[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 26

File: osaka-castle-osaka-japan.jpg (120KB, 700x441px) Image search: [Google]
osaka-castle-osaka-japan.jpg
120KB, 700x441px
New Japan General since the old one hit the bump limit and the other new one got deleted

As always, feel free to ask about:
>weeaboos
>English teaching
>Yakuza
>Will Japanese girls start dripping just because I am white?
>travel in Japan
>>
>>880600
What went wrong?
>>
>>880602
I am not sure, it seems the top post was messed up with trolling, also some questions seemed like that.

Relating the topic, is anyone around Hokkaido in the next few months?
>>
Do any of you like ??????????
>>
>>880628
they're not really my kind of music

also seems more like something to put in /jp/
>>
>>880629
Oh, okay, sorry. On topic, if I ever go to Japan, they will be the first thing I do and see there. How difficult would it be for me to find tickets? Just go to/look up the venue website like normal?
>>
If I start teaching myself japanese now, will i be fluent enough in 2 years to be able to get an internship in japan?
>>
>>880648
and ofcourse i'll work on my japanese 7 days a week. i'm not a lazyass when it comes to things i'm interest in.
>>
>>880631
keep an eye on their website/facebook page and if they ever announce dates that coincide with your travels then click on the link to buy the ticket, using googletranslate will be enough to get your through the process
>>
>>880649
No, internships do not exist the way you think they exist. and Your language skills will be laughable after 2 years regardless of how many days a week you study
>>
>>880652
any real advice? anything beside someone yelling NO w/out explaining?
>>
>>880653
>>880649
>>880648
learning japanese to a proficient level may be possible in that time, but you will not be "fluent" or have business-level (keigo) down well enough to function as a full member of an office.

So you would be about on the level of an untrained Indian dude coming to the U.S.A. looking for work, if that gives you an idea of the situation.

You didn't mention any other skills so I assume you have none.
>>
>>880660
sorry, it doesn't require amazing language skills, it's a software engineering internship.
>>
File: 1395600229731.jpg (72KB, 328x517px) Image search: [Google]
1395600229731.jpg
72KB, 328x517px
I spent a month in Japan. Just got back yesterday.

Cities, felt like, cities. But once you get out of the cities, the place really turns around and becomes something else. Very calm, everyone is pretty friendly, old people are fun to talk to, gaijin gets thrown around a lot (ohohohohoh soo mad amirite?), cars are pretty lackluster most of the time.

I went in, not sure what I was expecting. I came out realizing that Japan is an interesting place, but it doesn't warrant the attention it gets on the internet. It's a very normal country, with pretty normal people most of the time.

There were some small cultural adjustments, like how small everything is, or the fact that I can hop on the Yamanote and get basically anywhere in Tokyo. Sapporo is a kickass place as well.

If you go to Japan, don't stay in the cities, get out and see more of the countryside / rural areas. They're boring as hell sometimes, but I've found that the people there are very friendly towards foreigners and love trying their (sometimes broken / totally incorrect) English. But, you just need to pay attention and give very basic wordings. Having a knowledge of conversational Japanese is a bonus as well. Don't forget a fucking dictionary too, what a lifesaver. I used my phone occasionally too, and was incredibly fast. ATT has a pretty decent plan for international, but it's balls expensive. Wi-Fi is still hard to find, or you need to purchase it. Starbucks has it, however, you need to sign up for it on another network.

8/10 would probably go back in the near future.
>>
I'm on a budget and going to Tokyo with a couple of friends next year. We are mainly staying in Tokyo. I'm thinking of buying a 7-day train pass and arrive a week earlier than everyone else (nothing is booked yet so).

So, here's where I start to wonder if this plan is doable. I can only afford the 7-day pass and I know that I likely won't get to see Japan again for years after this.
So here's the plan
>Tohoku prefecture, 2 days
>Chubu prefecture, 2 days
>Kinki, Chogoku, Kyushu prefectures, 3 days
>Tokyo and hopefully Kamakura and Nikko for the remaining 18 days

I'm mainly just gonna ride the living hell out of the shinkansen, which is why I'm only listing the prefectures that the Shinkansen serve. Realistically, I'd like to start by heading to Nagasaki and work my way back to Tokyo from there and then head up Aomori and back to Tokyo again.

It sounds unrealistic, but can it be done? Obviously there's only a few towns I'm going to be stopping by, and in a lot of cases I'll likely just check out the area by the station, or if there's something I know I want to see, do that and move on. Just thought it could be fun to do a quick roundtrip through the whole country.
Asking here before I start looking up stuff around the country that looks fun. I don't want to tempt myself if it's downright impossible to do this and have a good time doing it.
>>
>>880600
Where should I go to get out of tokyo? I have about 7 unplanned days. Would love to see some countryside. My foot is lightly injured though so heavy trekking cant be done. Close to a main JR line would be nice. Suggestions?
>>
>>880746
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirakawa,_Gifu_%28village%29
>>
>>880745
And by prefecture I mean regions, but most of you probably know that. I'm a retard and I apologise.
>>
>>880747
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirakawa,_Gifu_%28village%29
is it nice in the summer?
>>
>>880751
>>880747
also cant find anything on airbnb where do you recommend to stay?
>>
>>880754
Here's the page from the Shirakawa tourism website. It's in Japanese, but it'll give you an idea of what's available.

>http://www.shirakawa-go.gr.jp/search/?m=1
>>
>>880737

Got any tips for visiting Sapporo? I asked last time since I'm thinking of visiting in winter and got zero response.
>>
Oh wow what happened to the old thread? Anyways, idk if somebody had any recommendations for Onsen in Hakone since the thread is gone, but if you do, feel free to post them!
>>
>>880774

Well, as far as the summer goes, it's a very straightforward city to navigate, as it works off a coordinates-styled layout. I rarely used the subway, as the stuff I was doing there didn't require it. But, I'd wager that Odori park is the main hotspot in the winter. That's where they hold all the winter festivals and stuff. It also has the TV Tower, so it is kinda the main area.

I wish I could help, but I was there in the summer. If you want to know about the weather and whatnot, check out the wikipedia page, it gives some good data. Bring warm stuff.
>>
>>880600
>>Will Japanese girls start dripping just because I am white?
Well, will they?
>>
>>880811

YMMV
>>
>>880814
Well that's okay!

I hear they have bath houses over there where they'll let you do anything to them with your dick short of vaginal/anal intercourse but won't let you have that if you're not japanese. Are they still that racist in japan or is that something that applies to the older generation?
>>
>>880811
with nervous cold sweat, yeah. as soon as you go away again they'll be happy again.
>>
File: sapporo_attractions6b.jpg (118KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
sapporo_attractions6b.jpg
118KB, 800x600px
>>880774

I live in Sapporo. It's 9:30 Tuesday night now. Please give details of what you're interested in and what you'd like to know, and I'll reply in the morning.
>>
>>880818

99.9% of all onsens (bath house) are gender separated. I know that some onsens in extremely remote and rural areas are not separated, simply because it's not worth the payoff.

I'm thinking what you've heard of is some kind of fetish thing, but I could be wrong.

When you're in, nobody really gives a fuck about you or your body. It's a place to relax and get away from a lot of stuff for a while. You'll see a lot of dicks, but they don't care. Nor should you. It's a cultural thing.

If you have tattoos, you might be turned away, but there are some ones that don't really care all that much.
>>
>>880652
My friend who has been out here less than a year could probably easily pass N2 if he studied for it. I met another who was out here for a year in bumblefuck Japan and passed N1 in a year.
Both knew no Japanese before coming.

If you actually put the work in you can quickly get good at Japanese. The problem is lazy fucks who don't study at all and hang out with only other expats
>>
?????????????
True.
>>
>>880825
I think he might be confusing onsen with soapland?
>>
>>880840
alright, thanks. I'll start working on my japanese! :)
>>
>>880868
Study for the test when you study, practice your real Japanese on Japanese people. The test is the only thing that matters when it comes to jobs but its dumb to learn a language without being able to really talk. The test can be gamed
>>
Has anyone ever had any success with japanese girls?

I've been in Tokyo for 5 days now and I leave on friday, and I haven't had any success yet. Just this evening, I was on the train and I approached this qt and said "Denwa number" and gave her my phone but she was all like "sumimasen" and shit and when I sat down again everyone was staring at me on the train. Pretty Embarrassing.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the way I dress, because it's so hot that I wear shorts and a short sleeved shirt. So I picked up this cheap suit and went to a bar this night and everyone was looking at me weirdly, and I don't understand why since 90 % of men I see in Tokyo are wearing suits. Also, no success this time, despite the fact that I managed to convince some people that I was rich businessman on vacation.

So how do I do it?
>>
>>880893
I know you're a troll, but for real advice for other people
Japanese girls live in extremes. Either they are super into you and its hard to fuck up or they will play games and make you work overly hard for it.
If you don't speak Japanese it is basically moot since you wont get anywhere with anyone worth getting with without Japanese
>>
>>880896
Yhea, but I just want to have sex, so I don't see why I need to know any japanese.
>>
>>880900
oh I think I understand why the last thread was deleted
>>
On friday i'm traveling with a 3 week rail pass in Japan.
I got the basic places like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Mount Fuji and Hiroshima covered.

Is there any other worthwhile places to go?
Maybe in the north?

Also in these cities, what is worth seeing that not every tourist knows about?

I guess i'm looking for hidden gems.
>>
>>880943
How about infrastructure?
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/g-cans-worlds-largest-drain
>>
>>880943
Izu Islands
personally I think it is the better option than Okinawa
>>
File: Raw-Horse-Meat1-300x224.jpg (29KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
Raw-Horse-Meat1-300x224.jpg
29KB, 300x224px
Where is the best basashi?
>>
>>881068
France TBH
>>
>>880649
You can learn enough in a month to travel there to a guest family to improve it, I think if you are so much into it you can gradually do it in less time.
>>
>>880746
>Where should I go to get out of tokyo? I have about 7 unplanned days. Would love to see some countryside.
Kyoto maybe, I think you'd be good with going to Sapporo and travel around by the train.
>>
>>880811
In smaller towns if you speak their language,
>>
>>881102
its cheaper to fly to Korea than Hokkaido FYI, so if you want to scratch off another country in short order
>>
>>880943
Kagoshima and Sapporo
>>
Alright. So I ned something to do in Tokyo for tomorrow, I suddenly had some free time.

Any advice?
I'm going to Akihabara sunday, have already seen Shinjuku and Asakusa.
>>
>>881147
>Any advice?

Kamakura
>>
Anyone read Japanese What does this say?

?????????????????????????
>>
>>881176
Um...
>I just don't want to tell/teach you, you're such a creepy foreigner
>>
>>881179
Yeah I ran this through Google translate, sounds about right.

Any tips on how to read Japanese fast? ie, resource.
>>
>>881181
Just reading as much as possible is very good practice. If you're still fairly low level, start with simpler sentences (obviously). I used this website when teaching Japanese to a Chinese student. It has Japanese fairy tales with English translations, but the Japanese is written for a young audience, so the sentences are fairly simple. It also contains definitions for some words.

http://life.ou.edu/stories/
>>
>>881036
O.O
>>
>>881197
Sweet, thanks so much.

>staring at those moonrunes.
>>
>>880824

Hey, hope you're still around...

Not really into specifics. Basically I'd like to hit up the ice festival in February, but am wondering how many days it'll take to exhaust that activity, then what else is good to see in Sapporo itself and what day trips, if any, are worthwhile.

Thanks for the help.
>>
Will I get cancer if I go to Japan? (because of the meltdown thing earlier 2 years ago?)
>>
>>881216
>ice festival in February

Funny that you should ask about that, as it's really fucking hot in Sapporo right now. Anyway, IMHO the Ice Festival is not all that great, but of course YMMV. You should be able to do it in a day - a few hours walking around the Odori Park section of it, and then another hour that evening in the Susukino section (smaller ice sculptures plus outdoor drinking).

>what else is good to see in Sapporo itself

It's a relatively new city -- there's not a lot here that's much more than 50 years old. It's nice to walk around, there are some good parks (Odori Koean, Nakajima Koen), there's a good concert hall (Kitara, although it's mostly classical stuff), and of course the ramen and seafood (especially scallops and crab) are Japan's best.

>what day trips, if any, are worthwhile

There are actually quite a few, including some pretty good ones. It depends on (a) whether you're looking for outdoor sports type stuff or just plain touring and (b) whether or not you're willing to rent a car and (c) the season. Please answer all 3 and I'll try to recommend some appropriate things.

>>881232
>Will I get cancer if I go to Japan?

You are cancer, so it doesn't really matter, does it? Anyway, >>>>>>>>>>>/pol/ is thataway; take your spamming there.
>>
>>881237
>Odori Koean

That should be Odori Koen, i.e. Odori Park.
>>
>>880824
I'll be in Furano for 6 months, any recommendations what to do in my free time? I usually wake up early and need to work till 18 o'clock, anything to recommend after that time?
>>
>>880896
Even in Roppongi?
>>
>>881162
That was actually a great idea. I've decided to go there tomorrow. Thanks a lot!
Is there anything I have to ser in tour opinion? (aside from the Big Buddha)
>>
File: furano.jpg (130KB, 1023x450px) Image search: [Google]
furano.jpg
130KB, 1023x450px
>>881270

Sorry, but there's not much out there. Furano is in a really rural and isolated area; they relied 100% on agriculture until relatively recently. Nowadays there's a lot of tourism, particularly people from SE Asia (a lot of Thais and Taiwanese). They go to see the lavender fields in the Spring and the Summer; in the winter there's skiing (I'm guessing you'll be there for that). So, what to do at night? If you're up for it, try to pick up/screw said tourists. If not, then stay in your room and cruise 4chan, etc. Sorry, but there's not much else!

p.s. If you need to get away for a bit, go to Asahikawa first instead of Kushiro. The weather will be marginally better, and Asahikawa is the bigger/more international (by Hokkaido standards, anyway) city so you'll be able to get some non-Japanese food there.
>>
>>881276
see in your*
I apologize on behalf of my auto correct
>>
>>881278

Hmmm... ser in tour.... That was an interesting one.

Anyway, glad to be of help. Kamakura is a great day trip from Tokyo and also a very interesting place in and of itself. I'd suggest the Hasedera Temple and Zeniarai Benten; many of the other temples/shrines are worthwhile as well if they're on your way. If you're up for it, there are 2 really good hiking trails -- Daibutsu Hiking Course and Tenen Hiking Course. They're both really good -- I prefer the Daibutsu (more sightseeing sports) but the Tenen is good, too. Lastly, Kamakura will be quite hot when you go -- if you have time, go out to the beach. It's really really popular with Japanese (especially younger people) and you'll find plenty of beach bars and restaurants -- guaranteed all of them will be packed at night.
>>
>>881278
*(more sightseeing spots)....

Sorry, one more suggestion -- Hachimangu Shrine. You probably would have gone there anyway (it's an easy walk from the JR station), but I thought I'd still mention it.
>>
>>881279
not him, but is the festival on the 16th of September worth visiting?
>>
>>881283

Yes, but it will be extraordinarily crowded. Really crowded. Unbelievably crowded. You have to be prepared to deal with the massive crowds, long wait times at attractions and restaurants, long wait times for trains, etc. It would be best to stay in Kamakura during that time, but unless you already have a booking that probably won't be possible for 2014. For 2015, maybe, but you'd better get moving on it. Yes, I am serious.
>>
I need to kill some days in tokyo. Did all the obiouse stuff.
mainly looking for some parks, beachs or some place with a good ac
>>
>>881277
I thought so, but since that is what I searched for my timeout from life at home that's really good.

are you >>880824 by any chance?
>>
>>881290

Yes. I'm
>>880824
>>881162
>>881237
>>881239
>>881277
>>881279
>>881280
>>881288

Ask away -- I'm going out for a drink in a few minutes but will be back later tonight.
>>
>>881288
hmm well I was thinking of going there by train actually...or is there any better way to get there? I'd probably go to Kamakura another time too, when there's no festival (at the beginning of October or so)
>>
>>881291
is there a chance that you can update a traveler about upcoming events? I am rarely even close to Furano at that time, I think I am 2-3 miles away from the next town while my stay and I can only load/send emails and if I have a good day access my blog

tomorrow's the flight, I'll miss you /trv/elers ;__;7
>>
>>881292

If you don't have a car the train is the best way to get there. Kamakura is a bit inconveniently located as there are no major attractions/cities nearby.
>>
>>881294

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Are you asking for me to email you with what's happening in Furano? That will be easy for me, unfortunately for you!
>>
>>881297
Yes, basically, or even in sapporo since I can ask for a day off whenever I want to.
>>
Alright, so here's the question. Is it fun to go to Club AgeHa and dance and listen to the music and all EVEN if I don't hook up?
>>
>>881302
no clubs are for fools who have no concept of shame or selfawareness
>>
>>881275
I said worthwhile girls. Girls in Roppongi usually aren't so great although you occasionally get some decent ones
>>
>>881299

http://joseikyokai75.net/?page_id=2220
>>
>>881237

Thanks for the info. Regarding day trips:

(a) whether you're looking for outdoor sports type stuff or just plain touring

Not that I mind sporty stuff, but I guess more plain touring.

>(b) whether or not you're willing to rent a car

Don't drive, so that solves that.

>(c) the season.

Winter.
>>
>>881476

Thanks -- that helps. If you'll be here in winter a rental car isn't a good idea unless you have lots of experience driving on ice and snow (a lot of roads, even in the major cities, aren't plowed out). On the sport side (I have to mention it, it's what Hokkaido in winter is famous for) you can easily do day skiing at Niseko (the best) or, close to Sapporo, Teine or Moiwa.

Non-sporty day trip stuff: (1) Train to Otaru (nice to walk around, old port city, really good seafood/sushi); (2) Train to Asahikawa/bus to Sounkyo (their ice festival is smaller than Sapporo's but much more interesting IMHO); (3) train to Noboribetsu, see volcanos/volcanic activity in the snow and then go to an onsen; (4) train to Hakodate, old city with one of Japan's top-3 views (certified by the Japan Top View Association, no shit -- the Japanese are really really into ridiculous ranking lists of just about everything); and (5) Train out to Abashiri, go on drift ice sea tour.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't involve sporty stuff (there's ice caves and snowshoe stuff that's pretty cool to do, but it can be a bit strenuous). You can also do the onsen thing, there's plenty available and you don't need my help for that.

If you do come in winter and are not used to the cold, dress properly -- if you don't you'll be miserable and very, very sorry. You can buy stuff here but it's expensive.
>>
Anyone know if any "japanese chat room" to practice your Japanese, some sort of tinychat or stickycam
>>
>>881500
irc? the justin.tv japanese channels.
>>
I'm from Sweden... Any chance they will let me teach English to their kids? And if so, is there any way I can seek employment without going to the country? JET and similar programs seem to only take native English speakers.
>>
>>881529
You can do it if you have native- or near-native level English. Some companies will determine your level through a test that they provide, others will look for test scores such as TOEIC. It's definitely possible, just look into each company's requirements when you apply.
>>
>>880600
Will Japanese girls start dripping just because I am white, 5'7, 7/10, and have money?
>>
>>881537
That makes any woman start dripping, especially 6/10s and down.
>>
>>881537

LOL, no. White 5'7" manlets do OK in shit-tier countries like the Philippines and the Dominican Republic; you're nothing special in Japan, Europe, the US, etc. and nobody is impressed by you. Will girls "start dripping?" I'm guessing when you come into the room they start running. Anyway, the money helps in Japan, but you'll have to be willing to visibly spend a lot of it -- that means several dates, expensive gifts, etc., which means you need to speak passable Japanese, etc. In other words, it ain't gonna happen. Save yourself the trouble -- go to Las Vegas and get a hooker.
>>
File: xT99uQ_xuF4.jpg (110KB, 915x678px) Image search: [Google]
xT99uQ_xuF4.jpg
110KB, 915x678px
>>881542
nope, midget
>>
>>881558
Hmm, didn't realize that's only 170 cm. Get with the times americlaps.
>>
>>881561
Take a look at who's the biggest fucking military and economic power in the known universe and think again, europoor.
>>
>>881561
>>881564
Take it to >>>/pol/.
>>
>>881558
6'4 master race reporting in.
>>
>>881564
Sorry, but how does military power strengthen your argument?

There is no doubt that America's measuring system is weird and unlogical as fuck.
It might have been smart when we didn't have the equipment we have today, but it's not smart anymore.
>>
>>881634
>>>/pol/
Seriously. Doesn't belong here.
>>
>>881636
oh, right, sorry.

sage for good measure
>>
Going to be in Tokyo on the 4th August all on my own :(

Hoping to go to Skytree, Shibuya and Akihabara, anyone want to come?
>>
>>881717
You don't want to go with us, we would tell you to stop liking what we don't like
>>
>>881717
I'll be getting in to Narita on the 4th, but I'm going straight to Mito. I'm sorry. I would love to go to Akiba with someone ;_;
>>
>>881721
I met a guy from /ck/ once, I shared some sea snails I caught with him.
>>
File: Japan.jpg (139KB, 1055x623px) Image search: [Google]
Japan.jpg
139KB, 1055x623px
>>
How do I fuck wives in the onsen?
>>
>>881822
Almost all onsen are gender separate, m8.
>>
>>881824
Man fuck Japan, I'm going to Korea
>>
>>881826
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's the same in Korea, m8. If you want sex tourism, go to Thailand.
>>
>>881827
I'm just taking the piss mate, don't worry.
>>
>>881830
You never know on this site...
>>
>>881820
>i leave because I'd rather be visiting historical places like the great wall than be in a fucking arcade

>i leave because I'd rather be visiting historical places like the great wall

>historical places like the great wall

>the great wall
>>
some one wanna meet up in tokyo today?
>>
So, geography related question.
Is there a Russian population in Japan? I feel like there would be, considering how close Eastern Russia is in proximity
>>
>>881832
I think at this point it's pretty obvious in all Asia threads and should be taken as parody.
See OP
>>
>>881717
>Going to be in Tokyo on the 4th August all on my own :(

If you can speak basic Japanese, let go of (most) inhibition, going alone is FUCKING fun!

>dat meeting random people speaking Japanese
>dat making new friends
>dat sponteous adventure without a bunch of "friends" who can't decide on what to fucking do.

Traveling alone builds character. You don't have to be the lonely guy walking around, only if you choose to be.
>>
File: P7103319.jpg (960KB, 2544x1696px) Image search: [Google]
P7103319.jpg
960KB, 2544x1696px
>>880600
What geeky/nerdy/cool things exist there to see in Kyoto? Besides Manga museum or Nintendo.
Really not in the mood for temples.

Is there something more active, even if it's kitch/not exactly great cultural stuff? Like a laser arcade where you dress up as Gundam or shoot friends or anything else fun.
>>
>>881848
yes and they are miserable people like anywhere else the diaspora settled down
>>
>>881858
no
>>
So this question might get some hate, but I was thinking of making a list of anime related stuff I'd like to see while I am over there

So far I have:
>Akihabara
>Pokemon Center
>Manga Museum
>Den Den Town in Osaka
>Kyoto Animation (maybe some other studio too)
>Kamou Sou and town where Hyouka is set
>Maybe Fuji Q Highland if I have time

Anything else that is recommended? I was thinking of Ghibli museum, but I have only seen one or two movies, so I don't know if it's worth it.
>>
>>881930
Nakano Broadway. It's like Akihabara but better. Ghibli museum is neat, but be advised that it's mostly targeted at kids.
>>
>>881930
Shirakawa-go, the town Hinamizawa was based on. Even if you're not a higurashi fan, it's a nice little place, though pretty far out of the way.

There's also Otome row in Ikebukuro if you're a fujoshit/fag.
>>
>>881930
Specifically Super Potato and Mandrake if you are into that kind of stuff
>>
>>881932
ah I heard about Nakano Broadway, but I wasn't sure whether it's really worth visiting. I'll check it out thanks
>>881933
Hirugashi is on my watchlist for around half a year, so I'll try to watch it before I go
>>881934
those are shops aren't they? that's good, since I didn't know what exactly to visit in Akhibara
>>
>>881930
Hey anon, I live in Tokyo. Go to the Suginami animation museum. It's small and off the beaten path more, but it's worth it. Also if you like Gundam you can check out the Gundam experience thing in Odaiba. You should go just to take pictures of the lifesize gundam there at least.

>>881932
*tips fedora*
Nakano Broadway is not better than Akihabara. I don't know if you're just trying to be a hipster by saying the more obscure thing is better, but it's not.

>>881935
>I didn't know what exactly to visit in Akhibara
Just walk along the main drag out of Akihabara station and around the side streets there. There are a lot of small kind of labyrinthine toy shops and stuff everywhere. Also, do you know what UFO catchers are? They're like claw machines but the prizes are high quality anime toys and dolls and such. Stop by one (or all) of the big "game centers" and play them, in addition to other games.
>>
>>880896
>Japanese girls live in extremes. Either they are super into you and its hard to fuck up or they will play games and make you work overly hard for it.

This is the god damn truth. They are either kinky maneaters or frustrating game players who end up being maguro anyway. True story.

>If you don't speak Japanese it is basically moot since you wont get anywhere with anyone worth getting with without Japanese

This, however, is not. Lol. Hot girls in Tokyo who are out and drunk aren't looking for gengo koukan. If you're confident and maybe know some bullshit nanpa Japanese you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1405706950161.gif (124KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1405706950161.gif
124KB, 180x180px
Thanks to Non Non Biyori, I now wanna visit rural Japan, especially on Fall or Winter.
Any interesting rural towns to visit and maybe interact for a bit with the locals?
Not that I'm gonna arrive with the ''I'm a baka gaijin special snowflake, praise me!'', but it would be nice to visit a place where I could have fun times.
Or at the very least, a place where I'm not gonna get kicked out at every chance.
>>
>>881945
Practically anywhere that's not a tourist location nor near US military bases.
>>
>>881937
Tip for UFO catchers, usually Japan UFO catchers have a special way to catch the prize (maybe you have to match exactly the hole in the box, or the ring, or you don't really have to catch it, just push it in the hole when the claw closes) They are positioned so there is one way to catch it and maybe from all the stuff only one in positioned in a way that is possible to catch. If none of them is positioned right you can ask a staff member to open the machine and change the positions.
>>
>>881847
tfw no reply
>>
Im in Tokyo and going to Osaka tomorrow, what should i do in Osaka?
After osaka are there any nice cities around Osaka worth exploring?
>>
>>882052
no dont go kyoto it is over level 9000 shit hole
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
sup /trv/ started my hokkaido trip today
anyone else traveling around in hokkaido?

pic related, viee from my hotelroom
>>
>>882095
Are you staying in the JR Tower?

I wish I was back in Hokkaido. Atleast it's only 6 weeks until I go to Kyushu
>>
Anyone know about the visa situation? Japan allows my country to stay up to 90 days without a visa.

So say I go to Japan and stay for 30 days, can I visit Japan 3 months later and stay for 90 days? Or I can only stay in Japan for 90 days in a 365 days period?
>>
>>882028
>tfw when you're playing one with a single hook and you the small loop on the tab in one try and get a 1500yen animu figurine for 200.
>>
>>882145
You can technically take the ferry to Korea (maybe stay for a day or two.) and back to renew that period. Unless you do it repeatedly or run into a racist immigration agent I think you'll be fine.
>>
>>881847
I would.
Maybe one day anon,when we cross paths again in the future.
>>
>>882052
Nara lights festival starts on Tuesday night. I'd recommend going to that. Lots of fireworks in the area throughout the week as well.
>>
>>880600
I went to Japan recently and overheard being called "kankoku"

wtf does that mean
>>
>>882209
Korea
>>
>>882209
KANKOKU JIN
Korean person
>>
>>882053
what does that mean_
>>
Not sure how active the thread is right now, but I'm a 20 year old white American. My dad is teaching for a few days in Tokyo this may and wants the whole family to come so we can stay for a week or so after and have a family vacation.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what it's like for someone who speaks zero Japanese to travel around the city. Like, are there certain places where people are likely to speak English, like hotels, maybe restaurants, or something? Is there anything I should avoid so as to not offend people(I know there's a big emphasis on respect there)?

Thanks in advance for any help
>>
>>881494

Appreciate the info, thanks.

Sounkyo looks pretty neat, but it also looks quite far from Sapporo... Is it an easy day trip, or does it deserve a couple of days?
>>
>>881937
will check out thanks for the tips!

Really looking forward to the game centers. Are they open 24/7?
>>
>>882215
you will be fine most signs have english script on them, many restaurants have either picture menus or english ones. use a guidebook to plan. You will not be spending enough time in japan to get into any real trouble anyway.
>>
>>882273
Yeah, I wish I could stay longer.

But thank you, I'll definitely pick up a guide book. Maybe even try some phrases to the point that I don't butcher them
>>
>>882260

I actually don't know. I don't think so, but maybe some are. At any rate are you really looking to play Street Fighter at 5am?
>>
>>882285
Sounds like fun. I'd thought that a lot of people would go drunk to arcades after clubbing or something, or salary man who missed their last train home
>>
>>882284

The only places I can think of where peoeple are "likely" to speak English are big nice hotels. Staff in the train stations generally do not, but every sign is in English.

Don't worry about offending people. You will not. Yes, Japan has a lot of social customs, but even if you made a faux pas you would get a pass because you are foreign. In general, Japanese are more polite to foreigners than they are to each other.

>Maybe even try some phrases to the point that I don't butcher them

Will be hard to completely butcher any phrase. Japanese is relatively easy for an English speaker to pronounce. There are only a couple sounds Japanese has that English doesn't, and only one that is completely different (the tapped R). The "chi" sound is slightly different but they will understand you if you say it the English way.
>>
So is there a pastebin or something for people interested in going to Japan? I mean something with
>places to visit
>hotels/places to stay
>attractions
>train guide
>japanese language guide
etc
>>
>>882399
Here's a nice Google doc, made by Reddit though and pretty Tokyo-centric.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wjqJKYEKbHSUTsj8Lxj8OCn0gSOXOpf_SroyBEjLbKY/edit#heading=h.l63r2bfnw9k5
>>
>>882400
Ugh. Thanks
>>
>>882399
There's alot of stuff in the sticky, but most of it is general i think.
>>
>>882400
only like 5 pages in, but thats a p good pastebin.
>>
Anyone here have experience with Nara prefecture? I'm moving there for a year in a month, it will be my first experience leaving murrica.
>>
>>882418
Second that. I download it as a PDF and going to read the whole thing.
>>
>>882469
middle of nowhere, enjoy anon
>>
Anyone had any experience with leonet for internet?

I'm moving into a place in August where I have to use this and everything I"ve heard makes it sound shitty
>>
>>882469
Nara city is great, but most of the prefecture is rural as fuck. Good luck man. May I ask what you're doing there?
>>
>>882525
He's probably a public school ALT. Yeah if youre in Nara city its a great location. Close to Osaka and Kyoto and Nara is great in its own right. But if youre not in or near Nara city its very rural.
>>
Going to be in Japan on my own in September. My folks are freaking out because I'm single and the like, but I haven't seen much issue in traveling alone in Japan upon doing searches. This is however, my first ever trip to Japan, so nothing will be particularly known to me. Safety guidelines,tips?
>>
>>882550
Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. What exactly people are freaking about?
>>
>>882551

I just read my post back and forgot to mention I'm a woman. The usual things parents always freak out about I guess, I've already noted most of the sketchy areas to steer clear of, though I am somewhat curious in checking out Kabukicho even though I probably shouldn't.
>>
>>882550
A lot of us here have done it. It'll be a great trip, no reason to worry.
>>
I was in Akihabara yesterday, and it was horrible. I cringed all the time I was there.
All of the foreigners were either fat neckbeards or people with fedoras.
Why cant foreigners be normal? No wonder the japs hate us all.
>>
>>882550
Hello.
I'm currently in Japan by myself (first time travelling alone). I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about. It's easy as hell and man, do I love their train systems.
I arrived about a week ago. You cant really go wrong over here, you might step a few people over the toes because of manners and such, but most japanese overlook mistakes because we're just dumb foreigners.

Cheers.
>>
Is 13 grand enough for a month's stay? It needs to cover everything.
>>
>>882571
What currency?
>>
>>882577
Usd
>>
I'm planning to visit Japan in the near future but there are a few things i am unsure about. It will be my first trip overseas.
>How much money will i need to save roughly to cover airfares, accommodation, food etc?
>Are there any good deals i should look out for when booking plane tickets?
>Would i be okay travelling there alone?
I am going to try and plan this thoroughly so i don't fuck anything up.
>>
>>882579
waaaaaaay enough
I'm currently staying 25 days for like 1.5k, and It's going well
>>
>>882605
tip for plane ticket: order in good time and make sure your date of department is a weekday, as It's a lot cheaper.

>will i be OK?
Okay, people seriously needs to lurk the threads before posting.
>>
>>882641

Tell us how you're going about it, are you eating nothing but ramen from vending machines and sleeping on trains or what?
>>
>>882557

>I was in Akihabara yesterday, and it was horrible. I cringed all the time I was there.
>All of the foreigners were either fat neckbeards or people with fedoras.
>Why cant foreigners be normal? No wonder the japs hate us all.

Why would they have a district made exclusively to market to NEETs and neckbeards, and then complain when NEETs and neckbeards are common tourists?
>>
>>882557
You seem not to understand what the purpose of Akihabara is
>>
>>882557

Any time I go there it usually a pretty standard mix of foreigners. I see neckbeards every time I go but I always see normies too. Idk.

Also, protip, have you gotten a load of the Japanese neckbeards in Akihabara? Really shouldn't bash just the foreigners.
>>
>>882675
>have you gotten a load of the Japanese neckbeards in Akihabara?
oh god the smell...the smell...
>>
>>882642
Thanks!
Sorry i don't frequent this board, i just thought it would probably be the best place to ask.
>>
>>882557
>walking round shops in Akihabara with fucking huge bag full of shit from rental case stores
>pretty sure I overheard one shop worker commenting about me not looking like a strange fat american (He was quite quiet and my Japanese is shit)
Not looking like a autistic ponyfag Fedorian tends to help a little bit in Japan. I've been in hotels and restaurants where I've received much better service than some obvious weebs that are also there.
>>
>>882552
>I am somewhat curious in checking out Kabukicho even though I probably shouldn't.
You can go have a look, it's sketchy but in a fairly sanitised way. The African touts and other nuisances will pretty much leave you alone as you aren't going to be interested in their "You want sexy time with a Japan lady?" scams.
>>
Osaka Castle to kill me; now, after walking around on an injured foot for 3 days, I'm wondering if you guys know of anything to do in Osaka that's super laidback and low exercise?
>>
I'm studying in Tokyo for already 4 months. Visited following places. Where else in Tokyo should I go?
>Nakano Broadway
>Tokyo Tower, Sky Tree
>Asakusa, Kamakura, Yokohama, Ikebukuro, Harajuku, Yoyogi, Odaiba, Shinjuku, Kabukicho, Shibuya, Roppongi
>Imperial Palace
>Ueno Park + Zoo
>Shinjuku Gyoen
>Edo Tokyo Open Air Architectual Museum
>Pokemon Center
>Yasukuni Shrine

I thought about just taking the train and getting out at random stations to see some of the living hoots. Any other recommendations? One month left.
>>
>>882766
Planning on going up Fuji?
Also what's your budget been so far?
>>
>>882756
is the castle still under construction?
>>
File: jaspa2011kota.jpg (50KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
jaspa2011kota.jpg
50KB, 480x720px
Assuming I know no Japanese of any kind, and have no money saved, what would need to be done in order to permanently move and start a small business somewhere in Japan (in this case, I've always wanted to start an indoor skate park), and how long would it take? I'm not asking to live in a big/popular city either, micro-living in a small town/city would seem ideal to me (I've never really had high standards for living).
>>
>>881833
Yes anon you got the joke. That's the joke of the whlole picture. Thank you for pointing it out to us peons .
>>
>>882786
why would you want to move to a small city to start an indoor skate park? Wouldn't you want as many customers as possible?
>>
>>881939
will you stop using japanese slang words? i get it that we can google it but it's just fucking stupid to do

By the way anyone else "Maguro" Means sashimi so basicly saying girls who lay in bed like zombies during sex.

"gengo koukan" = exchange writing so basicly saying they aren't out looking for some gaijin to teach them english
>>
>>882053
Is kyoto only good for ACTUAL japanese cultural things like temples and shit? is that why you guys are so butthurt that it doesn't have all the "CWAZYY JAPANESE XDD" stuff in it? lel
>>
>>882788
It's possible that you have just been tricked.
>>
>>882095
What hotel and how much did it cost? im thinking of getting a hotel in tokyo for 2 weeks which works out to about 2k but i was thinking maybe i could find a hotel in kyoto or some other big city in japan and just go visit tokyo and end up spending much less on hotel cost.

What yall niggas think, what might be a good city thats on the JR line or w.e it is that everyone uses to get around japan
>>
>>882788
I guess I would just find it convenient to live in a small city/town because it would be less expensive (or at least, that's what I'm assuming, unless there's ways to live inexpensively in larger towns/cities). I guess as long as the city doesn't already have a skate park in it, I guess it would be okay.

But from my understanding in the US, it's not impossible to start one in a small city. I've lived in a city practically my whole life with a <100,000 population and it's had its share of popular skate parks that have been successful for several years, although they're closed now (I think I might've contradicted myself there, buttfuckit).

There are also successful skate parks (still open) that are in small towns, yet near larger cities that are quite popular. So maybe something like that would have been more fitting to say?
>>
>>882209
You korean? then they were calling you korean.
>>
File: n812.jpg (267KB, 600x659px) Image search: [Google]
n812.jpg
267KB, 600x659px
>>882793
Nah, I came from /asp/ actually.
>>
>>882571
Fucking shit dude yes 13 grand is alot to travel anywhere.

Honestly alot of people say japan is super expensive but i find the prices of things to be on par/cheaper in many cases with things here in canada.Ontario specifically

Is it just me or has any other canadian noticed this?
>>
>>882786
You can buy a shack in the countryside and start a potato farm.
>>
File: 1390966328892.jpg (890KB, 3525x3936px) Image search: [Google]
1390966328892.jpg
890KB, 3525x3936px
>>882813
>>
>>881537
You only need to look rich. I don't understand why you'd go to japan for sex when there's Thailand and the Phillipines.
>>
where in tokyo is this doge?
>>
okay soooo

A friend and I plan to go to Tokyo during winter (spec. Dec.26-Jan 8)

1. What did you guys do for plane tickets, are there any ones cheaper than 1600?
2.What is the weather like there at that time? I know its around 40F, but does it snow/rain still during that time?
>>
>>882818
Because all of the people talking about sex here are just hoping they will find a 3dpd version of their anime waifu and she will fall in love with her gaijin hunk and want to marry him and they will live happily ever after, All while having the best sex ever.
Wait that reminds me , what happends if a japanese girl ends up wanting to get married with you. Do you move her back to the west or should you live in japan with her...hmmm
>>
>>882822
I don't know where everyone else is finding tickets but i don't see why nobody mentions Kayak. Kayak is a great site for this kind of shit is it not?
>>
>>882822
>1. What did you guys do for plane tickets, are there any ones cheaper than 1600?

Yes. You can fly from Osaka to Tokyo for just 1400 cucumbers
>>
>>882824
Then they better hit the gym and get a rolex.
>>
>tfw going to Japan for 30 days for the first time
>tfw I think I should extend it to a full 90 days

What should I do guise!
>>
>>882836
if you're rich then go ahead stay the 90 days , where do you plan on staying? a rental apartment?

TAKE ME WITH YOU NIGGA IM BROKE
>>
>>882836
>tfw going to Japan for the first time, going to stay for 30 days
>tfw if I don't extend my trip to 90 days, I have a feeling I'm going to regret it
>>
>>882837
I'm going to stay in a rental apartment or dorm, more likely dorm, so the rent should be around $500-700 per month.

You're a broke nigga? Start hustling. If broke Nigerians can make it in Japan so can you.
>>
>>882841
That begs the question, how do the nigerians make it into fucking japan and manage to live their?
>>
>>882847
scamming and hustlin
>>
Is 26 too late to move to Japan? That's how old I'll be when I get my degree.
Most people seem to move there at 22.
>>
>>882880
Age isn't a problem. It's getting employment and being relevant.
>>
File: 3002418-9103377125-25008.jpg (72KB, 378x363px) Image search: [Google]
3002418-9103377125-25008.jpg
72KB, 378x363px
Will Japanese girls start dripping just because I am white? and 6'1?
>>
>>882880
I moved there at 26 but that was after a masters and a few years toughing it out in an office in south africa. English teachers are disposable so if that is your way in then good luck because the competition for those miserable jobs is fierce
>>
>>882896
No. Sorry! They are high maintenance compared to 10yrs ago.
>>
File: cani.jpg (140KB, 1279x960px) Image search: [Google]
cani.jpg
140KB, 1279x960px
>>880600
Best city to live in for a year?
Thinking of saying fuck it and getting a ob abroad.
>>
>>882899
what's an ob?
>>
>>882783
hmmm, the way I walked through there didn't seem to be any work being done, nothing too obtrusive anyways or attention grabbing.

The museum itself felt like a tourist trap a bit.
>>
>>882897
Do you know if translating jobs are difficult to get?
>>
File: lol.jpg (48KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
48KB, 720x960px
>>882900
haha my J key is broken. Meant to say job.
>>
>>882904
Most of those jobs are snapped up by english teachers ( so they tell me) after being in the country for a year or two and taking the proficiency exams. The few people that stay after a year or two gravitate to crappy paying translator jobs or some kind of journalism/ marketing gig if they are lucky. It is a tough job market here TBH, I switched jobs once and it was pretty scary making that jump
>>
File: 143588044.jpg (46KB, 594x465px) Image search: [Google]
143588044.jpg
46KB, 594x465px
>>882786
Still wondering about this.
>>
>>882943
Get married to a Japanese national. That being said skate parks were all the rage maybe 10 years ago? Now they all have dried up so good luck with that
>>
>>882786
Skating/skateboarding is really not that popular in Japan, even less so in smaller cities. I honestly don't think it would go in your favor at all.
>>
>>882821
If I remember correctly (he was featured on a popular television show a while back), he isn't in Tokyo but a smaller city elsewhere.
>>
>>882822
There is precipitation year-round in Tokyo. In late December/early January, it could be either rain or snow.
>>
Found out I'm being stationed in oki. What are fun sober things I can do by myself away from military people who are going to get me fucked up.
>>
>>882963
surf, scuba, eat, everyone will hate you btw
>>
>>882965
But I'm black jnj
>>
>>882786
It's a pretty expensive business to set up initially, and then there's bills and insurance, maintenance etc.

I skate here, it's not huge, but there are always some other dudes at the park.

Back where I used to live, city of 600,000+ and a large Brazilian population, the skatepark just closed for good this weekend. The park was always pretty busy, but it couldn't pay for itself any more.

You'd have to have a lot of money and good Japanese to pull off something like this, simply to rent / buy the initial building and set up insurance.
>>
>>882968

they'll hate you even more lol
>>
>>882786
I watched a youtube video about illegal civilization going to japan and there was a skatepark but it was fruitbooting, fruitbooters are a bane to society
>>
>>882796
The only skater I saw in 5 months in Japan were foreigners. And 90% of them hipster with longboards.
>>
>>882836
30 days is already pretty good. You won't regret. You can see all the important sights in and around Tokyo as well as Kyoto.
90 day only if you are rich.
>>
>>882841
There are also good dormitories for around 300$.

>>882847
Yakuza and merring a Japanese women.
>>
I didn't have time to read through all the posts on here but I am travelling to Japan in two weeks with my girlfriend and have a few questions you can hopefully answer!

I will be spending a week in Tokyo and one week travelling to other cities on the main Island (Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima). Is it worth it to get a two week JR Pass? Does it work in Tokyo as well as for national travelling? I can't seem to get a straight answer.

Secondly, I am having trouble finding a capsule hotel that allows women as well as men! It seems most are just for men. Any recommendations for one in Tokyo, or the other cities listed?

Finally, what are some recommended restaurants and other tourist spots for someone with a taste for nerdy/bizarre things? I hear Sega Park is interesting, but anything else that is truly unique and bizarre to visit?
>>
>>882963
Question, do soldier get to choose where they are stationed? Do other countries have bases/soldiers in japan or is that only USA ?
>>
>>882655
Sorry. Was without plane ticket and JRP included, haha.
>>
>>882990
Go to Yoyogi Park and you'll see a lot more.
Also not foreigners of course.
>>
>>880600
Birthday is coming up. I'm looking to spend about 10,000-12,000 yen on a meal. Looking for somewhere that is not Jiro's
>>
>tfw staying in Japan for a month
>tfw not cheaping out, I'm going to rent a room which cost $800-$900, as oppose to a dorm room which cost $500
>tfw will be pulling chicks back to the dorm

I booked the hotel really close to Harajuku/Shibuya.

Will report back with pictures of nekkid Japanese women.
>>
>>883026
Where did you find a hotel room in Shibuya for $900 a month?
>>
>>882993
To answer your first question, if you're traveling to other cites then yeah you should definitely get a JR pass, it works on any JR line including the Yamanote line in Tokyo.
>>
So, the day after tomorrow, I'm going to Osaka. But I have trouble figuring out what to see in Osaka.
I heard the Castle should be pretty unfulfilling as it is a reconstruction, and it shows. Other than that I dont have any ideas, and was hoping for some inspiration here. Preferably not night-club related.

Thanks! I'm going to Nara tomorrow to see the illumination festival or whatever It's called, with all the lit light in the park.
>>
seems like we hit bump limit again
>>
>>883055
Well, technically it's not a hotel room. It's one of those "shared house" that I get my own room. It's a building none of the less.
>>
>>883080
>none of the less
Nonetheless.

>>883077
We've still got quite a few posts to go.

>>883076
I enjoyed Osaka Castle, but whatever floats your boat. Dotonbori is pretty much the place to be - lots of food and the iconic Glico billboard. It's quite a lively neighborhood.
>>
>>883076
Also interested in Osaka, my company has a group trip there next month.

How hard is it to go from there on the Shinkansen to see Hokkaido? I have a vague interest in northern Japan because of "Dr. No".

>yes I'm fucking old
>>
>>883113
fly, it is cheaper and faster.
>>
>>883076
going to Osaka myself later next month, here's what I have written down so far:
>Osaka Aquarium
>Sumiyoshi Taisha (old shrine)
>Dotonbori
>Amerikamura
>Den Den Town
>Hozenji Yokocho
>Osaka Castle
>Shinsekai
>Shittenoji Temple
>Nara
>Ramen Museum

If anyone has some more (maybe a hostel recommendation), I'd glady hear it
>>
>>883117
Is a plain ticket cheaper than a 7 weeks JRPass? Because he could just get two of those.
>>
>>883120
as far as I know there is no seven weeks pass is there? A three weeks pass is already 450€, so I'd say it's definitely cheaper
>>
>>883113
it takes most of the day to get there, you'll transfer at Tokyo (takes about 2.5 hours to get there) and terminate at Aomori (another 3 hours from Tokyo) in the north. Then it's another couple of hours via normal train to Hakodate in Hokkaido, so far 7.5 hrs.

Depending on where you want to visit in Hokkaido, it might be another few hours before you get there. There's lots of express trains to get to Sapporo from all over Hokkaido, assuming that's where you want to go, but even those take a few hours - e.g. the Hakodate -> Sapporo takes around 3 - 3.5 hours.

If you're pressed for time, have a few more bucks to spend, and you can't spend the whole day on trains (don't worry, all of them have toilets!), you're better off just flying up to Hokkaido.

I like trains, I was not pressed for time, and I needed to save a few bucks, so I went from Hiroshima to Hakodate by train, it was great, I wish I packed lighter though!
>>
>>883121
I meant 2x 7-days, haha.
>>
>>883122
Thanks, I think it would be nice to take a train ride through the countryside, so this does sound good.
>>
>>882501
Is it really? I'm only going to be like 20-40 minutes away from Kyoto and Osaka.
>>882525
>>882526
Going to study as a foreign exchange student at a college. Sorry for the late reply, haven't had Internet for the past few days.
>>
>>883223
Nara City itself is okay. I liken it to Williamsburg Virgina which has that historical park which is pretty darn cool, but that is only good for a day or two of exploration. Everything is about an hour's train ride away from you. Not the end of the world, but for a college student... i dont know
>>
>>882821
>>882952
I've narrowed it to being in Musashikoganei, Tokyo. I hope I can find out exactly where it is before I travel to Tokyo.
>>
>>883131
just double check that it actually is cheaper if that's a factor. I was going through during peak domestic travel and looking for transport just a few nights before - if you're planning it well in advance, an airline ticket will probably be cheaper.

and hit up hyperdia if you haven't already, it's super fucking helpful.
>>
>>880600
panic
>>28192370
>>>28192370
howto crosspost
>>
>>883265
fuck
>28192370
>>>/int/28192370
>>
>>883266
aren't there lots of budget airlines going Europe-Asia for cheap? I doubt many of them go via Siberia anyway.
>>
>>883281
I think it only hurts finnish people, they are done for! FINNISHED!
>>
File: rimshot.jpg (68KB, 525x394px) Image search: [Google]
rimshot.jpg
68KB, 525x394px
>>883290
>>
>>880893
You sound like a fat neckbeard.
>>
I'm european and have black hair and brown eyes, would I get treated differently from other 'gaijin' or is every foreigner equally pig disgusting in the eyes of some japanese people? I don't really mind, but it's something I've always been curious about.
>>
hello,

I'm going to Japan soon but have a 4 hour layoff in amsterdam.
if I were to smoke something during that time (not sure if 4 hours are enough) could that cause problems when I arrive in Japan?
>>
>>883379
no you dummy, just like if you have sex in the ass you wont get pregnant
>>
>>883370
really its the color of your skin and not the hair TBH
>>
>>883257
>if you're planning it well in advance, an airline ticket will probably be cheaper.
This. Heading up to Hokkaido is do able for under £50/$80/9000yen return flying on a budget carrier like Peach or Jetstar and takes 2-3 hours depending where you fly from.

I can't even remember the train price when I looked at Osaka-Sapporo, it was so ridiculous compared to flying I just went and booked the flights straigthaway instead.
>>
>>883370
>black hair and brown eyes
You are not a unique special snowflake who will be recognized as "more likely to be Jap" than another foreigner. Jap bitches will not drop their panties for you any easier.
>>
This is probably irrelevant but would i be treated like a nigger if i am latin-american, I know they basically don't know we exist but i wonder if because i have darker skin then white people (i get mistaken for a white person often as i have very European/spanish features instead of like Mexicans)

Would they treat me as a white gaijin or some nigger?
What can i do to increase my chances with japanese girls? im pretty good with girls here as they find me pretty good looking/ charming i guess but i know east asian girls are alot more shallow
i have short hair (about a 3 clipper size with a fade) and a full beard. Should i shave that beard and grow my hair out?
>>
>>883403
Just give up on your chances now.
>>
>>883403

>Would they treat me as a white gaijin or some nigger?

Both are treated the same way.
>>
First time traveler here.
Should I go to Japan?
I have a low budget, but nothing to lose really.
Just wanna see the sights and do the things.
>>
File: 1285310288589.jpg (25KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
1285310288589.jpg
25KB, 266x400px
>>883403
>(i get mistaken for a white person often as i have very European/spanish features instead of like Mexicans
Ahaha
>>
>>883403
They will probably mistake you for a Brazilian.
>>
Do I have to be in the lookout for bootlegs in Ameyoko? Any tips for shopping on the streets in general?
>>
>>883432
Japan is not good for a low budget.
>>
>>883245
So, I'm planning on attending Comiket one of the days I'm in Japan.
Is there a preferred date where I would want to go? Is there like a day where all the cosplayers are there, because I would love to get some pictures of them.
>>
>>883496
I was there on the second and third days of Winter Comiket and will be this year too. All three days will have cosplay galore, just make sure you abide by the basic etiquette of asking/thanking the cosplayers and staying out of the flow of traffic when you're taking photos. Make sure to visit both cosplay areas for the full experience.
>>
>>883528
Yeah. I already read the english etiquette for attending and taking pictures.
I was just wondering if theres a day where there is a more prominent amount of cosplay?
Also didnt know there was more than one cosplay area?
>>
File: ComiketCosplay.png (1MB, 647x775px) Image search: [Google]
ComiketCosplay.png
1MB, 647x775px
>>883532
Pic related should give an idea of the two areas, the Xs and arrows relate to the rough area and direction that each photo was taken from.
>>
Not sure if this is the right board for this, but I'm trying to get to Japan and I'd like to do this through the military. The question is of course, which branch? Archive searching has narrowed it down to Navy and Air Force, but I've gotten conflicting answers on which branch is more likely to visit and which branch is more likely to actually station you there. Any advice?
>>
>>883546
considering the number of bases and how many servicemen/women there are. You may go your entite career and never see a "destination" base. probability wise you are more likely to be deployed outside japan. It
>>
>>883540
shit.. Thanks a lot, man.
Do you recommend either above one another? I think that was phrased horribly, but I hope you get the point.
One looks a lot larger than the other.
>>
Fuck 1¥ and 5¥ coins.
They are useless. You cant use either in the fucking vending machines.
>>
>>883565
You are supposed to use them at any occasions when buying groceries. Once you learn to use them, you'll often feel there's not enough.
>>
Hello!

I am from germany and from september on, I will study for one year in Japan.
Does someone have some experience with staying in Japan for a longer period and can give me some advices?

For example, is it difficult to make friends as a foreigner and how about girls in general?

And how should I behave if I dont want to disturb or annoy the local inhabitants?
>>
>>883597
Wo genau bleibst du? Ich bin ab Ende Oktober für ein halbes Jahr in Japan.
>>
>>883604

studiere in hirakata. liegt bei osaka und kyoto in der nähe.
>>
>>883597
>For example, is it difficult to make friends as a foreigner and how about girls in general?

How extroverted are you in your home country? On a college campus it might be the easiest because these are the kids who are curious and want to learn about your culture.

Girl's are tricky (like any country) most won't give you the time of day, the ones that are have a lot of preconceptions about what a foreign guy is like and that can work to your advantage if you practice a "ladies first" mentality since most Japanese guys are pretty self centered, in secure and think in a traditional "men first" chauvinism.
Be charismatic, treat a girl right and you will have no problem scoring on a college campus.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1110x629px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1110x629px
>>883245
>>882821
Doge is here:
3 Chome-5-24 Nukui Kitamachi
Koganei-shi, T?ky?-to
Japan

if you use google street view there is a partially opened metal shutter and you can just make out his face under the half opened store front.
>>
What do you guys think is an acceptable amount of money to save up if I want to spend ~2 weeks in Glorious Nippon?
>>
>>883629
you can get by on 100 dollars a day if you are thrifty with housing and stick to cheap walk up food places/ cook your own. You can go cheaper if you pitch a tent and eat only at convenience stores/ buy food from grocery stores after 5:00PM.
You can go even cheaper by robbing people
>>
>>883623
Thank you! I'll be sure to bring him a cucumber!
>>
>>883622

thank you for your response.

usually I have no problems to talk to people. in big groups a may be a bit quiet but it is not like I am not social at all.

well, people in my country tell me that I'm a polite person and I usual treat women well. Maybe I'm going to be lucky in Japan.
>>
>>883635
why a cucumber?
>>
>>883642
;)
>>
>>882794
Lol just get a hotel in Minami Senju in Tokyo, single room for like 2900 yen a night. Search the new koyo for a good one, I'm there right now.
>>
>>883642
ISNT THAT THE QUESTION OF THE DAY
>>
Thinking of visiting Japan for 3 weeks on my own in December (just an idea at the moment) and I have some questions.

I'm mixed race half white half black originally from England but living in Australia how will I be treated?

I would like to see some of the POW camps if they have them or any other else WW2 related what can you suggest?

I'm into food i'd like to eat some yakatori and I want to experience the best sushi, sashimi, soba, shabu shabu, ramen and tempura what places can you suggest?

Also what other food destinations should I visit? (especially food markets) I already know I want to go to the Tsukiji fish market.

I'd like to go and have a look in some cool Japanese shops. shops that will sell manga or odd food items, interesting gadgets and hentai and that sort of stuff what places are good for this?

Is it worth climbing or visiting mt fuji?

I'd also like to see ancient japan, advise me on what temples and other sights I should see.

What hot springs/spas can I visit?

whats a ryokan like and is it worth it?

What things are uniquely Japanese that I can't find anywhere else and should definitely see/do?

What about f?zoku i want see or possibly take part in some bizarre Japanese debauchery like soapland what can you suggest I try?

Thanks for help would be happy to answer questions about Australia or France in return.
>>
>>883661
can't climb fuji in Winter, it is a fucking mountain. You would die
>>
File: gd.gif (294KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
gd.gif
294KB, 500x281px
So i was on kayak and found a non stop round trip flight + hotel (Hotel metropolitan which looks nice as fuck) For $3000 (It's for 2 weeks in tokyo)

Now, as much as i love the deal and the hotel and the city it's in. i can't help but wonder if i could find a hotel that's just as nice (4*) but maybe in a different district/section of tokyo that might end up being cheaper? or shit maybe in a neighbouring city so i can take the train down to tokyo to see the sights.

Anyone know of any places where you aren't paying such a high premium for being in the middle of tokyo? Thanks!
>>
>>883706
there is no "middle of Tokyo"

Tokyo is has many districts, which are as vibrant/safe as the other and usually around the bigger train stations, making getting around pretty easy.

As for that deal, I guess that depends on a) how much of that money actually goes towards the plane ticket and b) whether you want/need the comfort of a 4* hotel
>>
>>883710
also, we just hit the bump limit so I am digging out the new thread >>883082
>>
>>883700
Dumb spic. They don't care if you are brown or not, you are another ?? (they might talk about you behind your back). Source: me. I'm a Mexican of castizo descent.
>>
>>883713
Not >>883700
But lol @ you anon, nothing more pathetic then a faggot whose racist against his own kind.top fucking kek
>>
>>883713
Also
>mexican
>not a spic

even topper of keks.
>>
>>883722
>>883725
Nice samefag butthurt, spic.
>>
>>883493
>implying you can't eat for 1k a day and find a place to sleep for 2-3k a night or just couch surf
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.