[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Harry a gary stu?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

File: hp7-2-12.jpg (146KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
hp7-2-12.jpg
146KB, 900x600px
Was Harry a gary stu?
>>
>>64559235
No, he was literally useless and didn't know how to do shit except Patronus.
>>
>>64559235
Harry Stu more like
>>
>>64559262
He still pulled off the Cruciatus and Imperius curses without practicing them barely at all.
>>
>>64559262
No, no, no. He was a good at almost everything on the first try.
>>
File: 1448886953475.jpg (1MB, 1596x2856px) Image search: [Google]
1448886953475.jpg
1MB, 1596x2856px
No, but he was part of what was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
Harry Potter literally does nothing. The plot seems to move around Harry irrespective of any agency he might possess. He initiates very little action. It just happens to him by consequence of his birth, and his salvation is moreso luck than any inherent talent or ability. It's probably representative of how women imagine heroes become heroes.
>>
>>64559235
Harry was like some weird off shoot of a Mary Sue.

Because Mary Sues are supposed to be good at everything right?

Harry was pretty shit at everything but for some inexplicable reason he won in the end. Like does anyone think he was as good of a wizard as half of the other characters? So how did he do it?
>>
>>64559235
Literally the entire plot of the series is that Harry is a fucking moron and constantly needed the help of his friends due to the fact he was so stupid and bad at being a wizard.
>>
>>64559336
This
>>
>>64559235
Not really, he's just really lucky. Once he gets his letter to Hogwarts, he pretty much gets handed wealth and fame, and is surrounded by competent and powerful people just by virtue of being "The boy who lived".
>>
manlets can't be gary stus
>>
>neville is literally the same character as harry but withput the luck
>his life is pretty much shit and the only thing he accomplishes is killing a snake
>>
>>64559311
Nope.

Also why was stupefy the goat go to spell in all the movies

Were they just being lazy I feel like there were more spells other than STUPIFY and EXPELLERAMUS
>>
>>64559336
Harry Potter is actually a female. Everybody knows Harry Potter without meeting him before, he is already famous, he didn't anything to be famous for, it's all because of his parents. The whole story is ultimate female fantasy.
>>
>>64559322
>gatsby-tier
>by any means good
>amerifat
>>
>>64559322
Harry Potter was the best thing to come out of London since Manchester U. Eat a dick
>>
Harry Potter was a pretty crappy wizard desu. He was just extremely lucky, I don't think any other movie/book franchise had that much 1 in a million coincidences falling into the protagonist's favour
>>
>>64559615
Phantom Menace comes close in all the coincidences.
>>
>>64559322
I hate this pasta but i'll be damned if the last two lines don't always get me
>>
>>64559509
YOUNGEST QUIDICK PLAYARR OF ALLLLLLL TIIIIIIIIIIME
>>
>>64559336

...But that is how heroes become heroes. Bravery comes from being scared shitless and somehow mustering the courage to act in the face of it. If you succeed, then you're a hero. If you fail but save others...hero.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>64559235
>>
>>64559480
A snake who was the last horcrux, making Voldemort's death finally possible. Ended up being a hero and a profesor at hogwarts. The guy's got a good life.
>>
Why don't you make a twitter account and ask the the author? She'll say almost anything to keep her in the light for this garbage
>>
>>64560124

Literally the only thing Harry is naturally talented at, besides bravery. His wizarding grades are pretty much shit across the board. Harry's the likeable, determined jock of literally any school ever.
>>
Harry Potter is total shit that makes no sense. Tell me again what the fuck makes the elder wand so special? What can voldemort do with it that he can't already do? Actually why is Voldemort so scary anyway? But muh killing curse you whine. Bitch the killing curse is not much better than a handgun and any old faggot can learn it. Harry Potter has the worst least creativr magic system I have ever seen or heard of.
>>
>>64559235
He got Cucked by ron
>>
>>64560285

It's a kids' series of which only the first three entries were good. Adults who discuss them like proper literature/films are retarded.

see: this board's current theme
>>
harry potter isn't actually exceptional in any way

only reason he is 'the boy that lived' in the first place has nothing to do with him being special but is his mothers sacrifice

Hermione is a clearly a more talanted wizard, but she still isn't at the level Voldermort or Dumpledore were at when they were young
>>
>>64559235
No, he's a blank slate for the reader to self-insert to. Didn't work well when translated to screen

A Gary Stu is atleast a character
>>
>>64559235
>Of course, it became apparent to me very quickly that he had no extraordinary talent at all. He has fought his way out of a number of tight corners by a simple combination of sheer luck and more talented friends. He is mediocre to the last degree, though as obnoxious and self-satisfied as was his father before him.
>>
>>64559310
He failed the first time he tried to use the Cruciatus curse
>>
>>64560285
" any old faggot can learn it"

Dumbledore is literally an old faggot and he is one of the most badass wizard in the books.

The Harry Potter books were so much better than what followed for the next kid generation: Twilight and Hunger Games, both complete garbage.
The Potter generation got lucky.

For kids books, they are pretty cool (guy)

And Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman, Ralph Fiennes... all my favorite actors in one saga?

take-my-money-9fag-maymay.jpg
>>
>>64560214
>Parents tortured into insanity
>Good life
>>
>>64560285
>Harry Potter has the worst least creativr magic system I have ever seen or heard of.
I dunno, always thought the AD&D system was a massive shit
>>
>>64561574
>The Harry Potter books were so much better than what followed for the next kid generation: Twilight and Hunger Games, both complete garbage.

Sorry but both of those are actually much better written. Harry Potter is just good for projecting onto and nothing else. That fact is the entire basis for the series' popularity. Everything else about it is utter shit.
>>
File: ow yeah.png (201KB, 347x324px) Image search: [Google]
ow yeah.png
201KB, 347x324px
>>64561519
Nice one
>>
>>64561311
>No, he's a blank slate for the reader to self-insert to
Readers can't self-insert you autistic sperglord. Only the author can.
>>
>>64559322
>Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series

Literally why
>>
>>64561519
snape is a bitter faggot. if he wasn't played by based alan rickman he wouldn't have that many fans
>>
>>64560214
Only at the end and sorta to compensate how everything was shit for him before.
>>
>>64560285
Rowling tried to make the series to grow with the readers. So it went from children books to teenager books and it started becoming more and more serious. Rowling proved completely uncapable of doing that.
>>
>>64561848
Because shes a hack
>>
>>64559480

That's what I find so interesting, due to the prophecy it's VOLDEMORT that assigned this life to Harry, but he just as easily could have done it to Neville and we'd have Neville Longbottom and the Sorceror's Stone books and films with Harry being an unremarkable character. Maybe his parents would still be alive.
>>
>>64561736
You ain't all that sorry at all I'd wager.
Twilight, much better written than HP?
HP is clearly the superior book and movies saga.

-Memorable characters
-Good twist that left you guessing and theorizing until the final revelations
-Actually teach kids reading it good values, and not "get into HS, be a mouth breathing do-nothing-bitch that gets married to her HS sweety because prego, sparky vampires, worst werewolves design ever, shitty movies with shitty actors

You're trolling (or a 14 years old obese grill) if you tell me that Twilight>HP
>>
>>64561574

One of the dumbest posts i have ever seen on this website (that is saying a lot in this den of plebbery).

Did you even think about what you were sperging onto the keyboard as you wrote it? I bet not.
>>
>>64562143
>-Memorable characters
They are all the most generic hashes of Jungian archetypes imaginable

>-Good twist that left you guessing and theorizing until the final revelations
Rowling pulling shit out of her ass and by the book adherence to the Hero's Journey =/= good twists

>-Actually teach kids reading it good values, and not "get into HS, be a mouth breathing do-nothing-bitch that gets married to her HS sweety because prego, sparky vampires, worst werewolves design ever, shitty movies with shitty actors
The morality is banal nonsense. Don't be racist (except if they're Slytherin, they're all bad people without exceptions), believe in yourself and you can achieve anything, blah blah blah. Of course, this is the same thing as all kids series so I didn't expect anything different

Again, Potter is popular because it struck a chord of escapism that resonated at the time of the release. Not because of good writing or anything else. Twilight is escapist shit too, but the prose is slightly about fifth grade so I'd put it ahead of Potter
>>
File: 53b.png (376KB, 651x481px) Image search: [Google]
53b.png
376KB, 651x481px
>>64559235
Actually no, he does literally nothing in these movies except get his ass saved by someone else when shit hits the fan

Sorcerer's Stone"
>Dumbledore: It was because of your mother. She sacrificed herself for you, and that kind of act leaves a mark. No, no, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin.
>Harry: What is it?
>Dumbledore: Love, Harry, love.
Saved "by his mother's love"

Chamber of Secrets:
>Dumbledore sends Fawkes to the Chamber of Secrets to give Harry the Sword of Gryffindor

Prisoner of Azkaban:
>Sirius Black literally fights off werewolf Lupin so Harry can escape

Goblet of Fire:
>Harry's Ghost parents show up and literally stop Voldemort

Half Blood Prince:
>Dumbledore again

Deathly Hallows:
>Literally fucking Neville Longbottom destroys the last horcrux and saves Harry's ass yet again

Harry Potter isn't quite a Gary Stu, but I can understand where you're coming from in regard to the idea he is perfect at most things

Hermione is the ACTUAL Mary Sue of Harry Potter lore
>>
File: dorohedoro_v10_075.jpg (151KB, 756x1100px) Image search: [Google]
dorohedoro_v10_075.jpg
151KB, 756x1100px
>>64562284
>What a fag lol
Please develop anon-kun
>>
>>64559235
he didn't even study in any of his classes and he always got special treatment and help from his friends
>>
>>64559235
That doesn't matter, what does matter is posting pics of Emma Watson
>>
>>64562355
>Again, Potter is popular because it struck a chord of escapism that resonated at the time of the release.

Wrong. It was just watered down and kid-friendly enough that it got a generation of kids to read again, and people ate that shit up
>>
>>64559322
>invisible man in high tier
lel literary liberal cuckold
>>
was saying Voldemort's name an allegory to saying nigger in public?
>>
>>64562541
>it got a generation of kids to read again
Just because she got kids to read, doesn't mean they are truly "literate," much in the same way that just because someone's into classical music, if they're just enjoying it for the "catchy tunes," they obviously aren't truly listening to it. Harold Bloom is correct. They aren't truly reading, they're just looking at words and imagining a bad fantasy movie in their heads.
>>
>>64562444
Oh whoops, I forgot Order of the Phoenix because its so shitty

Dumbledore saves him again
>>
>>64559235
yes, he was the chosen one. end of story, and his prophecy proved it.
>>
>>64562615
hi autismo, im gay
>>
>>64561848
Because if he actually made something good she would be overshadowed and wouldn't become a meme celebrity, which she craves. Just look at all this retcon SJW stuff she keeps posting on twitter
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 399x600px
>>64562624
Order of the Pheonix is top 3 potter film. Stop with the meme
>>
>>64562615
I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm saying I don't think it particularly "struck a chord" or "resonated" with them so much as it was something generic and simple enough for kids to grasp that people said "Holy shit my kid is reading instead of playing video games or watching movies"

And then the Harry Potter video games and movies came out and shat on the whole thing
>>
File: 1362689145559.png (205KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1362689145559.png
205KB, 330x319px
>>64562723
>Half Blood Prince
>Prizoner of Azkaban
>Chamber of Secrets
>Sorcerers Stone
>Deathly Hallows 2
>Order of the Phoenix
>Deathly Hallows 1
>Goblet of Fire

if by top 3 you mean top 3 worst then yes I agree.
>>
>>64559322
>when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series

fuck is that true? What a stupid cunt
>>
>>64559480
>>64560214
>>64561615
not only that but during the end and the killing of the snake he redeems himself and isn't a pussy anymore, he's probably based as fuck now.
>>
>>64559235
No, both him and Ron were not.

But Hermonie is one of the biggest Mary Sue Icons
>>
>>64559235
No, but he's literally Luke just done in a Wizard setting
>>
I never understood the appeal of Harry Potter

They don't even use actual fucking spells. How can you have wizards that can't cast basics like fireball, short range teleportation, and cone of cold and still call them wizards? It's awful
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 221x228px
>>64562887
>'no'
>>
>>64562887
In the videos games you can.
>>
File: harry.png (80KB, 710x861px) Image search: [Google]
harry.png
80KB, 710x861px
>>64559235
hey guys im a big harry potter fan and im going to school to become a graphic designer because thats my dream

my teacher told me the most important thing is to have a personal artistic flare

here one of my most recent sketches of an harry potter series character

please tell me what u think :) (be honest but dont be meen)
>>
>>64562795
I like HBP and POA I wouldn't put HBP first though. I think OotP and DH1 are solid like HBP, wouldn't have them near the bottom. DH2 was meh, goblet is surely the worst.
>>
File: Modchick 1 - 17.jpg (409KB, 1280x1691px) Image search: [Google]
Modchick 1 - 17.jpg
409KB, 1280x1691px
>>64562615
"much in the same way that just because someone's into classical music, if they're just enjoying it for the "catchy tunes," they obviously aren't truly listening to it"

>dem darn kids ruining my shitty music taste with all these new classical boys bands, they don't "get" it like we used to do

I feel like I'm reading some particularly retarded metal dickrider's post on /mu/
>>
File: image.jpg (631KB, 1446x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
631KB, 1446x2000px
>>64562795
>>64562795
I like HBP and POA, wouldn't put HBP first though. I think OotP and DH1 are solid like HBP, they don't deserve to be near the bottom. DH2 was meh, goblet is surely the worst.
>>
>>64559235
No, he'd not have gotten far without his friends. This is shown constantly. Hermione is more skilled than him, and Ron lampshades the fact that so much stuff seems to revolve around Harry and is reasonably annoyed by it.
>>
>>64562887
Well yeah they're kids. Not everyone can be your waifu Sasuke.
> no fireball >:(
Watch the Tom/Dumbledore fight and tell me it's not badass wizard battle on screen.
Give me an example of a better one, I'm calling you out.
Even Minerva McGonagall (rip in peace) vs Snape was badass. Short but good.
> no short range TP >o<"
They use TP in the Ordre of Phonix vs Death Eaters before the Tom/Albus duel, they just don't yell it.
>BAKA NO cone of cold T_T
Why use cone of cold when every Death Eater,even friggin Vincent Crabbe can spam Avada Kedavra?
>>
File: 0pEACyI.jpg (56KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
0pEACyI.jpg
56KB, 533x400px
>>64562807
Is he banging Luna Lovegood at the end, or some random chick?
Never stick your dick in crazy, unless it's Luna.
>>
>>64563042
LOL
>>
>>64559526
Harry's scar is literally the most female plot device I have ever seen
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.