the Jedi retarded?
>>
I used to be a prequel hater until I realized every criticism directed towards them can be applied to the OT too. Also, TFA is lifeless. I now enjoy the original 6 as the popcorn movies they were made to be.
>>
>>64594599
Anakin fucked Dooku up
>>
>>64595944

TFA might be majorly lacking in life but the prequels are so bad as to make any 'life' that loveable lucas wanted to give them unintelligible.

yes in the abstract when you think about what was in them, retrsospectively, it's clear the world and character have been put together with a lot of love and attention. but when you are actually watching it? you can't even notice that kind of shit because the movies themselves just make so little sense you cannot possibly view them from any other perspective than basically laughing at them and seeing some cool star wars shit go down. which is what tv does now and probably why at least some people say they're not so bad --- remember people were going in to see these things thinking they'd be as awesome as the original star wars yo
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.