[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to America

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

Hey guys, I got some questions about moving to the States, mainly about which cities would be best to move to. Looking to avoid the more common places to go like new york and LA.

I am in the language teaching industry and looking to get into a managers position, so the city has to be large enough or diverse enough to have quite a lot of language schools.

But at the same time I want to be in a short drive of good skiing mountains, less that an hour and a half would be ideal.

So any advice on that would be great, but i have some questions about a few cities as well

>1. Is Albuquerque a nice place to live? how close are the mountains?

>2. What is Salt lake city like? How weird is it living with all the mormons?

>3, Is Milwaukee as depressing to live in as i've been led to believe? Are there many language schools this far north?

>4. And generally what are your opinions on Denver, Boston and Seattle?
>>
>Moving to the USA
>Thinking that you can just plop down on any ol' city, live the manager life, ski and milk cows for oil

There are so many wrong things about this, I'll let someone else rip you a new one, also good luck
>>
>NJ hotdog

lol wtf is a nj hotdog. If anything it would our NJ subs or like our zeppole's.
>>
>>1073986
I have a masters and have seen plenty of job offers for managerial positions for recent graduates.
Also I'm an american citizen, I just wasn't born there and have never lived there.
So it isn't going to be that difficult, I already live outside of the country I grew up in.
>>
File: OP.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>1073993
So you're asking the internet for advice about YOUR own home country?

Mods do your job and delete this shit.
>>
File: autism.jpg (22KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
22KB, 400x265px
>>1073993
>>
>>1073973
Western NY, especially Buffalo is a great place to begin in the US. Cost of living is very low, very vibrant, varied culture, harsh yet beautiful winter and, perhaps most important for you: within a half a day's drive of Chicago, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, and other cities you'd probably want to sample before committing to.
>>
>>1073995
I've never lived there and neither has my american parent

I know as much as anyone whose never lived there.
>>
>>1074004
Oh and you're very close to the Adirondacks and the Catskills. Some of the best skiing turf I've ever seen.
>>
>>1074004
It looks like a really nice small city, cheers man.
Do you know if there are many immigrants in the city? Cause the jobs i apply for will probably be in teaching English.
>>
File: retard.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>1074012
>Moving to America to teach English
>teach English
>English

This is the most retarded thread I've seen in /trv/ for quite a while.
>>
>>1073973
>1. Albuquerque
All I know. I went there for a conference. The entire downtown was shut down by 8pm. I couldn't find anything to eat when I got in. It never got any more interesting.

>2. Salt lake
I was there for a couple days to wingman for my friend. Outside the city was pretty. The mormons are very polite. Their churches are crazy pointy.

>3. Milwaukee
Ugliest city I've ever seen in the US. But I just went through on a train. Other people have told me they like it.

>4. Denver
Gone several times. Just a big city. You can see the mountains, but they are still a bit of a drive. The altitude and dry air takes some time to adjust to.

>Boston
There for another conference. Seemed pretty cool. I hear the locals are kind of jerks.

>Seattle
Live there a bit. Lots of hipsters. The mountains are pretty. The rain all winter isn't really that bad, personally. The summers are excellent.

>the real problem
I have no idea what is a "language school". I'm not sure the US has them. And most Americans don't give a damn about other languages. You should have a job, or at least some interviews set up before you arrive.
>>
>>1074019
In the industry, I'm also aiming for an low level managerial role in a language school or university.
And there is are plenty of business that teaching migrants in most major cities in english speaking cities.
This is a country with a huge immigration rate and where 30% of the populations first language is Spanish.
Not to mention I can work in a school that does other languages if I simply go for a role other than teaching.

It's really not that ridiculous.
>>
>>1074025
>Not to mention I can work in a school that does other languages if I simply go for a role other than teaching.

Like cleaning the toilets?

Please, whatever you do, don't stop typing. I'm laughing my ass off over here at you.
>>
>>1074023
thanks for the advice and opinions, nowadays with the internet I wouldn't think of going without an interview arranged, but from seeing online job boards there doesn't seem to be a major lack of positions
>>
>>1074025
Ok, I see some more problems. You aren't getting a job at a University without a PhD. Even with a PhD, you won't be getting more than a crap job without being lucky enough to win the lottery. This is not meme shit, look up "adjunct professors in the US".

Also, seriously, make sure "language schools" actually exist. Maybe they do, I have no idea. But you should do some research.

Lastly, only 10% of people speak Spanish as their first language. Almost all of those people are poor. They learn English in public school or on the job. They do not pay to learn.
>>
>>1074032
I don't know what you're issue is believing any of this.
But if it is that hard to believe you must live a pretty damn boring life.

http://jobs.eastern.edu/position_page?pid=98

There's plenty of job offers like this on the internet and I'm qualified to do it.
>>
>>1074040
"Language schools" are everywhere, it is a very common thing for people to learn foreign languages in their spare time.

For example, buffalo the other anon mentioned has plenty

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=language%20school%20buffalo%20ny&es_th=1

And you don't need a phd, these are for learning the language as an optional course, not aimed at dedicated language students.
Most universities hire people with an MA in tefl or a related subject, which I have.

I don't really understand your issue with the situation.
>>
>>1074012
We actually have a fuckton of African refugees, English teaching jobs are in demand. You'd do nicely here anon.

And if you don't like American Football, you will once you move here.
>>
>>1074050
Thanks for the info man, and I'm open to getting into the sport a bit. The only one that doesn't appeal to me is baseball.
>>
>>1073973

Bostonfag here, have lived here all my life even though I've traveled quite a bit. Don't move here. It sucks. The people aren't friendly and the weather is miserable. I'm really just tied down here because of family and every time I go to another state, everyone is so much friendlier, even in New York. Boston is good to visit but sucks to live in. Also, you're good to stay out of LA/ NYC/ SF, the cost of living far outweighs the higher pay you'll receive. You'll have a better quality of life in other cities even though you'll make less money. Austin Texas, and Atlanta Georgia are both good places to check out.
>>
>>1074041
Ok, I see what you mean. Admin at a no name christian school in the suburbs. Maybe you can get this, but honesty, I'd still expect they actually want a PhD.

>>1074045
It seemed you meant schools that specialize in just teaching languages. That seems quite uncommon to me. I don't think your job prospects are very good. So I'd want a job before I moved to another country. But hey, it is your field. You should know more about it than I do. Here this may help, unemployment rate by state, http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

>>1074050
Um, lots of the african refugees speak english already. source: all the Eritreans near my house.
>>
>>1074087
>Um, lots of the african refugees speak english already
Yeah and the ones from DRC and IC don't. What's your point?

OP would thrive here, I'm trying to help the man out, stop talking just to make noise.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 175x288px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 175x288px
>>1074019
>I'm moving in to the UK/US/AU
>am going to teach English
>wanna be manager right off the bat
>I also have additional preferences
>I don't actually have a job offer yet
>I am on a chink chonk memeboard for advice
the thread

You have to suck a few cocks and to be willing to re-locate, friendo.
Do you have a visa that will allow you to live&work there?
I mean, WHAT.THE.FUCK. are you doing right now, explain yourself
>>
>>1074063
No problem. Feel free to leave contact info if you'd like to HMU for help getting settled should you decide to make Buffalo your home.

Oh, and it's called "The City of Good Neighbors" for a reason. Everyone takes care of everyone.
>>
File: FT_15.10.29_africaImmigration_2.png (39KB, 640x520px) Image search: [Google]
FT_15.10.29_africaImmigration_2.png
39KB, 640x520px
>>1074092
Nigeria, #1, english speakers.
Ethiopia #2, often english speakers.
Ghana #4, english speakers.
>>
>>1074093
I don't really see why i'm bothering to explain this.
But I've already moved abroad multiple times, I've taught English for a few years and a have an MA in it, which qualifies me for junior management positions.

I currently live in the Netherlands teaching at a private language school that specializes in business English skills.

>>1074095
It's at least a year off so I won't be going that soon, but thanks for the offer.
Putting Buffalo on the list of potential places.
>>
>>1074101
Did I stutter? What is your visa, or are your plans to waltz in, become manager and live the sweet life? You're teaching in a non-native English speaking country, you twit. Christ.
>>
>>1074102
If you had read the thread you'd know I'm and American citizen, I'm a dual national who has never lived in the states. I'm British, so I am also a native, I'm in no way hindered by also being foreign.

And the plan is to apply for a load of jobs in the city of my choice, I do also have savings for the eventuality that I need to take time to find a job.

and there are plenty of positions all over the country, I just want to narrow it down.
I wasn't really looking for career advice, just opinions on what those cities are like and suggestions of other ones.

And again, I am qualified for most of the manager/center director positions I have seen.
>>
File: 1451030057147.jpg (133KB, 776x678px) Image search: [Google]
1451030057147.jpg
133KB, 776x678px
>>1074095
>Unironically recommending Buffalo or anywhere in the rust belt for that matter for someone to live in.
>>
>>1074104
Fine, you know what you are doing (I remain suspicious.) Just choose some place from the better unemployment data I posted in, >>1074087

All I know is you like mountains. That means anything east of Denver is out. (The Appalachians are not the mountains you are looking for.) So do you want a small town or a city?
>>
>>1074115
Definitely cities, from medium to large I feel is best, just so there is plenty to do and enough job opportunities.
Between 200,000 - 800,000 or so population.

It's a fairly large range but I'm quite flexible, and obviously I'm going to need a holiday or two to check the cities out
>>
>>1074119
Well, Denver, Salt Lake, and Seattle are fine. Also Portland, Oregon maybe. A little bit smaller places are closer to skiing, if you can get something set up before you arrive. Boulder, Colorado; Provo, Utah; Anchorage, Alaska (not as cold as you'd think, plus I think they still pay you to live there.)
>>
Look at this dumbshit, has a bachelor degree in his shithole third world country and thinks that he can waltz into any language school in America with his 6 month McDonald's experience and diploma and run the place.

You're gonna get eaten alive, Anon
>>
>>1074151
What's with all the projecting?
>>
>>1074106
Seriously.

Last person I met from Buffalo (a colleague for a short time) was a NEET girl, total weeb, closet lesbian (boy haircut, boy jeans, huge Buffy fan, went to a girls-only university), socially awkward, mid-20s and lived with her parents. All weird, but whatever... right? Until I discovered she's a hardcore racist. Sheeeyit. I'm talking /pol/tier language use, in public, in real life, total tinfoil hat-style racism.

She may have had mental issues, or maybe it was just an upstate New York thing.
>>
>>1074152
I think he summarizing the typical live in Japan response
>>
>>1074006
how does that work? ambassador's kid?
>>
>>1073973
Alright OP I'm gonna tell you about a city called Eugene. It's a DECENT city, not big but not too small either. It is an hour away from the coast, an hour south of the capital, 3 hours south from Portland, an hour away from skiing, 2 if you want to go to a better mountain. If you travel anywhere east you can find trails, rivers, lakes, mountains to climb, waterfalls, places to explore, etc. With that being said, there is only a few diverse schools in town but they are rated high and might fit to your liking depending on what is interesting to you. It may not be for you but it may be worth your time to look into it?

>Seattle
Seattle is enjoyable, bigger city than what I'm used to considering I've lived in Eugene but trying to go to cities all around PNW. I went with my girlfriend who was raised in Japan and said it gave her a big city feeling like Tokyo. Seattle is only an hour or two from good skiing as well. Not sure about the diversity of language schools but I would assume it would have a fair amount. It is a cool atmosphere to be in, but I'm not quite sure if I'd pack up and move there because of it. Friend we visited said Seattle has a very high cost of living and would want to move soon-ish because of it, but still loves Seattle.

Hope this helps, cheers
>>
The amount of attack the OP is getting is pretty confounding.
Anyways I would say San Diego.
Skiing isn't really a thing anymore because of the drought, but it's a great city that all my British friends loved.

Utah and Colorado I would also say are nice places, don't be too afraid of the Mormons and hipsters. Though I will say I find Denver to house a good amount of assholes.

Finally, the Adirondacks and White mountains are fantastic, so I'm second in the Buffalo suggestion, or really anywhere in New England that isn't Boston. Cheers and good luck.
>>
>>1073973
>2. What is Salt lake city like? How weird is it living with all the mormons?
I have never lived there, but have visited a few times--I have weird Mormon in-laws. I also have a non-Mormon high school classmate with whom I am still in touch who went to university there and fell in love with the area. It's more than a little weird. Roughly half of the city is made up of Latter Day Saints. But it's also beautiful and abnormally clean for a medium-sized American city. If the culty church makes you really uneasy, you might prefer Denver and/or Boulder, which share SLC's mountain-town/outdoorsy ethos without the religious insane people. Boulder is especially easygoing.
>>
>>1074637
Aside from the MBTA what's wrong with Boston?
>>
>>1074650
Well, honestly I can't stand the Accent and the people. Haven't lived there though just spent some time, so its anecdotal tbqhwyf.
>>
>>1074637
The attacking comes from a good place... We just don't want to see people ruin their lives with unrealistic goals because nobody wants to tell it like it is.

Silly ideas like flying 8 hours to eat at an Indian buffet or going treasure hunting with your summer job money have few if any repercussions if they fail. Flying halfway across the world on the assumption that you can strut in somewhere and get a high paying job is a recipe for disaster.

I'm harsh because I care.
>>
Buffalo is your best bet... ignore the other retards.
>>
>>1073973
Buffalo is your best bet. And please ignore the retards who don't care to thoroughly read everything posted.
>>
>>1073973
Come to Wichita Kansas my friend. Big enough to feel like a big city, small enough to enjoy the cost of living.
>>
Id stay in the uk, america is third world in a lot of areas, especially their healthcare.
Its only really good if your top priorities are decent weather and a large house. If you can manage to live without those, then america isnt really worth moving to unless you come from a shithole like somalia or el salvador.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.