[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about taking a gap year. Not in the stereotypical, arrogant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20160204-122802~2.jpg (139KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160204-122802~2.jpg
139KB, 1080x720px
Thinking about taking a gap year. Not in the stereotypical, arrogant meme way, but just as a means of travel. Not sure if something that regimental and organised would suit me, but I'm also a pussy so I have my worst case scenario doubts about just kinda wandering across the world with a back pack for a few months.

Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
Where are you from ? The world is pretty safe if you stick to north america/central europe.

Not like asia, balkans or south america would really be dangerous if you stay careful but you might get in some kind of small troubles if you're traveling for months.

Avoid all of africa though.
>>
>>1077530
I'm from Ireland.

Was thinking of backpacking Europe and some of the Orient. Or, alternatively, volunteering for a legitimate gap year in China or something.

I just wanted to hear people's opinions and experiences and what they think would be best to start with.
>>
>>1077472
Gap years aren't all pretentious or arrogant, only those that are done on their parents money without any intent on bettering themselves or gaining new skills.

What exactly are you hoping to gain out of your gap year? I say you should just go to a region you've been interested in and try to spend some time living there, maybe find a job like working in a hostel or something under the table. Try not to waste it on doing nothing but drinking and partying.
>>
>>1077576
Oh yeah, I totally get that. By gap year, I don't mean just bumming around for 12 months. I mean signing up with GAP or Year Out Group or something for a more organised means of experiencing another culture.

Sorry, I haven't expressed myself clearly in this thread.
>>
>>1077530
Which parts of Africa have you been to?
>>
>>1077578
Those companies don't provide much value for the amount of money you pay them. Basically everything they do can be easily done by the individual.

If you're looking for something like what they offer I suggest getting a work holiday visa and just going out there on your own. You don't want to be babied anyways.
>>
>>1077584
Maybe I do want to be babied. Do I? I'm not sure. I don't know if I could cope by myself.

I thought I'd also benefit socially from those companies. There are other people who sign up, so I'd be almost forced to interact with these people, rather than maybe getting stuck in a rut socially if I go by myself.

I acknowledge that I'm being immature and difficult here, but I guess I'm just kinda playing devil's advocate.
>>
>>1077585
Comfort zones expand rapidly if you put yourself out there. In my opinion you should go alone, figure it out on the way and force yourself to be social. Soon enough it will all become second nature and you'll grow much more as a person.
>>
>>1077589
Yeah, I think you're right.

Even so, if anyone else has a sharable experience with a gap year company, please share.
>>
>>1077472

Not a gap year company, but workaway is a great site for finding places to extend your travel.

We stayed for a month in Southern Chile, picking up grass, picking raspberries, light construction, and other easy tasks. We had a private room, a huge lunch cooked for us, and food for breakfast and dinner. We didn't learn much from the work itself, but learned tons about food, what makes us happy, spanish, and how the local (rich) people live their lives.
>>
>>1077718
theres been a few australian gap year companies that have been in the media for generally being a shit ripoff service. if you leave your country relying on these services you'll end up feeling helpless, alone, and like you've been abandoned when they dont actually hold your hand.

fuck that.

>>1077589
>Comfort zones expand rapidly if you put yourself out there. In my opinion you should go alone, figure it out on the way and force yourself to be social. Soon enough it will all become second nature and you'll grow much more as a person.

so much this. time to grow the fuck up, get out from under your parents umbrella, and take responsibility for your own life.

theres heaps of website for finding travellers jobs, and many larger hostels will have work boards. go to where you're going, look at info about the place you book 2 weeks to stay, then ask when you arrive about places to find work and take responsibility for yourself.
>>
>>1077472
the only thing worse than a spoiled brat on a gap year is one who doesnt realize theyre one.
>>
>>1077940
Okay, Dr Memes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.