[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 33

File: Jomjo-ji Temple in Kamakura.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Jomjo-ji Temple in Kamakura.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
New Japan General since the old one hit the bump limit

As always, feel free to ask about:
>places to visit / do in Japan
>stuff to do for weeaboos
>Teaching english in Japan
>How to become Yakuza?

Also, info on Prostitution in Japan http://rockitreports.com/topics/foreigner-friendly-pinsaros/
>>
Heading to Fukuoka for 2 months on a study trip Dec-Jan. Anyone got recommendations for must see/do things in the area at that time of year?

During my time off over Christmas/New Year I'm also hoping to go to Tokyo for Winter Comiket. Would the rail pass be the best option for travel?
>>
File: a0042310_11505180[1].jpg (178KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
a0042310_11505180[1].jpg
178KB, 800x532px
>>889647
Head to Dazaifu for the New Year's celebration on the morning of January 1st.
>>
i'm thinking of studying in Japan. I can take care of housing language and stuff for myself. But can you guys enlighten me about the pro's and con's of japan ?
>>
What sort of store should I be looking for that might have one of those foldable dollys?

I need to move some luggage.

I'm in Osaka if that helps.
>>
When does stores close in Japan?
>>
>>889667
Depends on the type and location of the store. Are you asking what time or what days? In a big city or small city? Convenience store or other types?
>>
>>889668
Roppongi, on a weekday, special stores (clothes, jewelry)
>>
>>889647
Seconding Dazaifu for new year. Unless you're in tokyo obv.

You'll surely have some illumination ceremony around christmas time at Hakata Station, you can go there too.

>tokyo comike
the JR pas is only for tourists, if you are there on a student visa you can't have it. Get there on plane, Jetstar or Peach have some cheaper flights than shinkansen if you book early enough.

Seijinshiki on January 14th, plenty of kimonos to behold.

You're a bit too late to see momijis, too bad. Sasaguri would be a fantastic place to see at that time.

Also, winter can be rather cold, expect some snow, despite being in the south.
>>
Hey guys, going to stay in Japan for 6months and I was wondering, I know I can't have a cellphone, by this I mean a legit monthly plan. So did anyone here rented a portable wifi router to keep you connected 24/7? If so, how much?
>>
>>889669
They'll probably be open until at least 8, but they may have odd holidays. Although I suppose, what with it being Roppongi, those stores might not have holidays at all.
>>
>>889649
>>889670
Daizaifu looks really nice, thanks for the tip.

I don't need a visa to travel to Japan from my country, so I am still able to get the rail pass if it's a good option. I was worried about flights being expensive around the Christmas period, so I hadn't really considered it but I'll have a look.

I'm actually looking forward to the snow, I've never seen 'proper' snow (basically only a light covering on the mountain near where I live) so this will be a first for me. Would love to attempt skiing if I get a chance.
>>
I afsked in the other thread where to get sake and how much it would cost.
I just bought a 720ML sake for 1700¥. I just went into a liquor store and asked for the recommended, as a gift.

Just found out this bottle costs like more than three times as much outside of Japan, how come?

Pic related.
>>
>>889697
You won't ski. There's nothing like a place where you can ski. But you should indeed see some snow in the city, if the weather is right.
>don't need a visa
meaning you'll get it at the airport? Where are you from?
>>889702
looks good, 4000 was indeed ;ore than enough.
>>
From the last thread... I'm the Aeon guy.

>>889562
>What's the prep for your classes like? All supplied for you, or do you need to plan your own lessons?

It's out of their textbooks. As it is an English school company, and the students are paying customers, I understandably cannot make up my own lesson from scratch (unless they pay for a private lesson and that's what the student wants me to do). They need to know what they're paying for and there needs to be consistency. I've made up my own class on special occasions, like when they force me to work on Sunday as well and do special classes (maybe once every couple months). For example, I did a class on "Engrish" that I planned myself.

Although I use their materials the prep time is still needed, and it's almost never enough. I need time to think of good ways to explain things, or add extra examples or insights, things like that. But usually I feel like I walk away from a class thinking and knowing it could have been better with more time. The kids classes require more prep than adult classes because you have to prepare games and extra materials and shit, sometimes not from their own materials. I find myself thinking of my own ideas for games a lot even though they have a lot of standbys.
>>
>>889702
nice wanted to pick something like that up for my Grandpa and father as well. How did you package it so it won't break?
>>
>>889714
Put it in two plastic bags (extra cushion, and in case it actually breaks), then I just stuffed it inside a rain jacket and put it in the middle of my backpack so it doesnt hit anything when being thrown around with.
>>
Is it offensive to ask a woman if she is a geisha.
>>
>>889718
Uh, it's not offensive but she'll almost definitely laugh at you and think you're an idiot.
>>
>>889709
Amity dude here (only worked 11 hours today), it's also a matter of structuring the same lessons for different level students. I was chewed out for one kid sitting on her knees in class while another was playing with her hair as I was trying to get another student to stop playing with his backpack and actually speak, and a prospective student's parent saw all this and thought I was unprofessional; this same lesson was one of the smoothest of my job just yesterday.

Prop making for children (especially babies) is a bitch too. I've had to teach classes where our school doesn't even own the book (but the students do) so it's a lot of thinking on your feet.

I get sternly talked down to (can't call it yelling though) for not asking enough questions if I need help, or asking too many questions, all in the same day. And I've been yelled at for other teacher's breaking things, because I "didn't care enough" to make sure they wouldn't break them.

This whole culture is really frustrating to live in.
>>
>>889702
I brought home two glass bottle of apple juice from Aomori, in my duffle bag, well wrapped in t-shirts. It was fine. Packed them in the center of the bag and with some stuff between them so they didn't get crushed together
>>
>>889718
But she works at a ryotei
>>
How long does it take to clear customs at Narita and get to the city? (Around Ueno)
>>
>>889677
ymobile japan
>>
>>889762
customs is always busy, bank on half hour for that, and another half hour to pick up your bags.
Transport can be 90 minutes by rail unless you decide to take the express train????
>>
>>889726
you are a retard
>>
>>889772
I guess. If it's covered in the JR Pass I think so yeah
>>
>>889706
I'm from Australia. As long as I'm there for less than 90 days I don't need a visa and am labeled as a 'temporary visitor' which lets me sightsee, study or do unpaid business related things.
>>
>>889722
>This whole culture is really frustrating to live in.

Honestly, man your work environment just sounds so unbelievably shitty, to the point where it's not even really a "Japan thing". You just work in a shitty place with some shitty people. I never get chewed out by my boss for things other people did. My school doesn't lack materials necessary for classes I teach. How long have you been working there? And when does your contract expire? Why the fuck haven't you just quit?

While I've heard conflicting information on it, I'm pretty sure your employer can't cancel your visa if you quit. There are a lot more opportunities out there once you're in Japan.
>>
>>889914
Been here only three months so 9 months more, I'd feel like I was giving up if I quit now. I want to at least get over this summer season, maybe things will settle (when I first started, I had normal hours and could get by without planning afterhours). At worst give it until follow-up training and maybe talk to a trainer for some advice.

I don't think they can cancel the visa either; I think that's just a rumor started as a deterrent so people would stop using them just for the visa.
>>
>>889677
How can you be in Japan for 6 months without a visa that will allow you get a cell phone?
>>
>>889762
All the fucking international flights come in at the same time. It can either be extremely quick if you're one of the first to arrive or take forever.
>>
>>889722
>>889985
I used to work at Amity and yeah - fuck that place. My school sounds like it was better than yours (manager was pretty reasonable), but still a horrible place to work.

Just quit. There's plenty of other places - especially in Tokyo there's an eikaiwa at every station and they need teachers with a bit of training/experience, which you've got now.
(They're not going to give you the letter of recommendation when you finish your contract you were promised during training either, by the way)

Teaching kids is great but the Amity method is bullshit and sucks all the joy out of it. If no one's paying much attention to you just jettison the 5-games-a-lesson thing and teach like a normal person.

And no, they can't cancel your visa.
>>
>>890013
You're often expected to have a 2 year visa for a phone contract which many don't have.There are 6 month college visas which I imagine must be pretty tough to get a contract with.

>>889985
Seriously dude just quit and look for a new job. It's not worth wasting your life like that. They don't give a fuck about you so why do you care about giving up on them? Having the visa will let you pick up another job a lot faster than it probably took the first time.
>>
>>890019
I was able to get one just fine with the temporary visitor visa because I was a student enrolled there for the summer semester. So long as you're a student you're fine. I was unable to get one on vacation after I graduated. You're limited to prepaid though.
>>
>>889762
Narita is a horrible airport IMO.
I prefer Hanada.
>>
>>889722
I worked in a factory as those mindless drones and in general I was well treated.

There was one guy who would yell at me with an angry face but when I actually fucked up something he toned his voice and tried to explain things to me. Latter I found out that his "angry yelling" is actually how he talks normally with anyone, even people to people on the same ranking he just had an unfriendly face and talks loud.

The only bad thing is that they guys from the agency who got me the job didn't explained the security measures and stuff as they should have so nobody explained me when I should use emergency buttons in the machines or what to do in case of some sort of accident/cataclysm and where the emergency shelters and stuff are located. They were pretty careless. The company even have pamphlets for that but the guys who were supposed to talk about this stuff just skipped (but since they are from my country too this might be more about how irresponsible my own people are sometimes)
>>
>>889722
And hang on - you worked 11 hours in a day? That should not happen, even in Amity. For starters, it's illegal.
Now, the Japanese staff are willingly exploited and will stay back extremely late - but you should not because it brings you absolutely no benefit. Once you've finished your last class - clean and leave. Surely that extra time you're putting in isn't classes?

If the pressure on you to overwork is too much, call up the trainers and tell them that this is bullshit and unacceptable. They're not necessarily on your side, but they should at least understand where you're coming from and should be able to negotiate for you with your manager.

But yeah, Amity has a shitty company culture and you're essentially a disposable resource which they use up and get a new one next year. Might as well bail.
>>
File: SAM_0016.jpg (3MB, 3240x4320px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0016.jpg
3MB, 3240x4320px
So I'm looking for a job teaching Englishin Japan, namely through the site linked in the Wiki, and I'm noticing a lot of job positions list sending a picture and resume to an email address, rather than applying through a formal site.

Should this sort of thing be raising a red flag, or is this typical for this line of work?
>>
>>890029
I'm >>890027

Probably for teachers it is different but I worked 12 hours per day 6 days of the week. I could refuse overtime if I wanted but I choose to work more because you get paid more and I wanted to recover the money spent.
>>
>>889702
I bought that same bottle for $26 here in the US
>>
>>890035
Huh.. Well the websites I saw was a lot more expensive. $26 is still like ¥1000 above the price in Tokyo, though.
>>
Take all English teaching garbage to >>/biz/. You faggots are almost as bad as the sex tourists.
>>
>>890033
Completely typical. All Japanese resumes ask for a picture as well even for Japanese companies
>>
>>889647
Canal City is a nice shopping area.
Hakata station is pretty neat too.

Kyushuu in general is really cool. Also recommending Mt. Aso in Kumamoto.
>>
>>890029
It's not teaching work but I have to stay after and plan for classes and make shit; last week on Saturday right before Obon vacation I had to stay after for 3 hours and clean all the fan vents. I'm including the lunch hour in that though because I'm essentially there from 12-11 pm every day. I can't lesson plan during the day because I'm expected to hand out fliers or go posting instead.
>>
Yo weebs, planning a trip for july 2015, finished my itinerary, let me know if there is anything I should add/remove.

Yokohama
Landmark tower day and night
Sankeien Garden
Kamakura
Hasedera Temple (hase kannon)
Nagoya
Meiji-mura museum
Nagoya Castle
Tokugawa Art Museum
Kyoto
Sanj?sangen-d?
Kinkaku-ji (temple of the golden pavilion)
Ryoanji Temple
Katsura Imperial Villa
Heian Shrine and Shinen Garden
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Osaka
Dontobori bridge at night
Ebisubashi bridge at night
Umeda sky building day and night
Tempozan Ferris Wheel at night, visit dont go on.
Osaka castle (osaka-jo)
Mount koya (koyasan)
Museum of Oriental Ceramics (Toyotoji Bijutsukan)
Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan
osaka floating fountains
Nara
Todaiji Temple
Himeji city
Himeji-jo (himeji castle) and Kokoen Garden
Okayama
Korakuen garden and okayama castle
Kurashiki
Ohara Museum of Art
Kotohira
Kotohiragu Shrine
Matsuyama
Matsuyama Castle
Hiroshima
Itsukushima Shrine on miyajima island
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum
Dazaifu
Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine
Nagasaki
Hashima Island (Gunkanjima) tour
Kumamoto
Kumamoto Castle
Matsue
Adachi Museum of Art
Kanazawa
Kenrokuen Garden
Kanazawa Castle
Tateyama
Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route
Shomyo Falls
Matsumoto
Matsumoto castle
Kamikochi Japan Alps National Park-Taisho Pond,kappabridge
Hakodate
Mount Hakodate day and night
Otaru
Mount Yotei 2 day hiking
Asahikawa
Daisetsuzan National Park-Mount Kurodake,Mount Asahidake
>>
>>890087
Also, have some tokyo.

Tokyo
Meiji Shrine sake barrels
Rikugien Garden and Fujishirotoge Viewpoint
Mount fuji (fujisan) climb on tues/wedns
Sens?-ji temple
Mount Kami
st mary's cathedral interior and exterior
Tokyo International Forum interior
Mt. Jinba for more views of fuji on a clear day
Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography
Tokyo tower visit,but do not go up.
Yushukan museum (war museum)
Tokyo National Museum
Shibuya Crossing at night
Imperial palace
Tokyo sky tree, go up at day.
tokyo city hall observation deck at day & night.
Rappongi hills skydeck at night
Edo-Tokyo Museum
nikko
Toshogu Shrine
Rinnô-ji temple complex
Tamozawa Imperial Villa
Kegon Falls
Yu Waterfall (Yu-daki)
Hangetsuyama (hangetsu mountain)
Shinkyo Bridge
Yomeimon (Main Gate)
Nantai mountain day hike
>>
>>890087
I asked it in /jp/ but it was deleted shortly afterwards (the board is Otaku Culture, not Japan Travel).

How long are you going for?
>>
>>890091
Cheeki fucks, nothing is more cultured than actually visit japan.

To answer you I will be going for maybe a month or two, a mate is marrying his qt3.14 jap gf around the same time, so I will be staying with him a few days aswell.
>>
oh okay. you'll probably be zooming around for most of the trip trying to squeeze everything in.

I know there are people who are okay with only spending a couple nights in a place just to see the main sights and then move on to the next. If you're that sort of person then it seems like you've already got everything sorted - have fun!
>>
>>890094
Yeah I'm like that most of the time, unless somewhere really captures me, then I stay until the magic is gone.
>>
>>890092
sounds like a golden opportunity for cuckold
>>
>>890067
Tell them to get fucked and go home - you aren't obligated to stay late. Your hours are in your contract - once you've been there working for 8 hours you can go home and there's nothing they can do about it.

If you have no time to plan lessons during the day then stop planning them. If your lessons suck as a result - it's neither your fault nor your problem - they're not going to sack you and you're not going to get any benefit from being the best teacher ever. It's their responsibility to give you sufficient time.
Plus if you've been there for three months you should have the routine pretty well down by now. Just reuse the same activities every week for a month. If the kids get bored - too bad - it's still nominally a class and not playtime.

Once I left Amity and started teaching kids with much less games and such, I realised how endless games really ruin them. They suck up time and the kids don't necessarily learn any better for them. When they're not trained to expect a game every five minutes they're actually quite happy to learn English - games are just a bonus.

Also - go home for lunch if you live close by. Or go to a restaurant - get out of the office, in any case.

You really didn't 'have to' stay. Maybe they told you to and maybe they exerted social pressure or whatever but making staff stay back late (unless there's a special class that you're getting paid high level overtime for) is against company policy and the trainers should have told you that during training. Plus it's illegal. Seriously - assert yourself a little. Or quit, because otherwise your year is going to be awful.
>>
How's Japan in early December?

I am planning to go there during the first or second week of December. From what I have read, it's late Fall during that time. Is it to late to see Momijis? How cold is it? I don't really like Winter since I came from the tropics, but I could tolerate 16~17 degree Celsius.
>>
>>890266
Depends where you go. Hokkaido during the winter gets lots of snowfall and is typically below close to freezing, while Kyushu is a bit warmer, with temperatures above freezing, but below the 16 degrees like you mentioned.
>>
File: 20121202_112542_HDR.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20121202_112542_HDR.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>890266
It is a bit late for momiji, but you should still get some depending on the area.
Japan is long and thin country; all in lattitude. Goes from Hokkaido which is bordering Russia, to Okinawa in the tropics. Climate changes.
In the Honshuu, which is where you'll probably go, it can be relatively cold, 5~15 degree. Surprisingly people from Indonesia/Philippines I met there could handle the winter rather well.
>December 2nd, Kyushu (Beppu)
>>
>>889643
If I am a 18 year old virgin and I try to go to one of those soaplands, will they card me for ID?
I'm Japanese American and I can speak Japanese fluently, but the idea of having to deal with a yakuza bouncer does not sound safe
>>
>>890348
Only drinking age is 20 in Japan. As far as I know, 18 is okay for Soaplands. I know 18 is okay for buying adult video and shit like that. So you'd be fine even if they collected ID.

>but the idea of having to deal with a yakuza bouncer does not sound safe

Seriously stop worrying about this shit.
>>
>>890365
When I went to some anime/hentai/visual novel places, they ID'd me. Melon books and Animate both ID'd me when I tried to buy any doujinshi or visual novel. Shit was mad embarrassing (especially since their was a massive line behind me) so I just pretended I couldn't speak Japanese, but then the cashier took out a laminated card explaining in english that I needed a ID. Didn't know that they ID you for fucking hentai but not for alcohol, so I left my passport at home unfortunately.
>>
>>890365
Voting and cigarettes are also only for 20 year olds
>>
>>890275
I'm from Brazil and I stayed in Shizuoka during winter and i loved the cold! -5°C is my favorite temperature and it was really nice to be in a place where temperatures don't vary madly during the day.
>>
>>890443
The only issue I have with low temperatures in Japan is that indoor and outdoor temperature does not really change that much. Insulation is close to non-existent. If it's cold outside, it's cold inside.
>>
File: image.jpg (674KB, 1550x1300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
674KB, 1550x1300px
>>890447
Kotatau is the solution! Instead of spending energy heating the entire house heat just the table!

A kotatsu is a relatively inexpensive way to stay warm in the winter, as the futons trap the warm air. Families may choose to concentrate their activity in this one area of the house in order to save on energy costs. In the summer, the blanket may be removed, and the kotatsu can be used as a normal table.
>>
>>890275
>>890273
So the further south I go, the more likely it is for me to be able to see the Momijis? Thanks I'll search for some more info about the area than, from this thread alone it seem that Fukuoka is not bad.

Speaking of cold, last year I've been to Zhejiang and looking at the map it has lower lattitude than Japan, and the cold is pretty uncomfortable for me. But that was my first time experiencing winter plus when I go there it was near the end of the year. Hopefully it won't be as cold in the early December.
>>
>>890453
>He likes living in two climates

It sucks in summer to go from a relatively cold room to sweltering heat when I need to take a shower or shit and in winter is sucks going from a nice toasty room to a freezing cold climate when I want to take a shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (840KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
840KB, 1536x2048px
A buddy of mine bought me these japanese candies that come with a sticker inside. I don't know much kanji but any idea what this says? Much appreciated
>>
>>890584
I means "good fortune."
>>
>>890586
Ooh. Thank you anon.
>>
Anybody want to share budget plans? I just want a general idea of what to spend on food, activities, etc. I know it varies, I just want some ideas.

Also, any tips on cutting costs?
>>
File: 220px-Japanese_nationalism.jpg (15KB, 220x162px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Japanese_nationalism.jpg
15KB, 220x162px
I've been to Japan this year and since I'm a weeaboo I visited the town of Oarai because of Girls und Panzer.
As I went back to the station, I came across some vans with japanese flags and loudspeakers playing music.
I soon realised that these must bee the japanese nationalists.

Now to my question:
Do they pose a danger to tourists? I'm a white, tall guy from Switzerland. I honestly thought about giving them the nazi salute as they drove past me.
>>
>>890600
Give it a gamble if you feel like it.
Just like any political group, the Japanese right-wingers aren't a hivemind - you'll find neo-Nazis and nationalist communists alike. Most of them only have problems with Koreans (pretty much a sure bet), Chinese (often) and Americans (though that's usually on a less racial and more political level).
In the end, if you feel like showing solidarity or whatever you were trying to pull, go ahead and do it. It's Japan, not even right-wingers will do anything to you in the middle of the street.
>>
>>890595
here's what I found on Couchsurfing a while ago.
http://www.broketourist.net/7-days-in-tokyo-for-100/

It's a bit extreme, but there are a few things on how to live extremely cheapo

I am going in three weeks and I will have a daily budget of 80-90€, excluding accommodation and transport (except for public transport in the city)
>>
>>890642
You're being helpful, so I'm sorry to ask more questions, but what would you consider extreme? In your opinion, what is worth splurging on?
>>
>>890541
In São Paulo is not uncommon to go from a cold morning to a very hot noon. So you go out of your house with clothes for cold weather and them you are caught in an very hot afternoon.

Also I like more cold than heat. I can put warm clothes to fight cold but when it is very hot not even taking out all your clothes is enough
>>
When I walk alone through roppongi in the evening, there are always those black dudes who talk to me and are telling me about some "nice dance and strip clubs". I always shake them off, because this shit smells fishy as hell.

someone has experience with them and will I encounter them as well in Osaka?
>>
>>890675
Do black people really have to ruin every country?
>>
>>890675
Yeah they kept hassling me in roppongi too. I went into a club with my friends because it said free entry but at the door the curtain was drawn and we had to buy a drink. My friend asked the black doorman how he is going and he got all fucking pissed and aggressively replied "BUYING A DRINK?" We just fucked off after that.

Two more black guys worth noting was one who kept following us for awhile asking us endless annoying questions and another who just went up to two japanese girls and put his arms around them and started talking. You could tell he didn't know them from a bar of soap and was being a nuisance.

If you don't like em I'd keep an eye out in Amerikamura, Kansai and Ueno Ameyoko in Tokyo. They aren't advertising titty bars or club but they hustle you to buy some fake clothes. I said no to one and he was all like "FUCK YO MANG" and I just kept walking.
>>
>>890675
just ignore them
>>
>>890707

yeah, but it's difficult if you just want to check out the area and maybe find some cute girls to hang out with.
>>
Does anyone know what the "autograph" like books for shrines are called?

its basically a small book that you take to a shrine and you pay like...10-100 yen for them to sign it saying you were there.
>>
>>890713
???
>>
I kinda want to go around japan with a bike and a backpack, just tour the country.

Would this be a terrible idea or an awful idea?
>>
>>890727
terribly awful
>>
>>890727
I'd love to join you. Got shit to do with my life.
>>
>>890727
There are some nice videos of motorcycle riding on japan,
>>
File: 294276_111222170530284_STD.jpg (20KB, 312x235px) Image search: [Google]
294276_111222170530284_STD.jpg
20KB, 312x235px
Hey /trv/!, if you were to plan a week-long culinary trip in Japan, what would your itinerary look like?
Or just name a few must visit spots!
In addition to foods I am also very interested in local alcohols and cigars...(if cigars are a thing in Japan?)...
What do you have for me /trv/!?
>>
>>890765
>Culinary trip
Tokyo sushi (next to the fish market)
Osaka takoyaki and okonomiyaki
Kobe beef (hell expensive)
Kyoto tonkatsu (not exactly a specialty of the area, but there's a renowned tonkatsu restaurant on top of the station which is seriously to die for.) and stuff with Matcha
Fukuoka tonkotsu ramen
Okinawa taco rice

That should be good enough for a week, and leaves you plenty to see when you're not eating.
Some people do smoke cigar, but it's mostly imported I think, not exactly local.
>>
>>890724
And if you want the pronunciation, it's "Shuincho".

>>890727
It's been done before with success.
>http://youtu.be/BWz-NJlD3bk
>>
>>890710
They are called touts, pretty much every Asian country has them, the ones in Japan that talk to foreigners happen to black. If you are with Japanese people or are Asian you'll get equally harassed by the Japanese ones depending on where you go.

They are paid to bring people into the club. Its their job but if you talk to them like people they are glad to talk about something besides the club since they pretty much all hate their job.

Also you're a dumbass if you think any bar or club is going to let you in free and not make you buy a drink.
>>
>>890808
>>>/pol/
>>
>>890789
The Okonomiyaki in Osaka taste exactly the same as what you get in Tokyo. If you want something different you want Hiroshima style
>>
>>889677
my provider lets me use my unlimited texting and data most of the world over, including japan. you don't have something like this?
>>
/trv/ do i exchange my money before I go to Japan or withdraw it while i'm there? I'm taking about £1000 in spending money and don't fancy having that much on me in cash when i go over there, but i've also heard you can have some trouble trying to find places to withdraw money.
>>
>>890805

>
Also you're a dumbass if you think any bar or club is going to let you in free and not make you buy a drink

I never thought that, and I'm not really into clubs or bars but I was in one of this english pubs (dunno the name anymore) and it had a nice and kind atmosphere and I didnt felt forced.

I just read some stories only about those nigerian clubs where you get druged or you have to pay for overpriced drinks ( or sometimes both) and it seems my intention was right.
>>
>>890820

sorry for failing at green texting
>>
>>890818
Just get it changed before you go to make things easier.

Japans a very safe country and you'll be fine travelling out with the cash and just leaving what you don't need each day in your room safe/locked in your suitcase.
>>
>>890669
well it's 100$/week I'd say that is extreme. Hostels usually run between 15-30€ (I payed 25€). Foodwise you could probably survive on 5-10€/day and there are many free attractions.

Well, I was thinking of staying at a nice Ryokan in Hakone or Nikko. Maybe a dinner in a nice restaurant would be nice. And souvenirs for friends/family and also some things that I'd buy for myself
>>
>>890818

well, I changed some money back in my home country (about 300 €) for the first days and then I could easily get money from the ATMs at the 7/11 with my visacard.
>>
>>890727
here you go. Considered doing it too. Check the comments, I asked them how much it cost them there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAZ1yhS2Yk
>>
>>890818
Any JP Post office has ATMs, most 7/11 have ATMs, FamiMa has them, Lawson does.
I don't see why you would exchange in an office at home with shitty rates when you can simply use an ATM in Japan and get more money for less

But then again you could fall asleep in public with 10k yen in your hands and would wake up with not a single yen less, Japan is pretty safe
>>
>>890827
are the exchange rates at ATMs the same as the official rates?
>>
>>890817
every carrier does that, however it can be a hell of a lot cheaper to just buy a throw away
>>
>>890813
abd sushi in new york at a $$$$$ restaurant tastes the same as Tokyo. the experience is travelling and eating.
>>
>>890828
that depends on your bank (ask them) but using a visa card on ATMs with a Visa logo on them is free (as in no transaction fess or something and most ATMs have that logo on it) and so I only need to pay the exchange rate my bank uses (which is the eurofx rate) + 1,5% fee for foreign currency which is still cheaper than exchanging in an office
and if you check the daily rate online you can get lucky and catch a good day for depositing at a favorable rate
>>
>>890831
ah I see. Don't have a Visa unfortunately, but I think I'll just see if I can exchange part of it at home with a bank and then withdraw the rest while I am there
>>
>>890820
That only happens when you're an idiot and you go to some shady hostess (not a normal bar) and you're the only patron there. Japan is safe but you have to use common sense.
>>
>>890834

glad I'm smart enough to avoid those places
>>
>>890818
I just came from Japan, and I only have a Visa. It's not hard at all to find places to withdraw. You can also ask at the reception of wherever you are staying, they'll know where the nearest 7-11 with an ATM is.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 220x382px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 220x382px
Anyone have any experience with music festivals in Japan? Particularly edm. Does Japan have their own equivalent of wooks?

>would also be interested in underground, avant-garde, noise/punk shows
>>
>>890813
True. And Miyajima has yet another I heard? Or maybe it's the same as Hiroshima.
>>
>>890863
>noise/punk shows
Yes please
>>
Hey,
I have seen some post about where to go in order to pick up some girls interested in western guy in tokyo.Unfortunatly i totally missed it.

Any update on that please?
Also, general questions about how to talk to japanse women.
Any good pick up line? ^^
>>
File: 1406065652163.jpg (177KB, 869x920px) Image search: [Google]
1406065652163.jpg
177KB, 869x920px
My girlfriend is studying in Japan this semester. She forgot some things that I'll need to send to her. What else can I include that she might miss from America?

Also, this might not be the place to ask but does anyone have experience with long distance relationships? The timezone difference is making it kind of difficult to keep in touch and this is hitting me really hard on top of all the other stuff I have to deal with.
>>
>>890924
dude fuck off
>>
Anyone know if it's possible to open ports on Leonet internet?
>>
>>890937
It'll be rough, you'll have to modify your schedule some if you want extra time with her. Also it's kind of a testament to how well the relationship will hold up long term anyway.
>>
>>890863
Don't know about ECM, but I've been to 7 concerts (metal/punk/noise) here so far and man do the crowds vary. As well as your typical looking metal heads or punks, you can see beautiful girl dressed in normal attire attending by themselves, businessmen and obasans too.

I wouldn't know where to look exactly to seek out concerts as I mainly found shows via following bands Facebook pages etc.
>>
>>891033
Ah actually I kinda know. For tokyo I recommend looking at the following venues websites:
Shibuya O Nest
The Loft
Kurawood
Club Goodman

Osaka:
Conpass
Club Quattro

Fancy jazz shit: blue note (in Nagoya, Osaka and Tokyo)

My favorite joint was Conpass in Osaka. It's with an "n" not an "m"
>>
>>890832
7-11 only accepts visa. JP post offices accept MasterCard. Both are plentiful.
Don't worry about carrying lots of cash around, nobody is going to rob you. My friend left his mobile phone in the back of a taxi. 2 months later he received it in the mail back in Australia as he left his address inside the battery cover.
>>
>>890902
>>890863
There's some Boris/Envy/Touche Amore shows in Tokyo coming up in the next two months I plan to go to.

I'm having a hard time finding that scene in Ibaraki but apparently it exists.
>>
>>891035
how is Blue Note? Anything specific about fancy jazz places?
>>
>>890870
Its the same, they're like 20 minutes apart. Miyajima is known for Anago
>>
>>890937
Do NOT use any form of instant messenger. You will get sick of each other within a month.

Write emails or ideally write paper letters. If she is gone for more than 4 months you should just break up now.
>>
>>891068
ah that's good to hear, I am going to take a Master Card with me then.

I am not afraid of being robbed to be honest, rather of losing it. But I am just going to take around 1000+ € in cash and the rest, just withdraw whenever I need it
>>
>>891138
1000€ is like 140k yen. That's a fuckload of paper.
>>
Hey guys,

I'll be in Tokyo for a scholarship program for two weeks, atleast something imo
My question is: Do you know any good fashion stores, not searching for western shops like Zara, Bershka etc. but nice japanese brands, could be even indie i dont care.
>>
>>891125
good advice.

IM is a boner killer to friendships or relationships or anything that thrives off of personal communication. It's kind of like texting
>>
>>891154
lol poor people
>>
>>891185
Go to Harajuku. Get into the back area and you'll find clothes of every single style. Easiest way to get to the back area is to find the J-Box Doner Kebab cross the street, go past the AU and then just go down every street.
>>
>>891154
I'll try to do maybe 10x10k notes and the rest in 5k 2k and 1k. Just have to find a bank that can exchange Euros to Yen here
>>
Packing list for three weeks: what should I add remove? Will be mostly staying in hostels and also gonna be on Okinawa for five days.
>4 tshirts
>1-2 tank tops
>two pairs of shorts
>one pair of trousers (that I'll be wearing during the flight)
>seven pairs of underwear and socks
>additional pair of shoes (might buy there though)
>pair of comfy sweatpants
>shirt
>swimming trunks
>toiletries
>medication
>camera
>daypack
>e reader
>>
>>891205
if male, add condoms
>>
>>891207
oh yeah, thanks!
>>
>>891207
Why would being male change the fact that they should have condoms? Girls should have condoms on hand too
>>
>>891213
They can get them on location if they're going to fuck Jap guys.
>>
>>890789
I heard there was a place where they make eel so good that even that vegetarian crazy guy called Steve Jobs would make an exception. I have to check where it was.
>>
>>891185
What's your budget? Homegrown Japanese labels run from the cheapest of the cheap to multi-thousand dollar items. Would also help if you gave me an idea of what you want, because they can be incredibly specific.
>>
>>891190
what?
>>891202
Don't take any money with you and use an ATM at the airport. 30k should get you far enough and then you can always get more if you need it.
>>
>>891185
Harajuku definitely and just check out the big department stores all over, they have Japanese fashion stores in them (obviously)
>>
>>891251
Don't listen to this guy. Japan is the safest place to have cash on hand and if you can avoid international transaction fees you should
>>
>>891253
>international transaction fees
if you have a shit bank that's your problem m8
it's just dumb to take 1k€ with you when you're not even sure you need all of it. and bringing foreign currency back and exchanging that is even more retarded
>>
>>891254
1000€ is half my budget so I am pretty sure that I am going to need it. I'll have to ask tomorrow about the exact fees, they're 2.50€ for one withdrawal here, so maybe the international one is similar
>>
>>891256
Its usually a small flat fee plus a percentage of what you take out
>>
>>891197
Yeah thanks I thought about wandering around the streets, but it would be nice to have an actual shop to visit since our program is quite strict.

>>891249
Thanks for asking! My budget for clothing is 200€ I just want to find a nice jacket, tshirts or sweatshirts :) something wearable and not to influenced by a certain style - something I can wear in Europe hahah
Thanks for your help and further recommendations!

>>891252
Do you know if the 109 store is worth a visit?
>>
>>891287
Your budget is actually pretty low and if you buy new you're going to get a lot of trash imo, or at best it'll be okay but not really unique or special. My advice would be to hunt down their vintage stores, because Japanese fashion people will buy gorgeous multi-thousand dollar garments and then just consign them for next to nothing, but I don't know of any in particular in Tokyo. I'd start researching now and you'll know they're good by googling the names of what they're stocking.
>>
>>891290
So like thrift stores right? Yeah I know it's low, I just wanted to find one piece not a whole outfit. But could you still name the stores even if my budget is low? Thanks!
>>
Anyone here took EJU?
>>
>>891300
If you want to thrift go to Shimokitazawa. Just go there, don't ask any more question.
>>
>>890203
Anybody got info on westgate for teaching? Is it ok or does it suck? Are there any scams involved?
>>
Welp I officially bought my ticket last night and I leave in 5 weeks.
Hold me.
>>
Well i officially bought my ticket last night and I leave in 5 weeks.
Hold me.
>>
>>891394
congrats dude im fucking jealous.
i'll be there in a year or two :))))
>>
matsuzaka beef is better than Kobe. Dont fall for the marketing hype
>>
>>891287
If you're a woman 109 is great
>>
>>890365
>drinking age is 20

They don't even fucking card at bars. I've lived in Japan for 10 years, and they have never once carded me even though I look like a 14 year old white boy.
>>
>>891394
Let's hope you have a passport/visa.
>>
>>890087
that's quite an itinerary. extremely ambitious. if it's just you by yourself, and you are in shape and on time for every train/bus that's still going pretty tough. dress and travel light but carry plenty of water. Unless you are renting a car. then you'll hit everything, so long as you can find parking. also hope you like humidity, when we were there earlier a few weeks ago the humidty fluctuated between 80%-97% except for Hiroshima and Miyajima. Those felt great.
>>
>>891465
No visa as I will be there for exactly 90 days but I do have a passport.
>>
>>891499
I'm a fat fuck but that hasn't stopped me hiking up some serious mountains, I will be travelling heavy, 20kg big bag and a 8kg small bag, but it hasn't stopped me yet and the humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue as I have been hiking in Laos and cambodia and it wasn't so bad.Looking forward to hokkaido the most I think.Though the jap castles look bretty gud.
>>
>>891461
Honesty, the U.S. is pretty much the only country where they actually card you.
>>
>>891538
Australia they do aswell.
>>
>>891541
we have strict fines if you don't check
>>
>>891205
any more thoughts on this?
>>
I returned from Japan a few days ago, What do you guys, who have already been, miss the most?

I miss three things from Japan:

- Train and metro systems
- Toilets (delicious heat in WC board)
- The way girls dress

I really like how women dress in Japan. It's a lot more feminine than the liberal lesbians of the west.
>>
>>891562
food,trains and my new friends
>>
>>891562
I remember getting back from Japan for the first time... I immediately missed the positive attitude from all the workers. It's not that the guys in America were particularly rude, but I guess I got used to everyone in Japan smiling and using a polite tone of voice, speaking to you like a human being rather than short, curt phrases.
>>
That's the only airfield from my destination if I fly Delta or ANA, unless I want to come in at 10:00p. Is Haneda really worth it?
>>
>>891590
I don't know why that anon prefers Haneda. I've never been, but I navigated Narita with no problems.
>>
>>891590
Haneda is not worth it IMO, the only time I flew into it was on domestic flights though. so who knows
>>
>>891593
It's just a lot easy to get to the heart of Tokyo.
Takes nowhere near as much time as from Narita.
And god knows that, when you arrive after a 12-ish hour flight, you want to find your hotel/hostel quickly.
At least, that's how I feel, since I am never able to sleep on the plane.
>>
>>891562
>I really like how women dress in Japan. It's a lot more feminine than the liberal lesbians of the west.

>dat overstatement
>>
>>891611
Exageration promotes understanding.
Not sure if that saying works in english.
But it was just to make a point. But only like 1/30 women where I live where either a dress or a skirt.
>>
>>891612
Exaggeration*
>>
File: 1393360784989.jpg (98KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1393360784989.jpg
98KB, 480x640px
>>891609
Ah, I only ever used it as a hub to switch flights. If you're looking to get straight into Tokyo, it might seem far, I guess.

>>891611
He's not wrong, though. Japanese women's fashion is typically a lot softer and cuter at least than that of America. In America, you see a lot of jeans and t-shirts, but in Japan, there are more skirts and dresses, flowers and frills. It's nice.
>>
>>891620
It's better than Uggs and Northface for sure, but I honestly think Japanese fashion is overrated and try hard a lot of the time (and I'm just talking regular people fashion not visual kei or harajuku girls or any of that teenager shit). The lacy flowery stuff doesn't do it for me, however I have noticed a lot of Japanese women wear stirrup leggings these days (I live in Japan), which are nice and make my dick hard.

I wish loose socks were still a thing. Admittedly, try hard as well, but man, muh dick.
>>
>>891659
I live in Japan too and I have to agree, it's far more feminine here than it is back home. I absolutely hate it though and it seems the only deviations are those blonde haired high school girls wearing the Eastern equivalent of Hot Topic. Then again I'm not really connected with the college age scene here so it could be different, but I do find it a bit annoying.
>>
What are the laws/culture surrounding smoking in Japan?

Will I be hated if I just discard the butt onto the pavement as I am accustomed to doing?
>>
>>891612
You're right man, whatever happened to women wearing shorts, I go to church some Sundays and skirts are pretty much the rule (knee length of course haha) but its really refreshing seeing women dress like women.

But no, if you say that anywhere you get called a pervert who just wants to look up skirts or a misogynistic woman hating person that just wants to take away women's independence.
>>
>>891687
>Will I be hated if I just discard the butt onto the pavement as I am accustomed to doing?
Why would you do that in the first place?
>>
>>891713
Because there's not always a trashcan when you need one and I'm not putting a stinking cig butt in my pocket.
>>
>>891719
then *gasp* stop fucking smoking. it's terrible for you and no one near you like the smell. your teeth are yellowing, your skin is aging faster, and you're likely to get lung cancer.

Go get some fucking patches or gum and quit that shit.
>>
>>891719
that's why you have pocket ashtrays that you can securely close.
flip a butt on the street in japan and you'll get your ass yakuza'd.
there are designated smoker zones which are usually packed because japs somehow seem to manage not being butt flipping assholes even in a huge ass metropolis like tokyo and use the smoking areas instead so fuck you and your fuck ass attitude you shite
>>
>>891721
Oh shut up fucking faggot he can do as he pleases.
>>
>>891719
>there's no trashcan when I want one
If you feel so home, it will only be worse in Japan. There are rather few trashcans across the city. People keep their trash with them, and dispose of it when they find a proper place. The sideways are not a proper place, which is why you'll find them very clean.
Please don't be the one person in the whole country to trash the place up.
>>
>>891721
Why do you feel the need to dictate other peoples lives based on your own moral disposition? Fuck off.

>>891724
Thanks for a legit answer. I'll look into a pocket ashtray I didn't even know such a thing existed.

>so fuck you and your fuck ass attitude you shite
I'll always put a butt into a trashcan if one is provided and I don't litter in any other way. You're judging my whole attitude based on a really insignificant action.
>>
>>891731
np bro, just can't seem to not be an asshole on the internet.
actually i couldn't give two shits less about you throwing butts on the street but it still kinda pisses me off when people do that.
just stop smoking. :^)
>>
What kind of jobs do they have for foreigners besides teaching english? What prompted some of you to move there ? Is it even possible to migrate there on a budget?
>>
>>891737
sucking cock in ni chome
>>
>>891731
>don't litter in any other way

Really?
>I litter a fucking lot
>but other than that, I don't
>>
>>891737
none unless you have an advanced dgree, highly skilled serviceor stationed in the military
>>
>>891731
>moral disposition
you mean science and basic health? gl dying young m8
>>
>>891737
>What kind of jobs do they have for foreigners besides teaching english?

Skilled jobs mainly, and company jobs for people who have been transferred or know Japanese well.

If you know Japanese well (like N1 JLPT) there are various company opportunities and things like that.
>>
>>889774
pretty sure the express train isn't covered in the JR pass. You can get a cheaper fare on the express train if you get one of the Suica train cards though. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_nex.html
>>
>>891811
Are those really the only opportunities? I was hoping that taking Japanese up until intermediate Japanese in college would at least give me an advantage. I mean it's not that it's impossible, it's just quite far out.
>>
Should I study abroad in Japan or South Korea?

Getting such mixed answers from people I ask.
>>
>>891831
Japan is not a 3rd world country and most people go to college. If they don't need English why would they hire someone they can't communicate with?
>>
>>891890
Some like Korea, some like Japan.
>>
>>891737
It's English teacher or contracted engineer, that's really it.

>>891831
They might let you work at a convenience store for minimum wage; even the fluent non-ESL gaijin I know just work retail at department stores in Tokyo, or MAYBE in a gaijin restaurant if they studied culinary for years.
>>
>>891890

It depends on what your career goals are. A big part of studying broad is about making contacts in that country. A Japanese company will more likely hire you if you already spent time there, my college friend studied there for a semester and is now working for Mizuho.
>>
File: 1409034447938.jpg (27KB, 473x461px) Image search: [Google]
1409034447938.jpg
27KB, 473x461px
I'm 18 years old, going to Japan at the end of the year. I want to party in Japan but am under the alcohol age for the country. What do under-20s do in Japan to party? What constitutes a fun social outing for the Japanese and how might I as a foreigner get in on this?

I ask this question because I'm going to go to Japan with a bunch of nerdy weeaboos who will probably be happy with a trip to Comiket and six days looking at ecchi in Akihabara. I have a few friends already in Japan from when I went there a couple years ago, so I could hang out with them (they're all my age).

Wat do /trv/?
>>
File: 1408853240661.gif (2MB, 250x194px) Image search: [Google]
1408853240661.gif
2MB, 250x194px
/mu/tant and musician here (ausfag). Considering moving to japan and taking up a job as an ESL teacher to pay the bills while i work on my music. How feasible is a plan like that, and how do the Japanese see foreign music in general?
>>
>>891921
shinjuku marz runs day time music events
>>
Anyone know of a good Indiana/Illinois school with a good transfer program? Have been taking a year off and I could use a couple of location changes in my life
>>
>>891898
>>891904
I get that. I guess I'll have to hope I get transferred there by an American company.
>>
>>891922
some other questions for you to /mu/se over:
Do you speak japanese and is this the only country - if not perhaps there are other countries paying more? - i was considering this as an option about 15yrs ago - about the time .jp stopped paying the big $$$ for teachers.
Also, have you stopped to consider how just living in .jp will affect your musical expression?
It was still feasible when I was looking, but the demand was dropping along with the salary. Just do your research properly and fully consider your choices, and their consequences.
>>
>>891921
They drink because no one ever cards in Japan for alcohol and clubs are 18+. The one time in a thousand they do there are no consequences for saying I forgot my ID at home
>>
>>891931
OSU duh

there is seriously only two or three schools in those two states that support quality international programs
>>
>>891949
Most american companies hire locally, wheever they need americans there they just fly them in as "consultants" for a short period of time. Not the rule, but very much the norm
>>
>>891899
/thread
>>
How many people don't recommend going to Japan on a 90 day tourist visa and then going to Korea to get your work visa after i get my paperwork?

I graduate May 7, My apartment lease ends May 31, but i wont get my paperwork in til i am assuming sometime in late June early July. Already have the job lined up/where i live/etc.
>>
>>892012
That might be the best I can hope for but hey it's something. I remember a guy here a couple threads ago who said he taught English, then got hired at an American company while he was overseas and still lives and works there. That's kind of what I was hoping to do, but I know that's not really a common thing. I just have no clue how I'd even begin.
>>
>>892084
start looking through american companies that have places of operation in japan.
>>
going to japan in 10 days

How do i recognize a smoking area?

What are the general rules of smoking?

where do i buy a pocket ashtray?

Also...

change euro here or there?
>>
File: c0248400_554288[1].png (10KB, 359x331px) Image search: [Google]
c0248400_554288[1].png
10KB, 359x331px
>>892154
>How do i recognize a smoking area?
There will be signs.

>What are the general rules of smoking?
Other than Tokyo (I think), you can smoke outside if you want. You may get dirty looks. No smoking in trains or buses. In train stations/restaurants, only smoke in designated areas.

>where do i buy a pocket ashtray?
Not sure on this one. Maybe at a convenience store near the cigarettes. I see advertisements online for them at ??? (zakka-ya), kind of catch-all stores. By the way, the Japanese for "pocket ashtray" is ???? (keitai haizara).
>>
>>892164
thanks!
>>
File: asdas.jpg (353KB, 1561x759px) Image search: [Google]
asdas.jpg
353KB, 1561x759px
>>892167
Also, pocket ashtrays may not be obvious. Here are some google results for ????. If you can't find one, I know my coworker just uses an empty screw-top coffee can (a small one) and puts his butts in there.
>>
>>892170
keitai haizara... keitai haizara...

i'll remember this

maybe i'll find some anime themed one at akihabara!

you really helped me! i'm grateful!

About money exchange... i was thinking about changing them in a japanese post office... how are the rates?
>>
File: Japan Post Intl ATM Service.jpg (231KB, 581x1182px) Image search: [Google]
Japan Post Intl ATM Service.jpg
231KB, 581x1182px
>>892179
Sorry, I can't find any rates on the JP website. I did find this information about withdrawing from ATM's with a foreign card, though.
>>
>>889643
>tfw no Japanese gf to have sex with every night
>I cry every time

I did have sex with a Japanese but she was 28 and wasn't very attractive.
>>
I am a white california guy back from a 2 week trip in Japan for the first time. Here is my impression from just a brief glance: Ill admit I have a little bit of yellow fever, but to be totally honest in tokyo there were plenty of ugly ass chicks and hot chicks who could give a shit less about me because I am not rich( also tons of beautiful women.) Being white is probably less important than being tall, much less important than being rich(sorry weeboos.) The women seem really reserved and it would be hard as hell to get with out taking them on nice dates unless you want a slut or an ugly one. Japanese people are the nicest people in the god damn world. Japan felt wayyy safer than the U.S.. People who know Japan better how close was my summary?
>>
>>892211
>in tokyo there were plenty of ugly ass chicks and hot chicks who could give a shit less about me because I am not rich
>Being white is probably less important than being tall, much less important than being rich
Never been to Tokyo, so I can't say.

>The women seem really reserved and it would be hard as hell to get with out taking them on nice dates unless you want a slut or an ugly one
Probably pretty spot on.

>Japanese people are the nicest people in the god damn world
Yes.

>Japan felt wayyy safer than the U.S.
Yes.
>>
>>892211
No way you're white.
>>
any good arcade at ikebukuro?
>>
File: 1408853717863.gif (967KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1408853717863.gif
967KB, 250x188px
>>891998
Wait lemme get this straight
You can go to clubs at 18 but can drink at 20?

LOL
>>
>>891953
Yeah I was considering Hong Kong as an alternative, cause there are great salaries out of there. But I speak Japanese, and I don't speak any dialects of Chinese.
>>
Hard Mode Question:

All the guys here are asking how to picky up Japanese women, but as a woman, I'm curious to know how you can pick up Japanese men.

I've heard a bit about "Happening clubs/bars" do any still exist, and where around Tokyo would I find them?
>>
>>892245
It's basically the same at the clubs I go to in the US. 18 for entry, 21 for drinks
>>
>>892278
That's pretty great. I could probably just pregame in that case
>>
>>892273
I can't really speak from experience, but I've heard that you have to be pretty assertive about it as many Japanese men are intimidated by western women. But I've also heard that some Japanese men are turned off by the assertive personalities of western women, so... I guess just do what you always do?
>>
>>892273
Japanese men are chicken. So I would try to make the first move and get him comfortable, while maintaining a "pure" disposition
>>
>>890696
Yes.
>>
>>890705
They show up in Harajuku as well. Been there about three times, still the same fuckers tellin me to buy their shitty overpriced hoodies.
>>
File: MAESTRO.jpg (36KB, 589x290px) Image search: [Google]
MAESTRO.jpg
36KB, 589x290px
>>892185
anyone knows if it's now actually possible to withdraw money with cards that have these chips? I have a Maestro, as well as a Master Card but both have the chip (pic related). Will I be able to withdraw money?
>>
File: Maestro Card Use in Japan.png (33KB, 864x267px) Image search: [Google]
Maestro Card Use in Japan.png
33KB, 864x267px
>>892306
According to the website, if the card was issued in Asia, Canada, or the Netherlands, you're OK even with the chip. If your card was issued elsewhere and contains a chip, you'll have to use one of these AEON Bank ATM's to withdraw cash.
>http://www.mastercard.co.jp/personal/jp-atm-location-aeon-en.html
>>
File: master card.jpg (61KB, 350x223px) Image search: [Google]
master card.jpg
61KB, 350x223px
>>892309
this confuses me a little: does Maestro Branded mean just Maestro cards like the one I posted, or also Master Cards (like pic related)?

I had people in previous threads telling me that it's going to be okay, but I am not quite sure
>>
File: Maestro Card Use in Japan.png (44KB, 864x267px) Image search: [Google]
Maestro Card Use in Japan.png
44KB, 864x267px
>>892309
Actually, I guess I should have used a different color scheme...
>>
>>892310
MasterCard is OK, it's the Maestro that's having chip difficulties now.
>>
>>892312
ah that's good to know, thanks for that!
>>
>>892313
Mastercard works perfectly fine at Japan Post Bank ATMs. Also you can use it for purchases at places like Aeon/Yodobashi/Bic etc.

Also don't forget that for purchases on items that cost more than 10,000 yen you can get your 8% tax back. At Yodobashi they will do it on the spot for you.
>>
File: Soup-Nazi.jpg (63KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
Soup-Nazi.jpg
63KB, 768x960px
>>892331
>At Yodobashi they will do it on the spot for you.

As long as you have your passport with you. If not, then forget it -- no tax rebate for you!
>>
>>892335
That's true. But it's law to carry your passport on you at all times in Japan if you're on a tourist visa anyway.
>>
Now,..
I've just finished watching Darker than Black, but I
lost the will to continue viewing it halfway in,
it got better later though, and it climaxed at the end.
I probably did a mistake taking a break halfway through,
know that it might have fucked up some of the story.
I still enjoyed the show after seeing the ending,
can it be that I should watch it once more, or might it
kill some of the 'feeling' of the show after seeing the ending?
The other question I have,
truth to be told, is season 2 worth it? I know some OVA's
exists too, but I'm not sure if they stretch too far
beyond the first season. I don't wanna ruin my experience,
the ending of the first season and desctruction of the
Gate felt pretty complete.
>>
>>892338
might try at /a/
>>
>>892273
Happening bars are for if you want to have sex on location. As a woman someone will invite you in, but for guys going by themselves its hit or miss. They are less intense than Couple Kiss clubs where only couples are allowed in and you are expected to swap partners. If you just want to meet guys in a normal setting, if you walk up to a guy you usually won't have problems but if you lead with English you might scare a lot of guys off.
>>
At the end of September I'll be studying abroad in Japan for a year.

Instead of getting a normal phone plan, I'm thinking of getting one of those data-only sims from b-mobile, or some other place.

My reasoning is that having data, even just 1gb a month, seems more useful. And nobody I know actually makes phone calls anymore. It's always texting or messaging.

I know in Japan, email is used instead of SMS, so it sounds like the data plan will let me contact or "text" the people I meet in Japan.

Is this something that would work okay? Anyone have any experience with a data-only sim?
>>
>>892338
You seem to have a pretty low powerlevel.
DTB season 2 is so bad that >>>/a/ (where this belongs) doesnt acknowledge its existence.
>>
I'm thinking about a holiday to Tokyo for just a few weeks, but my girlfriend is really concerned about the food there. She’s tried some shitty Japanese stuff here in Wales, but gets really ill when eating it (she thinks she might be allergic to MSG). She’s also never found anything she likes.
So what’s the food situation like out there?
She’s also worried about the whole sex industry as that stuff really gets to her. Is it avoidable?
>>
>>892482
no, people will literally shove Hentai magazines with tentacle rape in your face once you step outside of the airplane. Their trains are plastered with Japanese porn and the announcer inside the metro is a 40 year old MILF who tries to pronounce the station, while having an orgasm. Every hotel you visit, will give you a complementary onahole and loli doujin when you stay there. Since you are both white, you and your gf are constantly going to be asked to shoot porn with Japanese people.

Sorry bout that m8, maybe you should stay at home, it's safer
>>
>>892482
sounds like a bitch. fuck her, leave her, and go to japan by yourself.
>>
>>892489
Yeah I figured as much :\
>>
>>892482
I feel like you are in for a bad time with this woman.
>>
>>891562

For me it was:

- Food
- Skirts and dresses
- Stores like 100 yen and convenience stores

Seriously, skirts makes you turn heads over girls you wouldn't give a fuck if she were wearing pants.
>>
>>892507
Oh, maybe I should change the stores for politeness. I miss to be well treated in stores/restaurants/etc even if they don't accept tips. Here the only reason for a good service seems to be to get a fat tip.
>>
>>892489
You know, I have the impression that some people actually believe in that.
>>
>>892507
>skirts turn heads
Damn even church girls wear skirts. I wonder why dresses/skirts are seen as so attractive to men. Is it because you see more legs or because with pants you see the outline of the legs so no surprises?
>>
>>891562

The girls do dress great, but I wish I could find ONE that has an ass. It's like they don't exist anywhere in that country unless on a foreigner.

The metro was amazing and I wish my hometown had it.

The only thing I hated about Tokyo, though, was the fact that there was never soap or trash cans ANYWHERE. Outside of that, top tier kinda town. I miss the bacon bread from Asanoya bakeries the most.
>>
>>892547
It seems many Japanese men prefer women with small butts. I don't know if it's because Japanese women tend to have flat ones or what.

I've also been told that the number of trash cans has been reduced over the past decade or so to promote the idea of "take your trash home". I find it interesting because despite the lack of trash cans, there's still less litter than a decent part of America.
>>
>>892441
No email is not used in SMS. Line is
>>
>>892547
Japanese women try their hardest to hide any kind of figure they have unless they are rail thin.
>>
>>892523
I'm not sure. The legs is a thing but I'm from a country where really short shorts are common and I still prefer skirts.

Another possible explanation is the chance of a panty shot but here skimpy bikinis are not unusual so why should that makes them look so good?

It is hard to explain, maybe it does the right combination of hide and show, or the possibility of seeing panties activate the reward system of the brain. The only thing I know is that skirts and dresses are always an improvement.

For some reason yukatas and kimonos also look good and not only they cover a lot of skin but also there is almost no chance to see panties.

I really have no idea why they look good, they just do.
>>
Don't move to Japan
>>
>>892614
why
>>
>>892615
you people will ruin it
>>
>>892616
who is "you people"
>>
>>892617
foreigners
>>
>>892618
how will foreigners ruin japan
>>
>>892619
the same way they have ruined every other country
>>
>>892620
how is that
>>
>>892621
[spoiler]you know damn well[/spoiler]

[spoiler]there is no possible situation where weeaboos will be good for it[/spoiler]
>>
>>892622
actually I don't

you didn't say weeaboos, you said foreigners

explain yourself or stop shitting up the thread
>>
>>892622
No, we don't know damn well. Don't shift burden of proof.
>>
>>892618

There have been people moving to Japan for decades. They need cheap workers to do stuff japanese people don't want to do so you got chinese, koreans, phillipinos, brazilians of japanese descend, etc. you just don't notice them because for you "they arr rook the same"
>>
>>892625
>>892623
only weeaboos aspire to go to japan thus they are the foreigners
>>
>>892628
'kay
>>
File: 1409033216080.gif (2MB, 234x200px) Image search: [Google]
1409033216080.gif
2MB, 234x200px
>>892628
>2014
>rejecting the global
>>
File: 1406506857826.jpg (47KB, 345x383px) Image search: [Google]
1406506857826.jpg
47KB, 345x383px
>>892629
mad weeaboo
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 305x165px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 305x165px
>>892631
>mad
babe
>>
>>892631
Not even close, m8. And I'm already in Japan for good so it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>892482
She's not allergic to MSG. MSG is in fucking everything.
>Japanese food in WALES.

Tokyo is a city with more Michelin star restaurants than most of Europe put together. The food scene is amazing.
Of course, there's plenty of McDonalds and Burger Kings for her.

How would the sex industry differ to any large city?
>>
>>892607
White people in yukatas and kimonos. Top kek
>>
>>892675
No one said that, m8.
>>
>>892631
Stop shitting up the thread.
>>
>>892633
How's your internet there? Could you do a speedtest.net test and post the results?
>>
File: sdfsd.jpg (74KB, 713x384px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsd.jpg
74KB, 713x384px
>>892679
I live in the boonies, though, so...
>>
>>892633
ESL lifer who married a Japanese woman?

>inb4 you're not

>>892482

Your gf sounds like a stick in the mud. But anyway... Japanese food is a lot of fish and noodles and fried things.

>She’s also worried about the whole sex industry as that stuff really gets to her. Is it avoidable?

Avoidable in what way? Seeing nothing that has to do with it whatsoever? That will be hard, but it's not hard to avoid it for the most part. Stay out of like, Kabuki cho and shit. Japan is pretty upfront about sexuality despite its absurd genital censorship laws. You will see dirty magazines out in plain sight at 7-11 and Family Mart.

>>892657
How would the sex industry differ to any large city?

It's much more visible than the average big city because it is largely legal. You can legally pay for a blowjob and anal sex in Japan. The law says no payment for vaginal sex. (Of course they get around this, you pay for everything else and you have vaginal on the side between two adults, blah blah).
>>
>>892684
Here in Melbourne prostitution is legal. You will see brothels around, although I will say they're not lit up like a christmas tree like they are in Japan. The thing is though, with everything else being lit up like a christmas tree in japan to see a sex shop is just another shop really and you keep walking. It's no big deal.
>>
Planning to go to Tokyo in December through January for 3 weeks, I've herd that Japan is pretty quiet (closed restaurants, shops, attractions etc) except for temples during 31st of Decmber-3rd of Jan, is this true? and if so would this be a good time to see the temples as they are the only thing open? Although I'd bet they are busy.
>>
>>892687
WHAT I'm in Melbourne and I didn't know this.
>>
>>892697
Melbourne Australia?
It's been legal for decades. There's brothels everywhere!
>>
>>892700
>>892700
>Melbourne Australia?
Yep>>892700
>It's been legal for decades. There's brothels everywhere!
really I've not noticed any, I've been living year for a total of 4 years
>>
Anyone got any advice on the best way to learn some Japanese for a potential trip next year?
>>
>>892733
Survival Phrases podcast if you just want to know how to say touristy stuff. If you want to learn a little more in depth grab a used copy of Genki off Amazon or Ebay. You need to know hiragana to get the most out of that book though.
>>
>>892710
http://www.melbourne-brothels.com/list-by-suburb/
enjoy, sir.
end of derail.
I just heard my cat throw up in the hallway.
real end of derail.
>>
>>892735
I would like to be able to hold a basic conversation and to read signs/menus/instructions etc. Bit more in depth than touristy shit but not fluent.

Presumably Genki doesn't teach you Hiragana? I guess I'll also need to know basic Kanji as well? Where do I start as a complete beginner?
>>
>>892762
Tae Kim's guide is great, that's what I used.
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/

RealKana is good to help you memorize or to keep practicing your hiragana and katakana.
http://www.realkana.com/
>>
>>892762
Genki can teach it to you, it's just not ideal to learn it from there. There are so many apps online that can teach it much better. It is good for retention, though, considering it gets to a point where the vocabulary is entirely in hiragana, katakana, and kanji so you have to learn to recognize them and you can't keep flipping to the front of the book to check while character means what. I would use the websites the other anon mentioned to start off with, but when you feel comfortable with written Japanese, use Genki to make sure you don't forget.

Past that, it's really good at giving you basic phrases that you'll need to know right off the bat for things like introducing yourself, asking for prices in shops, asking for directions, etc. I've been learning Japanese from several different sources, but Genki is absolutely the best and most efficient way to get started.

As an aside, I bought My Japanese Coach for the DS and it's pretty good to reiterate what you'll learn in Genki. It's not as concise and a little bit more difficult to understand, but it has cool games that help you remember as well as a huge phrasebook in it so if you have a DS I would definitely recommend that.
>>
>>892762
Kana by hand on the Google Plsy store is a great app. It's free and it helped me learn and retain hiragana katakana quite quickly. I just used it whenever I had a spare moment. The app can be quite finicky about the way it wants you to write some of the characters, but for the most part it's excellent.
>>
>>892762
>>892771
I should also add, it's probably best if you try and learn katakana first as it's used for foreign loanwords and as a tourist that's probably the stuff you want to know. Real Japanese is a mix of hiragana and kanji and it takes a long fucking time to learn kanji.
>>
>>892684
Current ESLer studying for the JLPT N1 and looking to get another job who married a Japanese man, actually.
>>
>>892833
>married a Japanese man
>taking the tiny D
>why would you even do that
>>
>>892839
A 1998 Washington Post article states 36% of young Asian Pacific American men born in the United States married White women during the year of publication.
>>
>>892695
I was in Tokyo in Akihabara during 31 december some years ago. Since new year is a festive day in my country with fireworks and stuff I stayed there to see if they had some sort of crazy video game or anime thing. There were nothing. As hours passed the stores closed. And the streets became deserted. Them I saw some people walking all in the same direction and I followed them, we ended up in a temple with food and other festival stalls at the entrance. Inside the gates they hit that big bell and they had a guy in loin cloth pound mochi with a wood hammer.
>>
>>889762

I went trough Narita's customs last year's spring, apparently the new school year was starting as it was filled with chinese and korean students. It took almost 2 hours to get trough customs only to get a stamp in the passport and a picture taken from me, only to get noticed that my luggage had been left out of the plane in Moscow.
>>
Looks like there's a new thread up, as this one's hit the bump limit.

>>892855
>>892855
>>
File: haddaway3[1].jpg (60KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
haddaway3[1].jpg
60KB, 720x450px
>>892839
>>
>>891721
I know it's four days late and I hardly ever post on /trv/ but still, go fuck yourself you elitist liberal shiteater.
>>
are the Japanese still butt-hurt over Koreans being there? I want to believe they're just tsundere but if they would otherwise hate me for it I wouldn't know what to do.
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.