[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to New York. Which neighborhoods / ZIP codes would be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: NYC-1.jpg (620KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NYC-1.jpg
620KB, 2000x1000px
Moving to New York. Which neighborhoods / ZIP codes would be best to look for apartments where I won't have to worry about being shot or stabbed or robbed, without paying $3000 a month for rent, of course.
>>
>>1071614
Try Queens. Scout for neighborhoods near subways and els. Some places are sketchy but if you want to save some money,its worth a try.
>>
Sounds like you shouldn't move to New York.
>>
>Which neighborhoods / ZIP codes would be best to look for apartments where I won't have to worry about being shot or stabbed or robbed, without paying $3000 a month for rent

Move to North Jersey or Eastern PA and commute to the city.
>>
If not 3000, then how much are you willing to spend per month (in total)? My cousin was living in Astoria with 2 kids for a while til they moved to Nashville..so I assume it's not that bad.

You might want to consider something like Jersey City, close to the path train, although rent prices are most likely about the same as in some of the "other" boroughs (not manhattan).
>>
Astoria or Sunnyside or St. George.

You'll definitely get shot in some parts of St. George, but I think it's an underrated option for the city. Probably going to blow up soon. It's on the tip of SI, which has a free ferry 24/7 to lower Manhattan. Takes about 30 minutes.
>>
>>1072737
Not all parts of JC are close to the Path. Buses are divided into NJ Transit,private lines and jitneys.
>>
>>1071614
Uptown manhattan, sunnyside, queens... Look into those
>>
maybe if you told us what the hell you are doing in ny for a living and where that is we could be more helpful its a big place ya heard?
>>
I'll likely be working in Manhattan at an ad agency, unless I can find one that's in Brooklyn, Queens, etc. (near wherever I'd be living).

Otherwise, I'd like to be within a few blocks from a train so i don't have to walk a long time in the snow during the winter. This isn't super high priority as I'd prefer finding a short lease (6 months / month to month) and find a more permanent apartment once I get there, but with the way rentals go in NY, I doubt finding a short lease is easy.

I'd like to spend less than $1500 a month on rent. Preferably less than $1000, but I know at that low it either means living with 4 people in a tiny apartment, or living in a sketchy area that I'm not familiar with, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
New York City is a very socially progressive city. That's why there's no evidence of racial segregation on interactive census maps of the city, like this one: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/08/us/census-race-map.html?_r=0
>>
You can try Hoboken NJ and find a roommate.
>>
is New York really as expensive compared to 40 years ago as everyone says it is? what's the reason? tourism? gentrification? does it make it a shitty place? harder to survive? kill culture?

curious if any long time residents have an opinion on the matter
>>
>>1071614
All of N.Y. is a crapshoot when it comes to not being mugged, shot, knifed, robbed or murdered.
>>
File: 18vdocpet5o7rjpg.jpg (78KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
18vdocpet5o7rjpg.jpg
78KB, 800x600px
>>1073639
>>
>>1073639

New York is extremely expensive because:

1. Manhattan was overtaken by big bankers. You know, those guys who needed the government to bail them out so they could take huge bonuses. They bought/rented all the super nice apartments in manhattan and made the rent go sky high so no one else can afford it.

2. Brooklyn - Hipsters. It was a decently inexpensive place with easy access to manhattan after that had become too expensive, and after the early hipsters moved in, all the brewpubs, coffee shops, and whatever other hipster businesses moved there because they had hipster customers living there. Then after it's a happening place full of cool businesses, more rich people move there and the rent once again goes sky high. Gentrification 101.

3...as for Queens, etc. I don't know. I just know I've been to Flushing Queens and it was pretty cool, but took about an hour to get to manhattan. I'm not trying to commute to work for an hour every day by train. Kind of defeats the purpose of living there and that time could be justified with a higher rent in a closer area. Time is money, after all.
>>
>>1073640
Wherever you live it's still worse than New York. In the crack epidemic,NY wasn't even in the top 20 of the most dangerous cities.
>>
>>1071614
I don't know much about the area.
But surely you could live in Jersey City or Newark.

Seems closer to manhattan than many of the boroughs
>>
>>1073365
the fuck is the deal in crown heights ? Why is it a bastion of whiteness in the middle of the dark ?
>>
>>1073365
>those black dots on rikers

fucking lol
>>
>>1074410
Orthodox Jewish enclave.

>>1074304
I wish people would shut up already about hipsters in Brooklyn. Blaming the enigmatic 'hipster' for all the boro's problems and changes is getting old.

>>1073357
Finding a short lease is easy if you choose to sublease. People leave for months at a time and rent their apartments out. Check the fb group 'gypsy housing'.
>>
>>1073639

NYC is ridiculously expensive, and you aren't getting anything fancy with those high costs. I like living small, but these studios that cost 3k aren't even that nice. It's honestly a retarded place to live for the average person. And that extends into Connecticut and NJ. Super high prices for homes/apartments. Super high prices for public transit. Super high taxes.
>>
>>1074452
There are plenty of decently sized 1-bedrooms in Queens. Astoria/Sunnyside/Woodside has tons of them for ~$1500. Those are nice neighborhoods with good transit, plenty of bars, restaurants, etc.

I moved to NYC from Seattle and didn't find prices to be that outrageous comparatively. Granted, Seattle isn't exactly cheap either. Obviously NYC isn't going to be as cheap as a place like St Louis but it's not unbearable once you leave lower Manhattan.

There are millions of families, middle class people, students, etc living here. Not everyone is a millionaire. I wouldn't want to live in Tribeca anyway even if I could afford it...
>>
>>1074461

1.5k is nothing to scoff at. that's a lot of money. You're spending at least 20k a year with that price for a place to sleep. And It's a long commute for being so close to lower manhattan.
>>
>>1072753
The community, drinking, and fun you have in Astoria is fucking great
>>
>>1074419
awesome, thanks!
>>
>>1074452
looks like you're just a poorfag.
>>
>>1074471
Wages are generally higher in NYC. You also save money on transportation, etc. It's a trade off.

Yeah $1,500 is not cheap. That's why most people rent a room for much less than that and live with roommates. It's a tradeoff. You could live very cheaply in Toledo, Ohio if you wanted but that's another tradeoff I'm not willing to take.
>>
File: 1453481089188.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1453481089188.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>1074851
> commuting from Toledo to NYC
>>
>>1073365
They should of made blacks red so its easier to spot the danger zones.
>>
>>1074861
Toledo's ridiculous. But LOADs of people commute from Eastern PA/ NJ to NYC daily.
>>
>>1074419
Hasidics who are stricter than orthodox. And there are different Hasidic groups.
>>
>>1074861
Obviously I wasn't suggesting you could commute from Toledo to NYC. I said it's cheaper to live/work in Toledo. If cost of living is your prime motivating factor for choosing a place to live and work, NYC is not where you'd want to be. There are other reasons 8 million people choose to live here.
>>
what about living in/around chinatown? I stayed in a hostel there for a week and it seemed like a good spot.
>>
What is the absolute rock bottom rent in NYC for a single person? $1500?
>>
>>1075609
Much less than that if you rent a room. If you want your own studio, you can find one for ~$1,000 without getting too far from civilization. It really depends on what you're looking for. It's insane how people think everyone here is rich - they aren't. This city wouldn't function if poor people couldn't live here.
>>
Try yonkers or riverdale. As close as possible tothe river. You can take the metro north to the city or drive on the henry hudson parkway/ westside highway for west side major deegan for east side.
>>
>>1075573

there are three major chinatowns, two of which are bigger than manhattans, and several minor chinatown neighborhoods. many ppl do not understand the scale of the full city. which is understandable, you cant see everything on a short visit. that said, i wouldnt rec living in a chinese building. they scream a lot and weird smells.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (80KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
80KB, 413x395px
>>1075836
>you can find one for ~$1,000
>>
>>1071614
I suggest Hoboken
>>
File: circumcision01643.jpg (146KB, 735x490px) Image search: [Google]
circumcision01643.jpg
146KB, 735x490px
>>1075097
>>
>>1073365
>http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/08/us/census-race-map.html?_r=0
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. The chicago map is pretty crazy how it's segregated. blacks south, white folk north.
>>
>>1074304
>>1073641
What are the alternatives to gentrification then? keep the place the same old shittiness that it was?
>>
>>1075909
Gentrified neighborhoods were never shitty. They were usually working class places, not luxury but far from dangerous.

There's a reason why people move to Brooklyn and not the Bronx
>>
Honestly queens is the most underrated place for affordable housing...
In elmhurst i paid ~$600/month to live with three roommates. Similar in woodside.
or you can pay less than 2k for 1br somewhere for youself.

As for safety, lets just say queens is neither the safest place nor the most dangerous places. Youll be fine unless you move to jamaica.
Sunnyside woodside are nice and quiet, pretty homogenous. Elmhurst is full of Chinese and indians but its lively and entertaining
>>
>>1075836
Lmao this asshole at my job got a place to himself for 1200

Shits in far rockaway
Its got far in its name for a reason
>>
>>1073639
NY is what it is now because Guliani and Bloomberg made it a playground for the rich.
>>
>>1074407
>Newark

Unless you absolutely need to be near New York I don't recommend this.
>>
I've been living in Bushwick Brooklyn for 4 years now. I have the L train and the JMZ which both get to the city fast 15+ minutes. The area is totally safe and full of young people (25+) Night Life is amazing and the area definitely has to be one my favorites of the city. Me and my buddy split a industrial loft for 750 each. If you wanna stay on the island try harlem, upper east side. Studios on the east side can be had for around 1200+ a month. Wish you the best.
>>
File: 1446697047894.jpg (90KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
1446697047894.jpg
90KB, 960x716px
>>1076438
Where do you look for "industrial loft" listings?
>>
i do not understand (at all!) people who move to harlem just to stay in manhattan.
like great, you can say you live in manhattan but you're just gonna get major side-eye if you say 'harlem'

the commute to midtown (where most jobs are) is just as far, if not farther, as commuting from queens or parts of brooklyn.
>>
>>1075877
>>1076155
I found several studios in Washington Heights / Bronx for around $1000 when I was looking a couple years ago. Obviously not great places, I went with roommates instead, but if living alone is your priority it's not impossible.
>>
>>1076438
Sounds like you live in McKibbin lofts. I go there for parties sometimes.
>>
>>1073639
Rent controls reduce the supply of apartments keeping prices artificially high in Manhattan. Also foreigners from non-diversified economies (China, Brazil, Russia, ME) snatching up property like mad as an investment
>>
I live in east harlem, which has become about 5x more safe in the last few years. Rents are pretty reasonable for manhattan I pay 1440 for a studio, but it's in a building that's only 4 years old, so it's extremely clean and nice and new, wifi included, doorman etc.

Commute to midtown is pretty good compared to discount outer borough neighborhoods.
>>
Upper East Sider here. I pay 1250 per month for a little less than 400 sqft. I'm only a block from the park and ten blocks south of 96th street. My rent last year (before I resigned) was 1205.
>>
>>1077387

My post, 1250 is a typo, it is actually 1350 now, last year was 1205.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.