[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TEFL Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 17

File: i_am_a_tefl_teacher.jpg (147KB, 1114x762px) Image search: [Google]
i_am_a_tefl_teacher.jpg
147KB, 1114x762px
Monthly Tefl thread. I'm an American who teaches English to children in Thailand. I've been here for 4 years. I've also taught English for 2 years in Japan. I intend on staying and teaching in Thailand for the rest of my life.

If anybody has any questions about teaching English in a foreign country ask away.
>>
>>934208
>rest of my life
jesus christ why
>>
>>934223
I'm engaged to a girl. Quality of life here is good. I'm about to finish my masters so I will be making more money. My life is a lot better then it was before I got here. So yeah all of these reasons.
>>
>>934223
>>934208 (OP)
>rest of my life
>jesus christ why
I'm also curious, you could be teach in English in south Korea and other Asian countries. Why lock yourself down to one place for the rest of your life?
>>
>>934225
Well I'm engaged to a girl here. Also I really enjoy my life here and don't want to change it. I could make more money in Korea but honestly I never had any intrested in teaching there. Right now my life is great and want to keep it like that. Plus I traveled alot and kinda feel like settling down in one country.
>>
What city do you live in OP? What sort of school do you teach in? Are you looking at teaching in a university after you get your masters?

My friend is currently in Thailand. She's on one of the islands and pretty much went there to smoke weed, drink, and fuck random guys for 2 weeks. Are you living that sort of lifestyle everyday? I'd love to be a beach bum for a while somewhere while making money, is that still possible or do too many people want to do this?
>>
>>934240
I live just outside of Phuket. I teach in a private school. A university or an international school.

Yeah there is weed everywhere if you're an expat. Many expats live a party lifestyle as you described. I did at first but I recently got engaged so I'm not into patrying as much anymore.

It's very possible to live a beach bum lifestyle. The're plenty of jobs available. Keep in mind that not all of Thailand is a beach and much of it is poor and rural.

But as long as you have a bachelors and are white you will have no difficulties finding a job.
>>
>>934242
Maybe you can give me some insight into this as well. I'll ask my friend when she comes back but I had a look at her facebook posts and just quickly creepily looked at some of the people who live on that island. Well, I'm not sure what exactly they all do there. Seems like a lot are diving instructors but others I'm not exactly sure what they're doing.

Other than teaching, what do you see expats do there? It seems like there are white people from all over the world living there but I'm not sure what the fuck they're all doing.
>>
>>934244
There are a shit ton of older expats here who simply retired here. Guys who retired at 45 and now just live here doing nothing. Alot of these guys support themselves by trading stocks or something related.

Bangkok is a big financial hub so there are alot of relocated corporate business type expats here.

Alot of people are also freelancers. Web developers, programmers, graphic designers, etc.

Also since Thailand has many tourists, there is a demand for English speaking hotel managers and other service industry jobs.
>>
What can you save working in Thailand? (Like $ per month)
>>
>>934253
That's such a broad question. It depends on where you live and how much you make.
>>
Do you need to be good with languages? I can't learn a second language to save my life.
>>
>>934208
How do you teach your students? I have a few Japanese people that want me to teach them english through the internet. How can I go about this?
>>
>>934258
Not really. You can get by just knowing a few phrases. But if your planing on staying for a long time then it is your best intrest to learn the language.

But by know mmeans do you need to learn the local language to teach.
>>
>>934260
I have never taught over the Internet but I assume you do it over skype. Basically you just talk to them in English and correct their pronounciation and grammar.
>>
What are some reputable, legit places to get a TEFL certificate?
>>
>>934249

>Also since Thailand has many tourists, there is a demand for English speaking hotel managers and other service industry jobs.

How much do they get paid? Do you need a degree or can you fake a degree for it?
>>
>>934265
There are many diffrent options. CELTA and Trinity TESOL are the most respected ones, they are also the most expencive and rigorous ones.

If you don't want those any tefl certificate from an accredited school will do they. They are cheaper and not as difficult to pass.

Whatever you do dont get an online certificate, your wasting your money, they are worthless. Make sure the course has teaching time. As in they make you teach in front of a class.

I got my CELTA in Bangkok.
>>
>>934266
I have no idea to be honest. I'm sure they make enough to live confortably on. It's very unlikely you can fake a degree. Most hotels here are owned by international corporations. Apply for a job at one would be the same as applying for a job in your home country.
>>
>>934208
I'm starting in Vietnam next month, I've never really been outside of the US for more than a month or so, I'm excited but also hella nervous. The school I'm going to didn't require a CELTA/TESOL certification, but I'm planning on getting one. Is it easy to jump from country to country, I'd like to go to Korea and Japan at some point, Vietnam was actually my second choice after China. Also is there any easier way to get a teaching job in Japan than JET?
>>
>>934266
From my understanding they don't really make much money. I'm not talking about managers or regional managers of large chain hotels. Most of the jobs are for spa hotels and just small local ones (not the cheap mom and pop ones but ones that market to foreigners with money). The wages are somewhat similar to what diving instructors there make, enough to live comfortably as ThaiAnon said but not enough to get anywhere in life. For a lot of people there, it's just an extended vacation. You don't do it for your career or money, you do it so you can spend a few years in Asia enjoying the lifestyle.

Having said that, if you're young and don't have anything keeping you from it, do it. Find a job in Asia and just live day to day. It's going to be one of the best decisions you've ever made. Just make sure you have an exit plan at the end.
>>
Comparison between Japan and Thailand?
Why did you choose Thailand?
>>
>>934276
Vietnam is a cool place to teach from what I heard. I visited it 2 years ago and liked it very much.

I don't see why it would be difficult to jump from country to country.

Jet is the common way people get teaching jobs in Japan. The other way is to go to daveseslcafe or another similar website and respond to a resume, this is why I did.
>>
>>934289
The difference between Thailand and Japan is massive. It's take me forever to list everything. I will just say why I left Japan.

Teaching in Japan is awful. The schools from JET are aweful, they are unreasonable and don't care about you. It's hard to save money, you just barely get by with your salary. The culture in Japan is unbearable, most people don't Like you. The kids don't care about learning english, they are required to go to english class.

There are like 40 more reasons I can think of as to why you shouldn't teach in japan. But I'm on my phone and don't feel like typing it all out. Just trust me Japan is a cool place to visit but to live there is awful. I do not recommend it. You can search youtube and a bunch of people made videos ob why they hated teaching in Japan.

As for Thailand, I chose it because it's warm, quality of life is great for the mone I make. I can save lots of money each month. The people are warm and like foreigners unlike japanese people. Plus I live in a 2 bedroom European style apartment that's right next to one of the best beaches in the world.
life is good here.
>>
>>934292
just as many people say the opposite, for any guillible people

in thailand crime is about as bad as in america, whereas in japan there's pretty much nothing you can do to get mugged

in thailand comparable western accomodation will cost nearly as much as in a first world country. You get, at best, a 20% discount.

people are generally warmer, true. this is just an attitude and depends on what you prefer.

your wages are about half. so it sounds to me like this guy just likes getting drunk off his ass constantly. there's no "savings" you accrue in thailand from the petty wage you earn.
>>
>>934306
Thailand is relatively safe. Japan is just about safer then any other country so comparing the 2 is unreasonable. I have never been a victim of a crime, especially not in the small town I live in.

I pay $350 for a 2 bedroom apartment with Wifi and full utilities. It is modern in everyway, it was built in 2003. It is twice as cheap as the apartment I lived in in the U.S, and it is significantly nicer. Plus it is a 10 minute walk to one of the best beaches in the world.

I dont drink that often anymore, maybe I get drunk once a month. I save about $600 a month if I don't go on any trips or buy any new gadgets. My wage is pretty low if you compare it to U.S and European standards, but everything is cheap in Thailand and I'm considered upper middle class here. I live much more confortably here then I did in the U.S making less money.

You obviously are sensitive about any negative perceptions on Japan, I'm sorry if I upset you. I was just telling my opinion. It is common knowledge in the expat community that Japan is not a great country to work in. Whenever I hear horror stories from othe expats 8/10 times it takes place in Japan. The only people who enjoy it and stay more then a year are the weeboos. Japan is a cool country, great place to visit. But honestly from my experience and from the experiences of every other teacher I met that taught there, it's kind of shit.
>>
>>934310
m8 sounds like you literally just work and sleep. when post people talk about saving money, they mean saving money while living a fun (but modest) lifestyle.
>>
>>934325
Lighten up dude.
>>934306
As an American living in thailand the crime definitely isn't as bad. Not even remotely on the same level (don't do drugs here though the things people say about that shit are true). It's a hell of a lot cheaper than America as well. Upwards of 75% off accommodation if you're comparing bottom to bottom.
>>
>>934325
Nah, I work maybe 25 hours a week. I don't work and sleep. Like I said, you can save 600 if you don't go on trips and buy expencive shit. I usually go on vacation twice a year. When I first got here I went to nightclubs every weekend but now that I'm engaged I kinda settled down. Plus I much prefer to drink beer on the beach with my fiance then go partying.
>>
>>934325
He didn't say he couldn't save money while living a "fun" liftstyle as you put it. He says he saves about 600 a month USD without your so called "fun". Since everything is cheap comparatively to the US even if he were to spend an extra 250 a month just bullshitting around he'd still be putting 350 in the bank.

I'm glad to know things are still like this. I used Thailand as my "homebase" in my SEA backpacking trip in 2012. I came to Thailand with a buddy of mine who ended up chickening out of the whole backpacking thing so we rented an apartment in Chiang Mai where he stayed almost exclusively while I did my traveling. He found a lovely, and gorgeous Thai lady (not ladyboy) and they're engaged to be married now. He lives just outside Chiang Mai teaching english at a small school for what ends up being about 700 USD a month. He doesn't have a TEFL cert or anything remotely close. Between his 700ish USD and the small job at a resturaunt his soon to be wife have they manage to have a nice home and a child on the way.

I'm flying back into Thailand in Feb to spend sometime with them and for the wedding. I'll be there for a few weeks and he wants me to work in his classroom with him. Teaching English is something I've always been curious about doing but never really thought it would be as easy as it seems.

OP, is it really that easy to get into? What exactly are your lessons? Like do you teach in the traditional sense like vocabulary, punctuation and stuff like that like a normal 1st grader would see? Or what?
>>
>>934331
It's easy to get into as long as you have a bachelors degree and are white. If your not white you can still get a job but it might be slightly more difficult.

I teach kids aged 8-12, we focus mostly on vocabulary and pronouncation. I try to teach them basic phrases. We also focus on punctuation and grammar but that is more difficult for them, they start to get good at that when they are teenagers.

The school gives me a sylabus that explains what they want me to teach. I make the lessons which revolve around teaching mixed with games. Games are important, you will be playing alot of games if you teach here, or really in any other country.
>>
>>934208
OP. It's like you just came from the heavens to answer my questions! I have a Thai gf that I am pretty sure I'm marrying, or at least staying with long term and I know she eventually wants to move back to Thailand. Teaching English or teaching at an International School is something I was looking to do.

1. How prevalent are TEFL jobs?
2. Are there insider tips in finding and getting hired for these jobs?
3. What are the average requirements?
4. What is the pay like?
5. Where do you live in Thailand?

I'd love to network with you. Do you have steam, xbox, twitter or other social media ID with which I can contact you? From there I'll share my email or FB.
>>
>>934242
Sorry for repeating questions other asked. Please ignore those. I jumped right in when I saw your post.
>>
>>934335
>>934336
OP. I also have LINE.
>>
>>934335
1. There is a huge demand for English teachers. Very easy to find a job even with no experience and shit credentials.
2. The only thing I can think of is move to Thailand and apply for jobs when your in the country. You are more likely to get hired if you already reside in Thailand then if you apply online from your home country.
3. Have a bachelors degree and be white. Also a tefl certificate will help a lot.
4. Assuming you have no experience you should expect to make 30,000 Baht a month, which is about $900 dollars. This sounds like alot but a lot of schools will give you an apartment for free and it's more then enough to live on. After you get experience you can make more money.
5. Phuket.
>>
>>934341
I ment to say 900 sounds like not alot.
>>
>>934341
>The only thing I can think of is move to Thailand and apply for jobs when your in the country
So you go with a tourist visa and then ask your employer to sponsor your work visa or what?

Also, have you met any non-native speakers teaching English? I'm guessing there's almost no demand for Spanish, French, German... but I may be wrong
>>
>>934310
you didn't offend me it just seems that your priorities are either skewed, or drastically different from those of most people

saving 600 dollars a month is hardly anything. not to rain on your parade

japan is not always pleasant to work in. It really depends on your job and what you want out of life. I hardly work at all in japan, certainly much less than my peers. I am paid less, accordingly. At the same time I still manage to save 2k usd a month, leaving me in a financial situation and country considerably more stable than thailand. you never know when, in a third world or 1st world welfare state, when the government will just randomly decide to appropriate your property for the common good.

I agree that most of the expats here are completely mental nutjobs. This applies slightly less to other countries than to japan

It really depends on your priorities, but in japan you are safe, and start a family with relative ease, are financially secure, and in a safe legal position.

You can't really say that about most other asian countries. Singapore, HK and to a lesser extent korea being exceptions. China is slowly but steadily moving there too.

But realistically I can't EVER see thailand being a good place to raise a family. Which is MY number one priority, though you might have different ones.

If you just want to goof off by the beach and have cheap things, but also be poor by first world standards, thailand is probably better though.

>>934328
You don't compare bottom to bottom in thailand OR america though because you're liable to get stabbed.

Also, I'm not entirely fond of the thai legal system or the legal and financial vulnerability it places on falangs. I get it, they're just protecting their country from predatory foreigners. but to enjoy the "benefits" you've basically got to live with your tail between your legs and hope the wrong person doesn't decide he wants your bank accounts.
>>
File: 1419817426368.png (111KB, 297x231px) Image search: [Google]
1419817426368.png
111KB, 297x231px
>>934349
>Most eikawa/alt wages in nihon are 250,000 to 300,000 a month
>Implying that's enough to start a family

Teach me your secrets anon. I'm looking into ALT work but I'm worried about whether it is a stable career. Most jobs are contract work for 1 or 2 years..
>>
>>934349
$600 is pretty good to me, I'm pretty much a minimalist, i dont spend money unless i really need to. Not to mention when my parents die i will inherit 500k+ at least.

It's kinda of funny how you think Japan is some financial paradice. The economy is shit and is only gonna get worse. I feel significantly more financially safe here then I would in Japan. The government here has its problems with the recent coup and all bit atleast it's popualtion isn't shrinking and the economy isn't on the brink of long term financial recessesion.

And in terms of job security, in Thailand I'm basically guaranteed a job. Unless a kill a kid I'm not gonna get fired. In japan since so many white people flood the country to teach, the schools only want to hire you for a year or two, then they lay you off and hire the next guy.

When you say it's easier to start a family in Japan I hope you mean with a non japanese citizen. The women there are increasingly choosing not to get married and the ones that are usually would pick a Japanese man over a foreigner. It's still stimatized for a Japanese woman to marry a foreigner.

I'm getting married soon and will start a family here, but honestly I feel very secure, more so then I would in Japan.

But that's just my point if view.
>>
>>934350
not everyone here is an english teacher.

All I'm going to say is that if you're afraid to start a family on a wage of 250k yen, you shouldn't be getting married and having kids on a salary of 900 USD a month. the guy talking about how much better thailand is has very different priorities.

in a country like thailand or the US, one single accident can put you underwater for life, land you in a dangerous part of the country, or even wind up dead. To raise your kids in a safe place with a good education costs TONS of money.

Even if you're dirt poor in japan you have access to high quality education, safety, decent investment vehicles, and there's pretty much not a single mistake you can make or life event that can happen which will put you into permanent debt from a medical accident, a run in with the law, etc. (unles you are, of course, a criminal.)

example, catch cancer in america? you might have to sell the house, your insurance might get canceled. Thailand probably has good medical care, but is 600 a month enough to cure it?

In japan these kinds of problems were basically solved in the 70s.
>>
>>934350
The big problem with teaching in Japan and basically one of the reasons I moved to Thailand is because the job stability for teachers is awfull. Most employers expect you to teach for 1-2 years and then return to your country of origin. The market is over saturated with weeboos that unlike many other asian countries, finding a job is not as easy. In Thailand, Vietnam and China if your white and have a degree you are almost guaranteed a job. In japan there are so many people trying to teach there that it's difficult to find a good job. Plus with the population shrinking Japan is closing down schools due to lack of students. So there is less demand for teachers and plenty of supply.
>>
>>934352
I wasnt arguing Thailand vs Japan. I was referring to your point where you mentioned starting a family with relative ease.

It's not easy for gaijin since majority of gaijin are english teachers
>>
>>934351
well yes, an english teacher is a pretty worthless asset here. If your skillset is so low that you have to go to a third world country in order to outcompete the educated labor market, something is amiss.

Also, you're wrong about thai financial stability. Thaksin wasted TONS of money on infrastructure which made zero money back, and what existing development DOES exist is largely financed by foreign speculation, (of which japan plays a very influential role. my job may or may not have something to do with that.)

During the next global recession, which will be soon, money will flow out of commodities producers and undeveloped economies very quickly into safe havens, despite negative interest rates on deposits and net depreciation of assets.

I'm not really sure what value thailand adds to the economy of the world aside from keeping 50 year old sex tourists from killing themselves out of depression.

The fact of the matter is thailand missed a very big development opportunity which was capitalized upon by a few countries, such as malaysia much better. They used their money to build engineering firms, banks, schools, technology groups.

Thailand is stuck with gogo bars. And when the currency collapses your savings are doing to depreciate by 40% or more.

I'm not trying to shit on your decisions. Thailand is lovely and there are many good things about it. But people like you really just swallow the garbage the media puts out on japan. People like you tend to be just as ignorant about china as well, and have been doomsaying chinese growth for decades. But they're about to pass america in terms of power, and most other countries already have stronger trade associations with china than america, for example.
>>
>>934355
Alright I'm done with this conversation.
>>
>>934353
I plan on doing Alt work then applying for an international school after getting more teaching experience.

There are stable jobs in Japan but you need to be qualified and experienced. I have to agree with you about the state of the industry in Japan. All the english center businesses and eikawas take advantage of new grads.

The better and safer jobs is in the school system rather than a private company or business. I guess that applies to all countries
>>
>>934359
you can be done with the conversation if you like. I fundamentally assess your knowledge of thailand's financial situation as flawed or incomplete, and you don't want to elaborate on it

but I think it's a fairly important thing for anyone thinking of moving to thailand so I'll continue to comment for other posters.
>>
>>934361
I heard most international schools want you to have a teaching lisense from your country of origin.

I have a friend who had a masters in education and could not find a job in Japan because he was over qualified. In general to find a good job in Japan you have to be lucky.
>>
>>934355
GTFO!!! THIS IS NOT /pol/!!!! Can we have one fucking thread that stays on topic without some off the subject debate . This thread is about teaching in Thailand. This is why we can't have nice things!
>>
>>934362
Listen man, I didn't mean to start a war over whos country was best. In Japan I was depresse, hated my job and was lonely. Since I moved here I feel 100 times better. My parents are rich and I'm an only child, I'm not conserned about finances.

Overall the desision I made was the right one.
>>
>>934362
However valid your information might be, I cannot take much of anything you say seriously. I fundamentally assess your knowledge of the English language as flawed or incomplete. You show to real grasp of capitalization or sentence structure.

This thread is about teaching English so unless you're here to contribute to that topic and that topic alone, please leave. Your presence is ruining it for the rest of us.
>>
>>934365
fair enough

>>934366
he was talking about his financial situation and some other posters were curious.

I am providing an alternative perspective with a bit more quantitative substance, because a circlejerk of sunshine and puppies does no one any good.
>>
>>934363
It depends on who you apply with.

The more stable jobs either want a masters degree or 2 to 3 yrs teaching experience in Japan.

Your friend must have been applying for the wrong jobs or did terrible at interviews since jobs are pretty regular for anyone with more qualifications
>>
>>934366
what's the story behind this pic?
>>
>>934348
>>
>>934228
You poor sorry bastard. Thirty seconds after you get married, she's going to be demanding that you take her out of Thailand back to Glorious America where she can live her fantasy of being a housewife while you slave away at whatever to bring in the dollars.
>>
Behold the English teacher:
>>934310
>Japan is just about safer then any other country
>I have never been a victim of a crime, especially not in the small town I live in.
>modern in everyway,
>It is twice as cheap as
>I dont
>more confortably here then I did
>perceptions on
>stay more then a year
>Japan is a cool country, great place to visit.

Just kill yourself.
>>
>>934349
>Also, I'm not entirely fond of the thai legal system or the legal and financial vulnerability it places on falangs. I get it, they're just protecting their country from predatory foreigners.
No they're not, they are intentionally setting up foreigners to be screwed. How is that "protecting their country from predatory foreigners"?

Oh, farang, now that you've built up a manufacturing company, your Thai partners have decided not to let you keep it any longer. Too bad. You'd better not protest or else they'll have you murdered. By the way, your "wife" has booked you into a penthouse suite at a hotel nearby, I hope you know how to fly, otherwise you're going to have a bad time of it after her Thai boyfriend and his buddies throw you off the balcony. Have a good day in the Land of Smiles!!!
>>
>>934352
>250k yen, you shouldn't be getting married and having kids on a salary of 900 USD a month
In fairness, even a year ago that was a salary of 3000 USD per month. BTW, you mathed wrong, that is now about 2000 USD per month.
>>
Anyone here teaching in Spain or elsewhere in Europe? I am curious about what kind of money you earn, what standard of living you can achieve etc.

I'm doing my CELTA this month and I already have 6 months experience teaching in Mexico. I live in Ireland and I don't want to stray too far from home.
>>
>>934352
>in a country like thailand or the US, one single accident can put you underwater for life, land you in a dangerous part of the country, or even wind up dead.

Can't argue on the dead part, since that's a problem with accidents anywhere. Same with the crippled-for-life issue.

However, as far as "underwater", assuming you mean financially: in the U.S., at least, you can declare bankruptcy, and many people who have had serious medical problems do just that.
>>
>>934355
>The fact of the matter is thailand missed a very big development opportunity which was capitalized upon by a few countries, such as malaysia much better. They used their money to build engineering firms, banks, schools, technology groups.
Thailand did it to itself, though. Imagine being a U.S. engineer wanting to start a company. You can start it in Thailand, where if it's successful your Thai "partners" will steal it from you, or you can do it anywhere else on the planet, where you can become successful and rich. Which do you choose?

>but dat's predatory!!!1!
>>
Wow that one guy sure had a hard on for Japan. Terrible place to live tho too expensive. I'm 30 yo white male. If you could get me a job I'd give you 1000usd I don't care what the job pays
>>
>>934208
How much to do you make a month/hour?
>>934334
I'm black/hispanic and i was planning on taking 4 months to find a job in thailand when i finish my Bachelors is that a good amount for a brown skinned guy with mo regional accent.
>>934530
No,Thais never actually want to leave Thailand if they do it's super temporary and they want to go back to Thailand Thais were never colonized they have strong national pride and they like being in a Buddhist majority nation.
>>
>>934554
>>934554
No european counties are even on the top list for income so it's likely under $1500 usd a month and european counties are not that inexpensive so it may or maybe be ok idk
Average Monthly Salary: 700-1,400 euros
Average Cost of Living: 1,000-1,300 euros (??)
If you want to make dosh go to the middle east UAE Oman or Saudi Arabia but pretty sure you won't be dating at all.
>>
>>934530
Well she just graduated from dental school and started working here. Neither she nor I have any intention of moving to the U.S.
>>
>>934577
I make about $1,200 a month. After I get my masters ill be making more.

If your not white you will have more difficulties finding a job, many employers simply will not hire you. Its not impossible though if you really put in an effort to find a job and have good credentials.
>>
>>934579
Yeah tefl isnt a job for making money, its more about quality of life. But yeah the middle east is really the only place where you can make good money, but you need a masters, like 5 years experience, and you will have no sex.
>>
>>934584
Oh nice that's a decent but not too far from entry income so looks like my plans couls work out,I'\m already pretty frugal in the US. I know not being white is a huge disadvantage hopefully i can get past it since I'm not West African
What degree do you have and are you finishing your masters in thailand?
>>
>>934568
Japan isn't that expensive if you live outside the major cities. Utilities like water, electricity and internet are actually really cheap.
>>
>>934310
do you kno about that man child TEFL teacher gimmeabreakman or gimmeaflakeman. he works in japan and is the most cringeworthy weeb ever. his office where he does his videos is covered in toys
>>
>>934606
Does that guy even teach? I'm pretty sure all he does is make videos with controversial topic. He only gets like 1000 views on most of his shit.
>>
>>934593
I have a degrre in English Lit. I'm getting a masters in TESOL online through The University of San Francisco.

Don't worry to much about not being white, I know a few non white teachers. If you have a bachelors and dress/resent yourself well you shouldn't have to much of a difficult time finding a job. Once you get work experience it will be even easier.
>>
>>934577
>No,Thais never actually want to leave Thailand

Tell that to all the Thais living in other countries.
>>
>>934606
I know who he is, I watched like 15 of his videos. Yeah he is the stereotypical white boy who wishes he was Japanese. He is one of those people who is in such love with Japan that he over looks all the shitty aspects of living there.
>>
>>934616
>stereotypical white boy

Why do you call middle aged, Hispanic men, "white boys"?
>>
>>934618
Oh sorry i assumed he was white. I havent seen his videos in like 2 years.
>>
>>934618

Prolly cuz he's a nigger boy with a chip on his shoulder
>>
>>934208
OP here. If anyone want further proof on why teaching in Japan sucks watch this video. I agree with this guy 100%. Everything he talks about in his video I can relate to in my experience. Its long but this guy really hits the nail on the head in terms of what its really like to teach English in Japan.
>>
>>934622
This is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YHo_U4Ufc
>>
>>934610
he does teach as well as make whatever amount of money he gets from youtube for making an irrelevant vlog every day
>>
>>934610
and yeah, he's not at all popular. he's the reason why I'm afraid of being a TEFL teacher, I'm afraid I will become like him. I wonder if he is addicted to vlogging so hardcore because he yearns for contact with other westerners. he also doesnt seem to have any non expat friends other than his wife, if u can count a wife as a friend.
>>
>>934614
>Only 706,472 Thai outside of Thailand
That's basically nothing and every Thai person who is educated usually wants to return to Thailand 50 million Thais not even 1 million out of the country
>>
>>934623

I like that guy's videos, but he has such a fucking ugly girlfriend. Jesus. Even last year he was regularly posting videos of hotter girls he was banging, now he's settling for some hideous troll monster with an overbite.

I think he's engaged to her. What the fuck is wrong with him
>>
>>934626
You can always find other westerners pretty easy though
>>
>>934628
is she ugly she just looks old to me idk, looks about appropriate for him nit saying this guy is ugly they just look to be about the same league. This dude is at least 35
>>
>>934628
I don't think she is that ugly, she is like 40 just like him.
>>
>>934623
>youtube video by some dumbcunt as proof of the entire industry

Opinion discarded. There is a lot of good jobs here in the schooling system. Of course if you go to an eikawa or private business you will be milked.
>>
>>934627
Where the fuck did you pull that number out of your ass. You're generalizing and assuming all Thais want to return when that's not true.

There's a pretty big Thai community in Australia and many other countries.
>>
File: f1703948.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
f1703948.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>934623

It is good to gather opinions from different personalities. Do you have anymore videos like this?
>>
>>934643
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_people#cite_note-2
based on online available stats there are maybe 60k thais is AUS
>>
>>934208
hey op do you eat thai food? How do you like it?
>>
File: Thai_Map.png (1MB, 4500x2234px) Image search: [Google]
Thai_Map.png
1MB, 4500x2234px
>>934646
>>
>>934623
>Travels to Japan and complains about Japanese work standards
>Complains about students and how draining they are

This guy isn't suited to be a teacher. Most of his complaints were about students and being in class. He is an idiot for not researching companies before applying.
>>
>>934638
oh my god, The man was just giving his opinion based off his experience, I'm just giving my opinion based on my experience.

Off course there are good teaching jobs in Japan, if you get lucky you can find one. There are also a lot of shitty jobs.

There are a bunch of similar videos about the same subject, people bitching about how bad their job is. there are also people who make videos about how great it is.

Jesus Christ, its isnt so black and white. You can stop defending Japan now. I'm just talking about my personal subjective opinion.
>>
>>934648
Its great, similar to Chinese food but better.
>>
>>934644
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdHDpQx464

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYu88DF5xM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqiF_xvNQso
>>
>>934651
His video was pretty bad though. He complained about being in class and students, meaning he isn't suited to be a teacher.

He has some valid points about the business side of eiwakas and english businesses, but those are true for every country including China, Korea and Thailand.

His bad experience is because he isn't a good teacher. He even complains about wearing a suit for work. What the fuck.
>>
>>934656
I'm not gonna defend every word he said, but in general the work culture and the students behavior he described is spot on, and is unique to Japan.

Yeah i dont agree with him about the suit and haircut thing, although here in Thailand I show up to work in Jeans, sneakers and a nice shirt.
>>
>>934646
>2010 statistic by America

The number of Thais overseas is obviously not the majority. Most countries do not have majority of it's population overseas.

>every Thai person who is educated usually wants to return to Thailand

Some Thai's leave and seek further education and work overseas. But you can't assume that the majority that left want to return. Plenty of Thai's live and get permanent residency in other countries.
>>
>>934657
Well if you move to a new country and can't adapt to the work culture then yeah that's a problem. But really he should have known or considered a lot more before moving. He sounds bitter as hell.

That dresscode in Thailand makes sense since it can be humid as fuck over there.
>>
>>934663
The point is you have to be a serious workaholic and weeb to really enjoy teaching in Japan.
>>
>>934665
>being a weeb

Isn't that the whole point of living and working there. Because you like the place.

That guy in the youtube video has serious special snowflake syndrome.
>>
I'm thinking of doing TEFL in south korea; anyone have any experience?
>>
>>934672
>Isn't that the whole point of living and working there. Because you like the place

I guess
>>
>>934673
I don''t but I heard good things, its a great place to save money and the nightlife is great.
>>
>>934623

>can't handle acting like a professional
>can't handle putting on a face for the sake of his job
>can't handle socializing with students, or dealing with unruly students, or teaching students who don't want to learn

Good grief, this man is absolutely not suited to teach anything to anyone.
>>
>>934673
South Korea pays well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z71FHi2h3o
>>
>>934649
how can there be 50 million thais in thailand if there are only 7 million ppl in the world?
>>
>>934623
A lot of the things he says just sound like cultural differences that he can't adjust to. Japan is very different from the west. It's not for everyone. Not everyone wants to have the kind of lifestyle most Japanese live. For some people, sure it might work, but for example a person who only works to live, their view of living for work is going to seem awful. Spaniards, Italians and Greeks have the same exact views towards Germans and Scandinavians. I made a thread on /int/ (and I know a 4chan example is bad) where I asked what all the unemployed Spaniards are doing with some regions having 40% unemployment. After a while there were some replies that pretty much said "I'd rather be poor in Spain than rich in Britain". It's the same in Japan, if you can't adjust to the fact that people work all day long and then spend their evenings with their coworkers, maybe Japan isn't for you.

Another aspect of the culture he mentions is that kids don't tell him if he's doing a good job face to face. Well no shit, they're trying to help you save face. They don't want to offend you. In Asia it's very common to hear people say yes, or a form of "yes" when in fact they mean no.

The other issues he presents are just common problems all instructors of every topic in the entire world face. Your job as a teacher is to pass on knowledge to someone who doesn't have it. You as a teacher have to expect the worst and do your best with what you're given to pass on your knowledge. I think with a lot of English teachers, because they're not properly trained to be a teacher in the same way one would be if they attempted teaching back home, they don't realize the amount of work associated with teaching. That monkey with a chain this is how schools operate everywhere. You have to teach what the school tells you to teach not random shit that you'd like to. It might seem frustrating but that's work for you, it's what pays you money.
>>
>>934696
I fucking died laughing
>>
>>934552
and having american partners do the very reverse to their filipino "friends" is any better? they're doing it to us before we do it to them. simple as that.

>>934559
well the real issue is that malaysia invested in engineering, science, and pharmacy. Thailand invested in hookers and beachfront property.

>>934556
then you die of cancer.
>>
>>934661
I'm so sad that I return to this thread to see the same /int/ /pol/ shit going on. The OP likes Thailand , didn't like Japan. Why do you weeks have a problem with that and act like there is a problem with him that he does. And anybody that knows Thais, and know Thailand knows that those who can do well in Thailand stay in Thailand or find their education/fortunes elsewhere and return . Thai people are very proud and think the Thai version of anything is the best thing. Even in places where a lot of Thais emigrate to, they don't adapt, they make Thailand wherever they are at. Even ones that marry Farangs strive to get their husband back to Thailand in retirement , if not earlier.

OP, I'm the one who mentioned wanting to network with you earlier. If you're in Thailand you are probably on LINE. My ID is macjr82.
>>
>>934588
Not true. Plenty of sex from all of the Filipino service workers. And their is prostitutes in UAE and Bahrain. Saudi would be gthe only country that was super difficult but you can literally drive to Bahrain on the weekends. Live some place close like Dammam, even more frequently
>>
>>934762
If you say so, I have no expeince in the middle east. I would be careful about prostitution in those countries though, I don't know what the law is but I assume it's harsh if you get caught.
>>
>>934811

You would assume wrong. https://massagerepublic.com/female-escorts-in-doha

And you would assume wrong. If you look at the map earlier in thread some of the top countries with Thais are Gulf states. I'll give you guesses on why that is, and they aren't all working at massage parlors and restaurants. In fact, the number is much higher if they counted all the visa violators and the visa runners . And I do have experience in the Gulf. Sometimes they get holier than though and do crackdowns to appease the base, for instance Bahrain shut down the sale of alcohol in 3 star hotels during Ramadan and out of nowhere shut down most 4 stars for about a month back in November. They'll do random visa checks, and police checkpoints places girls are, but if they are with a European or American no issue. Don't want any problems with the foreign embassy and companies. The rich Gulf States know why they are rich and it's not oil. It's foreign investment and tourism, of wjich oil is a part. Expat population ia huge i the Gulf, probably larger percentage wise tahm any other region. It's to the point some of the more popular clubs even have a designated Thai night and more popular hotels have in house girls or 4 or 5 different clubs with different kinds of girls and themes

https://massagerepublic.com/female-escorts-in-abu-dhabi
>>
File: IMG_874486495218336.jpg (108KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_874486495218336.jpg
108KB, 960x638px
This picture was taken in the Middle East at a club prior to the doors opening. The prostitutes are an open secret, like much else in the ME. You see they don't dress like the whores in Thailand but like regular club goers. They dress even more conservatively when not working. Just normal clothes like everyone else . Also, the other poster the map with Thais abroad. Alot of Thai whores,(and Filipinas) end up dating and marrying ME men, which is probably what those number represent and the expat Thais with businesses. You don't fin many in the service industry because their English tends not to be as good. Mostly Filipinas
>>
>>934822
Ah, alright then.
>>
>Marrying Thais

What are you doing anon
>>
>>934869
Marrying Thais
>>
>>934869
Not the OP, but as mentioned in the Thailand thread that is saged but still available, (and I'm not that guy either), but Thais make some of beet wives if you're looking for a caterer/Suzy homemaker. Have you feeling like royalty. My Thai girlfriends (I have had a few) caused me to gain 20 lbs because they would feed me and not let me lift a finger. One would even bathe me. Let alone the bedroom shit, but why are winners outside of it as well.
>>
>>934878
Yeah Thai women in general are very into the traditional household wife roles.
>>
what are the qualifications and how do I start is there a website I can apply on?
>>
>>934910
it is easier to get a job when you are actually in Thailand. If you are white you could get a job with no qualifications I wouldn't advise this though
You need a Degree (in anything) Be a native speaker of English and sometimes you need a TEFL certificate you can get one in your home country or in Thailand it's something like 2-4 weeks depending on where you get it done and about $200-$1200 also depending.
>>
>>934910
http://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/browse_jobs/index.html
this is a commonly used site for teaching info in Thailand
don't accept a job below 30,000 Baht if you are gonna be in a biggish city
>>
>>934257
s/he did say 'you.'
>>
>>934393
>what's the story behind this pic?
just a brain dead propaganda victim showing the love he has for the country he is taking part in crimes against humanity, in. Illegal wars of aggression by fascist pig war profiteers, the guy inn the pic is cannon fodder. Same old story.
>>
>>934208
how are my chances if I'm somewhat socially awkward? Also, how much of an advantage is being able to speak and teach two languages (german/english)?
>>
>>934984http://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/browse_jobs/Thailand/111390.html

>>934984

was looking at the above site and saw this
>>
>>935003
>>934984
Dude you should look into this job it looks pretty good you get housing covered with air conditioning if you are qualified it sounds like a good job
>>
Hello TEFL people, I was wondering what is the best way to get a chinese visa in London? The most effective company and whatnot?
>>
TEFL people are the shadiest people I came across in S.E. Asia.
>>
>>935003
>Non-native English teacher from Europe is preferable

I always thought they vastly preferred native English speakers for teaching jobs like this.

I guess I could actually try to do this, huh.
>>
>>934264
>Basically you just talk to them in English and correct their pronounciation and grammar.
...you sure you're a teacher?
>>
>>935040
I think the German is the focus and English is just so you can communicate in the "common tongue"
>>
>>934263
No, you don't need to know the local language to TEFL.

>>934265
Don't waste your time unless you have no Bachelor's. And, if you have no Bachelor's, just photoshop a TEFL. Unless you actually want to be a good teacher unlike most of us.

>>934276
I'm in China, I'm also considering Vietnam next year. What's your salary n working hours n shit?

>>934328
>don't do drugs
I thought that was the only reason to go to Thailand. I'll be there in 3 weeks, should I abstain?

>>934362
>>934367
Shut the fuck up you weebo Nazi white pride toolish faggot

>>935049
How do you learn your second language?
>>
>>935069
>I thought that was the only reason to go to Thailand. I'll be there in 3 weeks, should I abstain?

I've never heard anyone refer to thailand as a go to place to do drugs. The stuff very low quality there and not really worth it and pharmacies always getting more careful about selling stuff without prescriptions. You can take the risk but if you're there for awhile and see people being arrested for it and farang behind bars with your own eyes it'll make you think twice. Just cross your fingers you get stopped by a cop that'll let you pay them off for 1k usd if you get arrested for weed. I've heard of like 15k bails for small amounts of meth.

I'd reccomend just enjoying the women and booze, but do whatever you want.
>>
>>935073
Oh I just meant weed and mushrooms. I heard of 12 year olds making mushroom milkshakes and rolling joints for farang in Phuket and Pai.
>>
>>935084
It's not hard to get. That doesn't mean you won't end up in a cell if you get caught. Weed is taken seriously there. On the other hand I've seen a girl that stole some shit from 7/11 and the police let her go if she payed like 15 bucks and if she got caught again she'd have to leave the country. I've heard loads of stories of drunk motorbike accidents and you get the same treatment. You just gotta pay the dude you hit and a small fine to get your bike and everything is fine. Get caught with a joint though? You better hope you get an answer to "how much do I owe" before they put you in the back of truck.
>>
Alright so decide for me, should I teach in Vietnam, Taiwan, or South Korea next year? I'm currently in a tier-2 city in China. My favorite things are making foreign and local friends to go out drinking and eating with, exploring nature, saving money, not working very hard, not being tied to contracts, and arts/music shit.
>>
>>934984
I don't know about being socially awkward, but I'm pretty introverted. I just kind of fake extroversion. Keep in mind you are basically putting on a show to keep the kids entertained. So your basically acting and being fake all the time.
>>
>>935022
Yeah a lot of us are.
>>
>>935040
Non native speakers get paid nowhere near as much as native speakers. Not enough to live on. There are some Philippino teachers here and they make like $400 a month and live together 4 people in a one bedroom apartment.
>>
>>935109
I would pick Vietnam because I prefer less developed countries to first world ones. But all 3 have their advantages.
>>
I have little trouble saving $15-18k a year in Korea not living especially cheap (drinking and eating out almost daily). I'm really sick of the place but there doesn't seem to be anything close for banking money.
>>
>>935190
Are you teaching public or private? How long have you been there? Any tips for some one who will be teaching in Korea in February who's never traveled before?
>>
>>935094
This is a very outdated view. These days all over SEA there are certain cities which are mostly marketed towards foreigners who want to spend time doing nothing but smoking weed, drinking, and fucking other tourists. Weed is super easy to find and actually cheaper than in America. Hash and shrooms are also everywhere, E is popular in clubs.

Believe it or not but these sort of areas make much more money from foreigners living and spending their money there than they would from busting them for a little pot. I wouldn't flash drugs around in front of cops but it's not uncommon for them to walk by people smoking weed and not do anything.
>>
>>935234
Again I never said it's hard to get or that it wasn't popular or expensive. I'm just speaking from the things I've seen, and considering the low quality of drugs here and risks involved I dont believe it's worth it. I'm just letting you know that there's another side of the land of smiles you seem to have fortunately never experienced. I'm sure it varies greatly by area as well.
>>
>>935241
Weed is weed everywhere. If you're in one of those resort or beach bum cities surrounded by foreigners you're going to get the drug you're looking for, not some fake laced crap that will make you sick.

I think that other side of land of smiles is exaggerated too by those stupid pseudo-documentary shows they run on travel television. Yeah bad things can happen, but they can happen everywhere. Just like back home you wouldn't just randomly ask strangers for drugs, it's the same in Thailand. Find a reputable source first and you're good.
>>
>>935190
How do you save so much? Could you do a break down of salary v expenses for the average month please? Genuinely interested in SK

Cheers
>>
>>934760
There is literally no /pol/ in this thread.
>>
>>935250
If you think weed is the same everywhere you haven't smoked more than a handful of times in your life, and I said I'm speaking from what I've seen with my own eyes. You aren't even reading my posts correctly at this point. Like I said from the start do whatever the fuck you want, but I figured I'd let a newbie see the expat view and understands the risks.
>>
I'm looking to get into TEFL, there's a few different courses which one will give me more chance to get a TEFL course.
>>
>>935279
they do this on every single board. The very moment any topic turns slightly intelligent or deviates slightly from structured talk about masturbating to ponies or chinese cartoons, they cry foul about pol.

these whiny 15 year olds are ruining the board.
>>
Hey, nice thread. Question: I'm a balding so I shave my head completely. Will I have trouble getting jobs? Or should I try to get a toupee or something?

I had some problems in China because a lot of the employers thought I looked too intimidating or "serious" for the kids.
>>
I'm considering doing it in Turkey.

What's it like there?
>>
Just in case anyone wants to do it, never be a university lecturer in France... never
>>
File: ippo.jpg (921KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ippo.jpg
921KB, 1024x768px
This thread seemed to go to shit but I may as well ask here.

I have a teaching job coming up. I could have taught in Canada or wherever but I wanted to travel a bit and Thailand was up there. Plus it counts towards my years of experience once I come back anyways which means higher pay once I get home.

Job pays around 50k a month in Bangkok. Get to teach Math and stuff. Anyone have any experience with gyms around there, also been interested in boxing.

Also anything else that would be some good tips?
>>
>>935525

Also how much could I expect to even spend?

Keep in mind I am pretty simple. My weekdays are probably going to go

>run in morning
>workout
>grab food
>go to school
>grab a shit ton more food
>maybe a bit more
>chill/box/whatever
>pass out
>>
>>935493
why not?
>>
>>935526
sounds like you wuld be spending nothing food is super cheap in thailand if you eat street food don't eat at western food places unless you just have extra cash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-fyexj98rI&index=6&list=PL74612B0AE252BF41
this is one dollar this dude has tons of vids here is the playlist for thai food also if you check out his sit it's got tons of tips and info on costs
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL74612B0AE252BF41

most nice apartments have a gym although they are sort of small
>>
>>935530

CHICKEN AND RICE BASED AS FUCK.

But seriously I would be so cool with shit like that.

I know the school sets us up with some nice apartments, has a pool. I just need a gym for

>muh deadlifts
>muh squats

But thanks for the link.
>>
>>935531
No problem man I also have a link to cost of living guides for teachers if you want them. it's actually from a site linked earlier in this thread.

http://www.ajarn.com/help-and-guides/cost-of-living/archives
>>
>>935532

Definitely come across that before and it has been a good help.

Thanks, just trying to grab as much info as I can. Helps me get more comfortable. Found this as well.

http://afarangabroad.com/
>>
Can you do tefl long term?Whats stopping me from doing a different one every year or the same one ?
>>
>>935788
almost nothing, you can hop around or stay in the same place for years if you so please i mean as long as they will have you. Most countries really need teachers others like swapping out but for the most part it's the former
>>
Does anyone have experience TEFL or teaching in International Schools in the Middle East?
>>
hey I was wondering if an online tefl cetificate is enough for me to start teaching I'm korea or japan or even cambodia thanks
>>
Thailand, Korea, or China

What is the best place to teach? I'd like to be saving some money to pay back student loans as well
>>
So in reading this thread, I know Japan is a point of contention, but if I wanted to get a public school job there, what would be some positive credentials? I'm about to finish up my Bachelor's and am planning on getting my Master's before teaching abroad. Do they want a specific teaching degree and/or an ESL certificate? I'd like to teach somewhere in the country away from the big cities (like maybe around Kyoto or somewhere on Kyushu) and by no means am I going with JET. Not a weeb, just want to explore some of that countryside.

Also, is student debt easy to handle while teaching? I have relatively little compared to the average American (10,00ish), but should I pay it off first before I go?
>>
>>935847
Purely financial reasons S. Korea is prob your best bet.
>>
What course did everyone do?Did anyone do this one? http://www.onlinetefl.com/
>>
>>935847
Hong kong, korea and united arab emirates pay the highest.

They are also tougher gigs which is why they pay more.
>>
>>935851
Google ALT jobs japan. You will find answers there.

It is possible to save and pay off debts but tht depends on how gd you are at budgetting and many other factors.

You probably wont be able to do it since you couldnt google the salary and do the math
>>
>>935971
Online certs for language teaching are garbage, they're junk, they're an oxymoron. Any employer worth their salt knows it. The only places who'd hire you with one would just as easily accept a forged cert.
>>
>>935975

Do you have some insight into Hong Kong? Anything would be helpful!
>>
>>935069
>I'm in China, I'm also considering Vietnam next year

That's funny because I wanted to go to China and wound up in Vietnam instead. Working 20 hours a week minimum at $15 per hour.
>>
do you need to show a college diploma in thailand korea or cambodia? also does a tefl online certificate qualify in those countries as well
>>
>>937463

You need a bachelor's degree in Korea for sure. They do thorough backgrounds and require a degree to be notarized.

Thailand and Cambodia, no
>>
>>937493
Depends on the school. You can find some shit school that doesn't pay that well where you can pass forged stuff, but you need to be legit for the legit jobs.
>>
>>934208
Did you have to go through uni?
If not did you just go to a specialized place to get certification?
>>
>>936510
>insight into Hong Kong
A majority of the population is fluent in English. If you want an English teaching job as a foreigner you'll either need to be lucky and qualified or have a PhD and teach at a university.
>>
so in korea they call your colleges to check up on you? I don't get why they would do a background check on you if you're showing alllthe proper docu. plus I doubt all schools nd hagwons do it
>>
>>937566
Go to helpx.com. I remember quite a few places looking for teachers or assistants in Asia with no experience outside being NE in small villages and such
>>
Any chance of getting jobs as an english teacher if you're not from a english speaking country?
>>
So here is the time line I've tried to plan for the next 9 months.

TEFL - March '15 (100 hrs online X 20 hrs face to face).

Thailand/Cambodia/Lao/Vietnam - June>September '15

Move to South Korea (hopefully Seoul) to teach English - September '15

Is this achievable? I've got a full time job so money will be there to travel with. I'm just a bit confused as to how long it can take to sort out a good teaching gig in South Korea? I have from March till June to find something.

How rare are these paid for flights to SK? Is this something they would arrange with me from SE Asia as I don't really want to travel back to the UK and then have to fly back over.

Cheers
>>
>>937726
I'd like to know this aswell
>>
>>937726
No. But there are otherlanguages taught, if you speak English.
>>
>>937726
>>937781
You won't get a job in Japan, Korea, and probably Taiwan but you can easily find jobs in SEA and China. It's just that you'll probably have to be satisfied with living in a 2nd tier city and you have to still get some qualification such as TEFL cert. Priority will almost always be given to those from English speaking countries but I have seen plenty of people mention online that they teach English with it not being their first or native tongue. If you speak another language such as Spanish or French or German you could find tutoring jobs as well.
>>
File: 9O8TYbj.jpg (312KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
9O8TYbj.jpg
312KB, 2400x1800px
JET just announced their interview list, I got an interview! Any advice? How do I answer the inevitable "what is your greatest weakness" and"what is something unique that only you will bring to our program" questions?
>>
File: neet2.jpg (157KB, 1000x793px) Image search: [Google]
neet2.jpg
157KB, 1000x793px
>>937921
Well I didn't get an interview for the JET program and I will probably focus all my energy on getting a job in the US and never apply to JET again.

Can everyone who applied for JET tell me what qualifications they have and GPA, and if they did or didn't get an interview? I need this information to see if I feel like going through the trouble of applying again in 2015 or not.

I had pretty terrible qualifications. 2.2 GPA. BA in Anthropology from UCSB. 5 years unemployed. My only "employment" is starting my own home business on Amazon and 2 months as a basketball referee.

I most likely won't apply again in 2015 because of all the time and money it cost getting all the things together for the application. I think my GPA history pretty much bars me from getting into the JET program.
>>
File: 95f.jpg (183KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
95f.jpg
183KB, 500x500px
>>934925
>>
>>937932
3.1 GPA at top 30 US school, 2 BA's in Econ/Intl Relations, 3 months in-class teaching experience, previous summer camp teaching experience, 2 TEFL certs. BUT I also have an MIP charge that was cleared but I still had to declare it (thought I'd fucked myself with this one).

Condolences, you sure you don't want to apply for private schools like Aeon, ECC?
>>
>>934925
>posted from a country made rich from those wars, on a computer made from electrical components mined in countries subjugated by the very violence anon is speaking out against

Keep biting that hand that's feeding you, bro. Your latte doesn't make itself, so to speak.
>>
>>937956
Yes I could apply to AEON or another company. I live in Northern California so there are upcoming San Francisco interview dates.

But I'm getting pretty sick of waiting around and submitting stuff.
>>
>>937965
>>937932

Here is another opportunity to work in Japn and Korea if you are American:

http://www.dodea.edu/Pacific/offices/HR/pacVacancies.cfm
>>
>>937932
I didnt get an interview either, but I thought I had pretty good qualifications/ 3.6 GPA, BA in history, aspiring teacher with a majority of teaching tests done. Currently work at a high school in the office and I still didn't get an interview. I think they look for people with interest in Japan over teachers.
>>
>>937932
>I think my GPA history pretty much bars me from getting into the JET program
And quite a lot else. You have a shitty resume. Why are you even surprised you didn't make the cut?
>>
>>937987
>they look for people with interest in Japan over teachers.
I can confirm this. They select for weebs and other Japlovers because are the only ones that will put up with the shite conditions of the JET program
>>
File: eggs.jpg (93KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
eggs.jpg
93KB, 640x800px
>>937991
I never said I was surprised. I'm not surprised that I didn't make it at all, I'm just disappointed and realize that its just time for me to focus on technical support inside the US instead of trying to get a TEFL job.

>>937992
I'm not a weeb, but my cover letter did say that I already spent 4 months in Japan, I have Japanese relatives on my mother's side, and I did give them a story about how "Japanese" my trip to Hawaii felt.
>>
>>938036
>I have Japanese relatives on my mother's side
Unfortunately the JET program also discriminates in favour of white candidates because they look better to employers. Its a shit program overall and you shouldn't give up on TEFL in Japan, if that's your ambition, just because you didn't make the cut.
Take a CELTA or TESOL certification course in the US (in person in a classroom, no online bullshit), make your resume look as good as possible, and start cruising through online ESL job boards like eslcafe. If you have balls and Japanese language skills then fly to Japan right after completing your TESOL, rent a room in a gaijin house, slap on a suit and start trying to find a job the old fashioned way. It works.
>>
>>937992
The point of the JET program isn't to teach English. It's a cultural exchange program first and foremost. If you're not interested in Japanese culture, you have no place there.

The conditions are hardly "shite" as it's more of a paid vacation than anything else. Bitter you weren't offered an interview, anon?
>>
>>938110
>Bitter you weren't offered an interview, anon?
Lel no, I did as I outlined here >>938039 and just got a real job in Japan that paid far better than JET. JET is hardly a paid vacation from what I've heard from people who’ve done it.
>>
>>934276
Try interac for Japan. They r basically a middle man for jet. The pay less. 2,300 to jets 3,000 a month no plane ticket, but they make it real easy to get to japan. There is also peppy kids. Similar pay.
>>
>>934606
I love that guy. He taught me a lot of japanese. He's soooooooooo far from the biggest weebo. He drinks alcohol and has a wife. That puts him in a league above so many cringier tea-only wee os
>>
>>935341
For the cheapest tefl google tefl and groupon. Buy it. Use it. Learn nothing but get jobs easier. Getting an extra 100 bucks a month in Korea from a 70sh tefl. Lol
>>
File: Expediton Everest 006.jpg (67KB, 480x307px) Image search: [Google]
Expediton Everest 006.jpg
67KB, 480x307px
What are things you should never send to an employer, whether fake or reputable? I usually send out my resume, degree photocopy, tefl photocopy, current picture..
>>
Whats the chances of finding a very attractive Korean gf in Seoul?

24, Male, British here.
>>
>>938214
None, because Koreans aren't attractive.
>>
>>938225

White women aren't attractive.
>>
>>938227
I agree.
>>
>>938227
Especially the British ones
>>
>>938214
if you are attracted to Korean girls it really shouldn't be that hard it will be much easier than trying to date a Japanese girl.
>>
>>938201

nude pics
>>
If any one has zero credentials and wants to teach in Thailand for room and board. You don't even have to be NES, just know English.
http://www.helpx.net/host.asp?hostID=13539&network=9
>>
>>938383
Looking through the site there are bunch of volunteer English teaching jobs for those looking for experience or just free lodging/working vacation
>>
Is CELTA necessary to get a god job, especially in Europe?

I want to teach at least 1 year in Europe, realize I won't make much money but I've wanted to live there and should have in college. Should I teach in Asia before hand?

What are some good spots in Asia with a good night life for a young white male such as myself?

Thanks for any help.
>>
Does anyone know any good (not online) TEFL programs in Asia (China, SE Asia) that don't cost a lot and aren't geared towards partying/ work-travel foreigners? I actually want to get a cert so that I can teach and support myself in China while pursuing other career goals. I don't want to have to pay out the ass to fly back to the US to do it.

I actually want to learn how to teach so I can do a good job. I want to work with middle/high schoolers. I'm female and I don't want to get stuck with a passel of clingy 5 yr olds just because "women are good with children". I have 0 maternal instinct.
>>
>>938467
>I have 0 maternal instinct.

That's pretty much the main appeal of hiring females though. They may as well employ a male then.
>>
>>938467
Here's a list of some in Thailand. :
http://www.ajarn.com/tefl-tesol-training-courses/

Though the legit, high paying, schools will take any major CERT the ones you hear name dropped the most are:

SEE TEFL [Chiang Mai]
Chichester College TESOL (TEFL/TESL) [UK School-Bangkok]
Chiang Mai University TEFL
>>
>>938383
>>938389
You have to be pretty fucking desperate to do that. Then, it's not about the teaching, but about doing some voluntourism bullshit.

>>938390
>Is CELTA necessary to get a god job, especially in Europe?
Not necessarily, but it will open doors.

Asian experience is considered garbage in Europe, because what you do in Asia is seldom real teaching. Clowning around for children too young to even speak their own language properly is not teaching. Do it if you want to live in Asia, but not if you think it will do anything for you in Europe. It'll get you minimum-wage in private language schools, that's about it.

>>938467
I'd look into Hong Kong or Singapore, which actually have some English competency.
> passel
What year is this, 1870?
>>
>>938506
Aren't TEFL jobs hard to come by for Americans in Europe? I've heard it's a non-starter.
>>
How many Japanese Eikaiwa drug test?I know interac does. I only occasionally smoke weed and am more than happy to stop if any of them require it. Just need a little forewarning.
>>
>>938483

Most teachers are still female anyway, I don't get what you're going on about. A female with TEFL cert is better than some random male laowai off the street.

I do well with middle schoolers (private tutoring). I hate small children. They're disgusting sticky little emperors.
>>
File: 5.jpg (137KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
137KB, 960x720px
>>934584
Non-whites have it tougher for sure.
Blacks have it really tough.
For brown people, they dislike Indians.

So I'm kind of in a weird zone as I am mexican american and look "Thai," to them. I don't "look," american to them, but I am also pretty "handsome," by their own words and they warm up to me pretty quickly. So if you can't be white, don't be ugly also.

One piece of advice I will give is, don't ignore Thai men, especially older ones. If you are able to make male Thai friends, you will get introduced to a world of middle to high class girls you would otherwise never have access to. This is only if you want to meet wife material though, if you mess around to much at this level you will get stabbed and/or your dick will literally get chopped off.
>>
File: 1416918967403.jpg (93KB, 677x631px) Image search: [Google]
1416918967403.jpg
93KB, 677x631px
>>937932
>Have Japanese language and English Bachelors, teaching experience and TESOL
>Recommendation from respected Japanese teacher at my university
>Sent the health and police checks in early
>Selected early entry in possible
>I still didn't get an interview

JET wants people with no experience or knowledge about Japan. I also think it is about physical appearances as well.

A lot of women who can't speak any Japanese and have no qualifications get accepted with the JET program.
>>
File: imfine.jpg (190KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
imfine.jpg
190KB, 442x650px
>>938594
I actually have little idea about who they actually take.

One of my friends (Jewish male) got in, he's a total weaboo and majored in Japanese and Chinese language and history.

Another of my friends got in and he's a fruity bisexual black with not much interest in Japan.

I think its easier to get into Korean schools than into the JET program. Most Korean schools hire from Dave's ESL Cafe without any special certifications.

I don't really care much about Korean language and culture though, it doesn't look like I'd enjoy teaching in Korea or China all that much, and the pay isn't that great either.

I probably will have to give up on attempting to teach in a foreign country. I have no desire to spend all the time and money on a TEFL certification, and I'm sick of sending in forms and playing the waiting game.
>>
>>938581
That's if you fuck around on a Thai chick period. It doesn't matter the level. I've seen a Thai chick split a dude head open with a chair when she caught him with another women. I've seen them try to kick down doors. Throw shit. I follow a lot of Thai video cip sights and I've noticed just about exclusively any fight they show is among females. Thai women are definitely more fierce than the man, and they are so loyal, I guess they don't take getting fucked around on lightly.
>>
>>938581
Where do you teach? I imagine blacks have less of an issue in the metro than rural areas. Because I do know of several black teachers in BKK. Though one guy, Dwight Turner, was told he would not get hired at his first interview in 2008 because he'd "scare the children", but he found work and now even has his own NPO

http://insearchofsanuk.com/
>>
>>938674
I would rather teach in a city anyhow like BKK or Chiang mai(although this one seems to not actually have any jobs )
>>938581
I'm very good looking just short so maybe that will make me less intimidating as a medium brown skin tone guy
I know SEA people who have mistaken me as one of them so I might have a similar experience
>>
Sup teflfags. DELTA qualified here. Shits cash when you work for 2 months as Course Director at summe camp in UK then live in PL/UKR for the rest of year.
>>
>>938514
Quite a few Americans out here. Need CELTA tho. And you might be working illegally.
>>
>>938581
>>938643
This is Chinese but it reminded me of this:

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/woman-cuts-cheating-husbands-penis-twice/904609/
>>
I wanna do 10-12 weeks in SE Asia before I start a teaching job in Seoul.

I'm thinking of going in late June/July depending on how much I save.

Including flights, how much would I need to save to have a good time? I'm gonna go alone so I won't be getting wasted every night.

Hopefully gonna have £3000 ($4500) + flight money.
>>
>>938827
Ps. 25 and male
>>
>>938767
how's the quality of life in Poland vs UK
do you live in a big city?
>>
>>938827
are gonna work in seasia or just have fun?
You can live off of $800-$1000 comfortably or live like a Thai on $200 a month
if you want to work 6 month contracts are available
the cheapest time in Thailand is February -June
so you will catch the end of the low season
>>
>>938255
Shit
>>
Will TEFL crash before September?
Thread posts: 239
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.