[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cycled from the northernmost point of Europe to the southernmost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 39

File: n-s-trv.jpg (501KB, 1329x1884px) Image search: [Google]
n-s-trv.jpg
501KB, 1329x1884px
Cycled from the northernmost point of Europe to the southernmost point of Africa in 2011-2012.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>913350

Where are you from?

What was Syria like before the civil war?

What was the best experience?
>>
>>913356
> Where are you from?

Poland

> What was Syria like before the civil war?

One of the most hospitable places in the world, same league as Iran. Great people, not much of landscape, huge heaps of waste along roads.

I crossed Syria in Oct-Nov 2011, so technically speaking the war was already ongoing (fights in Homs, FSA being formed). Situation was very tense, I was checked my military many times, including total inspection of baggage.

> What was the best experience?

Hard to point at one, but here are some highlights:

Being invited by a local family to their home, while cycling in the night and in rain through countryside in Syria.

Riding alone across Sahara, sleeping under stars.

Paradise-like scenery and tranquility of countryside on Mount Elgon slopes, in Uganda.
>>
What was the most dangerous situation you got in?
>>
>>913364
Being robbed at gunpoint in Egypt. However, I think I was closer to death a couple of times in the traffic.
>>
Time, budget, why bike?
>>
>>913366
how did you get out of the robbery situation
>>
>>913367
> Time,

19 months

> budget,

About 6k EUR for food, accommodation, visas, tickets and other expenses on the road. Doesn't include equipment.

> why bike?

To see the countryside.
To travel in natural pace.
To be independent.
To get easier in contact with locals (don't look like all these tourists that have passed today).
To save money.
>>
>>913373
Just emptied my pockets. They didn't touch the bike. Lost bank cards, gps receiver, multitool, jacket and some spare change. Not bad result I think.
>>
>>913374
>Doesn't include equipment.

Speaking of which, what did you travel with? Tent? Or just the bike and a backpack?
>>
>>913374
>don't look like all these tourists that have passed today

real traveller confirmed.
>>
>>913376

fucking disgusting Arabs.
>>
>>913379
Cycling with backpack would be a nightmare. I carried 4 panniers and 2 bags. Pic related.

I had a tent and slept most of the nights camping wild.
>>
>>913381
> fucking disgusting Arabs

Other Arabs invited me home, shared food and helped hundreds of times on the way. I feel pretty safe in Arab countries despite this and other bad adventures which can happen virtually anywhere.
>>
Any borders that were difficult to cross? Where did you have a hard time getting a visa?
>>
>>913376

How did the situation occur? And how did you get around without bank cards?

Why didn't they jack your passport?
>>
>>913385
that looks pretty sweet! How much was the bike and the whole equipment?

What did you do with the bike when you went to a city to explore? (Assuming you did that). Did you just lock it up somewhere? Also what kind of streets did you bike on?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions
>>
>>913388
Didn't get a visa to Mozambique. Otherwise it was quite easy.

Only for Syria I had to pre-arrange and get it back in Poland. That was also the only border where I was thoroughly questioned and had the baggage carefully inspected, due to the situation in the country.
>>
>>913389
Fortunately I had the passport deep in the baggage.

Situation was surreal. Middle of desert, exactly at noon, a lone pickup overtook me, stopped, guys took out a gun and demanded money.
>>
>>913361
>One of the most hospitable places in the world, same league as Iran

Oh my god, not this shit again. You're pretty ignorant aren't you OP?
>>
File: DSC01414.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01414.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>913350
Just lurking the thread. No real Questions. But dude you must be fit as hell after that trip.
>>
>>913391
About 30kg of baggage, some 17kg of the bike, up to 12l of water on top of that.

In cities I used to sleep in hostels or by CouchSurfing/WarmShowers. Also some people invited me. Always cared to leave the bike in a safe (trusted or locked) place.

Cycled on every kind of streets in every kind of traffic. For example, crossing Cairo took me one full day. Getting to Bosphorus from Istanbul outskirts was also one day.
>>
>>913394
Oh my god, not this shit again. You come to shitpost on every good thread there is. What sort of pathetic nobody must you be to have nothing else in life than shitpost on good threads?

Get the fuck out. Never come back. You're not wanted here.
>>
>>913394
> Oh my god, not this shit again. You're pretty ignorant aren't you OP?

What do you mean, wise guy?
>>
>>913398

Every time some person comes back from Iran they say "they're so nice!" "The country is not as bad as they say"

GTFO
>>
>>913393

Sounds messed up. How did you get new credit cards?

>>913397

Just don't reply. It almost derailed the last thread. Ignore it
>>
>>913401
I wonder why that guy is so hateful of everything Iran. Anyway, people, ignore and report the serial shitposter. Examples of previous faggotry:

http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/907864/#q909212
>>
how did you cross the sahara on a bike?
>>
>>913404
Google for "western desert route". It links 4 oases in Egypt and goes far away from the overcrowded Nile Valley. It's a paved road but not very frequented and offers solitude. Pic related.
>>
>>913413
How was the temperature while crossing the desert? Was it hot as hell during the day and chilly during the night?
>>
>>913416
In Egyptian Sahara it was pretty good. Some 25°C during the day, down to 1-2°C overnight. In Sudan the noon temperatures reached unbearable levels of some 35-40°C and I had to pause for a kind of siesta (and did it often in the rest of Africa).

On the other hand, on Sinai and in Jordan nights were cold as hell due to altitude. I suffered in summer sleeping bag but it was a question of only a couple of nights.

The night on the photo was like -5°C.
>>
No questions here, but lurking. Please share as many pics and stories as you want
>>
Regarding the desert and temperatures - this is how you survive the noon hours in Sudan.
>>
>>913400
>How dare they call those beasts human! Don't they know that Iran wants to drive Israel into the sea?? Oy gevalt!!
>>
How many people were you? Did you do any parts alone?
>>
>>913431
I did about 60% of the distance alone. Some of my cycling partners had planned to join before, some I met on the road. Biggest group was 5, only for two days.
>>
>>913435

How old are you?
>>
>>913437
Started exactly a month after my 30th birthday.
>>
>>913428

They do though?
>>
Thats really cool, OP
Post more pics
>>
At the beginning. Cape Knivskjelodden, Norway.
>>
At the end. Cape Agulhas, South Africa
>>
What's the longest distance you went between two towns (or shops)?

Also how did you handle being alone most of the time?
>>
Somewhere in central Turkey, beginning of autumn.
>>
>>913453
> What's the longest distance you went between two towns (or shops)?

About 5 days. That was my average time of cycling between oases in Sahara.

> Also how did you handle being alone most of the time?

What do you mean? I feel very well alone, even for longer time. Also I met a lot of people on the way. If you mean that I had no real friend or any other emotionally attached person around for longer periods of time — yes, it was unpleasant sometimes, but not enough to say that I suffered.
>>
How not to get crazy when cycling against wind in flat, boring desert.
>>
>>913456
how the fuck did you flip the pages?
>>
>>913454
How much weight did you lose?

Did you use all 6000 euros?

Are you planning anything like it in the future?

You have my respect for completing that journey by the way.
>>
>>913350

Did you get sores? Chafing? From being on a bike seat for a year?
>>
wasn't it a pain in the ass to cycle uphill?
did you ever need to call for help? repairs, doctor...
what about wildlife?
>>
how'd you get back home?
>>
Czesc OP, I remember the last time you posted a thread about this. Are you planning on going anywhere else like this? If you're heading to Canada you're welcome to stay at my house in Vancouver.

Anywho, were you in good shape before starting this? Were there any special training regiments that you went through? Did you bike a lot before going on this trip?

If I recall correctly you mentioned last time that you do some work online or in IT. Are you able to live the 4-hour work week or be completely location independent?
>>
Cool trip OP. Did you get laid often? Also, tell a funny story please.
>>
>>913350

Man I love the recent influx of people with phenomenal travels. Welcome to the pantheon of greats OP. /

What was Ethopia like?
>>
Fuck you OP

I just got back from my first bike tour Sweden-Istanbul which is nothing compared to yours, but I'm planning on biking to Australia next year and now I got all excited and cant sleep
>>
>>913576

>biking to an island
>>
Hey OP.

I am going to be doing a trip doing the entire span of NZ. I have done zero training or preparation. From a scale of 1- 10 how fucked am I, and what tips can you give me?
>>
>>913580

Biking to Singapore, taking flight to Darwin and then biking down to Sydney.

>hurr durr
>>
>>913583
How many wicked ass hills will you have to climb once you reach the south island? I imagine the north island is pretty easy. Lots of places to sleep and eat and such.
>>
>>913580
It works if you pedal really really fast
>>
>>913626

>>>/x/
>>
Hey Op, about sleeping in the desert, were there any snakes, any scorpions or stuff? I'm interested in camping out in the Sahara. Any tips are appreciated
>>
If you should drive through Luxembourg, I'm sure we will find a way how you can stay a few days in our house to rest.
>>
Great trip, OP, makes me jealous.
What were the most difficult places to ride ?
What's the longest time you've been on your bike without putting a foot to the ground ?
Is there any place that you regret you haven't been to ?
In which country were locals the nicest ?
Any trip like that planned in the future ?
>>
>>913451
pls be in sor-trondelag
>>
>>913457
He reads very, very slowly
>>
Had you biked much beforehand?
How many kms would you average a day at the beginning? At the end?
How did you deal with ass pain from the bicycle seat?
>>
How many years of cycling experience did you have before traveling? how did you train for this adventure? Like, what programs were you doing, weekly mileage etc.

this sounds fucking awesome
>>
how many spare tubes did you take with you? werent you scared in the middle of the desert that you get a puncture without a spare tube?
>>
>>913350

Awesome trip OP.
Nice pictures.
I'm glad the robbers didn't just take all of your stuff, considering they could've just taken the bikes.
>>
so i made a post a bit ago asking if anyone had some suggestions for me, ive been traveling for a month and im tired of the city, so i was thinking of getting a bike when im in Italy and going from Naples to Florence or so. I'm traveling for 2 more months, so i have time to kill. do you have any recommendations for prep i may need to do? any wisdom is appreciated
>>
Did you take the bike as well to go from Poland to Hammerfest/North Cape?
>>
How many extra tubes did you carry? What was the scariest moment?
>>
>>913465
> How much weight did you lose?

The max loss I measured was 10kg, however there was a moment when I was even thinner but couldn't measure it.

> Did you use all 6000 euros?

Well, I'm talking about the amount I spent.

> Are you planning anything like it in the future?

Very likely, but no clear plans yet.

>>913469
> Did you get sores? Chafing? From being on a bike seat for a year?

No more than after a week on a bike. The ass gets used to it pretty quickly. And I rode most of the distance on a cheap foam saddle.

>>913472
> wasn't it a pain in the ass to cycle uphill?

No. I actually enjoyed mountains the most. Romania, Turkey and Jordan are excellent places for cycling because of these up- and downhills.

> did you ever need to call for help? repairs, doctor...

I called my family a couple of times to organize delivery of important parts and replacements for the stolen items.

> what about wildlife?

Not much of it. Since Turkey people often warned me about snakes but I met the first one in South Africa.

In Uganda we camped right in the middle of a National Park and that was quite scary night, including a visit of lions. Otherwise I saw plenty of elephants, giraffes, zebras, warthogs. Haven't seen a hippo or crocodile, which is strange (and no elks in Finland!)

>>913484
> how'd you get back home?

I flew from Cape Town. Didn't tell my family and arrived by surprise 3 days before Christmas.

>>913525
> Were there any special training regiments that you went through? Did you bike a lot before going on this trip?

No training is needed at all. You'll get in shape on the road. The only difference is your daily distance on the beginning. Beginners will do 40km and feel tired, fit ppl will easily make 120km. After a month there will be no difference between them.

And yes, I had cycled quite a lot before. Commuted by bike all year round, but no longer trips.
>>
>>913525
> If I recall correctly you mentioned last time that you do some work online or in IT. Are you able to live the 4-hour work week or be completely location independent?

Well, that wasn't me if you read a thread about similar journey here.

However, yes, I work in IT. And no, I couldn't work while travelling. That would be neither good work nor a good travel.

>>913533
> Did you get laid often?

No.

>>913562
> What was Ethopia like?

It is the only country I don't want to visit again, at least not on a bike.

>>913576
> I just got back from my first bike tour Sweden-Istanbul which is nothing compared to yours

This is actually a great journey and, no matter which route you had taken, must have been beautiful.

>>913583
> I am going to be doing a trip doing the entire span of NZ. I have done zero training or preparation. From a scale of 1- 10 how fucked am I, and what tips can you give me?

If you're healthy and know how to ride a bike, you will make it. Just plan a realistic daily distances. Definitely no more than 60km and 1000m ascent for the first day, then you'll see.

>>913649
>in the desert, were there any snakes, any scorpions or stuff? I'm interested in camping out in the Sahara. Any tips are appreciated

Desert is desert is a desert. It is dead. No snakes, no scorpions, no fuel to make fire. This changes totally if you are not in a real desert but close to water. Sand is safe, rocks are too. Take care to have enough water, some food, warm clothes and sunglasses.

>>913682
>What were the most difficult places to ride ?

Ethiopia. Mountainous, very limited food (no candies or bananas to give an energy kick) and a lot of unfriendly people.

In terms of terrain there were parts of Turkey and Ukraine which exhausted me more physically. Also norther Kenya is difficult - unpaved roads, no shade and real possibility of being attacked by bandits or animals.
>>
>>913682
> What's the longest time you've been on your bike without putting a foot to the ground ?

Never measured that, but probably no more than 1-2h. I carried water in ordinary PET bottles, so I had to stop to drink.

> Is there any place that you regret you haven't been to ?

Yes. Skipped Meroe in Sudan, didn't go to Mozambique because I was refused a visa, and also skipped Namibia before I was too late and summer was coming. Also regret not climbing some mountains on the way.

> In which country were locals the nicest ?

Syria, Turkey, Sudan was the top, in that order.

>>913708
> How many kms would you average a day at the beginning? At the end?

My overall average was 52km/day. Excluding rest days it was about 70km/day. It did not increase much, because I had been quite fit already and started with 100km+ distances in Norway. My daily record was 193km from around Krak des Chevaliers to Palmyra in Syria.

>>913711
>How many years of cycling experience did you have before traveling?

One week if you mean travelling on a bike before. Seriously.

>>913713
>how many spare tubes did you take with you? werent you scared in the middle of the desert that you get a puncture without a spare tube?

Used to carry two spares and a bunch of patches. Sometimes patched it 5 times a day.

>>913799
>Did you take the bike as well to go from Poland to Hammerfest/North Cape?

I had flown to Alta, then cycled the remaining ~200km north.

>>913801
>What was the scariest moment?

Seeing a gun pointed at me.
>>
>>913385
you camped in the wild in africa? weren't you scared of lions?
>>
>>913807
Did people ever throw rocks at you? I've heard that's a thing that can happen.
>>
>>913809
> you camped in the wild in africa? weren't you scared of lions?

Slept in the wild hundreds of nights. Never heard about anyone being pulled out from a tent by a lion.
>>
>>913816
>Did people ever throw rocks at you? I've heard that's a thing that can happen.

That happened many times, actually. Mostly in Etiopia, which is famous among cyclists for its' stone-throwing beggars.
>>
Why weren't you having sex? Also, where did you stay the longest? Did you often find somewhere that you liked and settle down for a while?
>>
File: sanic.png (41KB, 773x536px) Image search: [Google]
sanic.png
41KB, 773x536px
>>913626
>>
I've done a part of the trans am, and i went own the west coast. It was dooope. Looking for something to do in europe. What do you suggest? For bike packing that is
>>
>>913583
No way to plan for a bike tour. Just make sure you're comfortable on a bike.
>>
>>913805
>I called my family a couple of times to organize delivery of important parts and replacements for the stolen items.

Could you explain in detail how you arranged this and what happened?

Thanks OP you're a cool dude
>>
OP, what exactly did you eat on the road? Did you keep buying a lot of canned goods along the way? What about for cooking, did you have a camping stove of any kind? How often would you eat in a day? Did you bring along like a big bag of oats or some other grain and just cook a big batch up ever morning?

What was your favourite food you ate long the way?
>>
how did you get in touch with the locals and do most of them speak english?
>>
>>913350
Sorry to destroy your achievement OP, but the northernmost point of Europe is Svalbard.
>>
>>913393
What language did they speak? Did you understand what exactly they wanted?
>>
>>913871
Not continental Europe.
>>
OP

Were there any days you didn't bike and just roamed around the area you were in?

Also, how satisfying was that final day and realizing you had arrived?
>>
>>913871
we're obviously talking continental / contiguous Europe, friend
>>
>>913808
>One week if you mean travelling on a bike before. Seriously.
damn dude, that's insane. But I meant like how many years have you been training on a bike (for fitness etc.), not how much time you have spent traveling on it. I'm in decent shape but I just wanna get a rough estimate on how much I would need to train before attempting something like this
>>
>>913829

Top kek
>>
What country ahd the least friendly people?

Was it Ethiopia?
>>
>>913828
> Why weren't you having sex?

I've been in a relationship, however distant.
It would be pretty easy to get laid in central and southern Africa, but I'm also pretty scared of HIV.

> Also, where did you stay the longest?

About 3 months in Egypt, including one month of break from cycling.

> Did you often find somewhere that you liked and settle down for a while?

There are some places I'd like to visit again and stay for longer. The first one was Syria, where I'd wish to live and learn Arabic, but that seems impossible now. On the other hand, Norway, Finland and South Africa seemed interesting and could offer job opportunities.
>>
>>913839
> Looking for something to do in europe. What do you suggest?

Europe is quite diverse and it depends on what you want to do. I personally would like to visit western Balkan states on a bike, because they offer wonderful mountains, relaxed atmosphere and low prices. Alps are also famous for their cycling routes, as well as Norway or Spain do, but that requires higher budget.
>>
>>913851
> Could you explain in detail how you arranged this and what happened?

I had some of my things stolen - bank cards and electronics. By a network of friends we organized a package being brought to Ethiopia by a Polish journalist coming there for business.
>>
>>913868
> OP, what exactly did you eat on the road? Did you keep buying a lot of canned goods along the way?

Usually it was rice with something. Tomato, peanuts, canned fish. I carried food for the next day or two only. On Sahara,in northern Scandinavia, and in few other desolate areas I made more reserves.

Also I visited roadside restaurants quite often once I had left Europe and prices became acceptable. Middle East was the best area in that matter - cheap and delicious.

> What about for cooking, did you have a camping stove of any kind?

Yes. I had a multifuel stove which ran mostly on gasoline, sometimes on kerosene. That was one of the most important pieces of equipment.

> How often would you eat in a day?

Usually three big meals, some snacks or fruits in between.

>Did you bring along like a big bag of oats or some other grain and just cook a big batch up ever morning?

Very seldom. The mid-day break for cooking was always a good time to rest from cycling. The same in the evenings when I used to make a few cups of tea to rehydrate myself.
>>
>>913870
>how did you get in touch with the locals and do most of them speak english?

Many people did speak English, and I travelled across former British colonies in Africa, which made things easier.

There were, however, places where almost no one spoke English. Turkey comes to my mind as prime example. There I had to learn the language. Usually the order of words I intended to memorize was:

1) thank you
2) hello
3) numbers
4) names of foods
5) introduction of what I'm doing

Unfortunately, I forgot most of these words. Only Arabic remained somehow in my memory, as I'm quite interested to learn it and I spent 4 months in lands where ppl speak it.
>>
>>913871
>>913886
>>913910

To be precise, Nordkapp and Knivskjelodden are not the northernmost points of continental Europe, as they are located on as island called Mageroya.

If you want precise definition, I started from the northernmost point reachable by land transport. Mageroya is connected with the continent through an underwater tunnel which I cycled through.
>>
>>913875
> What language did they speak? Did you understand what exactly they wanted?

They spoke Arabic, which I already understood well enough not to have any doubt what was happening. First they demanded money (fluss). Once they got my wallet, they told me to give them the phone (hatif). Perhaps they did not want the phone itself but intended to slow me down with contacting police.
>>
Sweden-Istanbul guy here. I'm making a trip report thread soon too. This board need more bicycle touring!
>>
>>913900
>Were there any days you didn't bike and just roamed around the area you were in?

Yes, but not much. I backpacked a bit in Egypt just to get convinced again about the superiority of bicycle travels. Usually if I stayed in some place, I didn't move further than to the nearest beach and shop. Seriously, eating and sleeping become top pleasures after months of everyday physical effort.

>Also, how satisfying was that final day and realizing you had arrived?

It was great, I felt accomplishment and happiness. However, instantly after that I realized how incredibly tired I was. For three days I ate and slept, then even didn't make it on a bike to Cape Town itself.
>>
>>913912
>how many years have you been training on a bike (for fitness etc.)

I never cycled for sports, only used the bike as a mean of transport within the city. Commuted all year round, with my longest round-trip to work and back being about 28km long for a couple of months.

The first time I left on a bike and didn't return home the same day was about 8 months before the journey. Just to see if I would like it, I left for one-week trip. I knew instantly I would and only reprimanded myself for not having discovered that before.

I said it already but repeat: for bike touring you don't have to be in a good shape. You'll get it on the road.
>>
>>913947
>What country ahd the least friendly people?
>Was it Ethiopia?

Generally speaking, yes. There was quite a lot of hostility and almost zero hospitality from the locals. That was accented by huge contrast with Sudan which I had crossed just before and remembered as one of the friendliest places in the world.

Also Ukraine was not so pleasant. On the first night I had my camera and some other stuff stolen. Felt vulnerable and being watched all the time in that country. On the other hand, after that incident, I used to ask ppl for permission to camp in their gardens and they were helpful and nice to me.
>>
Where did you poop along the way? Did you just do it Indian style with your ass out into the wind?
>>
>>914037
>Where did you poop along the way? Did you just do it Indian style with your ass out into the wind?

Exactly. Just kept away from water.
>>
>>914024
thanks a lot man
>>
did you quit your job to travel a whole year? if not how did you arrange that?
>>
>>914062
what did you wipe with?
>>
>>914081
Finger
>>
>>913808
>Seeing a gun pointed at me.
Care to elaborate? What happened?
>>
>>914071
>did you quit your job to travel a whole year?

I'm a freelance website developer. Just finished a project and asked my partners not to call me during next two years unless I call them first. It worked well. Found new decent project 3 months after coming back.
>>
5 days with no shower somewhere in Zambia. My record was 8 days.
>>
>>914093
Ahhh so that's why they're all black...
>>
>>914013
Thanks for explaining and this thread op
>>
>>913868
On-the-road food example. I generally don't eat pasta but my buddy of that time liked it very much.
>>
African roads aren't safe. In Zimbabwe they're at least sincere about that.
>>
>>914105
How much of that would you have with you when riding? Would seem like that would weigh a lot.
>>
>>914108
>How much of that would you have with you when riding? Would seem like that would weigh a lot.

I tried to shop just before the lunch break, but usually carried some rice or pasta just in case.
>>
>>913350
Did you plan out your route beforehand? or did you just make it up as you went?
>>
>>914111
>Did you plan out your route beforehand? or did you just make it up as you went?

I had planned it before in terms of checking visa requirements and marking the must-visit places.

Of course I adjusted it on the way, sometimes greatly. I added some side-trips measured in thousand kms, but had to skip entire countries.
>>
Were you scared of travelling in africa before you set off?
>>
How long did it take you to save the money for the trip?
>>
>>914122
>Were you scared of travelling in africa before you set off?

Yes. There are too many stereotypes about how dangerous it is. Even after reading Kapuściński, hearing testimonies from people who had done it before me, I still felt afraid. But, hey, that was a part of the fun! Otherwise it would be boring.

>>914123
>How long did it take you to save the money for the trip?

Just a couple of months. Bike touring with a tent is cheap and I'm lucky to have a good job.
>>
We could learn a lot from Africans about creative recycling, BTW. I noticed there's almost no trash. Everything has second, third and more lives.
>>
>>914187
Creative recycling, part 2
>>
>>914190
I saw some villages building huts out of empty bottles and mud in Botswana. Did you see anything similar?
>>
>>914187
A different tune would be sung if you had traveled through Mozambique. I'm here now and there's a serious trash problem, the sides of any road are completely covered in it.
>>
What model was your bike?
>>
1) What % of times did you sleep rough in relation to sleeping in guest houses/hotels etc?
2) How did you keep your bike safe at night?
>>
>>914198
>I saw some villages building huts out of empty bottles and mud in Botswana. Did you see anything similar?

Nope. But all metal barrels are cut, straightened out and used for roofing or walls. This is especially popular in Sudan. Also crashed cars are quickly disassembled and often used in small-scale construction works.

>>914214
>A different tune would be sung if you had traveled through Mozambique. I'm here now and there's a serious trash problem, the sides of any road are completely covered in it.

That's interesting. Mozambique seems to be poor even in African standards. Why do they produce so much waste?
>>
>>914215
>What model was your bike?

I made it myself. Bought used top-tier MTB from 1990 to get a good steel frame and used it as a base.

>>914222
>1) What % of times did you sleep rough in relation to sleeping in guest houses/hotels etc?

I guess I slept about 70% in the tent and about 50% wild. Especially in Europe and desert areas. There were big areas, even entire countries, however, where I almost exclusively used hotels. Ethiopia is the prime example — overcrowded so much that there's no way to hide and full of hotels which cost $1.5-3 per night.

>2) How did you keep your bike safe at night?
>>
>>914222
>2) How did you keep your bike safe at night?

Locked it to nearest tree or my tent.
>>
How much time did you usually spend in the saddle in a day?
>>
How long were you planning it?
>>
Did you use some special performance polyester or whatever clothes?
>>
>>914021
>However, instantly after that I realized how incredibly tired I was. For three days I ate and slept
That's hilarious. Well congrats on the achievement, anon.
>>
>>914236
>How much time did you usually spend in the saddle in a day?

About 5h.

>>914240
>How long were you planning it?

I got the idea and initial sketch of the route some 10 months before. Started collecting equipment and getting vaccines roughly half a year before going.

>>914250
>Did you use some special performance polyester or whatever clothes?

Used to ride in synthetic clothes - just plain polyester, but also wore cotton pants underneath for most of the time. Generally speaking, the more synthetics you wear, the better it is. Even if you love cotton like I do.
>>
>>914250
My outfit for most of the African part.
>>
This is something wonderful about wandering - you never know where you'll be sleeping tonight.
>>
>>914262
...and sometimes you land in a roadside ditch, sometimes in paradise.
>>
>>914265
like here
>>
And when I meant crowded places... imagine camping within school premises. In the night you are alone, eat a huge supper, enjoy your tea. Six hours forward - wake up, unzip the tent and feel 700 pairs of eyes watching your every move while brushing teeth, packing up and suffering to withhold your morning pee.
>>
I wonder if the languages of Ethiopia even contain a word for "privacy".
>>
>>913413
Who took this pic ?
You put a timer and rushed to pretend to sleep ?
>>
How did you aquire clean water?
Were you starving at some point or thirsty with no means of aquiring food or water?
>>
>>914288
Drink my own urine and eat unknown leaves and bark.
>>
File: 1414861024466.jpg (27KB, 426x438px) Image search: [Google]
1414861024466.jpg
27KB, 426x438px
>>914265
>>
>>914307
le real traveler face
>>
>>913350

One of the best TRV threads I have seen, epic trip OP, truly the word epic is justified here.
>>
>>914280
>You put a timer and rushed to pretend to sleep ?

Exactly. I also made many photos while actually sleeping. Some long-exposure or timelapse ones.

>>914288
>How did you aquire clean water?

I had a ceramic pump filter which helped me a lot. Generally speaking, after entering Africa, I didn't drink untreated tap water. In the evenings I just boiled it and made lots of tea.

BTW, I used lots of citric acid. Usually I drink tea with lemon, but that fruit is hard to find in many places. I just put the powder into tea.

>Were you starving at some point or thirsty with no means of aquiring food or water?

Not really. There were some moments when I ran out of food or water, but never away more than a couple of hours from the next place where I could resupply.
>>
Hygiene?
You mentioned brushing teeth, but did you just catch showers where you could/bathe in creeks biweekly like some hippy?
>>
>>913350
Why did you skip Italy? It's the most interesting country in Europe IMO
>>
>>914409
>Hygiene?
>You mentioned brushing teeth, but did you just catch showers where you could/bathe in creeks biweekly like some hippy?

Tried to have a shower every 3-4 days. Also used rivers or irrigation ditches for having a bath. With the physical effort of cycling that means I was smelly more often than not.

Over four bathless days in hot climate made me want to throw myself out of the tent.

>>914410
>Why did you skip Italy? It's the most interesting country in Europe IMO

Italy wasn't even close to my route. And wild camping is illegal there.
>>
I have never left the UK. Genuinely happy for you OP. I'd love to something like this but I am friendless neet with poor social skills, I am quite fit but I don't think I could cut it.

Weren't you in danger at all? Did you not feel threatened in any sense anywhere? If so which countries?
>>
>I was smelly more often than not

I guess that explains the no sex thing. Did you make many local friends on the way? Still in touch with them?
>>
>>913387
b-but they're brown!
>>
>>914269
goddamn those are some cute kids
>>
>>914413
What were your sources for the showers that you did get?

Thanks for this thread OP, you rock. Do you have any plans for cycling tours in the future?
>>
hello OP. I was thinking about doing the same sort of journey (except on a motorbike), can you elaborate more on your camping through out the trip.I was thinking about just setting up camp on most nights and then staying in motels/hostels when possible. Where you ever accosted whilst camping? can you get a visa at the border? What parts of the trip did you do solo?
>>
>>913385
Wow and I thought it was a road bike
>>
>>914425
>I'd love to something like this but I am friendless neet with poor social skills, I am quite fit but I don't think I could cut it.

You should just go. Set a goal, perhaps a closer one like traversing your own country, and work to achieve it. The road brings up skills you would never guess you had.
>>
>>914439
Sure they are. I especially enjoyed Ethiopia in that matter. Perhaps the last country which resists the flooding by cheap, synthetic clothes with logo of some far-east electronics manufacturer.

Pic related. Look at the necklace.
>>
>>914430
>>I was smelly more often than not
>I guess that explains the no sex thing.

Yep, a touring cyclist is not too attractive in sexual terms. Certainly has low chances of getting laid in Europe or other parts of the world where personal hygiene is highly valued (sometimes way too much, I'd say).

>Did you make many local friends on the way? Still in touch with them?

I keep in touch with some ppl who hosted me or whom I rode with. There's also a dude in Tanzania whom I help with supply of second-hand electronics which sells pretty well there.

>>914451
>What were your sources for the showers that you did get?

I usually tried to get in a cheap hostel every 5-7 days. Also many times ppl hosted me in their houses. I needed that also to charge batteries.

>Thanks for this thread OP, you rock. Do you have any plans for cycling tours in the future?

Thanks. Of course, I'm thinking about it. Especially about Asia, which I really love. I'd have gone there instead of Africa if the situation in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Tibet had been a bit better.

The other option I'm considering are Americas, especially south. Never been across Atlantic.
>>
>>913576
Jimmy snälla
>>
>>914491
Kinda OT, but how do you source the second hand electronics? I have people in Africa who want me to supply them too. Make much money off it?
>>
>>914458
> can you elaborate more on your camping through out the trip.I was thinking about just setting up camp on most nights and then staying in motels/hostels when possible. Where you ever accosted whilst camping?

The rule of thumb for me is: if you camp wild, no one can know where you are. I learned that lesson painfully, having my camera stolen in Ukraine when sleeping close to road. Since that moment I've been taking care to jump into bush/woods or dash behind nearest dune when there's no traffic on the road.

As a result, on the further way I was found by someone when camping wild perhaps 2 or 3 times only.

>can you get a visa at the border?

It depends on the country and even a border crossing that you choose. If I rode through a capital city, usually visited an embassy of the next country, to secure the visa just on case.

>What parts of the trip did you do solo?

Scandinavia, most of Turkey, entire Middle East and Sahara, most of Kenya and big part of Tanzania, and the last part through Botswana and South Africa.
>>
>>914497
>how do you source the second hand electronics?

Ebay?
In Poland we have Allegro.pl which is basically same thing.

> I have people in Africa who want me to supply them too. Make much money off it?

I don't make any money on it, just help the guy. He earns for the living but doesn't make a fortune AFAIK.
>>
>>914488
kids, continued
>>
OK, bros. Think it's time for full disclosure here.
I was blogging while on the road. You may read it and see photos here:

http://north-south.info/en/
>>
How did you pay for this? How'd you find time? What did you work as when you got back???
>>
>>914522
Read the thread for these answers and more
>>
>>914498
thanks for the answer mate.
>>
Thanks for posting this thread, OP. It's inspired me to plan something similar.
>>
I live in South Africa. what was a memorable part of SA for you?
>>
>>914501
>>914498
looking at your blog, iam starting to reconsider. fuck the motorbike, ill use a bicycle
>>
>>914526
I find your answer impolite and uncalled for! >:0
>Ok
>>
>>914501

Was a good read!
Damn those Ethiopians man
>>
File: thank-you-gif-8.gif (874KB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
thank-you-gif-8.gif
874KB, 500x210px
Thank you for all the answered questions and for sharing your amazing journey with us.
I wish you all the best and i hope you enjoy your next journey as much as your last.
>>
>>914545
>I live in South Africa. what was a memorable part of SA for you?

South Africa was a great experience for me. I had very mixed feelings about that country but never felt bored there.

I loved these landscapes which overwhelmed me with feeling of open, free space. Especially the border of Free State and Lesotho, and the Garden Route. The awful downside was the realization that every single scrap of land in SA is fenced by barbed wire.

Also I felt bad with the obvious remains of apartheid which seems to be gone only on paper. Huge farms stretching from horizon to horizon, big houses with swimming pools — almost exclusively owned by whites. Blacks living in tiny copycat concrete houses, usually unemployed, uneducated and being poisoned at nearby liquor shop.

However, the hospitality of white farmers was incredible. Many times I asked for permission to camp on their land and always I was hosted in their house, fed and sometimes passed over for next overnight stay at their family living some 100km further on my way.

I'd love to visit SA again, and perhaps even live there for some time. Too bad, I overstayed my visa and will have to pay significant fine the next time I arrive there.
>>
>>914546
>looking at your blog, iam starting to reconsider. fuck the motorbike, ill use a bicycle

Personally I'm afraid of motorbiking too much to consider it seriously. I met some motorbike travellers and thought about the difference, which is vast.

On a motorbike you speed like in a car, which will usually make you dash through villages and miss a lot of things happening there.

It makes noise, which means you hear much less of the country surrounding you and makes it difficult to hide from ppl when you want to.

Crossing borders with motorized transport means many times more paperwork. Also you look richer, which in many countries attracts demands for bribes. I had such incident only once, which sounds unbelievable given the bad fame African policemen have (actually the police in African countries helped me many times and were very friendly).

Laden motorbike seems difficult to be dragged into bush to camp. On the other hand it gives chance of quick evacuation once something goes bad around.

And last but not least, a stone thrown by Etiopian kid generates much more energy hitting a motorist going some 60km/h than a cyclist going 15km/h.
>>
>>914600
>However, the hospitality of white farmers was incredible. Many times I asked for permission to camp on their land and always I was hosted in their house, fed and sometimes passed over for next overnight stay at their family living some 100km further on my way.
south africans love foreigners (from non-african countries)
>>
>>913451

Good to see that you started at the right place. Most people believe the North Cape is the northernmost.
>>
>>914600
Congratulations on completing your epic journey OP

Where in southern Africa did you go and how was it for you? What would you recommend?
>>
>>914600
>Also I felt bad with the obvious remains of apartheid which seems to be gone only on paper. Huge farms stretching from horizon to horizon, big houses with swimming pools — almost exclusively owned by whites. Blacks living in tiny copycat concrete houses, usually unemployed, uneducated and being poisoned at nearby liquor shop.

What would you expect?
>>
>>913821

YOLO
>>
>>915000
that is not so much an apartheid thing as much as a farming culture thing. In farms all over Africa the main farmer is skilled and has the best/biggest house while his laborers live on the property in smaller houses.

It is not strictly limited to whites, there are more remaining whites then blacks at the moment, however the government has repossessed a lot of land and given it to laborers etc.This in itself is a problem as not only are you removing the farmers livelihood, the new owners don't know how to farm and the farms go into ruin.

I have personally seen this on many white/black .
>>
>>915143
>I have personally seen this on many white/black .
white and black farms.
>>
>>915143
> the new owners don't know how to farm and the farms go into ruin.

Sure. Zimbabwe is a stark example of that. Nobody sane would say that farms should be taken from whites and given to blacks.
>>
>>913350
Thanks OP for sharing, what an epic trip

What about a polish cycler in Americas?
>>
>>915143

LOL land redistribution is this wost kind of politics flouted by populist leaders.
It's such a naive concept.

Anyway, Mugabe said he would take farms for no compensation and give to the blacks, instead he just gave them to his cronies and whatever else he liked to nationalize to hold on to power.

South Africa has Malema now, who is a clown but loves Hugo Chavez, and wants to nationalize all the mining companies and banks, and take land with no compensation.

Poor blacks see rich people living in Camps Bay and think they will be living there too if Malema ever gains power.

It's like they all read Naomi Klein book and are taking it seriously.
>>
>>915344
>What about a polish cycler in Americas?

Someday, hopefully.

There's a guy I cycled with for a while. Also Polish. He caught a sailing boat from Cape Town to Carribean and now is cycling somewhere in Peru.

That's his website, unfortunately in Polish only:
http://rafalkitowski.pl/
>>
File: img_0319.jpg (483KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
img_0319.jpg
483KB, 600x800px
>>915583
>http://north-south.info/en/
when u were in cities how did you make sure your route was bicycle friendly? meaning that the road wasnt extremely narrow and had fast traffic. Im a bicycle commuter so I really want to know this
>>
File: DSCN2558.jpg (6MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2558.jpg
6MB, 4608x3456px
>>915690

There's not really such a thing as a bicycle friendly route in most cities. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and ride on the highway and try your best not to get crushed by a truck.

Pic related. That's what riding into Istanbul looks like for the last 30 km.
>>
how many times did u have to check your privilege when riding through sweden
>>
did you get stopped by police when you were riding through highway?
>>
>>915838

I'm not OP, but I'm >>915806

No. I just waved at them and they waved back
>>
>>915690
>>915806
>>915953

Away from Western Europe the concept of bicycle-friendly city is hardly known. Usually you have to push into the traffic.

Istanbul, Cairo and Nairobi were perhaps the worst. Just find a gap between cars and push there to gain another meter forward. Repeat 20 thousand times.

Pic related, trying to reach Bosphorus. Started going into the city early in the morning.
>>
>>915837
Didn't go through Sweden.

>>915838
> did you get stopped by police when you were riding through highway?
Actyally yes, once, in South Africa. I politely asked the officer where I could find alternative route. He couldn't point one and wished me good luck. (Of course there was no alternative, otherwise I wouldn't have been cycling on a highway ever.)
>>
>>913350
Now that you've accomplished something so big, do you ever just come here and shitpost?
>>
>>914307
Lol'd
>>
Don't have much to ask but it's pretty fucking cool
>>
what bike, saddle did you use? tires? schwalbe marathons?
>>
File: shiiiit nigga.png (204KB, 467x351px) Image search: [Google]
shiiiit nigga.png
204KB, 467x351px
Fantastic read OP.
>>
>>916727
> Now that you've accomplished something so big, do you ever just come here and shitpost?

Of course I do but not on /trv/

>>917208
> schwalbe marathons?

Yes, in three flavors: Dureme, Supreme (both great, especially for paved roads) and Extreme (good grip on gravel/sand but catch tons of thorns and get punctured too easily).
>>
>>913350
Did you go to Sri Lanka?
>>
File: europe-cycling.png (469KB, 1201x640px) Image search: [Google]
europe-cycling.png
469KB, 1201x640px
Just curious OP.

Why did you choose that way to go? Personally I'd rather go through Sweden, Germany, France, Spain etc, than go through the Baltic countries, Crimea, Syria, the rest of the middle east, then cut through Ethiopia, Somalia.

Too much jungle going the other way?
>>
File: bike-rider.jpg (162KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
bike-rider.jpg
162KB, 960x960px
OP you are a hardcore fucker, you know that?

How did you not freeze to death in tent?
>>
>>917628
>cycling through the Sahara
>>
>>917628
>Why did you choose that way to go? Personally I'd rather go through Sweden, Germany, France, Spain etc, than go through the Baltic countries, Crimea, Syria, the rest of the middle east, then cut through Ethiopia, Somalia.

That was mostly a choice of countries I hadn't visited before. Having visited Germany and France many times and Sweden once, I chose the Finninsh route. All three Baltic republics, Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria were also new to me.

Also I wanted to do as much of the route overland, not by sea. There were only two exceptions on my way: ferry from Finland to Estonia due to visa problems with Russia and, for similar reasons, ferry from Jordan to Egypt avoiding Israel.
>>
>>917635
>How did you not freeze to death in tent?

I camped on snow only once. It was already melting. And many times in Africa I wished I had that snow around again.
>>
Hey OP, I'm a cyclotourist too, though I did nothing more than a week... However, I'm planning to go around Australia starting January, ~16000km in 3-4 months.Have a few questions. Did you have an insurance plan and how much was it? Did most places accept Visa and how much cash would you carry on you, usually? Did you have a GPS and for cell phone did you get an international plan with your Polish cellular provider or did you buy a sim card in every country you were in? How was the cellular coverage and did you use apps like Strava to track your journey? How did you transport your bike on the plane and did it cost extra? What stove did you use? You also go on /n/,i usually see touring threads there? Thanks OP.

Otherwise, a honorable and very inspirational journey you have done. Though you should have had a fake wallet with you with like $20 and old credit cards while your real one was well hidden, it work very well. And if you plan to do South America then i warn you that it can be dangerous in Mexico, Honduras and Columbia but this guy named Mark Beaumont traveled from top of Alaska to bottom of Chile and made a video blog of it on youtube, you should check it out. Also check out the Book Cycling from Siberia by Rob Lilwall, if you haven't heard about it yet, a very cool journey and he went through China, Tibet, Nepal ,etc.
>>
>>917841

Also forgot to ask, did you bring a DSLR camera or a digital pocket one?
>>
>>917841
> Did you have an insurance plan and how much was it?

Of course I had. It covered healthcare expenses, including evacuation back home for treatment. It cost approx. 120-130 EUR per year but it was organized via sport club, which means big discount.

> Did most places accept Visa and how much cash would you carry on you, usually?

I found a Visa-compatible ATM even in Burundi. Probably never paid by card outside Europe but used it to withdraw cash frequently. Having a card without fees for withdrawals abroad is a must.

Usually I carried enough cash to keep me fed until next bigger city. The exceptions were Syria and Sudan, where no card worked due to US embargo. I had to arrange cash in USD in advance, before entering these countries.

> Did you have a GPS

Three, actually. Two of them were stolen.

> and for cell phone did you get an international plan with your Polish cellular provider or did you buy a sim card in every country you were in?

I used my Polish card only to receive and occasionally send messages. If I stayed in some country for longer time, I usually obtained some prepaid card. In Africa it's also the best way to get internet access but depends on the country. In Kenya it's super fast and cheap, in Tanzania so-so, utter crap in South Africa, etc.

> How was the cellular coverage and did you use apps like Strava to track your journey?

The coverage was great and rarely I was out of the network. Africa is great in that matter. Remember that most countries there never had fixed lines, so once they got the cellular technology, they planted BTS in every village and along every single road.

> How did you transport your bike on the plane and did it cost extra?

Never heard about a company which does it for free. Check your airline. This is usually the most stressful and annoying part of the journey. I hate flying with bike.

> What stove did you use?

Primus Omnifuel. Don't know if I can recommend it.
>>
>>917848
> did you bring a DSLR camera or a digital pocket one?

DSLR with two lenses and polarizing filter. It occupied my entire handlebar bag and also I carried a tripod on the rear rack.
>>
>>914255
Hmm this must be near Gordon's Bay/Pringle Bay?
>>
>>913350

How did cycling in remote places like in Africa compare to Europe where there are pavements to cycle on, red-lights you can jump and zebra crossings you can cycle across?
>>
>>918084
>>918086

Thanks for answering, I'll have to look into upgrading my Visa to some international one.

Since it will be summer in Australia when I go there, temps in some places can reach 40 C and even higher. So what were your strategies with dealing with such heat? For the most part Aus is just barren plains with shrubbery, not so much trees to take shade under, so I might have to take shelter in a tent if it gets too extreme, or what did you do when there were no trees? What time of the day did you try to avoid the most when the sun was most active? And how did you determine how much water to drink at a certain temperature?
>>
>>918127
Not OP but I'm reading into cycling around Australia myself as I plan on doing so in around 2 years.

It's only in the deserts that you have to watch out. If you're cycling on the Stuart Highway it might be tough finding shelter. Bring a tarp with you and tie it to whatever you can to at least block out the sun. One of the recommendations I've read about cycling that road is to wake up at dawn and cycle until around 10am where it starts to be unbearable. Take a break during the day until the evening and then cycle for another hour or 2.

As for doing the east coast, there should be shade everywhere you go. There are different issues in some other parts of the country though, in Western Australia I hear there's an awful fly problem, they eat riders alive. And of course in the tropics you have to watch out for the crocks and other dinosaur like creatures.
>>
>>918135

Hmm, good point. Looked into it and worst times are between 11 and 3. But bringing a tarp is a good idea.

I heard about the fly problem but they don't bite, just fly into your eyes, so I think a net around my head would suffice. Haven't heard about crocs being a problem for cyclists, I won't be around the shoreline much. It's the mosquitos you want to watch out for as some of them bring malaria and dengue from Guinea or Indonesia.

If you too are planning such a route then look into this guy's blog, he's really detailed and technical. I'm planning a route similar to his except i might include going to Rocky Point and Tasmania too.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=Sh&doc_id=11610&v=4DX
>>
>>918149
My route would look different. I'm in very early stages of planning but so far I have starting in Cairns and going down to Melbourne and then up to Darwin. This guy rode all the way around Australia in under 2 months, I'd do my route over a span of 6-9 months with side trips to Tasmania, staying in cities for longer time, and fully appreciating all the different spots along the route.
>>
OP, did you ever get stuck in a rain storm or another weather condition that stopped your from cycling?
>>
>>918153

Yes, he was in a rush because hes a teacher and had to fit it into his summer break. I'm looking to start 2nd week of Jan and finish around the end of April, so I'm not in a rush but I can comfortable do 200km a day so it might take me 3.5 months. Otherwise, I'm bringing my snorkeling mask and body suit so I'm planning to spend a good amount of time at the reefs. However, I try to avoid big cities so unless if there is something of great interest I won't stay there for long. And maybe also a detour to Darwin and to Lake Eyre. If I'll be way ahead of schedule like a 3 weeks or a month head I might also go to New Zealand, but that also depends how much money I'll have left. Looking at maybe taking a freight cruise from Sydney to Auckland, have you heard of anything of this sort?
>>
>>918178
You mean catching a freighter? Like in the millions of freighter travel threads we get on /trv/? My understanding is that it's around $100-150 per day, I don't know how long the trip is but I'm guessing a couple of days so you'd be looking at around $500. That's probably one of the better areas of the world to take a freighter in cause the trip is short, nothing worse than sitting on a boring ship for a week crossing one of the oceans and paying a lot of money for it.
>>
>>913350
OP your story is a great inspiration for all of us! And I'm wondering, you say Uganda is a pretty nice place but northern Kenya is pretty dangerous? Because of lying close to south Sudan and Ethopie?

I am really interesting in the Big lakes in East Africa, Did you catch a glimps of Lake Victoria or Lake Malawi?
>>
>>914106
But what was the deadly hazard?
>>
What kind of camera did you use, OP, and how did you keep it and your other electronics charged? I read you mentioning a GPS receiver somewhere.
>>
>>918323
being in Africa
>>
>>918323
ebola aids
>>
>>914600

You went through Zimbabwe too yes?

Then surely you see what happens when blacks are entrusted with agriculture.

Surprised you didn't get jambok'd, craka
>>
File: 1415466227216.jpg (33KB, 515x500px) Image search: [Google]
1415466227216.jpg
33KB, 515x500px
>>913442
>>
>>914105
this is awesome

whole thread is awesome, thanks OP
>>
thanks OP great travel. What kind of money you bring with you? US $ or euro
>>
Hey op. In 2011 I was on a train to Istanbul and I met a guy who had met you (or another guy doing the same route at the same time which is unlikely) if you were in the balkans/istanbul around November it was you.

Small world
>>
>>918104
>Hmm this must be near Gordon's Bay/Pringle Bay?

Exactly!

>>918107
>How did cycling in remote places like in Africa compare to Europe where there are pavements to cycle on, red-lights you can jump and zebra crossings you can cycle across?

Well, there are trucks you have to evade, motorcycles which seem to be means of suicide and other interesting stuff. Anyway, getting off asphalt and into rural areas is interesting everywhere, no matter if it's Europe or Africa.

>>918127
>I might have to take shelter in a tent if it gets too extreme

Tent heats up like oven when planted in full sunshine. Get some sun hat if you really have to cycle in noon hours.

> What time of the day did you try to avoid the most when the sun was most active?

It depends, but in worst places I had to skip the 4 hottest hours from 12 to 16 to feel comfortable. This is also a reason to wake up early and start cycling at sunrise.

> And how did you determine how much water to drink at a certain temperature?

Watch your pee. If it's yellow, you should drink. If you don't pee, you should drink even more.

>>918176
>OP, did you ever get stuck in a rain storm or another weather condition that stopped your from cycling?

Only twice, actually. A desert storm in Sahara, which I luckily spent in oasis hotel. And a single heavy rainfall in rural Kenya, which made roads impassable for a couple of hours.

>>918316
>Uganda is a pretty nice place but northern Kenya is pretty dangerous? Because of lying close to south Sudan and Ethopie?

Northern Kenya is a semi desert and there was a long period of drought which brought local communities to their knees. It is uncontrolled area with no paved roads and bandits wandering around, probably also from Somalia.

Uganda is something different. Lush and green, supports local people quite well. Since the LRA has disappeared there was little violence, although the north might not be as safe at south, due to South Sudan proximity.
>>
>>918316
>I am really interesting in the Big lakes in East Africa, Did you catch a glimps of Lake Victoria or Lake Malawi?

I went to Sese Islands on Lake Victoria by a ferry. Nothing extraordinary, though. Vic is huge but shallow lake with swampy coastline and pretty much destroyed ecosystem.

Kivu on the other hand has beautiful, fjord-like shore.

The real gem, however, was Tanganyika. It's second fresh water reservoir in the world (after Baikal). Crystal-clean, blue and with sea-like surf and beaches.

Unfortunately didn't see Malawi. The $100 visa there seemed too expensive for me at that time.

>>918357
>You went through Zimbabwe too yes?

Zimbabwe was one of positive surprises. Sure that the economy is on knees but there's also no such vast racial difference as in South Africa. Lots of educated and smart people even in villages.

>Then surely you see what happens when blacks are entrusted with agriculture.

I saw what happens if you entrust unskilled people with a job, no matter what color they are. Imagine giving land to people of London with no access to capital or expertise of real farmers. Would it look different than Zim? I doubt.

>>919906
>What did you pack into your panniers and other compartments?

Well, the listing would be too long for here. The image might give you an idea of what I started with.

>How many spares of items did you take?
> Tubes, patches spokes etc.

Carried cassette with two spare chains from Poland to Egypt, where I replaced the old ones.

Middle sprocket for crankset, which I carried all the way to Zimbabwe before the old one gave up.

Usually some 2 spare tubes and one tyre.

As many patches as possible.

A dozen of spokes but never had to replace one.

>Did you wear a helmet the whole trip?

I never cycle with helmet.

>What brand of panniers, saddlebag did you use?

Everything Ortlieb. Quite expensive but durable as hell.
>>
>>919906
>Did you know much about bike repair before your trip?

I built the bike so I could feel and hear loose parts and fix them before they were broken beyond repair. That's the main reason for having almost no serious breakdown.

>>919950
>What kind of money you bring with you? US $ or euro

EUR in Europe, USD in Middle East and Africa, but for most of the time I used a card.

>>920365
>In 2011 I was on a train to Istanbul and I met a guy who had met you (or another guy doing the same route at the same time which is unlikely) if you were in the balkans/istanbul around November it was you.

By November I was already in Syria but he might have met Lukas, another Polish guy doing similar route. We met later in Egypt.
>>
>>920402
How much did the bike cost you to build?
>>
>>920400
Books are too heavy, take an ebook reader.
Thread posts: 241
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.