[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how come nobody called this faggot a gary stu? But everybody

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (9KB, 184x273px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 184x273px
So how come nobody called this faggot a gary stu?

But everybody jumped on Rey as a mary sue?

Sounds hypocritical
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>64540139
>>
did some podcast or youtube reviewer just use the term mary sue?

It is like babby's first English literary interpretation in here.
>>
>>64540139
Wouldn't the difference be that he was trained by NASA while Rey was a desert orphan with no known training on half the stuff she did?
>>
To be fair, he had to have a lot of things that weren't related to his chosen specialization in science (botany) explained to him.
>>
>>64540139
>I'm gonna have to Reddit the Reddit out of this Reddit!

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64540139
A lot of shit happens to him
He is a NASA biologist of the future
Basically all he did was just survive from his abdomen injury, get his shit together, start a potato field, and find the Mars rover.
After that they explained everything to him and saved him.
>>
>>64540548
why are you typing a synopsis of the plot...?
>>
he studied plants. yet knows how to fix a rocket ship
>>
>>64540605
the guys from the nasa tell him what to do.
>>
>>64540699
Checkd
>>
>>64540196
its the samefag making threads about it that doesnt know what the term means. not sure if its reddit or just trolling
>>
>>64540729
pathetic
>>
>>64540757
Hello reddit
Please Fucking leave
>>
IM GONNA REDDIT THE SHIT OUT OF THIS THREAD
>>
>>64540782
Wow that is pretty Damn Fucking rude

What's your problem???
>>
>>64540699
>the guys from the nasa tell him what to do.
AND they explain (at least in the book) That everyone on the mission is trained to do the jobs of the other people in case someone gets sick or hurt or dead, so that they can still get shit done.

So basically, he has his botany knowledge and has been trained for two years for a low level of competency in everything else he would need. PLUS he still had NASA telling him how to do everything every step of the way.

The things he did on his own
1. create farm-able land
2. hydrolyze water from fuel
3. go get rover
>>
>>64540581
because you didn't understand it because you have crippling autism
>>
Bourne Will Hunting enters his story as a typical astronaut, selected by NASA for intelligence and physical fitness, with tons of training. He's also a scientist (which many astronauts actually are). Making him a common schlub would actually be more unrealistic.

Reyrey enters her story as a bum who returns cans to the bottle depot, but soon reveals herself to be a genius mechanic, a well-trained ace pilot (she's played video games), a skilled swordsman, and a superhero, who everyone instantly admires and falls in love with.
>>
>>64540139
because he gets incredibly buttblasted at being stuck on Mars, and even his optimism and memery are clearly desperate and bourne of necessity.
>>
>>64540139
Because nobody fucking saw this awful movie.
>>
>how did a NASA trained astronaut and botanist manage to grow potatoes, the easiest crop to grow on Earth, and patch his space suit with duct tape? That sounds fucking impossible. I'm calling Gary Stu on this.
>>
>>64541042
he used the force i think
>>
Why did people hate The Martian?
Sure, it's just a straightforward plot movie with no depth but at least it's not completely retarded like Interstellar.
>>
>>64541094
That's not how it works.
>>
>>64541113
I like Interstellar more despite it being completely retarded. Nolan at least went for it. This was just as middle of the road as can be.
>>
File: Landis Mary Sue.png (374KB, 597x856px) Image search: [Google]
Landis Mary Sue.png
374KB, 597x856px
>>64540196
It was Landis.
>>
>>64540139
Not hypocritical at all - one is a Mary Sue and one is not.
>>
>Interstellar
>retarded

Probably the most patrician film of the decade
>>
>>64541113
it was one of the most acclaimed, successful movies this year, and could easily have underperformed thanks to coming after two other space movies but got great word-of-mouth. this is definitely a case where 4chan is memeing.

>>64541189
liking something just because its whacky is just as lazy as liking something because its a copy of a movie you've already seen.
>>
Astronauts aren't junk dealers in backwater shitholes.

Mark Watney is an astronaut. He does a job literally 99.999% of humanity isn't cut out for, be it for physical, mental, or emotional reasons.

He's going to be fine isolated, and would have a reasonable knowledge of multiple scientific fields. They don't take wrench monkeys into space, they send the absolute brightest and greatest of humanity. They didn't find Buzz Aldrin working in a toll booth.
>>
>>64541223
>Maybe it means something more - something we can't yet understand. Maybe it's some evidence, some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive. I'm drawn across the universe to someone I haven't seen in a decade, who I know is probably dead. Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
actual quote
>>
>>64541247
Even with it's third act that didn't work whatsoever Interstellar was a far more memorable movie than Castaway with a Mars skin. The Martian is a fundementally competent movie but it's so bland and risk free that who cares?

Interstellar is "worse" but it will also stick with me for far longer, both for good reasons and for bad. The Martian I could happily delete from history and nothing of interest would be lost. I'd rather see a curious swing and a miss than a success this safe.
>>
>>64541272
>one poorly wrote sentence ruin the whole 2h40 film for me
>I can't stand one bit of "glamour' or whatever

you know that's how they detect autism in hospitals right?

just fucking get over it and ignore the one fucking phrase a completely stressed out end of his life's astronaut is saying
>>
File: cock gun 2.jpg (107KB, 491x404px) Image search: [Google]
cock gun 2.jpg
107KB, 491x404px
I was really disappointed because all the asspulls they put in this movie made me think it was going to subtly turn into this generation's Airplane! except for space disaster movies. But no, they were just trying to making more lighthearted than Interstellar. A decent film, but I still somehow feel cheated.
>>
Mary Sues don't blow themselves the fuck up. If he were a mary sue he would have discovered life in the martian soil samples they were collecting that led to an ancient alien civilization underground that was dying and could only survive with his help as the Chosen One.
>>
>>64540139
1) because not everything went ok for him. He strugled multiple times
2) only max landis and some /tv/ contrarians were stupid enough to not understand rey's development because she's a woman and max landis is a known misogynyst
>>
>>64540139
let me guess, you just watched the honest trailers were they paint him as a gary stu but don't even care to mention that almost everything he did in mars was told to him bt the nasa people
>>
>>64541380
The whole alternate dimension thing was poorly thought out as well. The acting was pretty bad at some points. The expository dialogue was annoying. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it's definitely not one that needs to be seen. 5.8/10
>>
>>64541113
>>64541113
/tv/ doesn't like science that doesn't involve big green guys or manlets in armors
>>
>>64541664
Nolan can write a terrible cringeworthy paragraph of exposition about the nature of love and that's bad, but it's not irritating to the level of the reddit dialogue present in the martian.
>>
>>64541708
This.

/tv/ needs to learn to #ScienceThatShit
>>
>>64541736
>reddit dialogue present in the martian.
such as?

the only bad part about The Martian was Donald Glover
>>
Mary Sues aren't shown doing hard math and science to barely survive. Mary Sues have it all figured out to begin with and don't need to bother with any sort of real effort.
>>
>>64541113
i haven't seen the movie but the book has been shit on because of its reddit-tier humor and references

here's an excerpt

>In high school, I played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons. (You may not have guessed this Botanist / Mechanical Engineer was a bit of a nerd in high school, but indeed I was). In the game I played a Cleric. One of the magic spells I could cast was “Create Water”. I always thought it was a really stupid spell, and it never came up. Boy what I wouldn’t give to be able to do that in real life right now.
>>
>>64541785
>such as?
"I'm going to science the shit out of this" and also all subsequent dialogue that falls in line with the general tone of that quote.

>the only bad part about The Martian was Donald Glover
And he was so very bad. And people in the audience actually laughed. I haven't left my house since getting back from the martian now months later. I was already feeling alienated from life among normies, but it was at that pen scene that I realized I had no place in that world. Seriously, fuck the martian.
>>
>>64541664
I guess you just have really poor taste. Glad I'm not you
>>
>>64541855

Donald making rocket noises was the worst thing I ever saw, on that moment became a flick with no way to come back into being a movie. I actually had go get up and walk for a bit.
>>
>>64541855
>"I'm going to science the shit out of this"
Ok, yeah, that was kinda bad. They didn't overplay it too much though.

>I haven't left my house since getting back from the martian now months later. I was already feeling alienated from life among normies, but it was at that pen scene that I realized I had no place in that world. Seriously, fuck the martian.
get some help desu

>>64541881
I bet you think Interstellar was life changing and rate it in your top 10 movies.
I'm just saying The Martian was better than Interstellar
>>
>>64540842
and out of the 9 billion people on earth he was one of the first 18 chosen for the mars missions. he would know his shit
>>
File: hue.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
hue.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>64541973

>The Martian was better than Interstellar

I don't even know what to tell you man, if you truly do believe in this then I guess we will have to agree in disagree
>>
>>64541973
>I bet you think Interstellar was life changing and rate it in your top 10 movies.
inspiring yes, it made me think about the human nature and its problems regarding space exploration.
Life changing was more with 2001.

th martian was really basic in comparison. much less patrician
>>
>>64540139
The idea that a guy would stay sane alone for 4 years is ridiculous.
>>
>>64542394
It's been 3 years since I've been face to face with another human being and I'm still sane.
>>
>>64542071
calm down boris the animal
>>
>>64542166
>it made me think about the human nature and its problems regarding space exploration

A shitty film in which love transcends time and space so Mathew Mcconaughey can "solve gravity" and then send those results to his daughter is what got you to think about space exploration. Bravo "Patrician"

Martian > Intershitter
>>
>>64542466
You have internet, which is basically human contact by proxy. Also, those pizza don't deliver themselves.
>>
>>64540139
>NASA and university training
>Got terribly injured
>Got tons of help
>Was only really good at growing shit
>Got emaciated and weak as shit
>Barely made it out

You're a faggot that has no idea what that word means. If he had say, grown up as an orphan on a desert planet, then done all that shit without help, then he would be a mary sue.
>>
>>64542466
anon i have news for you...
>>
His character has a masters in mechanical engineering you fucking dolt
>>
>>64542466

I literally do not believe in you
>>
>>64542508
>Martian > anything
What part of literally reddit the movie don't you understand? If you were devoted to /tv/ then reddit tier meme pandering would be the very worst thing you could encounter in a movie and The Memetian had it in spades.
>>
>>64540139
Because it takes a lot more for a guy to be called a Gary Stu than a girl a Mary Sue

People just naturally hate female leads and have a lower tolerance for them. This will take a long time to undo
>>
>>64542594
Oh fuck off with that you tumblr cunt.
>>
>>64542609
See? Just pointing out the obvious truth gets me this sort of reaction. Much like you would get if you questioned the place of black people in the 30's American society
>>
>>64542594

Idiot, Mark Watney spent years training as an astronaut whereas Rey went from a desert scavenger to a mechanic, pilot, swordsman, jedi superhero.
>>
>>64542663
:^)
>>
>>64542666
>Mark Watney spent years training as an astronaut
Then where did he find time to learn all the dank reddit memes?
>>
>>64540842
4. iron man
>>
LETS GO COWBOY
>>
>>64540984
this
>>
>>64542394
HE WASN'T SANE THATS THE WHOLE POINT YOU FUCKING NORMIE, YOU JUST DONT GET IT BECAUSE YOU ARE A HAPPY GO LUCKY GUY, BUT THE GUY WASNT SANE, HIS EXAGGERATED OPTIMISM AND SHIT WAS CYNICAL ALL ALONG BECAUSE HE JUST DIDNT GIVE A SHIT ANYMORE AND EVEN NEARLY SUICIDED A COUPLE TIMES DUE TO NOT GIVING A FUCK
>>
>>64541189
Well, Nolan did go for something but ether that something wasn't that daring or he didn't go far enough. Interstellar felt like a popular science movie masquerading as something deeper.

The Martian on other hand is a competent space flick without the pretention.
>>
>>64541844
Considering what they had to work with the movie turned out pretty good. Damon managed to make the cringey lines work.
>>
>>64542394
hello reddit
>>
File: from Matt to Meth.jpg (630KB, 1056x2372px) Image search: [Google]
from Matt to Meth.jpg
630KB, 1056x2372px
>>
>>64542489
what a shitty villian he was. you could tell they were trying to give him a quirk like edgar in the first one, and it totally fell flat. why was he called animal? why would he care about being called animal? it was really dumb
>>
>>64541113
It's the most bland cliche fest I've seen in a long time. If you've seen any astronaut movie before, you've seen The Martian. Even Armageddon had more personality. The amount of praise it's getting is baffling.
>>
>>64544264
there was nothing in the movie that pointed to any of this.
>>
>>64544264
Growing a beard and making a few off handed jokes about dying is not a realistic response to being isolated on another planet for four years. The movie would have been twice as entertaining if they let Matt Damon loose, especially since the whole movie is him talking to the camera.
>>
File: TV.jpg (700KB, 1274x715px) Image search: [Google]
TV.jpg
700KB, 1274x715px
>>64545628
You're what's wrong with this board.
>>
>>64540139
Astronauts are selected for being the best humanity has to offer. Didn't you watch that one simpsons episode?
>>
>>64546286
ok normie

>>64546567
the hints were poor i agree with that but tBh it was kinda obvious and that was my interpretation at least

>>64546625
then why was there a mexican?
>>
>>64540139
He does emergency first aid to himself and then grows a potato field in space. Also, he screws up a lot, unlike Rey.
>>
People don't rabidly defend the movie
>>
>IM GONNA HAVE TO REDDIT THE SHIT OUT OF /TV/
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64540186
A big no no
>>
>>64540139
What are you, drunk ? Mark Watney is such a good character, though.
>>
>>64544264
>AND EVEN NEARLY SUICIDED A COUPLE TIMES DUE TO NOT GIVING A FUCK
point out when he did this please
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.