[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 39

File: Mao.jpg (47KB, 700x415px) Image search: [Google]
Mao.jpg
47KB, 700x415px
Golden Mao edition

General info:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/en/China (preferred, the 'new' one)
http://wikitravel.org/en/China

Hotels:
http://hotel.elong.net/
http://english.ctrip.com/hotels/

Buses:
http://bus.ctrip.com/
http://www.chinabusguide.com/

Trains:
http://www.cnvol.com/
http://www.travelchinacheaper.com/how-to-buy-china-train-tickets-online

Expat restaurants/supermarkets/bars:
http://listings.echinacities.com/

Apps:
Pleco (dictionary)
baidu maps/google maps

VPNs:
Astril/VPNNinja

4chan: get a pass or use a vpn or both (might be blocked now)
(VPNs will get you b& on 4chan if used outside of /trv/)
>>
>>1075030
Postin' 'cause he looks lonely.
>>
>>1075030
That's a pretty fucking big Mao there.
>>
>>1075123
was*
>>
I've only ever been to Guangzhou but are all Taxi drivers in China so shit?
Don't they have GPS over there?
We (me and a friend, GZ local) had to wave at least 10 taxis before there was one who would even bother driving us.
They outright refuse to drive when they don't know the address by heart.
The one we did end up finding had no idea where we wanted to go either but he just took turns until we found it.
At least the Taxis are cheap I guess.
>>
>>1075200
chinese taxi drivers are shit-tier, try uber next time
>>
>>1075200
Never been to Guangzhou but it's pretty common in a lot of places to not give specific addresses but go to local known sites. If you live 3 blocks from a park or mall you tell them to go to that park or mall instead of saying the specific address.

To you guys who have traveled around China, have you ever been invited to peoples homes for dinner just cause they liked you randomly?
>>
>>1075200
i only had two taxi rides during two weeks around there, one was different from non-chinese rides.
we were in shenzhen, near some metro station that has a border crossing open during the day, which closed right in front of us. we had to walk a bit outside to a bigger road nearby, cause even the taxi stand next to the station closed.
which would be understandable...
but then no empty taxi would stop for us. for the first 10 or so, it's fine, but then it started looking fishy.
(there were like 50/minute, it was a lot.) first i dialed a number on the side of one of them, called it, failed to say the name of the place in chinese, and the operator kept saying in english that she didn't speak english.
we saw a lot of others successfully getting in taxis right in front of us in the meantime.
and so after like 5 minutes of failing to hail a taxi, we asked a random local-looking passer-by to hail one for us. it took a few seconds for him, really. the driver did want to leave us when he saw the guy was not joining, so he ended up explaining the destination. (it was written down on our phones in chinese and latin, there was a small map, too, only helped with the passer-by, taxi driver ignored it.)
it was a matter of seconds, really, i should've offered the random helpful stranger a beer or something.
>>
reposting here because it's relevant: I'm going to be in china for the next few months (leaving in feb) and I want to visit a friend in India while I'm there. I'm on a tightish budget, what is the most effective way of getting to India from China (I'll be in Sichuan province)?
>>
File: mao.jpg (66KB, 599x702px) Image search: [Google]
mao.jpg
66KB, 599x702px
>>1075123
Would be a shame if something happened to it...
>>
>>1075266
There's probably some way to get from Tibet to India relatively easily. However foreigners have no easy access to Tibet unless they travel with a group and have a travel permit. I wouldn't recommend, 非常麻煩
>>
>>1075270
So that kind of disqualified train right? what would be the best place to fly from/to (the location in india is relatively flexible because my friend if travelling in india and will meet me somewhere)
>>
>>1075200

They don't stop for foreigners usually because they're racist and don't like you.

Then in the rare occasions they actually do stop, they don't want to drive to your location or don't know how to get there. In short, they're fucking useless.

Try uber or one of those chinese taxi apps next time. Preferably the former. On uber, they can't fuck you over because their driver reputation is dependent on you, and their journey gets recorded, so the chink scum behave themselves. :)
>>
If I want to make a day trip into Shenzen, hiw do I get a visa at the border with Hong Kong?
>>
>>1075316
Use google
>>
>>1075267
If I take the plates off, will he die?
>>
If you're thinking of moving or going to China for an extended period of time you are retarded.

Macau and Hong Kong aren't China.

/thread
>>
>>1075490
People should not like what you do not like. I know how irritating that must be for you.
>>
>>1075495

Name 5 objectively good things about mainland China you can't find our get anywhere else.
>>
>>1075123
Until >>1075267 happened to it, he was known as MegaMao.
>>
>>1075200
>I've only ever been to Guangzhou but are all Taxi drivers in China so shit?
>Don't they have GPS over there?
Taxi drivers generally can't afford smart phones and/or GPS. To make it worse, they're also often partially or completely illiterate.

They probably don't know street names because they probably aren't from the city (and might be illiterate as well), they're likely to be rural migrants.

In general, nobody knows the street numbers, they just use locations like malls and hotels as reference points. You tell someone to go 100m past some hotel.

All of that will vary though, I've had a fair few good drivers and lots of shit ones. Now and then they know much better than me, often they're as clueless as I am.

And a handful are scammers.
>>
>>1075316
>If I want to make a day trip into Shenzen, hiw do I get a visa at the border with Hong Kong?
It's complicated.
You have to use the Luohu crossing (Lo Wu on the HK side). Take the metro to Lo Wu station and go through there.

Once you get to the Chinese side, you need to pay close attention and BEFORE you queue for immigration, find an escalator that goes upstairs. Go up one level and there's an office that issues the visas. It takes a full passport page, some bucks and gives you five days in Shenzhen (you're not allowed outside the city).

This is from some site:

Q: Where can you buy the Shenzhen Visa?
A:You can only buy the Shenzhen Visa at the border crossing Luohu (also called Lo Wu) between Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Luohu is the biggest checkpoint and is located in Luohu district at the end of Metro Line1 Shenzhen visas cannot be bought via travel agents or from the Chinese embassy.

The exact procedure is like this:

you first pass through Hong Kong immigration
walk over a footbridge
you will see a pair of escalators on the left hand side that go to the Shenzhen Visa office (before you arrive at the Chinese immigration desks).
Get a number when you enter, then wait (shortly) in the queue.
You will normally get a visa within a few minutes, but during holidays there might be queues.

I think I had some standard passport photos that they might have taken one of.
>>
>>1075606
>Name 5 objectively good reasons why I should care what you like
>>
>>1075316
>If I want to make a day trip into Shenzen, hiw do I get a visa at the border with Hong Kong?
This has the definitive guide: http://www.olinorwell.com/how-to-visit-china-without-a-visa-shenzhen-5-day-visa-from-hong-kong/
>>
>>1075030
Old thread is here btw: >>1060743
>>
>>1075253
>To you guys who have traveled around China, have you ever been invited to peoples homes for dinner just cause they liked you randomly?
Yeah, that happens now and then. I've eaten with families of various random folk I met along the way.
>>
Can I get oats in China?
Half & half?
I know motorcycles are illegal in a lot of cities. Is commuting by bicycle common? Is there a social stigma?
Is it easy for an expat to move money earned in China to a foreign bank account?
>>
>>1075863

I recentyl transferred some money to my foreign bank account, but the fucks have a $500 a day limit.

I hear you can get a chink to send an unlimited amount of money for you thru their bank or thru alipay, if you trust them with your money
>>
>>1075863
>Can I get oats in China?
> Half & half?
> I know motorcycles are illegal in a lot of cities. Is commuting by bicycle common? Is there a social stigma?

Oats are fairly readily available. Half&half isn't but UHT milk is. Drink less cream fatty.

Bikes are common enough, no real stigma though you won't look 'high class' if you're worried about that. Electric bikes and scooters are the lazy office worker version.
>>
>>1075872

What about almond milk?
>>
>>1075875

oats are gonna be of questionable quality. so i'd watch out lol

you can probably get almond milk at the more expensive high end supermarkets for foreigners and rich chinese. if you're in shanghai, beijing, or the other two tier 1 cities, they'll be in the expat areas. shanghai - french concession. beijing - sanlitun
>>
>>1075631
>Taxi drivers generally can't afford smart phones and/or GPS.

Fucking bullshit, literally every taxi-driver here in Beijing has a smartphone, that's ringing off the hook incessantly with offers for pickup form 滴滴车。
>>
>>1075875
>What about almond milk?
Surprisingly common in regular supermarkets, as are all sorts of nut milks, usually in powder form but not necessarily. Those are Chinese brands though so you won't even know that they're there unless you sit in front of the soy milk aisle with pleco and start translating every box.

Or take a gf.
>>
>>1075893
>literally every taxi-driver here in Beijing
Probably a bit different in Beijing.
>>
What do you guys do about health insurance? I currently pay a little of $300 a month USD for domestic coverage. What's it like in China? Included in your salary/benefits package?
>>
>>1075938
>over $300 a month
And your country hates Obama for introducing some sort of universal health care?

I will never understand the US attitudes to medical welfare.
>>
>>1075938
>over $300 a month
And your country hates Obama for introducing some sort of universal health care?

I will never understand the US attitudes to medical welfare.

>What do you guys do about health insurance?
Travel insurance basically.
>>
>>1075947
It's all down to the Republi-tards. They say "God speaks to me," and then tell the brainless public what their financial backers tell them.

They buy it every time.
>>
>>1075946
It isn't even close to a version of universal healthcare
>>
>>1075985

>this tumblerina will actually vote for Hilary or Sanders

top kek. who's the retard?
>>
>>1075994
>Thinks I'm an Ameri-tard.

Back on topic, have my visa, be in China in a month. Exciting times.
>>
>>1076016

Then don't comment on shit you know nothing of, arrogant Euroshit twat.
>>
>>1075947

That is what Obama's program costs me. Used to be cheaper.
>>
Guy going to Guangzhou here. Thanks to the guy who replied to my questions about steam, vpn and salaries.

I get a paid relocation, but I'm unsure how to post my things to China. Anyone know how to best ship a computer, cases of books and clothes without much of a hassle?
>>
>>1076130
>how to best ship a computer, cases of books and clothes without much of a hassle
Clothes can just go in a box through the post/fedex/whatever. Excess baggage is probably fine too, especially if it's paid relocation and you get reimbursed.

Books are heavy which is unavoidably expensive. Maybe try surface mail but make sure you protect them against damp. Are you planning on staying forever? It might be more practical to store than ship.

If the computer is a tower case, try and see if it's under carry-on limits. If so, take it carry-on. They can easily be damaged or destroyed as checked luggage. If you can't, open it and take out cards, drives etc, pack them flat between foam in a box and then send the case containing almost nothing as checked luggage. The real danger is that the baggage handlers toss it on to a trailer and something like a card breaks free inside the case and bounces around the case for the next 20 hours like the most expensive game of arkanoid ever. I had an exec take a server overseas and that was exactly what happened to it, it didn't work when it arrived. Personally, I've taken tower PCs as carry-on on several flights with no trouble but I was in business class, not sure about you. I just packed them in their original cardboard box and taped the shit out of it.

You might be able to take the tower as 'delicate' luggage but I wouldn't risk it.
>>
>>1076136
Hmm, alright. They would pay for the shipping but perhaps the check in is the best advice. Possibly I could get myself one of those pelican cases.

I got myself a mini tower since I've always been traveling, so I've previously just pulled the gfx card and the hard drives and shipped it but I was hoping for a business solution.

I was thinking about making an attempt to use the money intended for relocation to use for furniture instead, then just buy myself a new computer, monitor, tv and whatever there. But that might be difficult.
>>
>>1076138
>just buy myself a new computer, monitor, tv and whatever there.

Definitely just buy a new monitor, it's not worth shipping them. You only really need the tower and maybe your fancy gaming keyboard/mouse which can be thrown in your suitcase fine.
>>
>>1076136
I cannot get over this "tower carry-on" thing. They let you bring a computer onto a plane?
>>
>>1076191
>I cannot get over this "tower carry-on" thing. They let you bring a computer onto a plane?
It's not like you can hijack a plane with it and isn't every laptop a computer anyway?

Obviously it goes through the fucking xray.
>>
I had a date with a hot slut at a starbucks a few weeks back. we sat in a private booth where no one could really see us, so i started making out with her. she liked it because she stuck her tongue in my mouth back, but then she said she only wanted to learn English from me.

I tried to meet her again. she would initially agree to a date, but then cancel last minute.

What's her deal? Did I make her 'lose face' by making out with her in public even though no one saw us?
>>
So I'm going to China for the first time for 3 weeks, general plan is one week in Shanghai area (including Nanjing and Hangzhou), and one week in Beijing area.

So for the third week, I would like to see more 'natural' china....would Sichuan be a good shout?

Any recommendations? I'll have a chinese friend with me, but she hasn't ventured far out of Shanghai I believe.

Cheers!
>>
>>1076216
It is very common for those sort of women to cancel at the last minute. They want to assert dominance and test you.

A good response to these last minute cancels is, "I guess I'll have to return that then. It would have looked nice on you."
>>
>>1076219

I should add, I'll be going on feb 20
>>
>>1076219
There is "natural" China in the Beijing and Shanghai area. Do you want rocky mountains thousands of miles above sea level? Is that what you mean by natural?
>>
>>1076222

Yeah I've seen there are scenic areas around beijing that we'll probably check out.

I guess somewhere a bit more low-key, inland china - nearer mountains, although I don't think we'll be doing any strenuous hikes.

Realise this is a vague, dumb question - trip has been arranged and booked in the past two weeks, and there are so many choices in China!
>>
File: 20150904_172753.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150904_172753.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1076511
>study in China at Kaifeng in the Henan province. I know its not as cool as Shanghai, but oh well. I was just wondering what are some things I should bring with me, things to do, places to see, any advice

Kaifeng is kind of small and really touristy, mostly domestic tourism though. You can do the various tourist things in town one at a time while you're there, how long are you staying?

There are some big stores around but no real Western stuff other than fastfood (it has KFC/PizzaHut/McDonalds). However it doesn't matter much because Zhenzhou is an hour away on the train and you can get whatever you want there. If you're in Kaifeng a long time then you'll probably get in the habit of partying in Zhenzhou on the weekends or something.

Bring anything western that you can't live without until you go to a walmart/metro in Zhenzhou. There are heaps of places around Zhenzhou to go see, check out Anchang or Linzhou some time, they're both just a few hours away. Linzhou has airsports like paragliding as well as hiking etc. Anchang has some history, it was an even older Chinese capital than Kaifeng.

There is a fairly ridiculous amount of stuff to see and do in Kaifeng, pic related is an old qing dynasty (so not very old) court building on the site of a much older palace. Kaifeng was the capital of the Song dynasty and about three earlier kingdoms, depending on how you count them.
>>
>>1076557

Henan is a crazily overpopulated shithole but Kaifeng is nice. It's home to one of the most random things, a Jewish community in China. They even have a synagogue. Given that OP will be in Henan i recommend him to visit Nanjie Village, 南街村, the last communist village in China, an interesting place. It's south of Zhengzhou in Luohe City.

In Kaifeng anyone must find this restaurant and this donkey soup :花三驢肉湯 best soup i had in my whole life, it's a famous place in Kaifeng
>>
Kind of dried up the well in my hometown. Are there endless women to fuck? I don't want to date or anything, just one night stands.
>>
>>1076562
>They even have a synagogue
Isn't that the remains of a well in the basement of what is now a TCM hospital?

>>1076573
>I don't want to date or anything, just one night stands
Try Shanghai.
>>
What are some nice semi-untouched mountains / parks that are not entirely isolated from GZ in Guangdong? Three hour train ride away (not taxi) is fine. Family is visiting in April / May, and I would like to show them some nature that has not been turned into concrete or an amusement park.
>>
File: ouVTo8R.jpg (191KB, 693x887px) Image search: [Google]
ouVTo8R.jpg
191KB, 693x887px
To >>1075200 & everyone else:

What is Guangzhou like? How many westerners are in the area? Are there a lot of white people, do a lot of people speak English?
>>
File: 20150816_165214.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150816_165214.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1076657
>semi-untouched mountains / parks
China has had two thousand years of domestic tourism, it's practically all developed.

Try Xiqiao mountain in the suburbs of Foshan, it's developed of course but the views are nice. You can get there by metro to Foshan and local bus to the suburb but it would take at least three hours so you're better off with a car.
pic related

Practically any nice looking mountain in China has a temple or something on it, and since that temple either has monks or tourists, it needs roads and shit to get people and food there.

There are camping places and there are less developed places but not much of either in the pearl river delta that I know of.
>>
>>1076662
You can go for days in GZ without ever seeing a westerner, depending on what city within the city you're staying at.
You might even get mugged by scummy guest workers from poor provinces if you take the wrong turn.
Anyway, a lot of foreigners are around Zhujiang New Town with all the fancy bars and expat hangouts.
Or you take a trip to Chocolate town and hang out with Guangzhou niggers.
Wouldn't rely all too much on English, anywhere in China.
>>
>>1076676
Okay cool thanks. How many Russian speaking people do you notice there?
>>
>>1076682
I saw a Russian couple buying suitcases in one of the wholesale markets once.
>>
>>1076683
Haha, thanks mate.
>>
>>1076682
I lived in Guangzhou for a couple of years and i saw a lot of russians, there's a big community
>>
Can I buy brand name computer parts online somewhere? HK/Shenzhen/GZ area?

I was looking at alibaba, but seemed most are sold in bulk for some reason.
>>
File: 36535653.jpg (58KB, 839x732px) Image search: [Google]
36535653.jpg
58KB, 839x732px
Anyone know where I could purchase a hat like this in China or HK?

and if I could get it for cheap
>>
>>1076750
are you an autist
>>
>>1076676

i'm thinking of moving to GZ possibly. i take it if i get a teaching job there at any school or center, I'll be forced to work with africans working illegally?.

how are the salaries there? not as high as beijing or shanghai i imagine, or am i wrong
>>
>>1076557
I am going to be there from Feb to end of June. A friend of mine just got back and said the teachers there are pretty cool with you wanting to travel and he said he took a week off of classes to go to shanghai. I also gave myself an extra week of insurance so I could travel as well. I am pretty cool with trying different foods, and I am not to picky with that.
>>
>>1075030
That's a Big Mao
>>
File: 20150919_144536.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150919_144536.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1076701
>brand name computer parts online somewhere? HK/Shenzhen/GZ area?
If it's online then you don't care about the area.

>>1076701
>alibaba, but seemed most are sold in bulk
Alibaba is mostly for wholesale.
Aliexpress is the retail version of it.

Those are really for foreign markets though. Inside China, use taobao and JD as the local versions (no English but just copy/paste into fanyi.baidu.com all the time and you can get through it).

>>1076750
>Anyone know where I could purchase a hat
Try a hat store.

>>1076761
>if i get a teaching job there at any school or center, I'll be forced to work with africans working illegally
They'll probably be working legally, from Camaroon or somewhere else with English as a first language (Camaroon is English first in the city, French first in the countryside). Don't know about salaries.

>>1076765
>Kaifeng
>Feb to end of June

We'll you'll definitely see all of Kaifeng. I think that just the stuff around Zhenzhou will keep you busy in that time but you can go further away if you want.

pic related is Taihang Canyon next to Linzhou (which is near Anchang),a few hours north of Zhenzhou. I also went tandem paragliding off one of those cliffs.
>>
>>1076827
finances for me wont really be an issue but out of curiosity, how much would I expect to pay for paragliding or activities of the like over there?
>>
>>1076848
>how much would I expect to pay for paragliding or activities of the like
It's not actually any cheaper than the west because they probably buy their equipment from the west anyway and it's basically a luxury sport.

I paid about Y700 for a tandem paraglide from the school next door to the hostel. The hostel arranged it all for me. It could probably be done a bit cheaper.

A couple staying in the hostel were paragliders who came for the canyon basically and they were paying much less, only about Y100/jump or something but they had their own equipment etc and were basically paying for a lift up to the jump site, using the jump site and a pickup on the ground though most of the time they actually took taxis or something back because they landed in some corn field 100km away.
>>
>>1076881
Thank you for your help my friend
>>
>tfw fucking nong farmers haven't gone back to their hometowns yet
>hear car horns honking by my apartment all day every day
>neighbors upstairs making noise all day and odd times at night that sounds like they literally jumping up and down
>just want some peace and quiet and an empty city after the nong farmers go home for 2 weeks

christ, when are these fucking backwards uncouth farmers going back to their hometowns en masse. I'm about to snap
>>
Why is it that I can always tell when Chinese people in the west come from money?
>>
>>1076600
So how easy would it be to pick up women in shanghai? Or anywhere I guess
>>
>>1076966
because peasants can't afford to travel
>>
>>1076977
By anywhere I mean China
>>
>>1076977

what city are you in now
>>
I really want to live in China for a year or two. Can you guys recommend me some cities I should look into that would be good bases for exploring the country? Not something in the north where I would die from the pollution within a week. From what I've seen the least polluted cities are all in the south, and also I prefer warmer weather. I'm into hiking and do enjoy the outdoors but I'm more into interesting cities and a place that's easy to visit other locations nearby on a motorbike. Not a big fan of beaches, but does China have any surfing spots?

I have a masters in business, something like an MBA but not quite I guess. It's from a genuine university that has pretty good rankings (top 300 in the world), not some paper mill. Do you think I would be able to find a job easily that's not just an English teaching gig? Should I try my hand at teaching to get my foot in the door and then look for non-teaching (possibly business related) jobs while I'm there? Do universities hire foreigners without PhD's?
>>
>>1076991

I strongly recommend Shenzhen, no pollution (not much), good weather despite typhoons, young city, full of qualified migrants from Hunan and Sichuan. Many of those left their parents behind, which means that girls are wild. Also you're right next to Hong Kong if you need some West.
>>
>>1076983
I'm not in China yet, but I will be in a few weeks. I'm going to several cities. So it was a general question
>>
>>1076995
>>1076991

i thought shenzhen was decent. only problem is it gets very hot and humid, so you'll be sweating all the time. plus it rains a lot.

it also has a small town feel to it. you'll end up seeing the same people in coco park and sea world (the popular nightlife areas) and such after a few weeks.

the chinky girls in coco park didn't seem all that impressed with foreigners when I went there last year, but I still ended up getting laid. too many dipshit foreigners coming there and trying to hit on every girl in sight i guess
>>
>>1077002
aaand you're one of those dipshits or what sets you apart?
>>
>>1077002
Yes, Guangzhou Shenzhen and Hong Kong are very hot in summer, if you're not used to humidity it takes time to adjust
>>
i sweat so much in guangzhou i actually killed my phone in the pocket of my pants from all the humidity
fuck their climate desu
>>
As part of my Chinese learning, I've always avoided Chinese girls who hang out with foreigners and speak English. This has been my most successful strategy when it comes to study Chinese
>>
>>1077005
When i was living there i ruined my passport with my sweat, i understand you.
>>
File: china-temperature-july.jpg (318KB, 1300x995px) Image search: [Google]
china-temperature-july.jpg
318KB, 1300x995px
>>1076991
Maybe Kunming? I've never been in Yunnan myself but it seems like one of the most interesting and beautiful provinces. Also due to its elevated location the summers are warm but also not crazy hot like the rest of the south (pic related).
>>
>>1077003

well i wasn't hitting on every girl there like some socially inept dork or obvious poon hound. just the girls that would look my way or show interest
>>
I'm visiting Beijing in a couple of weeks. no idea where I'm staying or doing right now.

Any recommendations for areas with decent nightlife? And English speakers, don't mind if they're travellers or Chinese.
>>
>>1077011

sanlitun is the area to go to score girls as a foreigner there.

avoid the african drug dealers
>>
>>1077004

How does Shenzhen compare to HK? Other than the obvious: more international, bigger expat scene, different culture, less foreign exotic factor.

Are the girls harder or sluttier than Shenzhen chicks?
>>
>>1077013
Well, first of all it's so much cheaper, specially rent, compared to the shitholes people live in hk. I've never actually lived there,but I think shenzhen will be a more exciting experience than HK.
>>
File: Yubeng.jpg (355KB, 1566x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Yubeng.jpg
355KB, 1566x1050px
>>1076991
>>1077009

Kunming confirmed for best(ish) expat hideout in China. I lived there 5 months myself and have travelled extensively around Yunnan, from Deqin and Shangri'la in the North to Ruili and Xishuangbana in the South, passing through Lijiang, Shaxi, Dali, Chicken Foot mountain, Laojun mountain, Tiger Leaping Gorge, Kunming, etc. Kunming has a much larger expat community relative to its size than any second or third tier city. What anon said is spot on: mild Winters and mild Summers, plus lots of sun and pretty good air quality.

Yunnan is China's most diverse region (ethnically and geographically). It goes from Tibetan plateau in the North-West to Tropical Indochina in the South. The largest number of ethnic minorities live in Yunnan, and most of them are conspicuously present around the province. Backpacking developed in Yunnan before pretty much any other region of China and thus, paradoxically, even though it is one of China's poorest provinces it has some of the best tourist accommodations (and accommodations that actually accept foreigners, which isn't always granted). Especially in hotspots like Dali and Lijiang, pretty much every other building is a guest house.

Obviously Kunming won't offer as many business and job opportunities as the first tier cities, but quality of living there is very nice; it's cheaper and more laid back than Shanghai or Beijing and offers vastly superior travel opportunities in the region, as well as in neighbouring South-East Asian countries like Laos and Vietnam.
>>
>>1076995
>>1077002
>>1077009
Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked into all those previously. I guess Shenzen would be interesting as it's close to HK and Macao and a million other places. Biggest down side for me would probably be that it's a huge clusterfuck of cities with over 120 million people. Not sure if I want to live in such a densely populated place. And you say it has a small town feel? How is this possible haha.

>>1077019
I was just about to write something about Kunming before I read your reply. Interesting, I have read much about the city previously, it does look like a good place to live. How is travel to other parts of China from there? It's likely I wouldn't get a business related job that easily anyways, maybe some place would hire me as a token white guy, I hear they do that in some parts of China.

Has anyone been to or lived in Nanning or Xiamen/Fuzhou? Would those be good options?
>>
File: jizushan.jpg (396KB, 1516x1050px) Image search: [Google]
jizushan.jpg
396KB, 1516x1050px
>>1077022
Generally speaking, the deeper you go into China, where people have seen fewer laowai, the more valuable a token White guy becomes.
Travel from Kunming is excellent. The new airport was built in 2012 and has more connections than before. There aren't many direct flights to Western airports, but for domestic travel and most nearby destinations in Asia you're covered.
>>
>>1077026
Sweet, can you tell me more about about the city? What are the costs, cheaper/more expensive than in other places? You say there's a lot of expats, is that a good thing, guess no token white guys in Kunming, right?

What do people do for fun there? How is the food?

From what I read and heard from other people about Chinese cities is that in many very large cities people are still very backwards while in others they're quite modern even by western standards. How are the people in that city and region?

How much are plane tickets to go to different parts of China? I guess trains wouldn't be a good option as it's kinda far to get anywhere from Kunming...
>>
How are the grills in Kunming
>>
>>1077013
>Are the girls harder or sluttier than Shenzhen chicks?

harder, but when you find a slut she'll be an actual slut. in shenzhen it will just be some poor girl looking for love and thinking she'll find it that way.
>>
File: kunming2.jpg (110KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
kunming2.jpg
110KB, 1024x578px
>>1077031
I don't know how much more expensive it has gotten. Probably not much. I think I paid something like 400 RMB per month for a room in a shared apartment. Anyway, food is cheap and most other things even cheaper. I got my cheapest haircuts in Kunming, for 5 RMB, i.e. $0.8. You could also get a bowl of noodles for that price. This was in 2011. It won't be that cheap now, but still close. Ultimately Kunming food is like anywhere else in China. If you get sick of that, luckily Kunming has tons of Western restaurants and other Asian ones (best Thai food I've ever had was there). I always enjoyed the fact that there were quite a few authentic Western restaurants that offered affordable food, whereas in places like Shanghai you've got chains like Wagas or Perry's or high-end dining, all of which were more expensive than the Chinese alternatives.
The expat community is small, but certainly more vibrant than in other comparable cities. But it's nothing like Shanghai. You will still stand out as a White guy, don't worry. The night life is pretty straight forward: KTV, bars, Chinese nightclubs, various cultural events I guess. I remember there being events organised by expats, something called TCG Nordica, I never really checked it out. Dunno about them now. Check gokunming.com.

Domestic flying is usually pretty cheap as well, $50-100 for most destinations I would imagine.

Pic related is the outskirts of the city from the Western Hills.

>>1077033
Like most places in China: very easy, bad teeth, upper lip shadow.
>>
>>1077048
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

5RMB for a haircut and 5RMB for a bowl of noodles... Did they just put the empty noodle bowl on your head and cut around it?

Kunming does seem appealing. I'm very tempted to go before I settle down somewhere in a western country. I'll do some more research into this, I want to pick a place that won't drive me insane for the year or two I'm there. I could always spend time in different cities I guess, maybe a year up north and a year in the south. Not a fan of winters at the moment after living the last 20 years of my life in Canada...
>>
>>1076961
Could be worse, at least you're in Shanghai and not next to Guangzhou station.
>>
>>1076991
>Not a big fan of beaches, but does China have any surfing spots?
That's weird anon. But you want Hainan Island, I recommend a place called Haihou beach that's an hour or two east of Sanya and has a hostel called White Castle.

>>1077002
>too many dipshit foreigners coming there and trying to hit on every girl in sight
You mean too many people like you. I agree that Coco park clubs can be a bit depressing when you see the number of single foreign men hitting on the girls and the same single Chinese guys trying to hit on the same girls and both groups trying to cock block every other guy.

Still, it's a rich vein to tap.

>>1077009
>Kunming
That's really not a bad choice. It's not terribly western but it has a few places if you want to shelter from culture shock for a night, some western bands, food, drinks etc.

And Kunming has lovely weather, always mild, absolutely never humid and there's heaps of places around it to go see.

It doesn't have high speed rail yet but it's in the works. Probably still a year or two away, currently the HSR only goes as far as Guizhou.

>>1077022
>Nanning or Xiamen/Fuzhou
Nanning is alright, it gets stupid hot in summer though, it's definitely not an international city, quite provincial.

Xiamen has both developed and undeveloped parts, it's a tourist city but for domestic (and Taiwanese) tourists. It has easy ferries into Taiwan and high speed rail to elsewhere in China. There's a Mexican Cantina that has great Pina Coladas and authentic tacos, not even texmex ones but actual Mexican tacos by a Mexican chef and his USA wife. Doesn't see many foreigners but there's a few.

Fuzhou is off the tourist path and doesn't have that much for foreigners but there's a little. There's an impressive bar street.
>>
>>1077083

difference between me and them is:

these guys probably work in HK and thought they could swoop in, spend a weekend in SZ and have it easier with the girls, but they thought wrong. or, they're sex tourists spending a few weeks in china and are desperate to get laid.

i've been living here for over 2 years now. so, poopoo on you
>>
Anyone know where I could buy a cheap pair of running shoes that won't come apart in 2 seconds in Shanghai?

All the big malls will probably charge me like 1000 RMB for regular running shoes, fuckin ridiculous.
>>
>>1077102
No, they work in SZ like everyone else, they're probably engineers supervising factories or managers or something.
>>
>>1077108
>cheap pair of running shoes that won't come apart in 2 seconds in Shanghai
>cheap
>Shanghai
>won't come apart in 2 seconds
Pick any two anon.
>>
File: China-Jiefang-Xie.jpg (141KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
China-Jiefang-Xie.jpg
141KB, 1000x1000px
>>1077108
Not sure about that bro. I bought fake Nikes for 50 RMB in the fake market (that lasted me a whole year). You can probably find them even cheaper on taobao. Feiyue sells shoes for super cheap if memory serves. You could always buy jiefang xie for 10 RMB.

>>1077061
Got my hair cut there twice, once by an inexperienced trainee, once by a more seasoned hairdresser. That second time was an excellent haircut. I know people in Shanghai who insisted on visiting 200-400 RMB hairdressers, but they were still unsatisfied by the result.
>>
>>1077139
>jiefang xie
I bet they don't come in size 48 :(
>>
File: jiefangxie.png (249KB, 1207x715px) Image search: [Google]
jiefangxie.png
249KB, 1207x715px
>>1077146
Don't be so sure about that. ;)
>>
>>1077164
hory sheet

I'm opening taobao right now. Thanks anon!
>>
>>1077139

I'm the guy that originally asked where to buy shoes. Thanks man.

Where is the fake market or Feiyue? I'll go there tomorrow since I don't have a taobao account and I don't want to have a girl order them for me. The fake market sells shoes in Western sizes?
>>
File: fakemarket.jpg (453KB, 1390x1050px) Image search: [Google]
fakemarket.jpg
453KB, 1390x1050px
>>1077193
I forget where the Feiyue shop(s) is/are.
Of course the fake market has Western sizes: they're the main people who go there ;)))))).
Prices are cheap as long as you know how to bargain; the vendors here tend to prey mercilessly on inexperienced Western buyers, so a pair of shoes that's worth 50 RMB will go for 500 unless you bargain the price down.
If memory serves, there are at least 3 fake markets.
The most well known one is on Nanjing West road, close to People's Square. (Han City Fashion & Accessories Plaza) 31°13'58.58"N 121°27'41.82"E
Then there's the Qipu road clothing market which is spread out over several buildings and sells all sorts of shit plus some fakes 31°14'52.38"N 121°28'39.38"E
Then there's one in the Science and Technology Museum metro station (a large station) 31°13'18.21"N 121°32'20.69"E
>>
I'm gonna surprise my Chinese friend in GZ with an unannounced visit on a 72h visa, booked a room in a tacky hotel with double king size bed at Beijing lu where I'm gonna shag her but that's not the point...where could I take her out? Is there a nice place somewhere not too far from that area?
>>
>>1077344
Not that close but Party Pier is a good place to take people out, it's near Guangzhou Tower, north stop on the APM.

Beijing Lu will have shitloads of places you can go though, I just haven't done much entertaining around there except for when my ex took me to yumcha in the tiny shops around it.
>>
Have a layover flight at Shanghai Pudong Airport for roughly 6 hours, is it worth it to venture out? I hear the lines to get back in are long and complicated and wouldn't wanna miss my connecting flight.
>>
>>1077382
6h is too short
Chinese are an inefficient mess
>>
>>1077382
>layover flight at Shanghai Pudong Airport for roughly 6 hours, is it worth it to venture out
Tough call but at least you have the maglev to get into town in less than half an hour.

You could take it both ways but you wouldn't have much time to run around. Maybe enough to get lunch and walk along the bund?
>>
so how are you lads spending spring festival?

i'm in beijing and probably going to spend it with whoever i make friends with in my hostel.
>>
>>1077441
>so how are you lads spending spring festival?
My partner's family are doing various things and I'm being dragged around to dinners etc. We're also hosting a few lunches and at least one party.

Then we go away for a week and see some things.
>>
>>1077201
>Then there's the Qipu road clothing market
I bought some here in this one, tons of choice, don't ever go above 100RMB even for good leather shoes.
I had trouble to find 43 though.

>the Science and Technology Museum metro station
This one sucks and far away, nothing more to see so avoid.

Also anyone knows Kunming well ? Got my little brother (half chinese) going with his mother this summer. I might spend 4-6 weeks just chilling but I wonder how good it would be for foreigners.
>>
>>1077526
See >>1077048 >>1077026 >>1077019

The city itself is very pleasant, and it offers a good platform to visit Yunnan province, which is pretty much the most tourist/backpacker friendly and most exciting province in China.

Check out this documentary ;P https://vimeo.com/7877242
>>
>>1077526
>anyone knows Kunming well
Reasonably.
Dongfeng lu has the bars, there's a cafe on a side street (with some big street market) that is the unofficial laowai hq. Lots of people meet up there in the evenings.
>>
>>1077441
Alone.
>>
>>1077061
Not him or his city, but I get my haircuts for 10 RMB, and that is only because I told them I will pay 10 RMB. All of my students tell me 5 RMB.
>>
>>1077629
Wenlin Jie and Wenhua Xiang, usually referred to as "foreigner's street" ;)
There's also a night quarter a bit further South of Cuihu called the Kundu night market, which has a bunch of dance clubs, where you'll see more Chinese party goers.
>>
>>1077629
>>1077547
Thanks, sounds good so far.

Thing is I have money for 2-3 years and I'm totally free, so I might stay longer and use it as a main camp to travel in asia and come back.

I'm a city dweller who's scared of nature and will certainly avoid expats since I'll be introduced to locals and my brother speaks perfect chinese.
I'm really shit with languages but hope to find people speaking english or french.

I have some specific questions though :

How's the alternative culture ? Are there decent bands especially in metal/punk/grindcore ? And a way for me to play drums alone or with people ? I'm scared they're still into dad rock like AC/DC.

How's the english ? I'm 27 so maybe a bit too old to be around people still in university.

Are internet cafés a thing ? Any way to install my own programs there ?

How hard is it to get the one year multiple entries VISA ? I already got the 30 days single entry twice and I'm swiss.
Any places I shouldn't go from there if I want to be able to return in Kunming ?
>>
>>1077667
On a tourist visa I don't believe it's possible to get 1 year, unless you change to a student or work visa once you're there. But it's quite simple to extend the visa from month to month: you just go to a Public Security Bureau, ask for a visa extension and come back a few days later to retrieve your passport. I did it twice to extend my visa from 3 to 5 months when I was in Kunming.

Pretty sure there's an alternative culture, though not as big as in Beijing. I'm not familiar with it though.

The Chinese don't speak very good English, but they're all obsessed with it and will do anything to spend some time having conversations with English speakers for practice.

There are quite a few Internet cafés, and I believe it's a thing for people to stay there over night instead of booking a hotel room, lol. I never used them.
>>
>>1077667
>How's the alternative culture ? Are there decent bands especially in metal/punk/grindcore ? And a way for me to play drums alone or with people ? I'm scared they're still into dad rock like AC/DC
Alternative scenes are few and far between and they're very small and limited. They do exist though, I just don't know how to find them. I know that there are a few expat bands in Kunming and actually in most big cities. I met a Cali eurasian chick on a trip to 'get in touch with her Chinese heritage' who formed a band with some other expats. You'd probably be better off in Shenzhen though, that has a bigger music scene I think. I seem to recall that there's a punk bar in Luoyang that I randomly found.

>Are internet cafés a thing ? Any way to install my own programs there ?
They're a huge thing but you'll have to sweet talk the staff because you're supposed to have an ID card to log on. I do know exapts that use them but it's because they made friends with the owners/managers. And I think you generally can't install shit but you could always run portable stuff off a USB key.

Really, you should get a laptop and use Starbucks like everyone else.

>>1077667
>How hard is it to get the one year multiple entries VISA ? I already got the 30 days single entry twice and I'm swiss.
A 1 year, 60 day stay, multiple entry Tourist visa exists and is probably perfect for you, you'd probably need an agent to get it, google 'visaofchina'

>>1077669
>The Chinese don't speak very good English
True enough I guess but every university student and graduate has passed an English competency exam so they theoretically speak a bit.
>>
>>1077667
Guangzhou has a small but very active alternative music scene.
There's good stuff in Xiamen as well.
>>
I see all those videos of Chinese people dying in elevators, escalators, side walks and a whole bunch of other things. Is it really dangerous to just walk around? Do they have good safety pre-cautions? Or am I just taking it way too serious.

How is China's club scene? If you've clubbed somewhere else and you can compare even better. Korea? Japan?
>>
>>1077758 #
>Chinese PSAs
China turns everything up to 11, it's basically just good advice done by a country that only understands propaganda style hyperbole.

Of course, Chinese people are notoriously disorderly and uncooperativeso they have a big job in changing attitudes.

>club scene
Most of the clubs I've been to were cabaret style with mild burlesque shows. Only a few had dance floors.

Cocktails are rare, it's mostly about bottle service. Sometimes you can negotiate great deals on the bottle service though.
>>
>>1077843
>negociate great deals.
Lol, normally if you're a foreigner you get all your drinks for free in night clubs, because the clubs are desperate for a White man presence. This was the case in Shanghai at least, though the alcohol was of dubious provenance.
>>
>>1077906
really depends on where you go. I think you're exaggerating

only super trashy places will give you all free drinks. even most of the super trashy places will do 2 for 1 instead.

if you go someplace nice you won't get anything at all.
>>
>>1077907
I'm not exaggerating in the sense that when I was in Shanghai I went clubbing very often and to most of the biggest clubs in town, including the higher end places like Mint or Bar Rouge, and one way or another got free drinks.

Some clubs (especially those that were newish) offered coupons that could be redeemed at the bar for a simple drink (rum/coke, gin/tonic, etc.). Other times a promoter would have a table reserved for foreigners who could drink from it, which occasionally meant there wasn't enough to go round. It's true that you probably need to get in contact with a promoter, but that was easy enough when I was there. They practically beg you to come to the club, since that's how they are paid.

Of course, I'm not talking about respectable bars; I'm talking about Chinese nightclubs with blaring dance music. I am aware there is a more sophisticated night life in town, but that's not what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1077909

You're full of shit.

Bar Rouge wouldn't give a fuck if you're white. It's packed no matter what.
>>
>>1077935
How about you stop being a bitch. I'm speaking from experience, not out of my ass.

The effectiveness or usefulness of hiring promoters who get you free bottles is irrelevant; the facts are there. If you'd lived in China for any length of time, surely you'd have discovered that logic is not something you can necessarily count on in that country.
>>
File: chinese.qt.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
chinese.qt.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
I'g going to Beijing in 3 weeks for 2 months. What are the best ways to get laid while I'm?

>pic related
>>
>>1077998
talk to girls you find attractive and see if there's a connection between you two that could eventually lead to sex
just like in any other country
>>
>>1077998
>What are the best ways to get laid while I'm?
Define best.

Self-respect would be best served by forming a meaningful relationship with another human being based on respect, common interests and emotional engagement.

Easiest would be to stay in a business hotel call the number on the escort cards they put under your door.
>>
>>1078132
>Self-respect would be best served by forming a meaningful relationship with another human being based on respect, common interests and emotional engagement

How does that serve self-respect?
>>
File: $.png (94KB, 186x271px) Image search: [Google]
$.png
94KB, 186x271px
>>1078132
>Define best.
easiest way for a foreigner to bed local girls that aren't hookers
>>
>>1078152
>easiest way for a foreigner to bed local girls that aren't hookers
Try momo or okcupid.
>>
>>1078145
>How does that serve self-respect?
If you need to ask the question, you probably wouldn't understand the answer.
>>
>>1078164
any advise for using OKC?
>>
新年快乐!
>>
File: GoodIdea.gif (887KB, 320x248px) Image search: [Google]
GoodIdea.gif
887KB, 320x248px
>>1078464
The fireworks were crazy here last night, about three or four hours of nonstop rockets going off all over the place. The ground is just covered in red paper and empty rocket boxes.

We accidentally burnt a shrub to ash, one rocket in our box kind of fizzled and only flew up a metre before going sideways and landing in a bush, that it then set on fire.

>.>
<.<
>>
>>1077944

how long ago were you there? 2010 or 2012 or something

i've been to bar rouge and mint and never got anything. bar rouge sucks ass, it's for old farts and foreigners. hot young chink girls never go there
>>
>>1077758

you sound like a flavor of the monther interested in china.

if you have to ask, i wouldn't come here. this place is gritty and shitty, full of scammers and assholes, disgusting food and pollution. this aint a place you go on vacation or for sex tourism. japan, korea, SEA are infinitely better than this shithole

if you're one of those guys that thinks "hurrdurr china rising, i need to learn mandarinz and get internship in china asap". no. it's going to collapse within the next 5-10 years. and the yuan is rapidly dropping in value
>>
>>1078475
did he dies???
>>
Any good places to look for good teaching positions in Shanghai? That or in a nice area of China.

At a fucking school run by nutters who do shit like fire people on vacation and threaten people and withhold pay all the time and I am just tired of this shit and don't want to last until the end of my contract.
>>
>>1078862

lol. That seems to be standard behavior in china. Shit literally happened to me in December.

I guess the only way to minimize it is getting a job in a shithole tier 2 or tier 3 city where you're not easily replaceable. But these fuckers will fire you over the slightest thing, they're never satisfied.
>>
>>1078475

Where's "here"?

I was in Beijing at h后海 on a rooftop bar and the firework display absolutely put US 4th of July to shame. There was even a couple of misfires, a couple of boxes of fireworks prematurely exploded and my American friend had some fly between his legs under his chair and one landed on his hair (it was already fizzled out though).
>>
>>1078822
>bar rouge sucks ass

I was there 2013-2014
And I didn't particularly like the place either. Look, no one is just going to hand you free drinks when you go through the door, not in Shanghai, not unless it's a new club, not unless you're an attractive young lady and some sleazy Chinaman with 25 bottles of champagne invites you to his table. You need a promoter.

>>1078865
They want to rule the world. In Shanghai especially the standard for schooling is through the roof. It only makes sense they would demand a lot from English teachers, and "muh human rights" ain't gonna work over there. ;^)
>>
>>1078897
>Where's "here"?
Inner Mongolia.

I was just talking about the casual, unofficial stuff. I did see some official stuff in the distance.

>>1078897
>one landed on his hair (it was already fizzled out though)
Haha, me too. It was a bit of cardboard or something.
>>
>>1075030
What is a good website to buy computer parts from?

Also, how do I make sure they aren't destroyed in delivery. Where I am, standard delivery is done via rickshaw.
>>
>>1078918

They don't actually care that their kids are learning anything. They just want you to be over-the-top white monkey dancer for their kids. In shanghai they'll fire your ass because there's a hundreds of thousands of other white faces to replace you.

But hopefully with these new laws and the local govt cracking down, a lot of people will be deported :)
>>
Is there anything in china you can be reasonably sure isn't fake or horribly polluted? It seems to be an interesting country but I don't think I could eat or touch anything there since the grapes are either plastic or comes from fields fertilized with garbage.
>>
>>1078953
well then don't go
>>
>>1078953
Read up, I asked questions about living in southern cities. >>1076991

I'm thinking about going to China for a year or two and I wouldn't want to live in Beijing or anywhere in the north due to the pollution. If you look up on areas with least pollution it's pretty much all cities in the south. If you pick wisely you can find a place that will be good enough to live in. One website I found even compared pollution levels to American cities.

As you travel you'll quickly realize that developing world cities are much more polluted than western cities. Get used to it or don't go.
>>
>>1078992
>>1079012
it's a honest question, China is a large country. Like is there a specific area you can live in that isn't polluted? A brand of food or specific diet you know won't be full of lead or other toxic shit?
>>
>>1079028
If you have to ask such a retarded questions as which food won't be "full of lead or other toxic shit" i'd advise you stay at home to begin with.
>>
>>1079028
Senpai, regulation in the US is pretty lax as well. You should be thankful the Chinese aren't busy with nuclear tests like the Americans were in the 40s and 50s (fallout affected millions of people). The media likes to make things out to be much worse than they really are. Other than low hygiene standards in restaurants or some lower tier supermarkets I would say the food question in China isn't really much worse than the rest of the world, and certainly not worse than the US. Even in Europe, where most countries have extremely strict regulations we were hit with the famous horsemeat scandal 3 years ago.
I find it doubly ironic because the Chinese diet is on the whole healthier than the Western one, which promotes weight gain.

You can easily find android apps that list pollution levels (day by day or monthy data) for all major cities in China. If you care so much, then compare them yourself.
>>
>>1079030
They fertilize their fields with batteries so all them I guess?

>>1079055
I'm not a burger
>>
hiii
>>
I'm surprised none of you are talking about the recent crackdown on VPNs. I couldn't post for a few days, and most of the servers on Astrill are down for good. They say it's only going to get worse, and the censorship will be through the roof.

That's right, kiddies. If you come here, expect to have no porn, no google, no facebook, twitter, linked in, gmail, etc etc. Say it with me now:

Don't come to China
Don't come to China
Don't come to China
>>
>>1079074
>not a burger
Ok, fair enough.

>>1079079
Yea I'm kinda disappointed with the development of the net in China. Back in 2011 Google services worked flawlessly for me. In 2013 I could use gmail on and off. Then some time in 2014 they really cracked down.
>>
>>1079079
>>1079082

I just forked over $13 bucks for Express VPN. It's much better than Astrill. However, when I try to post on 4chan on nearly every server it always says, "Your ISP has been blocked due to abuse."

Is this likely an error with the VPN, or just jap moot trying to get me to pay $20 for a pass?
>>
>>1079079
>no porn
Oh shit, how would I live?

>>1079028
Yes, there are specific areas that aren't polluted. http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-10-least-polluted-cities-map-2013-2

You see the map? The south is not as polluted and the coastal cities are likely to have a breeze and more rain which removes smog issues. The north has a major pollution problem because it gets cold up there, every building has to be heated. Add in all the factories and the fact that they're the worlds biggest coal user and you will quickly figure out which parts the most polluted.

>>1079055
This anon is right, don't believe everything you read online. A lot has been made about gutter oil the last few years. But western countries have had their own issues that were talked about and largely ignored. Chinese cuisine has more emphasis on freshness. And if you're really scared you can always just shop in sterile western-style supermarkets...
>>
>>1079096
Sanya looks like a pretty nice beach city, buying cheap, fresh seafood and having it cooked by chefs at the market sounds great.
>>
>>1079096
>>no porn
>Oh shit, how would I live?
Try dating. I haven't fapped since I hooked up.

>Sanya
Sanya is near nice things but the city itself is disgusting and overrun with predators looking for fresh tourist meat. Everything is designed to extract your money there, it's quite tiring.

>>1079079
>recent crackdown on VPNs
I had some issues during a recent government conference but otherwise it's fine for me.

Internet issues are weather in China, they vary greatly by region, by ISP, sometimes even by building and of course by time.

If you have trouble, you can try waiting or moving and you might find you have access again. I have insane amounts of trouble keeping a VPN alive in Shenzhen but Inner Mongolia has been really stable. Half the city lost internet during the government conference though, even universities had no net for several days.

>it's only going to get worse
That's probably true. China is going back to a Mao type era on everything except economics. They want Communist control and Western wealth. It's not clear how that's going to play out.
>>
>>1079122
how do you get laid at home? etc.
>>
>>1079122

just b whyte
>>
>>1079122
>how 2 date in chinaland?
Every goddamned day
>>
>>1079117
>I haven't fapped since I hooked up.

That's gay, bro.
>>
>>1079168
>That's gay, bro.
I don't get the chance bro, she drains my balls every single morning and night. She's insatiable. If I were to fap, I wouldn't be able to come in her for ages and I'd never get any sleep or be able to get up and go to work.
>>
>>1079186
Is it true that most Chinese girls don't even want to contemplate dating a foreigner cause they have their eyes set on mr perfect and getting married as soon as possible instead of fooling around for a while when they're young?
>>
>>1079192
>Is it true that most Chinese girls don't even want to contemplate dating a foreigner cause they have their eyes set on mr perfect and getting married as soon as possible instead of fooling around for a while when they're young?
It's more that the ideal is for the first man they sleep with to be the last man that they sleep with.

Of course, there are many other schools of thought.
>>
I've been wondering for a while if I will get in trouble for downloading porn in China. I'm talking weeaboo hentai shit. Been half a year and nobody has raised a fuss. I mean, my contract may not be renewed at the end of the year (I teach at a uni in bumfuck nowhere), but besides that nothing has happened and it doesn't seem like staff at the school give me funny looks.

Also, I have not once had trouble with ExpressVPN in Guangzhou.
>>
>>1079258
I doubt it. They had plenty of opportunities to deport me if they were really spying on my Internet porn habits.

>staff give me funny looks.
How paranoid are you? You're not using school computers to browse porn, are you? That would be...stupid.
>>
>>1079261
>How paranoid are you?
One day I am going to write a book about being a sociable and likable closest paranoid autist teaching hundreds of girls (I have eight boys between four hundred students) in China. Nobody will buy a copy.

In any case, good to hear, though I imagine downloading is more noticeable than just streaming.
>>
>>1079261

I'm pretty sure his uni provided him with a residence/apartment on the campus, so he uses their wifi. That's what he's worried about.

>>1079258

Hey, I'm interested in teaching uni. I'm tired of teaching kids, but the money is usually best teaching kids unfortunately. I hear most uni jobs in China pay very low, but on the positive side the hours are very low as well usually. How do you like your job, your students? Do you have to make your own lesson plans every day? How's the pay? Would appreciate any of your input.
>>
>>1079267
I teach classes of fifty and one-hundred-and-fifty. The main focus of this school is electronics, which is not at all feminine, so most women who attend go into Business English (ergo, my classes). Each lesson is two hours long with a five minute break every hour. Last semester, I ended every day by 12:00 AM except for two days (the full workweek being 16 hours). I will repeat that: last semester I did not work after 12:00 AM. I had no classes (work) on Tuesdays.

This semester all of my classes begin at or after 4:00 PM. I have no classes (work) on Thursday. As I live in bumfuck nowhere (the outskirts of the outskirts of Guangzhou), this does not bother me as there is no nightlife.

The school provided me with no lessons plans or syllabus. I was told "teach them about Business English!" when I arrived and that was all of the instruction I received. I bought a workbook (pirated others off the internet) and taught from them. This semester I was provided a textbook and told to teach from it (no specification what materials, so it is essentially the same as before).

I am a 6/10 in American, and 6' 5". All of my students being girls, they love me. Southern Chinese women love foreigners. It is (for China) a shameful cultural phenomena. They all strive to impress me in class. They all want to eat lunch/dinner with me. They all want to take my picture. They all want to talk to me on WeChat. I mentioned before that I am a closest paranoid autist, and I hate all of this. I am convinced they will get me fired by being so clingy, and I hate having to send vapid responses to them over WeChat, but half of my job is to be the white foreigner everyone loves.

I am not seen as a real teacher because of the culture of English Teachers in China. I have had two students approach me and inform me that I am teaching the class wrong and told me what I should change. I smiled and nodded for them and changed nothing because they were wrong.
>>
>>1079270 Continued
The staff all hate me except for those who have decided to speak with me and thus realized how nice and friendly I am. One encounter, fellow English teacher (though I am not considered a real teacher, "foreign friend" is what the staff who talks to me says) invites me to eat with him and another teacher. I agree. I sit down (the other teacher left), my friend leaves. Other teacher returns to the table, sees me, picks up their lunch, does a 180 turn, places their lunch on the next table, and sits down. My friend returns, baffled at why the other teacher changed seats. Fucker offers me her hand when she comes back. I stared at it for four full seconds wondering if I should shake it. I did, but only to save her face.

As a foreigner, you will earn twice or thrice their salary while working half their hours. It is completely understandable for them to be jealous. Add to the fact that most of these people are real educators with years of experience and Doctorate's and Master's... Yup.

I have been told by insubordinate students that I am not a real teacher, that they have "Chinese" teachers. These are the men, mind you. The girls would never do something like that. They, as I have mentioned before, are enamored with me.

Students can get a little wild, but I am used to shouting/have been told I talk to loud. I rarely have issue with it, and when I do, I can just blast into the microphone, blast the room with 100% rock music (only had to do it twice), to return attention to me.

I hammered discipline into all of my students the first week, so I haven't faced much problems.

For the first semester, I did the lessons week by week since it was only when I arrived in China did the reality of "the school is providing you no lesson plans or sylabus" truly hit me. For this semester I did it all over the two month break. I have six different classes, but I only need to design two lessons for them (14 Business English and 15 Business English).
>>
>>1079273 Continued
To put it another way, for one semester I need (27) lessons for 15 Business English and (15) lessons for 14 Business English. I don't meet with them every day and I give the same lesson multiple times a day / week.

I save $1,000 a month while eating out every day, buying a box of cookies every day. I am actually terrified of getting diabetes because of all the sweets I have been eating. It is just there being no fast food here that sometimes I don't want to wait for something to be cooked. I also want something not Chinese like a Chips cookie.

In short, there are times where I forget that I am working because of how empty my teaching schedule is (teaching and lesson planning). There are times where I will become grumpy that I have to spend two hours teaching because it is interrupting my leisure, which, again, is because I actually forget that I am here working.

I write books for some extra dosh, which in China is not chump change even though it would be considered a failure in the United States (how many copies are sold + how much I make).

I'm taking an online Master's because I have the time and money, and, even if it is an online Master's, it will enable me (+ the experience from working at this uni) to work in the Gulf three/four years from now where I can be saving $3,000 to $4,000 a month.
>>
>>1079277
I should add that I have only been reviewed once, and it was during the first month. Man came in, I thought he was a teacher who wanted to learn some English, and loitered in the back of the room. Another man came in shortly after, and the two just dicked around. Were actually something of a disturbance.

At the end of the class they brought me a piece of paper with some random words from my lesson on it and asked me to sign. I had a student translate what was written, which amounted to "he did an amazing job, what a terrific teacher."

After that, never again.
>>
>>1079277
>I write books for some extra dosh
I'm curious, what do you write? Where do you sell/publish?

Is this sold to students for extra tutoring or something?
>>
>>1079280
I write horror and self-publish it on Amazon/Smashwords. I have been told that I write unnaturally fast (10k to 15k words daily), and the books are typically 40k-60k words. Quantity over quality, though I like to think that they aren't trashy. They're trash, but not trashy.
>>
>>1079273
>>1079277
>>1079278

Damn, wasn't expecting that wall of text, but I'm very grateful you shared your experience.

You said you disciplined your students in the beginning and set the tone.. What did you do exactly? I take you had experience teaching before? Do you mind if I ask how much you earn exactly from the uni gig alone?

Also, don't listen to that BS that Chinese teachers make less money than FTs. They get retirement, benefits and all kinds of bonuses and other shit you don't know about that pretty much amounts to your salary, if not more.

The men are jealous because you have the attention of the women and they don't.

I'm actually surprised you haven't been fired yet. Usually they stab you in the back pretty quickly. Other than that, I guess youre lucky you have a relatively easy job where they leave you alone. Ultimately that's the kind of job I want here, except with a salary of at least 20-25k RMB a month.
>>
>>1079283
>I'm actually surprised you haven't been fired yet.
Why is that? This is actually my first year here.

>You said you disciplined your students in the beginning and set the tone.. What did you do exactly?
Mostly it involved picking up the books of troublesome students and throwing them out the door. If a student doesn't want to behave, they don't need to attend class. Keep in mind, I don't say that. I don't say anything. That is the frightening part. They all come back well-behaved.

Students who use their phones: I wait for them to put them down and then snatch them up later in the class and then place them somewhere the student cannot reach (ie. there are televisions hanging from the ceilings in every room that a five foot Chinese girl is not going to be able to reach). It is humiliating for them and hilarious for their classmates.

Another one of my favorites is, during activities, going on their phone (if it isn't password protected) and sending messages to some of their WeChat groups such as, "I was a bad student and used my phone in class" and then showing the student in question the message.

For students who are talking "secretly" to a friend, have them stand up and walk WAAAAY over to the other side of the room. Make sure there is distance so their classmates all see and the student in question is humiliated.

>Do you mind if I ask how much you earn exactly from the uni gig alone?
Less than 10,000 RMB. It is a low salary, but out in the outskirts of the outskirts, it is enough to be able to save $1,000 a month.
>>
Man size condoms, are they available everywhere around?

I Fucked around in korea and Japan but the native rubbers were too small and broke. Had to bring my own from EU in the end
>>
>>1079283
>Also, don't listen to that BS that Chinese teachers make less money than FTs. They get retirement, benefits and all kinds of bonuses and other shit you don't know about that pretty much amounts to your salary, if not more.

That's only half true.

My gf is an assistant professor, she makes 7k/month except that 3k of that is the 'bonus' that she gets at the end of the year, actual cash in hand is only 4k/month.
It's only 2k/month during the breaks.

She does get welfare of various sorts and pension etc when she retires which is early for teachers.

Foreigner teachers often make at least 15k/month in a university and sometimes up to 25k/month. The pension etc might add up to that eventually but you have to work at the university until you're 55 to get it. If you change jobs then it's gone, so you're trapped in that job and being fired is just about the worse thing that can happen to you.
>>
>>1079304
>Man size condoms, are they available everywhere around?
Haha, I feel your pain. I suggest the red packaged Durex, I forget the exact name. They're the only ones that ever fit me except for one brand I found just once called Inno which were really comfortable.
>>
>>1079307
When you guys say 20k ish for a teacher. Is that with free housing? Low working hours?

I want to know how good I'm supposed to feel for my 32k a month.
>>
>>1079321
>When you guys say 20k ish for a teacher. Is that with free housing? Low working hours?
Probably not housing but generally low hours.
Actual teachers have low hours too but of course marking and lesson writing aren't counted in that.

32k/month sounds pretty sweet.
>>
>>1079282
>that I write unnaturally fast (10k to 15k words daily)

Apparently there are professional e-fiction writers in China who need to write that much and more every day to make ends meet. They might have 1000s or 10'000s of readers, but still make peanuts. I can't imagine the cash flow coming to the owners of such websites.
>>
>>1079321

>32k

Either bullshit or you're teaching chemistry or physics, eh? What city will you be teaching in
>>
>>1079341
>teaching chemistry or physics
Actually, teaching anything except English and having actual qualifications would make more sense for that money.

I've met people who are professors of political science or something at a university that teaches all classes in English. I think the guys I met were three expat polsci professors in Ningbo at the University of Nottingham campus there.

Those guys made bank, had dirt cheap living costs obviously and went out for cocktails every weekend. I think they even had tenure.
>>
>>1079356
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>waahwaah I can't binge on junk food anymore
>("why I had had to go to the hospital in the first place" wtf man?)
>waahwaah Chinese girls don't want to date me
>waahwahh my only outlet is sex and I can' get laid

So you're a social retard who came to China in hopes of getting mad pussy because you can't get your dick wet for shit back home, have no real qualifications so you settled with a teaching gig and now you go mental because you came to the realization that when you're a fucking loser back home you'll be the same fucking loser in China?
Get a grip of yourself you sad piece of shit.
>>
>>1079341
>bullshit
not a teacher.

but shitty hours.
>>
Hello, interesting reading all this about teaching.
Well i'm interested as well. I got two master degrees and want some adventure and go teaching. My last master degree is international relations (I know it's shitty).
But since i'm not a native English speaker, although my master years were taught completely in English, I'm afraid they won't hire me?
Is it worth it to go teach a few years in for example China and save money? Is it possible for me to make a lot of money maybe doing something else there?
>>
so on more or less of a whim I just booked tickets to China

flying to Shanghai, leaving from Beijing, total of 9 days

>crapping my pants as we speak
>jesus christ what have I done

at least the hotels seem cheap-ish
>>
>>1079414

You're not gonna make any money as a non-native speaker. unless you're teaching your own language like German or French, but I hear those jobs are hard to come by. You'll likely be teaching little brat kids for peanuts in a shit hole tier 2 or 3, which is miserable, humiliating work, and you won't be able to save.

>Is it possible for me to make a lot of money maybe doing something else there?

I know a European guy that runs his own business with a chinese partner. He only makes 15k RMB a month. This isn't the land of milk and honey like people make it out to be.

Go to Thailand, Cambodia or other SEA countries, start your own online business and live cheaply
>>
>>1079478

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, as a non-native speaker if you try to teach English, technically you're doing it illegally. There's been recent crackdowns and new laws passed by the govt, so I doubt non-native speakers will even be able to teach English in the sticks in the future.
>>
Does everybody hate Guangzhou here? Is it as bad this guy says it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1VQk_yw5wU
>>
>>1078918

I was the original poster. I'm actually a Math teacher.

Then they do shit like forge your signature on documents claiming to give up some of your legal rights. lel. Fuck mainland. I will never not talk shit about it for the rest of my life. China is the biggest shithole on Earth.
>>
>>1079487
>Does everybody hate Guangzhou here? Is it as bad this guy says it is?
I don't mind GZ but I don't live there.
>>
File: 1240985901894.jpg (163KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1240985901894.jpg
163KB, 600x800px
>>1079492
Haha that's what you weeaboo lech's get. What'd you expect?

A buncha yellow fetish losers from America/Europe try to go to China for degenerate reasons (easy pussy, narcissistic reocgnition) and find... degeneracy.

It's like going into business with the mob, don't bitch when you get your ass beat or robbed.
>>
>>1079510

>chink damage control

Actually a good number of expats only come here to make money
>>
>>1079510

Came here to make money Chang.

Get paid more than your dirty Chink ass.
>>
>>1079510
LIterally nobody into anime shit goes to China
>>
JESUS CHRIST

>go to China over the summer
>have a blast, talk it up to all my friends back home
>meet new friends, woman and her 14 year old daughter
>they just happen to be going to China on vacation in February (now)
ff to JUST A MINUTE AGO
>both women are alone in China
>they are incredibly sick thanks to the New Year crowds
>fever, chills, vomiting, all that
>both still go to the Great Wall today, Mutianyu
>hire a taxi driver to take them there and back
>they're so feverish they can't stand up
>taxi driver offers them pills
>THEY TAKE THE PILLS
>they take pills from a stranger, who is a cab driver, who they can't share a language with, while feverish, in a strange country, while alone

I cannot believe how monumentally stupid they were. They say he drove them to pharmacies first but they were all closed. Am I wrong in being appalled at this?
>>
>>1079579
Nice blog
>>
>>1079579
Maybe they were feeling adventurous? ;^)
>>
When will life return to normal? I've had McDonalds and KFC for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the past week. When are restaurants going to open back up?
>>
>>1079579

they gon get raped by microdick
>>
>>1079587
>When are restaurants going to open back up?
Had a 20 course dinner in a restaurant for lunch today with the GFs family. They seem to be open.

>>1079579
>Am I wrong in being appalled at this?
Not entirely wrong but it's probably actually pretty safe in China. Not many people are actually out to drug, rob and rape foreigners.

I'd be pretty doubtful that the pills actually did anything but that's another story.
>>
>>1079510
What's the story to that picture? I've always wondered.
>>
>>1079607
Wow, nice to know that all I have to do is fly to your city and eat at the kind of restaurant that serves twenty course meals to eat something other than fast food. Thanks!
>>
>>1079608
It's western culture in a nutshell
>>
File: DPRK vs West.jpg (706KB, 1576x1337px) Image search: [Google]
DPRK vs West.jpg
706KB, 1576x1337px
>>1079618

I feel inspired to make a new one with PROC vs West.
>>
Has anyone here been to the Lie Huo arcade in Shanghai? Wondering how English-friendly it is.
>>
Why do chinese girls always disappear and sever contact with you after they get married?

My female friend just contacted me and said she was getting married in the summer, and she wouldn't use wechat anymore. all she said was "nice meeting u" kek. What the fuck. I thought she was a good friend of mine, guess not.
>>
>>1079636
>Why do chinese girls always disappear and sever contact with you after they get married?
They don't want complications. Men that aren't their husband messaging them on wechat are a complication.

Some random hot girl I had on my wechat sang some song and sent it to everyone on her wechat and boy, did I have some questions to answer. It turned out to be some kind of really sappy love song about how badly she wanted the person she was singing to. I think she lost a bet with her friends or something.
>>
File: PROCvsWest.jpg (2MB, 1616x4360px) Image search: [Google]
PROCvsWest.jpg
2MB, 1616x4360px
>>1079630
Needs some work. Feel free to improve it.
>>
>>1079636

>Chinese
>good friends

>Chinese
>good

Pick one.
>>
>average chinaman's life:
>work 7 days a week all throughout the year
>be extremely frugal with money, not even turning on the heater during winter or A/C during summer even if you're extremely uncomfortable
>February CNY comes
>take the whole month off
>spend all your money

kek, why the fuck do these retards do this? do they know how much money they lose by shutting things down for an entire month? that's how economies collapse.

I want to make fucking money but all the schools are closed and I can't do any private tutoring except for one client that stayed behind.

they need more three day holidays throughout the year instead of doing this.
>>
>>1079655
>>Chinese
>>good
>Pick one.
Not having good Chinese friends.

>>1079817
>shutting things down for an entire month? that's how economies collapse
Travel industries have a huge boom, hotels are full, the train companies are sold out for every seat, every train, every day.

Retail industries have a mini-boom before-hand when people stock up. They have a mini-boom during the period when people buy last minute gifts for people they visit. That's why the streets are lined with displays of 12-pack premium milk, fancy cookies and fruit boxes and stuff.

The economy does fine, it stimulates spending and money circulates, that's all the economy really needs, everything else sorts itself out.

People budget for the period, they don't all spend their money. My GFs family takes it in turns to pay for the big meals, it will be someone else's turn next year. Only the richer members of the family are expected to take their turn hosting the fancy stuff.

All those hongbao will get spent sooner or later, the kids don't save the money for too long and hongbao money is supposed to be spent on toys etc.
>>
I'm moving to China! Been kind of a failure in the west after college. Have a working class income with no benefits. I'd like to go to China and be king. Fuck a lot of Chinese women (i hear they love white dick because it's bigger and we're better looking). I'm going to be a teacher. I also am going to model because I'm very good looking. Where should I move?
>>
>>1079922

Autism: The Post.
>>
File: 7580882428_ed1ddc9950_b.jpg (439KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
7580882428_ed1ddc9950_b.jpg
439KB, 1000x620px
>>1079922

Go to Chongqing.
>>
>>1079922
So much bait.
It takes an autist to post these every single thread.
>>
File: fc4.png (215KB, 400x505px) Image search: [Google]
fc4.png
215KB, 400x505px
my problem:

>be me in shanghai
>extremely annoying and harder than it should be to get laid here
>however, don't want to live anywhere else because this is the highest paying city in all of china and it isn't a complete shithole
>there are hundreds of thousands if not a million young european faggots that live here or come here for sex tourism
>they're all pretty much taller than 6' 1", look like male models and have six pack abs
>they sportfucked their way through pretty much every chinese girl that speaks a lick of english
>average chink girl believes they only deserve this type of man, they won't settle for less
>or they're bitter about foreigners now
>beta european and australian faggots have completely destroyed the dating scene here and caused the girls to be overly entitled

how do I solve this problem and actually get laid with quality girls. i've thought about flying to tier 2 cities during my weekends off, but the chinks have jacked up flight prices. E.g. a flight from SH to Chengdu round trip is $400+ fucking dollars.
>>
File: 20141113_082123.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20141113_082123.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1079515
>>1079562
Triggered? Not even Chinese or in China and it's abundantly clear you are a loser. Girls don't want bitter losers slurring the cuntry they're trying to make it in.

You see when you are actually appreciated by attractive Chinese girls you wouldn't be so angry and embittered losers calling them Chinks. It's because of your narcissistic inability to treat others as equals (only above or below you, in admiration or disrespect), becuase you are too insecure to accept a truly equal peer relation. That demonstrates your emotional immaturity.

t. Psychiatrist
>>
>>1079922
I thoguht this shit was real because it was like literally every poster in this thread
>>
Who woulda thought, racsism on 4chan
>>
>>1080126
>>1079922

samefag

Why are you chinks so ass-pained. You flee en masse to Western countries, then get all bitter when a few Westerners come to China.
>>
File: 1441915828479.jpg (8KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1441915828479.jpg
8KB, 210x240px
>>1080128
>>

Also, how do I make sure they aren't destroyed in delivery. Where I am, standard delivery is done via rickshaw.
>>
>>1078939
>>1080224

Is there no anti-spam bot on this board? You didn't even bother to change it up. I'm disappointed.
>>

>>
>>1080226
Why would I change it up when I never received an answer? Taobao seem the obvious choice, but I am not sure if there is a specific online retailer for computer parts like Newegg in China.

>>1080227
Not me. I can only assume it is >>1080226
>>
>>1080229
I answered it. JD or taobao, use a courier.
>>
>>1080242
How do I use a courier if I am ordering online?

Is there an option for that, or do I have them (the website) deliver it to the courier who then delivers it to me?
>>
How are chinese customs about bringing food into the country?

Was planning on bringing black pudding (scotfag) to china for a friend.

Black pudding is essentially a blood 'n' oatmeal sausage, will this be okay?
>>
>>1080282
>I have never bought anything online before
Maybe you should join the 21st century anon?
>>
>>1080329
Probably a bad idea but declare it and the worst is that they'll confiscate it (for lunch).

You can buy it in a butcher in Shekou, Shenzhen.
>>
>>1080478
I've never lived in a third world country that delivers packages via rickshaw. Perhaps you have spent too much time in China.
>>
>>1080329
Keep it in your carry-on and nobody will give a fuck.
>>
File: IMG_0947.jpg (953KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0947.jpg
953KB, 2048x1536px
how much sex can i have for this money in GZ?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (76KB, 896x405px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
76KB, 896x405px
>>1080130
lol more like why are you crackers such failures at life?

"ass-pained" is angsty whitebois like you who can't get laid in china
>>
File: 2013-06-26 23.54.46.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-26 23.54.46.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
It's the white male entitlement complex. Same reason why we're having all these angsty white kids do mass shootings.

Comes from fundamental beliefs like "I deserve to have sex with hot girls" ingrained from media, porn, etc.

No you DON'T deserve it. Common sense says only the top 5% of guys get the top 5% of girls, and those are guys who:
-have high social status: being white in China isn't enough. This means having important parents, connections to society's leaders, etc.
-are physically attractive: height, handsome face, etc.
-have a mission in life. NOT chasing girls. If girls are your life goal, women can pick up on it, it just bleeds out in your interactions and repels actually hot women away
-have good personalities: lots of social experience, doesn't objectify others, positive energy that draws people in, humorous, poised, etc.

Reading the responses you guys just don't meet these criteria. So too bad, until you become an overall better person you won't get the best women.
>>
>>1080730
So basically, supreme gentlemen on a hiatus from /r9k/.

Well, a troll pretending to be that anyway.
>>
File: img355.jpg (107KB, 443x762px) Image search: [Google]
img355.jpg
107KB, 443x762px
>>1080727
>>1080730

Actually, I've already fucked quite a few girls way out of my league for free here. Does that anger you, microdick? :^)
>>
>>1076557

Oh fuck I loved Kaifeng so much , one of my favorite cities as well as Luoyang. I stayed in Zhengzhou for a week and hated it. For those who don't know Henan province is the most crowded province. Went to Hangzhou right after and it felt like a ghost town. Always something to do in Kaifeng. Also to the guy who mentioned donkey meat soup, I had that stuff too, it was amazing. Was told 2 days later it was donkey and still felt like throwing up.
>>
File: 1373565207025.jpg (67KB, 583x423px) Image search: [Google]
1373565207025.jpg
67KB, 583x423px
>>1080951
>chink street meat
>out of anyone's league
Bud, the reason no one brags about fucking those broads on here is because it's not an accomplishment.
>>
File: 20150829_101321.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150829_101321.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1080955
I liked Zhengzhou but it's probably because I found the expats easy to hang with and there's a 4* hotel (Ai Shang) that always has big discounts so I stay in comfort. pic related

I can definitely see why somebody wouldn't like it, it's dusty and dirty and the traffic is crowded and chaotic.

Target Pub is fantastic though and the owner shouts drinks to new faces all the time.

>>109066
>trolls trolling trolls...
>>
>>1080966
>trolls trolling trolls...
>>
I'm looking for a university teaching job.

I know it's too late for Spring term, so I'd like to try to land something for next Fall. Does anyone know when they start hiring for the Fall term?

What's the best way to land uni gigs? What typical things do they ask you or have you do during the interviews? I'm guessing a standard demo?
>>
>>1081223
Shut the fuck up, and try to get a Spring term position. What do you mean it's too late? Teachers abandon ship all the time. I was originally hired four weeks into the semester.

The best way to find employment at a university is to already have experience at a university. You should be attractive and well-spoken.

(1) Open:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_China

(2) Google:
"List of universities and colleges in ____ (name of Chinese province)"

(3) Click on the Wikipedia link: (Example)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_and_colleges_in_Tianjin

Click on each of the schools, find their website, find "Contact Us," and then send in your CV/resume. You will do this hundreds of times, and you might get a job.
>>
>>1081238
>Shut the fuck up, and try to get a Spring term position. What do you mean it's too late? Teachers abandon ship all the time.

I was just about to say those exact words.
>>
>>1081238
Rude
Can't you talk normally
>>
>>1081307
>Rude
Shut the fuck up.
>>
Any expat working without a degree?

I got a job offer from a Chinese company which I would like to accept. I have work experience and they hire me as senior staff. I wanted to see if a degree was required but google gave me very mixed results and I can not find a proper official source on this.

(not teaching)
>>
>>1081724
You can always get work as a private or semi private tutor, without a degree. If you're lucky and you stumble upon some rich family looking to improve their child's English or w/en and you could get a pretty nice salary. A friend of mine got lucky and was being paid RMB400/hour.
I also tutored for a bit for a slightly lower fee. Of course, this generally won't make up for a full-time job unless you're able to tutor several different students at the same time.

Obviously the closer the job is to something official the more red tape there will be and the less likely it becomes that they will accept someone without a degree. In fact, it was my understanding that the Chinese doesn't hand out work visas to foreigners who don't have at least an undergraduate degree.
>>
>>1081733
Have you heard about expats that works normal jobs? Not teachers that is.
>>
>>1081739
Just Google the legal requirements for the Visa you will be coming in on.
>>
>>1081739
>Have you heard about expats that works normal jobs?
I haven't. You probably couldn't get a work visa. If you had permission to work because of a different visa, like a Spouse Visa, then you could work as a waiter I guess but you probably wouldn't get hired unless your Chinese was pretty good.

Every expat I know works in some specialised field or their own business or are hired because they're foreign/novel, like those Spring Festival delivery guys in Shanghai.

The most normal are probably engineers or managers who work for foreign companies managing, training or supervising Chinese teams. 5* hotels employ a lot of foreigners, does that count as a normal job? They don't work as cleaners or waiters though, head-chefs and concierges usually. I've met a few of them when going for a buffet breakfast in some fancy hotel in a tier 3 city that doesn't get many foreigners. They sometimes come out to chat and to check that they haven't lost their touch with western food.

I was once offered a job programming drilling platform logic controllers for a fracking project in Henan, that was a pretty normal job but there aren't enough of that sort of programmer in China apparently, it's actually too old technology for China to have a lot of people trained in it. I have my own work already though and didn't need the job.

If you want work in China, you probably better be very good at something that China can't do themselves.
>>
>>1075030
ill be in beijing for a while.

where can i go to pick up tourist girls? are there clubs or something tourists go to a lot? i guess sanlitun right?

Anybody know what ochinese areas a lot of foreign tourists go to party?
>>
>>1081964
Sorry that was taken out of context. By normal jobs I meant if any expat was doing a job that's not teaching, without a degree. I already have accepted the offer a company gave me.

It seems I will go and receive a Foreign Expert Work Permit. The confusion comes with this category also including teachers and professors who are required to have BA and 2 years experience or more.

If anyone cared
http://en.safea.gov.cn/2014-02/18/content_17289522.htm
Under III. Qualifications, 3.2 and 3.3 for teacher and 3.4 for me.

Thanks for the help though!
>>
Why are people still going to China when their economy is going to shit?
>>
>>1082109
I know, right? I left the United States in 2008 and haven't looked back. Remember when their economy turned to shit?
>>
>>1082109
China's economy isn't turning to shit. The whole world is experiencing another economic downturn. A country like China, still today, will almost certainly be hit less hard because they still have room to grow their economy. Don't buy into the anti-Chinese media propaganda.
>>
>>1082107
>By normal jobs I meant if any expat was doing a job that's not teaching, without a degree
Ok, yeah. I've met lots of expats that weren't teachers. Like I said, they're usually in a senior role supervising or training.

I've met some musicians on tour but I wouldn't count on them having an entertainment visa, probably just a business visa. I've met a few tourism related folk but they'd all be on business visas.

A few engineers overseeing factories in Shenzhen, diesel mechanics in Taiyuan operating and training Chinese to drive remote drilling machines, a few executives or managers of various foreign companies, a couple that started a business consultancy here...there's all sorts of stuff but it basically all counts as foreign expert in one way or other. Except that last couple but I have no idea what their visa situation is other than they do a fuck load of paperwork and decided is was less trouble for them to have a child in China than go back to the USA and have to redo paperwork to get the child into China afterwards.
>>
>>1082112
>China's economy isn't turning to shit
I'm on your side but I think you're wrong about this.

China's economy is tanking atm, it's just not the end of the story like people say and it isn't going to slow down English teaching at all, probably speed it up actually.

I know at least a dozen people that lost real money in the stock market crashes, people that think their pensions won't be there because the funds have been looted by officials, businesses that are closing down because they were in the construction sector or servicing it.

The economy here has real problems but a lot of them are really a correction rather than a recession. There was a boom and it got hyped and now it's correcting to where it would have been without all the hype and speculation. Well, some of it. Some of it is a real problem.

So, if you came here to get rich in real estate development, the party is fucking over.

English teachers don't need to give a shit about that and anyway, if they come on a contract then they teach for a year and go home and don't give a shit if the school closes later.
>>
>>1082145
>>1082112
>>1082110
Hey polfags, tell me how the RMB value will change over the next year please.
>>
>>1082220
RMB will remain mostly stable compared to other currencies because the gubmint still wants to keep it as a fixed exchange rate and the central bank still has the ability to do so. RMB is undervalued, blah blah, nothing will happen.
>>
>>1080726
bumping my question
>>
>>1082220
The Peoples Dollar doesn't change, it's fixed. You can buy almost the same things in China with it as you could in 1995.
>>
>>1082257
>>1082241
was hoping my salary would increase because of rmb going up, but I guess it's just dreaming

unless my poor man's country currency goes down I guess
>>
>>1082261
>unless my poor man's country currency goes down I guess
Your rate will change based on how your currency does against the US dollar.

The RMB is unofficially pegged against the USD. Obviously it can't be fixed against everything because then you could perform arbitrage between currencies, you can only fix against one currency basically giving away money.

Therefore, if your currency goes down against the USD, it will probably go down against the RMB as well.
>>
I am visiting a friend who works in Guangzhou, and I wanted some suggestions on where else to go. I will be in China for two weeks. I don't want to travel too far from Guangdong. It will be my first time traveling abroad. First time on an airplane for that matter.

I'm not really interested in shopping at all. I would much rather immerse myself in nature and temples for two weeks. With that in mind, and I realize this may sound stupid, is there a point to visiting cities like Foshan and Shenzhen? Right now I have my mind set on cities like Zhaoqing and areas like Fenghuang. Less tourist friendly, but more natural.

I'll also be visiting a friend in Lishui, Zhejiang, but I feel like there is more to do around Guangdong. Does that sound right?
>>
>>1082716
> is there a point to visiting cities like Foshan and Shenzhen?

Well, there's certainly a point visiting Hong Kong.
>>
>>1082718
But what about Foshan and Shenzhen? Will they just feel like smaller Guangzhous? Hong Kong is a definite, but only before I am going home.
>>
>>1082716
Foshan has a nice temple complex and you can reach it via metro so I'd say it's worth a visit
>>
File: 20150816_165033.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20150816_165033.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>1082716
>immerse myself in nature and temples
>>1082720
>Foshan has a nice temple complex and you can reach it via metro

Zumiao is worth a look, I assume that's what you're talking about.

Pic related is on a mountain on the edge of a suburb of Foshan, you take the metro to Foshan and then a bus/taxi out to the site. Satisfies both temples and nature requirements.
>>
>>1082740
>>1082720
>>1082718
Thank you. So, 2/3 days in Guangzhou (including Foshan). 1/2 day in Hong Kong (including Shenzhen). 1 day in Zhaoqing. 1 day in Fenghuang. 1/2 days in Lishui, Zhejiang. 1/2 days in Hangzhou, Zhejiang.

I still need a week of travel. What other cities/areas would you recommend around Guangdong and Zhejiang?
>>
>>1082765
You should spend more time in HK. 1/2 days isn't enough, especially if you want to combine it Shenzhen. You could easily spend a week just in HK and not get bored for an instant. You should also do 1/2 days in Macau while there.
>>
>>1082719
Just remember that Hong Kong is not China for visa purposes. You can most likely enter it visa-free. However, if you go to HK from China, it counts as exiting the country. That means if you start in China, and want to visit HK and then go back to China, you need a multiple entry visa.
>>
File: 20150503_174439.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150503_174439.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1082765
That's a pretty intense week and I think you're underestimating how long it takes to get around between stations and hotels and crossing borders etc.

I mean, you can day-trip HK from Shenzhen but you lose a few hours doing it. Are you counting travel time or just planning on overnight trains all the time? I find they're not that restful usually. I don't think I'd allow for 1/2 day anywhere, especially not Hangzhou which has some cool stuff to see. Admittedly, once you've done the lake then the old town is like a million others in China but there quite a few other things to see there if you want to take some time.

You could spend several days in Shenzhen too but you could also skip it, it doesn't have much 'ancient' to see, it's basically all modern stuff. One of the few places you can tour an aircraft carrier though (pic related, hanger deck).
>>
>>1081238

won't work. trust me.
>>
I work at this private tutor/after-school center, and it's legit, told the principle (or headmaster for you speakers of Queen's English) that I had no Chinese bank card so I got paid in cash for teaching 2 weeks during the winter vacation.

Basically, the English teachers for one reason or another (surgery, wedding, 回老家, etc) are unavailable for some time, and I'm the only English teacher here. And currently, I'm teaching 3 classes. Principle would have me teach 4 classes, but 2 of them are in the same time slot, so I can't exactly split myself in two (although the principle probably would if she could).

Note that, most probably because I'm Asian-American and not even out of uni, I work at 160块/hour.

How do I negotiate a pay raise without being an asshole, like threatening to leave? Or can do I have to be an asshole to get a raise? I rather like this school and the teacher, and the children are ok, could be worse, could be better but it's tolerable.
>>
>>1082145
>English teachers don't need to give a shit about that and anyway, if they come on a contract then they teach for a year and go home and don't give a shit if the school closes later.

It will affect us if the Yuan goes to shit like its projected to, and then we're being paid pennies for slave work.
>>
>>1083504
>It will affect us if the Yuan goes to shit like its projected to, and then we're being paid pennies for slave work.
Only if it crashes by something huge in the time that you're in China, which for all sorts of reasons, it's won't.

If it sinks slowly then you know what you're getting into when you come. It also only matters if you were saving money to take back home, if you were funding a year overseas then it doesn't matter because it will still have the same buying power inside China. That means that anyone coming for the long term or coming to just get away from home for a while is unaffected.

Anyway, it can't crash in the way you're talking about because it's a controlled currency. The yuan is unofficially pegged against the US dollar. Officially it's 'managed' against a 'basket of foreign currencies' which is just a way of saying that they reserve the right to fiddle with it and maybe adjust it based on Won/Euro/Yen/whatever. Basically it's pegged against the US dollar except when it's not.

So would the government decide to crash it for any reason? Probably not, they're shit-scared of popular dissent. Believe it or not, the communist party is actually pretty popular. People don't usually trust them but they approve of them and accept the corruption and repression as the cost of a stable government. The party is terrified that this might change which is why any big issues get heavy-handed control to prevent anything that might cause wide-spread dissent. A currency crash would make imported goods expensive and cause problems for the upper-middle class whose children are in western schools. It's this middle-class who have benefited most from modernisation and is the basis for the party's support and stability and they are the group they are most frightened of upsetting.

These currency controls are also why it's such a pain to get your money out of China like these people have found.

>>1075863
>>1075870
>>
File: b083fe96fac2183639632b.jpg (23KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
b083fe96fac2183639632b.jpg
23KB, 600x396px
>where is the underground music scene?

Well, today I learned where it USED to be.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2016-02/22/content_23597067.htm

118 arrested for drugs, 50 foreigners. In 'administrative detention' which is a kind of non-criminal imprisonment by the police. Not that big a deal except that you're imprisoned. They might have some sort of rehabilitation but unless they're considered addicts, it's unlikely.

Most of the rest were probably just sent home, chinese police are surprisingly soft on disorder, they're usually happy to just put a stop to whatever is causing a fuss.
>>
>>1083876

Wonder how many of those foreigners were African or other shitskin, and what percentage were whites.

I heard some Westerners died in Shenzhen a few months back from shady Nigerian cocaine.
>>
>>1083656

I came here to make as much money as possible in the quickest time possible. I'm not a scrub backpacker that smells like ass that wants to find myself traveling around China and SEA and partake in ladyboy hookers.

Without the money, this country is useless. I'm sure many other foreigners feel the same way. Not even the girls make it worthwhile to stay here.
>>
File: wenn20096252-1.jpg (543KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
wenn20096252-1.jpg
543KB, 1400x1050px
>>1083876
>>1083881
Not surprised. The drug dealing business is probably mostly blacks, but I imagine if this is linked to counter-cultural stuff it could just as easily be whites involved. Counter-cultural and rebellious/defiant attitudes towards authority are a Western import.
The way Chinese police behave makes sense to me, because the Chinese are generally content to stay in line and not cause a fuss. People like to joke about how chaotic and uncivilised things are compared to Japan but the reality is that the Chinese are pretty passive and harmless, just very rude, and waidi ren don't understand good manners and proper personal hygiene.
>>
Ordering something from Amazon for the first time. I live in a complex, so it will be stopped at the front gate. Should I include a message in the Name field ( 我不会说中文 ) telling them I do not speak Chinese, or will that just confuse them?
>>
I'll be living in Wuhan in 2 weeks.

For a city with a population of 10 million, how come I never see it being spoken about? There is very little information on the city that is in english, even on youtube.
>>
>>1083964
It's China. China is big.

>I come from a small town in China
>how small?
>Only about 5 million people
>>
>>1083964

it's kind of in the middle of china. gets hot as fuck all in summer, snows in winter.

known for spicy food and 'hot' girls like chengdu and chongqing. polluted. standard boring tier 2 shithole.
>>
>>1083886
>I came here to make as much money as possible in the quickest time possible
English teaching is not the industry for that then, you should have majored in finance.

English teaching is for slackers, it's not a get-rich-quick scheme.

>>1083890
>The drug dealing business is probably mostly blacks
That's probably true, there were only two arrests for dealing, the others tested positive in drugs tests. I guess everyone there was made to piss in a cup, they took nearly 500 people away initially.

>>1083964
>living in Wuhan in 2 weeks
It gets talked about a fair bit, it's come up in previous threads. What do you want to know? I've been there are few times for a few weeks I guess.

There's some really good italian food there but it's really hard to find.
>>
>>1083925
>Ordering something from Amazon for the first time. I live in a complex, so it will be stopped at the front gate. Should I include a message in the Name field ( 我不会说中文 ) telling them I do not speak Chinese, or will that just confuse them?
You better learn some Chinese.
Or use a friend's number on the order, they'll call that number when there's an issue or just when they're about to arrive.
>>
Ask someone who didn't get paid for two months, showed his boss the forgeries they made, got threatened with fake allegations, was told they would get the police involved, and did a runner on his supposedly "legit" overseas school anything about why China is the fucking shittiest country ever.
>>
>>1084106

>showed his boss the forgeries they made

Forgeries the school made with our signatures on them signing away our rights.

Worded that wrong.
>>
>>1084106

kek. were you the guy teaching math for over 20k RMB a month?

I'm surprised they would pull that shit. Usually it's the shitty English training centers that pay dirt.

You should have demanded your pay after the first few days it didn't arrive, or threaten to leave them. You need to establish with chinks that you won't be taken advantage of from the get-go, or they will walk all over you. Never confront them about their shady dealings and shyster-like cheating. The chinks have something called "face" in their culture, if you make them lose "face" or embarrass them, they will freak out, even kill you over it.

Anyway, be glad you got of out the shithole. Where will you go next?
>>
>move into new apartment
>without fail, some stupid fucking chink is doing construction work and hammering in the apartment above mine, late at night to boot

WITHOUT FAIL, EVERY SINGLE FUCKIN TIME

Every SINGLE time. EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. TIME. you move to a new apartment and even in most hotels, some fucking chink is hammering something in the floor above you

You sinophiles and chinks can't explain yourself out of this guy. You people are low IQ fucking morons that have NO regard for other people. A good portion of you seriously need to be exterminated.
>>
>>1084187
>le offended expat

How much longer do you have in the country? I hope you enjoy yourself.
>>
File: mad.jpg (20KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
20KB, 638x359px
>>1084187
>>
>>1084187
Dude, it's called having SEX.
He's probably just more alpha than you.
>>
>>1075030
The thread is past the bump limit and sinking fast.

New thread at: >>1084267
>>
>>1084262

Nice try faggot. Actually I brought a girl over here on my second night and was fucking the shit out of her.

You chinks are fucking retarded, low intelligence, uneducated overgrown children that don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Fuck that little emperor shit. you guys need to be smacked the fucking shit out of. Need to get decked in the face a few times and knocked out.
>>
>>1084278
You sound sexually frustrated, was it a Philippino prostitute you brought home for 70RMB and a pack of fags by any chance?
>>
>>1084151

We actually did demand our pay as soon as shit started happening, the only reason we didn't immediately walk out is because we didn't want to fuck over the students. The second day after I kept demanding my pay, as well with a ton of the other teachers.

4/10 of us walked out. The rest left were the losers who can't get jobs anywhere.

Fuck their face, the owner is "Chinese Canadian" so she can shove it. Over my time I learnt that some Chinese just have no shame to speak of. I've never had the problems I had in China in any other Asian country.

I have had offers in other places in mainland but I honestly think China is dull and boring, and I was in Shanghai. Just went home for now.
>>
I will be traveling to Beijing this April. How bad is the pollution? Should I always be wearing a mask?
>>
>>1084282
Only 70 RMB? That's pretty solid.
>>
to those of you who moved to china, what did you do with your old phone number? did you even keep it? i know you can port it to GV, but not sure if it is even worth hanging onto it.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.