[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>100 years ago murderous gangs in New York openly engaged

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: tmp_26118-serveimage606292069.jpg (375KB, 2048x1315px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26118-serveimage606292069.jpg
375KB, 2048x1315px
>100 years ago murderous gangs in New York openly engaged in huge battles with various blunt and sharp weapons in broad daylight with people dying like it's a warzone

Really?

This was a thing?
>>
>>64531999
that was like 150 years ago
>>
File: 110-1000x576.jpg (269KB, 1000x576px) Image search: [Google]
110-1000x576.jpg
269KB, 1000x576px
>>64531999

>This was a thing?

Yep
>>
>>64531999
if you weren't a lazy jobless fat bedroom dweller you'd know the worlds a violent place especially 100+ years ago.
>>
>>64531999
The exact same thing basically happens today with guns instead of random objects. Why is this surprising?
>>
le assassin's creed
>>
The Gangs of New York was a non-fiction book written by a journalist, and was even more shocking than the movie that was loosely based on it.

New York slums were Africa-tier shitholes back then.
>>
File: Dead Rabbits.jpg (27KB, 375x196px) Image search: [Google]
Dead Rabbits.jpg
27KB, 375x196px
>>64531999
It actually was.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Points,_Manhattan

>Five Points is alleged to have sustained the highest murder rate of any slum in the world. According to an old New York urban legend, the Old Brewery, an overcrowded tenement on Cross Street housing 1,000 poor, is said to have had a murder a night for 15 years until its demolition in 1852

>The "Dead Rabbits" was the media designation for a branch of the "Roach Guards," a violent Irish gang. The Dead Rabbits Riot began when one faction destroyed the headquarters of the Bowery Boys at 26 Bowery on July 4, 1857. The Bowery Boys retaliated which led to a large-scale riot which waged back and forth on Bayard Street between Bowery and Mulberry Street.

Of course, like anything Hollywood they gave it their treatment, but it is somewhat based in reality.
>>
>>64531999
Nigger it was a thing in the 50s haven't you seen any documentaries on gangs?
>>
>>64532091
>CAN
>YOU
>DIG IT
>>
>happening in chicago and detroit right now

freeing those slaves sure made america a better place!
>>
>>64531999
>literally not knowing history
>even if its not your own

come on bro
>>
>>64531999

Can you believe that New York USED to be that much of a shithole?
>>
>>64532146
What's with that aggression

I just asked a question

This shit was unthinkable in Europe since the middle ages
>>
>>64532233
Something similar happened last week in Cologne.
>>
>>64532233
>This shit was unthinkable in Europe
You can't be serious?
>>
>>64532230
>Can you believe that New York USED to be that much of a shithole?

It had a significant Irish minority, so it being a shitholes goes without saying
>>
>>64532233
>This shit was unthinkable in Europe since the middle ages
I'll give it a 8/10, somebody's going to bite.
>>
You memed it wrong, OP
>>
File: 1371327282531.jpg (55KB, 650x353px) Image search: [Google]
1371327282531.jpg
55KB, 650x353px
>>64531999

they were all irish so noone really cared

sorta like blacks killing each other today
>>
>>64532233
Unless you're a Muslim
>>
>>64532283
I don't recall a time certainly since the Renaissance in Europe where open gang wars were this common and entire cities controlled by such gangs in Europe.

Care to convince me otherwise? And no, we're not counting Muslim gangs of the last twenty years because Europe is devolving.
>>
>>64532536
You understand Europe is far larger than the few countires which you are thinking of, right?

Even so, who are football hooligans? Who are the droves of Russians who fight for the purpose of fighting?

This shit is everywhere, you are a literal idiot.
>>
>>64532622
Fine, western Europe, directly comparable to the USA since Europe's strength only ever came from France, Britain and Germany.

Football hooligans never have and never will control cities or districts.

Nor do they regularly fight to the death in the streets. Rarely there's shoving, maybe punching.

Those hooligan movies are utter bullshit you know.
>>
>>64532622
also nyc was being flooded by immigrants and the stupidest ones just stayed right where they got off. they had to accept everyone. it was a lot harder to control people back then.
>>
>>64532622
Russia is not European and hooligans are hardly comparable.
>>
>>64532702
>Football hooligans never have and never will control cities or districts.
What? Neither did the people you are complaining of, you know this movie is nothing like history, right?

Where does it say that these gangs were in control of new york? Do you think drug dealers and their gangs controll the city? Because there is gang warfare fucking everywhere.
>>
>>64532728
Bingo

Europe was far more culturally homogeneous back then

NYC was being flooded with hundreds of thousands of uneducated poor immigrants from competing cultures
>>
>>64531999
America used to be a pretty cool place 2bh
>>
>>64532837
We still have lots of gang violence man

Just go to Detroit
>>
>>64532795
Even so, Europe had no gangs fighting to the death in battles. This is because Europe had proper states of law and order for centuries at that point while USA was still trying to become a nation like that.

Just saying, that shit is pretty far out for any first world European country's history. Even the middle ages had a very strong order, if you got out of line you Lord whacked you.
>>
>>64532702
Yeah, you guys are so civilized you only dragged the entire world into your wars twice since those gang wars were happening in New York.
>>
>>64532837
A fucking sitting Vice President once killed a former Secretary of the Treasury in a duel. We used to be so much more interesting.
>>
>>64532989
That's nations fighting nations. See we advanced from gang wars centuries ago so all we had was actual wars. See also the revolution of the Germanic states of 1871 to form the German empire.

Quite different from gang wars.
>>
>>64532903
Europe in the Middle Ages had thousands of little principalities and dukedoms that constantly fought back and forth for scraps of land

The nation-state didn't emerge far later than you think
>>
>>64532903
You are severly disillusioned with how histroy has played out.
>>
>>64533093
Yes, but they didn't operate completely outside the law unlike gangs in the 19th century. Those battles were really just one Lord laying claim to another. They were mini states within the state or in the case of HRE a confederation.

But not as archaic as chieftains.
>>
Am I the only one that absolutely loves the Gangs of New York movie? I don't know why. Its not necessarily a good movie objectively speaking, but I love it.
>>
>>64533201
DDL has that effect
>>
>>64532230
Do you not remember how much of a shit hole NYC was in the 80's and early 90's?
>>
>>64532903
What are the Irish Troubles?
>>
>>64531999
this is my favorite movie
>>
>>64533270
DDL saved that movie from being complete shit. Leonardo Dicaprio was shit and don't even get me started on Cameron Diaz's awful fucking accent.
>>
>>64533151
The people committing these riots and shit you are talking about are first generation immigrant from Europe bro.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.