[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/ im going to Marseilles for a month this July as a part

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 6

File: Marseille-corniche.jpg (977KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Marseille-corniche.jpg
977KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /trv/ im going to Marseilles for a month this July as a part of my University's study abroad program. Got any tips/suggestions for me?
>>
>>1073668
criminal as fuck!
after u get past that it's nice esp. in july - try to go around the city as it's not the best bit

Avignon, Apt, Lacoste, Aix, St Tropez etc

but great parties in marseille - mama shelter is nice, cool and affordable
>>
File: Gorges du Verdon 3.jpg (433KB, 1202x802px) Image search: [Google]
Gorges du Verdon 3.jpg
433KB, 1202x802px
>>1073668
Well yeah you'll see a lot of blacks/arabs and the city has a reputation for crimes but it's like pretty much everywhere just don't go in the bad parts and be smart. Do you speak French ?
As for the things to see in Marseille, the port, the old town, the cathedral and the basilica, eating the famous "bouillabaisse" (sort of fish soup), and other stuff but I've been there once only
Then you have the whole Provence region around which you should 100% check out. There's the Calanques national park, the endless lavender fields, the "sentier des ocres", the wetlands of the Camargue, the cities of Aix-en-Provence, but mostly the line Arles/Avignon/Orange (tons of Roman and medieval things in each), the impressive canyon of the Verdon (pic related)...
>>
File: Sentier des Ocres 2.jpg (410KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Sentier des Ocres 2.jpg
410KB, 1200x800px
>>1073715
>>
File: Luberon 2.jpg (181KB, 1024x487px) Image search: [Google]
Luberon 2.jpg
181KB, 1024x487px
>>1073715
>>1073717
>>
File: Calanques 2.jpg (3MB, 2884x1915px) Image search: [Google]
Calanques 2.jpg
3MB, 2884x1915px
>>1073719
>>
>>1073715
>>
Euro 2016 Semi-Final at the Velodrome
>>
As always it depends on what you're looking for, but the area called La Plaine (place Jean Jaures) is cool; lots of bar & restaurants, there's a market on Saturdays. A bit too hipsterish for my taste but it's nice.
The Castellane area has got lots of places to go out to, there's also a market on Saturdays along the Prado avenue.
The quarters at the bottom of Notre Dame re worth exploring, tiny streets and old village vibe but I can't speak of anything specific.
You've got the Noailles quarter which also has a market, you go there and it's like being in North Africa (not necessarily in a bad sense).
Speaking of which, if that's your thing you could go see the "flea market" at the Arnavaux in the infamous Quartiers Nords. There's a covered market kinda Covent Garden meets Bab-el-oued (and I've been to Bab-el-oued), nice maghrebi food there for cheap. But do not go there on Sundays when the actual flea market is on.
Still in the northernish parts of Marseille you've got L'Estaque, a tiny port which can be pretty nice visiting when the weather is good (as is often the case).
On the opposite side of the city there's Les Goudes, again a little port. This is the southeastern limits of the city and the beginning of the Calanques. Like L'Estaque, this used to be an independent village which at some point has been administratively attached to Marseille, except it kept kinda isolated hence a preserved village vibe - be aware it gets crowded on weekends especially in summer.
Actually, this used-to-be-a-village stuff applies to all quarters of the city, some kept a peculiar vibe, some didn't.
It can be nice just to drive around those quarters but it's not like there's something specific to see.
Depends if it's your thing I guess.
I used to drive around Sainte-Anne, Mazargues, go down to Montredont or all the way to Les Goudes, pretty nice views.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.