[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /trv/ call or contact home while traveling? If you do how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (92KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 540x960px
Does /trv/ call or contact home while traveling? If you do how often for how long using which method (email, phone call, Skype). If you do not, why?
>>
My dad will email me maybe once a week just to enquire what I'm up to (and I guess make sure that I'm still alive). If I had a Facebook I guess I would just use that. I seldom contact home of my own initiative; I guess I am bad at keeping in touch with people in general.
>>
>>940391
I send my folks a message about every other day, usually just a text or Whatsapp. The longer I stay, the more I forget to do that, but they usually send me a message to check after a few days.
>>
when I traveled long term I had an AT&T calling card and would call my girlfriend and family pretty often.

now I'm married to the girlfriend from that time and have a job that requires me to contact the office pretty regularly while Im out on my 10 days of sanctioned vacation a year. usually I send an email with a picture of something exotic to my bosses just to show them I wasn't lying about taking a vacation to avoid more work.
>>
>>940391
Skype for a half hour once a week or so. Sometimes short texts in between.
>>
I've made 3 international trips. The first time was only a week. I left my phone at home and didn't bother calling much. The other 2 times, I called home daily, but the calls were short, and I would send longer emails on WiFi.
>>
My dad calls me/messages me on Facebook like every day while I'm abroad, because he's ~subtly~ checking up on me, but I keep that short because it's kind of intrusive. My mom leaves me alone unless I call/text her, which I try to do maybe once a week. My girlfriend talks to me whenever she can, but she's got a lot going on, so being on opposite sides of the globe, 13 hours apart makes constant communication difficult.
>>
>>940391

Never.
>No news is good news.
>>
Parents send me an email about once or twice a week. My mother keeps trying to get me to get skype/fb but fuck that shit.
>>
>>940393
This, except replace 'dad' with 'mother' and 'once a week' with 'every second day or so'.
>>
I'll send my Dad a message about once every 2 weeks, sometimes with a photo. Tell him what I've been up to, how many chicks I've fucked, crazy happenings, what I've done, etc.
>>
My parents contact me everyday and if I don't reply I'll have multiple messages asking what is wrong and why haven't I messaged them. It pisses me off because they are both well travelled and would understand that it is sometimes not feasible to contact people every day.

Before I left for SEA on my last trip I said to my Dad that I might not be able to contact him when I'm in Burma and parts of Laos but he refused to believe it and kept insisting that I find a way to contact him. Pretty lame.
>>
>>940391
I'm pretty horrible at keeping contact for contacts sake.
>>
>>941495
But I'll say something if I have something to say.
>>
>>940391
I take a lot of business trips, and It's mostly a combination of Facebook and Skype for me--my parents, to whom I usually talk about weekly when I'm not traveling, can just get the FB updates. I'll either Skype or call my wife every day or every other day. I carry my US cell phone and have used it in a dozen or so countries. I also send a few texts to friends.
>>
>>940391

Calling is a pain in the ass when you're on the other side of the planet. That 1 sec delay seriously hinders having a proper conversation.
>>
>>940391
I connect with my parents while traveling, they just seem more capable than a spouse or same aged friend, to care about you checking in, you know? Plus Dad has ridiculous travel smarts as an airline exec for 30 years. I'm capable as well, but you know some squeaky wheel back home can make things happen in a jam. I've gotten some problems fixed in the past by advice or intervention he's done with a phone call.
What I do is plug in known aspects of my itinerary into my Google calendar. I slap in the hotel names, addresses, phones, and such, if known. I have all the travel bits added, times of departures, ticket numbers, etc. I put that stuff in there like appointments. You can add attachments of pdf files in there, as sort of a link to email. Parents get a printed out itinerary, with copies of my credit card and ID pictures. Or simply given my email password, so it can be accessed in case of emergency. I will call in daily if not too expensive, or every other day and instead email, at the end of adventures, if not daily. If I buy an international (turn on) texting deal, like unlimited incoming, and 250 outgoing, I'll use texts throughout the day. So, for example, if I had a mountain hike, or some sportsy thing like white water rafting, they'll get a call right at the moment I'm safely back. That requires a "oh good, you got back safely" confirmation. If it's a day of sightseeing, I might wait til bedtime to check in (depends on time zone for each). I give 3-4 sentences about something cool that happened that day, and listen to their comments or advice, or when they personally feel I should check in next (LOL). I might go 2 days without talking if it's ordinary stuff like being on a train all day and nothing more than that. Dad likes to know what equipment I fly in, and has some amazing ability to know which airline owned it last. Parents like to know room number after hotel checkin.
>>
>>941656
>That 1 sec delay seriously hinders having a proper conversation.

What are you, Spanish? Can you not let someone finish speaking, wait 1 second, and then begin yourself?

Super simple stuff.
>>
When she's not with me on a trip, I call my wife every day or so. I also generally call my parents when I arrive somewhere, and when I get home, so they don't worry.
>>
>>941656
As Louis CK said, give the signal some time, it's going to space and back!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.