[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it's fucking awful to start these kind of threads, but...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

File: stlke.jpg (22KB, 220x297px) Image search: [Google]
stlke.jpg
22KB, 220x297px
why the fuck I CAN'T FIND ONE QUALITY DOWNLOAD FOR STALKER IN VO.

Had that on dvd, sold it and now feel like revisiting it, why the internet is so cruel (any kind soul around here?)
>>
Does that even have a blu ray remaster, by the way?

What the fuck are Criterion waiting for...
>>
Can we just turn this into Stalker discussion?

>>52873583
They brought Solaris at least. would love a blu of stalker
>>
Read the book if you haven't.
>>
>>52874343
Yeah but muh Tarkovsky

Any site to cop it in good quality?
>>
>>52874462
There's 'no good quality rip' on it. Only DVDs. Sorry.

Also, what's your favourite Tarkovski film, /tv/?

I'm watching his work for the first time and Zérkalo and Andrei Rublev just blew me away, even if the former is a bit convoluted, both are beautiful, awe inspiring. Yet I wonder what's the meaning behind the black and white scenes in Zérkalo. Introspection on the mother's vision of life maybe?
>>
>>52874652
>putting superfluous accents on letters to seem smart
>>
>>52874688
I'm spanish. It's just natural for me, like you putting apostrophes.
>>
>>52874652
Yeah but dvd rips can be good too. Which one did you watch? Halp a brother out come on
>>
The one on PTP is fine
>>
>>52874785
There's one at kat.ph that's not quite bad. You can always download full ISOs though.

https://kickass.so/stalker-1979-dvdrip-x264-ac3-psix-t8098667.html
>>
I believe there's some rights issue that has prevented a bluray or even a decent DVD release for some time now. At least that was the case a few years ago when I looked into it. There was hardly any info back then and even after a quick search I've just d one it doesn't seem like there's been any update since.
>>
>>52875104
Artificial Eye is on a remastering on it though.
>>
>>52874861
Thanks, bro.

Also from Spain btw, have you sin Victor Erice's stuff? Best film maker from here
>>
>>52875307
No! Actually I've never seen actually good films from the country. A bit of the national self hatred I guess lol. I'll check him up, thank you.
>>
>>52874652
I think the black and white scenes are dreams, thoughts and memories of tarkovskys life.
>>
>>52875477
So are the colour ones, don't you think?
>>
>>52875565
No, the coloured ones relate to his fathers' life.
>>
>>52875626
What? Most coloured segments refer to Tarkovski's childhood or struggles with his wife and being a father. There are little segments of his father in the film (mostly his poems), and they are almost always related to mirroring himself with him, as he mirrors himself with his son (Thus the name).

Most black and white scenes have the mother as the central point of view (see the typewriter scene as the most obvious one).

Not talking about the archive videos though.
>>
>>52875372
Ya, te entiendo en parte. Es como si todo lo que sale de nuestro país es basura pero olvidamos a grandes como Erice o Buñuel (que los americanos casi te lo pintan como suyo, já) que alguna vez estuvieron creando grandes obras.

PS: yo tampoco soy muy de ver cine español, por cierto, algún dia haré una maratón o algo así a ver que tal
>>
>>52873439
see>>52873927
>>
>>52873439
They're releasing all his movies in Blu Ray sometime this year. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15450
>>
>>52875807
Buñuel es un grande, pero la distincion entre Francia y España se me hace confusa con él. Americano ni de coña, eso si.
>>
>>52875960
>>52875807
taco plz
>>
>>52875974
>Americans can't differentiate spain from mexico
oh, yeah, forgot i'm on this american infested board, see ya guys going to talk with someone that has more than a couple neurons up
>>
>>52875974
More like Paella and torito wapo wapo it's not that hard.
>>
>>52876163
>a couple neurons up
To be honest(other spanish dude here) i think it's okay to keep discussing in english, sometimes speaking in the orginal language of the poster(believe me, happens a lot with mexicans in other threads) ends up derailing the thread.
¿Qué otras peliculas deberia ver de Tarkovsky? Apenas vi solaris y planeo ver hoy stalker, tambien tengo que conseguir su otra pelicula Offret.
>>
>>52876163
There's no different between Spain and Mexico. You're all niggers lol.
>>
>>52873737
yes!

I'm writing my thesis on self-knowledge in Stalker, and I would love to hear some ideas.
most of my friends haven't seen it
>>
>>52874343
Tarkovsky raped the book, just like he did with Solaris. The game is much better adaptation than the film.
>>
>>52876541
fuck off, its hardly an adaptation at all. Its not even really science fiction, and a totally different experience.

that being said, I have heard some great things about the games, and I'll probably play them at some point.
>>
>>52876372
As I said Andrei Rublev is an outstanding piece of film. The gate between his most experimental and his first, most restricted way of storytelling. I should recommend you to watch him in chronological order, even The Steamroller and the Violin has worth.
>>
>>52876372
I'm not actually >>52876163

I understand speaking in english when we're on an american imageboard though, I just ignored that dude and that's it.
Ya has visto Zérkalo, no? Su filmografía no es muy extensa así que recomiendo verla toda. Si quieres que haga un "cherry-pick" entonces diría Andrei Roublev aparte de todas las ya mencionadas (Zerkalo, Solaris, Stalker)
>>52876532
Oh, looks nice, I'd love to read it when it's finished. Would that be possible?
>>
>quality
>stream

Pick one and only one
>>
>>52876586
that is my point, Tarkovsky to something interesting and turned it into a bunch of Philosophical waffling. Catnip for high brows and patricians.
>>
>>52876661
>Ya has visto Zérkalo
Nop, I still have to watch that film.
De qué se trata Zérkalo, digo que tipo de temas aborda ya vez que por ejemplo Stalker habla acerca de puntos muy importantes un ejemplo seria como la gente abandonando una idea de un dios o fe por un acercamiento más determinista y cientifico
>>52876660
>As I said Andrei Rublev
Chronological order, got it. Do you like Herzog?
I boughta few days ago Aguirre La ira de dios, and it was amazing.
>>
File: thesis_cover_page.jpg (242KB, 875x993px) Image search: [Google]
thesis_cover_page.jpg
242KB, 875x993px
>>52876661
possible probably, although I'm not sure how. thanks for your interest. Maybe I'll start a thread when I'm done.
>>
>>52876699

Wow I've never heard a better description of this film, why is it so over rated
>>
>>52874780
>I'm spanish

I'm so sorry.
>>
>>52876844
I would love to read your work about it, when do you think you're gonna have it done, anon?
>>
>>52876874
I am not sure, maybe I do not have the context or understanding. Maybe it is because it is so different from most films that it gets praise. I just found it trite and lacking. Critics and cinephiles rate Bela Tarr films as the best of the last 30 years, I find them far worse than Tarkovsky.
>>
>>52876699
>scifi shit
>interesting
He wasn't concerned with either Solaris and Stalker's original intents but was always captivated with the human side of the stories. That's why they're so different than the source material. 1:1 adaptations are meaningless anyways.
>>
>>52876824
Zércalo is a film about himself as a mirror to his son and his father. Brief, autobiographical moments put in a poetic, non-chronological way. Develops his themes about the mother/wife relationship put on Solyaris and his use of own metaphors. I really recomend to read some wikipedia about his life and watch in chronological order (specially for such an autobiographical work).

As a curiosity, both Solyaris and Zérkalo reference Andrei Rublev, as a painter and as a film.

>>52876901
Me too.

>>52876824
I've been watching a weird marathon of L. Alonso/Tarkovski/Miyazaki lately. I'll check him out.

>>52876844
If you accept e-mails, I would like to give you mine for when you finish the work. I'm not here so often so...
>>
>>52876699
>waffling
If you mean the conflicts between the Stalker and Writer specifically, then yeah, that's the point. For all their speeches, they still avoid the true knowledge the Room presents.
Its a fucking tragedy, and is far more subtle in its treatment of the idea than Roadside Picnic.

>>52877088
This.
Tarkovsky intended for Stalker to be about our inability to love.
>>
>>52876915
Saturday.
>>
>>52877184
>>52877088
yep Tarkovsky + vague aphorism, oh how profound

also >>52877088 confirmed for not reading anything Lem wrote.
>>
>>52877164
>L. Alonso/Tarkovski/Miyazaki
Which Alonso? I'm not really familiar with that name.
>>
>>52876874
I can understand disdain for those who parade it around as "too challenging" for most people, and try to flaunt their superiority by doing so, but it honestly deserves the praise it has received.
>>
>>52877372
Lisandro Alonso. Known for his latest film, Jauja. He has quite a good eye for natural enviroments and he's true to himself. Also, he's innocent about what he does, he just loves it and wants to express something in his own eye.

I like him.
>>
>>52876824
>>52876844
Maybe you can mail it to me? (read-only if you wanna, have no intention on copying it or whatever)
>>52877457
>>52877164
>L. Alonso/Tarkovski/Miyazaki
I'm assuming you have already seen all of Bergman's, because he is literally all the good stuff those directors have combined
>>
>>52877498
I've only seen Persona but he's my direct next. I'm quite new at this.

How does he even relate in the slightest to Miyazaki is a thing that will haunt me though.
>>
>>52877457
Ok, I'm gonna watch his films. What's your opinion on other kind of directors like Orson Wells or Sergei Eisenstein. I love the work of Sergei in Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the terrible.
>>
>>52877272
>vague aphorism
Once again, exactly the point. I was paraphrasing, so that's why it may seem less nuanced than it is. The aphorisms are so haphazardly cast about, and then revealed to be disposable.
It isn't 2deep4u, but it is easily misinterpreted. Heavy moralism is a Russian tradition, but Tarkovsky is critiquing it in Stalker.
>>
>>52877560
He's great, one of my fave film makers and, as I said, has the deepness of Tarkovsky, the nature elements of Alonso, that atmosphere of Miyazaki's... i'm exaggerating when I say it has the best of each but it sure has a similar style of theirs and is good as fuck at it.

I'm quite new at this too, even though I've been on it for a few years...
>>
>>52877498
>>52877560
>How does he even relate in the slightest to Miyazaki is a thing that will haunt me though.

Really though, elaborate?
>>
>>52877674
>Atmosphere of Miyazaki's

Miyazaki isn't a horror director, anon.
>>
>>52877689
Miyazaki has that child-like feel and loss of innocence as recurring theme, plus he is really good at creating atmospheres (such as Mononoke, there it's really clear) and has a strong link with nature (which shares with Alonso, and Bergman).

It's not like exactly the same, dude, but you could easily relate it with Bergman.
>>
>>52877767
>Miyazaki has that child-like feel and loss of innocence as recurring theme
To be honest a japanese director more related to Tarkovsky and Bergman would be Oshii.
>>
>>52877767
I admit I was being glib. I can see the relation in Fanny and Alexander.
>>
>>52877594
I watched Orson Welles works quite early and I don't remember most, but I have to say he got Kafka's atmosphere and 'vision' with an unexpected greatness, even if the actor they got for Josep K. was far more obnoxious than I could bear. By Einsestein I couldn't talk. I haven't seen more than Potemkin and it really shocked me as a kid.

>>52877767

I would disagree with 'loss of innocence'. Miyazaki tries to catch images through the child's lenses, enhance those images. It's the 'recovery of innocence (as refered to the rural childhood he lived and loved)', in my point of view, what he tries to achieve.
>>
Can somebody explain to me why adding subtle depth makes a film good, people keep going on about Tarkovsky's messages in his films but why does putting a message praise worthy especially if you couldn't give a shit about that message?
>>
>>52877848
Just because of the sci-fi factor? Nah
>>52877902
But at the same time you see a innocent kid grow up (mentally) in his films. always.

Be it Totoro (mei, obv.), Grave of the Fireflies (come on this one is obvious), Chihiro, etc. They all "lose their inocence" and face up real life stuff such as death, relationships, poverty, loss, etc.
>>
>>52877498
I would be hesitant to give out an email on 4chan, but I may create a read-only google doc or something once it goes into the archive in our Library.
I actually was initially going to write on Persona, comparing it to an essay by Jorge Luis Borges.
>>
>>52877991
>Grave of the Fireflies
>Miyazaki

Not him, although it is Studio Ghibli.
>>
>>52877943
His message his for humanity. If you can't accept his message, that says alot about yourself. In te end, you don't have to agree if it's praise worthy. It's all opinions afterall.
>>
>>52878161

It's not about accepting it, it's about just not that interesting, I just find the films not that enjoyable
>>
>>52877991
>sci-fi factor? Nah
Did you saw Angel Egg from him? That relates a lot to the idea of Stalker, and even Oshii was a big fan Tarkovsky, the idea of faith, god and why we should believe in that, he also made a work about dreams. He belives in the image and the atmosphere(example patlabor 2) his creations are dreamlike, for example red spectacles.
Also Totoro it's about a family nothing beyond that, the Grave of the fireflies it's from takahata and the point it's how the japanese society was ignoring his teenagers and kids
>>
>>52877991
Grave of the Fireflies is quite obviously Takahata's (he is more of a drama creator than Miyazaki will ever be).

The perfect example of what you try to say is Kiki, but her development (and Chihiro's) is directed to being more open, as a child, losing prejudice for the new things. Chihiro's early character is a typical good-for-nothing city girl, ignorant and selfish, it's not that kind of innocence that Miyazaki likes in a kid. As I said, he raves rural childhood and little discoveries.

Then, responsability is another trend on him, but I would never say any of that has to do with the concept of innocence and losing it.

Also, Oshii's tone in Ghost in the Shell at least can be seen as a pretty much obvious Tarkovskian influence.
>>
>>52878222
It's not meant to be interesting. It's not entertainment. His messages are something that we the viewer can take away from, to possibly better ourselves, to help us see the truth.
>>
>>52878036
But, man, I can give you MY mail ;)
this way you don't need to post yours but whatever

>>52878151
You get what I mean
>>52878226
Haven't seen Angel Egg, maybe that explains it all. Have seen Patlabor though.
>>
>>52878282
>The perfect example of what you try to say is Kiki, but her development
Well,Toshio Suzuki pursuaded Miyasaki to make this film (against Miyasaki's will), based on his (Suzuki's) own instinct as a great producer. As a Miyasaki work, I think it plays to the audience too much, and falls apart. I suspect he got depressed after that. He took a hiatus for about two years after that, you know.
>>
>>52878222
>not that interesting
Its interesting enough to spend a goddamn month writing on it and still find new things every time I watch it. I know I'm being defensive but goddamn, what the hell do you mean.
>>
>>52878311

Then it's lacking compared to the source material that is interesting and truth is all relative you can take that from anything
>>
File: OLEG_YANKOVSKY_CTR57858.jpg (364KB, 1600x1043px) Image search: [Google]
OLEG_YANKOVSKY_CTR57858.jpg
364KB, 1600x1043px
>>52878311

>not meant to be interesting

Tarkovksy's editing, visual symbolism, masterful use of long takes and insanely gorgeous mise-en-scene are the epitome of interesting. Only someone who doesn't understand cinema is unable to see that. That's why they should stick to PTA and Nolan shit.
>>
>>52878282
>As I said, he raves rural childhood and little discoveries.
He prefers adventures and planes, example of this are all his stories and Porco rosso, along with the castle in the air. The point with miyasaki is that he wants to show a story, and he it's mad anime became just a bussiness(which it's normal, almost everything became a bussiness) and that people are not telling stories the way he does.
>>
>>52878411
Being interesting is also relative. What really is your point then? It all comes down to you in the end.
>>
File: ig.jpg (182KB, 510x349px) Image search: [Google]
ig.jpg
182KB, 510x349px
>>52878449
its a in front of a fucken brick building filmed by quack who believed in UFOs and other mystical bullshit
>>
>>52878449
I agree, but I am a fan of PTA, although in a much different way stylistically. Punch-Drunk Love and TWBB both have some beautiful long takes as well, and they're both as symbolically rich in my opinion.
>>
>>52878311
more vague waffling, sounds like a cult or religion
>>
>My dear! The world is absolutely dull, and that is why there’s neither telepathy, nor ghosts, nor flying saucers... and there cannot be anything of the kind. Iron laws control the world and it’s intolerably boring. And these laws, alas, cannot be broken. They’re not able to. ...And believe not in the flying saucers. That would be all too interesting.
>>
>>52878363
Takahata is a VASTLY different director and loss of innocence is actually a key theme on him.

>>52878399
That's strange, because even if the cat's purpose and way of ending were far-fetched, it felt quite like a Miyazaki film in its themes about the elderly and Kiki's development to a more care-free attitude towards others of the same age while mantaining responsability.

>>52878464
Oh, of course! I wasn't focusing on his entire work but the treatment of kids. Just watching Porco Rosso/The Wind Rises' duo reveals how much he love the concept of crossing the sky. Nobody has ever animated the subtleties of it better than him. His works are just synonims of the wind, simple and clear. Whenever he creates a much overcomposed scenario or story, I feel like he just falls apart, like he did with Chihiro or Howl (they are beautiful movies still)

>>52878036
I can give you my mail if you don't mind.
>>
>>52878602
Tarkovsky was a very religious and spiritual man. If you want to be fedora about it, then his films aren't for you.

>>52878449
I meant interesting in the way fedoras think. Basically 2deep4u, "really makes you think" garbage. Just really superficial level of understanding.
>>
>>52874343
I did. It doesn't even have an ending.
>>
>>52878670
Go for it. I'll have it for you by Saturday, maybe earlier.
>>
>>52878721
Then its just that, superficial. In the same way as describing people as memes.
>>
>>52878449
>insanely gorgeous mise-en-scene
Whenever he does those elipsis of placement he makes in his long shots it just makes me love him. (I don't really know the exact term but the multiple Hari's scene is a PERFECT example of that and he does it in every film of his). Saying his imagery is not interesting is like saying 2001 is boring.

Also, Paul Thomas Anderson, even if he seems to be dulled down in voice, is quite interesting. I really liked The Master and I'm hopeful he will make wonders with his Pynchon adaptation. However, he's the opposite of what we're talking about in here. Not even comparable with Nolan, who lost all artistic value after his very first (and only decent) film.
>>
>>52878729
rockpaperscissorsmikedestroy(x)gmail.com

I didn't decide the name I swear. Hope to be able to read it soon.

Also, mail me as soon as you can to be able to distinguish you.
>>
>>52873439
If I recall there isn't a high quality version anywhere because the original print was destroyed.
>>
>>52879010
Sent.
Thanks, Anon.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.