[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sim card for my 30 days stay in North Carolina

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: simple_mobile_new40.png (19KB, 251x143px) Image search: [Google]
simple_mobile_new40.png
19KB, 251x143px
Dear /trv/,

I spend the last two hours researching for the best solution for cell in the USA.

What I need is pretty basic:

>a sim card
>a data connection for my e-mails
>make and receive domestic calls

Is SIMPLE MOBILE my best bet? They offer 4 GB data, text and calls for ยง40. (and I have to purchase their sim card for $1.

https://www.simplemobile.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans

Does their network (coverage) good?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1077336
The prices look pretty good. It seems to be a subsidiary of Tracfone (the biggest name in burner cell phones). The only thing I would caution you is they apparently use the T Mobile network. In the US, pretty much all smaller carriers just piggyback on the big networks. That said, T Mobile is close to if not the smallest national netowrk. I'd check a coverage map to be sure you'll have service in the areas you need it. Generally speaking, if you'll primarily be in cities, any carrier will be fine. Nationally I'd say Verizon>AT&T>Sprint>T Mobile as far as coverage, but that's just anecdotal.

tl;dr, make sure T Mobile has coverage where you want to be.
>>
>>1077340
Thanks my friend.

I checked their website and apparently my area is all 'green' so I guess it should work.

If AT&T has the better network, I might go for their plan.

http://www.amazon.com/AT-Prepaid-GoPhone-Refill-delivery/dp/B00C521398

It's only a few bucks more.
>>
>>1077347
If it were me, I'd probably go for AT&T if they have comparable SIM options. I know the US is kinda bad for that. There's a definite power gap between Verizon/AT&T and Sprint/TMobile.

Can I ask where in NC you'll be generally? I lived in Newport and still have family out that way.
>>
>>1077336
>Does their network (coverage) good?
As long as a plan allows FREE ROAMING, it might as well be all the other plans you are on. They use each others towers and services. Not all plans roam. MetroPCS does not, for instance. I think my current Boost does not, but my Sprint did. I have dead spots in rural Florida as a result when driving on road trips, but it's minimal.

Any gaps in coverage in a roaming plan you have in NC will be related to the mountains and will quickly correct itself as you travel. I'd fear it for like hiking purposes or a real emergency like that.

The plan you are considering isn't any different than cricket and all the other no-credit pay as you go plans, such as sold at kmart, wal-mart, gas stations, etc. They're all the same, unless you want quick or unlimited data. See how they give you 2GB, you'd be fine for email, but streaming tv or movies at bedtime on your phone will quickly use that up.

Look at a coverage map for that plan, and if they roam, then if it's a GSM, compare it to the ATT coverage map which is also GSM, and then decide. One thing for sure the price is right, prolly $30-35 is the lowest you can do overall with any plan, for $40-45, should be looking at unlimited data, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>1077351
Somewhat near Duke University, Durham.

Yeah, AT&T also offers a comparable options, it's just that I have to pay more for their sim card.

>>1077352
Thanks my friend. I think I'll go with AT&T and take it from there. I would love to have this shipped to my apartment before I get there.
>>
>>1077353
>Somewhat near Duke University, Durham.
Oh expect good coverage.

You doing something scientific or fun?
>>
>>1077355
Thanks.

A little bit of both, I guess.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.