[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling American!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 20

This thread is dedicated to Americans getting shit just for being American whenever they travel.
>be in Australia at a bar with a british girl I just met
>bartender has passed me up three times because people he knows are ordering drinks
>say "excuse me" and order my drink
>british girl says that was sooo rude, and very American. Calls me an asshole typical American
wut.
pic unrelated. taken in New Zealand.
I'm sure other Americans have stories about times where they were given shit just for being American
>>
American here, never gotten shit for being American. I attribute this largely to the fact that I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder or get defensive when people make a jab at the States.
>>
File: 165.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
165.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>Be in Malaysia
>meet Danish girl. "I'm surprised you're not fat. I thought all Americans were fat"

>Be in New Zealand
>British dude at the hostel shitting on America because we're Imperialist scum. Literally preaching
>don't care because he's kind of right, but fuck him
>Later on in the night get's drunk and says something insulting to this british girl I'm with.
>Dude, shut the fuck up
>"orr what mate, gunna send a drone strike! Fuckin cunt!"
goddamn
Pic unrelated. Malaysia
>>
>>937817
Really? I get it from people all the time. I don't even care about people being critical of the states because we're nearly a shit-tier country at this point, but people give me shit on the basis of being American.
>>
>Be in New Zealand.
>Meet group of Germans. It's me and a bunch of Germans sitting around. All speaking german with each other, though a few of them are trying to include me
> One of the only-German speakers asks me, "how many languages do you speak?"
>only English
>She says, "I speak 3 languages fluently. I feel like Americans are just lazy"
k thanks
>>
File: DSC00427.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00427.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>937821
>go out in Hong Kong
>Meet aussie people
>you're American? I'm surprised! You seem so nice. More like a Canadian
pic related, Hong Kong
>>
>>937820
Nope, not once. And I'm even a big blue eyed corn country white boy.
>>
File: 1385841972576.png (3KB, 184x172px) Image search: [Google]
1385841972576.png
3KB, 184x172px
>Be American
>Go on night raid close to Afghan/Pakistani border with best bros
>Smash down door of some evil doer family
>Everyone screams and throws shit at us
>Literally WTF??
>>
It's important to remember that everybody from every country gets a bit of shit when traveling. Americans, Chinese, Australians, French, Isreali, etc.

Don't take it personally and/or assume people are ganging up on you.
>>
>>937816
I hae never gotten shit for being American. I have gotten what could be considered a back-handed compliment of "you're not like other Americans" and I didn't think you were American whenI first met/saw you"
>>
File: thailand 771.jpg (4MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
thailand 771.jpg
4MB, 4320x3240px
>>937829
That's true, and a lot of the time it's just in good fun. But I swear I hear the same stupid shit from everybody, and often people want to debate with me about US foreign policy or something.

>Be in Hong Kong
> British girl finds out I'm America
>Tells me America is stupid.
>Blah blah blah, gun laws, blah blah blah, racism
>we're at a bar and she goes on like this the entire night. Literally until sun up
>I just keep agreeing with her
pic unrelated. Tokyo
>>
>>937832
Yea, I get that a lot too. And I really don't meet a ton of dumb ass Americans travelling (even though that is the stereotype). Usually, it's military guys. But that is the stereotype...
>>
>Girl asks where I'm from
>California
>Why do Americans always say the state instead of just the states like every other country.
>I dunno, that is dumb I guess.

>some time later, girl asks where I'm from
>The US
>"Uhh, I know... where in the US."
>rolls her eyes.

can't win :-(
>>
>>937829
I never get shit, and I'm from Denmark.
I think a bunch of the women from Denmark do though, since a lot of Americans (at least the ones I've met), expect Scandinavian women to have lots of armpit hair.
>>
I've never had a problem with being an American overseas. Just don't act like a dick and treat people with respect, and they'll usually do the same back.

In fact depending on how shitty the country is it seems they like Americans more. In rural China and Turkey I got a lot of people being genuinely nice to me because I was from the States.
>>
>>937835
Funny you should say that becasue I am a military guy.
>>
>>937816
I think the service is different in different countries: Bartenders, waitresses etc, don't wear glued on smiles of cheerfulness in other countries, cause they don't work for tips. It has negative and positive sides.
>>
>>937841
I had a friend who studied in France for a few years and he said once you get outside Paris or the rivirra, most people are very nice to Americans. Parisians get bent out of shape because New York is eclipsing them as the center of global fashion and arts, and locals on the Riviera are just tired of tourists in general and will only fake being nice to the very wealthy ones.
>>
File: 1418028586642.jpg (88KB, 502x720px) Image search: [Google]
1418028586642.jpg
88KB, 502x720px
>be not from America
>don't get shit from anyone
>>
>>937839

LOL came here to say this. Never gotten shit for being Danish. Most people I've met have a favorable view on Denmark where most locals outside of Northern Europe haven't heard of our country
>>
Never seen American getting screwed over due to their nationality. Actually, most Americans I've met have been really bro tier people. Easy to talk with and friendly. Can be kinda superficial, ie "OMG I LOVE YOU" after an hour, but that's mostly the women.
>>
>>937850
Whenever I'm travelling abroad in Asia, Asian people thought I was American and foreigners thought I was Germany. Asians at least have no idea of what the fuck Denmark is.
>>
>>937851
well there is at least the stereotype of the fakefriendlieness of americans with the few i met i can confirm that. kind of nice for travelingbuddies but not for a real friendship
>>
>>937854
>fakefriendlieness
This.
When I was in America I was so fucking disappointed because I'd heard everything about how nice and welcoming Americans were. When I arrived in America I was but nothing but fake smiles and fake friendliness, it was pretty horrible. Never coming back.
>>
>>937844
Tell me I'm wrong
>>
When I was in South America a cab driver kicked me out of the car one time when I told him I was American.

Other than that no one really cared. Some people would get excited when I told them I was from New York and ask about it.
>>
>>937857 Wrong about what? I was the guy you responded to, that said I've mostly been singled out for not being the stereotype
>>
>>937851

Agree with this. Nicest and most social nationality I've met. They always involve me in whatever they are doing.
>>
>>937859
wrong about US military in general being obnoxious. in general
>>
>>937858
what the hell? That sucks. Never been to South America but in Panama, everyone seemed to be uninterested in notionality
>>
>>937856
That's a shame. I think there is a lot of fakeness to our culture, but I see that in all Western culture. And come on, you think there's no "real people" in all of the United States?
>>
>>937851
I've seen screwed over on prices, butin general, even if derided in private or public, nobody fucks with us because A. Don't want to stem American tourism becasue they spend more cash than any other travelers, and B. The US Embassies are a beast and host countries don't want any problem with them. I've seen this work against Americans n some countries, where we have not been able to take advantage of corrupt cops/bribes because the cops were worried about getting ratted to the embassy. (American wasn't in trouble, but tried to bribe a cop to get a third country national outof trouble. When that didn't work, called a local friend and they sill wouldn't take the bribe. The local said had we called him first it would've been alright, but as it stood they were worried about being reported. All the cash the TCN had was still mysteriously gone her wallet by the time she was released, though)
>>
>>937863
No. The vast majority or teen to early 20s A type personality. The type of guys that might overreact when they are in the Phllipines and find out that lady is a ladyboy and drown her in the toilet. Too soon?
>>
>>937868
exacly how I felt anytime the military would pull into port. A total shitshow
>>
American here,

I have run into anti-American sentiment twice in my travels.

Once was a French guy in Malaysia who was mad at me for a legitimate reason, not because I was American, and used 'You Americans..." talk as part o the argument. The other time was from an American -- we were in Kuwait, and he didn't know jack about the culture there, thought if he bad-mouthed Americans the locals would like him better .

Never run into any legitimate ill will or ugliness because of nationality -- I suspect many people (not all) who find it went looking for it.
>>
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/15/world/asia/philippines-transgender-slaying/
>>937868
In case anyone missed the reference
>>
File: lift_cuba_embargo_by_latuff2[1].jpg (146KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
lift_cuba_embargo_by_latuff2[1].jpg
146KB, 1000x668px
I have met shitty americans in my travel, seriously, about 80% were annoying. One guy at a hostel in mexico came after doors were closed and was kicking the door and shouting shit. Then japan, for some reason, americans feel the need to talk loud in a fucking museum, holy fucking shit, another american was in the glicoman bridge throwing beer cans into the river!!! Now, that could be any of you posting here a different story:

>be in mexico
>go out partying
>come late to the hostel
>they hate americans, they close doors because they said i was an imperialist
>start kicking the door, fighting for my freedom, i paid for the room already
>they let me in because i claimed my rights

I dont have problems with americans, but so many of them have no manners, indeed, the coolest americans i have ever met were inside the US. Dont give passports to your white trash.
>>
>>937878

Murrican here, this is something many of my countrymen struggle with when travelling overseas.

The notion of a society that isn't like our Open 24hrs, Have it Your Way, The Customer is Always Right system is frustrating to people who are used to being able to get whatever they want whenever they want it by simply raising a big enough stink.

Many of them don't realize that the threat of "Fine! I'll take my business elsewhere!" doesn't carry a lot of weight in some countries. Especially ones where people learn to haggle and negotiate at an early age.

It's not a universal or uniquely American habit, but we do seem to excel at it.
>>
>In China
>Not white, don't look "American"
>People shit on Americans in front of me in English
>People shit on Americans in front of me in Chinese
>"Oh nanfanger, you don't look American!"
>>
>>937872
What was the name of this french guy? Sounds like something that happened to me and what to confirm if it could be him?
>>
>>937827
>them operator feels
>>
hmm.

people are pretty stellar to me the whole world over. people from bigger, heavily traveled cities tend to be more assholish(see: NY/Paris) and people from less traveled places tend to be nicer.

i think you guys are getting butthurt over a couple of douche comments made by assholes. it has nothing to do with being travelers or american. it has to do with an asshole being assholes. and you being little bitch getting butthurt over it.

tuck in your fucking vaginas and let it go. or if it pisses you off so much, do something about it. it's pretty pathetic passive aggressive to bitch on an imageboard about that one time in some country some girl from some other country whined about the politics or your country.
>>
Just got back from a trip with my gf. We're both white and super pale. Never had any problems with getting shit for being american, but I can definitely understand why some people would. Shit, we were even getting sick of certain americans we would see. There were so many douchebag fuckboi's travelling in the same area, being super loud and obnoxiously drunk and rude. It's like all they wanted to do was go somewhere else to party and trash that wasn't their home. After seeing so many fratbro's like that, I began to understand why we might generally get a bad rep.
>>
>>937918
>Open 24hrs, Have it Your Way, The Customer is Always Right system
>the threat of "Fine! I'll take my business elsewhere!" doesn't carry a lot of weight
This. Where I live in Australia, whenever cruise ships come in, the idea that shit closes/trading ends at around 5 or 6 rustles the young ones, and acting in a juvinile fashion in fact wont get you what you want
>"The customer is always right!"
>"M8, under Australian consumer and trade law we are allowed to refuse service on reasonable gr..."
>"I wanna talk to the manager! Get me your manager!"
>"Okay"
>le manager appears
>"Sir, under Australian Consumer and Trade laws..."
>"No! No, you're wrong buddy, in America..."
>"Sir, if you're unaware, here we are paid wages and under Consumer and Trade laws..."
>Americock leaves complaining in an overly loud fashion
>>
>>938154
I feel the same as an Australian. In south east asia they give aussies a bad name
>>
Thanks for starting this op! I've held my tongue way too many times. I'll speak out more in the future. Seems like it usually comes from Canadians and Brits.

I get it, you've met a douchy American or u don't like our politics. That doesn't give u a free ticket to trash America right in front of us. Ugh. Any stories of speaking up when someone talks shit? I think I'm gunna try some version of "two wrongs don't make a right" but in a cooler way.
>>
>>938153
Dudes right. Except for australians, fuck them people.
>>
>>938163
>in SEA
actually it's all over the world
>>
>On redeye flight from Europe to midwest
>My section is full of burly, red-faced Swedes
>In the middle of the night when everyone is asleep, two of these blond mongoloids start having a loud conversation in Swedish while standing in the middle of the aisle
>No regard whatsoever for people around them, but we are all too polite to tell them to shut up
>They get so loud the stewardess finally comes and asks them to please be quiet as people are sleeping
>They look furious but they quiet down
>but when the stewardess has turned away from, one of the Swedes says, deliberately loud enough for her to hear,
"Typical American!"
If they had been some loudmouth nationality like Italians or Moroccans I would have understood, but coming from a Swede I really can´t imagine what he meant by that.
>>
>>938211
>Moroccans
Literally the half-breed, bastard scum of Africa.
>>
>>938226

You must be Dutch.

Ever actually met a Moroccan in (or directly from) Morocco?
>>
Americans are fine outside of Mexico. When they do go overseas they travel in packs and only do tourist shit, or they're some old military/business fuck in SEA that minds his own business.
>>
>>938146
The vast majority of Americans I've met have been great, but
>China
reminded me of when I went to see the pandas near Chengdu and there were some Americans noisily complaining that their soup was late. Like, goddamn. You're in the middle of one of the most interesting, beautiful places in the world and you've just gotten to see red pandas and baby pandas and you're mad about soup. I'm not mad at them, and they may have had a legit complaint, but I was amazed at their ability to find a bad time in an amazing place. (And to do the stereotypical thing of talking louder when the person doesn't understand.)
>>
>>938163
Kek I'm Australian and when I was in Germany I felt like we'd kind've earned that. Yeah.
>>
>travel usa/new york first time
>hey, what your name?
>christian
>no, your name please
>christian. you know like, christian bale
>aaaah

Happened 5 times...
>>
>be american
>be traveling with 5 obnoxious american women (my family)
>I try to blend in and adopt local customs when I travel
>family literally announces that they are American everywhere we go and make fusses in restaurants regularly
>female cousin with us is a fucking ham beast and takes 2 seats on the buses
>people never stop staring
>hear several French people insult her
>couple of guys had a conversation about her fat
>cousin thinks they are hitting on her

All insults we received on that trip were totally justified.
>>
>>938246

Some people always find a way to complain. I have family members who complain their way though amazing stuff (including China...) I guess it's their way of having fun.

I don't like how some Americans think that being laowai makes them all ~special~ though. Drives me nuts.

>"it's ok nanfanger. you're not really American anyway."
>>
>>938246

haha btw, going to Chengdu in a week, any advice? hostels, stuff to do besides pandas? language is not really an issue for me.
>>
>someone hears my accent (born and raised in Toronto)
>asks where I'm from
>Canada
>they express relief that I'm not American
>criticize me for having a "New York Accent"
Too often
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 205x246px
>>937816
>be aussie
>all the advantages of being first world without being universally despised

feelsgoodman
>>
>>938294
>without being universally despised
Never been to SEA?
>>
>>938296
cheap airfares and giving bogans passports really fucked that up for us actually
>>
>>937817
>Instead of contributing, immediately attacks premise of thread
>>
>>938294
Your countrymen in this thread seem to disagree, but Americans love you, but will make horrible jokes about you
>>
>mfw me and my boys beat the living fuck out of septic tourists on the regular and take their photos as they bleed out on the floor.
>>
>>937821
This is something the next generation of Americans really needs to work on. I know plenty of bright people from the Anglo-sphere who only speak 1 language. These days, you really need to speak at least two, whether you run a business or want to climb up in the corporate world. But even in every day life, see how many Latinos live in America now? You want your tacos made the right way you better know how to say con todo.

Having said that, as a Canadian, the majority of Americans I met were nice decent folks. I love visiting the States. A few of your travelers are a bit naive though and don't know anything about other regions that they're visiting. And if I had to say the one terrible thing I've experienced with traveling Americans is that many compare the place they're visiting to their home city/state/region.
>>
>>937856
how'd you know it was fake and not just people being nice? Also, if it was fake, what was the purpose of it being fake? To seem nice? I don't get it...
>>
>>938149
No its normal for French to get buttrustled when Americans are around.
The only shit I've ever gotten was from a French guy in Kyrgyzstan who just wanted to grill me about George Bush's policies (this was back in 2007). Dude, I'm not the Secretary of State, ok? Jeez...

The other time was Australia. They call it banter on /int/ but fuck... some of their banter is really harsh, and how to respond as a guest in their country?
>>
>>938429
>one terrible thing I've experienced with traveling Americans is that many compare the place they're visiting to their home city/state/region.
everyone does this, I'm sorry to get defensive here, but that is by no means an american trait whatsoever. The fact that you think it's "american" to compare the place your visiting to your home country is completely asinine and your entire, otherwise good, post is basically trash after writing that last line.
>>
>>938459
Not to the point Americans do it. I've worked in a hotel here in Canada and I've heard people complain about the most mundane things because they aren't quite the same as they are in Texas or Florida...
>>
>>938473
that's probably because you get more american tourists than any other nationality, and when you do get foreigners in, they aren't complaining in a language you understand.

I have seen everyone do this, like non-stop when foreigners come to visit me, or when we travel together. It is not JUST an american thing, thats completely retarded.
>>
>>938297
>cheap airfares and giving bogans passports really fucked that up for us actually
You don't say...
>>
>>938456
>some of their banter is really harsh, and how to respond as a guest in their country?
Banter as harshly back m8 ;^)
>>
File: America.jpg (75KB, 557x429px) Image search: [Google]
America.jpg
75KB, 557x429px
>>938456
>The other time was Australia. They call it banter on /int/ but fuck... some of their banter is really harsh, and how to respond as a guest in their country?

Ignore them because they're clearly tactless bogans? Alpha up, you're American after all.
>>
>>937847
Parisians are just stuck up pretentious assholes in general, nothing to do with your own nationality
>>
>>937852
Might be the English name of your country. When I was in a language school in LA there was this metric shitton of barely English speaking Japanese students, when they'd ask me where I was from and I'd answer Belgium, they'd look at me like I had just made fun of Hiroshima and didn't know how to react. Then there's a more English capable Japanese in the group who goes "kawadesu desu BERGI" and they go all like Oooooooooooooooh Bergiiiiiiii Aaaaaaaaaah. Started giving the Bergi answer even if it sounds fucking stupid and they always understood afterwards.
>>
>>938584
I always here this about Paris, but the two times I've been there (for a sum of 22 days), I've never had a problem, and quite to the contrary, met plenty of friendly helpful people. I speak very rusty Tarzan French, but I don't even think it's that. Sure there are the elite pricks in Paris, but don't hang around them and you won't have problems.

The only 'bad' things that ever happened was one classic surly waiter who only grunted and slammed our plates down, probably just hated life in general. The other time was coming back from a night out at 3 am. Taxis just WOULD NOT stop for us (me and 3 other dudes). Only groups of girls/couples are getting anything to stop. After 20 minutes, a private car stops and the guy says he'll take us to our hostel (about 6-7km away) for 20€ all together. We're a bit drunk, tired of waiting, say OK. Finally he stops and it's not our destination (a metro stop a block from our hostel), but he tries to tell us it is, like we're stupid and don't know it's clearly not. It was still a good 2km or so, on a main street where he stopped. He just didn't want drive around backstreets or figured it was close enough and we wouldn't know anyway. I don't mind walking per se, but he did say he'd take us all the way, so we try to politely tell him so.... He's not having it and then shouts at us for the 20€ EACH 'as promised', which was not as promised. American guy in the back says 'LET'S BAIL!' and we open the doors and run. He pops out and swears at us, and the American puffs his chest, fists up, and steps up threatens to knock him out. French guy goes to his trunk to open it and look for a bar, but we just jogged off swearing back at him.

That's the 'worst' that's ever happened, and to be honest I find the story more funny and ridiculous in hindsight than anything else.
>>
>>938149
Unless it happened in Passit Gudang, it was not him.

If it did happen in Passir Gudang, what were you flying?
>>
tbh I've never had any shit at all for being american. Usually the opposite--I when I lived in LA I told people that specifically and they were stoked. I live in Vegas now and people are also stoked. Maybe that has something to do with it. Traveled all over europe, studied in italy for a brief period of time, go to china regularly for business. I think it comes down to "don't be an asshole". Most of the other americans I've met or traveled with were pretty respectful, but I think that comes down to personality: I was trying to see stuff that's a bit off the main path of european sights.

I think in any touristy area you're likely to get more assholes, and as many have mentioned american "customer first" culture will clash, but in general I more often see worse behavior from other english-speaking nationalities than fellow USians.
>>
>>938637
>I always here this about Paris, but the two times I've been there (for a sum of 22 days), I've never had a problem, and quite to the contrary, met plenty of friendly helpful people. I speak very rusty Tarzan French, but I don't even think it's that. Sure there are the elite pricks in Paris, but don't hang around them and you won't have problems.

Most people are pleasant for brief conversations with tourists. Parisians are assholes when you actually get to know them, and have a reputation among the French as being awful human beings. Are there exceptions? Of course! But there are a lot of super-snobby, rich, entitled, vain, arrogant people there who believe there's Paris, a vague thing called France, some Islands called London and New York, and then an irrelevant field of black that's everything else.
>>
>>937829
Mexicans don't get shit (unless we're at border control or in the USA) and usually we get a pretty decent reaction with people all around the world.
>>
>>937817
>>937824
You must be incredibly well-traveled within Kansas, Utah, and perhaps even Nebraska. Have you made it as far as South Dakota yet?

>be in Bangkok
>just having a beer at a beer bar
>Bamboo Bar on Sukhumvit Soi 3 if you know it
>Australian sits down next to me
>how do I know he's Australian?
>because he fuckin tells me, mate
>proceeds to talk shit about the U.S.
>tells me what a warmonger Bush is
>tells me what a nignog Obama is
>tries to pick a fight for the next half hour
>finally settles on a hooker to take to his hotel
>leaves
>
>be in Pattaya
>watching a ummm floor show
>Australian sits down next to me
>asks me where I'm from
>I tell him Chicago
>"Oi, you lot just elected a coon!"
>wut
>"You know, a NIGGER!"
>oh, he really did mean that
>buy him a beer

Australians, not even once.
>>
>>939069
With a charming attitude like that, I can't believe people aren't nice to you wherever you go.
>>
>Go to bar in cheap hostel
>Meet drunken backpackers
>Drunken backpackers talk shit
>They_hate_us_for_our_freedoms.jpg
>>
>>939079
>charming attitude like that
Like what? I'm just the one sitting quietly with a beer, observing the show.
>>
First time /trv/ lurker here.
Are americans always this rational and friendly on this board? I guess I've spent to much time on /int/.
>>
>>937821
It's true tough lol
Americans only speak english no matter what
Lazy coonts
>>
Never really gotten shit but this happens a lot

>Where are you from
>Im from NY
>I love NYC, where in nyc downtown uptown manhattan bronx brooklyn?
>... I am from upstate
>oh....

Any and all interest they had is all gone lol haha
>>
>>937856
Then again, Americans do have a special way of expressing friendliness. It all seems very over the top, but I don't think it makes it fake.
When I first met thisgroup of American girls I though they made fun of me until I realized they just talk like that, with BIG GESTURES and OOOH MAH GOD YOU'RE SO RIGHT I COM-PL-ETE-LY AGREE WITH YOU OH GAWD.
I think it's just how american girls act normally. I could be wrong tough and they actually made fun of me lol
>>
>>939110
>OOOH MAH GOD YOU'RE SO RIGHT I COM-PL-ETE-LY AGREE WITH YOU OH GAWD.
Bimbo's make muh dick herd...
>>
>>939105
Except when the subject is sex tourism or traveling ton party or otherwise not being a Real Traveler(tm)
>>
>>938289
Sorry m9, I wasn't there long enough to be able to tell you. Just walking around was really good though.
>>
>>939105

Aside from the ever-increasing number of trolls, /trv/ tends to be one of the more friendly and helpful boards on 4chan. I remember being very surprised at seeing stupid posts up until maybe a year ago. We're getting some idiots coming over now (hur poorfags staying in hostels hur hur), but those of us who actually travel or are genuinely interested in traveling tend to be alright.

Anyway...:

> be in Turkey
> made friends with some people in my hostel
> sitting around and pre-drinking
> a pack of French guys comes in, asks if they can join us
> sure
> French dudes start drinking, start getting loud and obnoxious
> one guy is sexually harassing this Indian chick, starts yelling at him after he tries flirting by calling her a "slut"
> other French dude starts giving me shit for being American
> tells me I probably don't know where Syria is
> proceeds to quiz me on current affairs and gets quiet when I can quickly respond to his stupid questions
> LeSurrender.jpeg
> "oh ho ho, you are zee only American I have ever met I haz reespekt fo'! Oh-ho-ho!"

Fucking prick. I've traveled a lot and he's the only guy who really stands out when it comes to people actively giving me shit for being American. The French in general tend to be a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to young travelers. I know I shouldn't generalize, but they all seem to be either bro-tier and cool or fucking obnoxious and rude. Most Americans I've met abroad have, in fact, been well-traveled and all-around decent people.
>>
>>937856
Depends what part of America you go to. Down south, there's a lot of phony friendliness in the midwest area. Down south, it gets more genuine (as long as you're white).

I'm from New England, where people are still very Puritan in their mannerisms. People keep to themselves, but still respect you, and only express friendship if they actually like you. I've lived in the same neighborhood for almost my whole life, and I don't even know some of my neighbors on a first-name basis. Some I don't think I've even ever talked to.
>>
File: something like this.gif (2MB, 280x277px) Image search: [Google]
something like this.gif
2MB, 280x277px
this thread amuses me.
i'm an american in my late 20s. last summer, i rolled into my hostel in bangkok a little after 2am and found some drunk college kids chatting in the common room. i grabbed a beer and joined them, and got to talking with a polish chick. suddenly this british indian guy who had passed out drunk on the couch wakes up and tries to force himself into the conversation, expressing disbelief at the polish chick after he overhears her talking about her native language.
"woah," he says. "don't you all just speak german anyway, after getting invaded and shit?"
needless to say the polish chick lost her shit and chewed him out. my favorite line out of her:
"and shame on you! i'd expect that from the american over here (pointing to me) but not somebody who lives on the same continent!"
i wasn't at all offended, i was laughing so hard. i even agreed with her. "it's true, an american would say that!"
don't know what ever happened to that scrawny little british indian kid. probably got pegged by a ladyboy.
>>
>>938575
>Alpha up, you're an American
do you not understand the theme of this thread or something? If I had "alpha'd" up and "been an American", I would get even more shit, or start more shit for the next traveler to come through. No, Australians are militant anti-americans, more so than any other nationality I've encountered. There is nothing I can do to stop that, only hope that by remaining tactful and respectful I can try to temper it.
>>
>>939097
that poster was probably australian.
they're wondering why you're being so cold to racists, like its totally normal. and if you're not a raging racist, YOU'RE the problem.
>>
>>939189
Is it actually like that in Australia. Like I heard they were culturally about 30 years in the past relative to Canada/US/UK but do they all really act like that 19th century "national-tribal" mentality? Like northern Irish only not as white?
>>
>>939202
Depends on where you go in Australia. Melbourne, Sydney, and Canberra are supposed to be decent, but go west or north to Queensland and it's racism as far as the eye can see.
>>
Americans are awesome and super fun to drink with, nothing but good things to say about Americans when traveling around SEA.

Aussies are the worst.
>>
>>939242
Australians treat SEA like Americans treat Mexico; it's a place that the lower classes go for a cheap taste of the exotic, to drink as much as they can and fuck anything with a pulse. If you meet Australians in Europe they're slightly more civilized because they are pretending to be "finding themselves".
>>
>>939160

I've never really hit it off with French people. All I've met have been so terrible at English that having a basic conversation was a struggle
>>
Americans sometimes trigger this behaviour by acting super arrogant and demanding in countries like France were the culture is just completely different. France is very socialist (workers have a lot rights) and you should not treat them like you maybe are used to be back in the states. But don't worry Americans, the Russians are already far ahead in being the most annoying people ever to have set a foot outside of their own country. Compared to a russian tourist making a visit to Europe the Americans, Brits and Aussies (even on alcohol) are civilized and humble people.
>>
>>939377

Thank god the ruble is so shit right now that they cant afford to leave their own country
>>
>>937850
>>937839
>>937839

That's because they don't know about your evil prime minister, Birgitte Nyborg.
>>
>>937816
By carrying a canadian passport and speaking french.
>based dual citizenship from my dad
>language lessons from an early age
>a healthy love for maple syrup
I haven't been caught yet
>>
>>939384

BUllshit. Go to Phuket or Pattaya. They are jsut pouring into SEA. I can understand the legit resorts in Phuket, I've seen Americans there as well, but who the hell goes to Pattaya on family vacation?
>>
>>938586
>BERGI
>>937852
you gotta listen to this m8

https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/%E3%83%99%E3%83%AB%E3%82%AE%E3%83%BC

Listen the pronunciation.
>>
>>939377

> countries like France were the culture is just completely different
> France
> completely different culture

Kek.

>>939257

I've made a handful of French friends across the world. One girl opened her house to me in Paris (although I skipped out in favor of visiting a German friend instead) when I was thinking about passing through. We met up in Chicago a while back, too, since I live nearby. Other than them, I can only think of a few scattered Frenchies here and there I've enjoyed being around. Met a cool group in India and another in Georgia, but that's about it, so far as my memory goes.

I hate to generalize travelers, but the French I run across tend to be obnoxious and do shit like make phone calls at 3am in hostel dorms, turn on lights, etc, etc.
>>
>>939399
same here bro

Latino with dual usa-canadian citizenship (no i wasn't illegal ever, took us 12 fucking years but i got both) Most people don't shit talk me when i say im from miami. they usually think its "cool" and ask why i left blah blah blah, usually i just say im from canada to avoid the whole "omg americuns r so dum lol r y u from there?" which i do still get especially if im at a bar. 80% of the time they don't say shit because htey probably think ill get mad or something lol . im mad chill doe

When i travel i take my canadian passport instead , just to avoid the whole conversation (nobody cares about canada and never has anythign else to say)
>>
>>939416
youre a faggot.
ashamed of being american? reported to the state department.
grows some balls and use your mad chill attitude to win USA some friends for a change instead of being a little beta cuck canadian
>>
>>939039
But some of these encounters were more than just brief conversations. Some ended up being chatting (and drinking) the night away, or meeting up the next day and so on. There are assholes anywhere you go, including quaint little French villages in the countryside.

>>939109
I have met quite a few people who think NYC is a city-state (within the USA). That there is more to New York than its largest city is something many non-Americans have never even heard of before. Though let's be honest though, Buffalo, Rochester... they're all shitholes.
>>
>>939202
Some people just can't handle the bantz
>>
>>939421
i do, i say im american whenver anyone asks here in canada, thye usually spout off the generic 'murica stuff and i say stuff counter to it , and the conversation always ends in "well americas goverment is bad , not its people" every fucking time

It seems like a waste of breath to repeat these conversations overseas

Also i like america but if they hadn't taken advantage of south and central americans and helped our corrupt leaders fuck our resource rich continents up , and allowed us to develop similarily how sk is finally developing i and every other latino person in N.A. never would have left the motherland.

That being said , it's our fault too for giving in and allowing ourselves to be corrupted.

The world is bleak my friend. i hope one day we gain more independence
>>
>euros getting mad at muricans for imperialism

Does anyone else see the irony in this?
>>
I went to mexico when I was 14 years old because I had some family living out there.

I got a lot of shit for being a spoiled brat since a lot of these kids grew up in shitty mud made houses and I got to live in a wooden house by american standards. Also I had a playstation 2 while those fags only had a ps1.

WEll, to make a long story short I got so fed up of being shit talked for being american that I got into a fight with the local mexican kids who were shit talking me. I got punched in the gut so hard that I fell to the ground knocked out. Then the next day I find out that the dad of the kid who punched me gave his kid 10 lashes with a whip and tied him to a tree for the entire evening.

I've stopped visiting that part of mexico though because the Zetas took over most of the government there. But after that day the kid would just look at me with empty eyes and avoided me all together on my 2nd visit.
>>
>>939189
But I was fine with it, that's why I bought him a beer. The first guy just wanted a fight, though. I guess he wanted to show the hookers in the bar how tough he was, like anything matters besides the contents of his wallet.
>>
>>939405
More like Bedugi then ? Close enough, it was 3 years ago
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 396x601px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 396x601px
>>938294
>not being universally despised
>>
>>937878
I've worked in hospitality for over 15 years. When I worked in North Carolina we would always have people come in a want to order pizza at 2am. and then complain that in New York and New Jersey you can always get pizza at 2am. Later move to New Jersey and find out they are completely full of shit and its a weird bullying tactic that often works.

As an american, even as a child I never understood why you need to be quiet in a museum. Its not like its a funeral. I really don't get it. Museums get crowed as shit. Its not church its just art.
>>
>>940123
>I've worked in hospitality for over 15 years. When I worked in North Carolina we would always have people come in a want to order pizza at 2am. and then complain that in New York and New Jersey you can always get pizza at 2am. Later move to New Jersey and find out they are completely full of shit and its a weird bullying tactic that often works.

Yankees who come to the South are truly scum.
>>
File: 1319611651953.jpg (56KB, 446x500px) Image search: [Google]
1319611651953.jpg
56KB, 446x500px
>>939504
It's true, locals all over the place love Aussies.
>>
>>938197
Why shouldn't someone be allowed to trash america right in front of you? If you think what they're saying is incorrect then speak up.
>>
>>938477
I think it's the manner in which they do it, I've had americans make comparisons with where they come from (which is fine, like you said everyone does it) but in a very patronising fashion which suggests that the way things are back home are THE correct way.
>>
>>938456
Gotta give as good as you get mate most aussies will respect that, especially in a drinking setting; the bants is a big part of aussie pub culture.
>>
>>940131
Yeah as an Aussie it is sometimes confusing when foreigners get upset over jokes. Some Frenchies are probably the worst, sensitive little dears they are... Anyway I've learned only to "banter" with British and Irish and the small percentage of Americans who get it.
>>
>>939435
holy shit bro
>>
>people saying "super" all the time

fuck off
>>
>>937837
"Because each of our states is probably larger than your country."

There, that wasn't so hard now was it
>>
>>937818
The only appropriate answer to that question is "Hell yes I will, fucker."
>>
>>938197
The political stuff that gets said to US folks abroad is hilarious. They think we're all George Bush. The funny part is when you just play into and go, yea, Iraq needed more democracy, hence the drones. They go fucking ballistic.
>>
>>939399
>>939416
Pussies.
>>
>>940175
>The funny part is when you just play into and go, yea, Iraq needed more democracy, hence the drones.
I always find them fucking disgusting. Saddam Hussein murdered at least four of my family members. I'm glad the U.S. executed the fucker. What came next is 99.99% the fault of the goat-fucking scum who couldn't handle life without a dictator shackling them.
>>
>>939399
this made me laugh pretty hard. keep on keeping on you impostor.
>>
>>940125
Cary, NC. Containment Area for Relocated Yankees, NC
>>
>>940123
I think it's a "cosmopolitan" thing. I live in Nashville, and when I'm out I hear people complain about the lack of "late-night options." Nashville metro has 1.7M people in it. You can find all sorts of food late at night, but not their preferred thai-french-mexican fusion cuisine like "back in NY." It's a glorified way of calling the natives yokels.
>>
>>937918
Heh, I kinda recognize that attitude from some customers who called in while I worked support for one of swedens larger ISPs. Not americans, but with that attitude.

"If you don't do X, I'll take my business elsewhere/I'll change ISPs".

And the answer from us was always "You do that, you're free to do whatever you want. We'll do whatever that's in our power to help you, but what we can't do, we can't do.".

I'd say that the customer is rarely right in anything.
>>
>>940189
Yea people exhibit a lot of black and white thinking about the whole US in the middle east situation. Like it was completely and totally morally wrong for the US to invade. I don't think we should have done it, because it wasn't necessarily our problem to deal with, but there were some brutal regimes over there that we toppled. It was/is a messy affair, definitely, but maybe in 25 years it will have been a benefit to those people. Maybe not.
>>
The americans I've encountered while travelling (not that many) have all been friendly.

But as a semi-introvert scandinavian, they usually come off as too friendly. The level of friendliness and directness I got was something that I almost don't even have with my closest friends. And NEVER with someone I just met.

It's so salesmen-like. Shallow in some way, which for me is somewhat off-putting. But probably just a cultural thing.
>>
>>940201
yea, i know what you mean, but it's just the culture. not all americans are like that either. i bet you would have fun with italians.
>>
>>939189
> 2014+1
> not being a raging racist
step it up, m7.
>>
>>940200
It's hypocritical as there are brutal regimes that we support there as well. There were no moralistic reasons for our invading, it was to protect US interests
>>
>>940129
See: Recent implosion of Target in Canada.

All the commentary trickling out from Canadian insiders says pretty much that. Apart from sloppy and over-eager supply chain problems and lack of competitive prices, they say the bigger problem was that American execs were parachuted in to control everything, and made the classic error of assuming they could just run things identical to the US. They operated under the belief that there were no differences, and where there were, it was because local staff/shoppers were doing things wrong and everyone was to power through as a corrective example, ignoring advice of local junior managers, market research and so on.

I mean, it's such a tired cliché, and part of you wants to shrug it off and hope it's not true... and yet...
>>
>>940169
A Brit moaning about imperialism... oh the irony.
>>
>>938251
Christian isn't an unknown name, you probably just met some idiots, or they were havin' a laugh.
>>
>>940200
What a lot of people outside the US realize (their media has no reason to lie to them, at least about this particular issue) is that it was the US who helped put these thugs in power in the first place.

In theory, Baathists should be the good guys. Secularist and modernizing. Except for cold war reasons, they were allowed to treat their own countries like personal torture dungeons for too long. That only increased the nihilism and made it so that the only real light at the end of the tunnel was joining the allah snackbar derkas derkas.

As the other anon said, brutality of a regime has nothing to do with it, as plenty of other brutal regimes are supported (and historically has been). That's the drawback of power games. It's not hard to see how people believe Americans are either two-faced double-speaking liars, or incredibly stupid.
>>
>>937816

In my experience it's usually Britbongs who are the most viciously anti-American.

>be in Berlin
>all my German friends know I have guns in America
>think its unsafe but generally respect my rights and understand why its a thing in America
>britbong overhears I have guns
>u wot m8?
>subjected to 45 min rant against American gun laws which later turns into a rant against the CIA torture report and then just decsends to vitriol against American character
>kraut buddy who owns the bar tells him to leave
>lol he can't understand why because everyone is supposed to hate americans

Me getting into unsolicited arguments with bongs over American foreign policy literally happened everytime I talked to one.
>>
>>940329
>Me getting into unsolicited arguments with bongs over American foreign policy literally happened everytime I talked to one.

You must be a colossal dick then.
>>
>>937818
You should have kicked his scrawny little ass
>>
>>940127
Australians like to think this but thats not true at all. I went to Split and talked to the locals there and they hate australians there. They would get drunk and make a mess of the place and start fighting locals. And the thais only tolerate them because of their grinding poverty. Infact at hostel I was in refused anyone with australian passports from staying. They are essentially americans in a way.
>>
>>939202
Yeah there is truth to some extent. There is actually a book thatt explains this called fairness and freedom by david hackett fischer. Esentially australia was colonialised by northern english/irish/scots whose society was typified by tribalism, violence, distrust of authourity and clanism. In contrast to NZ which was settled by people of southern england who had a stronger tradition of social cohesiveness and forms of consensus decision making in the way they governed themselves. You can think of it in terms of analog between nz being a bit like new england with their town meetings etc, and australia like west virginia with its feral bogans.
>>
>>940455
Jeez, try getting outside of tourist traps for once in your life. I avoid the shitty party locations and hang out with normal people, and I've never had a single negative reaction to being Australian. It is great in the Middle East because people will be guarded thinking I'm American, but as soon as they find out I'm Aussie they are suddenly my best friend.
>>
>>940463
Dude stop being in denial. I am sure the vast majority of australians are great travellers, but there is definitely a reputation out there by some australians that tarnish the rest. just get over yourself like the americans in this thread.
>>
>>940200
>implying that we didn't support more brutal regimes and aggressive foreign policy initiative because of geopolitical and corporate interests rather than nobleness.
>Augusto Pinochet in Chile.
>the Shah in Iran
>the contra counterinsurgency in Nicaragua.
>the party of the U in Colombia.
>Suharto in Indonesia
>The Gulf Arab Monarchs
>The overthrow of the democratically elected Jean-Betrand Astride in Haiti.

and these are the ones I can name of the top of my head.
>>
>>940473
>let me tell you what it is like being you

Nobody is universally liked, obviously. But I've travelled in over 60 countries so I have a pretty fair idea of how we are seen around the world.
>>
>>940477

>the shah of iran

at the behest of british petroleum
learn to history nigga nog
>>
>>938158
Aus here, that religious closing at 5 shit rustles my Jonathons. I want there to be a 24/7 culture in Australia.
>>
>>938158

>shit closes at 5

no wonder down under is third tier
>>
>>938290

doubtful that happens. but what dies happen is a backwater toronto people are always trying to act like its a canadian new york city.
>>
>>940308

bulshit. no you 'skated' over the truth to find the anti-american reason not the reality, which is the mind-boggling supply problems thrown back up at the so-called border of canada despite nafta agreements. target stores in the usa are well supplied and doing fine. target is based out of minneapolis, so even your claim that there are cultural differences is minimal at best, its not like target hq is even dallas or honolulu for fuksake its based out of a practically identically canada-like region.
>>
>>940488
>this britbong thinking he was a relevant imperial power.
>trying to imply he has even read what mainstream consensus history was or even read primary declassified internal diplomatic records of the coup.

Everyone knows that Anthony Eden wanted to but couldn't have acted unilaterly on overthrowing Mossadeq. The fact that US's interest were coincidental to UK interests, was such that it allowed them to claim this as pretext (i.e. safeguarding of BP oil). What they (the US) were worried was the geopolitical implications that the cadence of self determinism and nationalist feeling were to have in the Arab region should Iran be allowed to nationalize their oil. British interests were secondary to these motivations and a junior partner to the coup.

If you want to bother yourself with the facts, here are the primary resources of the internal correspondances within the CIA you can factcheck.
http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB435/
>>
>>940458
Sounds like a load of BS cooked up by some Southron kiwi wanna-be. Australia is just a lot larger, meaning it's easier for its idiots to wander out of civil society and go feral. But if you think NZ doesn't have its version of bogans, you have obviously never been there.

While back living in Europe, I worked in a place that hired lots of foreigners (mostly english speakers but not only). In particular, two guys from NZ worked there. Biggest pothead losers I've ever met. Both were mid-30s, had been working there years for slightly more than minimum wage, but had no intention of any other betterment, they made enough to buy pot (over the Dutch border), and that's basically all they did. Pot's fine now and then, don't get me wrong, but these guys just had no goals, and really weren't much better than bogans, maybe just more laid back. Two Australians working there were pretty professional and mature, although I have had my share of bogan experiences elsewhere too...
>>
>>940493
This doesn't happen. Only the lowest of low plebs who have never travelled believe anything like this, but IME it's pretty rare, despite the cliché.

>>940495
>its not like target hq is even dallas or honolulu for fuksake its based out of a practically identically canada-like region.
lel. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Are you a Target manager? You sound like one. Despite the notion that Minnesota is just a Canada Jr., they're actually pretty different and distinctly American. In general, Canada is the least 'exotic' compared to America, but there are still key differences in management styles, worker expectations and behaviour, and shopper behaviour. Canadians shoppers aren't American shoppers, simple as that, and the American execs parachuted in could not acknowledge this. Combined with appalling supply issues, Target was doomed from the start. Successful American chains (eg. Wal-Mart, it pains me to say) tend to let local managers do their thing with minimal interference. This is Canadian business expansion 101.

Supply chain issues WERE a huge a problem, Target tried to expand way too fast. 130 stores were opened at once while their warehouses weren't even complete and in some cases not strategically located. They didn't have cargo tracking, so a store had no idea what was at the nearest warehouse, and no idea what would be coming in on the trucks next day. If they had just focussed on a dozen or so key (urban) areas first to jump-start operations with a slow roll out, they'd have managed better.

Canadian expansions are supposed to be easy mode, but the fact they still fucked it up only proves blind arrogance.
>>
>>940192
They've broken out and are not-so-slowly turning the Triangle into NoVA. They move like locusts. Took over MD, then VA, working on NC. SC and GA you're next once they are done picking NC clean.
>>
>>940484
I've had the same experience being an American, but that doesn't make me ignorant to how American travelers are generally viewed. I iwll say the view is typically in tourist places, though. If you're off the beaten path, even in a tourist center, they seem to love Americans, maybe travelers/visitors in general.
>>
>>940314
Except that the U.S. was not Saddam's support fuccboi, Saddam was a Soviet Union client state. That's why he had all those MiGs buried in the desert, dumbass.

>>940329
>it's usually Britbongs who are the most viciously anti-American.
Well of course. They still can't get over the fact that we kicked their asses in the late 1700s, and then saved their asses in World War Two.

>If it weren't for us, you'd all be speaking German
>>
For everyone saying how Brits shit talk the most, I can easily see this being the case.

I work in south Alabama, and we had this British client come in to our office one day on business. While in the break room he has the balls to critique our gun control laws in SOUTHERN ALABAMA, I was amazed.

Of course he said it in the snobbiest way possible, something like "I just don't see the point of it to be honest" while making his damn earl grey.
>>
The fact that an American foreign policy discussion broke out in is thread is ironic. You fuckers complain that foreigners keep bringing it up to you but can't stop from talking about it yourselves.
>>
>>938429
>you really need to speak at least two
dumbest shit ive ever read on this board. even people who travel frequently do not need to know more than one language.
>>
I have come into this thread to represent my fellow britbongs and announce that M8, YUR PAVEMENTS ARE TOO DAMN WIDE.

Also, your tv has too many adverts and those pill adverts are fucking ridiculous. Tom Dick and Harry are not in a position to self prescribe.

Butter fingers are fucking delicious and uh, snowballs? OH and junior mints. American food is wonderful comfort food even if you people cant into cheese.

Baseball games are nice. I liked to go sit in one with a book and watch the game

You people really like your pools huh?

I met lots of really nice friendly Americans and plenty of absolute shitheads but oddly enough you were all this same sort of kinda tense, smiley, pleasant, THING. It was kinda weird.

I don't like lots of things about America. But i don't like lots of thing about the Britain. It would be absurd of me to attack your country like so many do when mine has such dramatic problems of its own (you imperialistic wankas)

New York is a shithole, California is nice, Salt Lake gave me nightmares, Detroit felt like Northampton made into a city, Las Vegas was there, Washington was quite pleasant.

21 to drink 16 to drive? Are you people out of your god damn minds?

I get that America doesn't really have a cultural history to call its own, but for gods sake, you are american. You ARE NOT, a quarter German a 10th Irish a 5th french and a 76th Indian. You are just American.

That is about it. I feel like i should do the stereotypical "lol guns, lol death penalty, lol CIA, lol letting your poor die on the street" but... eh. fuck it. Every country has some stuff everyone else thinks is terrible. The only reason people focus in on america is "AMERICA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD" which is obviously bullshit but the only people i have seen spout that are a very vocal minority. Most even slightly intelligent or traveled people i have met are quite embarrassed about the whole thing, i prefer not to measure a country by its dullest citizens.
>>
>>937816
>>say "excuse me" and order my drink
>>british girl says that was sooo rude, and very American. Calls me an asshole typical American
Hrm, don't know what to say about the labelled American part, but bartenders can be dicks anywhere, in anyplace, at any time. You can decide if you want to give them your business or tip poorly or whatevs. I wouldn't have given an order unless asked, however. Once you make eye contact, and you know that they know you have been seen, you are supposed to assume you are in their mind "in line" in whatever priority order they have going on at the time. Sometimes being patient, and having a bit of time with a bartender after they get the refills done is the best. To each their own.

I've never actively been given the American brushoff (that I know of) while traveling except by taxi's which might be eyeing instead for locals or native speakers, I presume, but you usually get a car anyway. The worst service I've had is from latinos in Miami who assumed I probably only spoke English, or maybe even that I looked German, (because I've had waiters tell me that in the past, when I surprisingly spoke Spanish to them). You can walk into a Don Pan in Miami and literally get ignored when ordering a coffee, at any location. I've tested this out. You can, however, encounter the complete opposite at most other spanish-themed restaurants or bakeries. Depends on the staff, you know?

I've been in a Russian club, where service was efficient but cold and unfriendly. In my opinion, the world over, tipped staff behave the best. But, you can go into /ck and hear so many (foreign) people claim the opposite to be true. Cheap kids will always chime in, well, just because they are cheap and not tipping is a way of life for the cheap. It will get so bad, just the mention of tipping can instantly create a troll thread.
>>
Don't be an ass and people shouldn't mess with you.

If a foreigner starts trashing you, just simply point out how horrible they are for sitting there and belittling you because of things your Politicians do.

> Or you can bring up some problems their country has
>>
>>940626
The US was tripping over itself to support Saddam (more like ignore his internal shenanigans) once war with Iran was on. Iraq also had British and French jets. Americans only sold their goodies to the most trustworthy allies, you wouldn't want some Russian or Chinese tinkerers trying to back engineer anything.

>If it weren't for us, you'd all be speaking German
I'm already German. :)

Ironic to see your cliché tone in a thread about IRL shitposting...
>>
>>940762
Can't tell if troll bait or not.

>I get that America doesn't really have a cultural history to call its own
Looks like you got it completely wrong.

>You ARE NOT, a quarter German a 10th Irish a 5th french and a 76th Indian. You are just American.
>I visited once, so let ME tell YOU how your national identity works!
People are American, and also quarter German a 10th Irish a 5th french and a 76th Indian. It is not mutually exclusive. The average American will have a far better idea of who his great-grandparents (and further back too) are than any Euro or Brit I've met. It's not just empty distant nationalism either (it's not that at all really), but all these 'heritages' often come with family stories and legends.

> prefer not to measure a country by its dullest citizens.
I will extend you the same mercy, m8.
>>
>>940626
Dude the US was Saddams support. Don't you know the history of the Iran-Iraq war? A lot of Iraqi soldiers trained in Fort Bragg, and you had the Bear Spares program orchestrated by the US to ship Soviet weapon parts to the Iraq as well as funding from the State Department through an Atlanta branch of Banca Nazionale del Lavoro to Iraq in order for them to buy arms . Only after Saddam got arrogant and went after Kuwait did US attitudes change. Also how else did you think he got those chemical weapons to gas the kurds with?
>>
>>940809
lol u mad. I guess you never had the misfortune of being in Ireland and dealing with American tourists who try to connect with you on the basis of the same last name. They even have a term for it (plastic paddies).

The guy you were debating is right though. It is annoying when Americans do this and try to stress some tenous part of their lineage as intrinsic to their identity when at the same time they know next to nothing of the culture there or even the language. Cultural identity is not something you selectively choose to craft/cultivate. Identity is a product of the context you grow up im. Yes heritage/lineage is important but probably in a distant indirect way. Unless you actively live that culture then you shouldn't claim it as your own. What's your heritage btw?
>>
>>940809
You kinda missed the point of everything you picked out. America doesn't have an extensive cultural history, as a culture its incredibly young and what it does have is almost entirely a collection of assorted bits and bobs from the nations that colonized it. The national identity of america is still in its youth and that's one of the more common justifications (at least that i have heard) for why Americans choose to represent themselves with their ancestors culture rather than their own culture. Because america doesn't really have much of one.
>>
>>940899
>next to nothing of the culture there or even the language. Cultural identity is not something you selectively choose to craft/cultivate. Identity is a product of the context you grow up im. Yes heritage/lineage is important but probably in a distant indirect way. Unless you actively live that culture then you shouldn't claim it as your own.
ROFLNO
>>
>>940902
What's wrong with the argument then?
>>
File: 1414930162194.gif (2MB, 320x454px) Image search: [Google]
1414930162194.gif
2MB, 320x454px
>>937816
be American
be in Japan
go to a bar
"you, America?"
calmly state "nyet"
>mfw actually American
>>
>>940901
>America doesn't have an extensive cultural history
Yea, cause the 1600s and older is what everyone else identifies with.

The reason Americans tend to discuss their culture at all, is that the vast majority aren't within the US more than 1 generation or 2. And, when discussed, it has to do with a skin color or look people are attempting to figure out where exactly that spanish originates, or why you look multiracial (or that you wish you can explain that you aren't all one race at all).

Americans that date back to the American revolution or from Acadia, or from a certain native tribe? Minority and becoming less and less relevant. What matters now is if you are Venezuelan or Argentinean, and if you are, if the ancestors before that have some european descent of Spain or Italy as well. Spain hands out passports like candy to anyone who can barely prove ancestry. This is what every wannabe American uses on their way to the US. So, you see, it's not that Americans don't have culture. It's just something kind of like gaydar, people just trying to figure if their guesses are correct when looking at you. If you don't think immigrants from the Americas and Caribbean don't have a slave-trade vs european chip on their shoulders, you don't understand futbol rivalries either.
>>
>>940912
i can't understand what you are saying. like this post is so badly written i cant read it.
>>
File: Chandler.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Chandler.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
>>940809
>claims to be part german/french/whatever.
>can only speak english.

could you be anymore american?
>>
>>940913
Sounds like you have a personal problem either with reading comprehension, or just having someone disagree with you. I'm sure it's the latter.
>>
>>940918
No. I genuinely can't read what is written. I don't even know what is being argued to even be mad about.
>>
>>940918
You use commas all over the place and your last paragraph is atrocious with its line breaks. Its like you are writing as if you were speaking. I don't have any problems with reading comprehension. I actually have written a thesis so, I can say I am confident.
>>
>>940918
I also have no idea what the point of the post was.
>>
>>940912
Regardless of whether it's valid to do so or not it's irritating and boring when americans claim to be [insert european nationality here], especially to someone actually from that place. This happens a lot.

On the other hand it is funny seeing americans turn up to a ceilidh with a kilt on back to front.
>>
>>940901
The NE, which is th emost affluent and most exposed part of America, ironically, has no heritage. At least none that they claim. These are the ones, with a side of Chicago, that promote their hyphenated ancestry. What makes it worse is that this area (Bos-Wash) contains most of the American identity and history. But the south, midwest, southwest, and west coast all have distinct cultures they promote. I'm actually not sure about the Great Lakes states, Milwaukeeand the rest may fall in line with the North East USA,
>>
>>940951
Are you saying Boston doesn't have a distinct culture?
>>
>>940953
I'm saying it all does. But Boston is the perfect example. Rather than identify as a Bostonian (outside of sports or if they're a Southern transplant, and thus realize they had a different cultrue), they will say they are Irish -American. At least the more affluent ones. Poor people can't think past their neighborhood, so they'll say they are a townie or whatever part of Boston they are from.
>>
>>940134
>Anyway I've learned only to "banter" with British and Irish and the small percentage of Americans who get it.
>be on tour in England
>Tour guide listing nationalities and making polite comments about them
>"Ah yes, Bordeaux is beautiful. Now, anyone from America here?"
>"'Murica, yeah, woop woop!"
>"Ah very good. Now any Australians?"
>"'Straya, yeah-nah m8!"
>"Ah, Welcome home."
the anglo bants
>>
>>940916
Do you understand what a ethnicity/race is?
>>
>>940514
>I have had my share of bogan experiences elsewhere too...
Do tell...
>>
>>940762
Dear Sir,
I kek'd heartily. Please review Australia next.
Regards,
Anon.
>>
File: 1322221118036.jpg (110KB, 1010x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1322221118036.jpg
110KB, 1010x1036px
>>940973
dude what
>>
>>940974
Do you understand that culture and not ethnicity/race is commensurate to identity? I am going to define myself as a Norman/Jute/Saxon/Occitan because thats my ethnicity
>>
>>940992
In the USA race is culture
>>
>>940899
>>940901
I know all about 'plastic paddies', but thanks for your entry level /int/ shitposting anyway.

I would argue (from my direct experience) that most modern Irish, for example, know nothing of the culture (in some cases language too) of their great-grandparents anyway. Culture is not static, nor is is 'owned' by people.

Further, claiming 'hurr durr country XYZ has no culture' is the stupidest thing ever. It's like saying (most of) Greenland has no ground because it's all ice sheets and not dirt.

>>940916
I'm actually Canadian, but it's the same story here (and Australia, NZ, and other heavily colonized countries). And I do speak German, actually. :) Along with some French, Swedish and Spanish. How many languages do you speak?

When people say 'I'm half-German, half-Portuguese' or whatever, they do not generally mean they are passport-holding citizens of the country (though sometimes they are), but have an ethnic background from there. No country 'owns' its ethnonym, and in any case it is clear you do not understand 'settler society' identity politics. Deal with it.

Also, language ≠ nationality.

>>940946
As I just said, it's not about claiming to be a passport-carrying member of that country. It is generally not meant in the way you think it is meant.

>>940951
*facepalm* Look up the word normative.
>has no heritage
Is both impossible and false.

>>940992
You're wrong again. Sometimes identity is 'commensurate' with ethnicity/race, sometimes with culture, and also sometimes with language, or (state-)nationality, or religion, or profession, or caste, or subculture. Trying to pin down what is a shifting nebulous thing is a fool's errand.
>>
File: 20131225_215525.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20131225_215525.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>940128
This just sounds dumb. "Why shouldn't I be an asshole? durka durka durr." In a shared space like a hostel people are paying money to have a good time and not debate politics that they have nothing to do with.
>>
File: 20140206_080335.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140206_080335.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>940390
You would think that. It makes sense when someone tells a story like that, they must have done something to deserve it right? nope. People just here "America" and go off. it's not fun, and we don't need to say one mean to set it off.
>>
>>940980
>the bants
>>
>>593972983
A lot of Americans are so fucking patriotic and get offended so easily. The rest of the world has a right to hate you.

Just deal with the friendly banter better and you will be respected more.
>>
>>940918
I agree with the other three anons who all have no fucking clue what you're going on about. Spain? Gaydar? Slavery? Futbol? Were you extraordinarily stoned when you wrote that, or are you some sort of academician who has trained his mind so highly as to be incomprehensible to anyone not of your level?
>>
>>940897
You're extraordinarily stupid. Yes, I know the history of the Iran-Iraq War.

Saddam didn't get chemical weapons from the U.S.; we arm countries with all sorts of stuff, but not WMDs. Saddam had his own indigenous production programs. It's not like chemical weapons are hard to make; even a bunch of loony cultists in Japan managed to make sarin to attack the subway system there.
>>
Try being Scottish.
>OMG do you guys wear kilts like at the time
>All you guys eat is haggis right?
>Do you guys even have starbucks? don't you guys just live in mud huts?
>Have you seen braveheart?
>Do you hate the english?
>Do you know I am 3/4's Scottish, we are basically brothers!
>Why are you not Ginger
>You don't sound very Scottish (I live in Edinburgh so not got a strong accent)

I really thought people were not that stupid until I started travelling. I suppose I have met some cool people which balances it out.
>>
File: 6-11-2012 3-51-46 PM.jpg (218KB, 814x578px) Image search: [Google]
6-11-2012 3-51-46 PM.jpg
218KB, 814x578px
>>941648
sounds like you cant handle the banter m8
>>
>>941664
Fuck off ya cunt
>>
>>941206
Look at this autism. Wtf lil nigga?
>>
>>941746
>get massively told
>all you can do is give a lame cry about autism

now fuck off, shit stain.
>>
>>941634
>we arm countries with all sorts of stuff, but not WMDs
lel

Israel.
>>
>>937816
I wish this board had flags. It rates it more than /pol/
>>
>>941762
flags will only make it worse and encourage even more /pol/ and /int/ shitposters to come here.
>>
>>941762
I really wish mods would try it at least for a week or two. Your travel experiences can be different based on where you are from. And people giving advice on their homeland would be legit.
>>
>>941765
I'm the guy who originally mentioned flags a couple of posts up. Nice to see someone agrees. And that's my main reasoning. Better advice can be given knowing where people are from . Like the guy asking about the dog and traveling. A lot of people assumed he was starting in the USA, and that's a different answer is you are already in Europe.
>>
>>941666
>confirmed for not being able to handle the bants
m8
>>
>>938586
>>939405
How would Denmark ever sound like America or USA?
>>
>>941765
>>941771
You must be new here.

/trv/ doesn't want flags as we've confirmed several times. Go back to /int/ if you want to circle jerk over flags.
>>
>>938269
most underrated post in this thread. I laughed.
Thread posts: 219
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.