[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cool things in your country/area

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

File: louth-755.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
louth-755.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
figured it would be cool to share some of the neato things around us that a lot of tourists miss

out in the middle of the dessert sort of near louth there is this monument/pillar called the "fire stone".
a man built it so that on it cast a reflection on his wifes grave some distance away on her birthday

nobody really knows how he worked out the angles, or how he got all the stone that way out,
they think maybe paddle steamer and horse drawn cart

it's very Australian, but people miss it because it's in the middle of nowhere, (at the risk of offending locals) it's the only thing of note in a hundred miles
pic related
>>
like there is nothing out there but this cross
>>
File: Chêne d'Allouville.jpg (190KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Chêne d'Allouville.jpg
190KB, 1200x900px
Well there's this in my department
>>
File: Chêne d'Allouville 3.jpg (151KB, 1045x684px) Image search: [Google]
Chêne d'Allouville 3.jpg
151KB, 1045x684px
>>1073394
It's the oldest oak in France, estimations are between 800 and 1000 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%AAne_chapelle
>>
>>1073395
wow, could it really be that old, or is that just part of the folklore?

looks like witches should live there
>>
>>1073398
No it really is that old, it's been tested
The folklore says the tree was planted for the birth of Normandy (the city's there) and that William the Conqueror stopped there.
This can't be verified but the tree itself is from the IXth century according to recent estimations
>>
>>1073399
it's great that the tree is actually interesting
I saw the oldest tree in northern vietnam a few years back and it was just a tree in a forest, not big, or special

in australia there is a fairly widespread belief that you shouldn't burn wood from a tree that's been hit my lightning
some say it's dangerous, some say it won't burn, some say it's just bad luck

one might suspect that the french villagers did not really want to burn the tree down, pretty comfy
>>
When I live on my own I'd love to do couchsurfing down here in the southeast. I live in Georgia but can drive to SC easily.

>Stone Mountain
Confederate Mount Rushmore, a lot of flag rallies and militias hang out there on important days
>Fort Mountain State Park
Mysterious ruins of an Indian wall, weird because the local tribes never built in stone
>Rock Eagle Effigy
A very large stone bird in rural Georgia that nobody can explain. It looks to predate organized tribes, but it's not a burial ground and no ceremonial objects were found. There's another less impressive one 40 miles away.
>Oyotunji Village
Very interesting village of African separatists who pravtice Voodoo and have their own king, will give you a tour that lasts up to 2 hours for like $10
>Savannah
Coastal town that's so beautiful that General Sherman refused to burn it down on his march through Georgia
>Old Sheldon Church Ruins
Destroyed by the British in the Revolutionary war and Sherman in the Civil war, a few miles from the African village
>Gullah Geechee communities
Descendants of the slaves that inherited the plantations on the islands of South Carolina when their masters fled, they live communally but are vanishing fast.
>Georgia Guidestones
Mysterious monument that the locals think is tied into a worldwide conspiracy. It calls for the creation of a global government, global language and to reduce population to half a billion
>Brasstown Bald
Impressive mountain in north GA, highest in the state
>Dahlonegah
First American gold rush, you can still pan for gold and river raft there.
>>
File: Allouville-chene.jpg (43KB, 351x386px) Image search: [Google]
Allouville-chene.jpg
43KB, 351x386px
>>1073402
I guess the tree has always been kinda "sacred" around here. The village was never destroyed by war or whatever so the tree was safe, people didn't run out of wood either, there has been several different churches inside, people living inside (a priest wrote during the 18th cent he managed to fit 40 children inside) etc
Pic related an engraving of the tree from the same century
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.