[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone please explain the trade blockade / sheev enticing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: NEBZqlNEHtKSFK_1_b.jpg (40KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
NEBZqlNEHtKSFK_1_b.jpg
40KB, 600x316px
can someone please explain the trade blockade / sheev enticing padme to sign the treaty or whatever?
>>
Here's a thought, faggot: pay attention to the movie.
>>
File: Darth-Maul_632eb5af.jpg (216KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Darth-Maul_632eb5af.jpg
216KB, 768x432px
HOYOOO
HEY HOY YOO

HOYOOOO
HEY-HOY-YOOO
>>
>>64491689

>Paying attention to prequel shit.
>>
>>64491364
Sheev can look into the future and just went through a bunch of different scenarios in his head and it just so happens that was the way that would lead him to becoming Emperor.
Don't try to think about it logically.
>>
>>64491689
Explain it if you can, anon. I'm interested to hear what you come up with.
>>
Sheev needed the Naboo crisis to get a vote of no confidence in Valorum and get him appointed to Chancellor.
>>
>>64491364
>can someone please explain the trade blockade / sheev enticing padme to sign the treaty or whatever?

pottery
>>
>>64492240
this

/thread
>>
>>64492240
Yes, we all understand that. But what exactly did the Nimodians/Trade Federation get out of the deal? They didn't just jump into a war for no reason.
>>
>>64492448
They were his puppets, he told them to.
>>
>>64492448
They get control of Naboo
>>
File: tpmls12.jpg (153KB, 1858x788px) Image search: [Google]
tpmls12.jpg
153KB, 1858x788px
>>64492673
They constantly question their actions and say things like "we should never have made this deal" as well as calling out Sidious' plan. They don't act like direct puppets even though he's using them. They had enough volition to back out if they wanted to.
>>
>>64491364
It was a blockade against the white man anon.
>>
>>64492448
-Republic is trying to start taxing Trade Federation routes to outlying systems

- TF doesn't want this

- They blockade and invade Naboo for 2 reasons

- 1) The blockade stage is to make a symbolic protest to influence the republic to stop with its legislation to tax the routes. This works as simple blackmail "we will disrupt all your shit until you give us our way". TF hopes the republic will appease them and drop the taxes. Also similar systems to Naboo might vote against the taxes to make the issue go away and avoid a similar fate

- 2) The invasion stage aims to make Naboo sign a treaty which makes Naboo a protectorate of the Trade Federation. This means that the Trade Federation can dictate how Naboo uses its vote in the Senate, and use the extra votes to support TF agendas. Lots of weak outlying systems like Naboo have recently been admitted to the senate and given equal votes, so if the TF makes enough of these worlds protectorates, they will have enough votes to dominate the democratic Senate. The public example of the invasion - if it succeeded - would probably make hundreds of other planets like Naboo voluntarily sign protectorate treaties with the TF to avoid suffering the same fate, and because the Republic clearly could not protect them

So either TF gets the tax repealed, or it gets to grow its power bloc to increase its control in the senate
>>
>>64493306
You've gotten me thinking, what was the state of The Republic's military before the introduction of the clone army?

Was it every planet for itself?
>>
>>64491364
Jar Jar Was the Key to all of it.
>>
>>64493416
He really was. He was the one who convinced the senate to give emergency powers to Sheev.
>>
>>64493306
At what point is any of this explained or even implied in the movie?
>>
>>64493491
It's implied if you're not stupid.

It's supposed to be convoluted and hard to follow though, the idea was the Republic politics were a confused mess and this environment is what allowed Sheev to thrive and take power.
>>
>>64491740
BAT DAT DOODALOO BAT DAT DOODALOO
>>
>>64492448
LEL IVE WATCHED THE EBIN PLINKETT REVIEWS
>>
>>64493070
>blockade against
TAXATION OF TRADE ROUTES
>>
>>64493371
Presumably they had none, maybe a small symbolic peace keeping force made up of transplants from constituant planets militaries, like the United Nations. In fact the Empire is a lot like if the U.N. somehow got itself enough power to roll all the member militaries into one global army. Damn, that'd suck shit.
>>
>>64493371
Yes, the Republic had no standing army. And hippies like Padme were trying to stop them from making one even after the shenanigans of episode 1.
>>
>>64493544
This is a kids movie and kids are stupid.
>>
>>64493438
What a maverick...
>>
>>64493621
I watched this movie when I was a kid, and I wasn't thinking "wow these trade federation politics are convoluted and ruining the movie for me and I bet nobody here could describe Qui-Gonn Jinn outside of how he dresses and what he does for a living."

My least favourite one as a kid was Empire Strikes Back. The plot structure is very unsatisfying for a standalone movie.
>>
>>64493306
>>64493491

>"The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute.
Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo."

I guess this implies they are trying to get the taxes repealed

There should have maybe been more explanation of what the treaty was

You don't need to set it all out though - ANH did it best by just hinting at the wider geo-politics without explaining everything

Most of the background comes from Darth Plageius (the only bit of EU i've ever read)

It's a shame though, they only needed a couple of extra lines. The broad idea of an expanding republic and the problems it creates is an interesting backdrop that makes a lot of other stuff make sense:

So it seems like the right thing to include these outer systems and give them a vote like everyone else but then
a) The republic needs to expand its own services to provide for them (i.e. a proper army, civil service, universal laws - like no slavery on Tatooine)
b) If it doesn't and they are weak planets, they can easily be dominated by corrupt big business etc. By trying to expand democracy to them, you end up subverting it
>>
>>64493986
Fucked up the greentext a bit there, but the first 3 lines are from the opening crawl
>>
why didnt sheeve just force the cloners to make him an army and use it to form an empire and just take over the republic? why even bother wasting all that time and effort of hiding who he was? he could have just stormed the jedi temple, murdered them all and said to the republic "the jedi are dead, join me or die."

the republic had no military to speak of and he wouldn't have wasted all those soldiers fighting a stupid droid army, obviously he could have manipulated them fairly easily into joining the empire and just gradually take away all their power.
>>
>>64494486
> obviously he could have manipulated them
manipulated the trade federation that is not the republic
>>
I'm more interested in the clone's equipment actually, if the republic had no army where did they get start destroyers and massive ground vehicles? Was all of that included in the clones package? How did nobody notice that?
>>
>>64491689
it is never explained in the movie why they are blockading the planet other than vague shit about taxation
>>
File: 1396390000879.png (305KB, 702x828px) Image search: [Google]
1396390000879.png
305KB, 702x828px
>>64493544
>Republic politics were a confused mess and this environment is what allowed Sheev to thrive and take power

oh you have got to be kidding me
>>
File: 1440963550105.jpg (526KB, 1280x953px) Image search: [Google]
1440963550105.jpg
526KB, 1280x953px
>>64493306
you quick explanation makes sens and lucas could not even put he whole movie to convey this.
>>
>>64493546
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

waaaaaah waaaaaaaah
>>
>>64493546
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BAH TAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.